PDA

View Full Version : Oregon bans fans through September

dgtw
May 7th, 2020, 06:07 PM
The state of Oregon has banned fans from sporting events through the end of September. Oregon is scheduled to host the Bison on September 5.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theozone.net/2020/05/no-fans-ducks-game-oregon-gov-nixes-crowds-sporting-events-september/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cx500d
May 7th, 2020, 06:10 PM
The state of Oregon has banned fans from sporting events through the end of September. Oregon is scheduled to host the Bison on September 5.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theozone.net/2020/05/no-fans-ducks-game-oregon-gov-nixes-crowds-sporting-events-september/amp/

oh oh....

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2020, 06:12 PM
Watch the Ducks seek to move the game. Not to Fargo, but where the fans could travel.

cx500d
May 7th, 2020, 06:15 PM
Watch the Ducks seek to move the game. Not to Fargo, but where the fans could travel.

I'm thinking a buyout is coming

Laker
May 7th, 2020, 06:21 PM

Last week Oregon was talking about having students come in for classes in the fall. I wonder what changed?

Move the game to the Viking's stadium. I'd go to that game since the Mavs play that Thursday. Can't tell me that they couldn't bring in at least 40,000 people.

dgtw
May 7th, 2020, 06:43 PM
There was an article in the Birmingham media about Alabama’s buy games. (Including a game against Tennessee-Martin). It said the contracts have a clause that allows them to get out of the contract if the game is canceled due to dire circumstances. The gist of it was they could get out without paying if the NCAA shortened the season.

Oregon may well have a similar clause that could get them out of this game. They also host Ohio State In September.

citdog
May 7th, 2020, 07:32 PM
Those clauses are "act of God". Can only cancel without paying the guarantee if an " act of God" makes it impossible to play the game (See hurricane). A plan for the season months before it starts isn't an "act of God".

FormerPokeCenter
May 7th, 2020, 08:03 PM
A virus with a 2 to 14 day incubation that can be spread asymptomatically? Unless the NCAA is going to test every team, every week, I don't see how they're gonna be able to hold this season from a liability standpoint, alone. And, large gatherings? Yeah, that's not gonna happen. You gonna test everybody before you let them into the stadium? If you don't and somebody get sick then you're gonna open yourself up to the same sort of action that Bars who have a lot of fights and who don't upgrade their security routinely open themselves up to.

The contracts for FCS Money games were made with the understanding that the host teams would be able to pay the visitors out of the home ticket sales and the concessions. That's not going to happen this year, for a variety of reasons.

The precautions necessary to ensure that Covid isn't needlessly transmitted at a sporting event are such that the Force Majure clauses in those contracts will be EASY to invoke for the teams who want to. I'm hoping we don't, but I have to face that fact that Louisiana has a ridiculously high transmission rate. I'll be surprised if we have a season.

Maybe the teams in areas where there's not much transmission can have some sort of a season...The rest of us are screwed.

cx500d
May 7th, 2020, 08:10 PM
A virus with a 2 to 14 day incubation that can be spread asymptomatically? Unless the NCAA is going to test every team, every week, I don't see how they're gonna be able to hold this season from a liability standpoint, alone. And, large gatherings? Yeah, that's not gonna happen. You gonna test everybody before you let them into the stadium? If you don't and somebody get sick then you're gonna open yourself up to the same sort of action that Bars who have a lot of fights and who don't upgrade their security routinely open themselves up to.

The contracts for FCS Money games were made with the understanding that the host teams would be able to pay the visitors out of the home ticket sales and the concessions. That's not going to happen this year, for a variety of reasons.

The precautions necessary to ensure that Covid isn't needlessly transmitted at a sporting event are such that the Force Majure clauses in those contracts will be EASY to invoke for the teams who want to. I'm hoping we don't, but I have to face that fact that Louisiana has a ridiculously high transmission rate. I'll be surprised if we have a season.

Maybe the teams in areas where there's not much transmission can have some sort of a season...The rest of us are screwed.

I didn't know STD's factored into this?

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2020, 08:13 PM
Those clauses are "act of God". Can only cancel without paying the guarantee if an " act of God" makes it impossible to play the game (See hurricane). A plan for the season months before it starts isn't an "act of God".

It'd be an interesting argument and dependent on the language in the agreement and the specific circumstances (for instance, which governing body canceled the game).

Difficult for FCS schools, though, is that if these sorts of games are canceled, that is going to have serious impact on athletic budgets.

FormerPokeCenter
May 7th, 2020, 08:17 PM
I didn't know STD's factored into this?

With 4 divorces under your belt, you should KNOW that STDS factor into just about everything...

cx500d
May 7th, 2020, 08:22 PM
With 4 divorces under your belt, you should KNOW that STDS factor into just about everything...
My rep goes bigger with every smack post

POD Knows
May 7th, 2020, 08:24 PM
My rep goes bigger with every smack postThat is how legends are made, there is rarely any basis in fact, just keep riding the wave dude.

cx500d
May 7th, 2020, 08:25 PM
That is how legends are made, there is rarely any basis in fact, just keep riding the wave dude.
I revel in it.

dgtw
May 7th, 2020, 08:26 PM

Here is the language from the contract. Again, this only applies to the University of Alabama.

“In the event of fire, flood, hurricane, war, invasion, hostilities, rebellion, insurrection, confiscation by order of government, military or public authority or prohibitory or governmental authority, including that of the Southeastern Conference or the National Collegiate Athletic Association, making it impossible or impractical to play the game, both parties shall be relieved of any and all obligations of this agreement.”

FormerPokeCenter
May 7th, 2020, 08:36 PM
Here is the language from the contract. Again, this only applies to the University of Alabama.

“In the event of fire, flood, hurricane, war, invasion, hostilities, rebellion, insurrection, confiscation by order of government, military or public authority or prohibitory or governmental authority, including that of the Southeastern Conference or the National Collegiate Athletic Association, making it impossible or impractical to play the game, both parties shall be relieved of any and all obligations of this agreement.”

That's kinda awkwardly worded; I think there should have been a comma after "public authority." But, I'll bet that the courts would interpret it pretty broadly and that prohibitory or governmental authority reference, with the "including the SEC and the NCAA" are gonna be what they hang their hats on, if they elect to invoke force majure...

dgtw
May 7th, 2020, 09:01 PM
That's kinda awkwardly worded; I think there should have been a comma after "public authority." But, I'll bet that the courts would interpret it pretty broadly and that prohibitory or governmental authority reference, with the "including the SEC and the NCAA" are gonna be what they hang their hats on, if they elect to invoke force majure...

Obviously, you can’t plan for every contingency. So the lawyers put that in to cover themselves the best they could. If the NCAA eliminated the game you couldn’t expect the host team to pay the fee. But (as in Oregon’s case) if they can play but without fans, they would be on the hook for what the contract called for.

This was from Alabama, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this clause is standard elsewhere.

citdog
May 7th, 2020, 09:13 PM

Shut up Poindexter.

FormerPokeCenter
May 7th, 2020, 09:16 PM
Obviously, you can’t plan for every contingency. So the lawyers put that in to cover themselves the best they could. If the NCAA eliminated the game you couldn’t expect the host team to pay the fee. But (as in Oregon’s case) if they can play but without fans, they would be on the hook for what the contract called for.

This was from Alabama, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this clause is standard elsewhere.

Oh, I understand why it's in there, I just think that it desperately needs a comma. If you're gonna argue against the force majure, that wording - sans comma - seems to restrict all of those entities to cancelling a game for reasons only relating to confiscation by governmental order. Adding the comma puts the prohibitory and governmental authority to cancel games, as well as that of the SEC and the NCAA independent of confiscation, riot, insurrection and war etc. It's just awkward. Awkward and ambiguous tends to get interpreted in favor of the lesser party in the contract...But, it's Alabama, so - in one respect - the comma getting waylaid in Birmingham and thus never making it to Oxford doesn't surprise me.

grizband
May 8th, 2020, 01:53 AM
Last week Oregon was talking about having students come in for classes in the fall. I wonder what changed?

Move the game to the Viking's stadium. I'd go to that game since the Mavs play that Thursday. Can't tell me that they couldn't bring in at least 40,000 people.
Oregon doesn't begin classes until September 29.

FormerPokeCenter
May 8th, 2020, 01:55 AM
Shut up Poindexter.

Oh look, a yippy little bulldog, making noise from the porch...

JSUSoutherner
May 8th, 2020, 06:31 AM
This is all assuming football season even happens.

caribbeanhen
May 8th, 2020, 08:18 AM
That is how legends are made, there is rarely any basis in fact, just keep riding the wave dude.

but will he be a living legend...

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2020, 08:52 AM

I can see arguments in both directions based on that wording.

Notably, this contract references "impracticability" of playing, not the "impossibility." That would be a lower burden.

The SEC wouldn't have any issue cutting out small out of conference games, I would imagine. The NCAA may see the greater impact on college athletics.

JALMOND
May 8th, 2020, 11:16 AM

Our wonderful (dis)Honorable governor Kate Brown is holding out hope that a vaccine will be developed soon. Until then, she will keep the state shut down. Too funny (not).

dbackjon
May 8th, 2020, 11:24 AM
So Portland State has been ahead of the curve with the no fans rule?

JALMOND
May 8th, 2020, 11:53 AM
So Portland State has been ahead of the curve with the no fans rule?

We try to be on the cutting edge of the trend, that is for sure. xlolx xnodx

This will impact our one home game with Montana State as well. Cat fans do love to travel but they will not be able to attend the game.

cx500d
May 8th, 2020, 12:03 PM
It's an oregon plot against NDSU. They know we have already bought up all the tickets, making Eugene Fargo West.

TheKingpin28
May 8th, 2020, 12:22 PM
It's an oregon plot against NDSU. They know we have already bought up all the tickets, making Eugene Fargo West.

I mean, would you want your team to have to play against a guy they should have offered at QB but did not?

FormerPokeCenter
May 8th, 2020, 02:37 PM
I can see arguments in both directions based on that wording.

Notably, this contract references "impracticability" of playing, not the "impossibility." That would be a lower burden.

The SEC wouldn't have any issue cutting out small out of conference games, I would imagine. The NCAA may see the greater impact on college athletics.

Some of the bigger programs take out policies ensuring against the loss of a game. LSU, for instance, had an insurance policy for our game that was cancelled due to lighting in 2015. Even through we only ran one series each, LSU still paid us the $400K for the trip, because the game was insured...

I'm guessing at that level, insurance policies for stuff like that are pretty common. At that point, it'll be up to the insuror's exclusionary language. I'm hearing anecdotal stories that some of the non-standard Business Interruption policies don't specifically exclude viruses, so some of those insurors may be facing some significant claims. Most insurance defense attorneys I've talked to in the last month have indicated that they're seeing the specific virus exclusion...but I'm guessing there's gonna be a signficant effort to retrocover losses either through legislative or judicial action. It'll be a fun ride.

cx500d
May 8th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Some of the bigger programs take out policies ensuring against the loss of a game. LSU, for instance, had an insurance policy for our game that was cancelled due to lighting in 2015. Even through we only ran one series each, LSU still paid us the $400K for the trip, because the game was insured...

I'm guessing at that level, insurance policies for stuff like that are pretty common. At that point, it'll be up to the insuror's exclusionary language. I'm hearing anecdotal stories that some of the non-standard Business Interruption policies don't specifically exclude viruses, so some of those insurors may be facing some significant claims. Most insurance defense attorneys I've talked to in the last month have indicated that they're seeing the specific virus exclusion...but I'm guessing there's gonna be a signficant effort to retrocover losses either through legislative or judicial action. It'll be a fun ride.

what was the score, 14-0?

FormerPokeCenter
May 8th, 2020, 03:30 PM
what was the score, 14-0?

Negatory...

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/lsureveille.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/c1/7c193374-5450-11e5-86da-83c6431d9c91/55ebc23414b90.image.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 9th, 2020, 10:09 AM
I bet Oregon/NDSU doesn't happen.

Sader87
May 9th, 2020, 10:19 AM

I'm starting to think college football in 2020 in total doesn't happen.... :(

JALMOND
May 9th, 2020, 10:58 AM

From what I'm hearing, the Ducks want the game and will do what they can to get it done. In talking to a few Duck fans, the purpose of the game has not changed. The Ducks have Ohio State at home the next week and they do not want to go into that game "cold" (not having played a game yet). As long as they keep the Ohio State game, my feeling is the NDSU game will be played in Eugene.

caribbeanhen
May 9th, 2020, 11:40 AM
From what I'm hearing, the Ducks want the game and will do what they can to get it done. In talking to a few Duck fans, the purpose of the game has not changed. The Ducks have Ohio State at home the next week and they do not want to go into that game "cold" (not having played a game yet). As long as they keep the Ohio State game, my feeling is the NDSU game will be played in Eugene.

I would love to see this game but not counting on it

Not happening

favorite football fan
May 10th, 2020, 09:19 PM

Sure it will happen. With all the high IQ's in this forum, surely a plan will be developed that is plausible in which teams can play with no fans and no students on campus. It will take testing before the game, during the game and after the game. After the game, we test and monitor every hour on the hour; the student-athletes will be confined to their dorm room or off-campus room if they get infected for 14 days but practices will continue because everyone knows that they are doing such in Germany with soccer and some Micronesian Republic is having their annual cricket contests with no fans. Who cares if there are no students on campus as they will take their classes online. The training table will have to practice safe social distancing and the weight room will have to be sterilized after every team lifting. I am just amazed that the NCAA has not consulted with the intelligentsia on this forum.

citdog
May 11th, 2020, 02:18 AM
Sure it will happen. With all the high IQ's in this forum, surely a plan will be developed that is plausible in which teams can play with no fans and no students on campus. It will take testing before the game, during the game and after the game. After the game, we test and monitor every hour on the hour; the student-athletes will be confined to their dorm room or off-campus room if they get infected for 14 days but practices will continue because everyone knows that they are doing such in Germany with soccer and some Micronesian Republic is having their annual cricket contests with no fans. Who cares if there are no students on campus as they will take their classes online. The training table will have to practice safe social distancing and the weight room will have to be sterilized after every team lifting. I am just amazed that the NCAA has not consulted with the intelligentsia on this forum.

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--6IJAKQf---/c_crop,x_10,y_10/c_fit,w_846/c_crop,g_north_west,h_1007,w_1007,x_-81,y_-91/l_upload:v1507037313:production:blanks:n2pk899a8qr zxtz4tyvn/fl_layer_apply,g_north_west,x_-208,y_-222/b_rgb:000000/c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1561032566/production/designs/5115124_0.jpg

clenz
May 11th, 2020, 09:19 AM
I mean, would you want your team to have to play against a guy they should have offered at QB but did not?
Yeah - Oregon is really hurting for QB talent out of HS.

Those 4* top 50-100 recruits they have to cry into their pillow about have them real shook up.

TheKingpin28
May 11th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Yeah - Oregon is really hurting for QB talent out of HS.

Those 4* top 50-100 recruits they have to cry into their pillow about have them real shook up.

https://i.imgur.com/dNfHNmb.gif

mvfcfan
May 21st, 2020, 07:15 AM
NDSU will win if there are no fans. They have lots of practice playing in front of 75% empty stadiums.

Lorne_Malvo
May 21st, 2020, 11:20 AM
NDSU will win if there are no fans. They have lots of practice playing in front of 75% empty stadiums.

How so?
The trees average attendance ~ 4,500. NDSU ~17,000.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 21st, 2020, 11:49 AM
How so?

No way the Trees ave that.

Mocs123
May 21st, 2020, 11:58 AM
How so?

I think he is poking fun of not the Bison, but the other 95% of FCS schools that can't fill their stadiums. We are as guilty as anyone having 10K for a good game in a 20K seat stadium.

DFW HOYA
May 21st, 2020, 12:14 PM
I'm starting to think college football in 2020 in total doesn't happen.... :(

HC fans are particularly pessimistic, as if they are expecting not to play. If the PL plays with six and HC wants to sit it out, it will go with six.

NDB
May 21st, 2020, 01:40 PM

Didn't know word got out that we refer to games against Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, Indiana State, and Missouri State as 'practice'.

mvfcfan
May 21st, 2020, 02:10 PM
I think he is poking fun of not the Bison, but the other 95% of FCS schools that can't fill their stadiums. We are as guilty as anyone having 10K for a good game in a 20K seat stadium.

You are correct. Not poking fun at the Bison, but the schools they play against including mine.

ST_Lawson
May 21st, 2020, 04:17 PM
Didn't know word got out that we refer to games against Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, Indiana State, and Missouri State as 'practice'.

Our fans were doing "social distancing" before it was cool.

cx500d
May 21st, 2020, 04:22 PM

I thought you guys just play away games

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 21st, 2020, 09:04 PM

I walked around WIUs campus when I went to the Bison game there a few years ago. Nice campus. Too bad the state of Illinois is run by idiots.

Go Green
May 22nd, 2020, 09:01 AM
If the PL plays with six and HC wants to sit it out, it will go with six.

I think the Ivy will do the opposite. If one can't play, then nobody plays.

We will see...

cx500d
May 22nd, 2020, 09:02 AM

We will see...
One for all, and all for one!

citdog
May 22nd, 2020, 12:32 PM

We will see...

If you don't nobody will notice except for the idiots who put your schools in the Top 25 poll.

Go Green
May 22nd, 2020, 01:29 PM
If you don't nobody will notice except for the idiots who put your schools in the Top 25 poll.

You can knock us all you want. But we haven't lost a member since our 1954 founding.

Pretty sure that only the Big 10 can likewise boast of that type of longevity.... :)

cx500d
May 22nd, 2020, 01:30 PM
You can knock us all you want. But we haven't lost a member since our 1954 founding.

Pretty sure that only the Big 10 can likewise boast of that type of longevity.... :)
who cares?

citdog
May 22nd, 2020, 01:46 PM

Well that's something....I guess xdrunkyx

cx500d
May 22nd, 2020, 01:49 PM

Well that's something....I guess xdrunkyx

You both have something in common --> zero 1-AA/FCS football championships.

citdog
May 22nd, 2020, 01:54 PM
You both have something in common --> zero 1-AA/FCS football championships.

"Loser at smack."

cx500d
May 22nd, 2020, 02:06 PM
"Loser at smack."

"Talks smack from a position of inadequacy"

citdog
May 22nd, 2020, 02:14 PM
"Talks smack from a position of inadequacy"

Perhaps that is why smack is talked...

https://cdn.nohat.cc/thumb/f/720/6320552184643584.jpg

cx500d
May 22nd, 2020, 02:39 PM
Perhaps that is why smack is talked...

https://cdn.nohat.cc/thumb/f/720/6320552184643584.jpg

I suppose, since you got nothing in reality

citdog
May 22nd, 2020, 04:00 PM
I suppose, since you got nothing in reality

We got plenty. Whilst your school was beating up on cripples at the DII level we played at the highest level for almost 80 years.

NDSU football until the bison "transitioned" to DI

https://youtu.be/Gqw1FI1hfJA

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 23rd, 2020, 09:20 AM
We got plenty. Whilst your school was beating up on cripples at the DII level we played at the highest level for almost 80 years.

https://youtu.be/Gqw1FI1hfJA

What a "history" for your school:

All time winning % of .477 and a staggering total of 4 conference titles in that " history"....wow!

Pinnacle of success!!!!

cx500d
May 23rd, 2020, 12:27 PM
We got plenty. Whilst your school was beating up on cripples at the DII level we have been consistently losing at the highest level for almost 80 years.

FYP

JALMOND
May 26th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Update on the Oregon situation, per OLive columnist John Canzano.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/05/canzano-coronavirus-football-question-at-oregon-and-oregon-state-has-changed.html

Sounds like the games will go on, mainly because the Ducks (and the conference) don't want to lose the Ohio State game. I think if they play that game, they'll play the NDSU game. The question is whether in front of fans or not.

ElCid
May 26th, 2020, 07:46 PM
Update on the Oregon situation, per OLive columnist John Canzano.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/05/canzano-coronavirus-football-question-at-oregon-and-oregon-state-has-changed.html

Sounds like the games will go on, mainly because the Ducks (and the conference) don't want to lose the Ohio State game. I think if they play that game, they'll play the NDSU game. The question is whether in front of fans or not.

I think a lot of people were, are, being a bit premature. Never know what will go on 3-4 months from now. Laying out options is one thing. But making proclamations of what the status of everything will be was, is, silly. As I said a while ago, I think the season will come off just fine. My gut feeling.

Go Green
May 27th, 2020, 06:10 AM
Never know what will go on 3-4 months from now.

True, we don't "know" what the situation will be in Fall. But we can take pretty good guesses....

That said, I agree with your larger point that there is little downside to waiting as long as possible to make decisions on Fall sports. A poster on the Ivy Board says that the league has all but decided to cancel Fall sports and will be announcing the news in short order. I'm hoping that he's full of ****, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least either.

cx500d
May 27th, 2020, 06:13 AM
True, we don't "know" what the situation will be in Fall. But we can take pretty good guesses....

That said, I agree with your larger point that there is little downside to waiting as long as possible to make decisions on Fall sports. A poster on the Ivy Board says that the league has all but decided to cancel Fall sports and will be announcing the news in short order. I'm hoping that he's full of ****, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least either.
Probably for the best; I’ve heard it’s more difficult to do homework, tests, pass classes etc., if sports went on during the school year

bonarae
May 27th, 2020, 06:30 AM

Ouch, if it is really true. xsmhx

So, how would the PFL and even the PL do in scheduling replacement OOC opponents if the Ivies do back out?

Go Green
May 27th, 2020, 07:25 AM
Probably for the best; I’ve heard it’s more difficult to do homework, tests, pass classes etc., if sports went on during the school year

Yeah, yeah....

My gut that if it is true, it will be because one Ivy school (Columbia or Harvard are the best guesses) is unlikely to be open in the Fall. And the rest of us will voluntarily forego sports out of solidarity.

But we will see...

JALMOND
May 27th, 2020, 11:37 AM
Podcast between Oregon Live columnist John Canzano and Mike McFeely, NDSU sportswriter from Tuesday's Bald Faced Truth show.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bft-interview-mike-mcfeely/id947734998?i=1000475878094

Both talking will the game be played, should the game be played, as well as some insight on the Bison team.