PDA

View Full Version : Its hard to take the national sports hosts seriously

JALMOND
July 3rd, 2020, 07:30 PM
Today being the "observed" holiday, my normal local sports talk radio was not on and a national sports talk show was on instead. There was one take by a Pac-12 talking head from LA that had me slapping my forehead with his stupid comments. Here is what I heard from him, talking about how the Pac-12 football teams should address this coming football season.

"We need to try to isolate as much as possible in a bubble because we cannot assume that other non-conference teams have the ability to test like we do. Take for example the South Dakota States and the Sacramento States and all the rest of the D2's that we are playing this year. We know they don't have the funds to adequately test for the virus. Even the San Diego States and the rest of the WAC don't have enough in their budget to thoroughly test for the virus either."

Give a person a microphone and they will show you just how big of an idiot they can be. Hard to fathom that this person gets paid for being an "expert".

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 3rd, 2020, 08:13 PM
#1: it is a CA talking head

#2: We are the FCS and an afterthought to them

ElCid
July 3rd, 2020, 09:17 PM
#1: it is a CA talking head

#2: We are the FCS and an afterthought to them

Has anyone ever taken them seriously? They are mostly idiots.

Herder
July 4th, 2020, 07:13 PM
Today being the "observed" holiday, my normal local sports talk radio was not on and a national sports talk show was on instead. There was one take by a Pac-12 talking head from LA that had me slapping my forehead with his stupid comments. Here is what I heard from him, talking about how the Pac-12 football teams should address this coming football season.

"We need to try to isolate as much as possible in a bubble because we cannot assume that other non-conference teams have the ability to test like we do. Take for example the South Dakota States and the Sacramento States and all the rest of the D2's that we are playing this year. We know they don't have the funds to adequately test for the virus. Even the San Diego States and the rest of the WAC don't have enough in their budget to thoroughly test for the virus either."

Give a person a microphone and they will show you just how big of an idiot they can be. Hard to fathom that this person gets paid for being an "expert".

The D2 comment, or the "don't have funds" comment? I'm not sure I totally understand your angst. The MVFC Commissioner said that test for the football season could be as much as 500,000 dollars, so the FBS teams with 25-50 million in annual TV revenue are better suited to pay for this testing.

JALMOND
July 5th, 2020, 01:37 PM
The D2 comment, or the "don't have funds" comment? I'm not sure I totally understand your angst. The MVFC Commissioner said that test for the football season could be as much as 500,000 dollars, so the FBS teams with 25-50 million in annual TV revenue are better suited to pay for this testing.

The whole comment just shows how uninformed they really are. Not only by thinking that FCS is D2, but also stating that the WAC still plays football. They like to brag that, being that they know so much about the Pac-12, they are an "expert" on college football as a whole. Then they say things like that. That's why I tend to value the opinions here and on CS. Most of you have a better understanding about college football than they do. Its sad that they get paid to be uninformed.

UpstateBison
July 5th, 2020, 01:47 PM
The whole comment just shows how uninformed they really are. Not only by thinking that FCS is D2, but also stating that the WAC still plays football. They like to brag that, being that they know so much about the Pac-12, they are an "expert" on college football as a whole. Then they say things like that. That's why I tend to value the opinions here and on CS. Most of you have a better understanding about college football than they do. Its sad that they get paid to be uninformed.

Reminds me of Jay Walker talking about the FCS. Clueless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
July 5th, 2020, 01:57 PM
Reminds me of Jay Walker talking about the FCS. Clueless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is the worst.

Jay "when I played in the league" Walker

Jay "which way is the buffet" Walker

Jay "they are playing at a high level" Walker

Herder
July 5th, 2020, 06:12 PM
Sometimes it’s ignorance. Sometimes it’s not ignorance, but an intentional slight to degrade the FCS level. There is plenty of the latter.

Iridebikes
July 6th, 2020, 08:03 AM
Personally I'm not surprised by this persons attitude. The PAC-12 has to puff itself up due as it has become irrelevant the last couple of years on the national stage of football and basketball.

AmsterBison
July 6th, 2020, 11:19 AM
Heard something very similar on ESPNU radio this morning.... not sure if it was the same person because I switched channels immediately.

ASU33
July 6th, 2020, 03:39 PM
FCS football is a niche sport. It may not feel like that in states like North Dakota or Montana but in actuality most people know little to nothing about FCS Football.

Wildcats
July 6th, 2020, 06:52 PM
Crazy thing is that I think there might be even less awareness about FCS than D2. Cant tell you how many times I've had to explain that FCS is NOT D2 and even then some people are still like "wait so you mean they're D1 in everything but football?"

JacksFan40
July 6th, 2020, 07:12 PM
The FCS is kind of a weird thing, since no other division is divided like this. There’s no D-2A or D-2AA.
Either way the National sports hosts are idiots for the most part and only talk about the SEC.

cx500d
July 6th, 2020, 07:40 PM
The FCS is kind of a weird thing, since no other division is divided like this. There’s no D-2A or D-2AA.
Either way the National sports hosts are idiots for the most part and only talk about the SEC.
Are there D2 or D3 teams that won't take part in the championship should they otherwise qualify?

Sader87
July 6th, 2020, 09:54 PM
Are there D2 or D3 teams that won't take part in the championship should they otherwise qualify?

NESCAC winner doesn't participate in the D3 football playoffs I believe.

Bill
July 6th, 2020, 10:39 PM
NESCAC winner doesn't participate in the D3 football playoffs I believe.

Sader,
You are correct - and they are even MORE insular than Ivy league football, only playing a conference schedule.

veinup
July 7th, 2020, 11:22 PM
Crazy thing is that I think there might be even less awareness about FCS than D2. Cant tell you how many times I've had to explain that FCS is NOT D2 and even then some people are still like "wait so you mean they're D1 in everything but football?"

to me this all goes back to the 1A/1AA to FCS name change. it’s been a long, long time and i still have to explain to people that FCS and D2 are different things. the way the naming is doesn’t help. like if i tell people the football team i follow the most is in the division under the ‘big boys’, they’re like “oh so it’s D2?”. at which point i have to do the lame explanation of the divisional naming conventions..

caribbeanhen
February 2nd, 2021, 05:26 PM
FCS football is a niche sport. It may not feel like that in states like North Dakota or Montana but in actuality most people know little to nothing about FCS Football.

true words! Lot’s of college football fans are clueless about FCS, in fact almost all