PDA

View Full Version : Florida A&M BOT expected to vote on plan to leave MEAC for SWAC

superman7515
June 1st, 2020, 01:38 PM
https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/01/famu-plans-to-leave-meac-for-swac/

ASU33
June 1st, 2020, 01:53 PM
School 1 of 2. Expect another school to announce a move to the SWAC in the next month.

katss07
June 1st, 2020, 01:59 PM
School 1 of 2. Expect another school to announce a move to the SWAC in the next month.
Bethune? South Carolina State?

ASU33
June 1st, 2020, 02:02 PM
Bethune? South Carolina State?

Tennessee State

Professor
June 1st, 2020, 02:24 PM
Tennessee State

Sounds like the wagons are circling

Professor
June 1st, 2020, 02:26 PM
Hmmm does the MEAC hold with the schools they have or does the Big South gain more members?

aggie2039
June 1st, 2020, 02:30 PM
I can see at the least NCCU moving, dont know if SCSU fits the academic profile. If BS gained SCSU and NCCU it would make the conf a lot stronger in football and basketball. At the FCS level the BS would be the premiere conf in football and basketball from GA to VA.

KSU would be a fool to leave the BS in football...they would have at least 3 selllouts per year and real football rivalries.

WileECoyote06
June 1st, 2020, 02:35 PM
We gotta do what we need to do to survive. But I am not a fan of joining the Big South at this time.

Derby City Duke
June 1st, 2020, 02:36 PM
Sounds like the wagons are circling

Wonder if the OVC would consider KSU as a replacement for TSU?

ElCid
June 1st, 2020, 02:37 PM
Sounds like MEAC is in trouble. Is it rats leaving a sinking ship or normal periodic realignment at play here? Hard to believe that after a few go that the rest might not try to find more stable homes. The BS will get a much needed booster shot at stability if another one or two jump.

aggie2039
June 1st, 2020, 02:45 PM
Sounds like MEAC is in trouble. Is it rats leaving a sinking ship or normal periodic realignment at play here? Hard to believe that after a few go that the rest might not try to find more stable homes. The BS will get a much needed booster shot at stability if another one or two jump.

The MEAC has been in trouble, the conf has a large geographic footprint..the schools waste money travelling from up and down the east coast. See FAMUs brief below.

http://www.famu.edu/BOT/Athletics%20BOT%20June%20Presentation_Conf_Final_. pdf

ElCid
June 1st, 2020, 03:07 PM
The MEAC has been in trouble, the conf has a large geographic footprint..the schools waste money travelling from up and down the east coast. See FAMUs brief below.

http://www.famu.edu/BOT/Athletics%20BOT%20June%20Presentation_Conf_Final_. pdf

Actually, it looks like someone is pushing this hard, but the presentation of the travel times is a bit disingenuous. They used one way travel times for SWAC and round trip times for MEAC. Makes it look better for the SWAC obviously, if you are not reading the fine print. Long travel in some cases, for both conferences. Way too spread out.

aggie2039
June 1st, 2020, 03:21 PM
Actually, it looks like someone is pushing this hard, but the presentation of the travel times is a bit disingenuous. They used one way travel times for SWAC and round trip times for MEAC. Makes it look better for the SWAC obviously, if you are not reading the fine print. Long travel in some cases, for both conferences. Way too spread out.

ElCid,
That is one way travel time for the MEAC too.

Professor
June 1st, 2020, 03:37 PM
From what i hear, FAMU will be in the SWAC East.

They will be playing Alabama A&M and Alabama State which is the next state over and then Jackson and MVSU. Rumblings is that Alcorn will move to the West.

FAMU is banking on those crowds. And i agree. Their attendence is going to skyrocket

dgtw
June 1st, 2020, 03:44 PM
Wonder if the OVC would consider KSU as a replacement for TSU?

I would love for that to happen and that would be my first call if I am the OVC commissioner. My next call is Chattanooga or UNA.

But I am not the OVC commissioner. The actual OVC commissioner will find some non-football school I have never heard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2020, 04:07 PM
I would love for that to happen and that would be my first call if I am the OVC commissioner. My next call is Chattanooga or UNA.

But I am not the OVC commissioner. The actual OVC commissioner will find some non-football school I have never heard of.

LOL!

ASU33
June 1st, 2020, 04:11 PM
From what i hear, FAMU will be in the SWAC East.

They will be playing Alabama A&M and Alabama State which is the next state over and then Jackson and MVSU. Rumblings is that Alcorn will move to the West.

FAMU is banking on those crowds. And i agree. Their attendence is going to skyrocket

They're moving Valley to the West from what I've seen.

GAD
June 1st, 2020, 04:16 PM
For non-revenue sports they would likely only have to travel as far as Mississippi, the SWAC has an East/West division

dbackjon
June 1st, 2020, 04:21 PM
BTW FAMU - it's fan APATHY. Not fan empathy

katss07
June 1st, 2020, 04:34 PM
Tennessee State
That’s an interesting one, why would TSU leave the OVC? It definitely fits their geographic footprint better (Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri sounds a lot better than Texas and Louisiana travel wise). Plus, seems like the OVC is in a much better position than the SWAC when it comes to competitiveness across sports. Maybe I’m wrong...

Obviously the HBCU connection helps, but I can’t see why Tennessee State would join the SWAC.

favorite football fan
June 1st, 2020, 04:41 PM
Bethune-Cookman is a logical choice because of the Florida Classic that is played in Orlando. Historic rivalry.

ASU33
June 1st, 2020, 04:41 PM
That’s an interesting one, why would TSU leave the OVC? It definitely fits their geographic footprint better (Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri sounds a lot better than Texas and Louisiana travel wise). Plus, seems like the OVC is in a much better position than the SWAC when it comes to competitiveness across sports. Maybe I’m wrong...

Obviously the HBCU connection helps, but I can’t see why Tennessee State would join the SWAC.

Travel wise it makes sense to stay in the OVC. I know that TSU fans and alumni have been clamoring for a move to the SWAC or MEAC for years. That'll give TSU some HUGE games and would give them a nice sized spike in attendance.

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 1st, 2020, 04:43 PM

The SWAC generates way more money.

GAD
June 1st, 2020, 04:44 PM

Being in the OVC is killing off their fan base

ASU33
June 1st, 2020, 04:47 PM
Being in the OVC is killing off their fan base

You ain't lying. They show up in Memphis for the Southern Heritage Classic and the HBCU game and then after that they're done for the year.

Professor
June 1st, 2020, 04:53 PM

Revenue

GAD
June 1st, 2020, 05:02 PM
The SWAC generates way more money.
What's up V?
This will rekindle some great old rivalrys

ElCid
June 1st, 2020, 05:02 PM
ElCid,
That is one way travel time for the MEAC too.

Ok, I didn't see that most of the SWAC times were flight times. I looked at it too fast. I was going by milage and time only. They did mostly flights for SWAC and I believe all bus for MEAC. So yeah, it's less time, but that then begs another question ... about cost......? Not sure the travel is going to save them much $. They could easily fly to many MEAC sites as well. Maybe cheaper. I don't know.

ASU33
June 1st, 2020, 05:19 PM
Correction: Rumors are that South Carolina State not Tennessee State has will receive an invite.

dgtw
June 1st, 2020, 05:30 PM
Correction: Rumors are that South Carolina State not Tennessee State has will receive an invite.

What would be your preference?

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2020, 05:39 PM

SC State can’t afford it but the alternatives aren’t better if they want to remain D1 and get those checks from Clemson and South Carolina.

ASU33
June 1st, 2020, 05:48 PM

Good question...……….let me think and get back to you.

dbackjon
June 1st, 2020, 05:53 PM

That would really stretch the footprint

ASU33
June 1st, 2020, 06:09 PM

Tennessee State

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2020, 06:26 PM
That would really stretch the footprint

They would tell the Big Sky to “Hold My Beer!” if that happens.

bonarae
June 1st, 2020, 06:54 PM
Well...

Do you think this will start the end of the MEAC as we know it?

dbackjon
June 1st, 2020, 06:57 PM
They would tell the Big Sky to “Hold My Beer!” if that happens.

We do it because there aren't any other schools out west.

Lion1983
June 1st, 2020, 07:25 PM
The Big South is about to get what they can out of the MEAC in the Big South footprint... the MEAC is about to fold in my opinion. Those who dont find a suitable D1 conference will move to D2.

I was told this was about to happen. Its partly why the ASUN is splitting and forming the UAC. If the Big South takes the MEAC football schools in their footprint, that means pretty much all of UNA and KSUs travel games will be in Carolinas, Virginia, DC and New Jersey. Not very feasible for them, when everyone else only has potential 2 games out of their tight aren when playing on the road.

ElCid
June 1st, 2020, 07:56 PM
The Big South is about to get what they can out of the MEAC in the Big South footprint... the MEAC is about to fold in my opinion. Those who dont find a suitable D1 conference will move to D2.

I was told this was about to happen. Its partly why the ASUN is splitting and forming the UAC. If the Big South takes the MEAC football schools in their footprint, that means pretty much all of UNA and KSUs travel games will be in Carolinas, Virginia, DC and New Jersey. Not very feasible for them, when everyone else only has potential 2 games out of their tight aren when playing on the road.

Unless they split ti into two "divisions." A north one and a south one with only two games against the other division. One home and one away each year. That would limit travel. Still, you would have to split up the NC schools between north and south. Interesting situation. I am pretty sure that none of the current MEAC or BS schools would be invited to the SOCON at this point. Besides, I like 9 teams. Makes scheduling easy. By my count their could be 15 in an expanded BS. Unless some schools just drop down. It would give Monmouth some closer travel games as well. The outliers would be UNA and B-C.

DFW HOYA
June 1st, 2020, 08:12 PM

Makes more sense, but Bethune Cookman is now on an island.

Lion1983
June 1st, 2020, 08:23 PM
Makes more sense, but Bethune Cookman is now on an island.

Why wouldnt the SWAC extended an invitation for Bethune Cookman?

DFW HOYA
June 1st, 2020, 08:38 PM
Why wouldnt the SWAC extended an invitation for Bethune Cookman?

Bethune Cookman is financially unstable and is using state emergency COVID-19 funding to avoid the risk of losing accreditation.

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/us-public-finance/fitch-maintains-bethune-cookman-university-fl-ccc-revs-on-negative-watch-18-05-2020

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2020, 08:45 PM
Bethune Cookman is financially unstable and is using state emergency COVID-19 funding to avoid the risk of losing accreditation.

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/us-public-finance/fitch-maintains-bethune-cookman-university-fl-ccc-revs-on-negative-watch-18-05-2020

The State of Florida is bailing them out.

Lion1983
June 1st, 2020, 08:51 PM

Sounds like several SWAC schools, if I'm being honest.

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2020, 08:52 PM
How would the UAC and Big South align themselves with the remaining MEAC members? What about the Patriot League? They should make a beeline to DC with an invite in hand.

- - - Updated - - -

How would the UAC and Big South align themselves with the remaining MEAC members? What about the Patriot League? They should make a beeline to DC with an invite in hand.

DEX
June 1st, 2020, 09:30 PM

Why? SCSU's spring enrollment was down to 976 students.

Lion1983
June 1st, 2020, 10:52 PM

- - - Updated - - -

The UAC will not.

The Big South will.

The UAC will get 3 from the SoCon, and 3 from the OVC...

The Big South will replenish the SoCon with Gardner Webb and Campbell. Apparently one school in the conference can keep Charlston Southern out. So who knows were the 3rd will come from.

Funny thing about that school, that school and two others in the SoCon is why, from what I've been told, is the reason 3 schools from the SoCon are wanting out. They said that 3 schools in the SoCon make all the decisions no matter what the others want.

citdog
June 1st, 2020, 11:11 PM
The UAC will not.

The Big South will.

The Big South will replenish the SoCon with Gardner Webb and Campbell. Apparently one school in the conference can keep Charlston Southern out. So who knows were the 3rd will come from.

Funny thing about that school, that school and two others in the SoCon is why, from what I've been told, is the reason 3 schools from the SoCon are wanting out. They said that 3 schools in the SoCon make all the decisions no matter what the others want.

That school is The Citadel and be specific what 3 schools want out of the Southern Conference because of The Citadel?

citdog
June 1st, 2020, 11:33 PM
The other two are furman and wofford. I know who the three you speak of are and they are not going anywhere.

Lion1983
June 1st, 2020, 11:43 PM
The other two are furman and wofford. I know who the three you speak of are and they are not going anywhere.

That's not what a UTC official had told me Memorial day...

His words

"The SoCon is not what it used to be, and it will never be again."
"Certain schools get whatever they want, and us and a couple more get pushed to the back burner, we are sick of it."
"There is no real reason that UTC, UNA, JSU and KSU cant be in the same conference, it make no sense. It makes even less sense to be in 3 different conferences. "

So you can believe what you want. But everyone dont regard the SoCon in the same way they used to.

OhioHen
June 2nd, 2020, 06:43 AM
Bethune-Cookman is a logical choice because of the Florida Classic that is played in Orlando. Historic rivalry.

That game can still be played without FAMU and BCU being in the same conference. Guarantees a big crowd for each team for one OOC each year.

walliver
June 2nd, 2020, 09:07 AM
The UAC will not.

The Big South will.

IF all this happens, it is unlikely that Gardner Webb would be invited either. Campbell would be a safe choice.

There really aren't many schools that would fit in with the remaining 4 privates and 2 military schools.

I wonder where UNC-G would go?

citdog
June 2nd, 2020, 10:50 AM

His words

"Certain schools get whatever they want, and us and a couple more get pushed to the back burner, we are sick of it."
"There is no real reason that UTC, UNA, JSU and KSU cant be in the same conference, it make no sense. It makes even less sense to be in 3 different conferences. "

So you can believe what you want. But everyone dont regard the SoCon in the same way they used to.

UTC can't afford the exit fee and neither can the others.

DFW HOYA
June 2nd, 2020, 10:57 AM
UTC can't afford the exit fee and neither can the others.

The Big 12 has an exit fee of $34 million to stop schools from leaving. The ACC, $50 million.

The SEC? $0. Ask the last school that left (Tulane) how that went.

Sader87
June 2nd, 2020, 01:59 PM
The Big 12 has an exit fee of $34 million to stop schools from leaving. The ACC, $50 million.

The SEC? $0. Ask the last school that left (Tulane) how that went.

What about Sewanee? xdrunkyx

Holy Cross could have been in the Big East y'know. xsmiley_wix

Mocs123
June 2nd, 2020, 02:29 PM

His words

I've heard no rumors about Chattanooga looking to leave the SoCon, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. Though it would be an awesome fit geographically, to get UTC, UNA, JSU, and KSU in the same conference it would take re-alignment of the SoCon, Big South, and OVC to make that happen.

Lion1983
June 2nd, 2020, 02:46 PM
I've heard no rumors about Chattanooga looking to leave the SoCon, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. Though it would be an awesome fit geographically, to get UTC, UNA, JSU, and KSU in the same conference it would take re-alignment of the SoCon, Big South, and OVC to make that happen.

Yes it would...

citdog
June 2nd, 2020, 03:37 PM

Dude has inside info about schools in the SoCon not named The Citadel or Furman complaining about how those two run the league. Must be a new employee at Chatt.

cx500d
June 2nd, 2020, 03:39 PM
Dude has inside info about schools in the SoCon not named The Citadel or Furman complaining about how those two run the league. Must be a new employee at Chart.
Furman?....why would you let Furman, who I have heard sucks, run the socon?

citdog
June 2nd, 2020, 03:42 PM
Furman?....why would you let Furman, who I have heard sucks, run the socon?

furman does suck but the paladins and The Citadel have been in the SoCon together since way before Jerry West played basketball in the league.

cx500d
June 2nd, 2020, 04:53 PM
furman does suck but the paladins and The Citadel have been in the SoCon together since way before Jerry West played basketball in the league.

Kinda like butt buddies?

citdog
June 2nd, 2020, 05:28 PM
Kinda like butt buddies?

Nah that's you Dakota boys thing.

DFW HOYA
June 2nd, 2020, 06:00 PM
Holy Cross could have been in the Big East y'know. xsmiley_wix

Any MEAC schools you would consider for the PL?

Sader87
June 2nd, 2020, 06:17 PM

Nope, and it's nothing against the MEAC...one of the very few things I like about the PL is that it's only 7 schools....which allows for a creative OOC schedule of 5 or 6 games some years.... which quite frankly, are usually more interesting than the PL league games.

WestCoastAggie
June 2nd, 2020, 06:33 PM

Howard???

Professor
June 2nd, 2020, 06:56 PM
I was think DSU as well as Howard

WestCoastAggie
June 2nd, 2020, 07:05 PM
I was think DSU as well as Howard

The PL is a fully private league and service academies. Delaware state wouldn’t fit.

The Cats
June 2nd, 2020, 10:52 PM
I don't think any current member of the SoCon has any intention of leaving.

Maybe a few fans here and there think that there is greener pastures out there somewhere, but they have no plan to come up with the exit fee.

Backdraft
June 3rd, 2020, 12:20 AM
There was a good conversation about the MEAC and the SWAC on this forum. They talk about TnSt and their history and then turn to FAMU. It was talked about that the MEAC could survive if they even go down to less members with losing the Florida schools and some others. They could keep their D1 status and get to share their NCAA money allocation with less schools and still strive as a conference. I think that BCU will possibly go down to D2 because of their financial problems.

https://www.facebook.com/MyBCSN1/videos/1580479908793587/ (https://www.facebook.com/MyBCSN1/videos/1580479908793587/)

ElCid
June 3rd, 2020, 07:36 AM

His words

So you spoke to the assistant intern to media relations. Got it. UTC ain't going any where. When this official becomes head honcho maybe people will listen and he can vent his views, however innaccurate.

Anthony215
June 3rd, 2020, 07:40 AM
I would think Howard would have the best chance for admission into the PL with their academic standards. Delaware State I could easily see slide back to D2 and probably go the CIAA route. Bowie State and Lincoln would be within 2 hours bus rides. Norfolk State I could see trying to get into the CAA, Southern Conference or Big South which would be great for the Hampton/NSU rivalry.

WestCoastAggie
June 3rd, 2020, 11:46 AM
I would think Howard would have the best chance for admission into the PL with their academic standards. Delaware State I could easily see slide back to D2 and probably go the CIAA route. Bowie State and Lincoln would be within 2 hours bus rides. Norfolk State I could see trying to get into the CAA, Southern Conference or Big South which would be great for the Hampton/NSU rivalry.

Nah. Norfolk would best served also back in the CIAA. The are really up to 3 schools remaining in the MEAC that truly can afford Division-1 athletics once FAMU bounces; Howard, Morgan State, NCCU.

Everyone else remaining need to return to the CIAA and the SIAC on the D2 level. Then some of those schools need to go back to the NAIA or play D3 athletics, like Shaw, Lincoln and St Aug.

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2020, 01:18 PM

Howard should have no interest in the PL. The black college experience is so closely tied to a Howard education that the idea that 10,000 people are coming to a Homecoming game with, say, Bucknell, would be incongrous. Add to that the artificial restrictions on athletic admissions and it would be a non-starter.

HU fans have shown they vote with their wallet when it comes to opponents. Georgetown's last game at Howard drew 1,891 on a clear, 72 degree day.

Professor
June 3rd, 2020, 03:50 PM
Howard should have no interest in the PL. The black college experience is so closely tied to a Howard education that the idea that 10,000 people are coming to a Homecoming game with, say, Bucknell, would be incongrous. Add to that the artificial restrictions on athletic admissions and it would be a non-starter.

HU fans have shown they vote with their wallet when it comes to opponents. Georgetown's last game at Howard drew 1,891 on a clear, 72 degree day.

I can tell you haven't been to a HBCU homecoming. it doesn't matter who you play. It's about coming home. A&T played University of Virginia Lyncburg who is a NAIA school. And we had a sellout

And your statement on playing Howard is misleading. 3 winning seasons in the last 10 years. Fans just aren't engaged period

dgtw
June 3rd, 2020, 04:52 PM
So how did the meeting go?

WestCoastAggie
June 3rd, 2020, 05:19 PM
So how did the meeting go?

Their BOT committee approved the move and now it goes to a full board vote tomorrow.

bonarae
June 3rd, 2020, 05:52 PM
https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/03/famu-bot-moves-with-caution-and-excitement-toward-swac-move/

The questions are: the timing and how much exactly is the MEAC exit fee. Thursday is the final vote.

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2020, 06:37 PM
I can tell you haven't been to a HBCU homecoming. it doesn't matter who you play. It's about coming home. A&T played University of Virginia Lyncburg who is a NAIA school. And we had a sellout. And your statement on playing Howard is misleading. 3 winning seasons in the last 10 years. Fans just aren't engaged period

Never claimed to--if Howard can sell Homecoming regardless of who they play, fine.

(And unfortunately, I know all too well about fans that aren't engaged.)

ElCid
June 3rd, 2020, 06:39 PM
(And unfortunately, I know all too well about fans that aren't engaged.)

Huh? Can they be considered fans then?

dgtw
June 3rd, 2020, 08:44 PM
It seems like fans not being engaged would be a good thing because they won’t have to worry about their woman scheduling a wedding in the fall

WestCoastAggie
June 3rd, 2020, 08:51 PM
https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/03/famu-bot-moves-with-caution-and-excitement-toward-swac-move/

The questions are: the timing and how much exactly is the MEAC exit fee. Thursday is the final vote.

It’ll be $250K unless they fumble the bag, which is a possibility. I was shaking my head from the responses of some on the committee. They had this data for 6 years. Of course you’re gonna move fast. The FY ends 6/30 and they have to give notice to the MEAC by then as to avoid a bigger penalty. This is supposed to just be a formality but board members may muck up the joint.

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2020, 07:24 AM

What MEAC schools would be the best candidates for the NEC?

I would love to add Howard and DSU.

I don't think HU would seriously consider joing a bunch of small, Catholic schools. They have the most national profile of the remaining MEAC teams.

I could see any of DSU/Coppin St./UMES/Morgan St. as future NEC members.

WestCoastAggie
June 4th, 2020, 07:28 AM
What MEAC schools would be the best candidates for the NEC?

I would love to add Howard and DSU.

I don't think HU would seriously consider joing a bunch of small, Catholic schools. They have the most national profile of the remaining MEAC teams.

I could see any of DSU/Coppin St./UMES/Morgan St. as future NEC members.

Coppin and UMES could work for the NEC or American East since they don’t have football. Morgan State may be best for the CAA and Howard... that’s Patriot League all the way or perhaps MAAC [With football joining the NEC or Big South].

Lion1983
June 4th, 2020, 10:07 AM
Coppin and UMES could work for the NEC or American East since they don’t have basketball. Morgan State may be best for the CAA and Howard... that’s Patriot League all the way or perhaps MAAC [With football joining the NEC or Big South].

They dont play Basketball??

Anthony215
June 4th, 2020, 10:22 AM
Coppin and UMES could work for the NEC or American East since they don’t have basketball. Morgan State may be best for the CAA and Howard... that’s Patriot League all the way or perhaps MAAC [With football joining the NEC or Big South].

I didn't even think about the Howard/Georgetown rivalry that could be started if they joined the PL. Separated by a half hour drive I'm sure they could both play each other on homecoming every year and produce sellouts easily.

Laker
June 4th, 2020, 12:13 PM
They dont play Basketball??

They both have basketball but not football.

Schism55
June 4th, 2020, 12:21 PM
https://twitter.com/HBCUGameday/status/1268586654232690697

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 4th, 2020, 07:27 PM
Yep and I can’t wait.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2020, 10:28 PM
So you spoke to the assistant intern to media relations. Got it. UTC ain't going any where. When this official becomes head honcho maybe people will listen and he can vent his views, however innaccurate.

I really don't see the huge draw for UTC to leave the SoCon. I do not see why the longer tenured members would have significantly more voice than other schools, though I can get a big picture that they would vote in a bloc.

From what I can tell, recent SoCon expansion has seemingly been a balance to appease the conference's unique mix of schools. Some private colleges, some public, a military school. Most all of those schools, though, are more geographically favorable to UTC than they previously were.

Consider also that the SoCon's basketball, a marquee revenue sport, is significantly better than the OVC or ASun.

cx500d
June 4th, 2020, 10:49 PM
I really don't see the huge draw for UTC to leave the SoCon. I do not see why the longer tenured members would have significantly more voice than other schools, though I can get a big picture that they would vote in a bloc.

From what I can tell, recent SoCon expansion has seemingly been a balance to appease the conference's unique mix of schools. Some private colleges, some public, a military school. Most all of those schools, though, are more geographically favorable to UTC than they previously were.

Consider also that the SoCon's basketball, a marquee revenue sport, is significantly better than the OVC or ASun.
Interesting...which one?

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2020, 07:19 AM
Interesting...which one?

VMI.

ElCid
June 5th, 2020, 07:47 AM
Interesting...which one?

I think you misunderstood his point. He was mentioning schools ADDED. ETSU - Public, Mercer - Private, VMI - Military. All of which are a bit easier for UTC travel.

DFW HOYA
June 5th, 2020, 08:21 AM
I didn't even think about the Howard/Georgetown rivalry that could be started if they joined the PL. Separated by a half hour drive I'm sure they could both play each other on homecoming every year and produce sellouts easily.

Three miles on the map, a half hour drive.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2020, 08:30 AM
I think you misunderstood his point. He was mentioning schools ADDED. ETSU - Public, Mercer - Private, VMI - Military. All of which are a bit easier for UTC travel.

Well, VMI isn't really easy for anyone.

cx500d
June 5th, 2020, 02:02 PM
I see. I thought it was a subtle dig at someone

cx500d
June 5th, 2020, 02:03 PM
Three miles on the map, a half hour drive.
Not during covid. 5 minutes max

Dane96
June 5th, 2020, 02:08 PM
Coppin and UMES could work for the NEC or American East since they don’t have football. Morgan State may be best for the CAA and Howard... that’s Patriot League all the way or perhaps MAAC [With football joining the NEC or Big South].

America East is not expanding anytime in the near future. The football thing also isn't a foregone conclusion as their will be changes in the NCAA based on COVID and just general finances. The four football schools hold a lot of sway in the AE (UNH, Maine, Stony Brook, and Albany).

Personally, I think we will see MAJOR re-alignment that was brewing for years....no one wanted to admit / address...and it will occur. I think you will see way schools more closely align based on distance to reduce costs, especially if you are not a Power 5 school (plus BE for hoops). It will look a lot more like the late 70's to mid-90's than many would care to admit.

What will be interesting is if you can form / fund leagues and teams based on sport specific leagues.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2020, 02:29 PM
I see. I thought it was a subtle dig at someone

I am not subliminal in my criticisms of the Citadel.

Lion1983
June 5th, 2020, 02:58 PM
America East is not expanding anytime in the near future. The football thing also isn't a foregone conclusion as their will be changes in the NCAA based on COVID and just general finances. The four football schools hold a lot of sway in the AE (UNH, Maine, Stony Brook, and Albany).

Personally, I think we will see MAJOR re-alignment that was brewing for years....no one wanted to admit / address...and it will occur. I think you will see way schools more closely align based on distance to reduce costs, especially if you are not a Power 5 school (plus BE for hoops). It will look a lot more like the late 70's to mid-90's than many would care to admit.

What will be interesting is if you can form / fund leagues and teams based on sport specific leagues.

I agree....

3rd Coast Tiger
June 5th, 2020, 03:23 PM
*looks around*

MayorOfHenTown
June 5th, 2020, 03:47 PM
Could anyone see Tennessee State moving to the MEAC, and then the OVC sending an invite to Valdosta State?

mvfcfan
June 5th, 2020, 04:14 PM
Could anyone see Tennessee State moving to the MEAC, and then the OVC sending an invite to Valdosta State?

I would be somewhat surprised if TN State left for the SWAC. Valdosta State is not happening. If anyone left the OVC I think WIU, UNA, or Lipscomb would be the top targets. I would prefer not adding Lipscomb since they don't have football, but I wouldn't put it past the OVC office. WIU would be my top choice.

Lion1983
June 5th, 2020, 06:15 PM

Valdosta State made it very clear publicly that they have no interest in D1.

But if they did, the only conferences I could feasibly see them in is, ASUN (Big South football), Big South full membership, or SoCon. And that's from most probable to the very least.

If the OVC had a major shift in their geography, invited UNA and KSU together, Valdosta may have a fighting chance.

Lion1983
June 5th, 2020, 06:16 PM
I would be somewhat surprised if TN State left for the SWAC. Valdosta State is not happening. If anyone left the OVC I think WIU, UNA, or Lipscomb would be the top targets. I would prefer not adding Lipscomb since they don't have football, but I wouldn't put it past the OVC office. WIU would be my top choice.

You trying to get rid of Western Illinois?

citdog
June 5th, 2020, 06:37 PM
But the celebration bowl crowned a national champion, got huge ratings and was a gigantic moneymaker that was far better than the FCS Playoffs people said...

ElCid
June 5th, 2020, 07:23 PM
Well, VMI isn't really easy for anyone.

Huh? 3.5 hour drive for ETSU. Way closer than Charleston. Probably as easy for UTC as going to Charleston. Now VMI really sux for Samford, Mercer, and El Cid. Long haul.

mvfcfan
June 5th, 2020, 08:33 PM
You trying to get rid of Western Illinois?

No. EIU is my second favorite school and they are rivals with WIU. In basketball we play twice a year and have a traveling trophy (an axe). Having them in the OVC would be great!

kdinva
June 5th, 2020, 08:58 PM
https://twitter.com/HBCUGameday/status/1268586654232690697

another sound move, for sake of geography.....and beat the "headache deadline" by 24 days. (see Hampton)

Lion1983
June 5th, 2020, 10:19 PM
No. EIU is my second favorite school and they are rivals with WIU. In basketball we play twice a year and have a traveling trophy (an axe). Having them in the OVC would be great!

Okay, makes sense...
I kinda sounded like there was some shade being casted...

Panther88
June 5th, 2020, 10:33 PM
But the celebration bowl crowned a national champion, got huge ratings and was a gigantic moneymaker that was far better than the FCS Playoffs people said...

Wutttttttt?

You received a notification that the CB is off? How and why did they notify you first before the actual supporters? xlolx

IVY League, the spot-light is upon you.

citdog
June 5th, 2020, 10:53 PM
Wutttttttt?

You received a notification that the CB is off? How and why did they notify you first before the actual supporters? xlolx

IVY League, the spot-light is upon you.

Just like a coach. No contract extension in the last year means you gotta prove it.

Panther88
June 5th, 2020, 11:05 PM
Just like a coach. No contract extension in the last year means you gotta prove it.

The contract for the CB was extended for 3 addt'l years earlier this year prior to NCA&T's announcement so I don't understand your point.

Neither do I understand what your initial response regarding the CB has to do w/ a thread announcing FAMU joining the SWAC. It's no secret that the SWAC was hoping to lure FAMU for well over 20+ years. xconfusedx

Good luck to all fcs eligible schools participating in the "fcs playoffs" 2020. lol

Lion1983
June 6th, 2020, 06:50 AM
The contract for the CB was extended for 3 addt'l years earlier this year prior to NCA&T's announcement so I don't understand your point.

Neither do I understand what your initial response regarding the CB has to do w/ a thread announcing FAMU joining the SWAC. It's no secret that the SWAC was hoping to lure FAMU for well over 20+ years. xconfusedx

Good luck to all fcs eligible schools participating in the "fcs playoffs" 2020. lol

What are they going to do if the MEAC folds? I'm not saying it absolutely will, but they look to be in a tough position at this point.

The Celebration Bowl just put their name on the SWAC championship? Ot make the schools that play the SWAC championship play again in the Celebration Bowl?

Panther88
June 6th, 2020, 07:36 AM
What are they going to do if the MEAC folds? I'm not saying it absolutely will, but they look to be in a tough position at this point.

The Celebration Bowl just put their name on the SWAC championship? Ot make the schools that play the SWAC championship play again in the Celebration Bowl?

Ask citdog. He seems to be on the steering committee or has all the advanced answers lol. xlolx

Seriously, I have a pretty good idea what may transgress but will do the mature thing and wait for the product owners to make their decision.

MayorOfHenTown
June 6th, 2020, 07:46 AM

I would think that the Celebration Bowl would just become the SWAC Championship game. Play a schedule where the two divisions have no crossover during the regular season. Top team from each division heads to the “Celebration Bowl” (SWAC Championship).

WestCoastAggie
June 6th, 2020, 08:53 AM

No, it wasn’t.

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2020, 09:28 AM
Huh? 3.5 hour drive for ETSU. Way closer than Charleston. Probably as easy for UTC as going to Charleston. Now VMI really sux for Samford, Mercer, and El Cid. Long haul.

That's sort of my point. The closest school to VMI is still nearly a 3.5 hour drive in a conference with a comparatively small geographic footprint.

VMI made sense 20-30 years ago when the SoCon was more "Carolina Centric" with Davidson, App, Marshall, ETSU, etc. In the current conference makeup, they are out on an island geographically.

Lion1983
June 6th, 2020, 10:42 AM
That's sort of my point. The closest school to VMI is still nearly a 3.5 hour drive in a conference with a comparatively small geographic footprint.

VMI made sense 20-30 years ago when the SoCon was more "Carolina Centric" with Davidson, App, Marshall, ETSU, etc. In the current conference makeup, they are out on an island geographically.

So they leave, when geography makes sense and come back when it doesn't...

Kinda make you wonder

DEX
June 6th, 2020, 10:45 AM
The Celebration Bowl has not been extended yet. Heck, there's no certainty it will be played this year.

cx500d
June 6th, 2020, 11:42 AM

Have fun while PVA&M continues to neither go the FCS playoffs nor go to CB. You must love irrelevence, because you enjoy it every year.

Panther88
June 6th, 2020, 03:24 PM
No, it wasn’t.
I'll find it, as time permits.

Edited: the title sponsor, AFR, renewed its position in 2018-my confusion; the contract to renew hasn't been announced (yet) but I see no valid reason why it cannot continue since both conferences are still alive. I'm very certain MEAC and SWAC product owners will address. Those on the outside looking in, like ncat, kick rocks, outsider :D tee-hee-hee. You may get one last hurrah and then it's lights out for you too. xlolx

You are welcome.

Panther88
June 6th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Have fun while PVA&M continues to neither go the FCS playoffs nor go to CB. You must love irrelevence, because you enjoy it every year.

That's what The Ohio State alums constantly say about "you, small division 2 schools."

Funny, watching athletic midgets in the arena of the ncaa arguing some superfluous point, like your cancerous drivel :D .

Lion1983
June 6th, 2020, 03:38 PM
https://youtu.be/A2r4PdzHanU

Interesting watch...

Looks like the SWAC wants 12

Sounds like the MEAC is in serious trouble

Also sounds like the Celebration Bowl has not renewed the contract....

WestCoastAggie
June 6th, 2020, 04:25 PM
I'll find it, as time permits.

Edited: the title sponsor, AFR, renewed its position in 2018-my confusion; the contract to renew hasn't been announced (yet) but I see no valid reason why it cannot continue since both conferences are still alive. I'm very certain MEAC and SWAC product owners will address. Those on the outside looking in, like ncat, kick rocks, outsider :D tee-hee-hee. You may get one last hurrah and then it's lights out for you too. xlolx

You are welcome.

😐

cx500d
June 6th, 2020, 04:49 PM
That's what The Ohio State alums constantly say about "you, small division 2 schools."

Funny, watching athletic midgets in the arena of the ncaa arguing some superfluous point, like your cancerous drivel :D .

blah blah blah.

Panther88
June 6th, 2020, 06:22 PM
blah blah blah.

And your disingenuous comment wasn't "blah?" *gasp*

Are you a SWAC grad? MEAC grad? FAMU grad? Why comment? lmao

ElCid
June 6th, 2020, 06:35 PM
And your disingenuous comment wasn't "blah?" *gasp*

Are you a SWAC grad? MEAC grad? FAMU grad? Why comment? lmao

Whoa. You now have to be a grad to comment about a school or conf. I'll have to remember that.

Panther88
June 7th, 2020, 08:13 AM
Whoa. You now have to be a grad to comment about a school or conf. I'll have to remember that.

Since you are being the role of rem. captain-save-a-super-troll, how does a comment originating of CV-19 irrelevant air:

relate to the subject/title "Florida BOT expected to vote on plan to leave MEAC for SWAC?"

Do wuddddddd??? Huh? xconfusedx My prev comment was regarding The CB regarding something I read Jan/Feb 2020 which I will locate and a final comment to wish those well who are eligible to participate in the fcs playoffs 2020. Make it make sense. Substantiate the illicit req. of danx. Or not.

ElCid
June 7th, 2020, 08:52 AM
Since you are being the role of rem. captain-save-a-super-troll, how does a comment originating of CV-19 irrelevant air:

relate to the subject/title "Florida BOT expected to vote on plan to leave MEAC for SWAC?"

Do wuddddddd??? Huh? xconfusedx My prev comment was regarding The CB regarding something I read Jan/Feb 2020 which I will locate and a final comment to wish those well who are eligible to participate in the fcs playoffs 2020. Make it make sense. Substantiate the illicit req. of danx. Or not.

You do realize that your ramblings come across as incoherent jibberish most of the time, right? If you can't make yourself understood, why would you think anybody cares what you say? His point was simple and straight forward. Sure it was trolling, but who here hasn't seen some trolling about their conference or team? That is what makes this place so fun. Get over it.

Panther88
June 7th, 2020, 09:25 AM
You do realize that your ramblings come across as incoherent jibberish most of the time, right? If you can't make yourself understood, why would you think anybody cares what you say? His point was simple and straight forward. Sure it was trolling, but who here hasn't seen some trolling about their conference or team? That is what makes this place so fun. Get over it.

But I wasn't directing commentary towards guy, or even you so who cares what "you" opine? My intended audience understood. Isn't that all that ultimately matters? :-O Danx. will be in business forever, obviously.

At least you were honest admitting it trolled. Geez the m. ret. xsmhx

katss07
June 7th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Relax, he went to Prairie View A&M. He might not speak fluent English.

Panther88
June 7th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Relax, he went to Prairie View A&M. He might not speak fluent English.
And this wondiferous show of mental dysfunction ^^^ has what to do w/ the thread title?

The same "atta'boy" pat on the head I give my dogs for affirmation is coming your way. Just "relax and wait for it, lil' doggie. xlolx

xlolx @ "He might not speak..." xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Look at the primitive and remedial mental retardation mixed w/ obvious jealousy lol.

citdog
June 7th, 2020, 02:38 PM
Ask citdog. He seems to be on the steering committee or has all the advanced answers lol. xlolx

Seriously, I have a pretty good idea what may transgress but will do the mature thing and wait for the product owners to make their decision.

Seems I know a little bit more about than you do Panther. Are you on the steering committee?

Panther88
June 7th, 2020, 02:59 PM
Seems I know a little bit more about than you do Panther. Are you on the steering committee?

Right. Hence why I deferred to you since you know more. You are in the info flow. I am not. xlolx

cx500d
June 7th, 2020, 04:26 PM
But I wasn't directing commentary towards guy, or even you so who cares what "you" opine? My intended audience understood. Isn't that all that ultimately matters? :-O Danx. will be in business forever, obviously.

At least you were honest admitting it trolled. Geez the m. ret. xsmhx
Bro, when you make a comment that is a troll for people who do take seriously the second word in our division abbreviated fcs, and make the insinuation it’s irrelevant, yet come from a school that has been irrelevant (Well, really just a no show) even for your supposed one game “championship” , you should expect a little comeback. Hopefully I didn’t hurt your feelings too much; if I did, I apologize.

ASU33
June 7th, 2020, 05:10 PM
The Celebration Bowl has not been extended yet. Heck, there's no certainty it will be played this year.

Everything that I've heard says that the game is on this year. The catch is what happens AFTER this year.

Panther88
June 7th, 2020, 05:19 PM
Bro, when you make a comment that is a troll for people who do take seriously the second word in our division abbreviated fcs, and make the insinuation it’s irrelevant, yet come from a school that has been irrelevant (Well, really just a no show) even for your supposed one game “championship” , you should expect a little comeback. Hopefully I didn’t hurt your feelings too much; if I did, I apologize.

Oh please you should know by now I'm built differently than most. My initial response actually poked fun at us being ineligible fall 2020 for any post-season play. Nothing more. Nothing less. I do get triggered when I see the purple/gold school's acros though.

No apology warranted.

Professor
June 8th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Everything that I've heard says that the game is on this year. The catch is what happens AFTER this year.

EXACTLY. Is ESPN / ABC gonna pull the trigger

ASU33
June 8th, 2020, 01:24 PM
EXACTLY. Is ESPN / ABC gonna pull the trigger

I'll DM you the skinny.

hottlee
June 8th, 2020, 03:58 PM
https://youtu.be/e4yk_-J-aVA

WestCoastAggie
June 8th, 2020, 05:38 PM
I'll DM you the skinny.

Shoot me those deets to, if you don’t mind sir. Thanks!

cx500d
June 8th, 2020, 06:28 PM
Shoot me those deets to, if you don’t mind sir. Thanks!
keeps the skeeters away

ejjones
June 8th, 2020, 11:16 PM
SC State can’t afford it but the alternatives aren’t better if they want to remain D1 and get those checks from Clemson and South Carolina.
Can't afford it? It doesn't make sense for SC State; and SC State doesn't have any desire to go to SWAC; doesn't fit our travel footprint.

ejjones
June 8th, 2020, 11:17 PM
Why? SCSU's spring enrollment was down to 976 students.
LOL, you actually believe that?

ejjones
June 8th, 2020, 11:20 PM
I can see at the least NCCU moving, dont know if SCSU fits the academic profile. If BS gained SCSU and NCCU it would make the conf a lot stronger in football and basketball. At the FCS level the BS would be the premiere conf in football and basketball from GA to VA.

KSU would be a fool to leave the BS in football...they would have at least 3 selllouts per year and real football rivalries.
Please do tell; what's the BS academic profile?

citdog
June 8th, 2020, 11:36 PM
Can't afford it? It doesn't make sense for SC State; and SC State doesn't have any desire to go to SWAC; doesn't fit our travel footprint.

I am a fan of the Orangeburg Bulldogs. I have been for a long time. I wish there was a place for you in the SoCon.

bluedog
June 9th, 2020, 04:27 AM

Obviously the HBCU connection helps, but I can’t see why Tennessee State would join the SWAC.Keep in mind these conclusions came after "THREE" independent studies were done over a 5-7 year period. Now if these key points came to a positive conclusion for FAMU. A school much further in the eastern part of the SWAC footprint than TNSU is. It would stand to reason that after any negotiation of exit fees. That TNSU would be just as profitable are more. Key points in FAMU decision to move to the SWAC. SU game brought in over 300k while the top meac conference game for famu brought in 75k. SWAC revenue sharing for CB 80/20. MEAC revenue sharing for CB 70/30 -60/40 The winner of the SCG get all the profit. With a mininum profit of 500k MEAC doesn't have a SCG SWAC each school has ability to negotiate independent apparel contracts MEAC 1 or 2 School have independent contracts and the rest of the contracts are tied into a group negotiated contract SWAC schools have the ability to negotiate independent Regional TV contract "MEAC“Adding up the scenarios over that five or so year period—staying in the MEAC would result in a deficit of $3.5 million dollars, moving to the SWAC would create a positive of $3 million dollars. So from a financial standpoint, I think it makes great sense.”

Panther88
June 9th, 2020, 08:11 AM
Keep in mind these conclusions came after "THREE" independent studies were done over a 5-7 year period. Now if these key points came to a positive conclusion for FAMU. A school much further in the eastern part of the SWAC footprint than TNSU is. It would stand to reason that after any negotiation of exit fees. That TNSU would be just as profitable are more. Key points in FAMU decision to move to the SWAC. SU game brought in over 300k while the top meac conference game for famu brought in 75k. SWAC revenue sharing for CB 80/20. MEAC revenue sharing for CB 70/30 -60/40 (tel:70/30 -60/40) The winner of the SCG get all the profit. With a mininum profit of 500k MEAC doesn't have a SCG SWAC each school has ability to negotiate independent apparel contracts MEAC 1 or 2 School have independent contracts and the rest of the contracts are tied into a group negotiated contract SWAC schools have the ability to negotiate independent Regional TV contract "MEAC“Adding up the scenarios over that five or so year period—staying in the MEAC would result in a deficit of $3.5 million dollars, moving to the SWAC would create a positive of $3 million dollars. So from a financial standpoint, I think it makes great sense.”
Welcome on the return, blue.

bluedog
June 9th, 2020, 09:06 AM
Welcome on the return, blue.Just making a cameo appearance for the momentous occasion that I predicted three years ago that everybody said would never happen.
https://media0.giphy.com/media/VhneMg6g1xrDiEpVUu/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7c8de723981a5bf71e845934afccd 0fd76ad084c8&rid=giphy.gif

Panther88
June 9th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Just making a cameo appearance for the momentous occasion that I predicted three years ago that everybody said would never happen.
https://media0.giphy.com/media/VhneMg6g1xrDiEpVUu/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7c8de723981a5bf71e845934afccd 0fd76ad084c8&rid=giphy.gif

Right. Need your skills to convince TnSt to join and then the niche will be complete. So, the SWAC will own the top-5 highest attended fcs games annually. Is that correct? Our supporters/market speak w/ their support.

bluedog
June 9th, 2020, 10:32 AM
Right. Need your skills to convince TnSt to join and then the niche will be complete. So, the SWAC will own the top-5 highest attended fcs games annually. Is that correct? Our supporters/market speak w/ their support.Like our fearless leader has already said "we ain't begging nobody". The numbers speak for themselves. As i told a couple of them when they question whether they should or not. "You've had 35 years in a below average conf. with an average athletic program and only two titles to show for it." If FAMU was able to give a undeniable presentation of how joining the SWAC would result in a 3 million dollar Surplus to their budget, and they are the furthest away on the east side of the SWAC footprint. It stands to reason that at the very least you would see that same success or even more. If they choose to continue to live in purgatory that's on them. We good.....we real goodhttps://media0.giphy.com/media/l49JXTYPlm0ABKYzS/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7a3ef45b41c7fbdf6cda2121e3d9b 175193a5dc5b&rid=giphy.gif

Professor
June 9th, 2020, 02:48 PM
Lol Purgatory

WestCoastAggie
June 9th, 2020, 02:51 PM
Lol Purgatory
Bluedog does have a point. They ain’t dominating in any of the revenue sports and haven’t really since joining the conference.

Professor
June 9th, 2020, 03:02 PM
Bluedog does have a point. They ain’t dominating in any of the revenue sports and haven’t really since joining the conference.

I agree , honestly don't know what they waiting on.

GAD
June 10th, 2020, 10:31 AM
You ain't lying. They show up in Memphis for the Southern Heritage Classic and the HBCU game and then after that they're done for the year.
They don't play a full OVC schedule

Lion1983
June 10th, 2020, 10:37 AM

That cant be ideal for the OVC...

WestCoastAggie
June 10th, 2020, 11:09 AM

They’re playing a full 8-game OVC schedule for the past 3 seasons.

Panther88
June 10th, 2020, 11:32 AM
They’re playing a full 8-game OVC schedule for the past 3 seasons.

TennStU is attempting to play both sides of the fence, which is what NCAT will also attempt to do in the near future as it transitions to the Big South conf.

Look at TnStU's OOC scheduling by year over the last 4:
2019: UAPB, MVSU, JacksonStU, MTSU
2018: BCU, Hampton, JacksonStU, Vanderbilt
2017: GaSt, JacksonStU, FAMU, VU-L
2016: UAPB, JacksonStU, BCU, Vanderbilt

What is going on here? lol xlolx

Professor
June 10th, 2020, 11:57 AM
Nah don't bring us into this. Us leaving the MEAC was about saving money and poor MEAC leadership.

We will play maybe 2 HBCUs a year (NCCU being one ) and a FBS money game.

Professor
June 10th, 2020, 12:31 PM
Interesting comments

NDSUKurt
June 10th, 2020, 01:20 PM
Interesting comments

I agree...Tennessee State got a long explanation from the SWAC Commissioner. With the facts and stats that he mentioned, to me it looks like Tennessee State will move, and if not this year, then probably next year .

bluedog
June 10th, 2020, 01:30 PM
They’re playing a full 8-game OVC schedule for the past 3 seasons.Nah.... last year was the first time in five years.

https://www.tsutigers.com/football/schedule/2019-20/

Panther88
June 10th, 2020, 02:19 PM
Nah don't bring us into this. Us leaving the MEAC was about saving money and poor MEAC leadership.

We will play maybe 2 HBCUs a year (NCCU being one ) and a FBS money game.

xlolx @ "maybe 2 HBCUs."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighttttt... *wink!* *wink!* When that fanbase transitions to TnStU v2.0, you will find your answer there. lol

jajfitz
June 10th, 2020, 05:22 PM
I am not into all the ins and outs of the conferences but could there be a total re-alignment of conferences in the south/southeast? The SWAC, MEAC, Southland, Big South, Maybe some of OVC schools?Maybe add in the Southern?

katss07
June 10th, 2020, 05:55 PM
I am not into all the ins and outs of the conferences but could there be a total re-alignment of conferences in the south/southeast? The SWAC, MEAC, Southland, Big South, Maybe some of OVC schools?Maybe add in the Southern?
Probably not the Southland, especially considering all the realignment that went on from 2010-2014.

Professor
June 11th, 2020, 09:52 AM
xlolx @ "maybe 2 HBCUs."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighttttt... *wink!* *wink!* When that fanbase transitions to TnStU v2.0, you will find your answer there. lol

Sigh. What you don't get is that it's only 2 schools that bring a sizable crowd to A&T. NCCU and SCSU. The rest is our fans. We have a great fanbase and i'm not worried. We put 15k in the stadium on a Thursday night. We have great attendance when we play PWIs. So again no worries here

Professor
June 11th, 2020, 09:54 AM
xlolx @ "maybe 2 HBCUs."

Might wanna worry about your attendance before you are concerned about ours

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2019.pdf

Panther88
June 11th, 2020, 10:19 PM
Might wanna worry about your attendance before you are concerned about ours

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2019.pdf
Actually, our apr is our priority; thanks though. Good luck to you all though.

xlolx

OhioHen
June 12th, 2020, 07:54 AM
Interesting read surmising that the eventual demise of the MEAC may have been due to Winston-Salem State's failed attempt to go D-I.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/11/did-wssu-failed-di-attempt-spark-mass-meac-exodus/

WestCoastAggie
June 12th, 2020, 08:08 AM
Interesting read surmising that the eventual demise of the MEAC may have been due to Winston-Salem State's failed attempt to go D-I.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/11/did-wssu-failed-di-attempt-spark-mass-meac-exodus/
HBCU Gameday’s hypothesis ain’t far off.

bluedog
June 12th, 2020, 06:39 PM

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/11/did-wssu-failed-di-attempt-spark-mass-meac-exodus/Folks Looking for an escape goat. WSSU didn't leave the conference A&T and HU did.

Lion1983
June 12th, 2020, 07:44 PM
Folks Looking for an escape goat. WSSU didn't leave the conference A&T and HU did.

WTF?

DFW HOYA
June 12th, 2020, 09:25 PM
HBCU Gameday’s hypothesis ain’t far off.

Where is the MEAC leadership speaking out on this?

WestCoastAggie
June 12th, 2020, 09:43 PM
Folks Looking for an escape goat. WSSU didn't leave the conference A&T and HU did.

To be technical, WSSU never became full members of the MEAC. They were provisional members and weren’t eligible for MEAC titles or post-season play, and never finished their provisional transition to Division 1.

But the hypothesis isn’t far-fetched. The MEAC’s goal was to field 12 members and create a Championship to go along with the SWAC’s champ game.

However, all the presidents weren’t on the same page and no other answers arose fo rising travel costs in all sports.

- - - Updated - - -

Where is the MEAC leadership speaking out on this?

The commissioner is still reeling from FAMU leaving.

bluedog
June 12th, 2020, 09:48 PM
To be technical, WSSU never became full members of the MEAC. They were provisional members and weren’t eligible for MEAC titles or post-season play, and never finished their provisional transition to Division 1.

But the hypothesis isn’t far-fetched. The MEAC’s goal was to field 12 members and create a Championship to go along with the SWAC’s champ game.

However, all the presidents weren’t on the same page and no other answers arose fo rising travel costs in all sports.

- - - Updated - - -

The commissioner is still reeling from FAMU leaving.Exactly why I said folks are looking for an escape goat. WSSU had no impact or influence on the meac one way or the other.

tierre
June 12th, 2020, 09:51 PM
I hope that the MEAC doesn't implode. I felt that the MEAC when they had a chance should have went into a North/South Division format.

South
NCAT
NCCU
FAMU
BCU
SCSU
SSU

North
DSU
WSSU
NSU
Hampton
Howard
MSU

The MEAC has lost 5 members in a 10 year time frame

Winston Salem State 2010 (Moved back down to DII CIAA)
Hampton 2017 (Moved to the Big South)
Savannah St. 2018 (Moved back down to DII SIAC)
NCAT 2020 (Moved to the Big South)
FAMU 2020 (Moved to the SWAC)

I felt that the SWAC got them a good commissioner with a vision and has the will to move the SWAC to new levels.

jajfitz
June 13th, 2020, 04:51 PM
I hope that the MEAC doesn't implode. I felt that the MEAC when they had a chance should have went into a North/South Division format.

South
NCAT
NCCU
FAMU
BCU
SCSU
SSU

North
DSU
WSSU
NSU
Hampton
Howard
MSU

I felt that the SWAC got them a good commissioner with a vision and has the will to move the SWAC to new levels.

Didn't Morris Brown also make an ill-fated attempt to join the MEAC?

WileECoyote06
June 13th, 2020, 09:52 PM

They were rejected by the SWAC first. They reapplied for the SWAC, MEAC and the Big South; but by then were already in trouble with SACS.

Laker
June 13th, 2020, 10:28 PM

Morris Brown lost to the Gophers back in 2000. It was pretty close- they had to play a lot of road money games as an independent. I also remember Minnesota playing US International many years ago- the Gulls dropped basketball and men's hockey. Same situation- too many road games.

There was a building called Morris Hall at MSU-Mankato that I had some classes in. I told some girls that it was named for Morris Day and they believed me. Not very smart- I think that they were there to get their Mrs degree.

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2020, 10:35 PM
Morris Brown is barely alive: 40 students. It is not accredited to offer federal financial aid.

A new president says the goal is 300 students by 2024.

Meanwhile, its football stadium is decaying.

https://abandonedplaygrounds.com/2019/08/19/abandoned-herdon-stadium-is-something-from-the-post-apocalypse/

Bill
June 13th, 2020, 10:43 PM
WOW. Thanks for sharing that DFW...those pictures look like they are straight off the set of The Walking Dead!

cx500d
June 14th, 2020, 05:27 PM
Morris Brown is barely alive: 40 students. It is not accredited to offer federal financial aid.

A new president says the goal is 300 students by 2024.

Meanwhile, its football stadium is decaying.

https://abandonedplaygrounds.com/2019/08/19/abandoned-herdon-stadium-is-something-from-the-post-apocalypse/

wow....

Schism55
June 14th, 2020, 06:14 PM
Trailer park of the apocalypse xeyebrowx

Professor
June 14th, 2020, 07:13 PM

South
NCAT
NCCU
FAMU
BCU
SCSU
SSU

North
DSU
WSSU
NSU
Hampton
Howard
MSU

This was the plan. 5 in your division and 3 cross games. Just never made it to fruition

OhioHen
June 15th, 2020, 07:31 AM
folks are looking for an escape goat.

Where'd the goat escape from/to? :D

Anthony215
June 15th, 2020, 10:05 AM
I don't see the MEAC surviving unless they get rid of football and let the other members find other FCS conferences for football. In that case Delaware State could opt for the NEC (if an invite came along), Howard obviously would probably look to the Patriot League, Norfolk (if their finances are in order, would look to possibly go Big South or Southern Conference), Morgan would either go independent or ask for an NEC invite, Bethune would seek refuge in the SWAC if finances afforded them or drop football altogether, SC State could also look to the SWAC and lastly NCCU would look to partner with A&T in the Big South or CAA). Basketball wise if the remaining schools stayed at the FCS level along with Coppin State and UMES they'd have an 8 team conference.

aceinthehole
June 15th, 2020, 10:19 AM
I don't see the MEAC surviving unless they get rid of football and let the other members find other FCS conferences for football. In that case Delaware State could opt for the NEC (if an invite came along), Howard obviously would probably look to the Patriot League, Norfolk (if their finances are in order, would look to possibly go Big South or Southern Conference), Morgan would either go independent or ask for an NEC invite, Bethune would seek refuge in the SWAC if finances afforded them or drop football altogether, SC State could also look to the SWAC and lastly NCCU would look to partner with A&T in the Big South or CAA). Basketball wise if the remaining schools stayed at the FCS level along with Coppin State and UMES they'd have an 8 team conference.

I could easily see the NEC offering football affiliate membership to both Delaware State and Morgan State - however, does anyone really think Howard would get an invite for the Patriot League?

Anthony215
June 15th, 2020, 10:33 AM
I could easily see the NEC offering football affiliate membership to both Delaware State and Morgan State - however, does anyone really think Howard would get an invite for the Patriot League?

Between their endowment, high academic standards and subpar athletic facilities it's a no brainer they'd fit in perfectly in the PL lol. In these tough times it would be a great look for the conference as well in regards to inclusion, having the "Black Harvard" as a conference member allowing Georgetown to have a local rival which would boost at least boost interest in DC for one game a year in the city.

aceinthehole
June 15th, 2020, 10:48 AM
Between their endowment, high academic standards and subpar athletic facilities it's a no brainer they'd fit in perfectly in the PL lol. In these tough times it would be a great look for the conference as well in regards to inclusion, having the "Black Harvard" as a conference member allowing Georgetown to have a local rival which would boost at least boost interest in DC for one game a year in the city.

I think it's an interesting idea and I agree with your reasons, but I just don't see enough mutual interest to actually make this happening for Howard and the Patriot League.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what the MEAC and its remaining members do next - they are "on the clock" for in this round of conference realignment.

Anthony215
June 15th, 2020, 11:39 AM
I think it's an interesting idea and I agree with your reasons, but I just don't see enough mutual interest to actually make this happening for Howard and the Patriot League.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what the MEAC and its remaining members do next - they are "on the clock" for in this round of conference realignment.

Unfortunately I believe the MEAC will be a thing of the past and the schools will branch off ending what has been some good rivalry games. We already have lost the battle of the HU's with Hampton leaving the MEAC for the Big South. And we also lost the battle of the Bay with Hampton/Norfolk State. With FAMU bolting for the SWAC that greatly leaves the Florida Classic game in jeopardy at least temporarily as the MEAC may blackball FAMU from scheduling MEAC opponents for a while, and the annual A&T/NCCU game has gone away with A&T bolting for the Big South. I wonder if A&T won the conference title this year would they still play in the Celebration game or would they "forfeit" the league title to play in the playoffs. Social distancing coming into effect the Celebration Bowl (if played this year) check will be lower with not as many tickets for fans being sold and corporate sponsorships may not be as big as they've been in the past..

bluedog
June 15th, 2020, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately I believe the MEAC will be a thing of the past and the schools will branch off ending what has been some good rivalry games. We already have lost the battle of the HU's with Hampton leaving the MEAC for the Big South. And we also lost the battle of the Bay with Hampton/Norfolk State. With FAMU bolting for the SWAC that greatly leaves the Florida Classic game in jeopardy at least temporarily as the MEAC may blackball FAMU from scheduling MEAC opponents for a while, and the annual A&T/NCCU game has gone away with A&T bolting for the Big South. I wonder if A&T won the conference title this year would they still play in the Celebration game or would they "forfeit" the league title to play in the playoffs. Social distancing coming into effect the Celebration Bowl (if played this year) check will be lower with not as many tickets for fans being sold and corporate sponsorships may not be as big as they've been in the past..

The Florida Classic is no way in Jeopardy by FAMU joining the SWAC. If anything it just got a boast.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200615/e155962cde6a818cf65d2489e4b26bd1.jpg

Professor
June 15th, 2020, 12:06 PM

1. A&T will play NCCU moving forward

2. When A&T wins the MEAC in 2020 , we will go to the celebration bowl

Anthony215
June 15th, 2020, 01:54 PM
1. A&T will play NCCU moving forward

2. When A&T wins the MEAC in 2020 , we will go to the celebration bowl

If A&T and NCCU keep the game ongoing that's great. Both normally have sellouts and the atmosphere at the game is electric.
As for the Celebration Bowl I guess it makes sense since we don't know the future of the game for A&T to go and win to claim the first and last Celebration Bowl titles.

Lastly I would lie to see A&T somehow be able to still regularly play SC State as they had some pretty good games in recent years.

bluedog
June 15th, 2020, 02:06 PM
If A&T and NCCU keep the game ongoing that's great. Both normally have sellouts and the atmosphere at the game is electric.
As for the Celebration Bowl I guess it makes sense since we don't know the future of the game for A&T to go and win to claim the first and last Celebration Bowl titles.

Lastly I would lie to see A&T somehow be able to still regularly play SC State as they had some pretty good games in recent years.

I don't quite get what you mean. What are you trying to say?

WileECoyote06
June 15th, 2020, 02:36 PM

He's making a lot of assumptions.

1) No guarantee A&T wins the league.
2) No guarantee A&T wins the Celebration Bowl if they win the league.
3) If A&T were to win the league and win the Celebration Bowl then their victories would 'book-end' the contract.

bluedog
June 15th, 2020, 02:52 PM

3) If A&T were to win the league and win the Celebration Bowl then their victories would 'book-end' the contract.Got it. So they are still eligble to win a meac title even in this transition?

WestCoastAggie
June 15th, 2020, 02:53 PM
Got it. So they are still eligble to win a meac title even in this transition?

A&T and FAMU are eligible for all conference championships in the MEAC this 2020/2021 school year

bluedog
June 15th, 2020, 02:56 PM
A&T and FAMU are eligible for all conference championships in the MEAC this 2020/2021 school yearGot it!

TheKingpin28
June 15th, 2020, 02:56 PM
A&T and FAMU are eligible for all conference championships in the MEAC this 2020/2021 school year

Is FAMU still on APR post-season ban?

Anthony215
June 15th, 2020, 03:09 PM

The contract for that game is over after this season isn't it? No new deal has been signed and if another school like BCU or NCCU leaves the conference I can't see another big media deal for a Celebration bowl between the SWAC and a unstable MEAC that would only have 6 teams left in the conference for football? So my statement was if this is the final year for the game A&T would have won the first Celebration Bowl as well as the last one played. 2015 & 2020.

WestCoastAggie
June 15th, 2020, 03:25 PM
Is FAMU still on APR post-season ban?
No. I’d pencil in either one for the playoffs, if they happen.

Professor
June 15th, 2020, 03:44 PM

3) If A&T were to win the league and win the Celebration Bowl then their victories would 'book-end' the contract.

Lol

1. It's a 3 team race for the MEAC , NCA&T , SCSU and FAMU
2. A&T has never lost a Celebration Bowl and matches up with SWAC potential teams
3. I doubt that. The Celebration Bowl is going to get extended.

TheKingpin28
June 15th, 2020, 03:58 PM
No. I’d pencil in either one for the playoffs, if they happen.

If FAMU and NCAT have seasons like last season, one will for sure make the playoffs. I can't remember, but are you planning on coming up for the game if it still happens and they let people show up?

WestCoastAggie
June 15th, 2020, 04:09 PM
If FAMU and NCAT have seasons like last season, one will for sure make the playoffs. I can't remember, but are you planning on coming up for the game if it still happens and they let people show up?

Unfortunately, I am hanging back but there should still be a contingent of dedicated Aggies to make the trip. The last I heard from our AD, our game is still a go.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 15th, 2020, 04:40 PM

I remember there was a thread several years ago about Tennessee St possibly moving to the SWAC. I said then that this was not a good idea. I still believe that TSU moving to the SWAC is not a good idea.

TheKingpin28
June 15th, 2020, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately, I am hanging back but there should still be a contingent of dedicated Aggies to make the trip. The last I heard from our AD, our game is still a go.I'm still of the belief that if you can convince our AD to have our band "not show up" for the game and we give your band their seats, I would be beyond thrilled for that.

I can promise that your fans will be beyond welcomed to Fargo. Sorry to hear that you wont be able to make it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ASU33
June 15th, 2020, 08:31 PM
Lol

1. It's a 3 team race for the MEAC , NCA&T , SCSU and FAMU
2. A&T has never lost a Celebration Bowl and matches up with SWAC potential teams
3. I doubt that. The Celebration Bowl is going to get extended.

How much would you like to wager on #3?

WileECoyote06
June 16th, 2020, 01:13 AM
I'm still of the belief that if you can convince our AD to have our band "not show up" for the game and we give your band their seats, I would be beyond thrilled for that.

I can promise that your fans will be beyond welcomed to Fargo. Sorry to hear that you wont be able to make it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, visiting bands might not be a thing this year. Our AD told us we won't host any of our MEAC or CIAA rivals' bands during our home games, so I'd imagine the other public NC schools will not allow their bands to travel either.

OhioHen
June 16th, 2020, 06:35 AM
Unfortunately, visiting bands might not be a thing this year. Our AD told us we won't host any of our MEAC or CIAA rivals' bands during our home games, so I'd imagine NC schools will not allow their bands to travel either.

That just plain sucks. The atmosphere enhancement created by the presence of both HBCU bands is part of the experience.

And a true lost opportunity for the OOC fans that miss out on the excitement those bands bring when they travel.

TheKingpin28
June 16th, 2020, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, visiting bands might not be a thing this year. Our AD told us we won't host any of our MEAC or CIAA rivals' bands during our home games, so I'd imagine the other public NC schools will not allow their bands to travel either.

I mean, we'd be more than happy to let the Gold Star Marching Band sit out a game and since about 100 students stay for the game, they can spread themselves out a little bit? We'll even throw in some Applebee's Gift Cards since coming to Fargo means you must eat at a chain restaurant, for you know, the full Fargo experience. xlolx