PDA

View Full Version : Robert Morris leaving the NEC?

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2020, 07:15 AM
Media reports suggest that RMU may leave the NEC and join the Horizon or MAAC as soon as the 2020-21 season.

Neither league sponsors FCS football, so it is unclear what RMU or the NEC will do?

The Northeast Conference will have 10 full members (and 8 football teams) if the Colonials withdraw from league and are not granted affiliate member for football.

This also seems like an opportunity for the NEC to pick off at least 2 northern MEAC teams (Delaware St., Howard, Coppin St., UMES, Morgan St.) for expansion.

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2020, 07:33 AM
Of course, the other option for the NEC is to simply replace RMU with D-II New Haven. The Chargers are in the existing footprint and bring football to the table.

Go Green
June 4th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Of course, the other option for the NEC is to simply replace RMU with D-II New Haven. The Chargers are in the existing footprint and bring football to the table.

They also have FCS ambitions.

https://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-sp-university-new-haven-sheahon-zenger-20190904-20190904-gtansaqirvh43nj4wveqg327vu-story.html

Outsider1
June 4th, 2020, 09:10 AM
Are there not better conference options for them that offer football?

Anthony215
June 4th, 2020, 09:17 AM
Traveling wise I think New Haven makes the most sense. PA will still have 2 schools in conference with Duquesne and St Francis and the other schools are in NY, CT, RI and MA. Delaware State would be a back up option if New Haven couldn't make the jump up to D1.

Original_RMC
June 4th, 2020, 09:37 AM
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06/03/robert-morris-considering-options-to-leave-northeast-conference/

^ It will be interesting to see where RMU could land. If they go New Horizon then football should be safe. And RMU would probably try to stay in the NEC. Not sure if the NEC would want to keep RMU (see Monmouth). And it also seems that RMU is entertaining the MAAC as well. And if they are voted into the MAAC then football could be at risk!
And I was thinking that football was safe until RMU announced this.

https://www.timesonline.com/news/20200604/rmu-eliminates-jobs-furloughs-employees-amid-covid-19-losses

WestCoastAggie
June 4th, 2020, 09:57 AM
RMU could always join the MEAC for football.

wapiti
June 4th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Why would they downgrade?

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2020, 10:05 AM

True. Hasn’t really considered that. I say it is unlikely as RMU would not have AQ access to the playoffs in the MEAC. Joining the Bug South as an affiliate alongside Monmouth makes much more sense.

WestCoastAggie
June 4th, 2020, 10:08 AM
True. Hasn’t really considered that. I say it is unlikely as RMU would not have AQ access to the playoffs in the MEAC. Joining the Bug South as an affiliate alongside Monmouth makes much more sense.
The Big South could be an option if the UAC ever formulates. But, the MEAC will need football members and the Celebration Bowl hasn’t been renewed past this season.

Original_RMC
June 4th, 2020, 10:12 AM

I'm not sure if RMU could swallow that increase cost for football with increasing scholarships and travel. But agree that would be ideal. I thought the Patriot League would perhaps be ideal for conference move for RMU but doesn't look like that is not option.

Anthony215
June 4th, 2020, 10:15 AM
The Big South could be an option if the UAC ever formulates. But, the MEAC will need football members and the Celebration Bowl hasn’t been renewed past this season.

With the Celebration Bowl not being renewed past this season RMU to the MEAC could possibly happen. The every other year flight to South Carolina might be costly in football but for basketball you could bus both men's and women's together and play in SC and NC to get those games out of the way early in conference play.

WestCoastAggie
June 4th, 2020, 10:21 AM
With the Celebration Bowl not being renewed past this season RMU to the MEAC could possibly happen. The every other year flight to South Carolina might be costly in football but for basketball you could bus both men's and women's together and play in SC and NC to get those games out of the way early in conference play.

They’d only join for football as their other sports would be in the Horizon or MAAC. So that flight to SC would be every other year.

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2020, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure if RMU could swallow that increase cost for football with increasing scholarships and travel. But agree that would be ideal. I thought the Patriot League would perhaps be ideal for conference move for RMU but doesn't look like that is not option.

If the PL folks can't take a hard swallow on Monmouth for football-only; no disrespect, but RMU isn't getting a second look from Center Valley.

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2020, 10:31 AM
Personally, I think the RMU athletic department would be better off in the MAAC than the Horizon. The Colonials currently just sponsor 3 Horizon League men's sports - just not a good fit. Many former rivals (Siena, Marist, Rider, Monmouth and Quinnipiac) in the MAAC, with a much more compact footprint (NY State + NYC Metro area) and it is a step up from the NEC.

Football remains an issue - the NEC isn't going to let RMU remain for football and be eligible for our AQ - count on it. However, I have no doubt RMU would be able to schedule NEC teams independently.

Original_RMC
June 4th, 2020, 10:37 AM
Personally, I think the RMU athletic department would be better off in the MAAC than the Horizon. The Colonials currently just sponsor 3 Horizon League men's sports - just not a good fit. Many former rivals (Siena, Marist, Rider, Monmouth and Quinnipiac) in the MAAC, with a much more compact footprint (NY State + NYC Metro area) and it is a step up from the NEC.

Football remains an issue - the NEC isn't going to let RMU remain for football and be eligible for our AQ - count on it. However, I have no doubt RMU would be able to schedule NEC teams independently.

I agree that the MAAC would be a better fit but that makes me nervous about football. Duquesne remains as an associate member of the NEC football and women's bowling. It will be interesting to see what happens over the summer.

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2020, 10:44 AM
I agree that the MAAC would be a better fit but that makes me nervous about football. Duquesne remains as an associate member of the NEC football and women's bowling. It will be interesting to see what happens over the summer.

But Duquense was never a full member. The remaining NEC schools will not allow a team to leave the league and have AQ access for football, period.

I also expect a RMU decision by the end of the month. If they are serious about leaving the NEC, they will put in notice before July 1.

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2020, 10:59 AM
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06/03/robert-morris-considering-options-to-leave-northeast-conference/

^ It will be interesting to see where RMU could land. If they go New Horizon then football should be safe. And RMU would probably try to stay in the NEC. Not sure if the NEC would want to keep RMU (see Monmouth). And it also seems that RMU is entertaining the MAAC as well. And if they are voted into the MAAC then football could be at risk!
And I was thinking that football was safe until RMU announced this.

https://www.timesonline.com/news/20200604/rmu-eliminates-jobs-furloughs-employees-amid-covid-19-losses

Correct. A sad option would be for RMU to drop football as financial losses from COVID-19 are mounting.

BigBlueMU
June 4th, 2020, 12:03 PM
A move to the MAAC does makes sense for RMU, but is the MAAC looking to expand to Western PA? What's in it for the MAAC to expand for RMU?

Original_RMC
June 4th, 2020, 12:29 PM
I have crawled through many Horizon and MAAC message boards looking for opinions on RMU joining either conference. Most are thinking New Horizon is the better fit for RMU.
And this recent article agrees: https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/06/04/horizon-league-basketball-how-robert-morris-addition-would-impact-the-conference/

Baron Sardonicus
June 4th, 2020, 12:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/777597017681866752/CSmHGyE__400x400.jpg

mvfcfan
June 4th, 2020, 01:32 PM
RMU to the HL has been a rumor ever since Valpo left for the MVC. It's never made any sense to me. The Horizon League is barely an improvement if it's even an improvement anymore. The fact that the HL has added IUPUI and IPFW tells you all you need to know. But why make a lateral move to a conference that doesn't have football unless RMU plans on dropping the sport or dropping to the Pioneer League? Personally if I was a RMU fan I would want to stay put.

DFW HOYA
June 4th, 2020, 02:46 PM
If the PL folks can't take a hard swallow on Monmouth for football-only; no disrespect, but RMU isn't getting a second look from Center Valley.

The Patriot League expansion number is three and only three: Richmond, William & Mary, Villanova. None are interested.

As further stated in the PL bylaws: "Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."

cx500d
June 4th, 2020, 03:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNTzOBKs1bA

ColonialInsider
June 4th, 2020, 03:15 PM
RMU to the HL has been a rumor ever since Valpo left for the MVC. It's never made any sense to me. The Horizon League is barely an improvement if it's even an improvement anymore. The fact that the HL has added IUPUI and IPFW tells you all you need to know. But why make a lateral move to a conference that doesn't have football unless RMU plans on dropping the sport or dropping to the Pioneer League? Personally if I was a RMU fan I would want to stay put.
The NEC has routinely been one of the worst conferences in men's basketball.

The Horizon isn't what it was ten years ago, but it's still better. Plus, overall travel might be better. RMU could get rivalries going with Cleveland State and Youngstown State. The Detroit schools aren't that far from Pittsburgh, at least closer than all the NYC schools.

I get it from a basketball perspective. Just don't know what happens with football.

ysubigred
June 4th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Bobby Morris to the MVFC!

Original_RMC
June 4th, 2020, 03:55 PM
Bobby Morris to the MVFC!

YSU, Toldeo, Bowling Green and RMU creating a new FCS conference.
They pull in Duquesne.
Then you start to recruit other FCS programs.... xlolx

ysubigred
June 4th, 2020, 04:15 PM
YSU, Toldeo, Bowling Green and RMU creating a new FCS conference.
They pull in Duquesne.
Then you start to recruit other FCS programs.... xlolxI love it[emoji106] I love my MVFC brothers but YSU's travel is one of the worst mileage wise in all of college football at any level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Laker
June 4th, 2020, 05:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNTzOBKs1bA

And the Lord did grin.

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2020, 05:55 PM
What Happens to Football if Robert Morris Leaves Northeast Conference?
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06/04/what-happens-to-football-if-robert-morris-leaves-northeast-conference/

The author touches on a range of options - NEC, Big South, Patriot, Pioneer, Dropping Football, and some long shots - MVFC, OVC, and Independent.

Also seems to confirm that RMU has at least had some discussions with the Big South; and that SCSU might join NCAT in leaving the MEAC.

The Colonials could follow the Hawks to the Big South, and in fact, Pittsburgh Sports Now has learned that Robert Morris has at least looked into the possibility of joining the league.

The Big South currently sits at eight members. The league is scheduled to lose Presbyterian to the Pioneer League in 2021, while adding North Carolina A&T. The Colonials would make an uneven number of teams, but Pittsburgh Sports Now has learned that South Carolina State could be a candidate to also leave the MEAC and join the Big South, along with North Carolina A&T, in 2021.

DFW HOYA
June 4th, 2020, 08:17 PM
Dropping to the Pioneer League does not requiring adding a sport. The PFL counts football as a sport just as it would anywhere else.

mvfcfan
June 4th, 2020, 08:26 PM
RMU has no business being in the MVFC or OVC. If the Big South or Patriot League wants them they can have them. Seems like a lot of trouble to go from a one bid league that gets put on the 15 or 16 line to a one bid league that gets put on the 14 or 15 line.

ColonialInsider
June 4th, 2020, 08:35 PM
Dropping to the Pioneer League does not requiring adding a sport. The PFL counts football as a sport just as it would anywhere else.
The NCAA requires Division I schools to spend offer a certain number of scholarships as an athletic department or spend a certain amount of money on scholarships per year. I believe it is 200.

RMU would likely be below that count by cutting football scholarships, since it only offers 15 total sports (and just six men's sports).

ColonialInsider
June 4th, 2020, 08:41 PM
The NCAA requires Division I schools to spend offer a certain number of scholarships as an athletic department or spend a certain amount of money on scholarships per year. I believe it is 200.

RMU would likely be below that count by cutting football scholarships, since it only offers 15 total sports (and just six men's sports).
BTW, the other Pioneer League teams all offer more sports. If not substantially more, they at least offer other scholarship men's sports - and a few more women's sports - to make up the difference.

DFW HOYA
June 4th, 2020, 08:44 PM

How much does Yale spend?

ColonialInsider
June 4th, 2020, 10:49 PM
How much does Yale spend?
First, a confirmation of the financial aid rewards:
"Division I schools must meet minimum financial aid awards for their athletics program, and there are maximum financial aid awards for each sport that a Division I school cannot exceed."
http://www.ncaa.org/about/who-we-are/membership/divisional-differences-and-history-multidivision-classification

Second, while the Ivies do not offer athletic scholarships, they have changed their need-based aid in order to target a wider range of prospective student-athletes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sports/financial-aid-changes-game-as-sports-teams-in-ivies-rise.html

In all likelihood, the NCAA has granted the Ivies a special clause to consider targeted need-based aid as the equivalent of athletic financial aid.

UNHWildcat18
June 5th, 2020, 06:49 AM
Anyone think RMU will just drop football? I think they'd be better off if they are moving conferences for BBALL purposes.

ElCid
June 5th, 2020, 07:43 AM
Anyone think RMU will just drop football? I think they'd be better off if they are moving conferences for BBALL purposes.

You are probably right. The absolute glut of schools who either started Div I football outright or moved up a notch in the last 30 years have thinned the pool of recruits to point that makes it difficult to field competitive teams uniformly. The gap within each tier has gotten much greater as a result, as has the gap between the tiers. I have a feeling that the ranks will be thinned a bit more in the coming years.

DFW HOYA
June 5th, 2020, 08:45 AM
First, a confirmation of the financial aid rewards:
"Division I schools must meet minimum financial aid awards for their athletics program, and there are maximum financial aid awards for each sport that a Division I school cannot exceed."
http://www.ncaa.org/about/who-we-are/membership/divisional-differences-and-history-multidivision-classification

Second, while the Ivies do not offer athletic scholarships, they have changed their need-based aid in order to target a wider range of prospective student-athletes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sports/financial-aid-changes-game-as-sports-teams-in-ivies-rise.html

In all likelihood, the NCAA has granted the Ivies a special clause to consider targeted need-based aid as the equivalent of athletic financial aid.

The 200 scholarships plateau is for I-A, not Division I as a whole, and I doubt there is a waiver just for the Ivy League.

How many NEC schools offer 200 scholarships, esp. those without football? Probably none.

ColonialInsider
June 6th, 2020, 12:18 PM
The 200 scholarships plateau is for I-A, not Division I as a whole, and I doubt there is a waiver just for the Ivy League.

How many NEC schools offer 200 scholarships, esp. those without football? Probably none.
It absolutely is a requirement for all of Division I.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ncaa-waives-division-minimum-scholarship-spending-70544779
"The scheduling and scholarship waivers were part of a broad request made by the commissioners of the five non-Power Five FBS conferences two weeks ago on behalf of all Division I."

If you want even more detail, here's the NCAA document detailing the recent amendments made to offer relief to the rule.
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/d1/D1GOV_COVID-19ActionChart.pdf

Also, the rule is either 200 scholarships or $4 million in athletic financial aid. RMU, for example, clears both benchmarks with approximately 210 scholarships and over $8 million in financial aid across 15 sports. RMU has ice hockey and lacrosse, as well as rowing, all of which offer a fair number of scholarships.

The NEC schools that do not offer football in the NEC are Fairleigh Dickinson, Mount St. Mary's, and St. Francis-Brooklyn. They all offer more sports than RMU, for example, and all of them offer more than $4 million per year in athletic aid.

ColonialInsider
June 6th, 2020, 12:24 PM
From a financial stance, it might make sense. But if it were being considered, the RMU staff wouldn't be as active recruiting as they are now (bunch of recent offers went out).

Also, the new athletic director is a proponent of football given RMU's location in Western Pennsylvania. And the school president is a former college football player at Air Force.

Pinnum
June 6th, 2020, 02:04 PM

Fyi: when you have a question about anything like this you’re beat bet is to simply consult the NCAA Division-I Manual. The NYTimes and other sources often don’t quiet understand all the details and lead you to the wrong conclusions.

the Ivy League does not count need based financial aid to meet the NCAA requirement for scholarships. The Ivy League does not offer merit aid to attract any students of any kind. They only offer need based financial aid.

the Ivy League could stop offering any financial aid and remain D1.

there is no scholarship requirement for them. The scholarship rule is a relatively new rule that was added when athletic departments started to generate more money. It was put in place so D2 or D3 schools wouldn’t simply go D1 and not make an investment in their student athletes.

There is a minimum scholarship rule but it isn’t 200. 200 is one of the ways to meet the requirement for FBS football which isn’t a high bar with 85 football scholarships. Add in basketball and you’re almost there for your men’s requirement.

but per the discussion on Ivy League; This is the rule you’re looking for...

20.9.3.2.7 Exemptions -- No Institutional Athletics Aid. Member institutions that did not award any athletically related financial aid in any sport as of January 11, 1991, shall be exempted from the minimum requirements. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/94)

taper
June 7th, 2020, 06:00 PM
I love it[emoji106] I love my MVFC brothers but YSU's travel is one of the worst mileage wise in all of college football at any level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hawaii, San Diego(ironic considering the PFL's low budget), a lot of Florida schools, the entire BSC and AAC, West Virginia, Notre Dame(though they definitely have the money). NDSU has the money to bring OOC teams to Fargo, otherwise we'd be an island too. Long travel if you're not on the east coast, Texas, or D2 is just a fact of life.

dbackjon
June 8th, 2020, 11:12 AM
It absolutely is a requirement for all of Division I.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ncaa-waives-division-minimum-scholarship-spending-70544779
"The scheduling and scholarship waivers were part of a broad request made by the commissioners of the five non-Power Five FBS conferences two weeks ago on behalf of all Division I."

If you want even more detail, here's the NCAA document detailing the recent amendments made to offer relief to the rule.
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/d1/D1GOV_COVID-19ActionChart.pdf

Also, the rule is either 200 scholarships or $4 million in athletic financial aid. RMU, for example, clears both benchmarks with approximately 210 scholarships and over $8 million in financial aid across 15 sports. RMU has ice hockey and lacrosse, as well as rowing, all of which offer a fair number of scholarships.

The NEC schools that do not offer football in the NEC are Fairleigh Dickinson, Mount St. Mary's, and St. Francis-Brooklyn. They all offer more sports than RMU, for example, and all of them offer more than $4 million per year in athletic aid.

The ABC article is wrong. Only FBS schools are required to offer 200 scholarships - it even says so in the second link you provided, where under the FBS only heading it is a one year waiver to allow 75% of aid requirements - 150 scholarships and $3 million in aid.

ColonialInsider
June 8th, 2020, 01:51 PM
The ABC article is wrong. Only FBS schools are required to offer 200 scholarships - it even says so in the second link you provided, where under the FBS only heading it is a one year waiver to allow 75% of aid requirements - 150 scholarships and $3 million in aid.
Alright, I went straight to the NCAA Division I manual, as recommended by Pinnum a couple posts ago.

20.9.3.2 Minimum Awards. A member of Division I shall provide institutional financial assistance thatequals one of the following:
(a) A minimum of 50 percent of the maximum allowable grants in 14 sports, at least seven of which must bewomen’s sports
(b) Financial aid representing a minimum aggregate expenditure of $1,679,428 in 2019-20 (with at least$839,714 in women’s sports) and $1,755,002 in 2020-21 (with at least $877,501 in women’s sports)exclusive of grants in football and men’s and women’s basketball, provided the aggregate grant value isnot less than the equivalent of 38 full grants, with at least 19 full grants for women.
(c) A minimum of the equivalent of 50 full grants (at least 25 full grants in women’s sports), exclusive ofgrants awarded in football and men’s and women’s basketball. If the member institution does not providemen’s or women’s basketball, it shall sponsor a minimum of 35 full grants in the sports program for thegender without the basketball program;
or(d) A minimum of one-half of the required grants or aggregate expenditures cited in (a), (b) or (c) above, forinstitutions that depend on exceptional amounts of federal assistance to meet students’ financial needs.

And for the Ivies:

20.9.3.2.7 Exemptions—No Institutional Athletics Aid. Member institutions that did not awardany athletically related financial aid in any sport as of January 11, 1991, shall be exempted from the minimum requirements.

Specific to the FCS:

/15/06)20.9.10.1 Sports Sponsorship. [FCSD] The institution shall sponsor in Division I a minimum of: (Revised:1/10/91 effective 9/1/94, 1/11/94 effective 9/1/94, 1/15/11)(a) Seven varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws20.9.6 and 20.9.6.3 and involving all-male teams or mixed teams of males and females, and seven varsityintercollegiate sports (of which a maximum of two emerging sports per Bylaw 20.02.4 may be utilized)based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws 20.9.6 and 20.9.6.3 and involving all-female teams,subject to the waiver provision in Bylaw 20.9.6.2; or(b) Six varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws20.9.6 and 20.9.6.3 and involving all-male teams or mixed teams of males and females, and eight varsityintercollegiate sports (of which a maximum of two emerging sports per Bylaw 20.02.4 may be utilized)based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws 20.9.6 and 20.9.6.3 and involving all-female teams,subject to the waiver provision in Bylaw 20.9.6.2.

Robert Morris has 15 sports, six for men and nine for women. It offers scholarships in all of them. If it goes non-scholarship in football, I believe it would satisfy the NCAA Division I requirements listed in the first quoted section. But I think it would run afoul of the the FCS requirement, because it would only five male sports in which it offered scholarships. As an example, every Pioneer Football League team has at least seven male sports, except for Morehead State. Morehead State has six, but it also has a co-ed rifle team, which I think is what it allows it to stay an FCS member within the PFL.

That's my read of it and why I think RMU would be required to add a male sport if it went non-scholarship in football.

That said, I don't think it's going to do that. It'll either stay in the NEC or try to get into the Big South if it lands in the Horizon League for other sports.

Baron Sardonicus
June 8th, 2020, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=ColonialInsider;2887725 Morehead State has six, but it also has a co-ed rifle team, which I think is what it allows it to stay an FCS member within the PFL.[/QUOTE]

Take another look at Morehead's athletic site. In addition to that rifle team, you'll see six men's sports and eight women's sports. As you posted, 20.9.20.1 allows them to comply with either a 7/7 or 6/8 option.

ColonialInsider
June 8th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Take another look at Morehead's athletic site. In addition to that rifle team, you'll see six men's sports and eight women's sports. As you posted, 20.9.20.1 allows them to comply with either a 7/7 or 6/8 option.
I guess I wasn't clear - it has six, but one of which is non-scholarship football. Based on my reading of the manual, if it had just those six, it'd run afoul of the FCS requirements. But having the co-ed rifle team allows them to fulfill the 6/8 option.

Baron Sardonicus
June 8th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Morehead football is a varsity intercollegiate sport. Plain enough.

Original_RMC
June 9th, 2020, 08:27 AM
https://twitter.com/TheD1Docket/status/1268309912012107780?s=20 (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/twitter.com/TheD1Docket/status/1268309912012107780?s=20)

Pinnum
June 9th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Twitter link

Looks like it was in the works for a while...

FYI: This link should work...
http://twitter.com/TheD1Docket/status/1268309912012107780?s=20

TheKingpin28
June 9th, 2020, 12:19 PM
Looks like it was in the works for a while...

FYI: This link should work...
http://twitter.com/TheD1Docket/status/1268309912012107780?s=20

So, now where will they go for football?

If they go to the Valley, that would be a complete disaster and I doubt the schools would allow them to join, due to an even more unbalanced schedule
They can't stay in the NEC
Doubt they would go to the Pioneer and lose scholly football

ColonialInsider
June 9th, 2020, 01:16 PM
So, now where will they go for football?

If they go to the Valley, that would be a complete disaster and I doubt the schools would allow them to join, due to an even more unbalanced schedule
They can't stay in the NEC
Doubt they would go to the Pioneer and lose scholly football
I really don't think the university wants to go to the Pioneer. If they're going to have a football program and the cost of running it at the FCS level, they're going to have scholarships.

I think the NEC remains a possibility, that the league adding Merrimack was so that it could retain a full 10-team basketball conference with RMU staying on in lacrosse in football.

If not, I wonder if something may be happening with the MEAC's troubles, the Atlantic Sun/CCSA machinations, and the Big South. Could a new, all-football conference be forming out of that with predominantly mid-Atlantic schools in Virginia, NC, DC, NJ, and RMU in PA?

Original_RMC
June 9th, 2020, 01:36 PM
I believe football is alive at RMU. I don't think this potential conference move is a risk for any program.
As for football, there are really 2 options for the 2020 season.

Remain in the NEC as an associate member for football & lacrosse. This comes down to RMU and the NEC playing nice together if RMU goes leave for another conference. NEC might not be happy with the best women's basketball program and one of better men's program leaving as well.
RMU is label as a FCS Independent in 2020. Monmouth was denied their bid to remain in the NEC in 2013 and had to play with the schedule they had. So they played their NEC schedule while being labeled as an Independent.
Monmouth was added to the Big South in 2014.
I think RMU could follow the same path in 2020 and 2021.

aceinthehole
June 9th, 2020, 02:19 PM
I believe football is alive at RMU. I don't think this potential conference move is a risk for any program.

Remain in the NEC as an associate member for football & lacrosse. This comes down to RMU and the NEC playing nice together if RMU goes leave for another conference. NEC might not be happy with the best women's basketball program and one of better men's program leaving as well.
RMU is label as a FCS Independent in 2020. Monmouth was denied their bid to remain in the NEC in 2013 and had to play with the schedule they had. So they played their NEC schedule while being labeled as an Independent.

This is really the only option for scholarship football if RMU leaves the NEC for the Horizon or MAAC. The remaining NEC members are not going to allow RMU to leave for greener pastures in basketball and let football keep AQ access through the NEC.

The NEC isn't at risk of losing AQ access in any sport and the precedent was set with Monmouth. If the NEC allowed RMU to remain a football affiliate, that would just open the door for Wagner or Bryant to join the MAAC or even CCSU to try to move to America East.

I do agree that many NEC teams would be willing to continue scheduling RMU as an Independent in 2020 and beyond, but the Colonials will lose their NEC AQ access in football - count on it.

TheKingpin28
June 9th, 2020, 02:24 PM
I really don't think the university wants to go to the Pioneer. If they're going to have a football program and the cost of running it at the FCS level, they're going to have scholarships.

I think the NEC remains a possibility, that the league adding Merrimack was so that it could retain a full 10-team basketball conference with RMU staying on in lacrosse in football.

If not, I wonder if something may be happening with the MEAC's troubles, the Atlantic Sun/CCSA machinations, and the Big South. Could a new, all-football conference be forming out of that with predominantly mid-Atlantic schools in Virginia, NC, DC, NJ, and RMU in PA?

Would the Big South realistically speaking, take RMU though? I know Monmouth is an outlier, but with NCAT joining, would they really want to add RMU? Sure you'd be at 9 football schools (which is perfect for a conference season), but is the travel worth it? Unless they could tell all of the schools, you only have to travel "north" once a year, I would find that hard to be worth it.

Libertine
June 9th, 2020, 02:32 PM
If the NEC allowed RMU to remain a football affiliate, that would just open the door for Wagner or Bryant to join the MAAC or even CCSU to try to move to America East.

For what it's worth, this was precisely why Monmouth got the boot in 2013. Saint Francis and Bryant were eyeing the MAAC and A-East respectively but Noreen Morris put her foot down to avoid gutting basketball and olympic sports.

Having observed the Big South for quite a few years, I don't see that conference beating down RMU's door. Five years ago, the BS leadership would have been on the Colonials in a heartbeat but it looks like their focus has shifted toward unhappy MEAC schools for the time being and maybe they feel like they've already got numbers shored up without expanding the geographic footprint. If that's the case, I think that's a mistake. Some of the football membership were already struggling financially and, post-COVID, they could be in real trouble. I would not be shocked at all to see Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern follow Presbyterian into the Pioneer within the next few years.

ColonialInsider
June 9th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Would the Big South realistically speaking, take RMU though? I know Monmouth is an outlier, but with NCAT joining, would they really want to add RMU? Sure you'd be at 9 football schools (which is perfect for a conference season), but is the travel worth it? Unless they could tell all of the schools, you only have to travel "north" once a year, I would find that hard to be worth it.
Everything I've read says the Big South will take just about anyone within reason. It'd be more of a concern on RMU's side, given the travel. It's one game up north every other years for most of the Big South schools; it'd be 4 or so games per year down south for RMU.

Original_RMC
June 9th, 2020, 02:46 PM
I'm sure the news of RMU potentially leaving is not making the NEC happy. RMU just built that new arena which is the best facility in the NEC for hoops. RMU won the Men's and Women's NEC Title for basketball. Men during the tournament and Women during the regular (tournament cut short due to COVID). RMU Men's golf won NEC in 2019, was looking to repeat in 2020. Women's volleyball was great in regular season but upset in the conference tournament. RMU women's softball has been up and down over the years.
RMU football bounced back big time in 2019 and looking to win the conference in 2020. RMU men's and women's lacrosse is always in the top 4 battling.

And RMU/RMC is an OG NEC for football when it started in 1996. But now of that matters. It all about conferences, best about the schools.

If RMU receives an invite to HL and accepts, they won't be welcome in the NEC. Morris will put her foot down to make an example out of RMU like she did with Monmouth.

aceinthehole
June 9th, 2020, 02:46 PM
For what it's worth, this was precisely why Monmouth got the boot in 2013. Saint Francis and Bryant were eyeing the MAAC and A-East respectively but Noreen Morris put her foot down to avoid gutting basketball and olympic sports.

SFU? I don't think they were ever in play for the MAAC. On the other hand, Wagner was reported by the NY Daily News to be under consideration for the MAAC back in 2013, when MU and QU were admitted. Wagner administrators had a very strong relationship with the Monmouth administration and the Seahawks were considered as the 12th team, but no offer was made. I think NEC Presidents and Commissioner Morris realized they had to be firm and protect the rest of the members. There was a lot of hurt feeling when MU bolted (QU was expected).

The most recent additions to the NEC have all be from New England (Merrimack, Bryant, Sacred Heart, and Quinnipiac) which I'm sure puts pressure on RMU and SFU, but that's where the available teams are. I'm sure if Gannon or Mercyhurst were interested in DI, the NEC would add them to appease the Western PA schools - but that's not the case.

The NEC is what it is - an entry point for D-I schools. As a CCSU fan, I wish we would have moved on to America East with UMBC, but I digress ... We have to keep the NEC as strong as possible and prevent schools moving on and taking advantage of our AQs. I understand why RMU wants to leave, but the remaining members of the NEC have to do everything in their limited power to make it a tough decision to leave.

Libertine
June 9th, 2020, 02:55 PM
SFU? I don't think they were ever in play for the MAAC. On the other hand, Wagner was reported by the NY Daily News to be under consideration for the MAAC back in 2013, when MU and QU were admitted. Wagner administrators had a very strong relationship with the Monmouth administration and the Seahawks were considered as the 12th team, but no offer was made. I think NEC Presidents and Commissioner Morris realized they had to be firm and protect the rest of the members. There was a lot of hurt feeling when MU bolted (QU was expected).

I may have the conferences backwards -- it was nearly a decade ago -- but Saint Francis was one of the conversation pieces. You're right, though, there were a lot of hurt feelings.

aceinthehole
June 9th, 2020, 02:56 PM
I'm sure the news of RMU potentially leaving is not making the NEC happy. RMU just built that new arena which is the best facility in the NEC for hoops. RMU won the Men's and Women's NEC Title for basketball. Men during the tournament and Women during the regular (tournament cut short due to COVID). RMU Men's golf won NEC in 2019, was looking to repeat in 2020. Women's volleyball was great in regular season but upset in the conference tournament. RMU women's softball has been up and down over the years.
RMU football bounced back big time in 2019 and looking to win the conference in 2020. RMU men's and women's lacrosse is always in the top 4 battling.

And RMU/RMC is an OG NEC for football when it started in 1996. But now of that matters. It all about conferences, best about the schools.

If RMU receives an invite to HL and accepts, they won't be welcome in the NEC. Morris will put her foot down to make an example out of RMU like she did with Monmouth.

Exactly. It's not personal, it's business.

The NEC saw the writing on the wall when QU built their basketball/hockey facility. From Day 1, they were using the NEC as a stepping stone to a bigger profile conference.

UMBC took many in the NEC off guard. No one was expecting it and they didn't have a great basketball program or facility, but the Retrievers had a much shorter history with the NEC and were outside the core footprint.

When Monmouth joined Quinnipiac, many were shocked and hurt. Monmouth also had been a long-time member and had deep ties with Wagner, FDU, and others in the league. Everyone realized it was in their best interest (and they too built a great basketball facility), but there was no way they could let MU keep access to an football AQ bid that took decades to earn. The rest of the league just wasn't going to share that valuable asset with a program that took it basketball product away from us.

I imagine if RMU leaves, its a bad day at NEC HQ, but everyone will move on. No one is going to help RMU move out by offering a safety net for football. If they resign their membership, they have to have a football plan that doesn't include the NEC.

BigBlueMU
June 9th, 2020, 03:16 PM
It's easy, RMU can take Monmouth's spot in the BS when we move to CAA (just kidding...but seriously).

TheKingpin28
June 9th, 2020, 04:14 PM
Everything I've read says the Big South will take just about anyone within reason. It'd be more of a concern on RMU's side, given the travel. It's one game up north every other years for most of the Big South schools; it'd be 4 or so games per year down south for RMU.

Eventually, I'd have to believe the BS has some stability, and when that comes, RMU/Monmouth would be on the outside looking in.

I created an Excel spreadsheet as to what the FCS landscape could look like if a few changes were made. Some of them are unrealistic though, but I got every conference besides the SWAC to 9 teams, which was at 10.

TheKingpin28
June 9th, 2020, 04:16 PM
Exactly. It's not personal, it's business.

The NEC saw the writing on the wall when QU built their basketball/hockey facility. From Day 1, they were using the NEC as a stepping stone to a bigger profile conference.

UMBC took many in the NEC off guard. No one was expecting it and they didn't have a great basketball program or facility, but the Retrievers had a much shorter history with the NEC and were outside the core footprint.

When Monmouth joined Quinnipiac, many were shocked and hurt. Monmouth also had been a long-time member and had deep ties with Wagner, FDU, and others in the league. Everyone realized it was in their best interest (and they too built a great basketball facility), but there was no way they could let MU keep access to an football AQ bid that took decades to earn. The rest of the league just wasn't going to share that valuable asset with a program that took it basketball product away from us.

I imagine if RMU leaves, its a bad day at NEC HQ, but everyone will move on. No one is going to help RMU move out by offering a safety net for football. If they resign their membership, they have to have a football plan that doesn't include the NEC.

I wonder if they would extend YSU an offer to play football to potentially boost the "outlook" of the league and then in turn, possibly have a chance at a 2 bid league for football as a way to create division among the Horizon with YSU in the Horizon.

aceinthehole
June 9th, 2020, 04:36 PM
I wonder if they would extend YSU an offer to play football to potentially boost the "outlook" of the league and then in turn, possibly have a chance at a 2 bid league for football as a way to create division among the Horizon with YSU in the Horizon.

Interesting idea for Big South Football, but doubt it would happen:

---North---
Monmouth (NJ) - MAAC
Robert Morris (PA) - Horizon
Youngstown (OH) - Horizon
Hampton (VA) - Big South
NC A&T (NC) - Big South

---South---
Campbell (NC) - Big South
Gardner-Webb (NC) - Big South
Charleston Southern (SC) - Big South
Kennesaw State (GA) - Atlantic Sun
Northern Alabama (AL) - Atlantic Sun

10-teams, but play a 8-game schedule (4 in division and 4 cross-over). That leads to just 2 road games of more than 500 miles from outside of your division.

Original_RMC
June 9th, 2020, 04:51 PM

---North---
Monmouth (NJ) - MAAC
Hampton (VA) - Big South
NC A&T (NC) - Big South

---South---

10-teams, but play a 8-game schedule (4 in division and 4 cross-over). That leads to just 2 road games of more than 500 miles from outside of your division.

xawesomex

aceinthehole
June 9th, 2020, 05:09 PM

---North---
Monmouth (NJ) - MAAC
Youngstown (OH) - Horizon or NSU/NCCU/SCSU
Hampton (VA) - Big South
NC A&T (NC) - Big South

---South---

xawesomex

To be clear @O_RMC, I don't envision YSU leaving the MVFC for the Big South, but you could plug in Norfolk State/NC Central/SC State to follow Hampton and NCAT to leave the MEAC and get basically the same results.

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2020, 05:19 PM

---North---
Monmouth (NJ) - MAAC
Hampton (VA) - Big South
NC A&T (NC) - Big South

---South---

So the Aggies would have to fly to New York City or Pittsburgh yearly. I’d think this would be okay if we are able to play Campell and Gardner-Webb yearly.

But aside from a 4 team core of the NC and VA schools, we’d have up to 6 schools looking for greener and cheaper pastures. Perhaps we’d be better off with a conference reshuffling involving The Big South, RMU, Youngstown State, Elon (they’re looking to regionalize their athletic contest schedules) and the MEAC programs.

A reshuffling could look like this:

Conference A: Delaware State, Howard, Morgan, Monmouth, Robert Morris and Youngstown State

Conference B: Hampton, Norfolk St, NCAT, NCCU, Campbell, and Elon

Conference C: North Alabama, Kennesaw State, SC State, Charleston Southern, Gardner Webb and Bethune Cookman.

That could help everyone going into the new decade.

aceinthehole
June 9th, 2020, 05:42 PM
None of that works, because those three six-team conferences won't have an AQ. Any conference realignment has to maintain AQ status or its just not realistic.

Also, the bus rides between those proposed teams aren't awful. I'm not sure about NCAT, but I imagine most FCS programs in the East are busing to all football games up to about 500 miles. RMU already buses to all its NEC games, including the almost 600 miles, 9+ hours from to Smithfield, RI (Bryant). By comparison, RMU to NCAT is just over 400 miles.

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2020, 06:24 PM
None of that works, because those three six-team conferences won't have an AQ. Any conference realignment has to maintain AQ status or its just not realistic.

Also, the bus rides between those proposed teams aren't awful. I'm not sure about NCAT, but I imagine most FCS programs in the East are busing to all football games up to about 500 miles. RMU already buses to all its NEC games, including the almost 600 miles, 9+ hours from to Smithfield, RI (Bryant). By comparison, RMU to NCAT is just over 400 miles.

I believe if the reshuffling happens for football within the BS, MEAC and the UAC/CCSA, they’ll keep their autobids. I believe you’ll need 6 teams in your conference to maintain the autobid status within your conference.

Regarding travel, we fly to florida for games now in an effort to get kids back to campus with enough time to study and for class on Monday.

We’d probably fly to Pittsburgh if we’re ever in a conference with a team in that region.

Lion1983
June 9th, 2020, 06:27 PM
So the Aggies would have to fly to New York City or Pittsburgh yearly. I’d think this would be okay if we are able to play Campell and Gardner-Webb yearly.

But aside from a 4 team core of the NC and VA schools, we’d have up to 6 schools looking for greener and cheaper pastures. Perhaps we’d be better off with a conference reshuffling involving The Big South, RMU, Youngstown State, Elon (they’re looking to regionalize their athletic contest schedules) and the MEAC programs.

A reshuffling could look like this:

Conference A: Delaware State, Howard, Morgan, Monmouth, Robert Morris and Youngstown State

Conference B: Hampton, Norfolk St, NCAT, NCCU, Campbell, and Elon

Conference C: North Alabama, Kennesaw State, SC State, Charleston Southern, Gardner Webb and Bethune Cookman.

That could help everyone going into the new decade.

Elon wants out of the CAA??

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2020, 06:29 PM
Elon wants out of the CAA??

I don’t know but...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thetimesnews.com/sports/20200530/elon-moves-to-regionalize-scheduling-as-coronavirus-consideration%3ftemplate=ampart

Lion1983
June 9th, 2020, 09:03 PM
I don’t know but...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thetimesnews.com/sports/20200530/elon-moves-to-regionalize-scheduling-as-coronavirus-consideration%3ftemplate=ampart

That's interesting...

KPSUL
June 10th, 2020, 03:54 PM
I'm guessing that the author of the article is really only talking about the 2020 schedule, and even at that he obviously didn't research it adequately. Elon really doesn't need to put it's team on an airplane at all during the regular season. They play at home vs the two teams the greatest distance from Elon - New Hampshire and Rhode Island. They don't play Maine this season and never play Stony Brook or Albany due to the ban on NY State schools playing in the state of NC (Due to the bathroom gender bill). Their FBS game is vs. Duke, and their two OOC FCS games are vs. Citadel and Campbell. The farthest they travel is to Villanova and Delaware.

I don't think that Elon is unilaterally deciding to "regionalize" their 2020 football schedule, but I do think that the CAA is seriously looking at making schedule changes that will reduce long distance travel for all teams.

Sader87
June 11th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Just my opinion, but a league where not everyone plays one another every year is not truly a league.

There's been far too much expansion in this sense in college athletics which has led to leagues like Big 10, Big 12, A-10 etc all misnomers.

DFW HOYA
June 11th, 2020, 11:25 AM
Just my opinion, but a league where not everyone plays one another every year is not truly a league.

Well, the PL doesn't have to worry about this one.

No direction from the PL on growth and/or expansion means another year of a listless ship. And with FAMU's move, the PL will likely slip behind the SWAC on the conference standings.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-football-conference-rankings-entering-2019-season

Original_RMC
June 11th, 2020, 12:30 PM
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1271129553893810176?s=20

aceinthehole
June 11th, 2020, 12:38 PM
Somewhat shocked it is happening so soon, but I assume RMU knows what it is getting into.

For the 2020 football season, I could see most (but not necessarily all) NEC schools keeping RMU on the schedule; however it will be a non-league game and RMU has no access to the NEC AQ. Merrimack was/is on many NEC schedules, but that's isn't a conference game and the Warriors are ineligible during their D-I transition.

In other, somewhat related news, Goodman also tweeed that NJIT will join America East for the 2020-21 season. The ASUN Commissioner has tweeted back a denial and has said the rumor is inaccurate. More to come ...

WestCoastAggie
June 11th, 2020, 01:23 PM
Somewhat shocked it is happening so soon, but I assume RMU knows what it is getting into.

For the 2020 football season, I could see most (but not necessarily all) NEC schools keeping RMU on the schedule; however it will be a non-league game and RMU has no access to the NEC AQ. Merrimack was/is on many NEC schedules, but that's isn't a conference game and the Warriors are ineligible during their D-I transition.

In other, somewhat related news, Goodman also tweeed that NJIT will join America East for the 2020-21 season. The ASUN Commissioner has tweeted back a denial and has said the rumor is inaccurate. More to come ...

Something crazy is about happen with these conferences. Some crazy shuffling is about to ensue.

aceinthehole
June 11th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Robert Morris is scheduled to host the following NEC teams in 2020:

Saint Francis (Oct. 3)
Wagner (Oct. 24)
CCSU (Nov. 14)

If they do withdrawal from the NEC, I would hope that the CCSU administration would either 1) negotiate a payment for what would be a non-conf road game, or 2) demand 2 return trips to New Britain, if they want to keep the Blue Devils on the schedule in 2020.

I have no doubt the Home NEC teams would be more than willing to keep RMU on the schedule in 2020:

at Duquense (Oct. 10)
at LIU (Oct. 17)
at Bryant (Nov. 7)
at Sacred Heart (Nov. 21)

Original_RMC
June 11th, 2020, 02:04 PM
Robert Morris is scheduled to host the following NEC teams in 2020:

Saint Francis (Oct. 3)
Wagner (Oct. 24)
CCSU (Nov. 14)

If they do withdrawal from the NEC, I would hope that the CCSU administration would either 1) negotiate a payment for what would be a non-conf road game, or 2) demand 2 return trips to New Britain, if they want to keep the Blue Devils on the schedule in 2020.

I have no doubt the Home NEC teams would be more than willing to keep RMU on the schedule in 2020:

at Duquense (Oct. 10)
at LIU (Oct. 17)
at Bryant (Nov. 7)
at Sacred Heart (Nov. 21)
I go back to Monmouth's 2013 schedule when they were denied by the NEC to remain in the league.
They played everyone in the NEC except CCSU. I wonder if CCSU tried what you suggested with Monmouth, Monmouth said 'No'
I see in 2013 CCSU played Salve Regina while Monmouth had a Bye Week on October 26th.

If Noreen Morris allows RMU to stay in the NEC for football and Lacrosse for 2020 then no issues. But I'm sure there is a 99.9% chance of being denied.
So I think RMU will keep it's current schedule with no issue. If CCSU presented those options to RMU then perhaps RMU would drop CCSU from its schedule.

aceinthehole
June 11th, 2020, 02:17 PM
I go back to Monmouth's 2013 schedule when they were denied by the NEC to remain in the league.
They played everyone in the NEC except CCSU. I wonder if CCSU tried what you suggested with Monmouth, Monmouth said 'No'
I see in 2013 CCSU played Salve Regina while Monmouth had a Bye Week on October 26th.

If Noreen Morris allows RMU to stay in the NEC for football and Lacrosse for 2020 then no issues. But I'm sure there is a 99.9% chance of being denied.
So I think RMU will keep it's current schedule with no issue. If CCSU presented those options to RMU then perhaps RMU would drop CCSU from its schedule.

Agreed. Again, as I said before - this is business, not personal.

With all the COVID uncertainly this year, I'd be more than willing to have CCSU drop a 8+ hour bus ride in November to Moon Township for a non-conf football game. Honestly, I would actually prefer that. Saves some $$$ and headache for us. CCSU isn't getting an at-large, so any playoff appearance runs through a NEC schedule.

RMU was considered the preseason #1 in men's basketball for 2020-21, so again dropping them from NEC play isn't much of a hardship for CCSU and the rest of the NEC. The league will still have 10 members, allowing a 18-game full round robin schedule. Again, it avoids an awful bus ride from Connecticut to "the Moon" (although we will still have to trek out to Loretto).

RMU doesn't play baseball and won't be missed much in soccer. Certainly, the loss the NEC Men's Lax is big - but CCSU doesn't sponsor that sport, so I can care less.

Like I said, I will miss RMU for nostalgia purposes (CCSU beat RMU at Trenton in 2000 for our first NCAA appearance in men's basketball) and the Colonials have had some very good hoops teams, but CCSU and most NEC fans will get over it very quickly. The exceptions might be Mt. St. Mary's and SFU - although I expect both teams to remain on your non-conference schedules for years to come.

Wish RMU the best of luck in the Horizon and wherever their football team winds up.

Laker
June 11th, 2020, 02:18 PM

Have you heard about any official announcement yet or will they wait for next week?

Original_RMC
June 11th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Have you heard about any official announcement yet or will they wait for next week?

I have not heard anything yet. I'm sure the athletic department and president are very busy at the moment so not sure reaching out at this moment is the smart choice.
Perhaps they are hoping to make one huge Athletic announcement that covers the (potential) move to the Horizon League and future state for other sports outside of the Horizon League.

aceinthehole
June 11th, 2020, 05:14 PM
The Colonials football team is expected to move to the Big South Conference, according to multiple Pittsburgh Sports Now sources, though details with that move have not yet been completed. Much like when Monmouth left the NEC in 2013, the NEC did not want to keep RMU as an affiliate member for football.

Robert Morris has already released its 2020 football schedule, with non-conference games against Bowling Green, Dayton and VMI in addition to its NEC opponents. PSN could not confirm the timeframe for football to make the switch and it’s possible the 2020 season could be played in the NEC or as an independent.

The Big South will also be a step up in competition for RMU football. The conference was ranked eighth amongst FCS leagues by Athlon Sports in 2019, two up from the No. 10 NEC. The conference plays at the FCS 63-scholarship maximum, 18 more than the NEC’s 45-scholarship limit.

Compared to the Horizon League and the NEC, it is a worse fit geographically. Robert Morris will join Monmouth in New Jersey, Hampton in Virginia, Campbell and Gardner-Webb in North Carolina, Charleston Southern in South Carolina, Kennesaw State in Georgia and North Alabama. North Carolina A&T is slated to join the conference in 2021.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06/11/robert-morris-to-join-horizon-league-in-most-sports/

WestCoastAggie
June 12th, 2020, 09:58 AM
The Colonials football team is expected to move to the Big South Conference, according to multiple Pittsburgh Sports Now sources, though details with that move have not yet been completed. Much like when Monmouth left the NEC in 2013, the NEC did not want to keep RMU as an affiliate member for football.

Robert Morris has already released its 2020 football schedule, with non-conference games against Bowling Green, Dayton and VMI in addition to its NEC opponents. PSN could not confirm the timeframe for football to make the switch and it’s possible the 2020 season could be played in the NEC or as an independent.

The Big South will also be a step up in competition for RMU football. The conference was ranked eighth amongst FCS leagues by Athlon Sports in 2019, two up from the No. 10 NEC. The conference plays at the FCS 63-scholarship maximum, 18 more than the NEC’s 45-scholarship limit.

Compared to the Horizon League and the NEC, it is a worse fit geographically. Robert Morris will join Monmouth in New Jersey, Hampton in Virginia, Campbell and Gardner-Webb in North Carolina, Charleston Southern in South Carolina, Kennesaw State in Georgia and North Alabama. North Carolina A&T is slated to join the conference in 2021.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06/11/robert-morris-to-join-horizon-league-in-most-sports/

The Big South Football is about to have 9 members in 2021. That’s a perfect number.

reeder
June 12th, 2020, 10:50 AM

I’m still trying to understand how this helps financially. I’m sure there are non financial benefits but i don’t understand this in the current environment- I’m sure that I’m missing something.

Robert Morris had financial issues before Covid 19 and with Covid 19, the issue is worse. I believe the NEC is still capped at 45 scholarships - so do they add 18 more join the Big South for football? The Horizon League schools aren’t quite as far from Pittsburgh as the NEC schools but many are still a relatively long bus trip (Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis). Are they replacing some flights with bus trips?

I’d understand it if football was going to the Pioneer league or being eliminated but if that’s not the case, I’m just not clear on why make any moves given their financial situation.

aceinthehole
June 12th, 2020, 11:42 AM
I’m still trying to understand how this helps financially. I’m sure there are non financial benefits but i don’t understand this in the current environment- I’m sure that I’m missing something.

Robert Morris had financial issues before Covid 19 and with Covid 19, the issue is worse. I believe the NEC is still capped at 45 scholarships - so do they add 18 more join the Big South for football? The Horizon League schools aren’t quite as far from Pittsburgh as the NEC schools but many are still a relatively long bus trip (Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis). Are they replacing some flights with bus trips?

I’d understand it if football was going to the Pioneer league or being eliminated but if that’s not the case, I’m just not clear on why make any moves given their financial situation.

For football, there may be 1 or 2 longer trips that add a flight cost, but scholarship are the same - it is just an accounting issue.

NEC allows up to 45 athletic scholarships (merit based) and up to 18 grant-in-aid (need based), so they have the same cost in the Big South, just more flexibility in how they offer aid to student athletes. Assuming RMU currently fully funds scholarships and grants to be eligible for FBS games as a NEC member, there is no increase playing in the Big South.

In other sports, the bus trips are generally shorter for the majority of Horizon League opponents. It probably isn't a cost saving, but a time savings when looked at multiple sports across men's and women's teams for a year. And remember RMU only play 3 men's sports in the Horizon League - Football, Ice Hockey, and MLax are not HL sponsored sports.

DFW HOYA
June 12th, 2020, 11:52 AM
So is the Big South now a more desirable move than the Patriot League? Or is its "don't call us, we'll call you" approach writing off everybody?

Original_RMC
June 12th, 2020, 11:59 AM
So is the Big South now a more desirable move than the Patriot League? Or is its "don't call us, we'll call you" approach writing off everybody?

That's a great question. I had always thought that if RMU was to leave the NEC for another conference then the Patriot would be a conference to consider. Perhaps they did consider the Patriot league as a potential spot as a full time member. But we know how quick PL fans are to turn away from any school/fans showing interesting (see Monmouth). And while the Big South is not official for RMU, perhaps they did talk with PL and maybe they didn't want RMU as an associate member. Who knows.

aceinthehole
June 12th, 2020, 12:30 PM

I think the answer is obvious - its both.

First, as you and others have said, the PL doesn't want anyone not named Villanova, W&M, or Richmond. I'm sure you can expand that list to other lower division schools, if they were willing to reclassify, such as Johns Hopkins, etc. The PL is a like an exclusive country club and they don't hand out applications, you must be sponsored by existing members, period. The club must maintain its academic superiority because that is the brand and all it has to offer.

Second, when push comes to shove, the Big South is a much better option than the Patriot for Monmouth and Robert Morris football due to the lack of AI. Let's be honest, both MU and RMU would actually prefer the NEC status quo over both the Patriot and Big South - and that is important to note for football purposes. However, by withdrawing their full membership from the NEC and the negative effect that has on its members, they just can't allow affiliate membership - it undermines the stability of the remaining NEC member and other sports.

DFW HOYA
June 12th, 2020, 12:43 PM

First, as you and others have said, the PL doesn't want anyone not named Villanova, W&M, or Richmond. I'm sure you can expand that list to other lower division schools, if they were willing to reclassify, such as Johns Hopkins, etc. The PL is a like an exclusive country club and they don't hand out applications, you must be sponsored by existing members, period. The club must maintain its academic superiority because that is the brand and all it has to offer.

Had the PL not been forced to add a school when Towson left, I sometimes question if Georgetown would even have been considered. If Rev. Brooks was still at Holy Cross, he would have probably voted no.

But the brand isn't what those inside the Greater Allentown-Easton metropolitan area think it is, not anymore.

aceinthehole
June 12th, 2020, 12:52 PM
Had the PL not been forced to add a school when Towson left, I sometimes question if Georgetown would even have been considered. If Rev. Brooks was still at Holy Cross, he would have probably voted no.

But the brand isn't what those inside the Greater Allentown-Easton metropolitan area think it is, not anymore.

Georgetown would be a welcome addition to NEC Football :)

I doubt that the GU administration and most Hoya fans would welcome such a change in change in affiliation and scenery, however it would bring a real "Catholic" flavor to your schedule - Duquesne, Saint Francis, Sacred Heart, and Merrimack, plus trips to NYC (Wagner) for general alumni/recruiting purposes. Only Bryant and CCSU would tarnish your league slate. ;)

Original_RMC
June 12th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Georgetown would be a welcome addition to NEC Football :)

I doubt that the GU administration and most Hoya fans would welcome such a change in change in affiliation and scenery, however it would bring a real "Catholic" flavor to your schedule - Duquesne, Saint Francis, Sacred Heart, and Merrimack, plus trips to NYC (Wagner) for general alumni/recruiting purposes. Only Bryant and CCSU would tarnish your league slate. ;)

True. I always thought Georgetown would fit nicely in the NEC for football. Bring that old school MAAC into the league with the Dukes and Hoyas.

Sader87
June 12th, 2020, 12:59 PM
Let's be honest, outside of a smattering of leagues, the FCS leagues/conferences make little or no sense in general.

FCS-level football is mostly like the A-10 in hoop....jamming in schools that have little or no relation to one another.

TheKingpin28
June 12th, 2020, 03:19 PM
Let's be honest, outside of a smattering of leagues, the FCS leagues/conferences make little or no sense in general.

FCS-level football is mostly like the A-10 in hoop....jamming in schools that have little or no relation to one another.Except the Big Sky (sans Cal-Poly and UC Davis), SoCon, Southland, Ohio Valley, Patriot (sans USMA schools), Ivy, MEAC, SWAC, and NEC. So only 9 conferences that make sense with the CAA, Big South, MVFC, and Pioneer being a hodgepodge of teams. Once again, your apathy of FCS has failed you.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

aceinthehole
June 12th, 2020, 03:51 PM
This is more or less what I predicted ... no NEC team is trecking out to Moon Township without $$$ or future home games. I fully expect CCSU and Wagner to look elsewhere for a replacement. Merrimack is not an NEC scheduled game, so I'm sure that is covered by a separate game contract between the two schools.

It appears that Robert Morris is on track to play football in 2020 as an independent as the conference moves through a multi-league transition as part of a decision to leave the Northeast Conference.

RMU is set to join the Horizon League in most sports, with an announcement expected early next week. The Horizon League does not sponsor football, so the gridiron Colonials will need a different new home.

That is expected to be the Big South, but with the move to leave the NEC taking place in advance of the 2020-21 athletics season and most 2020 football schedules already made, it would be difficult if not impossible for the Colonials to make the jump to the Big South for 2020.

Instead, it appears more likely that they will play as an independent while retaining most of their pre-existing schedule, though some changes should be expected.

The home conference games are the most likely ones to cause sticking points with RMU playing as an independent.

Pittsburgh Sports Now has confirmed through a Duquesne source that RMU’s game scheduled for Oct. 10 at Duquesne is still on, despite the Colonials leaving the conference.

More about rivalry with DUQ at https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/06/12/robert-morris-duquesne-football-on-for-2020-future-uncertain/

Sader87
June 12th, 2020, 06:03 PM
Except the Big Sky (sans Cal-Poly and UC Davis), SoCon, Southland, Ohio Valley, Patriot (sans USMA schools), Ivy, MEAC, SWAC, and NEC. So only 9 conferences that make sense with the CAA, Big South, MVFC, and Pioneer being a hodgepodge of teams. Once again, your apathy of FCS has failed you.

Many of the FCS leagues have no real commonality.....institutionally/geographically etc....I'd say the Patriot, Ivy and the HCBU leagues do...outside of those, it's a stretch for many.

DFW HOYA
June 12th, 2020, 06:35 PM
Many of the FCS leagues have no real commonality.....institutionally/geographically etc....I'd say the Patriot, Ivy and the HCBU leagues do...outside of those, it's a stretch for many.

I appreciate your loyalty to the PL but the league continues to slowly fade into the sunset. Unless it's Lehigh and Lafayette, people don't pay attention.

Lehigh'98
June 12th, 2020, 07:06 PM
I appreciate your loyalty to the PL but the league continues to slowly fade into the sunset. Unless it's Lehigh and Lafayette, people don't pay attention.

The PL has dug it’s own grave trying to be an off brand Ivy League. It could easily be a solid conference if not for needless self imposed restrictions.

ElCid
June 12th, 2020, 07:39 PM

Well that is just a weird view. How about long association? Of the 9 teams in the SOCON, which is fairly common geographically, 6 have 40+ years in the conference. That's historic commonality if nothing else. And while Wofford and Mercer have only recently joined in comparison, they have playing history with many SOCON teams dating back to the early 1900s. As far as institutional commonality, there is a good balance between public, public/military, and private. I kind of like that in regard to preventing too much one dimensional thinking. And it has pretty much always been a mix. Getting back to geography, the only real outliers we have are Samford in Birmingham and VMI up in the Shenandoah. And even they don't have too long a haul to most other teams. Most all other schools are very easy drives between them. I can probably guarantee you that driving from Birmingham to Lexington takes less time than driving from Worcester to DC. No, the SOCON has many commonalities.

Sader87
June 12th, 2020, 11:17 PM

I have no great love for the PL as many know on CROSSPORTS (HC message board).....but it does have an overiding principle of like-minded schools playing in the same league.

No one really pays attention to FCS football outside of the die-hards here and a few outlier schools/regions that don't have FBS schools in their region.

A lot of FCS leagues are cobbled together to continue to just have a D1 football program/league....with no real commonality historically/institutionally/geographically amongst the schools in said league.

bluedog
June 13th, 2020, 09:35 AM
The Big South could be an option if the UAC ever formulates. But, the MEAC will need football members and the Celebration Bowl hasn’t been renewed past this season.The celebration bowl contract isn't up until next year. There's no urgent need to renew it ahead of schedule.

WestCoastAggie
June 13th, 2020, 09:43 AM
The celebration bowl contract isn't up until next year. There's no urgent need to renew it ahead of schedule.

Umm... The Celebration Bowl contract ends this year after the 2020 iteration.

bluedog
June 13th, 2020, 09:48 AM
Umm... The Celebration Bowl contract ends this year after the 2020 iteration.Hmm....okay I thought it was next year

aceinthehole
June 14th, 2020, 12:41 PM
Press conference on Monday @ 1pm to make it official - RMU to Horizon. I assume they will also address football for the 2020 season and beyond.

Original_RMC
June 14th, 2020, 01:33 PM
😉

DFW HOYA
June 14th, 2020, 02:27 PM
I have no great love for the PL as many know on CROSSPORTS (HC message board).....but it does have an overiding principle of like-minded schools playing in the same league.

Five like minded schools with no further aspirations of national prominence, and two schools with no place else to go. This as much as anything, keeps the PL immune from expansion.

WestCoastAggie
June 14th, 2020, 02:30 PM
Five like minded schools with no further aspirations of national prominence, and two schools with no place else to go. This as much as anything, keeps the PL immune from expansion.

This sounds like the MEAC. 👀

NY Crusader 2010
June 14th, 2020, 08:43 PM

Second, when push comes to shove, the Big South is a much better option than the Patriot for Monmouth and Robert Morris football due to the lack of AI. Let's be honest, both MU and RMU would actually prefer the NEC status quo over both the Patriot and Big South - and that is important to note for football purposes. However, by withdrawing their full membership from the NEC and the negative effect that has on its members, they just can't allow affiliate membership - it undermines the stability of the remaining NEC member and other sports.

Nailed it across the board. The idea of RMU to the PL wouldn't have been seriously considered by either party, and for good reason. Being a fan of the Patriot League is like owning stock in Ford Motor Company. There will be slight ups and slight downs, times with good dividend payouts and times where they're cut, but your never going to have the potential upside of an upstart like Tesla nor will you worry about the company not existing tomorrow.

Overall, the Patriot League isn't a bad place to be for those "in the club". If someone leaves, there will be a scramble to find a replacement. Other than that, I don't think anyone is asking in nor are we looking for suitors. Maybe we take Villanova's temperature in 2030 to see where they're at as far as vision for football.

aceinthehole
June 15th, 2020, 12:19 PM
RMU just announced the change in affiliation from the NEC to the Horizon League.

They will make an announcement regarding football at 2:00 pm today
https://www.rmu.edu/athletics

TheKingpin28
June 15th, 2020, 12:24 PM
RMU just announced the change in affiliation from the NEC to the Horizon League.

They will make an announcement regarding football at 2:00 pm today
https://www.rmu.edu/athletics

Big South adds another football team. They have a done a good job of adding schools to get rid of a massive OOC schedule.

Starting in 2021, they will have a full conference schedule.

Campbell
CSU
GWU
Hampton

KSU
Monmouth
UNA

NCAT
RMU

bluedog
June 15th, 2020, 12:49 PM
Big South adds another football team. They have a done a good job of adding schools to get rid of a massive OOC schedule.

Starting in 2021, they will have a full conference schedule.

Campbell
CSU
GWU
Hampton

KSU
Monmouth
UNA

NCAT
RMUI thought he said the Horizon League?

POD Knows
June 15th, 2020, 12:51 PM
I thought he said the Horizon League?Horizon League is a BB league.

bluedog
June 15th, 2020, 12:59 PM
Horizon League is a BB league.That isn't what I ask?

TheKingpin28
June 15th, 2020, 12:59 PM
I thought he said the Horizon League?Horizon does not support Football so they will be an affiliate in that conference.

bluedog
June 15th, 2020, 01:02 PM
Horizon does not support Football so they will be an affiliate in that conference.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkGot ya! I just read a report that says it hasn't been made clear as to how it effects football yet.

https://triblive.com/sports/robert-morris-officially-joins-horizon-league/

aceinthehole
June 15th, 2020, 01:04 PM
I thought he said the Horizon League?

Horizon doesn't sponsor football - in fact, only 3 of RMU's 6 men's teams will actually play in the Horizon League (Men's Soccer, Men's Basketball, and Men's Golf).

Football is joining the Big South; Men's Ice Hockey will remain in Atlantic Hockey; and Men's Lacrosse is still looking for a home.

TheKingpin28
Got ya! I just read a report that says it hasn't been made clear as to how it effects football yetFrom what I've seen, the Big South is where they are going since that is the only conference who has been in desperate need for football members and with Monmouth already in the conference, teams would still only have to travel "north" once a season.

Original_RMC
https://rmucolonials.com/news/2020/6/15/football-rmu-to-join-big-south-as-associate-member.aspx

aceinthehole
June 15th, 2020, 01:11 PM
The Colonials will compete as an independent during the 2020 campaign.

Only one question - what changes will RMU have to make to their previously scheduled football games with NEC teams?

aceinthehole
June 15th, 2020, 01:19 PM
BobbyMo announces future FBS guarantee games at Central Michigan, Miami (OH), Air Force, West Virginia.

TheKingpin28
June 15th, 2020, 01:24 PM
I do not think it can be understated how lucky RMU is that Presbyterian went to the Pioneer for football. I think RMU ends up as an Indy due to this since no other conference would have worked. CAA is full with 12 teams, NEC wants nothing to do with them now, they are not to high and mighty for the Patriot League, MVFC does not want to add another team that far east, and the OVC is too far south. Maybe this will allow, as I stated earlier, YSU to jump into the NEC to try and sow division on the Horizon end.

aceinthehole
June 15th, 2020, 01:33 PM
I do not think it can be understated how lucky RMU is that Presbyterian went to the Pioneer for football. I think RMU ends up as an Indy due to this since no other conference would have worked. CAA is full with 12 teams, NEC wants nothing to do with them now, they are not to high and mighty for the Patriot League, MVFC does not want to add another team that far east, and the OVC is too far south. Maybe this will allow, as I stated earlier, YSU to jump into the NEC to try and sow division on the Horizon end.

YSU doesn't work for the NEC and vice-versa.

The NEC has 8 teams and will likely look to the MEAC for possible football affiliates/new members or they will offer D-II (New Haven) a spot to fill out the ranks. Again, the loss of RMU doesn't hurt the league too much and takes away a long bus ride. Its's a bruise to our ego - but has minimal operational impacts. The addition of Merrimack as a full member and LIU football allows the NEC to move on without much issues.

Honestly, I really like the 7-game NEC schedule and am in no rush to find another school. We now have 4 non-conference games annually to schedule, which provides CCSU the flexibility to pick up another guarantee game (FBS or FCS) and we have more than enough schools in the area to bus to for a home/home deal.

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2020, 01:39 PM
BobbyMo announces future FBS guarantee games at Central Michigan, Miami (OH), Air Force, West Virginia.

Georgetown's future opponents are left to Brown, Marist, and a Division III school. Go figure. xbangx

TheKingpin28
June 15th, 2020, 02:05 PM

The NEC has 8 teams and will likely look to the MEAC for possible football affiliates/new members or they will offer D-II (New Haven) a spot to fill out the ranks. Again, the loss of RMU doesn't hurt the league too much and takes away a long bus ride. Its's a bruise to our ego - but has minimal operational impacts. The addition of Merrimack as a full member and LIU football allows the NEC to move on without much issues.

Honestly, I really like the 7-game NEC schedule and am in no rush to find another school. We now have 4 non-conference games annually to schedule, which provides CCSU the flexibility to pick up another guarantee game (FBS or FCS) and we have more than enough schools in the area to bus to for a home/home deal.

I think you missed my point. I was not asking for you to take them, I am telling you to take them. :D You would be doing The Valley a solid on that front by eliminating that outlier in the conference.

That said, I would think you would want a full 8 game slate with 3 OOC game? 1 pay day game, 1 "winnable" game, and 1 "gimme" game.

WestCoastAggie
June 15th, 2020, 02:56 PM

The 8-game conference schedule is better. I also believe a school in the MEAC could accept an invitation to join the NEC.

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2020, 03:00 PM
The 8-game conference schedule is better. I also believe a school in the MEAC could accept an invitation to join the NEC.

The MEAC could lose a Del State to the NEC and still stay afloat. Losing Howard or NCCU to another conference might be too much to overcome.

bluedog
June 15th, 2020, 03:06 PM
The MEAC could lose a Del State to the NEC and still stay afloat. Losing Howard or NCCU to another conference might be too much to overcome.I don't see any good reason for any of them to leave at this point.

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2020, 03:12 PM
I don't see any good reason for any of them to leave at this point.

Probably too late at this point, but conference moves tend to take place in June to give one year's notice. If we're still talking about moves in the MEAC next year, that's a sign of trouble.

Anthony215
June 15th, 2020, 03:17 PM
I don't see any good reason for any of them to leave at this point.

Only reason to jump ship for Del State would be to find a conference home in case the MEAC folded, in that case they may think its better to be proactive early looking for a home rather than wait and have to decide to either play independently or drop down to D2. Realistically the NEC wouldn't gain anything competitively from DSU as both Men's Basketball and football have been at the bottom of the MEAC. Howard has put together a couple of ok years football wise and have made investment into their basketball programs along with having a larger brand to market. I'd prefer them staying in the MEAC and getting maybe Coppin State to step their club team up to intercollegiate. Makes the conference football wise more regional as the teams would be mostly DMV schools with the 1 NC and 1 SC school.

WestCoastAggie
June 15th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Probably too late at this point, but conference moves tend to take place in June to give one year's notice. If we're still talking about moves in the MEAC next year, that's a sign of trouble.

Delaware State has a BOT meeting next week with Athletics on their agenda. They had athletics on their agenda every BOT meeting this year so nothing may come from it, but still.

Anthony215
June 15th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Delaware State has a BOT meeting next week with Athletics on their agenda. They had athletics on their agenda every BOT meeting this year so nothing may come from it, but still.

I'm certain they will have talks of contingency plans for conference affiliation if the MEAC folds but the more pressing topic will be fall athletics and how to keep them going in the pandemic. They don't draw well for football so social distancing shouldn't be an issue at games minus homecoming that normally has 3500+ in their 5000 seat stadium.

Professor
June 15th, 2020, 03:36 PM
Big South football members in 2021
Campbell
Charleston Southern
Gardner-Webb
Hampton
Kennesaw State
Monmouth
North Alabama
N.C. A&T

- - - Updated - - -

Have to announce by 6/30

kdinva
June 15th, 2020, 07:40 PM
Robert Morris FB will join Big South for 2021 season......other sports to the Horizon.

https://rmucolonials.com/news/2020/6/15/football-rmu-to-join-big-south-as-associate-member.aspx

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200615153319943021704&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Will be classified at FB Indy this Fall

Anthony215
June 16th, 2020, 07:12 AM
Big South football members in 2021
Campbell
Charleston Southern
Gardner-Webb
Hampton
Kennesaw State
Monmouth
North Alabama
N.C. A&T

- - - Updated - - -

Have to announce by 6/30

Based off geography I can't see why the league wouldn't think to invite a combo of Norfolk/NC Central even if it's just for football to keep a reasonable league geographical footprint in place. Outside of Monmouth, RMU and UNA all the other schools are within a reasonable bus ride from one another especially if you include NSU and NC Central.

aceinthehole
June 16th, 2020, 09:33 AM
I just don't see any way that RMU keeps its 2020 home games vs. CCSU and Wagner. I don't think either team wants to bus out to Moon Township for a non-conference game and I don't see how Robert Morris can find room for a return trip to NY/CT in their future schedules.

In 2021 and 2022, RMU already has 10 of 11 games committed (8 Big South games and 2 non-conference). That is why in the press conference the AD, hinted the Duquesne rivalry might have have a brief hiatus. I imagine RMU scheduling priorities are guarantee games and home/away deals with local rivals such as Duquesne, Dayton, and Saint Francis. There is no need for future trips to New Britain or Staten Island.

Non-Conf (5 games)

Independent (11 games)

Non-Conf (3 games)

Non-Conf (3 games)

Kentucky State (D-II)

@ Buffalo (FBS)
@ Bowling Green (FBS)
@ Central Michigan (FBS)
@ Miami-Ohio (FBS)

Dayton (Pioneer)
@ Dayton (Pioneer)

@ Youngstown State (MVFC)

@ VMI (SoCon)
VMI (SoCon)

Merrimack (Ind)

@ Morehead State (Pioneer)
Morehead State (Pioneer)

NEC (7 games)

Bryant
@ Bryant (NEC)

Duquesne
@ Duquesne (NEC)

Long Island
@ Long Island (NEC)

Sacred Heart
@ Sacred Heart (NEC)

@ Central Conn.
Central Conn. (NEC)

@ Saint Francis
Saint Francis (NEC)

@ Wagner
Wagner (NEC)

Big South (8 games)
Big South (8 games)

Campbell
Campbell

Charleston Southern
Charleston Southern

Gardner-Webb
Gardner-Webb

Hampton
Hampton

Kennesaw State
Kennesaw State

Monmouth
Monmouth

North Alabama
North Alabama

North Carolina A&T
North Carolina A&T

Professor
June 16th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Based off geography I can't see why the league wouldn't think to invite a combo of Norfolk/NC Central even if it's just for football to keep a reasonable league geographical footprint in place. Outside of Monmouth, RMU and UNA all the other schools are within a reasonable bus ride from one another especially if you include NSU and NC Central.

It's no need you have 9 Football schools. So that is 8 Conference games and 3 OOC games. Now if someone leaves then maybe.

aceinthehole
June 16th, 2020, 11:18 AM

We can use Monmouth as an example, however there were a few differences, most importantly they only had a 5-game Big South schedule in 2014. RMU will have an 8-game Big South schedule starting in 2021.

Monmouth:

Non-Conf (3 games)
Independent (11 games)
Non-Conf (6 games)

Rhode Island (CAA)

@ Cornell (Ivy)
Cornell (Ivy)

@ Lehigh (Patriot)
Lehigh (Patriot)
@ Lehigh (Patriot)

@ Columbia (Ivy)
Columbia (Ivy)

@ Holy Cross (Patriot)

@ Montana State (Big Sky)

Delaware State (MEAC)

NEC (8 games)

Bryant
@ Bryant (NEC)

Central Conn.

Sacred Heart
@ Sacred Heart (NEC)

Saint Francis
@ Saint Francis (NEC)

@ Albany

@ Duquesne
Duquesne (NEC)
@ Duquesne (NEC)

@ Robert Morris
Robert Morris (NEC)
@ Robert Morris (NEC)

@ Wagner
@ Wagner (NEC)
Wagner (NEC)

Big South (5 games)

Charleston Southern

Coastal Carolina

Gardner-Webb

@ Liberty

@ Presbyterian

• Monmouth kept games with 6 of the 7 NEC teams in 2013 – they did not travel to CCSU as scheduled and Albany left for the CAA.
• Monmouth’s trips to Sacred Heart and Saint Francis in 2013 were not returned by either team.
• Duquesne and Robert Morris did agree to travel to Monmouth in 2013 and Monmouth returned home games to those schools in 2014.
• Monmouth agreed to play at Staten Island in 2013 for the second year in a row, but Wagner did return a game to Monmouth in 2014.

ColonialInsider
June 16th, 2020, 04:56 PM
I just don't see any way that RMU keeps its 2020 home games vs. CCSU and Wagner. I don't think either team wants to bus out to Moon Township for a non-conference game and I don't see how Robert Morris can find room for a return trip to NY/CT in their future schedules.

In 2021 and 2022, RMU already has 10 of 11 games committed (8 Big South games and 2 non-conference). That is why in the press conference the AD, hinted the Duquesne rivalry might have have a brief hiatus. I imagine RMU scheduling priorities are guarantee games and home/away deals with local rivals such as Duquesne, Dayton, and Saint Francis. There is no need for future trips to New Britain or Staten Island.

Non-Conf (5 games)

Independent (11 games)

Non-Conf (3 games)

Non-Conf (3 games)

Kentucky State (D-II)

@ Buffalo (FBS)
@ Bowling Green (FBS)
@ Central Michigan (FBS)
@ Miami-Ohio (FBS)

Dayton (Pioneer)
@ Dayton (Pioneer)

@ Youngstown State (MVFC)

@ VMI (SoCon)
VMI (SoCon)

Merrimack (Ind)

@ Morehead State (Pioneer)
Morehead State (Pioneer)

NEC (7 games)

Bryant
@ Bryant (NEC)

Duquesne
@ Duquesne (NEC)

Long Island
@ Long Island (NEC)

Sacred Heart
@ Sacred Heart (NEC)

@ Central Conn.
Central Conn. (NEC)

@ Saint Francis
Saint Francis (NEC)

@ Wagner
Wagner (NEC)

Big South (8 games)
Big South (8 games)

Campbell
Campbell

Charleston Southern
Charleston Southern

Gardner-Webb
Gardner-Webb

Hampton
Hampton

Kennesaw State
Kennesaw State

Monmouth
Monmouth

North Alabama
North Alabama

North Carolina A&T
North Carolina A&T

I think the games that might be at risk for 2020 are CCSU, Wagner, and Sacred Heart. CCSU and Wagner may balk at travel to Moon, and in return, RMU may put its foot down and say that the trek out to Fairfield one last time just isn't worth it.

The question is what would replace those games for any of the teams involved. It may have to be D2 or D3 opponents who had their schedules changed by the pandemic. They're the only ones who would likely be willing to give NEC teams home games, especially with RMU losing two home games from CCSU and Wagner.

ColonialInsider
June 16th, 2020, 04:58 PM
I think the games that might be at risk for 2020 are CCSU, Wagner, and Sacred Heart. CCSU and Wagner may balk at travel to Moon, and in return, RMU may put its foot down and say that the trek out to Fairfield one last time just isn't worth it.

The question is what would replace those games for any of the teams involved. It may have to be D2 or D3 opponents who had their schedules changed by the pandemic. They're the only ones who would likely be willing to give NEC teams home games, especially with RMU losing two home games from CCSU and Wagner.
Add Bryant to that list, too. Overlooked that one, which is the longest trip in the NEC (besides what Merrimack would be) for RMU.

aceinthehole
June 16th, 2020, 05:26 PM
RMU is in a tight spot here and will have to do a lot of work to keep an 11 game schedule.

Don't forget @LIU. :)

With the COVID situation looming, I have no doubt that these 5 NEC teams (Bryant, CCSU, LIU, SHU, and Wagner) would be satisfied with dropping RMU from the schedule and playing just 10 games in 2020. These teams will all remain eligible for the AQ by winning the NEC.

CCSU also lost a home game to Valpo and is down to 9 games, but I have it on very good authority that CCSU is NOT taking that road trip. Central is looking for at least 1 game now, but will make do with a 9-game schedule and AQ access in 2020.

If RMU isn't willing to bus out to the NEC schools, they probably won't be able to keep those games on the schedule. Is RMU willing/able to find 5 new opponents this fall or are a few farewell trips to NEC campuses worth it? All D-II teams are playing one less games this year and so I doubt RMU is able to find replacement games there. That could mean that RMU is potentially facing a 6 game schedule.

ColonialInsider
June 16th, 2020, 06:13 PM
RMU is in a tight spot here and will have to do a lot of work to keep an 11 game schedule.

Don't forget @LIU. :)

With the COVID situation looming, I have no doubt that these 5 NEC teams (Bryant, CCSU, LIU, SHU, and Wagner) would be satisfied with dropping RMU from the schedule and playing just 10 games in 2020. These teams will all remain eligible for the AQ by winning the NEC.

CCSU also lost a home game to Valpo and is down to 9 games, but I have it on very good authority that CCSU is NOT taking that road trip. Central is looking for at least 1 game now, but will make do with a 9-game schedule and AQ access in 2020.

If RMU isn't willing to bus out to the NEC schools, they probably won't be able to keep those games on the schedule. Is RMU willing/able to find 5 new opponents this fall or are a few farewell trips to NEC campuses worth it? All D-II teams are playing one less games this year and so I doubt RMU is able to find replacement games there. That could mean that RMU is potentially facing a 6 game schedule.
I think RMU is OK with the LIU trip. There are options for NYC travel, at least, from chartered buses to even flying. It's the Connecticut schools and Bryant that get cumbersome, just as it is for them to go out to Moon or Loretto. I think RMU would like to play at least 10 games and at least 4 at home. If it can maintain as much of the NEC schedule as possible, that would make it easier, but I don't think they're willing to get bent over a barrel on their way out the door in the NEC, either.

There are a couple candidates to pick up games. Future Big South opponent Hampton has just 10 games and has an opening Sept. 26, which is a bye for RMU right now. Fordham has 11 games, but one of them is to Hawaii. Will that continue? Maybe RMU picks up CCSU's dropped game against Valpo, since Valpo is a lot closer to Moon. There might be other games being canceled, too. The admin seems confident that it's going to have some Plan B options, but probably not a ton. I'd imagine some decisions need to be made in the next couple of weeks.

aceinthehole
June 16th, 2020, 06:49 PM
I think RMU is OK with the LIU trip. There are options for NYC travel, at least, from chartered buses to even flying. It's the Connecticut schools and Bryant that get cumbersome, just as it is for them to go out to Moon or Loretto. I think RMU would like to play at least 10 games and at least 4 at home. If it can maintain as much of the NEC schedule as possible, that would make it easier, but I don't think they're willing to get bent over a barrel on their way out the door in the NEC, either.

There are a couple candidates to pick up games. Future Big South opponent Hampton has just 10 games and has an opening Sept. 26, which is a bye for RMU right now. Fordham has 11 games, but one of them is to Hawaii. Will that continue? Maybe RMU picks up CCSU's dropped game against Valpo, since Valpo is a lot closer to Moon. There might be other games being canceled, too. The admin seems confident that it's going to have some Plan B options, but probably not a ton. I'd imagine some decisions need to be made in the next couple of weeks.

Yes, some very interesting weeks ahead for the ADs to adjust football schedule.

I agree that the CT-RI trips to/from Moon are cumbersome, but RMU was already scheduled and committed to play at Bryant, at SHU, and at LIU this season, so I would be really surprised if RMU backed out of those games - especially since they will have a lot more trouble finding multiple replacements this year. Of course, there are a lot of moving parts everywhere, so it may be worth it to drop Bryant and SHU, especially if the AD has no plans for future non-conference games in football (or other sports) with them.

RMU might be able to get Valpo to bus to Joe Walton Stadium and replace CCSU on the Nov. 14 date. And Hampton may have a date that matches up, but that's a just as long as a trip to/from RMU-SHU.

If Fordham doesn't make the trip to Hawaii they will have open dates on Sep. 12 and 19, which matches with a CCSU open date on 9/19 to replace the Valpo game. RMU already has games on 9/12 (Bowling Green) and 9/19 (Dayton) which they won't want to lose so I just don't see RMU-Fordham next season from that scenario.

Now I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities out there and I'm very interested to see how this works out for everyone.

The other challenge for everyone is COVID and its impact on FCS this year is totally unknown. So in some ways that may help everyone be happy with a 10 game schedule as they all try to reduce risks, travel, and expenses.

Anthony215
June 17th, 2020, 07:08 AM
I'm not understanding why teams would not want to play RMU on the road. Western Pa for the most part has had minimal cases compared to SE Pennsylvania, if it's the long road trip, they've done it all these years one last year wouldn't hurt. If the goal is to fight for the AQ spot within conference why would you risk playing one less game? If teams are willing to go into NYC for Wagner and LIU knowing how high that area numbers have been they shouldn't complain or pull out of the trip to Moon.

aceinthehole
June 17th, 2020, 08:12 AM
I'm not understanding why teams would not want to play RMU on the road. Western Pa for the most part has had minimal cases compared to SE Pennsylvania, if it's the long road trip, they've done it all these years one last year wouldn't hurt. If the goal is to fight for the AQ spot within conference why would you risk playing one less game? If teams are willing to go into NYC for Wagner and LIU knowing how high that area numbers have been they shouldn't complain or pull out of the trip to Moon.

The primary reason that NEC don't want to travel to Moon this year is more basic - RMU left the conference. Because of their location away from most NEC teams, the cost of the road game is certainly not worth it especially under the current COVID situation. Why risk a bus trip and an overnight hotel stay in 2020, when playing just 10 games isn't much of a hardship? NEC teams remain eligible for the AQ without having to play RMU.

Football teams generally only play ROAD games under two circumstances. 1) Promise of return game(s), or 2) Cash payments. What is willing to RMU offer these NEC schools for a home game in 2020?

Under normal circumstances the games would simply be returned as a conference game the following season, but since RMU has withdrawn from the NEC they no longer are bound to provide a return game. Therefore, as a non-conference match-up, RMU must be able to offer the visiting NEC teams some kind of payment or a return game.

This is the business side of college sports. You don't get something for nothing and right now the NEC schools have something RMU wants in 2020 - football games.

DFW HOYA
June 17th, 2020, 09:22 AM
Football teams generally only play ROAD games under two circumstances. 1) Promise of return game(s), or 2) Cash payments. What is willing to RMU offer these NEC schools for a home game in 2020?

Some do it to fill out a schedule, too. Games with Georgetown at two NEC schools were not returned for a game in Washington: Sacred Heart in 2010, St. Francis in 2015.

ngineer
June 17th, 2020, 10:33 PM
If the PL folks can't take a hard swallow on Monmouth for football-only; no disrespect, but RMU isn't getting a second look from Center Valley.Yes, geographically, it would be on the fringe of travel ability. No one really closer than 3-4 hours (Bucknell), everyone else further away, and HC, Colgate and Gtown would have real hikes. Aside from that, the 'academic profile' is very important to the PL Presidents (though they made an exception with Towson years ago, but that was for a temporary holding pattern).

WestCoastAggie
June 18th, 2020, 07:54 AM
Yes, geographically, it would be on the fringe of travel ability. No one really closer than 3-4 hours (Bucknell), everyone else further away, and HC, Colgate and Gtown would have real hikes. Aside from that, the 'academic profile' is very important to the PL Presidents (though they made an exception with Towson years ago, but that was for a temporary holding pattern).

Has the PL spoken with Howard yet?

Original_RMC
June 18th, 2020, 08:08 AM
The primary reason that NEC don't want to travel to Moon this year is more basic - RMU left the conference. Because of their location away from most NEC teams, the cost of the road game is certainly not worth it especially under the current COVID situation. Why risk a bus trip and an overnight hotel stay in 2020, when playing just 10 games isn't much of a hardship? NEC teams remain eligible for the AQ without having to play RMU.

Under normal circumstances the games would simply be returned as a conference game the following season, but since RMU has withdrawn from the NEC they no longer are bound to provide a return game. Therefore, as a non-conference match-up, RMU must be able to offer the visiting NEC teams some kind of payment or a return game.

This is the business side of college sports. You don't get something for nothing and right now the NEC schools have something RMU wants in 2020 - football games.

I agree to this statement to some degree. When you normally schedule non-conference games against similar like conferences then you expect those home and home match-ups. Playing against larger FCS, not so much.
RMU attempted to remain in the NEC as an associate member for football and lacrosse. They tried to work with the NEC but much like the NEC did with Monmouth, they wanted nothing to do with RMU. So that option was removed from the table. It was a business decision made by the NEC.
With the NEC adding Merrimack and LIU, it leaves SFU and RMU on the outside in Western PA looking in. And every smaller conference like the NEC always has rumors of school wanting to grow their athletic department.
Wagner, CCSU, Bryant...etc. They all want bigger platforms for some of their top tier sports that perhaps isn't football.

I think RMU's Plan B is just a reaction plan. If CCSU drops the game because of travel then no big deal for either program. Just an extra bye week.

But if others do the same and don't want to travel to RMU then I'm sure RMU will see if they can fill in the holes.

aceinthehole
June 18th, 2020, 09:56 AM
I think RMU's Plan B is just a reaction plan. If CCSU drops the game because of travel then no big deal for either program. Just an extra bye week.

But if others do the same and don't want to travel to RMU then I'm sure RMU will see if they can fill in the holes.

I agree with you, but I also think that means RMU must be committed to making those road trips to NY, CT, and RI as planned this year. To be clear, the real "decision" on the RMU-NEC games for 2020 rests on what the AWAY team is willing to do. This is how I see this playing out right now:

Opponent decides and RMU reacts

Oct. 3, SFU at RMU: Red Flash will take the short bus ride (no overnight required) and both sides agree to keep this game on the schedule.
Oct. 24, WAG at RMU: If the Seahawks agree, the game stands - but I expect Wagner will want a future return game or some payment to offset this travel and overnight stay.
Oct. 31, MC at RMU: I think this game is covered by a non-conference contract and MC would be required to travel. If this is a NEC arraigned game, MC may have the option to decline.
Nov. 14, CCSU at RMU: Central is not travelling to RMU without a deal - likely this game is cancelled.

I know the CCSU game is at risk, but I also think the Wagner game may be ultimately cancelled too. RMU could lose 2 or 3 games right here.

RMU decides and opponents react

Oct. 1, RMU at DUQ: The Colonials will take the short bus ride (no overnight required) and keep this game on the schedule
Oct. 17, RMU at LIU: If the Colonials are willing to travel, Long Island will keep the game.
Nov. 7, RMU at BRY: If the Colonials are willing to travel, Bryant will keep the game.
Nov. 21, RMU at SHU: If the Colonials are willing to travel, Sacred Heart will keep the game.

These games are not at risk of cancellation unless RMU is unwilling to travel as scheduled. Based on possibility of already losing 2 games (CCSU and Wagner) on the schedule, I assume RMU will play the games as scheduled. I don't think RMU will be able to find enough replacement games to risk not taking these road trips.

Original_RMC
June 18th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Like it has been said before. RMU is not going to pay Wagner or CCSU to play a home game. I would be shocked if RMU did that. And I would be shocked if Wagner and CCSU took that stance. NEC teams should already have their football budgets in place for travel which includes bus, hotel and food. Sure it one less big road trip for the team and staff. This game could be used to play younger talent? If the team is not going to win the NEC then build for 2021? And why take a game away from the players/seniors? Give them one last chance to play RMU in football.
The original 5 to start NEC football in 96; CCSU, Monmouth, RMU, SFU and Wagner. Monmouth is gone, RMU is leaving.

I know Monmouth still plays Wagner on their schedule probably due to their relationship and distance. I'm sure RMU will attempt to do the same with the Dukes in the coming years as stated by RMU on Monday.
And I just read that CCSU is playing at Monmouth in 2025.

I think after the announcement this week, Chris King (RMU's AD) would be calling CCSU and Wagner to get confirmation on their status for their scheduled games.

WestCoastAggie
June 18th, 2020, 11:16 AM
To be honest, it’s looking more likely that no one on the FCS level or lower will be playing football this fall.

DFW HOYA
June 18th, 2020, 12:02 PM
To be honest, it’s looking more likely that no one on the FCS level or lower will be playing football this fall.

That's a blanket statement. Why?

WestCoastAggie
June 18th, 2020, 12:15 PM
That's a blanket statement. Why?

Multiple games canceled on top of increasing covid-19 cases going into the summer aren’t a good barometer at this point.

Anthony215
June 18th, 2020, 01:33 PM

If that is such the case wouldn't you think it would make it more plausible for all student athletes to not return the fall semester and save that year of eligibility just in case the NCAA decides to count their enrollment towards their eligibility clock. They may have mercy on the senior classes but if my son was a incoming freshman and knowing how unpredictable the NCAA is I would consider delaying his enrollment at least until January. I'm starting to agree with you I don't think outside of FBS games there will be a college football season. If that is the case the HS recruiting class of 2021 will definitely feel the effects with teams having considerably less scholarships to pass out with returning seniors who were to leave in 2020 playing out their final year of eligibility.