PDA

View Full Version : Who will have the best Defense In the country this year?

thadude45
August 16th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Just wondering, any predictions.

ISUMatt
August 16th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Just wondering, any predictions.

I am going out on a limb and saying Western Kentucky will be Top 5!!!

Fordham
August 16th, 2005, 08:24 PM
us

why not? it's August

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Georgetown had two of the top 10 players in sacks last season. Both are back.

txstatebobcat
August 16th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Northwestern St should have at least a top 5 defense.

X-Factor
August 16th, 2005, 10:36 PM
2nd vote for Northwestern St.

WCU LawCat
August 16th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I'm not going to say that WCU will be the best, but we finished 12th in the nation last season and we have most everyone back.

I also give a vote to Furman's defense. It will be solid.

mainejeff
August 16th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Maine.

eagleskins
August 16th, 2005, 11:42 PM
If the youngsters perform well on the DLine, then GSU.

Mr. C
August 17th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Northwestern State should be very good again (No. 2 in the country last year, would have been No. 1 if they wouldn't have had to deal with DaVon Fowlkes of ASU and then Montana in the playoffs). WKU is always among the best. Southern Illinois should reload. Furman and Western Carolina will be solid in the SoCon. Appalachian State should have one of the most improved defenses in the country, with DE Jason Hunter and FS Corey Lynch back in the lineup. Georgia Southern will be tremendous, if their DLine can overcome inexperience. There will be a bunch of tough ones in the A-10, UMass, JMU (if the new LBs jell). Delaware always find a way to be good on D. Montana could be real improved on defense. And don't forget Cal Poly. Jordan Beck said his replacement is just as good as he was and they also have Chris Gocong and Aaron Williams beack at DE and CB.

MR. CHICKEN
August 17th, 2005, 07:14 AM
VILLANOVA'S SPECIALTY DIS SEASON.......DEFENSE!.......:(.......AWK!

SoCon48
August 17th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I'm not going to say that WCU will be the best, but we finished 12th in the nation last season and we have most everyone back.

I also give a vote to Furman's defense. It will be solid.

Most everybody back? You have 6 returning starters on defense. Lost S Owens, LB Sullivan, DT Reid, DE Coffin, DT Johnson

kats89
August 17th, 2005, 07:37 AM
I will throw in a vote for Northwestern St. They return just about everyone on that side of the ball.

Pard94
August 17th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Lafayette returns everybody from a dominating defense last year!

Ronbo
August 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Only two seniors on the Griz Defense this year. We're young, but they just might field the best D in the Big Sky. Not in the nation though, we have to face too many high powered offenses. I'd be happy if they can sit in the top 25 somewhere, if you face teams that put up 400+ yards offensively week in and week out it's tough to rank high.

FightinBluHen51
August 17th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Northwestern State should be very good again (No. 2 in the country last year, would have been No. 1 if they wouldn't have had to deal with DaVon Fowlkes of ASU and then Montana in the playoffs). WKU is always among the best. Southern Illinois should reload. Furman and Western Carolina will be solid in the SoCon. Appalachian State should have one of the most improved defenses in the country, with DE Jason Hunter and FS Corey Lynch back in the lineup. Georgia Southern will be tremendous, if their DLine can overcome inexperience. There will be a bunch of tough ones in the A-10, UMass, JMU (if the new LBs jell). Delaware always find a way to be good on D. Montana could be real improved on defense. And don't forget Cal Poly. Jordan Beck said his replacement is just as good as he was and they also have Chris Gocong and Aaron Williams beack at DE and CB.

We're thin @ DL, especially DE. From what I'm reading, the true frosh DEs are pretty tallented, and will hopefully grow up pretty quick. That said, our LB core should be good and the starting DBs should be decent. If they develop into cover corners and tough Safeties against the pass, the front seven should do their job well. That said, I'd handicap us as a top 15~17 defense to start the season.

A-10 defensively, I'd think UMass will be a bear this year. Returning a lot of players and Don Brown hopefully will have his schemes straightened out by then.

Outside of that, I'd have to say the normal suspects of NWS, Furman, GSU, and probably WKU too.

Gil Dobie
August 17th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Another vote for Northwestern State.

TigerFan17
August 17th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I vote us for having the best secondary :D

The line, however..... :eek:

colgate13
August 17th, 2005, 09:16 AM
NW St. It's the reason why I picked them #1 in the AGS poll.

For the PL, Bucknell will be stout, but then again so will Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate....

89Hen
August 17th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Broken record... the NWSt Purple Swarm has to be the favorite.

Bobcat94
August 17th, 2005, 11:03 AM
I hate the fact that my first post is in support of NWST as having the best "D". However, they play in San Marcos this year.............

kats89
August 17th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I hate the fact that my first post is in support of NWST as having the best "D". However, they play in San Marcos this year.............

Don't feel bad about picking their defense. The return just about everyone on a defense that was a top 5 defense last year.

ngineer
August 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Defense can be measured different ways. In terms of stats versus points allowed. Lehigh has been a top defensive teams of recent vintage when it comes to points allowed, but we do give up a lot of yards at times. As far as reprsenting the PL--Bucknell, Lafayette, Colgate and Lehigh would seem to be all bunched defensively. Bison have some of the 'names' (i.e. Conover), but the 'Pards have virtually everyone back and 'gate and Lehigh have good cores returning.

Killsback
August 17th, 2005, 09:11 PM
I will vote for the Salukis..They return a ton of experience for a team that was top 5 a year ago.

eagleskins
August 17th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I vote us for having the best secondary :D

The line, however..... :eek:

Don't know that anybody's secondary can match up with GSU. All 4 guys are preseason all Socon.

Umass74
August 18th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Don't know that anybody's secondary can match up with GSU. All 4 guys are preseason all Socon.

Uh Well, UMass' starting four are:

Tracy Belton CB---All A10 2004 nine career ints (five in 2004)

Steve Costello CB--- All A10 2003 (preseason 2004 All-American) Medical redshirt last year. Led A10 with six interceptions in 2003

Shannon James FS---First team 2004 All-American. Leading active career interceptor in IA and I-AA (sixteen)

James Ihedigbo SS--- Career 101UT 25AT 125TT 6TFL 4INT

Backing them up are newcomers:

Michael Meggett----Transfer from West Virginia. Rivals three stars. Rated one of the top 150 players in the East by PrepStar.

Sean Smalls--- Rivals three stars. One of the the top rated players to sign with a I-AA school in 2004 (maybe THE top)

We like our group too :)

LBPop
August 18th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Defense can be measured different ways. In terms of stats versus points allowed. Lehigh has been a top defensive teams of recent vintage when it comes to points allowed, but we do give up a lot of yards at times. As far as reprsenting the PL--Bucknell, Lafayette, Colgate and Lehigh would seem to be all bunched defensively. Bison have some of the 'names' (i.e. Conover), but the 'Pards have virtually everyone back and 'gate and Lehigh have good cores returning.

Don't blame anyone for ignoring the Hoyas, but if their offense can only put up a few first downs to keep the defense off the field for a while, they will be a tough group on which to move the ball. I've never seen this statistic, but if someone tracked yards per play rather than yards per game, I would bet Georgetown's rating would climb quite a bit.

TigerFan17
August 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I retract my vote for us having the best secondary and re-adjust it to one of the best. Mainly at the corners.

Allante Harrison (pre-season all-american)
Davon Telp (pre-season all a-10)