PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You See Your School Going...

DFW HOYA
June 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM
...in the next five years? Or ten?

Today's high school prospects are asking that question, but I wonder how many schools do. Long range planning is essential in higher education, but it seems few schools ever make it happen.

Obviously, no one at St. Peter's, coming off an 10-1 season, sat around and devised a plan to run its program into the ground within six years, but they certainly didn't plan for the future. Then again, to its credit, Lafayette stared at the spectre of Division III and opted to turn it around.

So where is your respective I-AA/FCS school realistically headed by, say, 2012? No changes? More or fewer scholarships? A new stadium? A different conference? A toe in the I-A pool on one extreme, or pulling the next St. Peter's on the other?

catbob
June 16th, 2007, 02:54 PM
MSU is working to build (I'm guessing on the order through rumors)

New press boxes over the student side.
Indoor practice facility.
Sprintturf.
Stadium Expansion.

I would say within the next 10-20, if we keep winning and gaining local support, that this could be accomplish. The reason the skyboxes are first is because there is supposedly a line to get into the current ones, and they hope they would pay for themselves, and eventually help fund the other items on the list.

We have been hearing that we are in the campaign phase right now, but no one really knows for sure what is going on.

Seawolf97
June 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM
From the outside looking in Stonybrook will be a full scholarship program in 2008 playing in the Big South Conference. Unofficially they will play Rutgers in 2010 and the University of South Florida in 2011 as a counter team- this has yet to be announced. I think football is here to stay at Stonybrook for quite sometime.
Campus wise there are nearly 22,000 students enrolled. They have four campus'es the main one at Stonybrook NY, a College of Marine Science just opening in September 2007 at Southhampton NY, a commuter campus in Manhattan for the working folks and the Brookhaven Nuclear Labs at Brookhaven NY. Add to that the Medical School and the University Hospital -I think any incoming freshman has alot to chose from.

Ivytalk
June 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Sad to say, I don't see the Ivies voting to join the playoffs in the next 5-10 years.xsmhx xbawlingx

Seawolf97
June 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Thats a shame. Alot of good football is played in the IVY and several players a year usually wind up on an NFL roster. So they could be very competitve in play off games.

katstrapper
June 16th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Sam Houston St continues on the way up. It is one of the fastest growing universities in the State of Texas, our athletic programs are all on the rise. The athletic department as a whole is strong. SHSU just won its 3rd straight Southland Conference Commissioners Cup for best overall athletic program and also 3rd straight year it leads the Conference in Academic Honor Roll for Student Athletes. SHSU is definitely on the move.

UAalum72
June 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Albany has just posted to its web site a summary of the Athletics Master Plan - Project 2010 http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/3875.pdf although parts of it have been known or rumored for a couple of years now.

slostang
June 16th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Cal Poly just completed a $21.5 million renovation to the east side of the stadium taking the cap. to 11,750 with plans to expand to 22,000 by installing new stands on the west side and in both endzones. There are also plans to install SprinTurf and new video score board. Funding and demand will determine how fast it is completed.

dbackjon
June 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
For NAU - probably just like today - in the Big Sky, playing in the Skydome.

ATrain
June 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Before Jerry Falwell died, he mentioned Liberty going I-A (now FBS) in 10 years. So I guess that is where our program is headed...

Eyes of Old Main
June 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM
In 5-10 years, I think the following will exist at Wofford:

1) A full compliment (or very near it) of scholarships.
2) Facilities should be similar to present, withthe small possibility of a new weight room.
3) Probably nearing the end of Coach Ayers tenure.
4) Attendance and participation will hopefully be a bit stronger.
5) Still in the SoCon with no plans to move.
6) Competitively, probably fairly similar to today, consistent winning seasons, but not a perennial playoff team.

slycat
June 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
a push by a small group of fans for moving to FBS. then money is spent again to determine we will not move up. people will complain and call for the ADs head. maybe they will realize we need more winning at the FCS level before its time to move up.

meanwhile our football team continues to improve and win in the slc. i dont see us having the losing streak we were know for to happen again.

outside chance that we will have 2-3 new coachs in this time since we go through them like water.

813Jag
June 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I see Southern staying FCS for a while. I don't forsee a move to FBS anytime soon. My main hope to see an improvement in the schedule (this year is an improvement and next year against U. of Houston) and the start/completion of the field house and seat expansion at Mumford. Hopefully those 2 things can help with recruiting, because you really need facilities now. I see Southern making improvements on campus, hopefully the alumni (me included) will donate more to help the university.

GOKATS
June 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
MSU is working to build (I'm guessing on the order through rumors)

New press boxes over the student side.
Indoor practice facility.
Sprintturf.
Stadium Expansion.

I would say within the next 10-20, if we keep winning and gaining local support, that this could be accomplish. The reason the skyboxes are first is because there is supposedly a line to get into the current ones, and they hope they would pay for themselves, and eventually help fund the other items on the list.

We have been hearing that we are in the campaign phase right now, but no one really knows for sure what is going on.

Just a point of clarification- I think you meant new sky suites over the student side. There are great press facilities above the existing 38 sky suites on the 'booster' side- the idea is to build an additional 38 sky suites, which are pretty much already pre-sold, so a guaranteed revenue source.

The Board of Regents has already given approval for construction of the sky suites and I think the administration is just working on the best funding mechanism- I expect they'll be done by the '08 season. The indoor practice facility will be privately funded and sounds like it's going good- I don't think it's too far down the road.

Due to the recent firing of Kramer & questions about the AD' s future, things could change timing wise.

ncbears
June 16th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I see UNC as a mainstay in FCS playoffs. They'll be in the playoffs almost every year. We've got too much of a nice recruiting state to let it go to waste.

Grizalltheway
June 16th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Montana is...well, Montana. I sure hope we don't move up to FBS anytime soon, at least until they get a playoff system *pigs flying*
As far as the stadium goes, I think we're adding 3-4K seats (?) to the east side.

Pard4Life
June 16th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Well... you exepct me to say Lafayette is going to kick butt, be a top program, get a playoff game etc. with the new $20million facility.. but...

..I am not sure where we will be. It all depends on the Patriot League composition and whether or not the PL decides to award football scholarships. This will hold the key to the fate of our league, and Lafayette.

If the PL get schollies, Lafayette will be the class of the leauge, but not win enough of games to host a playoff game because we can't be the Ivies! It is no secret that Tavani wants a majority of them of the OOC schedule, and I agree to an extent. However, I see us winning a playoff game or two with the schollies. We will never be undefeated. And Tavani runs through 2014. He will be old by that point, but we should not have a problem attracting a high-caliber coach.

IF we don't get scholarships, we will continue to struggle in the present recruiting environment. We will win the league, but be lucky to win a playoff game and go 8-3, 9-2 etc vs. the Ivy teams and OOC.

JALMOND
June 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM
The next five years will be interesting at Portland State. Glanville and Davis both have brought a level of excitement for Viking athletics (not just Viking football) that the administration is trying to capitalize on. A new coach, new AD, new president, time will tell where we are going. Good things happen, the years could be even better than they were under Walsh. If bad things happen, Glanville leaves for "better" opportunities, dissention enters, we could be falling behind.

Everyone involved has great expectations for PSU athletics in the coming years. We'll see how they pan out.

Kill'em
June 16th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I feel within 5 years we will announce a move to the BS.

katstrapper
June 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
In the last few years, SHSU has made many improvements to our facilities....

1. New Suites on pressbox side at football stadium.
2. New Baseball/Softball Complex
3. New Strength & Conditioning Building
4. New Scoreboards for Johnson Colesium and Bowers Stadium.
5. New RealGrass playing surface currently be installed
6. New Goal Posts
7. Locker Rooms renovated.

More upgrades are anticipated in the future. I look for SHSU to stay in FCS. Really no reason for us to move up. Our future is bright!

Grizalltheway
June 16th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Well... you exepct me to say Lafayette is going to kick butt, be a top program, get a playoff game etc. with the new $20million facility.. but...

..I am not sure where we will be. It all depends on the Patriot League composition and whether or not the PL decides to award football scholarships. This will hold the key to the fate of our league, and Lafayette.

If the PL get schollies, Lafayette will be the class of the leauge, but not win enough of games to host a playoff game because we can't be the Ivies! It is no secret that Tavani wants a majority of them of the OOC schedule, and I agree to an extent. However, I see us winning a playoff game or two with the schollies. We will never be undefeated. And Tavani runs through 2014. He will be old by that point, but we should not have a problem attracting a high-caliber coach.

IF we don't get scholarships, we will continue to struggle in the present recruiting environment. We will win the league, but be lucky to win a playoff game and go 8-3, 9-2 etc vs. the Ivy teams and OOC.

I'm a little ignorant when it comes to east coast football. :o Why is it that the PL doesn't award scholies?

Ronbo
June 16th, 2007, 09:19 PM
In 10 years I forsee the Griz being the only non FBS school in the nation with a 35,000 seat sold out stadium week in and week out and still afraid to go play with the big dogs.xoopsx In fact the way the administration talks, if there was a big shake up in divisions we would be more likely to move down than up.

Grizalltheway
June 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
In 10 years I forsee the Griz being the only non FBS school in the nation with a 35,000 seat sold out stadium week in and week out and still afraid to go play with the big dogs.xoopsx In fact the way the administration talks, if there was a big shake up in divisions we would be more likely to move down than up.

Do you really want us to end up like Idaho? There's always the chance we could be the next Boise State, but I think Idaho would be more likely at this point. Plus, playoff football is just too exciting to give up.

slostang
June 16th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Do you really want us to end up like Idaho? There's always the chance we could be the next Boise State, but I think Idaho would be more likely at this point. Plus, playoff football is just too exciting to give up.

I agree. I hope Montana stays in the FCS.

DFW HOYA
June 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I'm a little ignorant when it comes to east coast football. :o Why is it that the PL doesn't award scholies?

The PL was formed along the lines of the Ivy Group Agreement, to provide financial assistance for athletes solely based on need. However, the PL packages its need more favorably for athletes (e.g., a grant instead of a loan) which the Ivies and Pioneer do not do.

However, it is not technically an athletic scholarship because the aid itself is not based on athletic ability, only the choice of aid.

Ronbo
June 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah and how big do we get? It'll be pretty funny to see the Griz averaging 40,000-50,000 fans a game in 20 years and still playing in a Conference that averages under 10,000 a game.

Grizalltheway
June 16th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah and how big do we get? It'll be pretty funny to see the Griz averaging 40,000-50,000 fans a game in 20 years and still playing in a Conference that averages under 10,000 a game.

I never said we shouldn't move eventually, just not in the near future. Who knows what the situation will be two decades down the road?

Grizalltheway
June 16th, 2007, 09:43 PM
The PL was formed along the lines of the Ivy Group Agreement, to provide financial assistance for athletes solely based on need. However, the PL packages its need more favorably for athletes (e.g., a grant instead of a loan) which the Ivies and Pioneer do not do.

However, it is not technically an athletic scholarship because the aid itself is not based on athletic ability, only the choice of aid.

Thanks for the info, if the PL gets schollies and the Ivies can get in the playoffs, FCS will be even more exciting. xnodx

bobbythekidd
June 16th, 2007, 09:45 PM

I don't agree with kill'em's comments and I am pretty sure I am right on that.

We will get back to business of winning and success will again not be measured by our record but by how far into the playoffs we get.

This moving up talk is worthless until LOTS of thing change. Unlike Kell'em, I don't see it happening in the next 5 years.

Gil Dobie
June 16th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Next 5-10, I see NDSU being very competitive in the Gateway, with a few nice playoff runs. Attendence will start selling out every game within 5 years. Talk of a new stadium or expansion to the Fargodome in 10 years.

Big Ten invitation in 20 ;) xlolx

ngineer
June 16th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the info, if the PL gets schollies and the Ivies can get in the playoffs, FCS will be even more exciting. xnodx

No question about that--however the PL going scholarship, if at all, would still be several years away. The Ivies will not be in the playoffs IMO for the forseeable future. Their Presidential Peckerheads have their head up..well you know where.

ngineer
June 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I see Lehigh continuing to challenge for the PL for the forseeable future. Coen is showing himself to be an effective recruiter. He's a solid person and well liked by the players and the school administration. So the foundation for continued success is there. The PL should try and expand, but the list of potential suitors is limited. Assuming the second tier of the league can continue to improve, there may be more parity.

DFW HOYA
June 16th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I see Lehigh continuing to challenge for the PL for the forseeable future...Assuming the second tier of the league can continue to improve, there may be more parity.

I ask this only half-seriously, but it seems to be a trend in PL discussions on the board that the two halves of the league are growing increasingly unlikely to move up and down the standings, that is, LU or LC will never trade places with Georgetown and Fordham. Thoughts?

Kill'em
June 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I don't agree with kill'em's comments and I am pretty sure I am right on that.

We will get back to business of winning and success will again not be measured by our record but by how far into the playoffs we get.

This moving up talk is worthless until LOTS of thing change. Unlike Kell'em, I don't see it happening in the next 5 years.

I think the momentum the BS movement is gaining will be too hard to ignore. Personally, I like where we are but I can't stop change.

bobbythekidd
June 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM
The momentum you refer to is the largest in school history. From what I hear from those on the inside, you have just seen the tip of the iceberg, wait till fall! The Admin will be forced to address it. I also hear from those that make decisions there will be a "put up or shut up" type announcement.

You know our fanbase makes a lot of noise but, when you are stuck at 3000 boosters for 10 years and no gains, there won't be enough on the "put up" side.

We offer FREE Booster memberships to grads for 2 years, and our grads have been turning them down. Less than 20% enrollment in the new grad program tells me something.

MplsBison
June 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM
That's how it was when NDSU was DII.

Everything was status quo with no growth in donations or alumni support.

The move to DI itself was the catalyst for the amazing growth we've seen the past few years.

If GSU decides to move up, I suspect something similar. IE, growth after the decision.

MplsBison
June 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM
No question about that--however the PL going scholarship, if at all, would still be several years away.

What if Colgate, Lehigh, and Lafayette decides "we want 63 scholarship in football! What are you going to do about it PL?!".

Something would have to budge.

FlyYtown
June 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Youngstown State will likely remain in the FCS over the next 10 years. In those 10 years though; if we win more than 1 FCS title and can make the NCAA tournament in Basketball/Baseball/Softball; I think those in the MAC will look deeper into inviting Youngstown State to the MAC.

You can't continue to say NO to YSU when they have a huge fanbase and a stadium with FBS quality loges and press boxes; which all 30+ are sold out each and every year.

With more championships you will see attendance rise to over 20,000 a game and with that; you may see the PHASE II of Stambaugh be completed. With a bowling the north endzone and expanding the east stands in size by two fold. That will increase capacity to 26-28,000.

----BUT THAT IS WHAT WE THOUGHT BACK IN 1997; AND WE STILL FEEL THAT WAY TODAY!!!! YSU NEEDS TO JOIN THE MAC!!!----

DFW HOYA
June 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM
What if Colgate, Lehigh, and Lafayette decides "we want 63 scholarship in football! What are you going to do about it PL?!". Something would have to budge.

That's a circular question, because they are the PL. It's like the old days of the ACC--the "Big Four" North Carolina schools dictated policy. In the PL, everything goes through the Lehigh Valley.

If those three wanted 63 scholarships (and, for argument purposes, Fordham) they would probably get it, provided the 63 was a celiling and not a floor. If 63 was the only option, however, the autobid would be at risk if the other three schools were not on board--hence, the dilemma.

JoltinJoe
June 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Fordham recently announced a 10-year strategic plan through 2016.

The plan included improving the national profile of the men's basketball program and includes the construction of a new arena facility.

Football is essentially status quo -- continued participation in the PL and maximumn funding at that level. Fordham supports scholarship football and will go to full rides if the PL does so. But it will not be the leader on this issue.

Fordham recently completed a $5 M upgrade to its football field and pratice fields. It intends to more effectively market its football history in the effort to be an annual contender for the PL title.

TheBisonator
June 17th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Here's a list of what I see happening to NDSU football 10 years from now (In the year 2017):

1) Field Turf replacing the old-style concrete carpet

2) Green and dark yellow seating replacing the blue and red seats

3) New renovated press box/skybox setup where the current press box is with 16 extra suites, increasing the total to 34

4) A new deck seating 5,000 extra seats will be built over the current East Grandstand, by using a construction method involving tearing out the east roof slope and making the roof flat and building structure on top and flush with the current east side lobby. Fargodome capacity will be around 24,000

5) Average attendance will be near-sellout levels, averaging 22,000 to 23,000 or so. Half the home games will already be sellouts with the new expansion. The smallest crowds we will see will be no smaller than 20,000. The new deck will just be completed to warrant future growth in attendance. All games will be 24,000+ sellouts by 2019-2020. NDSU football will further strengthen itself as the most popular sports team in the Dakotas

6) NDSU will be holders of two FCS National Championships - One for the 2009 season and another in 2014

7) Coach Bohl will by this time be gone to coach at a school like Iowa State or Missouri. Our coach at this time will be a former offensive or defensive coordinator from a school like Wisconsin or Penn State (A good Big 10 school, in other words)

8) We will still be very competitive in the Gateway, coming off a 9-3 regular season record for 2016 (schedules will be 12 games) and a trip to the National Semifinals from the previous year, but losing to Appalachian State

9) There will be a HUGE push by alumni and students for NDSU to go to the FBS, under the condition that we get acccepted into either the Mountain West or the WAC (No Sun Belt or MAC option)

10) We will have won 4 Gateway Football Conference championships

11) We will have won four more games against the FBS - Wyoming (twice - They would then refuse to play us), Central Michigan (This year) and Akron (sometime in the 2010's)

That's all I have for now.

Ronbo
June 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Here's a list of what I see happening to NDSU football 10 years from now (In the year 2017):

3) New renovated press box/skybox setup where the current press box is with 16 extra suites, increasing the total to 34

4) A new deck seating 5,000 extra seats will be built over the current East Grandstand, by using a construction method involving tearing out the east roof slope and making the roof flat and building structure on top and flush with the current east side lobby. Fargodome capacity will be around 24,000

5) Average attendance will be near-sellout levels, averaging 22,000 to 23,000 or so. Half the home games will already be sellouts with the new expansion. The smallest crowds we will see will be no smaller than 20,000. The new deck will just be completed to warrant future growth in attendance. All games will be 24,000+ sellouts by 2019-2020. NDSU football will further strengthen itself as the most popular sports team in the Dakotas

6) NDSU will be holders of two FCS National Championships - One for the 2009 season and another in 2014

7) Coach Bohl will by this time be gone to coach at a school like Iowa State or Missouri. Our coach at this time will be a former offensive or defensive coordinator from a school like Wisconsin or Penn State (A good Big 10 school, in other words)

8) We will still be very competitive in the Gateway, coming off a 9-3 regular season record for 2016 (schedules will be 12 games) and a trip to the National Semifinals from the previous year, but losing to Appalachian State

9) There will be a HUGE push by alumni and students for NDSU to go to the FBS, under the condition that we get acccepted into either the Mountain West or the WAC (No Sun Belt or MAC option)

11) We will have won four more games against the FBS - Wyoming (twice - They would then refuse to play us), Central Michigan (This year) and Akron (sometime in the 2010's)

What happened did the crystal ball blow a fuse?

The Gadfly
June 17th, 2007, 07:02 PM
A new field house xbawlingx

A new arena xbawlingx

10,000+ enrolled xnodx

A stronger Big South xrolleyesx

Actually following through & winning a national championship in a sport xthumbsupx

MplsBison
June 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM

It'd be interesting to see how much something like this would cost to do it right.

The dome itself was 50 million back in 1991. If these upgrades themselves were 50 million I don't see the point of doing them. Might as well go big and build a new stadium at that point.

Ronbo
June 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
According to our AD present costs are $1500 a seat for stadium construction. That doesn't count land. A 26,000 seat facility would cost $39,000,000 at $1500 a seat. Plus land costs.

danefan
June 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Albany has just posted to its web site a summary of the Athletics Master Plan - Project 2010 http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/3875.pdf although parts of it have been known or rumored for a couple of years now.

I think Albany will be at 63 schollys 2012, playing in a league with the other FCS northeastern full schollys (Maine, URI, UNH, etc....).

By that point we should have a 10,000 seat stadium and we should be averaging just under capacity crowds, with discussion on when to expand to 15,000.

Unfortunately I see us with a new head coach by then, because Coach Ford is getting older and by 2012 he will have been at UA for 42 years and I just don't see that happening.

I think we will have an outside shot at contending for an FCS championship by that point but we definitely should be on the national radar as a consistent top 10 team. Overly optimistic? Maybe, but its a great time to be Dane!

X-Factor
June 17th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Nice

But, if your only going to have two, you might consider changing our NC run to 2008. It is probably a little more probable than '09 in my opinion as we have a TON of junior starters on the team that will be graduating.

How about SpinTurf?

I really think FBS is going to be the next step up, but probably not within the 5-10 years we are talking about.

Go...gate
June 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
That's a circular question, because they are the PL. It's like the old days of the ACC--the "Big Four" North Carolina schools dictated policy. In the PL, everything goes through the Lehigh Valley.

If those three wanted 63 scholarships (and, for argument purposes, Fordham) they would probably get it, provided the 63 was a celiling and not a floor. If 63 was the only option, however, the autobid would be at risk if the other three schools were not on board--hence, the dilemma.

Make that the Lehigh and Chenango valleys.

As to long-term, Colgate is committed to FCS football and the success of the Patriot League.

TheBisonator
June 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Nice

But, if your only going to have two, you might consider changing our NC run to 2008. It is probably a little more probable than '09 in my opinion as we have a TON of junior starters on the team that will be graduating.

How about SpinTurf?

I really think FBS is going to be the next step up, but probably not within the 5-10 years we are talking about.

I could have just as easily said 2008 I suppose, but 2009 I think is also a good possibility. Either way, we'll be immediately contending for the championship right out of the gate.

GeeWiz
June 17th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Huh.

I hope that NU still has a program by the next 5-10 years. xeekx

Seriously. If we don't get a stadium done the program could be in trouble. And I don't think we can cut through the poilitical red tape to get the land approved to build one.

I hope I'm wrong.

ncbears
June 17th, 2007, 10:30 PM
9) There will be a HUGE push by alumni and students for NDSU to go to the FBS, under the condition that we get acccepted into either the Mountain West or the WAC (No Sun Belt or MAC option).

You don't fit geographically in either the WAC or the Mountain West.

Fresno St. Alum
June 18th, 2007, 04:29 AM
If the WAC lost 3 members to the MWC they would take NDSU. There's a team from Louisana and Hawaii in the conference already. NDSU is closer then both of them to most of the conference.

813Jag
June 18th, 2007, 06:54 AM
If the WAC lost 3 members to the MWC they would take NDSU. There's a team from Louisana and Hawaii in the conference already. NDSU is closer then both of them to most of the conference.
I don't know why LaTech is still in the WAC. xconfusedx

Cocky
June 18th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Playing BS football.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
According to our AD present costs are $1500 a seat for stadium construction. That doesn't count land. A 26,000 seat facility would cost $39,000,000 at $1500 a seat. Plus land costs.

Central Florida just built a 40k seat stadium for 50 million.

Minnesota is building a 50k seat stadium for 250 million.

I guess it depends.

Ronbo
June 18th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Probably land costs had a lot to do with the difference there plus ten thousand more seats.

I'll bet Minnesota had to buy some pretty expensive land close to the campus. Possibly Central Florida already owned the land they used. Also construction costs vary from area to area. Average workers in Minnesota make more than in Florida. Construction costs in Montana and North Dakota are probably similar.

Ronbo
June 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Here's Montana in 10 years. And still playing FCS football.xlolx
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/366355933_266f57619e_b.jpg

g-webb1994
June 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
With all our teams being full-fledged Big South members, I would hope that the Big South would realize how important stability is, and that getting the automatic bid to the playoffs should be of importance.

Sometimes I wonder if being an independent would be a better thing, you wouldn't be tied down with a conference schedule, and if you don't get an auto bid anyway, wouldn't you want a stronger schedule to try and get an at-large bid?

As for G-Webb proper, I would expect a new baseball stadium shortly, then followed by an overhaul of Paul Porter Arena, a good building, but needs some renovation, no need for a completely new one. The only thing that could happen with Spangler Stadium is adding some seating on the visitor's (East) side of the field....

Gil Dobie
June 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Probably land costs had a lot to do with the difference there plus ten thousand more seats.

I'll bet Minnesota had to buy some pretty expensive land close to the campus. Possibly Central Florida already owned the land they used. Also construction costs vary from area to area. Average workers in Minnesota make more than in Florida. Construction costs in Montana and North Dakota are probably similar.

Minnesota's stadium is going to be on-campus, so I'm not sure there were any land cost. But they are building a premium fan friendly stadium. Here is a link from earlier this year.
TCF Stadium Link (http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Stories/Regents_approve_stadium_design.html)

Ronbo
June 18th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Well if Minnesota is anything like Montana the University charged the Athletic Department for the land. Or possibly they included land value in the costs. They could do that for overall value estimates. Otherwise why would Minnesota costs be $5000 a seat, Montana is $1500 a seat, and Florida is $1250 a seat. Even if you put in all individual seats, and gold plated bathrooms you couldn't get that kind of difference.

89Hen
June 18th, 2007, 10:45 AM
A new field house xbawlingx

A new arena xbawlingx
I thought you have a brand new one? xconfusedx

spelunker64
June 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM
In Fargo still...

andy7171
June 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Towson has a new president who is throwing a ton of money into upgrading the athletic department. He wants to get the student enrollment up to 22-25,000 range. He is really doing a good job promoting the athloetic department in the Baltimore area. Hopefully, the sports teams will be able to take advantage of the potential recruiting advantages. Although its hard to keep local students in town for college.

Montanan
June 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Well if Minnesota is anything like Montana the University charged the Athletic Department for the land. Or possibly they included land value in the costs. They could do that for overall value estimates. Otherwise why would Minnesota costs be $5000 a seat, Montana is $1500 a seat, and Florida is $1250 a seat. Even if you put in all individual seats, and gold plated bathrooms you couldn't get that kind of difference.

Wasn't the $1500 a seat quote based on using construction steel rather than the more expensive precast concrete?

Tealblood
June 18th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I thought you have a brand new one? xconfusedx

Not yet fieldhouse could begin in the next 8-12 months :D

Arena who knowsxconfusedx

LBPop
June 18th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Fordham recently completed a $5 M upgrade to its football field and pratice fields. It intends to more effectively market its football history in the effort to be an annual contender for the PL title.

Oh how I would love to be able to type those words and simply insert "Georgetown" instead of "Fordham". xprayx

89Hen
June 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Not yet fieldhouse could begin in the next 8-12 months :D

Arena who knowsxconfusedx
I coulda sworn somebody posted pics of a new arena at CCU. xconfusedx

already123
June 18th, 2007, 12:44 PM
NAU will be getting new uni's and turf in the next couple of years. The Dome is getting repainted and slightly renovated. Modest upgrades, but improvements none the least...

already123
June 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I see UNC as a mainstay in FCS playoffs. They'll be in the playoffs almost every year. We've got too much of a nice recruiting state to let it go to waste.

Ummmmmm...not likely xcoffeex

Gil Dobie
June 18th, 2007, 01:22 PM

From the link above, plus the cost includes infrastructure changes and site prep.

Proposed premium amenities will include 36 suites, 59 loge boxes (outdoor, rail-enclosed, small group seating areas), 300 indoor club seats, 1,000 outdoor club seats, and a large indoor club.

The stadium will provide a new home for the marching band and a feature to honor Minnesota veterans.

The facility will have home and visitor game-day locker and training rooms; provisions for print and broadcast media; and provisions for concessions, catering, and sales of collegiate apparel and merchandise.

AZGrizFan
June 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM
For NAU - probably just like today - in the Big Sky, playing in the Skydome.

And routinely losing to the Griz. :D :D :D :D

edit: good lord, I just looked at the record....Griz have won 18 of the past 19 games against NAU. Despite our recent domination even I didn't think it was THAT bad!!! xeekx xeekx xeekx

Ronbo
June 18th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Montana has 48 luxury suites, we have a club level being built next summer that will have 250 seats, we're adding a second deck to bring the capacity to around 26,000, we have catering, we have logo gear stores on both sides, we have the largest video screen in FCS and sprint turf. We could rebuild it all today for less than $50,000,000.

$250,000,000? It will be really nice but there has to be some palms being greased to get costs that high.

GeauxLions94
June 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Central Florida just built a 40k seat stadium for 50 million.

Minnesota is building a 50k seat stadium for 250 million.

I guess it depends.

The difference is in cup holders :p

PantherRob82
June 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Sad to say, I don't see the Ivies voting to join the playoffs in the next 5-10 years.xsmhx xbawlingx

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

PantherRob82
June 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM

very optimistic

The Sheriff
June 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Minnesota's stadium is going to be on-campus, so I'm not sure there were any land cost. But they are building a premium fan friendly stadium. Here is a link from earlier this year.
TCF Stadium Link (http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Stories/Regents_approve_stadium_design.html)

Minnesota's construction will also be set up in case they would like to consider a 20-30K seat expansion in the future. One end is going to be left open (I believe with the view of downtown Mpls) where they could possibly expand in the future.

PantherRob82
June 18th, 2007, 06:53 PM

really? xconfusedx

PantherRob82
June 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM

4 out of 9 is a lot to assume in the Gateway. :D

fuEMO
June 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
In the next 5 years Furman will announce a major fund-raising campaign for Paladin Stadium. Things to look for, I'm guessing here;

• New Field House
• Jumbotron Scoreboard, live video capabilities
• Luxury Boxes
• Cosmetic Upgrades to exterior of Home stands
• Finishing of the General Admission stands, upgrading some of these seats with backrests
• Additional seating is a possibility, maybe up to 20,000 seats

Positive things to allow this to happen;

• Greenville is a booming city moving up to a progressive mid-major city, with lots of families looking for things to do.
• Dr. Shi is leading Furman in a direction that is attracting students, this will benefit all the Furman athletic teams

Proud Griz Man
June 18th, 2007, 09:32 PM

If UM moves up, how much more will you donate annually? The previous AD estimated UM needs > $1 million annually to move up and comply with title 9.
xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Kill'em
June 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM
In the next 5 years Furman will announce a major fund-raising campaign for Paladin Stadium. Things to look for, I'm guessing here;

• New Field House
• Jumbotron Scoreboard, live video capabilities
• Luxury Boxes
• Cosmetic Upgrades to exterior of Home stands
• Finishing of the General Admission stands, upgrading some of these seats with backrests
• Additional seating is a possibility, maybe up to 20,000 seats

Positive things to allow this to happen;

• Greenville is a booming city moving up to a progressive mid-major city, with lots of families looking for things to do.
• Dr. Shi is leading Furman in a direction that is attracting students, this will benefit all the Furman athletic teams

I was surprised to see just how big Greenville is.

MplsBison
June 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm sure most of Greenville has their hearts in Clemson.

JDC325
June 20th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Is our AD retiring or something? Until that happens hang that notion up. Besides has he ever put out any tangible plans for this program much less past ONE year! Us minions dont even hardly hear about or see renderings of facility enhancements until the foundation is starting to be laid.

ncbears
June 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Ummmmmm...not likely xcoffeex

Why wouldn't we?

GoBears
June 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Why wouldn't we?

Need a change of leadership before any of that happens. A $1 million+ deficit isn't a good start.

ncbears
June 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Need a change of leadership before any of that happens. A $1 million+ deficit isn't a good start.

The leadership is fine. And it's not a $1 million deficit.

GoBears
June 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
The leadership is fine. And it's not a $1 million deficit.

Wasn't referring to the coaching leadership. And you might want to ask about updated figures.

RabidRabbit
June 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Will be a solid team, challenging, and making the post-season about 1/4 of the years out of a tough as nails Gateway. Play a regional BCS or FBS team 1X/year. Going to be tough to get more than 5 home games per season, unless don't play a $$ game up.

Montana will have played at Brookings, or no Montana game played.

Coughlin Alumni Stadium gets upgraded with a north end zone stands, locker rooms and workout area. Then, another 5 years, and we build the east stands (visitors side) bringing our capacity into to 20-22K range from the current 16K.

In other sports, specifically basketball, most years, we'll be in the top half of the Summit league, and working to break Oral Roberts strangle-hold on baseball.

We will continue our friendly, intense, rivalry with NDSU, and, toward the end of the period, welcome back USD and UND games. These teams formed the backbone of the NCC, and I foresee them in the same conference once USD/UND are through probation. If no one has left Summit conference, then USD/UND would be near constant OOC games, especially outside football.

ncbears
June 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Wasn't referring to the coaching leadership. And you might want to ask about updated figures.

I know you were refering to the president and AD. Both are doing their best. Hinrich corrected his biggest mistake and has brought back the Blue and Gold Club. Kay Norton has been solid turing her tenure. What's your beef with them?

SuperJon
June 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I coulda sworn somebody posted pics of a new arena at CCU. xconfusedx

Posted pictures of what the mock up of it was supposed to look like.

TheBisonator
June 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Will be a solid team, challenging, and making the post-season about 1/4 of the years out of a tough as nails Gateway. Play a regional BCS or FBS team 1X/year. Going to be tough to get more than 5 home games per season, unless don't play a $$ game up.

Montana will have played at Brookings, or no Montana game played.

Coughlin Alumni Stadium gets upgraded with a north end zone stands, locker rooms and workout area. Then, another 5 years, and we build the east stands (visitors side) bringing our capacity into to 20-22K range from the current 16K.

In other sports, specifically basketball, most years, we'll be in the top half of the Summit league, and working to break Oral Roberts strangle-hold on baseball.

We will continue our friendly, intense, rivalry with NDSU, and, toward the end of the period, welcome back USD and UND games. These teams formed the backbone of the NCC, and I foresee them in the same conference once USD/UND are through probation. If no one has left Summit conference, then USD/UND would be near constant OOC games, especially outside football.

I also see you guys with major stadium improvements in the next 10 years. It'll be cool to one day see (10 years from now) the two largest stadiums in the Gateway belonging to North Dakota State and South Dakota State.xthumbsupx

MplsBison
June 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Especially considering that YSU will certainly have left by then and possibly IL St.

TheBisonator
June 20th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Especially considering that YSU will certainly have left by then and possibly IL St.

I see YSU leaving, but not Il State. It would be a disaster for them. I don't see Il State going FBS alone (they would still move to the FBS), because of the following scenario:

I envision a possibility of FBS Missouri Valley Football returning with the loss of YSU to the MAC, Wichita State bringing back football, Evansville moving to the Horizon, and NDSU SDSU and Western Ill. invited to the Valley. I do not have any total confidence whatsoever that this will happen at all. I am not like star2city from the SiouxSports boards, where he makes a conference prediction, and is 100 percent certain that it will happen, making him look a fool. All I see is that the odds of this scenario happening are better than most other conference prediction scenarios I have read. It's a logical scenario IMO, but it's up to the individual schools. I would however be VERY happy to see NDSU and SDSU playing FBS-level MVC football. I think it would definitely work, but again, I can't say with confidence that it will happen.

TheBisonator
June 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I want to keep on the discussion of MVC football, because it's on-topic with the 10-year future plans for teams. Here's how I see the MVC possibly working out 10 years from now:

All members:

Illinois State
North Dakota State
Drake
Bradley
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Wichita State
Creighton
South Dakota State
Western Illinois
Missouri State
Indiana State

Football:

Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
North Dakota State
Wichita State
Missouri State
South Dakota State
Illinois State
Indiana State
Western Illinois

Anyone think this could work out??

Aggie71
June 20th, 2007, 10:04 PM
UC Davis and Cal Poly - SLO will continue to slowly improve upon their team and facility goals. I think we will be in FCS for at least 10 to 15 years.

Or until Fred Arp finally retires officially.

peace,

BearsCountry
June 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I want to keep on the discussion of MVC football, because it's on-topic with the 10-year future plans for teams. Here's how I see the MVC possibly working out 10 years from now:

All members:

Illinois State
North Dakota State
Drake
Bradley
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Wichita State
Creighton
South Dakota State
Western Illinois
Missouri State
Indiana State

Football:

Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
North Dakota State
Wichita State
Missouri State
South Dakota State
Illinois State
Indiana State
Western Illinois

Anyone think this could work out??

Everything looks good expect the Western Illinois part. I dont think the MVC will be adding them anytime in the future.

TheBisonator
June 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Everything looks good expect the Western Illinois part. I dont think the MVC will be adding them anytime in the future.

Well they are spending millions to renovate their football stadium, and will soon be doing the same to their basketball arena.

The MVC wouldn't reject WIU for football reasons, that's for sure. Heck, WIU gets more fans per football game than your team, Missouri State.

2006:

Western Illinois - 10,701
Missouri State - 10,045

I think the only issue with WIU would be basketball. Their hoops team is in the bottom of the dumpster right now, and they draw even less fans per game than NDSU and SDSU did for DII and NAIA teams during our transitions. I don't know how they are in baseball. (Someone fill me in??) With renovations and expansions coming to their sports/recreation center though, I'm sure the sports they have that suck will bound to improve. This is 10 years away, after all.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM
What if they step up their commitment to bball?

It'd be darn hard for us to up and leave Western out in the cold when they got us into the Summit and Gateway.

TheBisonator
June 20th, 2007, 10:24 PM
What if they step up their commitment to bball?

It'd be darn hard for us to up and leave Western out in the cold when they got us into the Summit and Gateway.

Western is gonna improve in the coming years, I'm sure of it. They're already not too far away from getting the support and money for a 15,000/game minimum attenance average for football. They're rebuilding and expanding their once decrepit old stadium. And while I do not know a thing about their baseball program, i do know that their women's athletics are very respectable. It's their men's hoops team that's stuck in the muck right now.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I actually think that with the Dakota 4 and Oral Roberts, the Summit could very well rival the Missouri Valley in hoops in the next 10 years (assuming OR doesn't leave).

BEAR
June 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Here's Montana in 10 years. And still playing FCS football.xlolx
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/366355933_266f57619e_b.jpg

Um..why is your word "Montana" in the endzone backwards? xconfusedx

Nevermind. I see the digital editing. It's late. I'm tired. Nevermind.

TheBisonator
June 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I actually think that with the Dakota 4 and Oral Roberts, the Summit could very well rival the Missouri Valley in hoops in the next 10 years (assuming OR doesn't leave).

The UXDs won't get into the Summit until at least 2011, though. That's assuming that the Summit has not already solidified its members, and there continues to be defections. By that time (2011-2013 or so), the situation for the XDSUs and the Valley may look better. I don't think the Summit can improve to the point that it rivals the Valley in anything in the next 5-10 years. The XDSUs would rather join the Valley than stay in a conference that tries to be like it.

TheBisonator
June 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Um..why is your word "Montana" in the endzone backwards? xconfusedx

Cause it would take a Photoshop genius to make the picture totally perfect.:D

BearsCountry
June 20th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Well they are spending millions to renovate their football stadium, and will soon be doing the same to their basketball arena.

The MVC wouldn't reject WIU for football reasons, that's for sure. Heck, WIU gets more fans per football game than your team, Missouri State.

2006:

Western Illinois - 10,701
Missouri State - 10,045

I think the only issue with WIU would be basketball. Their hoops team is in the bottom of the dumpster right now, and they draw even less fans per game than NDSU and SDSU did for DII and NAIA teams during our transitions. I don't know how they are in baseball. (Someone fill me in??) With renovations and expansions coming to their sports/recreation center though, I'm sure the sports they have that suck will bound to improve. This is 10 years away, after all.

Well Western's problems are first - basketball, second - location, no tv market at all, third - academics. I know UNI, Illinois State, SIU fans can comment on this as well. Football wise they are fine, its the rest of the package which is not. Besides if MVC expands the pecking order is basically SLU & pick a school ie Butler, ORU, or NDSU & SDSU. But if the MVC does form a football league - your current league would more than likely turn into a football conference in the future with ND, SD, WIU, SUU and some move ups from D2 like Central MO, Wayne St, etc.

SuperJon
June 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Liberty has a donor ready and willing to donate the money when it's needed to expand the stadium to 25,000-30,000 seats. We have a state of the art operations building with the largest weight room in VA. We have a great coach and great AD that both feel an obligation to carry out Dr. Falwell's goals and dreams. Will we go FCS in ten years? I don't know. I know that Coach Rocco and Jeff Barber (AD) will not even begin to do it if they don't think we're ready in terms of how we play on the field. Everything is set in place for us to become a power, it's just a matter of getting to that point.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM
While not exactly in it, I would think that Western Illinois's main marketing base would be the Quad cities/Davenport area.

Slammer50111
June 21st, 2007, 11:45 AM
While not exactly in it, I would think that Western Illinois's main marketing base would be the Quad cities/Davenport area.

Western will never compete with U of Iowa in the Quad Cities. Iowa City is a short drive down I-80.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2007, 12:31 PM
There's 500k people there.

Can't all be Hawkeyes.

The Sheriff
June 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
There's 500k people there.

Can't all be Hawkeyes.

Yeah, might be a Cyclone or two mixed in. Or how about a Cy-Hawk?

RadMann
June 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
No change in 10, 20, 30 years that I can see.....

Mr. Tiger
June 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
I see Jackson State undergoing changes in 5-10 years.

1. New on-campus stadium seating 30,000-45,000 with luxury boxes.
2. New AD, because our current one is in his 60s.
3. Increased athletic budget and talent.
4. Scheduling that includes more FBS, Southland and other FCS teams.

Kill'em
June 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
I see Jackson State undergoing changes in 5-10 years.

1. New on-campus stadium seating 30,000-45,000 with luxury boxes.
2. New AD, because our current one is in his 60s.
3. Increased athletic budget and talent.
4. Scheduling that includes more FBS, Southland and other FCS teams.

Personally, I would like us to play more SWAC schools, Jackson St included.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:15 AM
I also see you guys with major stadium improvements in the next 10 years. It'll be cool to one day see (10 years from now) the two largest stadiums in the Gateway belonging to North Dakota State and South Dakota State.xthumbsupx

is that assuming YSU leaving?

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:16 AM
NDSU SDSU and Western Ill. invited to the Valley.

WIU would never be invited into the Valley.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Western is gonna improve in the coming years, I'm sure of it. They're already not too far away from getting the support and money for a 15,000/game minimum attenance average for football. They're rebuilding and expanding their once decrepit old stadium. And while I do not know a thing about their baseball program, i do know that their women's athletics are very respectable. It's their men's hoops team that's stuck in the muck right now.

hard to improve attendance with the population around there. Macomb is a whole lot of nothing and Galesburg is a 20 mins drive and not much more.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM

That seems like a stretch. Only Oral Roberts out of those teams has shown any ability to compete at that level.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM

2 hours away and mostly Hawkeye territory. No one is driving to Macomb for games or watching them on TV.