PDA

View Full Version : Are confident you in your coaching staff's ability to adjust to the current culture?

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 04:16 PM
With everything going on socially and concerns that have been raised in the past, how confident are you in your coaching staff's ability to reach out and address concerns of the black players on your team? We've seen obvious culture problems at Iowa, Missouri, and Oklahoma State but those are just the ones that have gone public. With the this current climate I think that we'll see more of this over the next few weeks and months.

Daytripper
June 17th, 2020, 04:35 PM
I think Sam Houston will be adaptable. Keeler has had friction with some players, but I have never heard any inkling of anything that might be considered a racial topic. Also, Sam Houston has always had a pretty diverse coaching staff and this year is no different. We have four coaches and an operations assistant that are African American. It will be interesting to see who, if any, choose to kneel during the Anthem.

ElCid
June 17th, 2020, 04:52 PM
This is a borderline political discussion. Doesn't have to be, but the chances are some people may go overboard. Or simply ignore it because they follow the rules.

JayJ79
June 17th, 2020, 04:53 PM
Good riddance to the racists.

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 05:08 PM
I think Sam Houston will be adaptable. Keeler has had friction with some players, but I have never heard any inkling of anything that might be considered a racial topic. Also, Sam Houston has always had a pretty diverse coaching staff and this year is no different. We have four coaches and an operations assistant that are African American. It will be interesting to see who, if any, choose to kneel during the Anthem.

I doubt if you see any guys kneels during the anthem. Mostly because in college the teams aren't usually out of the locker room when the anthem is played.

POD Knows
June 17th, 2020, 06:05 PM
Good riddance to the racists.
The coach at OSU is a racist. Is that what you are saying. Bunch of ****ing snowflake assholes trying to leverage any
and all stupid **** they can. Opportunists. Victims. **** em.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 17th, 2020, 06:07 PM
I doubt if you see any guys kneels during the anthem. Mostly because in college the teams aren't usually out of the locker room when the anthem is played.

At home games, NDSU is always out before the National Anthem and usually the visiting team is still in the locker room

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 17th, 2020, 06:09 PM
The coach at OSU is a racist. Is that what you are saying. Bunch of ****ing snowflake assholes trying to leverage any

Personally, I doubt Gundy is a racist. But anything not of a PC culture is deemed racist now. That OAN network is now a racist network according to the left because they dont follow the PC narrative

TheKingpin28
June 17th, 2020, 06:13 PM
At home games, NDSU is always out before the National Anthem and usually the visiting team is still in the locker roomI'd be shocked if the NDSU staff let's them kneel during the anthem. I dont think Larsen wants dollars to dry up overnight, even if people claim it has nothing to do with the flag. I know they have their prayer at midfield after the game and I am wondering if the coaches and seniors/leaders on the team are going to encourage one before the game (before the anthem in played) as well as to not alienate fans and boosters

That said, the staff has always seemed (post Bohl days) to be about the players and continuing a culture of excellence. If this thread gets moved, which in all respects it should due to the nature of what it's about, I'll give more on what I think will happen in relation to all of this.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

citdog
June 17th, 2020, 06:15 PM
At The Citadel our men put their heels at a 45 degree angle and render present arms when the Star Spangled Banner is played. What others do is their business.

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 06:17 PM
Personally, I doubt Gundy is a racist. But anything not of a PC culture is deemed racist now. That OAN network is now a racist network according to the left because they dont follow the PC narrative

Aye man can we stick to the script. This nothing to do with left or right or any of that other BS.

POD Knows
June 17th, 2020, 06:20 PM
Aye man can we stick to the script. This nothing to do with left or right or any of that other BS.
Nope. This is a political topic. Now way this isn’t political.

favorite football fan
June 17th, 2020, 06:36 PM

I have to disagree with you on this one. You asked this pertinent question: With everything going on socially and concerns that have been raised in the past, how confident are you in your coaching staff's ability to reach out and address concerns of the black players on your team?

This is part of the "cancel culture" and if your head coach has any semblance of association with anything that the Twitter Robespierre's deem as "unacceptable" (and this means supporting or even being associated with anything right wing) will be put into question. We saw this with Gundy at Oklahoma State. Thus, there is a political aspect to this.

With the national anthem thing, if a head coach believes that standing for the anthem is important for the team, all it takes is a couple of student-athletes to "exercise their first amendment right" to protest. Thus, a head coach or coaching staff has to be careful how they say things that could be construed as "racist" even if it not even remotely close to it. Who or what is to stop an athlete, who was suspended for academic reasons or violating team rules, from claiming that institutional racism is what has him suspended?

Intersectionality is defined as the interconnected nature of social categorizations such as race, class, and gender as they apply to a given individual or group, regarded as creating overlapping and interdependent systems of discrimination or disadvantage.

We have just now seeing it i.e. intersectionality, hit our beloved football. But this goes back to the original question and it is a legit question: With everything going on socially and concerns that have been raised in the past, how confident are you in your coaching staff's ability to reach out and address concerns of the black players on your team?

This now puts the head coach as not just a motivator, recruiter, x and o's guy and a fund-raiser but now in the unenviable position of being a politician. It also put s the coach in trying to navigate issues that they are definitely not familiar with such as the intersectionality. For all we know if you asked a coach about intersectionality, they would probably respond with "yes, I am for it. Nothing like reliving old rivalries in the region as long as we can have a home and home arrangement."

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 17th, 2020, 06:45 PM

I'm not trying to steer this any way.

All of this is political if you believe it or not. People getting fired, chastised, or threatened because they do not follow in step with this PC culture.

Personally, I hope all the Bison players stand for the National Anthem. If some dont then that is their choice and I'm still going to be a fan of my team and cheer for them, standing or kneeling.

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 06:45 PM
I have to disagree with you on this one. You asked this pertinent question: With everything going on socially and concerns that have been raised in the past, how confident are you in your coaching staff's ability to reach out and address concerns of the black players on your team?

This is part of the "cancel culture" and if your head coach has any semblance of association with anything that the Twitter Robespierre's deem as "unacceptable" (and this means supporting or even being associated with anything right wing) will be put into question. We saw this with Gundy at Oklahoma State. Thus, there is a political aspect to this.

With the national anthem thing, if a head coach believes that standing for the anthem is important for the team, all it takes is a couple of student-athletes to "exercise their first amendment right" to protest. Thus, a head coach or coaching staff has to be careful how they say things that could be construed as "racist" even if it not even remotely close to it. Who or what is to stop an athlete, who was suspended for academic reasons or violating team rules, from claiming that institutional racism is what has him suspended?

Intersectionality is defined as the interconnected nature of social categorizations such as race, class, and gender as they apply to a given individual or group, regarded as creating overlapping and interdependent systems of discrimination or disadvantage.

We have just now seeing it i.e. intersectionality, hit our beloved football. But this goes back to the original question and it is a legit question: With everything going on socially and concerns that have been raised in the past, how confident are you in your coaching staff's ability to reach out and address concerns of the black players on your team?

This now puts the head coach as not just a motivator, recruiter, x and o's guy and a fund-raiser but now in the unenviable position of being a politician. It also put s the coach in trying to navigate issues that they are definitely not familiar with such as the intersectionality. For all we know if you asked a coach about intersectionality, they would probably respond with "yes, I am for it. Nothing like reliving old rivalries in the region as long as we can have a home and home arrangement."

I very direct questions, or one very direct question. This isn't about National Anthem protests or any of the other stuff that you brought up.

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 06:49 PM
I'm not trying to steer this any way.

All of this is political if you believe it or not. People getting fired, chastised, or threatened because they do not follow in step with this PC culture.

Personally, I hope all the Bison players stand for the National Anthem. If some dont then that is their choice and I'm still going to be a fan of my team and cheer for them, standing or kneeling.

This is NOT politics! The feelings and things that black folks go through ain't politics. I asked specifically, "how confident are you in your coaching staff's ability to reach out and address concerns of the black players on your team?" I didn't ask anything about the National Anthem or anything else that you brought up. I was very specific in my questioning!

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 06:50 PM
At The Citadel our men put their heels at a 45 degree angle and render present arms when the Star Spangled Banner is played. What others do is their business.

Go back and read my question. I never asked anything about the Star Spangled Banner.

veinup
June 17th, 2020, 06:57 PM
i’m confident in my teams coaching staff to adapt to the cultural climate, absolutely.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 17th, 2020, 07:07 PM
This is NOT politics! The feelings and things that black folks go through ain't politics. I asked specifically, "how confident are you in your coaching staff's ability to reach out and address concerns of the black players on your team?" I didn't ask anything about the National Anthem or anything else that you brought up. I was very specific in my questioning!

Will NDSUs coaching staff be able to address black players concerns?

Yes

What specific concerns do you think might be problematic for the coaching staff to address?

Just last week UND dismissed 2 volleyball players because I think they used the "n" word on their social media. A black football player brought it to the attention of the school.

Bisonoline
June 17th, 2020, 07:10 PM
Considering the praise Ive seen from black players I think NDSU is ahead of the curve and will continue to do so.

POD Knows
June 17th, 2020, 07:18 PM
What concerns are you talking about, enough hot water in the showers, time for study, offensive T shirts. What concerns? Just curious because I am pretty sure an AA running back at OSU got all political over a coach's tee shirt he found to be politically offensive even though we now know that "black folks" feelings aren't political.

favorite football fan
June 17th, 2020, 07:22 PM

Addressing concerns about "black players" as you suggest: And what are these concerns? (heck, even asking this would signal that I am an uncaring person who is out-of-touch or tone-deaf" to the plight and/or struggle.) but since you brought up the comment, I hope I am safe for simply asking for a clarification of what you stated as: The feelings and things that black folks go through

Let's start there so we all know what to answer to and how to answer. And since we are living in fear of saying the wrong thing, you tell us what these concerns are and how to properly respond.

But let's take a shot at this and see how close I am;
a. if it is police brutality or police over-reach; if you do not answer this in the correct way, the PC culture will get you which is political; you have to answer in the manner that is prescribed and what is socially acceptable;
a1: defund the police? whoa, better answer that correctly;
b. if it is institutional racism; if you do not answer this in the correct way, the PC Robespierre's will hang you out to dry which is political;
c. if it is about statutes of old white guys who were once in the confederacy; again, if you do not answer this in the correct way, you will lose your job;
d. if it is about black lives matter; oh man, answer the wrong way and you too will be the recipient of a public stoning and doxxing and this is political; a sportscaster lost his job/forced to resign because he stated that "all lives matter."
e. say you voted Republican, better walk the plank as we know that 90% of, how you say it "black folks" vote democrat, this means that anyone who votes this way i.e. Republican is instantly a nazi and a racist. That is political.
f. and if a student-athlete who is black wants to kneel at the anthem in protest to police brutality, yes, this is political because anytime you do something that is construed under your First Amendment rights, you have entered the realm of politics.

But tell us what are these concerns and let's start there.

POD Knows
June 17th, 2020, 07:24 PM
Considering the praise Ive seen from black players I think NDSU is ahead of the curve and will continue to do so.Better hope Entz doesn't get caught wearing a Bass Pro Shop Tee, not kidding, that is all it would take. It is currently impossible to deal with the bat **** crazy insanity that is out there, it is a losing battle, all it takes is one disgruntled asshole to take exception to one stupid little thing and then it is off to the races.

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 07:35 PM
What concerns are you talking about, enough hot water in the showers, time for study, offensive T shirts. What concerns? Just curious because I am pretty sure an AA running back at OSU got all political over a coach's tee shirt he found to be politically offensive even though we now know that "black folks" feelings aren't political.

One: The last few weeks have been just extremely mentally taxing for Black Americans with the situation with George Floyd, Ahmaud Abery, and Brianna Taylor plus the civil unrest. Plus there was a march in Fargo in which several NDSU football players participated. So let's start there. Are you confident in your coaches checking in on your black players to make sure they're dealing with all of this ok?

Two: If you think it was just the shirt that set Chuba off then I can't help you. Oklahoma State players both present and past weighed in on Twitter about the racially insensitive culture that they have there. Unlike at Iowa and Clemson not one player backed Gundy. Not one! That shows the culture there is horrible.

:Also if my coach wears a t-shirt of a network who has made it their business to say the most disgusting things about people who look like me, then we have a SERIOUS problem. Once again this ain't politics. That network's top 10 list on disgusting things they've said about black people is horrible.

WestCoastAggie
June 17th, 2020, 07:37 PM
This is a borderline political discussion. Doesn't have to be, but the chances are some people may go overboard. Or simply ignore it because they follow the rules.

It doesn’t have to be. The question of how your current coaching staffs relate to the players overall is a good one and I believe A&T’s staff does an excellent job of this. Many maintain with relationships with players after graduation and that helps in the recruiting game.

veinup
June 17th, 2020, 07:38 PM
Addressing concerns about "black players" as you suggest: And what are these concerns? (heck, even asking this would signal that I am an uncaring person who is out-of-touch or tone-deaf" to the plight and/or struggle.) but since you brought up the comment, I hope I am safe for simply asking for a clarification of what you stated as: The feelings and things that black folks go through

Let's start there so we all know what to answer to and how to answer. And since we are living in fear of saying the wrong thing, you tell us what these concerns are and how to properly respond.

But let's take a shot at this and see how close I am;
a. if it is police brutality or police over-reach; if you do not answer this in the correct way, the PC culture will get you which is political; you have to answer in the manner that is prescribed and what is socially acceptable;
a1: defund the police? whoa, better answer that correctly;
b. if it is institutional racism; if you do not answer this in the correct way, the PC Robespierre's will hang you out to dry which is political;
c. if it is about statutes of old white guys who were once in the confederacy; again, if you do not answer this in the correct way, you will lose your job;
d. if it is about black lives matter; oh man, answer the wrong way and you too will be the recipient of a public stoning and doxxing and this is political; a sportscaster lost his job/forced to resign because he stated that "all lives matter."
e. say you voted Republican, better walk the plank as we know that 90% of, how you say it "black folks" vote democrat, this means that anyone who votes this way i.e. Republican is instantly a nazi and a racist. That is political.
f. and if a student-athlete who is black wants to kneel at the anthem in protest to police brutality, yes, this is political because anytime you do something that is construed under your First Amendment rights, you have entered the realm of politics.

But tell us what are these concerns and let's start there.

not knowing about the concerns of black americans, or black athletes in particular, does indeed make you out of touch. as you stated at the top of your post. try watching something besides OAN once in a while, you might learn something.

WestCoastAggie
June 17th, 2020, 07:38 PM
Better hope Entz doesn't get caught wearing a Bass Pro Shop Tee, not kidding, that is all it would take. It is currently impossible to deal with the bat **** crazy insanity that is out there, it is a losing battle, all it takes is one disgruntled asshole to take exception to one stupid little thing and then it is off to the races.

If Camo ever gets poliical, look out! 😂

favorite football fan
June 17th, 2020, 07:50 PM
Better hope Entz doesn't get caught wearing a Bass Pro Shop Tee, not kidding, that is all it would take. It is currently impossible to deal with the bat **** crazy insanity that is out there, it is a losing battle, all it takes is one disgruntled asshole to take exception to one stupid little thing and then it is off to the races.

Total agreement. I removed my American flag from my house so some nutcase does not decide to burn my house down in protest of some historic grievance.

veinup
June 17th, 2020, 07:51 PM
you should move to a more “America Friendly” area. have you heard of idaho?

favorite football fan
June 17th, 2020, 08:05 PM
If Camo ever gets poliical, look out! 

It already is. It is considered to signify the militia movement that occurred in the 1990's. And given that the National Guard wears camo, there was concern that the governor calling the National Guard was seen as against the protesters; thus, anyone in camo is seen as supporting the NatGuard or being militaristic against the protesters.

Just wait till the PC mob comes after the mascots. I am calling it now. Oh sure, they went after the Fighting Sioux of UND and a bunch of schools changed from Native American imagery (except Florida State) to other mascot names. But it is going to come back. Mark my words.

For example, the Bison. Well, that was the food of the Native Americans and who nearly wiped them out? White people. Thus, hoc ergo propter hoc, Bison is a racist symbol of white supremacy. Here is a starting list:
Austin Peay Governors
Charleston Southern Buccaneers
Eastern Kentucky Colonels
Holy Cross Crusaders

Ohhhhh, don't think it can happen? Just wait until some glue-sniffing faculty member from the Gender Studies and Social Activism Department brings it forward.

PETA is just right around the corner and will strike while the iron is hot. Mark my words. It is coming. They will be coming for the mascots who are animals because of animal cruelty. Don't laugh. We all laughed when this PC madness was starting and now look where we are at.

POD Knows
June 17th, 2020, 08:07 PM
One: The last few weeks have been just extremely mentally taxing for Black Americans with the situation with George Floyd, Ahmaud Abery, and Brianna Taylor plus the civil unrest. Plus there was a march in Fargo in which several NDSU football players participated. So let's start there. Are you confident in your coaches checking in on your black players to make sure they're dealing with all of this ok?

Two: If you think it was just the shirt that set Chuba off then I can't help you. Oklahoma State players both present and past weighed in on Twitter about the racially insensitive culture that they have there. Unlike at Iowa and Clemson not one player backed Gundy. Not one! That shows the culture there is horrible.

:Also if my coach wears a t-shirt of a network who has made it their business to say the most disgusting things about people who look like me, then we have a SERIOUS problem. Once again this ain't politics. That network's top 10 list on disgusting things they've said about black people is horrible.
I have no idea how the NDSU coaching staff will handle their players now, the slightest little thing can blow up just about anything. The goal posts move by the second, there can be no planned reaction or process when "crazy" is at play. If you don't think that people are "over the top" unhinged, then I don't know what to tell you.

As to the OSU deal, this is literally the first time I have heard anything about culture there, is the timing a coincidence, doubt it, smells like opportunism and "politics" to me. Bring me a few more examples of the horrid culture at OSU and I will research.

If a AA football player joins the Nation of Islam and he has a Jewish coach, can the coach cancel that guys ass??? After all, Jews are pretty evil to the "nation", aren't they?

favorite football fan
June 17th, 2020, 08:12 PM
not knowing about the concerns of black americans, or black athletes in particular, does indeed make you out of touch. as you stated at the top of your post. try watching something besides OAN once in a while, you might learn something.

And like clockwork, the PC Robespierre's are coming out. Thank you for proving my point that I listed. And if you knew where I worked and my background, your pointy head would explode as such would be totally foreign to you in that your sense of balance would be so thrown off that you would have to go back and read Saul Alinksy again to see where you messed up. I know all the issues Chairman Veinup Mao. I just so happened attempted to stimulate conversation. BTW, did you respond the same way and in the same tone as the other poster who asked nearly the same question but said "is it about hot water"? No you did not.

POD Knows
June 17th, 2020, 08:17 PM
you should move to a more “America Friendly” area. have you heard of idaho?Or basically anywhere inland from the Oceans about 20/30 miles, that should about cover it.

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 08:17 PM
I have no idea how the NDSU coaching staff will handle their players now, the slightest little thing can blow up just about anything. The goal posts move by the second, there can be no planned reaction or process when "crazy" is at play. If you don't think that people are "over the top" unhinged, then I don't know what to tell you.

As to the OSU deal, this is literally the first time I have heard anything about culture there, is the timing a coincidence, doubt it, smells like opportunism and "politics" to me. Bring me a few more examples of the horrid culture at OSU and I will research.

If a AA football player joins the Nation of Islam and he has a Jewish coach, can the coach cancel that guys ass??? After all, Jews are pretty evil to the "nation", aren't they?

Building relationships are critical. From what I've seen the NDSU coaching staff has done a great job doing this. A few of the players tweeted after the first Black Lives Matter rally in Fargo that their coaches reached out to check on them. Building a relationship outside of win for me is HUGE and makes a difference in times like these. As far as the Nation of Islam question I have no clue. I'm Christian so I cant help you there. There have been many players who are of the Nation of Islam in college and pro sports who obviously worked pretty well with their coaches. The biggest dust up that I can remember with a Nation of Islam player was the Nation Anthem situation with Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf and that was limited to just the anthem.

POD Knows
June 17th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Building relationships are critical. From what I've seen the NDSU coaching staff has done a great job doing this. A few of the players tweeted after the first Black Lives Matter rally in Fargo that their coaches reached out to check on them. Building a relationship outside of win for me is HUGE and makes a difference in times like these. As far as the Nation of Islam question I have no clue. I'm Christian so I cant help you there. There have been many players who are of the Nation of Islam in college and pro sports who obviously worked pretty well with their coaches. The biggest dust up that I can remember with a Nation of Islam player was the Nation Anthem situation with Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf and that was limited to just the anthem.My analogy regarding the Nation and the Chosen People is solid, tolerance has to be a two way street, it isn't in today's culture, that is a fact.

I think the Bison coaching staff/players will be just fine but there is no way to know, there are no rules here, they are being made up on the fly. I hope the coaching staff has their radar tuned in, they are going to need it. Not all motives here are "pure".

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 08:31 PM
My analogy regarding the Nation and the Chosen People is solid, tolerance has to be a two way street, it isn't in today's culture, that is a fact.

I think the Bison coaching staff/players will be just fine but there is no way to know, there are no rules here, they are being made up on the fly. I hope the coaching staff has their radar tuned in, they are going to need it. Not all motives here are "pure".

Goes back to what I said, if you have solid relationships with your players you're good.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 17th, 2020, 08:40 PM
My analogy regarding the Nation and the Chosen People is solid, tolerance has to be a two way street, it isn't in today's culture, that is a fact.

It is just going to get worse IMO.

Just the beginning.....

Bisonoline
June 17th, 2020, 08:49 PM

Really?? Surprised you didnt squeeze a Hitler trope in there while you were at it. xthumbsupx

veinup
June 17th, 2020, 08:57 PM
both hitler and mao mentioned on the same page, is this a first for AGS?

cx500d
June 17th, 2020, 09:02 PM
both hitler and mao mentioned on the same page, is this a first for AGS?
mussolini, stalin, lenin, ho chi minh, pol pot, idi amin, charles taylor, kim il sun, kim jong il, kim jong un, francisco franco, santonio salazar, chavez, maduro, pinochet, duvalier, etc etc

TheKingpin28
June 17th, 2020, 09:03 PM

:Also if my coach wears a t-shirt of a network who has made it their business to say the most disgusting things about people who look like me, then we have a SERIOUS problem. Once again this ain't politics. That network's top 10 list on disgusting things they've said about black people is horrible.Serious question, if culture is that bad at OSU, why play there? Chuba could have gone to ANY other school, but CHOSE OSU, so, is it possible: he knew what he was getting into OR what people are saying isn't true and they are capitalizing on the current climate to force their beliefs in. I ask since it's just not adding up. Why go play for a racist when any other school would do a lot to land a player of his caliber.

I would NEVER play for or send my kids (I dont have any) to go play for someone who is racist. I have zero time for people who are racist.

So why wouldn't Chuba leave OSU or step up before this? I'm asking an honest question cause from my end, it's just not adding up since I have to believe he was offered a scholarship at more than just OSU.

favorite football fan
June 17th, 2020, 09:12 PM

Fair points. Thanks for opening the discussion.
Point 1. Very troubling times and we pray for healing and that we receive strength from God in learning from each other, living with each other and loving one another (that is what I pray for). I believe our coaching staff is juggling a number of issues in making sure our student-athletes are processing information well and are being supportive as well as preparing them for the upcoming semester as well as making sure they are concentrating on their summer school work with what information our university provides and being good representatives of our university. As far as the social situation you described, I believe our coaching staff is quite knowledgeable and are making sure the football team is focusing their energy constructively. And I am quite sure they are concerned about all their players as they recruited them and are a part of the student body and the coaches, being employees of the university, need to be concerned with all the student-athletes under their guidance and supervision.

Point 2. I do not know about the culture of Oklahoma State but if all it takes is a t-shirt, then there could be underlying problems there and it was the straw that broke the camel's back OR it was just this hyperbolic culture that many find themselves in. I do not know. But if you have information, I would like to hear it.

Point 3: that is your right to not listen to it and no one is forcing you to listen to this network. If you think they are disgusting that is fine; but I reserve the right to listen to them to find out for myself. Or is that not ok? I have heard of it but never listened to it. But then again, I listen to people like *gasp* Rush Limbaugh, Larry Elder, David Webb and have listened to Herman Cain and I have read books by Thomas Sowell. Oh the horror. I am surprised that I am not summarily lined up and shot for having such views and reading material. Do you want to live in a Orwellian world?

But you noted something interesting in reference to an OAN shirt: most disgusting things about people who look like me, then we have a SERIOUS problem. Once again this ain't politics.

And what serious problem would that be? Once again it is politics. My rights do not end where your feelings begin. And if a person gets fired because a t-shirt "offends" someone, then it is politics and is, in my opinion, quite fascist. The way to combat what you refer to as "hateful speech" is with more speech but not to the point where you physically harm someone or cause someone to lose their gainful employment. And before knuckleheads like that moron from Montana who goes by Veinup chimes in with something stupid like "what about the KKK? you support them?" No. I am not talking about that at all. What I am referring to is that in these times, THESE TIMES, much fear is being generated by the likes of activists who essentially are setting people up for failure because no response is seen as "your silence is aggression" or "the wrong response indicates you are out of touch." Such power-plays of controlling expression of speech does not open the conversation, it stifles it. Of course, morons like Montana Veinup does not get this because his reading comprehension is probably at the first grade level and anything beyond three sentences will cause his head to hurt. Plus, where he went to school the application was a coloring book and if he stayed within the lines for 50% of it, he was considered a highly qualified applicant. He won't get this but I doubt he will even read this far into this post. I am quite sure that a job applicant that failed at Montana State is a much better employee than a Montana graduate. Hmmm...that should be sufficient smack talk to render this post as related to FCS football.

The one thing to remember that in all hyperbolic political activism exploits is that the activists, when they run out of villains, begin to turn on each other. History has demonstrated this many times. The cultural revolution of Mao with the Red Guard began to fight each other over matters of "who was more pure in the interpretation of Mao's Red Book." Thus, nuanced views can be seen as "threatening to those of the total activist single minded approach". The words of Neimoller come to mind but I will put this in a sports context.

First they came for the Redskins fans, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Redskins fan.
Then they came for the Chicago Blackhawks, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Chicago Blackhawks fan.
Then they came for the Kansas City Chiefs and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Kansas City Chiefs fan.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 09:25 PM
Serious question, if culture is that bad at OSU, why play there? Chuba could have gone to ANY other school, but CHOSE OSU, so, is it possible: he knew what he was getting into OR what people are saying isn't true and they are capitalizing on the current climate to force their beliefs in. I ask since it's just not adding up. Why go play for a racist when any other school would do a lot to land a player of his caliber.

I would NEVER play for or send my kids (I dont have any) to go play for someone who is racist. I have zero time for people who are racist.

So why wouldn't Chuba leave OSU or step up before this? I'm asking an honest question cause from my end, it's just not adding up since I have to believe he was offered a scholarship at more than just OSU.

Most of the questions that you asked would need to be answered by Chuba. Secondly I don't think Mike Gundy is some racist, I think he's tone deaf as hell but not some racist.

But let's be honest, most places that we go we know that we're going to deal with a degree of racism and bigotry if we don't attend an HBCU. That's a harsh reality for black people even those in sports. I started my career at Alabama State and then transferred to Mississippi State as a graduate transfer. Problems and issues that I dealt with at Mississippi State never crossed my mind at ASU. To the guys who had spent some time at Mississippi State it was normal to them that the black students hung out on one part of the campus and not just all over campus, it was normal for them to hear racial epithet while on the road from visiting fans, because our own fans did it to opposing teams. Stuff like that threw me way off. I never worried about race and racism at ASU. The guys in Starkville had dealt with it for so long that that they were numb to it. They were numb to the fact that certain bars and clubs in Starkville tried their best to keep out black males, I never got adjusted to that. But what happens in Starkville happens at pretty much every college town in America.

McNeese75
June 17th, 2020, 09:27 PM

Coach Frank Wilson
New coach with a new coaching staff. From what I have seen of him in person he is a fine individual so I would suspect McNeese is good to go.

Herder
June 17th, 2020, 10:02 PM

Battling racism is like battling white privilege. You better get your infrared cameras and high tech audio equipment, as you’ll be chasing after ghosts. If you want to create major race issues, just scream racism And white privilege every chance you get.

A better idea would be for all people to make an effort to be respectful to their fellow man, and to authority. I read the OSU coaches response to the T-shirt he was wearing, and it didn’t sound racist or inappropriate.

Bisonoline
June 17th, 2020, 10:25 PM
Battling racism is like battling white privilege. You better get your infrared cameras and high tech audio equipment, as you’ll be chasing after ghosts. If you want to create major race issues, just scream racism And white privilege every chance you get.

A better idea would be for all people to make an effort to be respectful to their fellow man, and to authority. I read the OSU coaches response to the T-shirt he was wearing, and it didn’t sound racist or inappropriate.

Bingo

JacksFan40
June 17th, 2020, 10:25 PM
Just don’t speak your opinion if it strays from the mainstream and you’ll be just fine. Nobody is allowed to freely express themselves without being destroyed by social media.

ElCid
June 17th, 2020, 10:42 PM

I don't know what your definition of politics is, but for most people this most certainly is politics. Especially when there are forces at work that want to stifle speech. You say that the t-shirt was not the issue. Then why has it been plastered all over the news by everyone and used as taking points by political operatives? You say that there is a bad culture at OSU but don't offer any actual proof but seemingly only vague hearsay. Doesn't mean there isn't, but this entire episode smacks of nothing but politics. I actually never even heard of the tshirt network before this news broke, but when anyone is attacked for wearing a t-shirt of a news organization, I get concerned. Not concern for that organization, but for the principle of stifling speech. And finally later in the thread you said that that network said disgusting things about blacks folks. What did they say? Do you have links to their site? Or are you evaluating based on what another network said they said? Just curious and trying to get to the bottom of it. As I said, I never heard of them before this episode, let alone read anything from them. And just to be clear, I am pretty sure CNN has said some fairly disgusting things about people who look like me, but I am certain nobody is calling for anyone wearing a CNN t-shirt to be fired like I have heard some do.

Yes, there is a whole lot of politics wrapped up in this whether you recognize it or more likely, wish it was not present. I can sympathize with you there on so many issues. But I'm pretty sure we all know which party is trying to push a specific narrative for purely political reasons.

ASU33
June 17th, 2020, 11:36 PM
Once again racism ain't politics. A network makes the following statements:

"Black people are inherently more dangerous than their white counterparts so police must use a higher degree of force with them"

"The NBA and NFL are the reasons I love horse racing. The horses can't talk or tweet and I can be entertained without listening to their politics"

"Black Lives Matter is a total farce. Black people have it good enough in this country, they're not in chains. If anyone doesn't like it they're free to leave."

Statements such as those have nothing to do with politics and if your politics puts you on the side of that, then you need to reevaluate your politics. As a black man if you subscribe to a new station that says this type of thing, then I'm wondering what do really think about me?

Also twitter is free. You can go there a look at the tweets from the OSU players. They're not hard to find. As a matter of fact most sports shows have talked about them and what they say about the culture there.

FUBeAR
June 17th, 2020, 11:41 PM
Ursus must be on vacation. No way can this topic stay on the FCS Board.

dgtw
June 18th, 2020, 04:44 AM
I think our coaches can handle it. The local dip****s who worship a statue of a traitor in the town square is where the problems will start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panther88
June 18th, 2020, 05:28 AM
Serious question, if culture is that bad at OSU, why play there? Chuba could have gone to ANY other school, but CHOSE OSU, so, is it possible: he knew what he was getting into OR what people are saying isn't true and they are capitalizing on the current climate to force their beliefs in. I ask since it's just not adding up. Why go play for a racist when any other school would do a lot to land a player of his caliber.

Because those folk are highly unintelligent, imho. chuba, earl cambell, vince young, ricky williams, et al... they are not remotely intelligent, imho. Those folk and their unintelligent handlers will sell their soul and lose pride for big xii/sec air-time.

It was too easy for chuba to keep his mouth shut and transfer out. Personally, the quiet of the transfer portal solidifies my stance regarding how naively ignorant too many football/basketball players are.

ASU33
June 18th, 2020, 06:28 AM
Because those folk are highly unintelligent, imho. chuba, earl cambell, vince young, ricky williams, et al... they are not remotely intelligent, imho. Those folk and their unintelligent handlers will sell their soul and lose pride for big xii/sec air-time.

It was too easy for chuba to keep his mouth shut and transfer out. Personally, the quiet of the transfer portal solidifies my stance regarding how naively ignorant too many football/basketball players are.

You're just on one lately I see. Smh!

Panther88
June 18th, 2020, 07:08 AM
You're just on one lately I see. Smh!

I've been on "one" since the 1980s and I made sure my offspring stay on "one" too since they turned down several offers and accepted only those that I support.

kingpin's question is legit and speaks of unintelligence for anyone who submits to a hostile, toxic, or bigoted environment. The truth, it always hurts.

Go Green
June 18th, 2020, 07:17 AM
With everything going on socially and concerns that have been raised in the past, how confident are you in your coaching staff's ability to reach out and address concerns of the black players on your team? We've seen obvious culture problems at Iowa, Missouri, and Oklahoma State but those are just the ones that have gone public. With the this current climate I think that we'll see more of this over the next few weeks and months.

Any coach who doesn't runs the risk of becoming another Lloyd Eaton.

POD Knows
June 18th, 2020, 07:37 AM
Once again racism ain't politics. A network makes the following statements:

"Black people are inherently more dangerous than their white counterparts so police must use a higher degree of force with them"

"The NBA and NFL are the reasons I love horse racing. The horses can't talk or tweet and I can be entertained without listening to their politics"

"Black Lives Matter is a total farce. Black people have it good enough in this country, they're not in chains. If anyone doesn't like it they're free to leave."

Statements such as those have nothing to do with politics and if your politics puts you on the side of that, then you need to reevaluate your politics. As a black man if you subscribe to a new station that says this type of thing, then I'm wondering what do really think about me?

Also twitter is free. You can go there a look at the tweets from the OSU players. They're not hard to find. As a matter of fact most sports shows have talked about them and what they say about the culture there.
Those appear to be from the comments section of an article or something. Have you read reader comments from the NYT, CNN site and others. Lots of vile stuff posted.

TheKingpin28
June 18th, 2020, 07:37 AM
Most of the questions that you asked would need to be answered by Chuba. Secondly I don't think Mike Gundy is some racist, I think he's tone deaf as hell but not some racist.

But let's be honest, most places that we go we know that we're going to deal with a degree of racism and bigotry if we don't attend an HBCU. That's a harsh reality for black people even those in sports. I started my career at Alabama State and then transferred to Mississippi State as a graduate transfer. Problems and issues that I dealt with at Mississippi State never crossed my mind at ASU. To the guys who had spent some time at Mississippi State it was normal to them that the black students hung out on one part of the campus and not just all over campus, it was normal for them to hear racial epithet while on the road from visiting fans, because our own fans did it to opposing teams. Stuff like that threw me way off. I never worried about race and racism at ASU. The guys in Starkville had dealt with it for so long that that they were numb to it. They were numb to the fact that certain bars and clubs in Starkville tried their best to keep out black males, I never got adjusted to that. But what happens in Starkville happens at pretty much every college town in America.See I find that unfortunately interesting. I guess, living in Fargo for 7 years, I did not think there was a bar where Black people were encouraged to avoid. Sure you had the Bismarck which everyone avoided like the plague, but for college bars, I just figured anyone who did not act like a POS, was welcomed. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

All that said, I still have to believe there is more to the story with Chuba. I'd have to believe more than OSU would have offered him a scholarship and if more than 1 school did, why would anyone want to go to a place where they are going to be made feel less than human? I guess on my end, it just doesn't make sense. Not going to say places do not have their own issues they need to deal with, but if he truly felt like the culture was that bad, why would him or anyone for that matter, go play there?

MR. CHICKEN
June 18th, 2020, 07:40 AM
If Camo ever gets poliical, look out! 

......CAMO....BELONGS ON DUH BACKS UH SOLDIERS....NOT DUH SAN DIEGO PADRES.......CAMO INCITES DUH LOONIES...INTA SKOOL/WORK PLACE SHOOTIN'S....AN' FO' DUH HERD THINNERS........CAMO/DEER MUSK/SCOPES......AN' BAMBI OWNLAH HAS ITS WITS...........BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
June 18th, 2020, 07:48 AM
Cant speak for the Coaches but

obviously I would not ignore the issues that are going on in the United States of America right now.... talk about it first thing on day one

I have a feeling that a lot of college football players later go into Law Enforcement, bring these ex players in for a face to face with the team

If I was a coach and a player or players had concerns about the Police, I would ask the local Police Dept if said players could ride in a Patrol car for about a week or even for a night, hang out at the Station and have a few donuts with boys.... like an exchange program..... I think this would also be good for the Police, I know this idea would come with legal obstacles...

Likewise if any player had a problem with a player that wanted to kneel for the National Anthem, I would make them room, eat, sleep, socialize and study with this group of players with the goal being for them to get a better understanding of what the protest is really about

If any player wanted to kneel during Anthem, I would ask them to write me a statement on why and what results did they expect to see from choice to kneel and also remind them that choosing to do this will be offensive to many....... Also, in statement I would ask them if they had any ideas that were more constructive and less offensive to meet the goal of kneeling.... why not really do something about it? challenge the player and not bow to the player, but after all said and done, if player chooses to kneel so be it

If I thought there was any sign of racial tension on the team, like groups of black players only eating with other blacks or white players doing the same, I would dictate who the roommates would be...... again players are most likely going to want to dorm with friends and stay in racial comfort zones, so if a problem is brought to the forefront the comfort zone would get busted up...

and if there was a Puerto Rican player, he better be ready to be the Social Captain

JayJ79
June 18th, 2020, 07:56 AM
Ursus must be on vacation. No way can this topic stay on the FCS Board.
no doubt. OSU, Iowa, and the rest of the teams being talked about are not FCS.
Should be moved to the "Other Sports" board

JayJ79
June 18th, 2020, 08:03 AM
If any player wanted to kneel during Anthem, I would ask them to write me a statement on why and what results did they expect to see from choice to kneel and also remind them that choosing to do this will be offensive to many....... Also, in statement I would ask them if they had any ideas that were more constructive and less offensive to meet the goal of kneeling.... why not really do something about it? challenge the player and not bow to the player, but after all said and done, if player chooses to kneel so be it
If anyone wants to be offended by someone kneeling during the Anthem, I would ask them to write a statement as to why they are so offended by a non-disruptive, non-violent form of protest dedicated to bring attention to a very real problem in this country.

Panther88
June 18th, 2020, 08:09 AM
See I find that unfortunately interesting. I guess, living in Fargo for 7 years, I did not think there was a bar where Black people were encouraged to avoid. Sure you had the Bismarck which everyone avoided like the plague, but for college bars, I just figured anyone who did not act like a POS, was welcomed. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

All that said, I still have to believe there is more to the story with Chuba. I'd have to believe more than OSU would have offered him a scholarship and if more than 1 school did, why would anyone want to go to a place where they are going to be made feel less than human? I guess on my end, it just doesn't make sense. Not going to say places do not have their own issues they need to deal with, but if he truly felt like the culture was that bad, why would him or anyone for that matter, go play there?

Guy, why are you apologizing for an outcome that asu33 desired? That's his fault for voluntarily submitting to that toxic environment. He got EXACTLY what he deserved and asked for lol.

chuba et al aren't mentally bright. Hostile environment yet continue to persist there. Why? Duhhhhh...

TheKingpin28
June 18th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Guy, why are you apologizing for an outcome that asu33 desired? That's his fault for voluntarily submitting to that toxic environment. He got EXACTLY what he deserved and asked for lol.

chuba et al aren't mentally bright. Hostile environment yet continue to persist there. Why? Duhhhhh...

No should be made to feel less than human when they are going about their life leaving people alone. If I attended Alabama St, I'd expect to be treated with dignity and humanity, the same if ASU33 attended NDSU. That goes for anyone attending any school. That said, I would also make sure, the school I was attending, was going to accept me for my beliefs and what I look like; and not denigrate me to less-than-human for no fault of my own. I guess that is where you and I disagree. If someone is attending Mississippi St, they should be able to go where they want and not have to "keep to their area".

ASU33
June 18th, 2020, 08:41 AM

You sir are an idiot. I went to Mississippi State because I wanted the opportunity to prove myself in the best football conference in America. And I did exactly that! Why you sit back on your old school perch and try to down me for going to Mississippi State you need to check yourself and your own internal issues. I went to Mississippi State and played for the first black head coach in the SEC, also the first head black football coach at any non-Hbcu in the deep south, I was on the team that won the first bowl game by a black coach in SEC History, I finished the year with all SEC Honors. Off the field I walked away with a Master's Degree, I helped establish an NAACP at Mississippi State University that's still vibrant today, was a part of a group of students that integrated Mississippi State's Student Government Association for the first time ever. Regardless at Bama State or Mississippi State I'm still a black man, and this whole idea that you dont support people unless they go to HBCUs doesn't make you a Revolutionary. It makes you an idiot!

ElCid
June 18th, 2020, 09:05 AM
Those appear to be from the comments section of an article or something. Have you read reader comments from the NYT, CNN site and others. Lots of vile stuff posted.

That was what I was thinking. Pretty sure they were not part of actual articles. Especially since there are no links provided. Again, no proof, just innuendo and accusations. I may have to go read some of their articles to see for myself. I have looked at many other news organization's stories about this network for specific instances of these accusations in regard to specific articles, but have come up empty as to these statements. If they are true I would be mad as well. But there is no evidence provided. Until there is, that makes it merely political.

ASU33
June 18th, 2020, 09:25 AM
That was what I was thinking. Pretty sure they were not part of actual articles. Especially since there are no links provided. Again, no proof, just innuendo and accusations. I may have to go read some of their articles to see for myself. I have looked at many other news organization's stories about this network for specific instances of these accusations in regard to specific articles, but have come up empty as to these statements. If they are true I would be mad as well. But there is no evidence provided. Until there is, that makes it merely political.

Two things. One if black people collectively are offended by a network common sense says it's not due to the comments section.

Two: The internet is free as hell. How about find your own proof. It's not my job or any other person of color's responsibility to show you proof that we're offended by a network.

POD Knows
June 18th, 2020, 09:29 AM
OK, I actually went into this OANN site expecting it to be some type of ****box of right wing conservative thought, sort of what CNN, NBC, CBS, PBS and other are to the left side of the aisle.

It is actually a fairly decent site, I might have to take a deeper look at it. Here is a link to their business section. This is a pretty decent site, the articles on this site, at least in this section, are pretty solid. If this is what that guy at OSU was upset about, he needs to look in the mirror, he has bought into the propaganda about the site and I doubt he has even looked at it, just another sheeple following the PC leftist herd. Just my never humble opinion.

https://www.oann.com/category/economy/

caribbeanhen
June 18th, 2020, 09:38 AM
If anyone wants to be offended by someone kneeling during the Anthem, I would ask them to write a statement as to why they are so offended by a non-disruptive, non-violent form of protest dedicated to bring attention to a very real problem in this country.

To me, actual positive results are more important than provocation

I feel like we should not have to agitate to address a problem

POD Knows
June 18th, 2020, 09:44 AM
Two things. One if black people collectively are offended by a network common sense says it's not due to the comments section.

Two: The internet is free as hell. How about find your own proof. It's not my job or any other person of color's responsibility to show you proof that we're offended by a network.
I am taking a morning off from work and I have now read about 10 different articles on this site and have scanned every tab on it, I still have not seen the racism you claim exists on here. I am not reading the comments, just the articles. The content on this site is far better than I thought it would be. The section on business is a good as anything out there. Have you actually looked at the site. I plead ignorance here, I need you to provide me with site content that is outside the norm and racist, and don't include the stupid comments because I can go to any lefty site and find stuff far more vile than what you showed here.

ST_Lawson
June 18th, 2020, 10:40 AM
At Western I'm not too worried about the coaching staff or the athletics department in general. I don't know what goes on behind locker room doors, but at least publicly, they've been proactive in denouncing racism.

However, our community in general is very white and rural, and I know that many black students (including some black student-athletes) have been harassed by locals including "local" students, employees from the small towns in the area, town and campus police officers, etc.
It took him a while to get the "feel" of the local situation, but our interim president has done a very good job lately of calling people out, doing what he can to address things, etc. https://www.tspr.org/post/wiu-interim-president-local-racial-issues-we-must-do-better

One thing to keep in mind is that racism isn't a "you are or you aren't" sort of thing. It's not like a person is either a klan hood-wearing "white-power" advocate or completely non-racist. For most people, it's not something you are, but something you do. Nearly everyone at some point in their lives has said or thought something that would be considered "racist"...I'm sure I have. Saying that something someone has said or done is racist isn't an attack against that person, but an attempt to address their actions and educate them so that they understand why their actions were hurtful to a group of people. What I've started doing and will continue to do is to work to educate myself and my kids about individual and systemic racism, and try to call out instances of racist statements or actions when I hear or see them. It's not everything I could be doing, but it's a start.

Panther88
June 18th, 2020, 11:16 AM
No should be made to feel less than human when they are going about their life leaving people alone. If I attended Alabama St, I'd expect to be treated with dignity and humanity, the same if ASU33 attended NDSU. That goes for anyone attending any school. That said, I would also make sure, the school I was attending, was going to accept me for my beliefs and what I look like; and not denigrate me to less-than-human for no fault of my own. I guess that is where you and I disagree. If someone is attending Mississippi St, they should be able to go where they want and not have to "keep to their area".

If you are highly aware of the hostile and toxic environment yet you persist to remain there, whose fault is it that you receive predictable negative treatment? You know up front what awaits you yet you challenge common sense and ice skate up Mt Kilimanjuro. Not. Mentally. Bright.

Panther88
June 18th, 2020, 11:23 AM
You sir are an idiot. I went to Mississippi State because I wanted the opportunity to prove myself in the best football conference in America. And I did exactly that! Why you sit back on your old school perch and try to down me for going to Mississippi State you need to check yourself and your own internal issues. I went to Mississippi State and played for the first black head coach in the SEC, also the first head black football coach at any non-Hbcu in the deep south, I was on the team that won the first bowl game by a black coach in SEC History, I finished the year with all SEC Honors. Off the field I walked away with a Master's Degree, I helped establish an NAACP at Mississippi State University that's still vibrant today, was a part of a group of students that integrated Mississippi State's Student Government Association for the first time ever. Regardless at Bama State or Mississippi State I'm still a black man, and this whole idea that you dont support people unless they go to HBCUs doesn't make you a Revolutionary. It makes you an idiot!

Says the dummy who couldn't walk on certain parts of a toxic campus he himself chose. Common sense is not too common and neither is intelligence, obviously.

I support strictly, w/out other dummies affirmation, what I support and that's all that matters to me and mine. Kill your mono-rhetoric, dumb chuba; caping for kum-bah-yah hand holding, super-caper.

favorite football fan
June 18th, 2020, 12:00 PM

Point 1: And there are people who are "offended" by Fox News. I like Fox News and will continue to watch them. I am finding this OAN controversy to be nothing more than the waging of a propaganda effort.
Point 2: Actually, the burden of proof rests with the advocate to make their case not the critic. But it appears that those who have researched it cannot find the racism that you suggest. I am quite sure that any article mentioning those things would have made the news and have been openly criticized by the likes of CNN and MSNBC and the NYT thus I am doubtful that such was written in any article. Which brings me back to the propaganda effort. As well, Twitter is not a news source, it is a playground or as Rush Limbaugh would say "a sewer." One cannot get a feel for the mood of the general public from observing Twitter. In my view, it is a platform by which to stir up controversy. Thus, any controversial article having those writings would have reached the news and been deemed controversial. The OkState player probably did more for OAN than OAN's own marketing could ever do. And by bringing it to AGS, you have helped OAN get more clicks.

As per your Miss State reference. All I can say is congrats to you and your determination to play and go to school at Miss St. But I am curious at to how this entered the mix. Nonetheless, I congratulate you for your accomplishments off the field. But this disturbed me: "I'm still a black man, and this whole idea that you dont support people unless they go to HBCUs doesn't make you a Revolutionary. It makes you an idiot." I consider you an AGS fan and an American citizen. I would like to know where the notion that if you did not go to an HBCU that you would not get any support. I am sure that those who advocate for HBCU's would suggest that you should have gone to an HBCU not because of race but because they could have used your talent. But I doubt that it has less to do with race but more to do with HBCU pride but that does not mean you are "less". Of course, the UMiss fans will say you wasted your time at MissSt but that is the banter of rivalries. It is good to have choices where one wants to go to college. As in the case of the OKState player and players, I am surprised that there has not been a mass exodus to the transfer portal based on the allegations leveled against Gundy. Surely that toxic of an environment would prompt an exodus and I doubt that any of these student-athletes are "trapped" as we have seen the transfer portal gone wild as of late.

Bisonoline
June 18th, 2020, 01:27 PM

But let's be honest, most places that we go we know that we're going to deal with a degree of racism and bigotry if we don't attend an HBCU. That's a harsh reality for black people even those in sports. I started my career at Alabama State and then transferred to Mississippi State as a graduate transfer. Problems and issues that I dealt with at Mississippi State never crossed my mind at ASU. To the guys who had spent some time at Mississippi State it was normal to them that the black students hung out on one part of the campus and not just all over campus, it was normal for them to hear racial epithet while on the road from visiting fans, because our own fans did it to opposing teams. Stuff like that threw me way off. I never worried about race and racism at ASU. The guys in Starkville had dealt with it for so long that that they were numb to it. They were numb to the fact that certain bars and clubs in Starkville tried their best to keep out black males, I never got adjusted to that. But what happens in Starkville happens at pretty much every college town in America.

I appreciate this post and made me think of my time at Iowa and NDSU.

At Iowa they had just come off the Black Boycott. (I can provide details if anyone wants me to.) I as a incoming freshman had no clue about this as back then there was no social media so all of my recollections are in hindsight. There didnt seem to any huge animosity among the white players or black. At least nothing that was apparent. No blow ups what so ever. In my two years at Iowa if I were to pick out any players who personified the words true teammate and leadership it would be two black teammates who took the time to explain to a sophomore what what was expected when you played at Iowa. I will never forget when I got on the plane to go to our first game of the season I was looking for a seat and Don Osmond said you are sitting with me. He then explained all the rules for traveling, managing time during the season etc etc etc.
As I think back now I can recognize that there were some different factions. Then add in the Vietnam protests and riots? Crazy times.

But black players hung with the blacks for the most part. I look at that as a cultural thing. Just like Asians hang with Asians. Of course there is always going to be over lap. At NDSU we had very few blacks. As a matter of fact the blacks we did have kind of glommed on to me because I had played with the brothers at Iowa and they wanted to know all about it. Which at the time I thought strange.

As far as player attitudes??????? Couple of different thoughts on that. Nothing as far as blow ups. But for some reason the 3 black players didnt participate in spring ball. We thought they were gone. But when fall ball rolled around they were back on the team. Only thing coach said was--after talking with them he was going to allow them back. There was some initial grumbing but then nothing more was said.

I think the most off putting thing for the--matter of fact up north boys was the complaining about playing time. Which the response was----if you were half as good as you think you are you would be playing. At which point I think a deaf ear really became deaf ears.

Im not going to say at that time in ND 1972-73 it was easy to be black at NDSU just because of the fact that there just werent many blacks in Fargo.

In all the stadiums I played at I never heard any racial yelling. I guess being in the north is different. I cant imagine going through that **** at MSU.

ASU33
June 18th, 2020, 02:15 PM
As per your Miss State reference. All I can say is congrats to you and your determination to play and go to school at Miss St. But I am curious at to how this entered the mix. Nonetheless, I congratulate you for your accomplishments off the field. But this disturbed me: "I'm still a black man, and this whole idea that you dont support people unless they go to HBCUs doesn't make you a Revolutionary. It makes you an idiot." I consider you an AGS fan and an American citizen. I would like to know where the notion that if you did not go to an HBCU that you would not get any support. I am sure that those who advocate for HBCU's would suggest that you should have gone to an HBCU not because of race but because they could have used your talent. But I doubt that it has less to do with race but more to do with HBCU pride but that does not mean you are "less". Of course, the UMiss fans will say you wasted your time at MissSt but that is the banter of rivalries. It is good to have choices where one wants to go to college. As in the case of the OKState player and players, I am surprised that there has not been a mass exodus to the transfer portal based on the allegations leveled against Gundy. Surely that toxic of an environment would prompt an exodus and I doubt that any of these student-athletes are "trapped" as we have seen the transfer portal gone wild as of late.

Many in our community share the feelings of Panther88 that be choosing to go to a school like Mississippi State and it's well documented racial issues that you shouldn't complain about any racism that you experience there. Many people called me a sellout, and everything else when I decided to leave Alabama State after the Spring of 2006. I tore my ACL in Spring ball that year so I was out for my senior season so I decided after Graduation to take advantage of the grad transfer rule and do my rehab at Mississippi State while staring grad school. A few people were highly upset that I chose to make that decision and I understand why but people did things like bring up the fact that my mom is white as a reason that I left ASU, which is straight BS considering my mom has her Bachelor's and Masters from Alabama State. Yes I knew I would experience racism at Mississippi State, I had talked to players on the team and frat brothers who were already there so I knew the temperature in the room. I went because you can't make a difference from the outside. Mississippi State still has its faults but I feel like during my time there we helped make a big difference. Alabama State is home to me. I'm Bama State through and through. I'm a Bama State season ticket holder and I've only gone back to maybe 4 Mississippi State games since I left. Bama State is home, Mississippi State was just simply a stop along the journey.

favorite football fan
June 18th, 2020, 03:43 PM
Many in our community share the feelings of Panther88 that be choosing to go to a school like Mississippi State and it's well documented racial issues that you shouldn't complain about any racism that you experience there. Many people called me a sellout, and everything else when I decided to leave Alabama State after the Spring of 2006. I tore my ACL in Spring ball that year so I was out for my senior season so I decided after Graduation to take advantage of the grad transfer rule and do my rehab at Mississippi State while staring grad school. A few people were highly upset that I chose to make that decision and I understand why but people did things like bring up the fact that my mom is white as a reason that I left ASU, which is straight BS considering my mom has her Bachelor's and Masters from Alabama State. Yes I knew I would experience racism at Mississippi State, I had talked to players on the team and frat brothers who were already there so I knew the temperature in the room. I went because you can't make a difference from the outside. Mississippi State still has its faults but I feel like during my time there we helped make a big difference. Alabama State is home to me. I'm Bama State through and through. I'm a Bama State season ticket holder and I've only gone back to maybe 4 Mississippi State games since I left. Bama State is home, Mississippi State was just simply a stop along the journey.

Very good. If people from Alabama St called you a sell-out, then that is not racist element there, sounds like jealousy and trying to make you feel bad for "leaving". I have no knowledge of racism at MissSt so I cannot comment. From what is sounds like, you have an undergrad degree from Alabama State and a MS from MissSt. No problem there. And of course it is baloney that you would commit to four years (I presume) at ASU and use the grad transfer rule to to MissState. I can see why this is a scar on your life but I would not let that get you down and you could have heard that from both sides of the spectrum. I have heard the banter of AA students arguing among themselves and one of them had a white parent and the other way too. I personally do not care as I don't think you had much of a choice in the matter as none of us get to choose our parents. Plus, at my age, I have learned to realize that love is a many a splendored thing and there are always those things such as Guess Who is Coming to Dinner. Or unless you want to use that argument that someone used to sue their parents because he did not give consent to be born. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47154287 I thought that was wildly hilarious but then again, insanity knows no boundaries.

I recall growing up that it was a major crisis when the local Methodist girl was going to marry the Catholic boy from the other town. You talk about scandal but that was simply small town, rural life. But you are correct in that most people have their love for their undergraduate alma mater than their graduate school alma mater. Nothing unusual there. And really, what I have learned is that people are people and have ALL the human fallible's. Remember, matter is made up of four parts: neutrons, protons, electrons and morons. NO ONE is immune to this. But I do caution against those who can find racism in a cereal bowl as one colleague put forth to me and yes, he was African-American.

cx500d
June 18th, 2020, 05:15 PM

4 U.S. Code § 8. Respect for flag. How’s that for a start?

cx500d
June 18th, 2020, 05:16 PM

I yield the floor to asu33

Ivytalk
June 18th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Murph and his staff will do just fine on these issues. The real enemy of Harvard FB is apathy at this point.

ElCid
June 18th, 2020, 05:29 PM

In other words you can't back up your accusations. Doesn't mean that they aren't true. Also doesn't mean they are true.

You made the accusation. You must have had proof of some kind and yet you can't provide it for others to see. You do realize how that looks right? It looks like politics to me. Nothing more. Give us proof of what they printed or said and I could support you.

Bisonoline
June 18th, 2020, 05:52 PM

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

SDFS
June 18th, 2020, 05:54 PM
Will NDSUs coaching staff be able to address black players concerns?

Yes

What specific concerns do you think might be problematic for the coaching staff to address?

Just last week UND dismissed 2 volleyball players because I think they used the "n" word on their social media. A black football player brought it to the attention of the school.

To be just a bit more clear because NOTHING you said is true:

1) Players were not dismissed - they left school - due social media hate messages and fear of safety.
2) The players recorded themselves singing a song which contained a lyric with the N-word.
3) The manufacturer social media post was addressed by the University and players in January.
4) UND released a online promotional Season Ticket poster with several athletes across multiple sports. It included 1 of the volleyball players and an issue was raised questioning why?

More Details:

"In January of this year, a University of North Dakota Volleyball teammate and I were alone in a car and we recorded ourselves singing a hip hop song by an African-American artist. The lyrics in the song included the use of the N-word. Regrettably, we sang the song including the inappropriate lyrics as written and forwarded the video to a single friend who watched it on his phone. While the use of the word was not directed at anyone or said with hate or malice, singing lyrics that included that word was immature and insensitive. Even in this context, use of that word was inappropriate."

and more:

"A person standing behind the friend who received the video recorded a second video of our friend's phone while he was watching the recording. This second video was cropped to include only the inappropriate section and then shared on social media and ultimately brought to the attention of University administration. An investigation was conducted by the University and we admitted that singing those lyrics and using that word was inappropriate. The University determined that we did not break their Student Code of Conduct or Athletic Code but we all agreed there should be consequences from singing the song in the video because we were student athletes and represented the University."

Followed by more on this topic, which is very scary:

"Several months later in the wake of George Floyd protests, the video resurfaced as a result of complaints made by an African-American student athlete at the University. Also, there were manufactured Snapchat messages that surfaced that neither my teammate nor I said or typed. We reported this to the University of North Dakota and they told us there have been other complaints of this happening to other athletes but they were not able to determine who was impersonating us."

Finally the social media mob:

After receiving a lot of hate messages and threats, I made the decision to step away from the University for my physical and emotional safety. I was not dismissed from the UND Volleyball team. I also was never asked to leave the team or University; in fact, I was asked to stay. The media in both North Dakota and my home town have reported this story but, unfortunately, I was never asked for a comment. As a result, there have been many misrepresentations and lies reported instead of the facts.

NOTE: This is not the first time that manufactured acts of racism have been used against UND Students and Alumni. There were calls to national media that individuals used the term "Prairie N&@&@&@&" publicly and that they could prove it. After the national media moved in a couple of days. A local member of media actually followed up with this individual. At which time he admitted that he had no proof and simply stated - "End justifies the means." This is the activism we live with today. As long as there definition of right is met. The End justifies the means.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/6533386-UND-volleyball-player-explains-usage-of-racist-word-in-video-and-says-she-voluntarily-left-the-program

POD Knows
June 18th, 2020, 06:10 PM

1) Players were not dismissed - they left school - due social media hate messages and fear of safety.
2) The players recorded themselves singing a song which contained a lyric with the N-word.
3) The manufacturer social media post was addressed by the University and players in January.
4) UND released a online promotional Season Ticket poster with several athletes across multiple sports. It included 1 of the volleyball players and an issue was raised questioning why?

More Details:

"In January of this year, a University of North Dakota Volleyball teammate and I were alone in a car and we recorded ourselves singing a hip hop song by an African-American artist. The lyrics in the song included the use of the N-word. Regrettably, we sang the song including the inappropriate lyrics as written and forwarded the video to a single friend who watched it on his phone. While the use of the word was not directed at anyone or said with hate or malice, singing lyrics that included that word was immature and insensitive. Even in this context, use of that word was inappropriate."

and more:

"A person standing behind the friend who received the video recorded a second video of our friend's phone while he was watching the recording. This second video was cropped to include only the inappropriate section and then shared on social media and ultimately brought to the attention of University administration. An investigation was conducted by the University and we admitted that singing those lyrics and using that word was inappropriate. The University determined that we did not break their Student Code of Conduct or Athletic Code but we all agreed there should be consequences from singing the song in the video because we were student athletes and represented the University."

"Several months later in the wake of George Floyd protests, the video resurfaced as a result of complaints made by an African-American student athlete at the University. Also, there were manufactured Snapchat messages that surfaced that neither my teammate nor I said or typed. We reported this to the University of North Dakota and they told us there have been other complaints of this happening to other athletes but they were not able to determine who was impersonating us."

After receiving a lot of hate messages and threats, I made the decision to step away from the University for my physical and emotional safety. I was not dismissed from the UND Volleyball team. I also was never asked to leave the team or University; in fact, I was asked to stay. The media in both North Dakota and my home town have reported this story but, unfortunately, I was never asked for a comment. As a result, there have been many misrepresentations and lies reported instead of the facts.

NOTE: This is not the first time that manufactured acts of racism have been used against UND Students and Alumni. There were calls to national media that individuals used the term "Prairie N&@&@&@&" publicly and that they could prove it. After the national media moved in a couple of days. A local member of media actually followed up with this individual. At which time he admitted that he had no proof and simply stated - "End justifies the means." This is the activism we live with today. As long as there definition of right is meet. The End justifies the means.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/6533386-UND-volleyball-player-explains-usage-of-racist-word-in-video-and-says-she-voluntarily-left-the-programThis guy, football player, better hope he is Jesus Freaking Christ because he better not listen to or sing to songs with the N word or Katie bar the door. ****, who am I kidding, it is only racist when some blonde haired white chick repeats the lyrics.

cx500d
June 18th, 2020, 07:41 PM

More Details:

and more:

NOTE: This is not the first time that manufactured acts of racism have been used against UND Students and Alumni. There were calls to national media that individuals used the term "Prairie N&@&@&@&" publicly and that they could prove it. After the national media moved in a couple of days. A local member of media actually followed up with this individual. At which time he admitted that he had no proof and simply stated - "End justifies the means." This is the activism we live with today. As long as there definition of right is meet. The End justifies the means.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/6533386-UND-volleyball-player-explains-usage-of-racist-word-in-video-and-says-she-voluntarily-left-the-program
If the song is so racist the majority of the population can’t sing it, maybe it should just be banned, or the artist called out as a racist

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 18th, 2020, 07:48 PM

More Details:

and more:

NOTE: This is not the first time that manufactured acts of racism have been used against UND Students and Alumni. There were calls to national media that individuals used the term "Prairie N&@&@&@&" publicly and that they could prove it. After the national media moved in a couple of days. A local member of media actually followed up with this individual. At which time he admitted that he had no proof and simply stated - "End justifies the means." This is the activism we live with today. As long as there definition of right is met. The End justifies the means.

Well good. Got the whole story. I heard part of it when it first broke on the radio. Obviously, the whole story wasn't out yet when I heard it

Bisonoline
June 18th, 2020, 07:51 PM
Well good. Got the whole story. I heard part of it when it first broke on the radio. Obviously, the whole story wasn't out yet when I heard it

No matter how you slice it or try to spin it they left because of inappropriate behavior.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 18th, 2020, 07:54 PM
No matter how you slice it pr spin it they left because of inappropriate behavior.

Agree.

You really have to watch what you put out on your social media.

Or be like me....I'm not on anything but this site. No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or anything. Only AGS

cx500d
June 18th, 2020, 07:54 PM
No matter how you slice it they left because of inappropriate behavior.
I don’t consider their behavior inappropriate. Their crime was singing to a song from an apparently recorded artist. If that is a crime, the song publisher, thE recording Studio, and the artist should all be closed, banned, whatever. The douche nozzles making a stink about it were he ones engaging in inappropriate behavior.

SDFS
June 18th, 2020, 07:55 PM
No matter how you slice it or try to spin it they left because of inappropriate behavior.

The inappropriate behavior being - "recording yourself singing a song with a friend".

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 18th, 2020, 07:57 PM
I don’t consider their behavior inappropriate. Their crime was singing to a song from an apparently recorded artist. If that is a crime, the song publisher, thE recording Studio, and the artist should all be closed, banned, whatever. The douche nozzles making a stink about it were he ones engaging in inappropriate behavior.

Well, obviously in today's PC climate anything is fair game. Breathing wrong will offend someone.

POD Knows
June 18th, 2020, 07:58 PM
Agree, they did nothing wrong, hell, worst case scenario they were mocking the "common culture" and drawing attention to the hypocrisy.

Bisonoline
June 18th, 2020, 08:00 PM

Rememeber what they say about repeating **** on the net. If you repeat it its just as bad as it you wrote it. :D

dgtw
June 18th, 2020, 09:23 PM
I guess saying you made a mistake and apologizing isn’t enough anymore.

favorite football fan
June 18th, 2020, 09:37 PM
I guess saying you made a mistake and apologizing isn’t enough anymore.

No, it is not adequate enough as you will be seen and accused of as being insincere. Your life must be destroyed for your past sins and transgressions by the grievance industry workers. Everything is viewed through the lens of racism. Here is an interesting article: https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/06/how-cultural-revolutions-die-or-not/#slide-1

SDFS
June 18th, 2020, 10:06 PM
Agree.

You really have to watch what you put out on your social media.

Or be like me....I'm not on anything but this site. No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or anything. Only AGS

Thats just it - she didn't post anything on social media. They sent a video clip to a friend. Another person created a nefarious copy and then orchestrated all of the HATE!!!

Milktruck74
June 18th, 2020, 11:15 PM
If you asked this last year, I would say "I know our coach personally. Have for 25 years. Played with him. He is a good man and he will treat everybody on the team like they are his own. He will treat them with the dignity and respect they deserve as his players, and tone of their skin has nothing to do with how he will respond." But given the current culture in our country, he will more than likely piss off some coddled B Rate player that thinks he deserves more playing time (when 90 other guys know he isn't that good) and the B Rate kid will say it has something to do with race and in about 17 seconds, the school will drop him like a bad habit.....because that is how the cancel culture works! I just don't know where it ends.

JayJ79
June 19th, 2020, 10:05 AM
nothing in code says anything about not kneeling, nor anything about the playing of the anthem.

But I do see plenty of other things in that code that you should be in a much bigger uproar about than the kneeling.

"(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free."
what about those big flags that they sometimes display flat/horizontally across the field?

"(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."
plenty of violations of this, especially by drunk idiots on the 4th of July. And the stores are full of all sorts of clothing printed with the flag on it.

"(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard."
plenty of this going around too

cx500d
June 19th, 2020, 10:25 AM
nothing in code says anything about not kneeling, nor anything about the playing of the anthem.

But I do see plenty of other things in that code that you should be in a much bigger uproar about than the kneeling.

"(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free."
what about those big flags that they sometimes display flat/horizontally across the field?

"(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."
plenty of violations of this, especially by drunk idiots on the 4th of July. And the stores are full of all sorts of clothing printed with the flag on it.

"(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard."
plenty of this going around too

All good points. For (d) I think the intent is not to use an actual flag for such things. (i) talks about embroidery or printing, but on things that are meant to be thrown away. Clothes, etc., are not necessarily temporary. I do see (c) pretty commonly at football games
§ 9 is about conduct...All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart

36 U.S. Code § 301.National anthem(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—(1)when the flag is displayed—(A)individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B)members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and

(C)all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2)when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

dgtw
June 19th, 2020, 10:45 AM
Is it OK to hug the flag? During the anthem, can you stand and pretend to direct a band?

Asking for a friend.

favorite football fan
June 19th, 2020, 11:44 AM
Remember when I told you all that the mascots were next? And some of you read it and said "nah, hyperbole." Well, this is just the beginning.

https://sports.yahoo.com/columnist-suggests-texas-rangers-change-name-due-to-law-enforcement-agencys-racist-past-224820387.html

...the Texas Rangers name serves no purpose other than honoring a storied law enforcement agency with a history of brutality and racist behavior (https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/steve-chapman/ct-column-texas-rangers-brutality-statue-chapman-20200617-bani5arbkfh67onjd6a6mdl36m-story.html?int=lat_digitaladshouse_bx-modal_acquisition-subscriber_ngux_display-ad-interstitial_bx-bonus-story_______).

Bison fans, your mascot will be next in line as remember, the bison were the preferred food group of the Native Americans and they were hunted and slaughtered by capitalists and white people who wanted to farm the rich soil and did not want to have those pesky bison around and people on trains, built by the evil industrialists, had their customers shoot the bison from the trains for sport. Don't laugh. Someone will bring this up eventually. Just preparing you for the next wave of protestations by the grievance industry work force and the cancel culture.

The rest of us had better start taking a look at what symbols are around your campus that does not add to racial equity and/or equality.

One comment here noted the following: [Is it OK to hug the flag? During the anthem, can you stand and pretend to direct a band?]
If you stand for the anthem, that means that you discount the BLM movement and therefore, by default, support police brutality. If you have an American flag near your person, do not do this as you are now a target for the grievance industry workforce. Do not, under any circumstance, have a gas grill cooking up a nice juicy steak or hamburger as the Greta Thunberg's of the PC Cancel Culture will come after you for destroying her childhood and adding the demise of our planet with your selfish modes of enjoyment.

And I am going to predict this: if you are a member of a church and your church has a cross on it that can be seen from the road, better take it down NOW. If it can be seen from the road, someone will get offended.

And I am going to predict this: remember how some football players, from both sides, at the end of the game, gather and pray? Well, that will be gone soon.

And I am going to predict this: remember the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)? Some of you were probably members of it. Well, that will be seen as exclusive and not promote inclusiveness. They will be gone and not allowed to meet on campus' soon.

Cancel culture is coming for you and grievance industry work force will want to see you destroyed.

Catbooster
June 19th, 2020, 11:56 AM
Yes, I'm confident in our staff's ability to handle this well. Choate talked about it quite a bit in a recent press conference.

There's also a fair amount of coverage on another team in this area and I think they'll do fine with handling it.

It's funny how different Chaote and Hauck are when it comes to dealing with the press. Choate made this the main topic in his initial press conference after everything happened. Bobby didn't really say much even when directly asked about it.

Catbooster
June 19th, 2020, 12:29 PM

I agree that this doesn't need to be political. ASU33 is asking how confident we are that our coaching staffs will be able to navigate some tricky situations in a tough environment. And not by just preventing any discord from reaching the public's eye, but while keeping the team a team. Not just a bunch of guys wearing the same uniform and trying to beat the other side while some of them feel like outsiders.

But you're also right that it's a topic that is almost assured of turning political. An example is the post below, which may be a good topic on the political board but has nothing to do with the OP and is hard to characterize as anything but political:

Remember when I told you all that the mascots were next? And some of you read it and said "nah, hyperbole." Well, this is just the beginning.

https://sports.yahoo.com/columnist-suggests-texas-rangers-change-name-due-to-law-enforcement-agencys-racist-past-224820387.html

...the Texas Rangers name serves no purpose other than honoring a storied law enforcement agency with a history of brutality and racist behavior (https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/steve-chapman/ct-column-texas-rangers-brutality-statue-chapman-20200617-bani5arbkfh67onjd6a6mdl36m-story.html?int=lat_digitaladshouse_bx-modal_acquisition-subscriber_ngux_display-ad-interstitial_bx-bonus-story_______).

Bison fans, your mascot will be next in line as remember, the bison were the preferred food group of the Native Americans and they were hunted and slaughtered by capitalists and white people who wanted to farm the rich soil and did not want to have those pesky bison around and people on trains, built by the evil industrialists, had their customers shoot the bison from the trains for sport. Don't laugh. Someone will bring this up eventually. Just preparing you for the next wave of protestations by the grievance industry work force and the cancel culture.

The rest of us had better start taking a look at what symbols are around your campus that does not add to racial equity and/or equality.

One comment here noted the following: [Is it OK to hug the flag? During the anthem, can you stand and pretend to direct a band?]
If you stand for the anthem, that means that you discount the BLM movement and therefore, by default, support police brutality. If you have an American flag near your person, do not do this as you are now a target for the grievance industry workforce. Do not, under any circumstance, have a gas grill cooking up a nice juicy steak or hamburger as the Greta Thunberg's of the PC Cancel Culture will come after you for destroying her childhood and adding the demise of our planet with your selfish modes of enjoyment.

And I am going to predict this: if you are a member of a church and your church has a cross on it that can be seen from the road, better take it down NOW. If it can be seen from the road, someone will get offended.

And I am going to predict this: remember how some football players, from both sides, at the end of the game, gather and pray? Well, that will be gone soon.

And I am going to predict this: remember the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)? Some of you were probably members of it. Well, that will be seen as exclusive and not promote inclusiveness. They will be gone and not allowed to meet on campus' soon.

Cancel culture is coming for you and grievance industry work force will want to see you destroyed.

JayJ79
June 19th, 2020, 07:16 PM
I, for one, value human life more than I do blind devotion to a scrap of fabric.

"but people fought and died for that flag"
no, they fought and died for the ideals that that flag is supposed to stand for: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and all that. And the whole kneeling-during-the-anthem protests are about how those ideals are being taken away

favorite football fan
June 19th, 2020, 10:05 PM
I agree that this doesn't need to be political. ASU33 is asking how confident we are that our coaching staffs will be able to navigate some tricky situations in a tough environment. And not by just preventing any discord from reaching the public's eye, but while keeping the team a team. Not just a bunch of guys wearing the same uniform and trying to beat the other side while some of them feel like outsiders.

But you're also right that it's a topic that is almost assured of turning political. An example is the post below, which may be a good topic on the political board but has nothing to do with the OP and is hard to characterize as anything but political:

I disagree. What is political (and I agree it is), it will come to roost in the world of sports and more particularly college football.

I listed three things, that while political, will make a number of people's head's spin, when it enters the realm of sports and will impact the game.
1. mascots;
2. praying at the end of game;
3. FCA

Believe it or not, these things will affect the game and how we perceive the game thus has an impact. Football simply cannot be about "they should have called a timeout when they had the ball and they lost a shot at the game winning field goal" or "NDSU does not win the title, finally" or "who is the greatest player of your school prior to the War of 1812?"

What about talking about Covid and how it impacts football? Is that a topic that should be relegated to the political board? Or maybe there should be an AGS health board in which to talk about that? Does Covid impact the game? Well, according to your logic, we had better start talking only about how MVFC is the greatest conference of all time and how NDSU is the dynasty of all time. Hmmm, what about the conference realignment? That's the politics of the game but should it be relegated to the political board? I am sure there is a lot of politics involved in conference realignment. Maybe not national politics but politics nonetheless.

And think about it, how many faculty at your favorite school are excited that there is the possibility of no football this fall? Read these and see what you think.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/Dozens-of-Football-Players/249030?cid=wcontentgrid_hp_1b

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Will-College-Athletics/248956?cid=wcontentlist_hp_5

More appropriate for the political board or here?

Catbooster
June 20th, 2020, 01:36 AM
I disagree. What is political (and I agree it is), it will come to roost in the world of sports and more particularly college football.

I listed three things, that while political, will make a number of people's head's spin, when it enters the realm of sports and will impact the game.
1. mascots;
2. praying at the end of game;
3. FCA

Believe it or not, these things will affect the game and how we perceive the game thus has an impact. Football simply cannot be about "they should have called a timeout when they had the ball and they lost a shot at the game winning field goal" or "NDSU does not win the title, finally" or "who is the greatest player of your school prior to the War of 1812?"

What about talking about Covid and how it impacts football? Is that a topic that should be relegated to the political board? Or maybe there should be an AGS health board in which to talk about that? Does Covid impact the game? Well, according to your logic, we had better start talking only about how MVFC is the greatest conference of all time and how NDSU is the dynasty of all time. Hmmm, what about the conference realignment? That's the politics of the game but should it be relegated to the political board? I am sure there is a lot of politics involved in conference realignment. Maybe not national politics but politics nonetheless.

And think about it, how many faculty at your favorite school are excited that there is the possibility of no football this fall? Read these and see what you think.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/Dozens-of-Football-Players/249030?cid=wcontentgrid_hp_1b

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Will-College-Athletics/248956?cid=wcontentlist_hp_5

IMO, the political board.

1. Is not related to the OP
2. Is (as you conceded) political

favorite football fan
June 20th, 2020, 02:20 AM
IMO, the political board.1. Is not related to the OP 2. Is (as you conceded) political

Is this considered "political"? I ask on bended knee to Thee Oh Great Big Sky Master of All Knowledge and beg to drink from from the well of your infinite wisdom and bathe in the waters of your infallibility.

https://www.boston.com/sports/coronavirus/2020/06/19/fauci-nfl-season-bubble

“Unless players are essentially in a bubble – insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day – it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall,” Fauci told the network. “If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year.”

1. this is about football and quite timely. Check.
2. not college football, but will have an impact on FCS football. Check.
3. does have to deal with football players. NFL players, but will have an impact on FCS football players as they are human and are prone to getting a virus. Check.
4. could be political. Check? better check with the God Catbooster from Montana.

Please oh great one, I wish to hear a reply from ye that presents itself as a burning bush from whence I take off my shoes as I am on Holy Ground of your immense and omnipotent glory. Am I not worthy of your infinite knowledge and power?

favorite football fan
June 20th, 2020, 02:23 AM
Yes, I'm confident in our staff's ability to handle this well. Choate talked about it quite a bit in a recent press conference.

There's also a fair amount of coverage on another team in this area and I think they'll do fine with handling it.

It's funny how different Chaote and Hauck are when it comes to dealing with the press. Choate made this the main topic in his initial press conference after everything happened. Bobby didn't really say much even when directly asked about it.

Political response. Take this response to the political board where it belongs. Has nothing to do with FCS football. I want to see more topics about football.

Bisonoline
June 20th, 2020, 02:33 AM
Political response. Take this response to the political board where it belongs. Has nothing to do with FCS football. I want to see more topics about football.

I see nothing political about his response.

caribbeanhen
June 20th, 2020, 10:19 AM
I, for one, value human life more than I do blind devotion to a scrap of fabric.

no, they fought and died for the ideals that that flag is supposed to stand for: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and all that. And the whole kneeling-during-the-anthem protests are about how those ideals are being taken away

so while were talking about flags, is your support for kneeling born under a false flag?

sure the video of Floyd was brutal to watch, but what if they showed the other 175,000 positive outcomes? or about 99.9999 % of the time

what is the kneeling going to do at this point? the point has already been made...

where will it all go from here? more kneeling going to make for positive outcomes?

I think we are all being played here and played very very well

JayJ79
June 20th, 2020, 02:11 PM
so while were talking about flags, is your support for kneeling born under a false flag?

sure the video of Floyd was brutal to watch, but what if they showed the other 175,000 positive outcomes? or about 99.9999 % of the time

what is the kneeling going to do at this point? the point has already been made...

where will it all go from here? more kneeling going to make for positive outcomes?

so you're saying you're fine with the occasional excessive police brutality?
are you also fine with the occasional plane hijacking/bombing? Why bother with security measures if 99% of all airline passengers aren't terrorists? sure, you might have the occasional 747 blown up, but as long as 99% don't blow up, that's fine, right?

Bisonoline
June 20th, 2020, 02:17 PM
are you also fine with the occasional plane hijacking/bombing? Why bother with security measures if 99% of all airline passengers aren't terrorists? sure, you might have the occasional 747 blown up, but as long as 99% don't blow up, that's fine, right?

Typical jump the couch extrapolation bull**** analogy. JFC whats the matter with you????

Nobody is fine with it. But its going to happen. Its called reality.

Bisonoline
June 20th, 2020, 02:30 PM

Now this is political.

frozennorth
June 20th, 2020, 02:53 PM

you don't get the full story when you're being recruited. Once there the easy path is to stay quiet and make it through, especially when the coach has dictatorial control over your present and future.

frozennorth
June 20th, 2020, 02:56 PM
OK, I actually went into this OANN site expecting it to be some type of ****box of right wing conservative thought, sort of what CNN, NBC, CBS, PBS and other are to the left side of the aisle.

It is actually a fairly decent site, I might have to take a deeper look at it. Here is a link to their business section. This is a pretty decent site, the articles on this site, at least in this section, are pretty solid. If this is what that guy at OSU was upset about, he needs to look in the mirror, he has bought into the propaganda about the site and I doubt he has even looked at it, just another sheeple following the PC leftist herd. Just my never humble opinion.

https://www.oann.com/category/economy/

I can't imagine what its like to think that the corporate news represents the left.

Or for that matter, how soft and insecure you have to be to get riled up about 'PC' culture, but then demanding your own PC culture be rigidly enforced.

Bisonoline
June 20th, 2020, 03:04 PM
Is this considered "political"? I ask on bended knee to Thee Oh Great Big Sky Master of All Knowledge and beg to drink from from the well of your infinite wisdom and bathe in the waters of your infallibility.

“Unless players are essentially in a bubble – insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day – it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall,” Fauci told the network. “If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year.”

3. does have to deal with football players. NFL players, but will have an impact on FCS football players as they are human and are prone to getting a virus. Check.
4. could be political. Check? better check with the God Catbooster from Montana.

Please oh great one, I wish to hear a reply from ye that presents itself as a burning bush from whence I take off my shoes as I am on Holy Ground of your immense and omnipotent glory. Am I not worthy of your infinite knowledge and power?

Just windy and non-sensecal.

JayJ79
June 20th, 2020, 04:33 PM
Typical jump the couch extrapolation bull**** analogy. JFC whats the matter with you????

But why take issue with people kneeling during the anthem?
kneeling during the anthem is like "taking a moment of silence"

caribbeanhen
June 20th, 2020, 05:19 PM

I told my wife she looked nice, and she said are you saying I look fat..... lol

I hope your not expecting perfection in Law Enforcement, if so just go to your safe space and dog the hatch

you never even tried to answer the questions I asked you, I would honestly like to hear your answers

Bisonoline
June 20th, 2020, 06:03 PM
But why take issue with people kneeling during the anthem?
kneeling during the anthem is like "taking a moment of silence"

Thats your opinion.

I will explain my position. They are grandstanding and using the anthem for there purpose. To me that is disrespectful regardless of why they are doing it.. If they want to protest then protest. But do it on your own time. Not on mine as a fan. We go to games to be entertained. Not to watch political protest.

POD Knows
June 20th, 2020, 06:15 PM
I can't imagine what its like to think that the corporate news represents the left.

Or for that matter, how soft and insecure you have to be to get riled up about 'PC' culture, but then demanding your own PC culture be rigidly enforced.
Who the **** is demanding that conservative PC thought be rigidly enforced. The only people marching out speech codes is your ****ing ilk and you are doing it violently in some cases. Now go ahead and neg rep me you freaking putz. Your idiotic reference to corporate media not being left leaning is absolutely pathetic, hell, even the hard core lefties on here acknowledge that.

veinup
June 20th, 2020, 07:12 PM

part of the hope here is that people throughout history have changed what accepted “reality” was. it was reality that we were colonists and not a sovereign nation. it was reality that women couldn’t vote and gay people could legally be discriminated against. people didn’t accept those realities, and they’re no longer real.

Bisonoline
June 20th, 2020, 07:16 PM
part of the hope here is that people throughout history have changed what accepted “reality” was. it was reality that we were colonists and not a sovereign nation. it was reality that women couldn’t vote and gay people could legally be discriminated against. people didn’t accept those realities, and they’re no longer real.

xeyebrowx

veinup
June 20th, 2020, 07:19 PM
i’m not sure why it’s hard to understand that accepted realities change constantly.

JayJ79
June 20th, 2020, 08:47 PM
Thats your opinion.

I will explain my position. They are grandstanding and using the anthem for there purpose. To me that is disrespectful regardless of why they are doing it.. If they want to protest then protest. But do it on your own time. Not on mine as a fan. We go to games to be entertained. Not to watch political protest.
you kind of miss the whole point of what a protest is.

Bisonoline
June 20th, 2020, 09:05 PM
you kind of miss the whole point of what a protest is.

Not at all. You miss the point that I dont have to approve of it and I as a fan and donor dont believe I should be paying for it with my donations.

JayJ79
June 20th, 2020, 09:47 PM
Not at all. You miss the point that I dont have to approve of it and I as a fan and donor dont believe I should be paying for it with my donations.
I don't believe I should be paying for alot of the stuff that the police (or the government in general) are doing with my taxes.

Bisonoline
June 20th, 2020, 09:50 PM
I don't believe I should be paying for alot of the stuff that the police (or the government in general) are doing with my taxes.

Another stupid analogy. One has nothing to do with the other. One is voluntary the other isnt.

So stop paying your taxes and see what happens. I can stop my donation and it will directly effect the issue I dont like.

veinup
June 20th, 2020, 10:01 PM
it’s perfectly reasonable to disagree with what the government does with our tax dollars. everyone i’ve met in my life has some opinion on it - we should pay for more war, we should pay for less war, we should pay for more food stamps and welfare, we shouldn’t pay for any more food stamps and welfare, etc.

joining the conversation more openly now is “we should pay for a more militarized police force”. vs “we should not pay for a militarized police force”.

regardless of where you fall on the issue, it’s just another one of a thousand different cultural issues that is up for debate on a day to day basis. JayJ79 doesn’t want to pay for a militarized police force. in ten years, he may not have to. depends on where things go.

JayJ79
June 20th, 2020, 10:11 PM
Another stupid analogy. One has nothing to do with the other. One is voluntary the other isnt.

So stop paying your taxes and see what happens. I can stop my donation and it will directly effect the issue I dont like.
I fully encourage you to stop your donation then, since you prefer blind patriotism to valuing human life

Bisonoline
June 20th, 2020, 10:19 PM
I fully encourage you to stop your donation then, since you prefer blind patriotism to valuing human life

My donation, My Patriotism and my valuing human life are all mutually exclusive of each other. Mature grown ups are able to do that. While the immature make unfounded statements like the one you just posted.

Catbooster
June 21st, 2020, 01:49 AM

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you or hurt your feelings. You asked if your post was more appropriate on the political board (after agreeing it was political), so I simply gave you my opinion to answer the question you asked:

~snip~

Had I realized how sensitive you were, I might have withheld my opinion, even though you asked.

dgtw
June 21st, 2020, 06:49 AM
If you face the flag during the anthem you won’t see the players who are kneeling.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 21st, 2020, 07:18 AM
If you face the flag during the anthem you won’t see the players who are kneeling.

Any other nuggets of wisdom?

dgtw
June 21st, 2020, 08:01 AM
Any other nuggets of wisdom?

I was just trying to help the snowflakes who are triggered by peaceful protest.

caribbeanhen
June 21st, 2020, 08:08 AM
it’s perfectly reasonable to disagree with what the government does with our tax dollars. everyone i’ve met in my life has some opinion on it - we should pay for more war, we should pay for less war, we should pay for more food stamps and welfare, we shouldn’t pay for any more food stamps and welfare, etc.

joining the conversation more openly now is “we should pay for a more militarized police force”. vs “we should not pay for a militarized police force”.

regardless of where you fall on the issue, it’s just another one of a thousand different cultural issues that is up for debate on a day to day basis. JayJ79 doesn’t want to pay for a militarized police force. in ten years, he may not have to. depends on where things go.

Happy Fathers Day Veninup, Hopefully your young son JJ 79 will learn to speak for himself this year xcoffeex

Smitty
June 21st, 2020, 02:45 PM
We can't trust our coaches to do well before the world fell apart. I can't imagine things have gotten any better.

No_Skill
June 21st, 2020, 05:41 PM
I wonder what people would think about 30 second paid advertisements for these protests pre-game, half time, and every other timeout. Would that be acceptable or would you let your wallet do the talking and pull donations?

Bisonoline
June 21st, 2020, 05:54 PM
I was just trying to help the snowflakes who are triggered by peaceful protest.

Again you miss the point.

penguinpower
June 21st, 2020, 07:21 PM
I see that I am sponsored for telling the truth using statistics.

walliver
June 22nd, 2020, 01:49 PM
I don't expect many issues. Our players were recruited by our coaches so they all know each other.
All of our pregame festivities (Invocation, national anthem and alma mater) are completed before either team enters the field. Frequently, the team captains will meet at mid-field before the rest of the team enters. Kneeling will not be an issue.

caribbeanhen
June 24th, 2020, 10:36 AM

just as I thought

Coquis....

UpstateBison
June 24th, 2020, 08:35 PM
I don't expect many issues. Our players were recruited by our coaches so they all know each other.
All of our pregame festivities (Invocation, national anthem and alma mater) are completed before either team enters the field. Frequently, the team captains will meet at mid-field before the rest of the team enters. Kneeling will not be an issue.

Your thoughts on the Thad Mangum tweet? Not very positive about Conklin and the Wofford Athletic department. Several head transfers this year. When I meet people downtown, not much positive about Coach Conklin. Please tell me I am wrong.