PDA

View Full Version : SNW Ranks Players - FCS Position Rankings

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM
This should help you guys put together your All-American squads...

Extra Point - FCS Position Rankings

By Matt Dougherty, FCS Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The preseason magazines are out, and the polls and All-America teams will follow shortly. Maybe summer is just getting underway, but the rabid football fans can already smell the Labor Day weekend tailgates and visits to FBS heavyweights on the horizon.

The Sports Network’s preseason player rankings offer yet another sign of the rapidly approaching season. We already looked at the quarterback position, and now take a peak at some of the best returning players at every other position in the FCS.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4084901.htm

smallcollegefbfan
June 17th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I heard he was ineligible?

4. Jamelle Juneau, McNeese State (Sr., 6-2, 215) - Juneau filled the stat sheet for the Cowboy defense with 79 tackles, four interceptions and three fumble recoveries.

813Jag
June 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM
If not for an injury and missing a year due to academics Jermaul George of Southern would be higher on the Saftey list. He had an outstanding year as a freshman in 2003. Last year he helped our secondary as a big play presence.

smallcollegefbfan
June 17th, 2007, 01:47 PM
If not for an injury and missing a year due to academics Jermaul George of Southern would be higher on the Saftey list. He had an outstanding year as a freshman in 2003. Last year he helped our secondary as a big play presence.

He is definitely worthy. I wonder what type of speed he has? I would guess 4.5.

Ronbo
June 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Montana should have had three O-Linemen listed. JD Quinn is a monster and is going to completely dominate FCS opponents at Center. The guy was a Freshman starter for Oklahoma for God's sake. He was a HS All American and had an incredible 104 pancake blocks his senior season. I attended a dozen practices last year and in drills Quinn man handles everyone. Quinn will be our best lineman.

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/roster_images/football_men/jd_quinn.jpg

813Jag
June 17th, 2007, 03:18 PM
He is definitely worthy. I wonder what type of speed he has? I would guess 4.5.
I don't know about his speed. It's his instincts that make him valueable. He has an incredible nose for the ball. He made a one handed interception against North Carolina A&T in 2003 that was like xeekx .

smallcollegefbfan
June 17th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Montana should have had three O-Linemen listed. JD Quinn is a monster and is going to completely dominate FCS opponents at Center. The guy was a Freshman starter for Oklahoma for God's sake. He was a HS All American and had an incredible 104 pancake blocks his senior season. I attended a dozen practices last year and in drills Quinn man handles everyone. Quinn will be our best lineman.

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/roster_images/football_men/jd_quinn.jpg

I can see why he was left off. It is tough to rank OL that you haven't seen and I am sure Matt had not seen him as a freshman. In fact I doubt anyone knew who he was then. It is tough to rank transfers and even tougher to rank transfer OL.

I must say I do agree with your point on him being one of the best in the FCS by the end of the season.

Ronbo
June 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM
And why did he have Bomar as the 5th best QB? If you're going to ignore transfers ignore them all.

EmeryZach
June 17th, 2007, 08:26 PM
UMass with three
Tight End #2 Brad Listori
Tackles #3 Matt Austin
Linebackers #2 Jason Hatchell

That's about right.

Eaglesrus
June 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Jayson Foster not even mentioned as kick returner? Apparently Dougherty hasn't seen a GSU game in the last three years.

smallcollegefbfan
June 18th, 2007, 12:53 AM
And why did he have Bomar as the 5th best QB? If you're going to ignore transfers ignore them all.

The only thing I can see there is that Bomar is a QB and people pay attention to highly touted QBs. His talent is known because people remembered him coming out. Quinn is an OL and who really watches a 3 or 4 star OL when you got a ton of them on the field. You should ask him why. To me it is just an OL vs. QB thing. People pay attention to QBs and not OL in general.

mikebigg
June 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM
7. Clyde Edwards, Grambling State (Sr., 5-10, 175) - Edwards has played his first three seasons in the shadow of All-American Henry Tolbert, but he’s done fine for himself with 2,247 yards and 23 touchdowns in his career and enters the 2007 season as the go-to guy for the Tigers

Actually, Clyde has always been the better of the two (in my opinion) and I expressed that on here during Clyde's soph season...in the midst of Tolbert's breakout junior season of 2005. Edwards led GSU in receptions as a true freshman, finished second as a soph (behind Tolbert), and lead us in receptions last year. Tolbert's breakout season came when Bruce Eugene (remember him, lol) came back for a record book senior season. Bruce was always partial to the "slot" receivers going all the way back to Tramon Douglas who also played the slot and went on to All-American honors. I compare Clyde to Tramon (ironically he wears Tramon's old jersey number) in terms of hands, concentration and clutch catch ability... Clyde has an edge over Tramon in terms of speed and catching the bomb. Tramon was better breaking tackles--- (sidenote: I think Tramon was the best receiver since the end of the Eddie Rob era and Clyde is closing ground in my ranking).

mikebigg
June 19th, 2007, 08:22 AM

His strong suit is his hands and range... one of the better safeties (coverage wise) to come out of our league in a lonnnnng time!

813Jag
June 19th, 2007, 08:25 AM
7. Clyde Edwards, Grambling State (Sr., 5-10, 175) - Edwards has played his first three seasons in the shadow of All-American Henry Tolbert, but he’s done fine for himself with 2,247 yards and 23 touchdowns in his career and enters the 2007 season as the go-to guy for the Tigers

Actually, Clyde has always been the better of the two (in my opinion) and I expressed that on here during Clyde's soph season...in the midst of Tolbert's breakout junior season of 2005. Edwards led GSU in receptions as a true freshman, finished second as a soph (behind Tolbert), and lead us in receptions last year. Tolbert's breakout season came when Bruce Eugene (remember him, lol) came back for a record book senior season. Bruce was always partial to the "slot" receivers going all the way back to Tramon Douglas who also played the slot and went on to All-American honors. I compare Clyde to Tramon (ironically he wears Tramon's old jersey number) in terms of hands, concentration and clutch catch ability... Clyde has an edge over Tramon in terms of speed and catching the bomb. Tramon was better breaking tackles--- (sidenote: I think Tramon was the best receiver since the end of the Eddie Rob era and Clyde is closing ground in my ranking).
I agree with you on Edwards. Whatever happened to Levi Washington?

mikebigg
June 19th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Man looking at that dude's neck (or is that someone's thigh that's been transplanted) tells me that he's been moving some iron around in the weight room. He definitely looks the part and I bet he's a load to handle.

mikebigg
June 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I agree with you on Edwards. Whatever happened to Levi Washington?

Levi's coaching high school football... Levi was undersized and didn't have great speed. But he was a gutsy azz player who (before Tramon) played the slot position like he owned it. His dad is a longtime high school coach and made the SWAC HOF as a former baseball player at Grambling (where he also played football). Levi Jr is a constant presence at GSU home games cheering the guys on vigorously ( I love to see former players come back and be so supportive of the guys now playing)

Mr. C
June 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Welcome back, Mike Bigg. We have missed your astute comments.

I agree that Quinn looks like one tough Hog for the Montana front.

813Jag
June 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Levi's coaching high school football... Levi was undersized and didn't have great speed. But he was a gutsy azz player who (before Tramon) played the slot position like he owned it. His dad is a longtime high school coach and made the SWAC HOF as a former baseball player at Grambling (where he also played football). Levi Jr is a constant presence at GSU home games cheering the guys on vigorously ( I love to see former players come back and be so supportive of the guys now playing)
Seemed like he came out of nowhere to torch Southern in the classic. Glad to hear he's doing well. xthumbsupx

mikebigg
June 19th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Welcome back, Mike Bigg. We have missed your astute comments. I agree that Quinn looks like one tough Hog for the Montana front.

Glad to be back... finally got internet access here at work. Will frequent this site more often.

GeeWiz
June 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
My man Mo Murray is listed as one of the 10 best RB's in the FCS! xnodx

It also happens to be Matt Dougherty's last column! :(

Best of luck Matt in your new endevor. xthumbsupx

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

FlyYtown
June 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Use the search function and you will see that this thread was posted a few days back.

Leopard Man
June 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Im glad matt is leaving,hes to friendly with the Lehigh(Chickenhawks) people.

Mr. C
June 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Some people actually like Leopards and those Engineering Mountain Hawks (to borrow an Otto Fad line) both, as hard as it is for people up in the Bethleham and Easton area to understand. FCS is at its best when both Lafayette and Lehigh are at their best.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
ECB

gmoney55
June 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Take another look Bison. Nearly half of the players (40 of the 88) are from the Big Sky, Southland, Great West and Gateway, the four most Western based conferences. WCB!!!

already123
June 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
GOOD TO SEE A FEW LUMBERJACKS ON THERE !!!