PDA

View Full Version : All but the football game canceled for A&T’s Homecoming (#GHOE)

WestCoastAggie
June 18th, 2020, 11:14 AM
https://twitter.com/ncatsuaggies/status/1273643915128733698 (https://twitter.com/ncatsuaggies/status/1273643915128733698?s=21)

Professor
June 18th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Hate it but it's best. Can't have 21500 in stadium and another 50k around tailgaiting

BEAR
June 18th, 2020, 12:01 PM
I get why it was done that way...but dang...that sucks...:(

WestCoastAggie
June 18th, 2020, 12:22 PM
Let’s just cancel the season.

favorite football fan
June 18th, 2020, 12:43 PM

This may occur. I hope not. But I have a suspicion. I wonder what the over-under is on this.

WileECoyote06
June 18th, 2020, 01:45 PM
The problem with homecoming activities is they bring people to campus. Presidents/Chancellors have to prioritize the students and their health over everyone else for now.

WSSU just canceled their events, and I fully expect an announcement from our alumni affairs office in the next week.

WestCoastAggie
June 18th, 2020, 02:41 PM
The problem with homecoming activities is they bring people to campus. Presidents/Chancellors have to prioritize the students and their health over everyone else for now.

WSSU just canceled their events, and I fully expect an announcement from our alumni affairs office in the next week.

I wouldn’t expect anything until after the board meeting on the 24th

ASU33
June 18th, 2020, 02:43 PM
Buckle up fellas

Laker
June 18th, 2020, 03:18 PM

Oh please no. No NCAA tourney. No college spring sports. No MLB baseball. Fall & winter seasons cut back already. I need some college football because I'm not big on pro sports.

NDB
June 18th, 2020, 04:24 PM
Sorry, but this is about as much bs as the football season proceeding when there are no face-to-face classes.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 18th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Oh please no. No NCAA tourney. No college spring sports. No MLB baseball. Fall & winter seasons cut back already. I need some college football because I'm not big on pro sports.

I really doubt there will be a season. Everyone is saying the "right things" now but I'm not confident we will have college football this fall. Maybe some games but I bet no fans will be there.

veinup
June 19th, 2020, 11:50 AM
worst case scenario (extremely unlikely) would be that a young athlete gets coronavirus and dies. if that were to happen, would we say the season was worth it?

more likely scenario is that a young athletes grandma gets coronavirus and dies. not great either.

it’s gonna be tough to do this right.

cx500d
June 19th, 2020, 12:04 PM
worst case scenario (extremely unlikely) would be that a young athlete gets coronavirus and dies. if that were to happen, would we say the season was worth it?

more likely scenario is that a young athletes grandma gets coronavirus and dies. not great either.

it’s gonna be tough to do this right.

Already the guidance is that old or compromised people shouldn't be interacting with people who could be vectors. Somebody playing a contact sport with lots of people could be a vector. If granny gets it from her grandson on the football team, that's called lack of personal responsibility.

@#$%ing autocorrect

veinup
June 19th, 2020, 12:09 PM
Already the guidance is that old or compromised people shouldn't be interacting with people who could be vectors. Somebody playing a contact sport with lots of people could be a vector. If granny gets it from her grandson on the football team, that's called lack of personable responsibility.

you’re not wrong. there’s just a disturbingly low amount of personal responsibility going around at the moment.

favorite football fan
June 19th, 2020, 01:30 PM
Buckle up fellas

Agreed. This just came out about the SWAC. https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29334797/southwestern-athletic-conference-says-plans-labor-day-start-cancel-fall-sports-virus-causes-delay-oct-17

Several things I get out of it: public health and money.

The Southwestern Athletic Conference is preparing to start its football season on Labor Day weekend but also has a contingency plan to begin as late as Oct. 17 -- or cancel fall sports entirely -- if the coronavirus pandemic remains a threat, commissioner Charles McClelland (https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4360057/charles-mcclelland) told ESPN on Friday.

"If this thing doesn't die down, I think you're probably going to start to see closer to July and on into August more and more conversation about postponement and pushing the season back," he said of his own conference.

"We're planning to start, but we're cautiously planning to start. If this virus is continuing to decimate the population, we're not going to be in a position we're going to put people out. We have the right to slow it down or stop it. We're just planning to ensure we will be ready if that time comes."

"At our level, we do not make money through the wonderful world of athletics," McClelland said. "It's supplemented by game guarantees, tickets, student fees and institutional support. Not having those teams travel, all of the expenses that go into putting on the games, there will be some savings there. Some schools could possibly make it. Others it would be a significant hit."

favorite football fan
June 19th, 2020, 01:49 PM
Here is a sign of the upcoming season.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29334706/phillies-closing-facility-positive-coronavirus-tests

The Philadelphia Phillies (https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/_/name/phi/philadelphia-phillies) are closing their spring training facility in Clearwater, Florida, after five players and three staff members tested positive for the coronavirus (https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28871525/coronavirus-cancellations-reactions-sports),

Hmmm...who was it that said "next man up" and "we can still play, we just put the players in isolation for 14 days and we can still have football"?

Milktruck74
June 19th, 2020, 01:51 PM
I don't think so. YEah, the administration may cancel all activities but the game, but the majority of events will happen. less than half of homecoming activities at A&T are actually school sanctioned. Sure there won't be a normal parade or a few of the planned activities, but if they are still having a game, there will still be a ass ton of people out there having a party in the parking lot. There may not be a parade, but there will still be throngs of folks backed into parking lots around the area. maybe even a few impromptu shows...Clubs (if they can be open) will be having the "homecoming" parties just the same. The event will go on, the school just removed themselves from the liability of it!

veinup
June 19th, 2020, 02:23 PM
just saw the phillies news myself. as of this moment if i had to bet, i think i might bet against there being an FCS season.

the “if this thing doesn’t die down” language from the swac fella is also telling.

tampa bay lightning (NHL) also just shut down their practice facility due to infections among players and staff.

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2020, 05:53 PM
Nothing is getting better for months or years if 40% of the population think this is all made-up. And the HBCU programs are at particular risk because of what they bring in the door to the school. No football, no homecoming, no marching bands for 1, 2 or 3 years will close some schools.

And people will die--maybe not that many 18-22 year olds, but think of it--twice as many people have died in three months than in eight years in Vietnam.

WileECoyote06
June 19th, 2020, 08:33 PM
Canceled today. We didn’t even have to wait.

kdinva
June 19th, 2020, 09:00 PM
Canceled today. We didn’t even have to wait.

source?

favorite football fan
June 19th, 2020, 09:15 PM
Nothing is getting better for months or years if 40% of the population think this is all made-up. And the HBCU programs are at particular risk because of what they bring in the door to the school. No football, no homecoming, no marching bands for 1, 2 or 3 years will close some schools.
And people will die--maybe not that many 18-22 year olds, but think of it--twice as many people have died in three months than in eight years in Vietnam.

Here is a sign that is not good.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29336227/21-clemson-football-players-positive-covid-19-latest-testing

Of 28 positive coronavirus tests conducted on Clemson student-athletes and staff since their return to campus two weeks ago, 23 belong to football players, a source said Friday.

Who was it here that said "next man up"? and said "we will have football due to all the money"? and said "these student-athletes will just need to quarantine for 14 days"? Oh nothing major here right? These are probably the back-ups anyway. Quarantine them for 14 days, they can take their summer classes online. Hmmm...what about these individual workouts and conditioning as well as learning some install packages in their respective position coaches meetings? Oh sure, they can do that all on-line as per meetings. Ok, you have an argument there but what about 14 days of conditioning? They can run on their own? In isolation? They can lift weights in their room? Yeah right. This isn't like a treadmill and one of those Sears Bench Press's with those concrete covered with plastic weights.

Any one who thinks that Dabo is going to want to play without Trevor Lawrence if he tests positive for the virus, you are crazy. And if the starting QB is able to play, you think if the 4 of the 5 starting o-line is out in quarantine, that Clemson is going to want to play?

WileECoyote06
June 21st, 2020, 04:30 AM
source?

I was referring to the NCCU in-person, non-game, homecoming activities. Alums received an email on Thursday. The we didn't have to wait was referencing WestCoastAggies comment about our BOT meeting next Wednesday.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 21st, 2020, 07:55 AM
A & T's coach was on local radio on Friday.

Definitely seemed like a "player's coach". I think they said he was a teammate of Jerry Rice at MVSU.

Hopefully there is a season and the Aggies can make it up here to play. Interesting matchup with the Bison. A&T likes to run the ball and play defense also.

kdinva
June 21st, 2020, 07:58 AM
I was referring to the NCCU in-person, non-game, homecoming activities. Alums received an email on Thursday. The we didn't have to wait was referencing WestCoastAggies comment about our BOT meeting next Wednesday.

so noted, thank you...

WestCoastAggie
June 21st, 2020, 09:07 AM

Definitely seemed like a "player's coach". I think they said he was a teammate of Jerry Rice at MVSU.

Hopefully there is a season and the Aggies can make it up here to play. Interesting matchup with the Bison. A&T likes to run the ball and play defense also.
As of now, it’s still on the schedule.

BTW: If we look like how Ill State looked against you all (specifically on defense), I’ll be happy win or lose.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 21st, 2020, 09:27 AM
As of now, it’s still on the schedule.

BTW: If we look like how Ill State looked against you all (specifically on defense), I’ll be happy win or lose.

The Aggie defense looks good and is ranked in many defensive categories. I'm looking forward to the matchup.

AA RB for the Aggies will be a tough test for the Bison defense.

favorite football fan
June 21st, 2020, 12:04 PM
The Aggie defense looks good and is ranked in many defensive categories. I'm looking forward to the matchup.

AA RB for the Aggies will be a tough test for the Bison defense.

Doubtful that the game will be played given all that is going on right now.

Professor
June 22nd, 2020, 08:52 AM

Yea our guys love him.

We are all hoping for it all to work out. We want a shot at the Champs lol

TheKingpin28
June 22nd, 2020, 10:08 AM
Yea our guys love him.

Is he the "tell them to bring me my money" guy?

If so, what was he referring to when he said that?

Professor
June 22nd, 2020, 11:05 AM
Is he the "tell them to bring me my money" guy?

If so, what was he referring to when he said that?

Yep that's him.

That comment came from us playing East Carolina last year. We played them on a saturday and it was a bad Thunder storm. Game was called off and fans were forced to return to their cars. Our AD met with theirs and asked what they wanted to do. Our AD said we could just cancel and let it be a cancelled game. East Carolina said no , we are going to reschedule his game for Sun. And if you don't show up , then you will be breaking the contract and won't get the payout.

So the team changed and left and came back on Sunday and defeated ECU 28-23. And coach asked them to Bring him his money ..................

Coach Washington post game speech - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZBVy5I2xsc

TheKingpin28
June 22nd, 2020, 11:23 AM
Yep that's him.

That comment came from us playing East Carolina last year. We played them on a saturday and it was a bad Thunder storm. Game was called off and fans were forced to return to their cars. Our AD met with theirs and asked what they wanted to do. Our AD said we could just cancel and let it be a cancelled game. East Carolina said no , we are going to reschedule his game for Sun. And if you don't show up , then you will be breaking the contract and won't get the payout.

So the team changed and left and came back on Sunday and defeated ECU 28-23. And coach asked them to Bring him his money ..................

Coach Washington post game speech - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZBVy5I2xsc

That is awesome! I never knew the response to it, but what a great way to stick to ECU. Seems like a solid coach and better man. I really want this game to happen!

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 22nd, 2020, 07:05 PM
Yea our guys love him.

I'm a glass half full guy almost always but the longer this virus crap hangs around the more I think the games will either not be played or no fans will be at them.

favorite football fan
June 22nd, 2020, 08:33 PM
I'm a glass half full guy almost always but the longer this virus crap hangs around the more I think the games will either not be played or no fans will be at them.

So, you are really a 50% capacity guy as it pertains to this issue? I look at it this way. If I have 1/2 tank of gas, I can drive all over town and not worry about it. But go to the big city four hours away? I am not going to make it. Now, if it is an alcoholic beverage, well, it was already 1/2 gone before it arrives because my mind drank the first 50% of it.

Anyway, if there are no fans in the stands and it is unsafe for them to be there; what makes anyone think that it is safe for the team and staff? I am still going to operate on my new theory. Schools are waiting for enrollment to get straightened out to see where they are fiscally, THEN drop the hammer on not playing.
This article just might be what we will see this fall.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/division-iii-bowdoin-college-cancels-football-and-rest-of-sports-this-fall-due-to-covid-19-pandemic/
Division III Bowdoin College cancels football and rest of sports this fall due to COVID-19 pandemicThe Polar Bears won't be playing football, or any other sports, this fall, the college announced Monday
Approximately 650 of Bowdoin’s 1,800-plus students are varsity athletes.
https://www.pressherald.com/2020/06/22/bowdoin-cancels-fall-varsity-athletics-all-sports-on-hold-until-at-least-jan-1/

favorite football fan
June 22nd, 2020, 09:42 PM
And the news keeps on getting worse.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29350489/boise-state-closes-campus-athletic-facilities-amid-covid-19-concerns

Boise State has closed campus facilities, including those for athletics, for the remainder of the week amid an increase in "community-based" coronavirus cases, the school said Monday. In a school news release, Boise State said eight positive or presumed positive coronavirus cases were discovered across campus.

cx500d
June 22nd, 2020, 09:44 PM
And the news keeps on getting worse.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29350489/boise-state-closes-campus-athletic-facilities-amid-covid-19-concerns

Boise State has closed campus facilities, including those for athletics, for the remainder of the week amid an increase in "community-based" coronavirus cases, the school said Monday. In a school news release, Boise State said eight positive or presumed positive coronavirus cases were discovered across campus.

Its those ****ing californians moving in with all their covid...

veinup
June 22nd, 2020, 09:59 PM
bunch of recent covid cases here based around a group of ten infectious people that went to a bunch of different bars on june 5-6. ada county just reverted to stage 3, bars are supposed to close back up on wednesday.

WestCoastAggie
June 22nd, 2020, 11:12 PM
bunch of recent covid cases here based around a group of ten infectious people that went to a bunch of different bars on june 5-6. ada county just reverted to stage 3, bars are supposed to close back up on wednesday.
The clubs and bars have been packed in Atlanta since Memorial Day. Add the recent protesting and there you have it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 23rd, 2020, 05:58 AM

Young people getting out to socialize after being bottled up. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Young people have more of a chance of dying from the flu, pneumonia, or getting hit by a car. Stay away from your grandparents.

Football players are getting it and are asymptomatic....they are chasing girls, lifting and hanging out with their buddies. Panic mode from the MSM.

cx500d
June 23rd, 2020, 06:02 AM
The clubs and bars have been packed in Atlanta since Labor Day. Add the recent protesting and there you have it.
Labor Day? While we were putting flags on graves of soldiers, sailors, and airmen, you were celebrating a labor union holiday?

WestCoastAggie
June 23rd, 2020, 06:46 AM
Labor Day? While we were putting flags on graves of soldiers, sailors, and airmen, you were celebrating a labor union holiday?

😂 I meant Memorial Day (got Football on the brain). My post is edited.