PDA

View Full Version : DSU to NEC rumor is getting legs...

WestCoastAggie
June 24th, 2020, 08:10 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB0_sNlFzLH/?igshid=1iav8jxlphx6z

DFW HOYA
June 24th, 2020, 08:31 PM
Sadly, when schools start jumping ship, others will sink.

TheKingpin28
June 24th, 2020, 08:44 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB0_sNlFzLH/?igshid=1iav8jxlphx6zWould they rework the Celebration bowl to be the SWAC championship instead? Cant see it happening once the MEAC collapses in on itself.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Laker
June 24th, 2020, 09:24 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB0_sNlFzLH/?igshid=1iav8jxlphx6z

It would be interesting if both DSU and Bethune-Cookman would leave. I doubt if they could get any replacements then.

aceinthehole
June 24th, 2020, 09:56 PM
If invited, DSU would give the NEC 11 members - I would guess a second invite would follow to make an even dozen.

Howard?
Morgan State?

DFW HOYA
June 24th, 2020, 10:03 PM
If invited, DSU would give the NEC 11 members - I would guess a second invite would follow to make an even dozen.

Howard?
Morgan State?

New Haven.

https://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-sp-university-new-haven-sheahon-zenger-20190904-20190904-gtansaqirvh43nj4wveqg327vu-story.html

ColonialInsider
June 25th, 2020, 02:26 AM
If the NEC adds two eastern seaboard teams like Delaware State and New Haven, don't be surprised if Saint Francis looks to leave.

It wouldn't be easy, mind you. Loretto is rural, doesn't carry a media market, and Saint Francis has mediocre facilities and funding.

But without a travel partner in RMU, the Red Flash are going to be awfully isolated in the NEC.

Laker
June 25th, 2020, 06:22 AM
If the NEC adds two eastern seaboard teams like Delaware State and New Haven, don't be surprised if Saint Francis looks to leave.

It wouldn't be easy, mind you. Loretto is rural, doesn't carry a media market, and Saint Francis has mediocre facilities and funding.

But without a travel partner in RMU, the Red Flash are going to be awfully isolated in the NEC.

Where would they go?

WestCoastAggie
June 25th, 2020, 06:32 AM

They could always join the MEAC.

aceinthehole
June 25th, 2020, 06:33 AM

Their “travel partner” is now Mt. St. Mary’s.

I think the best result for SFU would probably be adding some combo of DSU/Howard/Morgan in the DC/Baltimore area.

The NEC is definitely a I-95 bus league. The MAAC is nearly the same footprint, just a little more centered around NYC + the 2 outposts in Buffalo.

Those Western PA teams (Pitt, DUQ, RMU, Penn St., and SFU) are generally isolated from their peers regardless of the conference.

The Red Flash don’t really have a choice - every league would require East Coast travel.

OhioHen
June 25th, 2020, 07:00 AM

I am amused xlolx (bemused? xconfusedx) by referring to a location in Pennsylvania as being "isolated" from the eastern seaboard. The state line with Ohio is less than 400 driving miles to Philadelphia. And isolated Loretto is more than 100 miles closer.

DFW HOYA
June 25th, 2020, 08:02 AM

St. Francis is one of the five original members of the conference dating back to 1981. They're not looking to leave.

Original_RMC
June 25th, 2020, 08:10 AM
St. Francis is one of the five original members of the conference dating back to 1981. They're not looking to leave.

Everyone is always looking but never anything official. I'm sure with RMU jumping ship it made other athletic departments go "WTF...we are not traveling there...lol" but then again I'm sure there are many are saying "Why them? Why not us?"

We know if CCSU or Wagner or Bryant got the right invite, they are gone from the NEC.

For SFU, it might be a tough move. They would have to invest a lot into their Athletic Facilities. I'm sure many individuals here know the state of the football stadium and basketball arena.

aceinthehole
June 25th, 2020, 09:30 AM
A few thoughts:

I don’t think SFU is looking to go anywhere. They are very competitive in the NEC and have been successful winning championships. Not many willing suitors either.

Loretto is pretty remote and off the beaten path. Very similar issues to St. Bona and Colgate, as they are not on a major interstate. Of course we are talking “East Coast” rural, not America West distances and isolation.

While I’m certain that CCSU, Wagner, and Bryant would like to play basketball in a higher rated and higher profile league than the NEC, I doubt they are actively seeking membership. Sure, they would likely have discussions with the MAAC, AE, or Patriot, but I think they are comfortable where they are. What fans want is not always the same thing that ADs and Presidents are thinking.

I think a conference with a real geography and revenue/expense problem is the A-10. Post-COVID, they have to be looking at travel and costs. From MA/RI to NYC, Philly, Richmond, and NC - plus upstate NY, Pittsburgh, Ohio, and St. Louis.

WestCoastAggie
June 25th, 2020, 10:04 AM
A few thoughts:

I don’t think SFU is looking to go anywhere. They are very competitive in the NEC and have been successful winning championships. Not many willing suitors either.

Loretto is pretty remote and off the beaten path. Very similar issues to St. Bona and Colgate, as they are not on a major interstate. Of course we are talking “East Coast” rural, not America West distances and isolation.

While I’m certain that CCSU, Wagner, and Bryant would like to play basketball in a higher rated and higher profile league than the NEC, I doubt they are actively seeking membership. Sure, they would likely have discussions with the MAAC, AE, or Patriot, but I think they are comfortable where they are. What fans want is not always the same thing that ADs and Presidents are thinking.

I think a conference with a real geography and revenue/expense problem is the A-10. Post-COVID, they have to be looking at travel and costs. From MA/RI to NYC, Philly, Richmond, and NC - plus upstate NY, Pittsburgh, Ohio, and St. Louis.

The only conferences that can survive with that kind of footprint are those that can pull in a Big East kind of TV Deal. The A-10 could do it but that's about it. Everyone else has to begin thinking about regionalization and keeping travel costs down, especially if you are reliant on student fees to cover athletic expenses.

ColonialInsider
June 25th, 2020, 04:02 PM
Their “travel partner” is now Mt. St. Mary’s.

I think the best result for SFU would probably be adding some combo of DSU/Howard/Morgan in the DC/Baltimore area.

The NEC is definitely a I-95 bus league. The MAAC is nearly the same footprint, just a little more centered around NYC + the 2 outposts in Buffalo.

Those Western PA teams (Pitt, DUQ, RMU, Penn St., and SFU) are generally isolated from their peers regardless of the conference.

The Red Flash don’t really have a choice - every league would require East Coast travel.
Yes, if the NEC adds a DC school like Howard or Morgan State alongside Delaware State, it'd be more palatable to the Red Flash. Another Connecticut/Rhode Island/Massachusetts school like New Haven would be tough to swallow, though.

And the options would be severely limited outside of the NEC. I think we're just on the cusp of realignment at the FCS level, so who knows what conferences will look like five years from now. I just brought up Saint Francis' status as it's surely something the school is worried about now that RMU is gone.

DFW HOYA
June 25th, 2020, 04:22 PM
Everyone is always looking but never anything official.

No, some schools don't look and then have no good options. If the Big East had collapsed, Georgetown might have ended up as a basketball independent. To football, I don't think they give much thought to what happens if the PL fractures.

WestCoastAggie
June 25th, 2020, 04:53 PM
I'm telling you now... Don't be surprised if this whole conference collapses June 30th.

DFW HOYA
June 25th, 2020, 05:37 PM
I'm telling you now... Don't be surprised if this whole conference collapses June 30th.

I trust your view on this. The MEAC has been dysfunctional for years and the June 30 deadline can make schools act quickly. Remember this from one year ago?

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/It-s-official-UConn-is-back-in-the-Big-East-14051900.php

WestCoastAggie
June 25th, 2020, 09:09 PM
I trust your view on this. The MEAC has been dysfunctional for years and the June 30 deadline can make schools act quickly. Remember this from one year ago?

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/It-s-official-UConn-is-back-in-the-Big-East-14051900.php

Man, UConn made the wrong decision chasing that Football money. But I'm telling you, the MEAC disfunction rivals the 2000s Big East disfunction.

cx500d
June 25th, 2020, 10:33 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/4gi5nU2Yz5jvG/200.gif

downbythebeach
June 26th, 2020, 07:34 AM
I would love to see Morgan State, Delaware State, and especially Howard in the NEC. New Haven not so much. I have never really heard of them outside of the blue field and tbh I wasn't too excited for Merrimack. When it comes to D2 teams I would rather have Shepherd U (West Virginia) or West Chester/IUP (PA).

aceinthehole
June 26th, 2020, 07:58 AM
I would love to see Morgan State, Delaware State, and especially Howard in the NEC. New Haven not so much. I have never really heard of them outside of the blue field and tbh I wasn't too excited for Merrimack. When it comes to D2 teams I would rather have Shepherd U (West Virginia) or West Chester/IUP (PA).

I completely agree. I wish we didn’t have Merrimack now and we could invite all 3 schools and get to 12 teams. But with 10 schools already, I’m hesitant to go above 12.

IMO - Howard is the wild card. I don’t see the Patriot extending them an invite, regardless of some of the internet chatter. I’m guessing HU wants to go somewhere with HBCU partners, such as the Big South (Hampton & NCAT).

You have Norfolk State, NC Central, and SC State likely looking to Southern options (Big South, ASUN) and Delaware State and Morgan State looking North to the NEC.

What does Howard do and who do they want to “stick with” in a post-MEAC landscape?

I’m not sure HU wants to join the NEC, but might consider it if it was the only option available. Again, I think it would be a huge coup for the NEC if we could reel in Howard and Delaware State as new members.

Anthony215
June 26th, 2020, 10:41 AM

West Chester only offers 7 scholarships for football so that's never happening lol. IUP if they can somehow break away from the PASHEE they'd be a great addition to the league and would instantly be contenders. They already compete with RMU/Duquesne/St Francis for recruits and win their fair share. Their new BB arena would instantly be the best in the league and their football stadium would fit in with the rest of the league being underwhelming and unable to get top 10 teams outside of PA from playing on the road lol.

downbythebeach
June 26th, 2020, 04:08 PM
What about Saint Francis moving to the MEAC? Their has been statements about them wanting to leave the NEC (years ago). If they could get Mt. Saint Mary's to go to it would fit well geographically. These are the teams they typically play OOC in many sports anyway. BTW it is being reported that the MEAC is pursuing non HBCUs.

WestCoastAggie
June 26th, 2020, 04:48 PM
What about Saint Francis moving to the MEAC? Their has been statements about them wanting to leave the NEC (years ago). If they could get Mt. Saint Mary's to go to it would fit well geographically. These are the teams they typically play OOC in many sports anyway. BTW it is being reported that the MEAC is pursuing non HBCUs.

Would you play in a bowl game against the SWAC in Atlanta and not go to the playoffs?

dgtw
June 26th, 2020, 05:48 PM
I would hope the remaining MEAC schools are looking for the next spot on a lifeboat. They can survive with their current 8/6 setup, but if one more football school bails they are in trouble. The MEAC office is holding its breath until midnight Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downbythebeach
June 26th, 2020, 06:15 PM
Would you play in a bowl game against the SWAC in Atlanta and not go to the playoffs?

To be fair we typically don't make the playoffs anyway. We were only in it once. I wonder if it would be worth it financially. We are just at the point where we have enough scholarships to play FBS schools. Our first is this year at Buffalo.

WestCoastAggie
June 26th, 2020, 08:22 PM
To be fair we typically don't make the playoffs anyway. We were only in it once. I wonder if it would be worth it financially. We are just at the point where we have enough scholarships to play FBS schools. Our first is this year at Buffalo.
Interesting perspective.

NY Crusader 2010
June 27th, 2020, 06:49 PM
Any chance Winston-Salem State or Savannah State consider moving back to DI to save the conference? I would imagine phone calls have been made from the MEAC end of things. What about Virginia State moving up? This scenario could be likened to putting a band-aid on a bullet wound but may it be worth a shot? Outside the box: any non-HBCU D-II or NAIA schools that would take a MEAC invite just to use the conference as a springboard to Division I?

My realistic opinion of where everyone ends up:

Morgan State => CIAA; would have local rival in Bowie State
Delaware State => NEC; good geographic mid-point between the NY/CT contingent and the St. Francis/Mt. St. Mary's/Duqesne (football only) contingent
Coppin State => NEC or America East (travel partner for UMBC)
UMES => CIAA
Howard => CAA/Patriot/NEC; Bison probably would be the most sought after institutionally; most prestigious HBCU & DC location; I would actually like seeing them in the Patriot League but not sure what level the AI would realistically hand-cuff their ability to recruit.

Norfolk State => CAA; good geographic fit, replaces Old Dominion with presence in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach market; key area for recruiting
NC Central => Big South/ASUN alongside A&T
SC State => Big South/ASUN or SOCON
B-C => SWAC
FAMU => SWAC

WileECoyote06
June 28th, 2020, 02:40 AM
We done here yet?

DFW HOYA
June 28th, 2020, 09:24 AM
We done here yet?

I think so. The league should be set for 2020-21, unless someone has a 48 hour surprise ahead of it.

2020-21, schedule uncertainty or not, is going to be a year where every MEAC school has some trustees looking at hard decisions, and others just looking for the door. It's not a strong enough group that non-HBCU's would be interested in joining, any Division II call-ups are going to be too late, and there is no conference that needs to take in four of five of them to maintain its own stability.

Some things to watch for:

1. Does Del State get more vocal about looking at other conferences?

2. Outside of UMES restarting football, which could stabilize the MEAC short-term, are there any realistic options for the Maryland HBCU's beyond the CIAA?

3. What are the conversations between A&T and NCCU?

Lehigh Engineer
June 28th, 2020, 12:43 PM

Saint Francis has mediocre facilities and funding.

With credentials like these - they could join Georgetown in the Patriot! :)

dgtw
June 28th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Let’s say Delaware State says they are leaving Tuesday night. That leaves the MEAC with just five football members for 2021. I wonder if losing the auto bid would allow the others to leave after July 1 without having to wait until 2022.

WestCoastAggie
June 28th, 2020, 03:40 PM
Let’s say Delaware State says they are leaving Tuesday night. That leaves the MEAC with just five football members for 2021. I wonder if losing the auto bid would allow the others to leave after July 1 without having to wait until 2022.

If that happens, they could always work out an agreement with the ASun and Big South for a partnership

Pinnum
June 29th, 2020, 10:52 AM

How could the Celebration Bowl continue if St. Francis was admitted into the MEAC?

Isn't the major selling point of the Celebration Bowl the fact that it the de facto HBCU National Championship?

I think the conference will hold with their current membership. It is a small conference and the core members will get more benefit out of the smaller conference.

aceinthehole
June 29th, 2020, 01:12 PM
I think so. The league should be set for 2020-21, unless someone has a 48 hour surprise ahead of it.

2020-21, schedule uncertainty or not, is going to be a year where every MEAC school has some trustees looking at hard decisions, and others just looking for the door. It's not a strong enough group that non-HBCU's would be interested in joining, any Division II call-ups are going to be too late, and there is no conference that needs to take in four of five of them to maintain its own stability.

Some things to watch for:

1. Does Del State get more vocal about looking at other conferences?

2. Outside of UMES restarting football, which could stabilize the MEAC short-term, are there any realistic options for the Maryland HBCU's beyond the CIAA?

3. What are the conversations between A&T and NCCU?

Agreed. I see the NEC heading into 2020-21 with the current 10 schools (7 football teams).

Even if DSU announces they are leaving the MEAC for the NEC in the next few days, I doubt it will be effective for this upcoming season. I imagine that the folks at DSU have had enough conversations with the NEC to have a good idea on next steps if, or when, they've given up on the MEAC.

Things I'm interested in knowing:

1) What is the post-MEAC plan for Howard - is the Patriot a realistic option, or just internet chatter?

2) Is DSU working behind the scenes lobbing Morgan State or Howard to join them in the NEC?

3) What schools can realistically be placed in ASUN/Big South in a post-MEAC landscape?

Schism55
June 30th, 2020, 10:50 AM
https://twitter.com/stevenjgaither/status/1277989159433633792

About that....

ASU33
June 30th, 2020, 01:29 PM
Can we kill this now?xconfusedx

TheKingpin28
June 30th, 2020, 02:45 PM
So which D2s go to the MEAC now that the exodus has subsided for at least 1 year.

walliver
June 30th, 2020, 03:09 PM
So which D2s go to the MEAC now that the exodus has subsided for at least 1 year.

With all the uncertainty for sports this year, as well as the financial well-being of many schools, I doubt anyone is seriously looking at the expenses of moving up.

dgtw
June 30th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Can we kill this now?xconfusedx

Still a few hours left until they are committed for 2021-22. But I think it would have been announced by now.

Pinnum
June 30th, 2020, 03:16 PM

I don't see why the MEAC needs anyone new.

The Celebration Bowl is dead, right? I mean, I don't see it continuing with the change in the MEAC membership.

I don't see the SWAC expanding further.

So what is the appeal for NCCU to jump ship? They can schedule AT OOC.

Why would SCSU jump? They can now win the conference and get the playoff bid.

Why would Howard jump? They are centrally located in their conference and can keep playing Hampton OOC.

The whole conference eliminated their long trips.

The MEAC schools now have an easier path the playoffs in basketball and football. They have less sharing in NCAA money.

I don't see there being much reason for any of the current MEAC to look elsewhere. The conference from two years ago is so different than the one that will next year.

TheKingpin28
June 30th, 2020, 04:18 PM

The Celebration Bowl is dead, right? I mean, I don't see it continuing with the change in the MEAC membership.

Why would Howard jump? They are centrally located in their conference and can keep playing Hampton OOC.

The MEAC schools now have an easier path the playoffs in basketball and football. They have less sharing in NCAA money.

I don't see there being much reason for any of the current MEAC to look elsewhere. The conference from two years ago is so different than the one that will next year.

The MEAC gave up their autobid for the playoffs with the Celebration bowl. If they want their autobid back, there would be 11 autobids, but I do not know if the NCAA would give it back after they "voluntarily" left to go compete in a bowl.

If Howard wants to go to PL, those schools would be hard pressed to reject them with today's climate and push back from society.
DSU is going to want to go to the NEC to cut down on travel and adding Morgan St would be a wise travel partner
NCCU will want to join the Big South as the rivalry between NCAT is too big to let go
SCSU is not going to want to be the only southern team left so I could see the Big South taking both NCCU and SCSU and kicking RMU and Monmouth to the curb to eliminate those travel costs.
RMU and Monmouth would most likely try to convince northern CAA teams to break off and form a more closely knit football only conference the likes of Albany, Maine, UNH, URI, and SBU.
I could see NSU being offered CAA membership to replace those lost teams to the new northern football only conference

ASU33
June 30th, 2020, 05:24 PM

-No. The Celebration Bowl isn't dead.
-Correct the SWAC is not extending that far out

NY Crusader 2010
June 30th, 2020, 05:36 PM
The MEAC gave up their autobid for the playoffs with the Celebration bowl. If they want their autobid back, there would be 11 autobids, but I do not know if the NCAA would give it back after they "voluntarily" left to go compete in a bowl.

If Howard wants to go to PL, those schools would be hard pressed to reject them with today's climate and push back from society.
DSU is going to want to go to the NEC to cut down on travel and adding Morgan St would be a wise travel partner
NCCU will want to join the Big South as the rivalry between NCAT is too big to let go
SCSU is not going to want to be the only southern team left so I could see the Big South taking both NCCU and SCSU and kicking RMU and Monmouth to the curb to eliminate those travel costs.
RMU and Monmouth would most likely try to convince northern CAA teams to break off and form a more closely knit football only conference the likes of Albany, Maine, UNH, URI, and SBU.
I could see NSU being offered CAA membership to replace those lost teams to the new northern football only conference

I would actually enjoy having Howard in the PL. I see the AI being a much bigger issue than political pressure -- to the point where I don't think Howard would even want to join the conference. According to our resident data geek on the Holy Cross forum, the average test scores for football players are significantly below the student body averages. And many would be below the hard AI floor. So my current best guess is Howard to the NEC.

I think you're right that Norfolk State could end up in the CAA. League used to have a major presence in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area with Old Dominion and NSU would fill that void. In me "where they end up" MEAC blow-up prediction list, I had Morgan State to the CIAA with in-state rival Bowie.

Why not South Carolina State to the SoCon? I don't see the Big South booting Monmouth (b2b champ) and Bob Morris (literally just admitted for football). But I find your creation of a new conference with the northern CAA schools interesting. Would become America East Football.

TheKingpin28
July 1st, 2020, 08:37 AM
I would actually enjoy having Howard in the PL. I see the AI being a much bigger issue than political pressure -- to the point where I don't think Howard would even want to join the conference. According to our resident data geek on the Holy Cross forum, the average test scores for football players are significantly below the student body averages. And many would be below the hard AI floor. So my current best guess is Howard to the NEC.

I think you're right that Norfolk State could end up in the CAA. League used to have a major presence in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area with Old Dominion and NSU would fill that void. In me "where they end up" MEAC blow-up prediction list, I had Morgan State to the CIAA with in-state rival Bowie.

Why not South Carolina State to the SoCon? I don't see the Big South booting Monmouth (b2b champ) and Bob Morris (literally just admitted for football). But I find your creation of a new conference with the northern CAA schools interesting. Would become America East Football.

I get the test score side of it, but adding the DC footprint to pair with Georgetown for Football and all other sports with Navy would be a nice get. I can see why the NEC would be appealing, but I stand by my point if they push hard enough for the Patriot League, the league does not want that negativity and would accept them for that reason alone, even if the NEC is a better position.
I can see Morgan St dropping down as well as they are a relatively small school and saving on travel in the CIAA would be a smart thing to do. Getting NSU in the CAA if that northern conference split happens would be huge.
If that northern conference happens, RMU and Monmouth would be hard pressed to not join that conference for travel purposes, which bring us back to adding NSU to that list of new CAA teams.
SCSU could go to the SoCon, but that would disrupt their 8 game conference schedule. While I do believe they would be a good geographical fit, I do not know if those schools would want to go to a 9 game schedule or be forced to miss a team every 2 years. Adding them to the Big South and/or ASUN would be a logical fit. Sure they would have 9 football members (minus RMU and Monmouth). Campbell, GWU, CSU, Hampton, NCAT, KSU, tUNA, SCSU, NCCU
Getting that new "America East" football conference would be a nice get as they would take the MEACs autobid but not increase the amount of autobids. By doing this, making a conference of Albany, UNH, Maine, URI, SBU, RMU, Monmouth they could entice YSU to leave the Valley (YES PLEASE), and by a long shot, convince UMass to drop to FCS and round out their 9 football schools. The American East football conference by adding YSU could convince their members they will only play either RMU or YSU on the road and the other game would be at home to save on travel costs. Since UMass is going to say no to that in a heartbeat, why not try and steal Nova from the CAA? They would partner real well with Monmouth for travel on football costs.

I created an Excel spreadsheet of what I thought would be solid 9 team conferences and it worked out geographically speaking, quite well.

BigBlueMU
July 1st, 2020, 08:57 AM

Why would any of these teams jump from the CAA because of MU and RMU?? Travel aside, I would think those teams are very happy where they are. I am still concerned for Monmouth (and RMU) long term as the BS is becoming even more aligned with teams in their core market. Unless there is a huge East coast conference shake-up, Monmouth stays in the BS unless the CAA comes calling for full membership (long shot I know).

UNHWildcat18
July 1st, 2020, 09:00 AM
UNH MAINE URI ALBANY SBU are never going to trade JMU W&M UD Nova for RMU Monmouth or any meac school

America east football would never exist unless
JMU went FBS
UR,W&M went to soconn(doubtful)
Towson UD to AE again. (more doubtful)
URI Nova join as affiliates.
even with that dream scenario, they probably wouldn't add anyone. Maybe Monmouth for football if they did an addition to the other side of the stadium which is far below CAA standards in terms of capacity

TheKingpin28
July 1st, 2020, 09:29 AM
Why would any of these teams jump from the CAA because of MU and RMU?? Travel aside, I would think those teams are very happy where they are. I am still concerned for Monmouth (and RMU) long term as the BS is becoming even more aligned with teams in their core market. Unless there is a huge East coast conference shake-up, Monmouth stays in the BS unless the CAA comes calling for full membership (long shot I know).

UNH MAINE URI ALBANY SBU are never going to trade JMU W&M UD Nova for RMU Monmouth or any meac school

America east football would never exist unless
JMU went FBS
UR,W&M went to soconn(doubtful)
Towson UD to AE again. (more doubtful)
URI Nova join as affiliates.
even with that dream scenario, they probably wouldn't add anyone. Maybe Monmouth for football if they did an addition to the other side of the stadium which is far below CAA standards in terms of capacity

I was looking at this as more of a cost cutting exercise. I get that those northern schools would not want to drop the strength of the conference, but if it does happen where budgets are significantly slashed, I would not be surprised to see those northern schools try and break away to keep their budgets down for football.

walliver
July 1st, 2020, 10:10 AM
With the Florida schools leaving, travel expenses will go down for the remaining schools, so there may be some more incentive to stay.
SC State, however is having financial difficulties, and may seek out full Big South membership. The non-football Big South is a geographically compact conference limited to the Carolinas and Virginia . A ASun/Big South deal would be a financial disaster with all the Florida (and Alabama) travel for non-football sports. The SoCon isn't looking for new members unless someone unexpectedly leaves.

aceinthehole
July 1st, 2020, 01:21 PM
I think the solution for the MEAC baseball problem is pretty simple too. Just join up with the Summit League as baseball-only affiliate members and play an East-West divisional schedule.

West Division (5) - Omaha, Oral Roberts, North Dakota St., South Dakota St. Western Illinois
East Division (5) - Coppin St., Delaware St., Maryland-Eastern Shore, Norfolk St., NC Central

Pinnum
July 2nd, 2020, 09:45 AM
I think the solution for the MEAC baseball problem is pretty simple too. Just join up with the Summit League as baseball-only affiliate members and play an East-West divisional schedule.

West Division (5) - Omaha, Oral Roberts, North Dakota St., South Dakota St. Western Illinois
East Division (5) - Coppin St., Delaware St., Maryland-Eastern Shore, Norfolk St., NC Central

Most of those teams already travel south for some early season games. So the conferences could actually open the season with their divisional cross over games by bringing teams together--most likely when they have shared spring breaks. So it wouldn't have to be completely separate divisional play.

The biggest issue would be agreeing on which conference will sponsor baseball. Both the Summit and the MEAC will want to be the sponsoring conference.

Now, this would probably be solved by the MEAC taking the Summit League teams this upcoming season, before the MEAC is below the number of teams, since the Summit is below the minimum this upcoming season. But the problem with that is that there would be five teams in the Summit (west division) and eight teams in the MEAC (east division) which is not permissible by NCAA rules. If a conference chooses to play divisions they must be balanced (as best as possible). And since there are 13 teams, they would have to have a 6/7 split. So who is the team that will be sent to the West Division for this year?

The best I can come up with is putting Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman in the west with the requirement that they only play home games. This would be a one year solution. The Summit League teams travel a lot more for baseball and trips to Florida are common for them to get out of the cold, so they might be open to it for one year to ensure they have a path to the NCAA tournament.

The problem I have with my proposal is that it would likely result in FAMU and BCU playing their conference games early in the season when there are a lot of low budget northern schools wanting to come to Florida to play them. It would leave the late part of the season open with them struggling to schedule games. But maybe that's the price they pay for leaving the MEAC and maybe the SWAC would help to get them a few series for that one season.

I think your proposal has some merit but there are some logistical issues that would have to be worked out. Good stuff.

Seahawks Fan
July 3rd, 2020, 10:58 AM
I agree. St. Francis isn't looking to leave the NEC.

ST_Lawson
July 6th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Apparently Howard has announced they are moving 6 sports that are in a handful of conferences (outside of the MEAC) all to the NEC. Could be the first step in moving more sports that direction (or at least in a non-MEAC direction).

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1280184074481528832

Anthony215
July 6th, 2020, 12:20 PM
Apparently Howard has announced they are moving 6 sports that are in a handful of conferences (outside of the MEAC) all to the NEC. Could be the first step in moving more sports that direction (or at least in a non-MEAC direction).

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1280184074481528832

IMO a very smart move, they're positioning themselves for the time when the MEAC crumbles. They'll have a pre-established relationship with the NEC and if they opt to expand for football they'll choose Howard as the first choice then either Morgan State or New Haven as the second school.

WileECoyote06
July 6th, 2020, 01:11 PM
Or they desire more of their Olympic sports to be in the same conference. xcoffeex

unknown3
July 6th, 2020, 01:29 PM
With this timing? Highly unlikely.

ST_Lawson
July 6th, 2020, 02:03 PM
Or they desire more of their Olympic sports to be in the same conference. xcoffeex

https://i.giphy.com/media/1ffOwHDZehVb6JlRid/giphy.gif

Pinnum
July 6th, 2020, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the Howard move to the NEC for Associate Members. It is a cost saving move, IMO.

Howard has had these sports bounce around leagues as orphans for a while and has struggled to be competitive. Moving to the NEC gives them a local conference that isn't strong and allows them to play where they have a lot of alumni.

For those of you that may not know Howard too well...

Their women's soccer team played their home games in Birmingham, Alabama as part of the deal to play in the SWAC. https://hubison.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule Birmingham was their officially designated home field for the season. They have been trying to find a solution for these sports for a while.

The women's LAX team has really struggled. They went winless the previous spring and the NEC is filled with teams that have been rated similarly to them. They would be competitive in many more games than they were in the ASUN. https://hubison.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/schedule/2019

Men's soccer was only in the CUSA because the Atlantic Soccer Conference they use to play in folded and when they moved, they went with Hartwick (NY) and NJIT which gave them more local games. They only required one long trip to Georgia every other year. Now that has changed with Hartwick and NJIT out of the conference and Central Arkansas joining.

aceinthehole
July 6th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Agreed, this move consolidates their associate membership to a single, regional conference that will save $$ on fees and travel. Honestly, I wonder why this wasn't done years ago. Maybe it is not earth shattering right now, but this is very likely an internal try-out for HU administration on a post-MEAC era. They are dipping their toes into the pool to take the temperature.

If the MEAC doesn't survive in the next few years, I fully expect the NEC to extend invites to Howard and Delaware State. I'm fine with the status quo, but would sign-up for a 12-team NEC with HU and DSU in the future!

I think Morgan State (with Coppin State and UMES) are the odd men out in any future MEAC to NEC scenarios.

WileECoyote06
July 6th, 2020, 05:05 PM
Y’all wait to see if the Celebration Bowl contract is extended before declaring the death of the MEAC. It will only take five wins to get a berth worth $700K+.

That’s pretty enticing, and Howard as a bastion of pro-black activism and as an original member of two historically black athletic conferences will remain with the MEAC until the bitter end.

aceinthehole
July 6th, 2020, 05:30 PM
Y’all wait to see if the Celebration Bowl contract is extended before declaring the death of the MEAC. It will only take five wins to get a berth worth $700K+.

That’s pretty enticing, and Howard as a bastion of pro-black activism and as an original member of two historically black athletic conferences will remain with the MEAC until the bitter end.

Agreed - Howard to the NEC is almost certainly their "Plan B" if they can't make the MEAC work. But I have to say the future of the MEAC isn't bright and the bitter end is probably a lot closer than you might think. If NC Central or SC State find a new home in the next year or so, it is all but a formality that the MEAC will collapse. And despite the MEAC-HU press conference from a week ago, there a few, if any, viable candidates (HBCU or not) for MEAC membership.

Anthony215
July 9th, 2020, 07:15 AM
Just saw a report that Delaware State is in discussions and close to nailing a deal to acquire nearby Wesley College (successful D3 program down the road in Dover) which would make them the first HBCU to acquire another university that wasn't an HBCU. They expect to retain at least 900-1000 of currently enrolled students at Wesley and could possibly shift their athletics (football to the Wesley campus which has a better stadium IMO while still accommodating 2500 fans with expansion up to 5000 seats and best of all no track surrounding the field :).

DFW HOYA
July 9th, 2020, 07:33 AM
https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/news/dsu-acquisition-of-wesley-likely/

Professor
July 9th, 2020, 08:47 AM

I agree the bowl is gonna be a great incentive once it's extended

Anthony215
July 9th, 2020, 09:58 AM
I agree the bowl is gonna be a great incentive once it's extended

With the shift in the SWAC/MEAC does A&T sit in a better position in the Big South rather than remaining in the MEAC? With Big South they'll be able to compete for FCS titles but also not in the SWAC/MEAC if the Celebration bowl is extended they miss out on the jackpot at the end of the season.

Professor
July 9th, 2020, 10:06 AM
With the shift in the SWAC/MEAC does A&T sit in a better position in the Big South rather than remaining in the MEAC? With Big South they'll be able to compete for FCS titles but also not in the SWAC/MEAC if the Celebration bowl is extended they miss out on the jackpot at the end of the season.

Cost savings in Olympic Sports covers the profit from the bowl. Plus bowl isn't a guarentee, we might not make it every year. Cost savings are.

Plus our Coach and AD wanna see where we stand in the FCS world. That 2016 loss to Richmond left a bad taste in folks mouths. So the Big South provides the opporunity to see can we become a FCS top 10 team and dethrone Kenessaw State

cx500d
July 9th, 2020, 11:36 AM
Cost savings in Olympic Sports covers the profit from the bowl. Plus bowl isn't a guarentee, we might not make it every year. Cost savings are.

Plus our Coach and AD wanna see where we stand in the FCS world. That 2016 loss to Richmond left a bad taste in folks mouths. So the Big South provides the opporunity to see can we become a FCS top 10 team and dethrone Kennesaw State
I thought Monmouth already did that?

Laker
July 9th, 2020, 11:41 AM
https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/news/dsu-acquisition-of-wesley-likely/

Sean Greene@SeanGreeneWDEL
(https://twitter.com/SeanGreeneWDEL)
Wesley and Delaware State have announced a press conference for 415 "concerning an important decision that has been made involving the two institutions."

BigBlueMU
July 9th, 2020, 12:16 PM
xnodx

Anthony215
July 9th, 2020, 01:27 PM
Looking at Wesley's facilities their basketball arena can be simply used for intramurals as it only holds 350 people lol. But if DSU can drum up money from alumni they may be able to get their home field modernized at least the homestands and move home games for a year or two onto the Wesley campus. Here's something ironic my daughter lives in Delaware wanted to get out the state for college and is set to start Norfolk State next month in some capacity, her best friend who is Caucasian opted for Wesley because she didn't want to go to an HBCU (DSU or Norfolk) and with this merger she'll still be at a HBCU within a year once the merger is complete lol.

Pinnum
July 9th, 2020, 02:51 PM
Wesley's campus is really nice. That is a great pickup for DSU. They could have a really nice residential campus downtown. Running shuttles between the campuses would be simple as the campuses are only 2.5 miles (10 minutes) apart

Professor
July 9th, 2020, 03:10 PM

1 conference loss in 3 years. KSU still runs the Big South

cx500d
July 9th, 2020, 03:26 PM
1 conference loss in 3 years. KSU still runs the Big South
Who is the defending champ?

Laker
July 9th, 2020, 03:42 PM
D3 Wesley will be keeping sports for at least one more year as the deal with DSU gets worked out.

https://d3sports.com/notables/2020/07/wesley-finds-out-fate

dbackjon
July 9th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Just saw a report that Delaware State is in discussions and close to nailing a deal to acquire nearby Wesley College (successful D3 program down the road in Dover) which would make them the first HBCU to acquire another university that wasn't an HBCU. They expect to retain at least 900-1000 of currently enrolled students at Wesley and could possibly shift their athletics (football to the Wesley campus which has a better stadium IMO while still accommodating 2500 fans with expansion up to 5000 seats and best of all no track surrounding the field :).

Depending on how you look at it, the second. In the early 70's, Tennessee State acquired/merged UT-Nashville, keeping the TSU name (UT-Nashville ceased to exist as a name).

caribbeanhen
July 9th, 2020, 06:09 PM
I always wanted to see Delaware State play Wesley

My money would be on Wesley

OhioHen
July 10th, 2020, 06:08 AM
I always wanted to see Delaware State play Wesley

My money would be on Wesley

If the merged school keeps a majority of the Wesley football players for 2021, DSU in the Celebration Bowl is a strong possibility.

Anthony215
July 10th, 2020, 08:41 AM
I know quite a few kids who turned down partials at DSU to go to Wesley just because they were more competitive. Wouldn't surprise me to see quite a few of their kids make an immediate impact for the Hornets and turn the program around for the better. The problem will be that they'll have to fight off UD from poaching away any kids who are shopping their talent around

Anthony215
July 10th, 2020, 08:44 AM
The Bigger question is what happens to Wesley coaches? They all can't come over to DSU so where do they go and do they take any players with them?

caribbeanhen
July 11th, 2020, 09:20 PM
I know quite a few kids who turned down partials at DSU to go to Wesley just because they were more competitive. Wouldn't surprise me to see quite a few of their kids make an immediate impact for the Hornets and turn the program around for the better. The problem will be that they'll have to fight off UD from poaching away any kids who are shopping their talent around

would one of these players be Dale Fry, Wesley QB from last year