PDA

View Full Version : Athlon Sports Preseason Top 25

Schism55
June 2nd, 2020, 02:03 PM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2020

ElCid
June 2nd, 2020, 07:36 PM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2020

Wofford could always surprise, but to just say that they have been decimated, would be kind. Not sure they did a lot of research on that one.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2020, 07:20 AM
Wofford could always surprise, but to just say that they have been decimated, would be kind. Not sure they did a lot of research on that one.

We should know a lot more about Wofford in Week 1. They are a bit of an enigma at this point, but they'll go on the road to the SoCon favorite to begin the season. That game should pull back the curtain a bit on what to expect from the Terriers in 2020.

Edit: I had also forgotten Wofford plays the Citadel in Week 2 (I have no idea why the SoCon created that schedule). So, after two weeks Wofford will either be in fantastic playoff position with their two toughest games behind them, or we won't talk about them the rest of the season.

ElCid
June 3rd, 2020, 07:48 AM
We should know a lot more about Wofford in Week 1. They are a bit of an enigma at this point, but they'll go on the road to the SoCon favorite to begin the season. That game should pull back the curtain a bit on what to expect from the Terriers in 2020.

Edit: I had also forgotten Wofford plays the Citadel in Week 2 (I have no idea why the SoCon created that schedule). So, after two weeks Wofford will either be in fantastic playoff position with their two toughest games behind them, or we won't talk about them the rest of the season.

To be honest I haven't analyzed our schedule very much. I like it! The combination of opponents either H/A, and their current strength, is perfect.

The entire conf schedule the last few years is somewhat odd. The occasional early conf game is ok, but we, as a conf with certain teams moreso, have had bunches. I know the OOC and especially the money games drive this, but it makes me cringe a bit to see the number of conf games we have in the first three weeks.

Daytripper
June 3rd, 2020, 10:15 AM
I think 16 is fair for Sam Houston. We should have a very good defense, as our full d-line is returning and we have a very experienced secondary. The key to our success on offense depends on the health of QB Eric Schmid. If he stays upright and healthy, we could see the Bearkats return to the playoffs and possibly make a deep run.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2020, 10:33 AM
To be honest I haven't analyzed our schedule very much. I like it! The combination of opponents either H/A, and their current strength, is perfect.

The entire conf schedule the last few years is somewhat odd. The occasional early conf game is ok, but we, as a conf with certain teams moreso, have had bunches. I know the OOC and especially the money games drive this, but it makes me cringe a bit to see the number of conf games we have in the first three weeks.

I get that the SoCon is hamstrung somewhat by the ooc schedule and working around those games. Still, I don't think it would have been too complicated to not have Wofford play their biggest rivals and arguably the biggest SoCon games of the year in the first two weeks of the season.

Baron Sardonicus
June 3rd, 2020, 01:23 PM
Austin Peay State University 13th...my, how times have changed.

caribbeanhen
June 3rd, 2020, 11:13 PM
all these Polls are the same...... The Bison and 24 Miracles

MayorOfHenTown
June 5th, 2020, 03:50 PM
all these Polls are the same...... The Bison and 24 Miracles

You got that right!

DEX
June 6th, 2020, 06:07 PM
A&T not even ranked?

UNH72Plus
June 7th, 2020, 02:56 PM
Assuming there will be a season, UNH at #15 is probably reasonable, coming off a strange year where the D was strong, O was anemic, and the competition was strong. They're still a young team with only 8 seniors on the roster and a bevy of young and hopefully talented RFr (26) and true Fr (30). There are some significant holes to fill at WR (Malik Love), RB (Evan Gray), DB (Isaiah Perkins & Pop Lacey), and LB, but they also have some talented players who had significant playing time at those positions, a quality transfer LB from Navy, and four returning players who sat out last year after being suspended. True sophomore QB Max Brosmer showed some great talent starting 10 games as a freshman and he has some solid targets to throw to at WR and RB. The lack of experience at TE is a little worrisome with 5 or 6 candidates battling for playing time who together have only a handful of receptions. Two excellent RBs, Carlos Washington and Dylan Laube, should get most of the carries, but there are several underclassmen who could step in and contribute. The offensive line is seasoned and should help bring the offense back to it's usual strength, and the defense looks to continue to show the strength it had last year. Coach Mac is back after a one year hiatus for cancer treatment and last year's interim Ricky Santos is still with the team. Finally, the schedule looks a bit easier this year, after last year playing FBS FIU and 4 FCS tournament teams, including #2 JMU.