PDA

View Full Version : Delaware State sticking with the MEAC

bluedog
June 30th, 2020, 04:33 PM
https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/30/delaware-state-sticking-with-the-meac/

Daytripper
July 1st, 2020, 10:06 AM
Not sure how this is in the long term best interest of DSU athletics.

hottlee
July 1st, 2020, 10:13 AM
Having to win just five games to get a share of $2mil might be a pretty good reason.

Professor
July 1st, 2020, 10:24 AM
Having to win just five games to get a share of $2mil might be a pretty good reason.

Exactly. Way easier to win a conf with 5 conf games.

aceinthehole
July 1st, 2020, 12:50 PM
Agree staying in the MEAC right now is the best deal for DSU, Howard, and the rest. The only sport at risk of losing the AQ in the MEAC is baseball - and I could see the remaining MEAC teams joining the Summit as "affiliates" and playing an East-West Division setup.

Basically, DSU has a "Plan B" if the MEAC can't maintain it membership. While we might not know the details, I'm sure there is an understanding between DSU and the NEC. I'm most interested in knowing what, if any, requirements the NEC has on DSU and vice versa. Most importantly, what MEAC partner would most likely join the NEC with Delaware State - Howard or Morgan State?

The MEAC can hang on, and the NCAA revenue shares to the remaining members should increase and travel is more compact, so there is some positives here for DSU.

NY Crusader 2010
July 1st, 2020, 07:03 PM
Agree staying in the MEAC right now is the best deal for DSU, Howard, and the rest. The only sport at risk of losing the AQ in the MEAC is baseball - and I could see the remaining MEAC teams joining the Summit as "affiliates" and playing an East-West Division setup.

Basically, DSU has a "Plan B" if the MEAC can't maintain it membership. While we might not know the details, I'm sure there is an understanding between DSU and the NEC. I'm most interested in knowing what, if any, requirements the NEC has on DSU and vice versa. Most importantly, what MEAC partner would most likely join the NEC with Delaware State - Howard or Morgan State?

The MEAC can hang on, and the NCAA revenue shares to the remaining members should increase and travel is more compact, so there is some positives here for DSU.

Howard. Staying in (and saving) the MEAC sounds like an OK short-term proposition for Delaware State. Problem is, if/when the MEAC inevitably folds, DSU may lack a landing spot a few years from now. If I'm the MEAC right now, I'm begging Winston-Salem State and Savannah State to reconsider DI.

SUPharmacist
July 1st, 2020, 11:37 PM
How many years are left on the current Celebration Bowl contract? This seems like a steal for the MEAC members, will the SWAC members continue to be happy if the size of conferences is so unbalanced?

Aceinthehole, I do not follow conference alignment issues closely. Do you think your affiliate member baseball scenario is something that could actually happen? I know the Summit needs baseball members for stability, but it seems like the schools from the 2 conferences are quite different and are not geographically close enough for it to make sense for either group. Although personally it would be fun to see some different programs for variety.

bluedog
July 1st, 2020, 11:43 PM
How many years are left on the current Celebration Bowl contract? This seems like a steal for the MEAC members, will the SWAC members continue to be happy if the size of conferences is so unbalanced?

Aceinthehole, I do not follow conference alignment issues closely. Do you think your affiliate member baseball scenario is something that could actually happen? I know the Summit needs baseball members for stability, but it seems like the schools from the 2 conferences are quite different and are not geographically close enough for it to make sense for either group. Although personally it would be fun to see some different programs for variety.

This is the final year of the original contract. The SWAC has absolutely nothing to do with what goes on within the meac and isn't concern about it one way are the other.

SUPharmacist
July 1st, 2020, 11:53 PM
This is the final year of the original contract. The SWAC has absolutely nothing to do with what goes on within the meac and isn't concern about it one way are the other.

Fair enough. Just feel like it would be frustrating to split the money 50:50 when the odds of making the game from one conference will be much greater. Regardless the CB looks like it has been very beneficial to both conferences.

bluedog
July 1st, 2020, 11:59 PM
Fair enough. Just feel like it would be frustrating to split the money 50:50 when the odds of making the game from one conference will be much greater. Regardless the CB looks like it has been very beneficial to both conferences. I get it. But I'm sure if you really look. Most bowl games have conferences whose team had an easier route than the other. Whether it be less teams participating or one conference having a championship game to earn a birth and the other just choosing one with the better conference record.

OhioHen
July 2nd, 2020, 06:23 AM

The proposal was a divisional split - 5 Summit schools in the west and 5 MEAC schools in the east. Each set could play amongst themselves and the division champions meet in a predetermined location for a championship series to determine the NCAA autobid.

Ivytalk
July 10th, 2020, 07:15 AM
Delaware State appears to be acquiring D-III financial basket case (and erstwhile FB power) Wesley College. Lots of variables/uncertainties, including financing the acquisition.