PDA

View Full Version : Troy Andersen sitting out 2020

Schism55
June 3rd, 2020, 11:39 AM
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1268214373589245952

Welp, that isn't going to help ye olde Bobcats.

100%GRIZ
June 3rd, 2020, 11:45 AM
Probably a good move on his part. Resting the body for a year will possibly help him get to the NFL!

Herdistheword
June 3rd, 2020, 12:51 PM
This is actually pretty smart considering how much of a wrench COViD-19 has put into everything. He probably has a better chance to improve his draft stock in 2021, assuming the NFL is the goal here.

Professor Chaos
June 3rd, 2020, 03:01 PM
He'll get his 4 games strategically utilized so he won't truly be sitting out. It'll be interesting to see when they use him and if they're confident enough to save his 4 games for the playoffs.

TheKingpin28
June 3rd, 2020, 03:27 PM
He'll get his 4 games strategically utilized so he won't truly be sitting out. It'll be interesting to see when they use him and if they're confident enough to save his 4 games for the playoffs.

I would guess they will use him for the Brawl and if healthy enough, maybe the EWU game. Their schedule is not friendly this year though:

@Montana
@EWU
@Weber St
@Utah

By choosing to use him for Brawl and potentially EWU, they would most likely have to then choose which two or three playoff games they want to use him in.

Redbird 4th & short
June 3rd, 2020, 07:41 PM
Any chancehe is setting this up for grad transfer and they're just helping him achieve this, or hoping they can convince him to stay ?

Catbooster
June 3rd, 2020, 07:58 PM
I don't have any confidential info, but I'd be very surprised if he went somewhere else.

Catbooster
June 4th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Due to a number of things (primarily Covid surgery shut-down, quarantine, etc.) his surgery ended up getting moved back about 3 months. Doctors say recovery puts him at the end of the season instead of only missing a little at the beginning of the season. If he plays at all, it sounds like there won't be much choice about games as it may take a good run in the playoffs for him to be able to get 4 games. But doctors can only estimate recovery - maybe he'll rehab ahead of schedule.

I'm hoping they don't try to push it and he doesn't play at all so that he has over a year to recover/rehab. But Troy doesn't like missing games. He will probably be trying to get the coaches to let him in for his 4 games.

Professor Chaos
June 4th, 2020, 10:51 AM
Due to a number of things (primarily Covid surgery shut-down, quarantine, etc.) his surgery ended up getting moved back about 3 months. Doctors say recovery puts him at the end of the season instead of only missing a little at the beginning of the season. If he plays at all, it sounds like there won't be much choice about games as it may take a good run in the playoffs for him to be able to get 4 games. But doctors can only estimate recovery - maybe he'll rehab ahead of schedule.

I'm hoping they don't try to push it and he doesn't play at all so that he has over a year to recover/rehab. But Troy doesn't like missing games. He will probably be trying to get the coaches to let him in for his 4 games.
I see, makes sense why they would take a redshirt year then. Even if he was projected to be back in say mid-October he'd already have missed over half the season. So they're trading in a half season (at best) of a recently rehabbed Troy Anderson in 2020 for presumably a full season of a fully recovered Troy Anderson in 2021. The 4 game rule probably made that decision even easier.

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2020, 11:29 AM

Here is why playing even 2-3 games at the end of the year would be huge for his NFL stock. I already considered him a late round or PFA prospect projection at this point. This injury takes him out of the draft for right now because you don't know where he will be yet. With that said, if he can play even a couple games he will have the chance to show on the field that he is healthy and it is not effecting his play. NFL teams will have 2021 film to use to update his scouting report from this spring when they did their initial reports. It would allow Troy to show updated film along with those good medical results. If he does not play any games then teams have to go off 2019 film only and will have to play the wait and see game on his injury status and make sure he is back to normal. I'm not saying that missing the entire 2020 season kills his chances but playing a couple games would give him a huge advantage in that there will be recent film for scouts to evaluate. I sure hope he gets healthy by early November and MSU wins a couple playoff games so he has the chance to impress teams. They will be coming to Montana State anyway in 2020 so adding some game film to seeing his medical rehab and possibly some practices would be very good for him.

cx500d
June 4th, 2020, 11:31 AM
Any chancehe is setting this up for grad transfer and they're just helping him achieve this, or hoping they can convince him to stay ?
Seems like this happened not too long ago

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2020, 11:44 AM

There is really no point in transferring up once you are on the NFL radar. MSU is a frequent stop for NFL teams and Andersen was already on the list that the combine sent to all the clubs not long ago as a legit prospect. Andersen is a good player who can get to a good all-star game and get drafted from right where he is now.

Professor Chaos
June 4th, 2020, 11:45 AM
There is really no point in transferring up once you are on the NFL radar. MSU is a frequent stop for NFL teams and Andersen was already on the list that the combine sent to all the clubs not long ago as a legit prospect. Andersen is a good player who can get to a good all-star game and get drafted from right where he is now.
Tell Jabril Cox that ;)

TheKingpin28
June 4th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Tell Jabril Cox that ;)

Beat me to it.

Only reason I could think otherwise, he is betting on himself and knows that if he shines at LSU he is getting that promised 1st round money vs the hope he gets 1st round money.

100%GRIZ
June 5th, 2020, 08:43 AM
Interesting that on egriz that Troy is not interested in going to the NFL & may just go back to the family ranch near Dillon!

MSUBobcat
June 5th, 2020, 11:28 AM
Interesting that on egriz that Troy is not interested in going to the NFL & may just go back to the family ranch near Dillon!

Even if it came straight from Troy's mouth, if he has a solid 2021 (and possibly a game or 3 in 2020) and is getting serious draft looks...... what college football player doesn't at least take his shot?

JALMOND
June 5th, 2020, 11:29 AM
Andersen is a good player who can get to a good all-star game and get drafted from right where he is now.

But why settle for "good" when you can be great. If by transferring out of Montana State for the exposure and competition offered at a Pac-12 school (Utah maybe) could vault Andersen to a fourth round pick instead of a seventh round if he stayed, why would he not transfer. Constant success against the likes of Oregon and Washington goes further than success against Idaho State.

TheKingpin28
June 5th, 2020, 12:16 PM
Even if it came straight from Troy's mouth, if he has a solid 2021 (and possibly a game or 3 in 2020) and is getting serious draft looks...... what college football player doesn't at least take his shot?

This.

Get your money, and go live the life you always wanted. When you have a bank account with 7 figures, you can go live on the ranch and financially not worry about it. Why would someone pass up a few years of Pro football for a lifetime of peace of mind?

TheKingpin28
June 5th, 2020, 12:18 PM
But why settle for "good" when you can be great. If by transferring out of Montana State for the exposure and competition offered at a Pac-12 school (Utah maybe) could vault Andersen to a fourth round pick instead of a seventh round if he stayed, why would he not transfer. Constant success against the likes of Oregon and Washington goes further than success against Idaho State.

Or you could go the Dakota Prukop route and completely bust out and never see the NFL field.

Catbooster
June 5th, 2020, 01:21 PM
Or you could go the Dakota Prukop route and completely bust out and never see the NFL field.
I was thinking along the same line - although in fairness to Dakota, as I understood it Oregon was so crappy early on that the coach decided to develop their young QB rather than play a 1 year transfer in a season that was going nowhere. Dakota didn't play badly.

But that just emphasizes the risk of transferring - even if you can play well enough there are circumstances beyond your control that may make it a worse situation.

TheKingpin28
June 5th, 2020, 01:48 PM
I was thinking along the same line - although in fairness to Dakota, as I understood it Oregon was so crappy early on that the coach decided to develop their young QB rather than play a 1 year transfer in a season that was going nowhere. Dakota didn't play badly.

But that just emphasizes the risk of transferring - even if you can play well enough there are circumstances beyond your control that may make it a worse situation.

All of that said, if you can play, the NFL will take note.

It's why I question why Jabril Cox left. I get that he wants to be assured 1st round money, but if plays happen away from you and your measurables stack up, they will find you and they will draft you. But as we see, if you play like hot garbage against better competition, you just ensured your demise.

It's like this: Be assured 2 million dollars or risk that and turn that into an assured 20 million dollars. Hard to fault someone who bets on themselves, but you'll always be kicking yourself that you threw away multi 7 figures to increase your payout by 10x.

dewey
June 5th, 2020, 10:03 PM
This.

Get your money, and go live the life you always wanted. When you have a bank account with 7 figures, you can go live on the ranch and financially not worry about it. Why would someone pass up a few years of Pro football for a lifetime of peace of mind?

This right here! Plus he has to chance to set up his family (kids and potentially grandkids) for many years.

Dewey

MayorOfHenTown
June 6th, 2020, 07:48 AM
This right here! Plus he has to chance to set up his family (kids and potentially grandkids) for many years.

Dewey

Agreed here.

smallcollegefbfan
June 6th, 2020, 09:51 AM
Tell Jabril Cox that ;)

He did not need to transfer for the NFL. I mean we just saw a former unranked TE from D3 Saint John's go in the 4th round!!! Hobart never had a player drafted until they had a 2nd round pick.

Now, if Cox wanted to fulfill a dream of playing in the SEC and prove to himself that he can then I would commend the transfer.

smallcollegefbfan
June 6th, 2020, 09:53 AM

He could go in the 3rd or 4th round from any school. What you just posted made it sound like he has to transfer to improve his stock but we see FCS players go in the 2nd or 3rd round all the time. NDSU QB Wentz was a 1st round pick. Alabama State had an OT taken in the 1st round as well. Saint John's and Lenoir-Rhyne just had players drafted and we have seen it happen from Mt Union, Hobart, and many other random schools. The bottom line here is that if you can play the NFL will find you. You don't have to move up to improve your stock.

smallcollegefbfan
June 6th, 2020, 09:55 AM

What if Cox struggled in camp early on and LSU starts their freshman 5-star instead of him? I don't think that will happen but there is a chance. I believe Cox should have gone to Kansas State. He would not have been screwed there and would have film against Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas, etc type schools and fulfill his dream of playing P5 ball.

Redbird 4th & short
June 7th, 2020, 06:44 AM

oh, that completely changes things .. I didn't know he even had surgery, much less that his surgery/recovery was pushed back 3 months.

So now this makes a lot more sense that he would sit out ... i.e. play just 4 games. One .. it lowers expectations/pressure to return too soon. But just as importantly to his NFL prospects .. if he simply struggles to get back to 100%. He would have another year to prove himself.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2020, 07:37 AM
oh, that completely changes things .. I didn't know he even had surgery, much less that his surgery/recovery was pushed back 3 months.

So now this makes a lot more sense that he would sit out ... i.e. play just 4 games. One .. it lowers expectations/pressure to return too soon. But just as importantly to his NFL prospects .. if he simply struggles to get back to 100%. He would have another year to prove himself.

Hopefully he gets back to 100% but I doubt it.

NDSUs LB a few years ago, Nick DeLuca, was a beast and quick. Tore his meniscus and was never the same. Before surgery, I figured he'd play years in the NFL but he was noticeably slower after his injury. Bounced around on some practice squads. That lost quickness and burst really impacted his NFL potential.

Catbooster
June 8th, 2020, 03:14 PM

Dewey
I agree, but we all have different goals.

As I recall, Caleb Schreibeis, Buck Buchanan winner from MSU didn't pursue any offers to consider the NFL. I don't know if he'd have made it, but I think there was some interest in him.

He just took his Diploma and went to work. Of course, his degree was engineering. And you know how much more prestigious that is than being an NFL player. Way more fame, money and women. xcoffeex xsmiley_wix