PDA

View Full Version : MEAC Commish talks realignment, expansion and staying DI

bluedog
June 17th, 2020, 06:40 PM
SPECIAL TO HBCU GAMEDAY BY LUT WILLIAMS

The burning questions on the minds of many HBCU sports observers since Florida A&M University announced two weeks ago that it was leaving the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference next season to join the Southwestern Athletic Conference are what is the MEAC going to do and how will it survive?

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/17/meac-commish-talks-realignment-expansion-and-staying-di/

WestCoastAggie
June 17th, 2020, 07:40 PM
**Snicker**

OhioHen
June 18th, 2020, 06:36 AM
Two particular comments strike me.

First, the one that may well be why WestCoastAggie commented as above:

If we got half of the black talent for football and basketball (that used to attend HBCUs), the MEAC and SWAC would be Power 5 conferences.

The second is a shocking thing to say about your conference institutions:

But don’t complain as to why HBCUs aren’t competitive when you send our best and our brightest to other places.
Does the commissioner really believe the best students are all going to other schools rather than the HBCUs?

Panther88
June 18th, 2020, 07:37 AM
Commissioner Thomas is on "one," obviously.

He is spot on.

WestCoastAggie
June 18th, 2020, 07:51 AM
Commissioner Thomas is on "one," obviously.

He is spot on.

LOL!!!

Professor
June 18th, 2020, 08:58 AM
He said nothing at all , lol

Anthony215
June 18th, 2020, 09:37 AM
He said nothing at all , lol

My exact thoughts lol. I read it twice thinking maybe I missed something. Kuddos if they can maintain the league without losing any more members but I would be putting feelers out to schools just in case NCCU/BCU or Howard jumped ship causing the conference to fall below the minimum teams needed to field a D1 conference. With DSU, NCCU, Howard, SC State, Coppin State, Morgan State and Norfolk State they're ok but it makes sense to try and lure maybe a CIAA team (WSSU definitely isn't jumping back up) so maybe VSU takes the bate as they have the facilities to do it and have a decent rivalry already with Norfolk State. It'll be interesting and notice I didn't include Bethune because with FAMU gone I can't see them staying in the conference with all but the SC State game being flights they're better off in the SWAC.

Professor
June 18th, 2020, 02:57 PM
Two particular comments strike me.

First, the one that may well be why WestCoastAggie commented as above:

The second is a shocking thing to say about your conference institutions:

Does the commissioner really believe the best students are all going to other schools rather than the HBCUs?

Not a fan of Thomas but he makes a valid point. If HBCU's were able to retain the top Black Athletes and Students , then HBCU's would be further along. Can't believe he said that in a media interview tho

Panther88
June 18th, 2020, 04:43 PM
Not a fan of Thomas but he makes a valid point. If HBCU's were able to retain the top Black Athletes and Students , then HBCU's would be further along. Can't believe he said that in a media interview tho

You cannot believe that he would tell the truth in an interview? I'm sure what he stated as fact is something you and numerous other HBCU grads also stated in the past.

Everyone knows the fuel source which powers the ncaa $$$$ machine. It's no secret.

ElCid
June 18th, 2020, 05:23 PM
Can someone please explain why the MEAC is in the situation it is in. What's the bottom line? Is it merely the large footprint and travel? Is the conf admin that bad? Some teams have turned in good performances and some schools have enviable attendance figures. Does not entirely compute. Was it in rebellion to the Celebration Bowl?

ASU33
June 18th, 2020, 05:31 PM
Can someone please explain why the MEAC is in the situation it is in. What's the bottom line? Is it merely the large footprint and travel? Is the conf admin that bad? Some teams have turned in good performances and some schools have enviable attendance figures. Does not entirely compute. Was it in rebellion to the Celebration Bowl?

The footprint is so large and causing a strain on travel budgets. Plus the Commissioner has some faults.

WileECoyote06
June 18th, 2020, 06:47 PM

Travel costs and personality and priority clashes among the presidents. xcoffeex

ElCid
June 18th, 2020, 09:49 PM
Travel costs and personality and priority clashes among the presidents. xcoffeex

I would think their top priority right now is to stop the bleeding. If not, then some new leadership or at least change of direction should be in order. That article only seemed to say "all is well." And everyone knows it's not.

Professor
June 19th, 2020, 08:28 AM

More so the leadership of Dennis Thomas and the commissioner. Schools have been screaming about these travel issues for years , and he hasn't been able to find a solution