View Full Version : St. Peter's Drops Football

Fresno St. Alum
June 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM
here's the link

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2904419

That doesn't help out the non-scholarship summit or Bryant entering the MAAC

Model Citizen
June 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
The timing of the announcement was not coincidental. The remnants of the MAAC have set their plans. St. Peter's doesn't have the money to follow, so this is the end of the line.

I think you'll hear something on the other MAAC schools (and the MAAC itself) soon.

Franks Tanks
June 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
here's the link

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2904419

That doesn't help out the non-scholarship summit or Bryant entering the MAAC

Always sad to see anyone drop football, and I feel bad for Chris Taylor who is a great guy and a former Lafayette Player and coach. But this one I have to say makes sense, they couldnt get anybody to come and play for them with only 47 kids on the team, had a terrible facility in a not so great of an area in Jersey City, and the talent on that team would do only a little betetr at d-III. How about the article saying St. Johns moved leagues, they dropped football about 5 years ago

UNHWildCats
June 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM
IS this effective immediatly? If so theres some teams who now have holes to fill for 2007 schedules

Lehigh Football Nation
June 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Never good to see a FCS program drop football. I feel for the kids in the program.

But it looks like the wheels are in motion now to finally pull the plug on the MAAC for good... unless something else comes from the non-scholly "conference" today.

Fresno St. Alum
June 14th, 2007, 04:10 PM
maybe this is the push LaSalle,Iona & Marist need to add schollys and get into the NEC for FB. Marist to the PL

Go...gate
June 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Just looked at the Press Release on the SPC website, which made reference to the general "demise" of the MAAC football conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 14th, 2007, 04:17 PM
You ain't kidding:

“We feel that at this time with the demise of the MAAC Football League and recruiting difficulties that we are having, that it is time to no longer sponsor a football program,” said Stein. “I have a responsibility for the health, safety and well being of our student-athletes.”

Equals. Officially Dead.

Fresno St. Alum
June 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Who ever had St.Peter's on their schedule better scramble to find an NAIA team to play

Go...gate
June 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM
IS this effective immediatly? If so theres some teams who now have holes to fill for 2007 schedules

July 1, 2007, so there will be scheduling issues.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Who ever had St.Peter's on their schedule better scramble to find an NAIA team to play

Wagner, St. Francis(PA), Monmouth... never mind Duquesne, Iona, LaSalle, Marist.

Fresno St. Alum
June 14th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I'm wearing the St. Peter's helmet avatar for a day as a final goodbye

UNHWildCats
June 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I'm wearing the St. Peter's helmet avatar for a day as a final goodbye

To cut and run like that after teams finalized their schedules is pathetic they dont deserve the respect of having u wear there helmet avatar.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
What's the current status of Dusquesne, Marist, Iona and La Salle?

rmutv
June 14th, 2007, 05:46 PM
What's the current status of Dusquesne, Marist, Iona and La Salle?

Duquesne is joining the NEC beginning in 2008.

Marist, Iona, and La Salle have not decided yet. Marist has been talked about quite a bit on this board and others about being a contender for the Patriot League.

All three could join the NEC if they choose to add limited scholarships.

They could join the Pioneer League if they choose to stay non-scholarship.

aztecjim
June 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I wish the NCAA would "re-visit" the idea and let schools stay in D-III for football. How many I-AA/FCS teams have folded since the rule? St. John, Canisius,Fairfield, St. Peter, St. Mary(CA), Evansville,....

travelinman67
June 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM
To cut and run like that after teams finalized their schedules is pathetic they dont deserve the respect of having u wear there helmet avatar.

Horsecr%p! I've spoken with coaches at both St. Peters and Iona just this year about their recruiting. They have the toughest jobs to attract quality players, maintain a competitive program and look after their players. And do it all in the NY area...with operational costs being what they are!

I salute St. Peters for staying in the battle as long as they could. Hope that Chris Taylor and their staff can find a good home.

UNHWildCats
June 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Horsecr%p! I've spoken with coaches at both St. Peters and Iona just this year about their recruiting. They have the toughest jobs to attract quality players, maintain a competitive program and look after their players. And do it all in the NY area...with operational costs being what they are!

I salute St. Peters for staying in the battle as long as they could. Hope that Chris Taylor and their staff can find a good home.

This has nothing to do with them dropping football, but the discussions had to have been going on for awhile why wait so late before deciding... They should have atleast said were dropping it but were gonna play this one final season.

They have instead left a lot of people in tough situations.

Cobblestone
June 14th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Never good to see a FCS program drop football. I feel for the kids in the program.

I feel the same way whenever I see a program get dropped.

GaelsFootball
June 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I don't think this suprises anybody. Everybody knew they couldn't survive much longer, but to cut the program with less than two months until those kids start camp....thats a terrible decision by the school.

danefan
June 14th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I don't think this suprises anybody. Everybody knew they couldn't survive much longer, but to cut the program with less than two months until those kids start camp....thats a terrible decision by the school.

Agreed. What has changed for St. Peter's since spring ball? They should have pulled the plug before spring ball to let those players who wanted to transfer to other schools with a realistic chance of getting some playing time next year.

When Siena dropped, Albany got a few transfers that tried out during spring ball. It worked out well and a few ended up being pretty good.

Seawolf97
June 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
It is a shame . I thought they might have one final season and drop the program for 2008. It is rough on the players and the opponents who now have 10 game schedules.

UAalum72
June 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I wish the NCAA would "re-visit" the idea and let schools stay in D-III for football. How many I-AA/FCS teams have folded since the rule? St. John, Canisius,Fairfield, St. Peter, St. Mary(CA), Evansville,....
What difference would it have made? Could Siena, St. Pete and the other MAAC schools have spent any LESS money? Would attendance have been any different as a D-III? They tried to operate on the cheap and were unsuccessful. They wouldn't have been any good as a D-III in this era either. They weren't terrible because they were losing to full-scholarship programs, they were getting killed by the NEC and Division III schools. If their administrations don't support the sport, it won't work no matter what Division you say they're in.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Absolutely not!

It's BS that teams like Dayton, etc. could use money from DI basketball to fund DIII football.

That rule won't be reversed and it shouldn't.

I'm sick of these half assed teams in FCS. Why do they dump all the teams from DI schools that want to be competitive in bball but not in football but still have a football team here? Make a new division.

Either get competitive or get out of ours.

DFW HOYA
June 14th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I'm sick of these half assed teams in FCS. Why do they dump all the teams from DI schools that want to be competitive in bball but not in football but still have a football team here? Make a new division.Either get competitive or get out of ours.

So, would you you say the same for Division I basketball? Clearly (sarcasm intended) the MEAC, SWAC, Big South, etc. can't make it in Division I basketball given the fact they can't compete, can they? Of course that's not the case.

So what do these schools (St. John's, Siena, SPC, Evansville, etc.) share in common? They're private schools who don't have the luxury of giving out $5,000 in-state tuition scholarships with. The cost of a full grant in aid at St. Peter's tuition is over $30,000 a year. How many scholarships could some of the I-AA/FCS schools on this board fund at $30K a pop? Obviously, some do, but a lot of schools can't.

already123
June 14th, 2007, 08:37 PM
anyone gonna notice them being gone?

dgreco
June 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Does the NEC, or PL really want to take these other schools on? or do you think this forms another football conference maybe pick some CAA teams and bryant, and start the AE football, or work on something different?

Seawolf97
June 14th, 2007, 08:51 PM
So this leaves the PFL plus the remains of the MAC Conference. I have to agree go scholarship or partial like the NEC and be done with it.

UNHWildCats
June 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Does the NEC, or PL really want to take these other schools on? or do you think this forms another football conference maybe pick some CAA teams and bryant, and start the AE football, or work on something different?

Unless they go full scholarship I doubt anyone from the CAA will be joining them in a new conference

Ivytalk
June 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I predict that LaSalle will drop FB within 3 years.xwhistlex xshhhx

BobbyMo
June 14th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I predict that LaSalle will drop FB within 3 years.xwhistlex xshhhx

I was just going to say i thought they would be best fit for the NEC out of the schools left.

Either way it is a shame what happened at St. Petes, hopefully things work out for the teams left. If it was up to me, they would all be welcome with us in the NEC.

hebmskebm
June 14th, 2007, 10:50 PM
La Salle has a suprisingly nice facility.

dgreco
June 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
so how many DI school have been affected by St. Peter's dropping football without notice?

hebmskebm
June 14th, 2007, 11:11 PM
duquesne, lasalle, marist, iona, wagner, st. francis, and monmouth, plus three D3 schools. they were duquesne's homecoming game too :(

duquesne and lasalle now only have nine game schedules, lame on SPC's part for waiting so long and making everybody else scramble

Model Citizen
June 14th, 2007, 11:15 PM
It's hard to ignore these coincidences.

1. The last Gridiron Classic is this year. Viverito opposes continuing.

2. St. Peter's dropped football, leaving three schools committed to the MAAC for 2008.

3. 8 from the PFL, plus 3 from the MAAC, plus Campbell, equal 12. Twelve may be the perfect set up for two divisions and a championship game. At least the Big 12 and SEC think so. xeyebrowx

T-Dog
June 15th, 2007, 01:54 AM
That really sucks. At least ETSU got to have a farewell year. Those kids don't even get that.

daywoo7
June 15th, 2007, 01:58 AM
The word around the MAAC is Marist going to the Patriot League an Iona and Lasalle joining the NEC. Possibly the NEC splitting in half, limited scholly & non-scholly

danefan
June 15th, 2007, 07:13 AM
The word around the MAAC is Marist going to the Patriot League an Iona and Lasalle joining the NEC. Possibly the NEC splitting in half, limited scholly & non-scholly

How could that league split in half and operate? That makes no sense whatsoever, unless the non-scholly portion wants no shot at the conference title?

Marist and the PL has been hotly discussed on here. I don't think its going to happen, but thats just my 2cents.

We have our Albany Football Alumni Golf Outing next month and I expect to hear some news about conference affiliation at that point. Last year at this event they proudly displayed a poster with "America East Football" on it and the corresponding teams. I'd love to hear what happened to that premonition. xrolleyesx

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 07:25 AM
anyone gonna notice them being gone?

Again your ignorance and thickness amazes me. Yes St. Pete's was terrible and so far from the top or even the mediocre programs in our division its not even funny. But its still a collegiant football program with kids getting a season snatched out from under them, and that is a sad thing no matter how terrible they were.

Seahawks Fan
June 15th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Oh man do I agree with that. But I doubt it will happen.

andy7171
June 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM
I hope the players can catch on somewhere else if they want to. Sucks that they couldn't come to this decision before. I feel horrible for those players who have been working hard and getting ready for the upcoming season.

Ken_Z
June 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Marist and the PL has been hotly discussed on here. I don't think its going to happen, but thats just my 2cents.

i believe it is reasonably likely to happen, but that's just my 2 cents.

it does seem this accelerates the time frame to make decisions for both current MAAC members and the PL. if the decision has not been made, the PL must determine its direction wrt scholarships. to invite Marist to jump for all sports without defining the level of football commitment required does not seem reasonable. on the other hand, if the PL were to go scholly, it might be tempting to detemine if better candidates emerge which would take time.

hopefully all sides are far along in their evaluations and decision making process or this could get messy.
- my guess, PL is not ready to go scholly, Marist is invited and accepts
- my preference, PL goes scholly, Marist goes NEC football with the opportunity to continue to demonstrate increased commitment to both football and improving their academic selectivity, PL expands with best available options 2 to 3 years down the road.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 08:52 AM
They're private schools who don't have the luxury of giving out $5,000 in-state tuition scholarships with. The cost of a full grant in aid at St. Peter's tuition is over $30,000 a year. How many scholarships could some of the I-AA/FCS schools on this board fund at $30K a pop? Obviously, some do, but a lot of schools can't.

Not interested in excuses.

You got 3 choices: 1) get competitive (Villanova can do it, weird)

2) drop your athletic department down to DIII with the rest of the non scholarship private schools (talking mostly to the Ivy League, you guys should be down with the University Athletic Association)

3) drop football

No more half assed football in FCS!!!!!

PeacockRaider
June 15th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Well I guess my time on the AGS board is short lived. Let me start of by saying I apologize on behalf of the chicken***** board members at the school who waited so long to cancel the season. The seniors have played their last games, the frosh got railroaded into coming there, and the schools on our schedule are left without games. That being said it truely is sad to see a football team drop. Coach Stern proved fb could be successfull, 2001 the team was 10-1 beating the likes of Florida Atlantic, Central Conn, and Marist. The school responded by getting rid of stern and making it even harder for the team to be successfull. To say it is impossible to be successfull there is a cop out by the higher ups. I wasn't the greatest player, but I played through major knee injuries and shoulder problems for the love of football and pride in our team. Recently I've watched my younger siblings have great careers at Colgate, and have adopted them as my school to watch. However, you only have one alma mater, and I'll never be able to watch them again, whatever level they were playing at. Good luck to all the schools that will actually be fielding teams this year. RIP Saint Peter' Football

DetroitFlyer
June 15th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I do not care what level of any sport you play, there will always be schools that can support a particular sport at a higher level than other schools. If they taught you any math at that there university you attended, you might just have heard of something called a "normal distribution". If you only took the basketweave version of math, google bell curve and do a little bit of research. There is a reason it is called a "normal distribution" because it is NORMAL. Are you following me here? So, take any sport, and measure it almost any way you care to.... There will be schools at the high end of the bell curve, schools at the low end of the bell curve, with most hovering around the middle. UNLESS, an outside force is injected into the process that skews the "normal curve". If the NCAA mandated that you had to spend $X number of dollars to participate in FCS, the curve would be truncated, but essentially still mostly normal. You just might have more schools clusted at the minimum number.

The whole point of FCS, and the reason it exists at all, is to contain costs! If not, every schools would be FBS! It is absolutely comical to hear folks complain about the "commitment" school A or B has for football, in a division where EVERY school is working to contain costs!

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I've been mulling this all night and into this morning, and I will be posting a blog posting on this today. But here's the thoughts I have at the moment:

1) St. Peter's did a really bad thing in pulling the plug not only on their football program and their kids, but to the MAAC conference itself. They've not only screwed over their kids and OOC opponents, but they've also screwed their own former leaguemates who now have to come to a quick decision on whether they will play as FCS independents for 2007, never mind 2008 and beyond.

When Siena discontinued, there were issues, but nothing that has thrust other schools out of a conference.

2) The MAAC has been quite content to let their whole league wither and die. The league office showed NO leadership on the matter of holding the league together and shrugged when schools dropped football. To me, it is symptomatic of the leadership of the conference in all sports as well - this once-vibrant league in men's basketball is also probably in free-fall as well. Hard to believe that at one time they had televised games on ESPN.

3) Could football be a driving force to get new all-sports members in the Patriot League instead of men's basketball? Should Marist and/or Iona be invited to go to the Patriot League in all sports, it would be a move to preserve their football programs, not having anything to do with men's basketball. That would be a first.

4) To me, it's pretty clear Marist is interested in the PL (in football, and probably other sports). But Iona's and LaSalle's next moves are far from clear. How committed are they to non-scholly ball? How committed is Iona to stay in the MAAC in all other sports - would they jump to the Patriot League or NEC? And what about affiliate LaSalle? Are they committed enough to football to add scholarships and go to the NEC if necessary?

5) The most interesting part of the press release was not really mentioned yet, but I'll mention it here:

Saint Peter’s has considered joining another league, but decided it was not feasible.

It's a small statement, but one filled with questions. What league is this? The PFL? The PL? The NEC? The Big South? A brand-new eastern non-scholly conference to be formalized in Chicago?

The answer of this question could shed important light into the types of decisions Marist, Iona, and LaSalle are facing.

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM

I'll restate the question--if costs increased 400-500% from what in-state tuition is today, how many I-AA/FCS schools would be giving 63 grants? Would your school?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Well I guess my time on the AGS board is short lived. Let me start of by saying I apologize on behalf of the chicken***** board members at the school who waited so long to cancel the season. The seniors have played their last games, the frosh got railroaded into coming there, and the schools on our schedule are left without games. That being said it truely is sad to see a football team drop. Coach Stern proved fb could be successfull, 2001 the team was 10-1 beating the likes of Florida Atlantic, Central Conn, and Marist. The school responded by getting rid of stern and making it even harder for the team to be successfull. To say it is impossible to be successfull there is a cop out by the higher ups. I wasn't the greatest player, but I played through major knee injuries and shoulder problems for the love of football and pride in our team. Recently I've watched my younger siblings have great careers at Colgate, and have adopted them as my school to watch. However, you only have one alma mater, and I'll never be able to watch them again, whatever level they were playing at. Good luck to all the schools that will actually be fielding teams this year. RIP Saint Peter' Football

We feel for you PR. It must be and extraordinarily sad say when you lose your program, and I think most people here understand your bitterness towards the higher-ups.

aceinthehole
June 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM

A great post! Real football fans here feel for all the players and coaches affected by this decision.

The Administartion did a poor job supporting the program and I hope current players are not discouraged and find a new program to transfer to.

Best of luck to you and all the Peacocks!

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM

2) drop your athletic department down to DIII with the rest of the non scholarship private schools (talking mostly to the Ivy League, you guys should be down with the University Athletic Association)

3) drop football

Ive tried to debate the merits of Ivy football with you in the past with no response. Why is it so hard for you to understand how very good the talent in the Ivy leage is...

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
If the NCAA mandated that you had to spend $X number of dollars to participate in FCS

They should!!

Go play your cost containment football in DII or DIII!

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM
if costs increased 400-500% from what in-state tuition is today, how many I-AA/FCS schools would be giving 63 grants?

Villanova can do it.

Either get competitive or get out.

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2007, 09:41 AM
The Administartion did a poor job supporting the program and I hope current players are not discouraged and find a new program to transfer to.

It's bad enough to cut a program in February, but mid-June? There's little or no opportunities for players to land at programs where scholarships and/or aid remain open, and for many schools, they can't even apply for admission.

And the MAAC's take on all of this? Nothing.

http://www.maacsports.com/

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Why is it so hard for you to understand how very good the talent in the Ivy leage is...

It's BS that they are allowed to stay in DI.

They're a DIII conference. They play by DIII rules.

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2007, 09:43 AM
They're a DIII conference. They play by DIII rules.

You need to check the entire D-III manual, not just the aid issue. The Ivy certainly does not run by D-III's rules.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2007, 09:45 AM
It's bad enough to cut a program in February, but mid-June? There's little or no opportunities for players to land at programs where scholarships and/or aid remain open, and for many schools, they can't even apply for admission.

And the MAAC's take on all of this? Nothing.

http://www.maacsports.com/

I agree DFW. And if I'm a member of this conference in other sports, I'd have to question the commitment of my commissioner to protect not only football, but other sports as well.

I'm not just talking about the schools that have/had football. I'm wondering what schools like Manhattan, Canisius, and others might think of this. Might they say another conference would do a better job protecting them?

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 09:45 AM
They don't give aid. That's DIII any way you slice it.

Anything else is pithy compared to that.

NFLCB2
June 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
My heart goes out to those players.. Its really gotta suck especially for the seniors i had a friend who was a senior he hurt his knee last year and was really looking forward to this season..

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
They don't give aid. That's DIII any way you slice it.

Anything else is pithy compared to that.

Haha! Have you see the amount of Ivy players in the NFL. They have former pro bowlers like Matt Birk and Marcelus Wiley. Guy like Jim Finn, Isiah Kasivinski, Jay Fiedler, Eric Johnson to name a few. Harvard probbaly has more guys in the NFL than Montana, what does that say about lack of talent

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Ok. lets look at the facts regarding the amount of players on NFL rosters from certain schools. According to espn at http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/college?letter=n

North Dakota Stae has excactly one player in the NFL

Rob Hunt Offensive Guard Denver Broncos

While lowly D-III Princeton has 4 xeyebrowx

Jon Dekker Tight End Pittsburgh Steelers
Zak Keasey Linebacker San Francisco 49ers
Dennis Norman Center Jacksonville Jaguars
Ross Tucker Offensive Guard Washington Redskins

And other Ivies --Brown has 3 players--- Penn, Harvard, Cornell have two players each. While Dartmouth has 1.

My meager math skills indicate that is 14 current Ivy guys in the NFL or almost two per team. That is an average of one more per team that NDSU's one. I think that is some pretty solid talent and certainly not D-III

henfan
June 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM
PeacockRaider, thanks for bringing it all home with your message.

I feel badly for the players, coaches and their families and St. Pete's loyal fans and alums. It's just not a good situation any time a D-I football program gets cut.

My condolensces.

Ken_Z
June 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
My heart goes out to those players..

my heart goes out to anyone within earshot of MplsBison. their heads have to hurt listening to him/her/it.

aceinthehole
June 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Here's some fallout from the St. Peter's decision:

Monmouth is looking for a game. The Hawks were scheduled to play Saint Peter's in Monmouth's home opener Sept. 15. ""We're looking for a game,'' said Monmouth coach Kevin Callahan late Thursday.

"It's a little distressing they waited until the last minute to let everyone know. There are a few scenarios we are looking into at this point. We would prefer to get a home game but I am confident we'll get a game somehow.''

And here is some speculation from Monmouth's beat writer:

With Duquesne joining the NEC in 2008..it leaves the MAAC with Iona, LaSalle, and Marist as its only football schools.

I am wondering if MU will have any interest in any Saint Peter's players or vice versa. When a program is dropped players do not have to sit out via the usual one-year transfer rule.

The NEC is supposedly eyeing Marist as a possible future member though..from what I hear...Marist has been ducking playing Monmouth for some time now....

http://grahamman.blogspot.com/
----

I've heard Albany fans post similar things, that Marist was "ducking" them too ... very interesting. At this point I can't see Marist in the NEC for 2008, they don't seem to want to affiliate with the NEC. IMO, Iona and LaSalle are more likely to join the NEC next year, if the Chicago summit doesn't producae a viable option. However, the NEC has no need or obligation to accept them.

I also doubt the PL moves quickly enough to add the Red Foxes for next year. As discussed here at length, Marist is a good candidate for PL football, but will the PL want/require an all-sports membership and is Marist willing to leave the MAAC in all sports? Can both parties come to agreement for the 2008-09 season? What does Marist do for 2008?

Polywog
June 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM
This situation is eerily familiar...it is the same way things went down when St Mary's (CA) dropped football a few years ago. They agreed to join the Great West Conference in its inaugural year, which would have put the conference at 7 teams (along with NDSU, SDSU, UCD, Cal Poly, N. Colorado and So. Utah). Before the first game was played, St Mary's bailed out. All of the conference teams had to scramble to fill their schedules, St Mary's players were screwed, and it left a bad taste in the mouths of the alumni.

Sucks for everyone involved.

RichH2
June 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
MplsBison

Being meanspirited ,as well as factually incorrect and uninformed , is not conducive to any one taking anything you say seriously. While I am not a big fan of the Elite Eight ,to denigrate their overall talent level in football is asinine. The top 2 and maybe 3 squads are certainly top 25 capable most years

colorless raider
June 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Always gad to have another Raider, even one with a Peacock!:)

Go...gate
June 15th, 2007, 12:16 PM
i believe it is reasonably likely to happen, but that's just my 2 cents.

it does seem this accelerates the time frame to make decisions for both current MAAC members and the PL. if the decision has not been made, the PL must determine its direction wrt scholarships. to invite Marist to jump for all sports without defining the level of football commitment required does not seem reasonable. on the other hand, if the PL were to go scholly, it might be tempting to detemine if better candidates emerge which would take time.

hopefully all sides are far along in their evaluations and decision making process or this could get messy.
- my guess, PL is not ready to go scholly, Marist is invited and accepts
- my preference, PL goes scholly, Marist goes NEC football with the opportunity to continue to demonstrate increased commitment to both football and improving their academic selectivity, PL expands with best available options 2 to 3 years down the road.

I think you hit it right here.

Go...gate
June 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Villanova can do it.

Either get competitive or get out.

I respectfully disagree, MplsBison. As I understand from a couple of friends that are Villanova alumni, their athletic programs are hemmoraging money and as I understand, cutting costs internally to keep football. That is the only reason the PL might be on their radar screen.

BearFan01
June 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I love the jerks on here..... when ANY football program folds, it is bad for ALL football teams.

As someone who saw that 10-1 team that St. Pete's fielded in 2001..... a lot of these big ego guys on this board should be happy they didn't play them. That 01 defense was disgusting good......disgusting. They went down to Florida Atlantic (now sun belt, full D-1A, former D-1AA playoff team) and physically beat them up and shut them out. If that St. Pete's team played a PL or Ivy team they would have made for a VERY VERY VERy tuff game.

While St Pete's was beating D1-AA schools in the dolphins stadium, no one was thinking about them dropping football. They were actually probably having one of the best moments of their lives. While everyone sits here on their high horse about their respected schools, do not doubt for a second there is a segement, no matter how small, at every school that would like to see Football go away. This is true everywhere. We all have at least one administrator in our schools that wants football gone for their own petty reasons. God help us all if these poeple came to power in our instutions. While we can all feel good about or programs or agrue who should be where, we should all be in agrement that we need to keep these anti-football people in check. Otherwise the name on the headline will our schools next.

For the jerks out there, try to think how you would feel if the helmet you wore in college was never to be seen again. My heart goes out to all the St. Pete's supporters and players who have done their best trying to keep the program going. May they all find someplace to play or coach and still hold onto a love of this great game.

Go...gate
June 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Please stick around! It is great to have you here. :)

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Harvard probbaly has more guys in the NFL than Montana

No wonder we never got anywhere in the past, your posts are non sequiturs.

Since when did NFL talent have anything to do with what division you play in?

Are you trying to say that being DIII automatically means you can't have any NFL talent?

Birk went to Harvard because of the education opportunity.

Players of his talent would have and would continue to choose Harvard and other Ivys simply because of academics, even if they were DIII.

Simply fact is that the Ivy model is identical to the DIII model. That's the division they belong in.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
The top 2 and maybe 3 squads are certainly top 25 capable most years

Ivys should not be allowed to be considered in the polls.

They refuse to participate in the playoffs. They don't deserve to be ranked.

Go...gate
June 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ok. lets look at the facts regarding the amount of players on NFL rosters from certain schools. According to espn at http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/college?letter=n

And other Ivies --Brown has 3 players--- Penn, Harvard, Cornell have two players each. While Dartmouth has 1.

My meager math skills indicate that is 14 current Ivy guys in the NFL or almost two per team. That is an average of one more per team that NDSU's one. I think that is some pretty solid talent and certainly not D-III

Princeton Tigers Keith Elias and Jason Garrett are also Ivy alums who saw a lot of recent time in the NFL.

Go...gate
June 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I love the jerks on here..... when ANY football program folds, it is bad for ALL football teams.

As someone who saw that 10-1 team that St. Pete's fielded in 2001..... a lot of these big ego guys on this board should be happy they didn't play them. That 01 defense was disgusting good......disgusting. They went down to Florida Atlantic (now sun belt, full D-1A, former D-1AA playoff team) and physically beat them up and shut them out. If that St. Pete's team played a PL or Ivy team they would have made for a VERY VERY VERy tuff game.
While St Pete's was beating D1-AA schools in the dolphins stadium, no one was thinking about them dropping football. They were actually probably having one of the best moments of their lives. While everyone sits here on their high horse about their respected schools, do not doubt for a second there is a segement, no matter how small, at every school that would like to see Football go away. This is true everywhere. We all have at least one administrator in our schools that wants football gone for their own petty reasons. God help us all if these poeple came to power in our instutions. While we can all feel good about or programs or agrue who should be where, we should all be in agrement that we need to keep these anti-football people in check. Otherwise the name on the headline will our schools next.

For the jerks out there, try to think how you would feel if the helmet you wore in college was never to be seen again. My heart goes out to all the St. Pete's supporters and players who have done their best trying to keep the program going. May they all find someplace to play or coach and still hold onto a love of this great game.

Well said!

AZGrizFan
June 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Ive tried to debate the merits of Ivy football with you in the past with no response. Why is it so hard for you to understand how very good the talent in the Ivy leage is...

You need to check the entire D-III manual, not just the aid issue. The Ivy certainly does not run by D-III's rules.

Haha! Have you see the amount of Ivy players in the NFL. They have former pro bowlers like Matt Birk and Marcelus Wiley. Guy like Jim Finn, Isiah Kasivinski, Jay Fiedler, Eric Johnson to name a few. Harvard probbaly has more guys in the NFL than Montana, what does that say about lack of talent

MplsBison

Being meanspirited ,as well as factually incorrect and uninformed , is not conducive to any one taking anything you say seriously. While I am not a big fan of the Elite Eight ,to denigrate their overall talent level in football is asinine. The top 2 and maybe 3 squads are certainly top 25 capable most years

Never argue with an idiot, gentlemen. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
June 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Ivys should not be allowed to be considered in the polls.

They refuse to participate in the playoffs. They don't deserve to be ranked.

Another brilliant statement. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Go...gate
June 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Are you trying to say that being DIII automatically means you can't have any NFL talent?

Players of his talent would have and would continue to choose Harvard and other Ivys simply because of academics, even if they were DIII.

Simply fact is that the Ivy model is identical to the DIII model. That's the division they belong in.

You sound like former Princeton President Bill Bowen. That was what is recent book was, indirectly, all about. Needless to say, his thesis is controversial and I certainly disagree with it. However, may I say that if you see enough Ivy games, you see enough talent and commitment, in players, facilities, coaching and fan support, to argue that they deserve Division I status much more than many of their peers.

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM

The amount of players who go on the the next level is indicitive of the overall amount of talent of the team. It doesmt matter what division you play in obviosuly, but if a D-II team is sending guys to the NFL you have to step back and say wow thay have some talent. Same with the Ivies, and they have jsut about nothing in commom with D-III football, when was the last time 45K showed up for for a D-III game. Also why does it matter why they went to school there, the fcat remains that they were great playesr and played in the IVy. That like saying that oh NDSU is only good cause thay have all those dumb kids who are playing by D-II rules and didnt qualify for D-I academically.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
This has nothing to do with talent!!!!!!!

Ivy League players are very talented, on and off the field.

I've never said anything to the contrary!

I'ts about institutional commitment to the sport.

The Ivy's have disowned the athletic department. I know their presidents would love to be like the UAA schools, but the alumni won't let them.

All I'm saying is that if your school wants to be a DI basketball school and still have a football team, then either commit the proper resources to it or get out of FCS, either by convincing the NCAA to make a new division for such teams or by dropping the sport.

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM

The Ivy's have disowned the athletic department. I know their presidents would love to be like the UAA schools, but the alumni won't let them.

All I'm saying is that if your school wants to be a DI basketball school and still have a football team, then either commit the proper resources to it or get out of FCS, either by convincing the NCAA to make a new division for such teams or by dropping the sport.

But if they are good enought to compete at the FCS level why should they have to leave? Why does it matter how they get the kids to come to the school. The divisions are essentially used to give an even playing filed based on talent, but typically the level of aid you provide dicatates the talent. The ivies are an anomoly they can attract FCS level talent in different ways than others can. Of cousre it bugs me too that they dont compeet in the playoffs, but they are absolutely competitive and have a right to remain in the FCS

AZGrizFan
June 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM

And then those teams that HAVE committed the proper resources to it, like Montana, Deleware, etc., and actually HAVE success should be booted up to FBS level, right? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Have you ever stopped and actually read some of the drivel you post? Or is it just stream of consciousness on your part? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xcoolx

youwouldno
June 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM
MplsBison is of course a complete jackass, but he has a semblance of a point insofar as the Ivies non-participation, along with the SWAC, is a direct challenge to the legitimacy of the FCS as a whole. All FBS teams have the same goal-- get into the best bowl they can (well aside from those that secretly don't want certain bowls that would be huge money losers). The FBS division is essentially uniform... same number of scholarships, same post-season system, etc.

The FCS is unquestionably harmed by the fact that 'FCS' does not mean the same thing to the various programs in the classification. No other division is scattered in such a way, not even D-III. FCS has programs ranging from those that could beat many FBS teams to those that regularly lose to sub D-I competition. I have to agree that such a state of affairs is undesirable.

I don't omit non-playoff participants from my poll, because I don't think it's logical to do so, but at the same time FCS fans should realize that non-participation hurts the whole subdivision, not just the non-participants.

DetroitFlyer
June 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
If the PFL would agree to participate in the FCS playoffs, the division would be a lot better as a whole!

GannonFan
June 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
If the PFL would agree to participate in the FCS playoffs, the division would be a lot better as a whole!

Absolutely - great idea!!!! Any idea on when they'll start scheduling appropriately so that they can be in the playoffs???? xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xnodx

AZGrizFan
June 15th, 2007, 03:01 PM
MplsBison is of course a complete jackass, but he has a semblance of a point insofar as the Ivies non-participation, along with the SWAC, is a direct challenge to the legitimacy of the FCS as a whole. All FBS teams have the same goal-- get into the best bowl they can (well aside from those that secretly don't want certain bowls that would be huge money losers). The FBS division is essentially uniform... same number of scholarships, same post-season system, etc.

The FCS is unquestionably harmed by the fact that 'FCS' does not mean the same thing to the various programs in the classification. No other division is scattered in such a way, not even D-III. FCS has programs ranging from those that could beat many FBS teams to those that regularly lose to sub D-I competition. I have to agree that such a state of affairs is undesirable.

I don't omit non-playoff participants from my poll, because I don't think it's logical to do so, but at the same time FCS fans should realize that non-participation hurts the whole subdivision, not just the non-participants.

Whether they participate in post-season activities (either by choice or default) and whether I consider them in my poll is two totally different issues. The poll is who I think would beat who on any given saturday. Not who I think will ultimately make the playoffs.

Green Cookie Monster
June 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
St. Who?

If a team can't sponsor 55 or more schollies, they should be D3.

Sorry to hear this as the players are the ones who will suffer, school washed their hands clean.

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM
St. Who?

If a team can't sponsor 55 or more schollies, they should be D3.

Sorry to hear this as the players are the ones who will suffer, school washed their hands clean.

Shouldnt they be D-II

PapaBear
June 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM

3) drop football

I gotta say, when you strip this issue bare, I completely agree with you, MnplsBison. I do feel horrible for the players. But this is how the market works.

Part of me wonders how serious ...

(OK, I can almost hear myself getting skewered for saying this, but here goes) ...

Part of me wonders how serious the players were about football, if they stayed here (or in the case of recruits, if they committed here), despite all the obvious signs that the program was on its last legs. I have to believe most of the players were in it for the fun but weren't going to lose any sleep if the program folded.

I'm re-reading that and it sounds a lot harsher than I wish it did. But I have a son playing FCS football, and I know I'd feel the same if he were at St Peters. I'd have told him long ago to transfer, and if he declined, it would send me a message that he liked the school just fine, with or without football.

Ruler 79
June 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM
What are the chances all the remaining MAAC teams fold? Marist, LaSalle, and Iona. I klnow Marist just did some renovations to their stadium, but is it possible? They have no ointrest in the NEC and the PL probably will not take them. Indy at this level is brutal....see Savannah state. Savannah State North anyone?

Go...gate
June 15th, 2007, 04:41 PM
What are the chances all the remaining MAAC teams fold? Marist, LaSalle, and Iona. I klnow Marist just did some renovations to their stadium, but is it possible? They have no ointrest in the NEC and the PL probably will not take them. Indy at this level is brutal....see Savannah state. Savannah State North anyone?

Marist and Iona have made improvements to their stadium and weight/locker-room facility, respectively. LaSalle has shown no signs of giving up the sport.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 04:43 PM
But if they are good enought to compete at the FCS level why should they have to leave? Why does it matter how they get the kids to come to the school. The divisions are essentially used to give an even playing filed based on talent, but typically the level of aid you provide dicatates the talent. The ivies are an anomoly they can attract FCS level talent in different ways than others can. Of cousre it bugs me too that they dont compeet in the playoffs, but they are absolutely competitive and have a right to remain in the FCS

They wouldn't compete day in and day out without scholarships.

Look what San Diego did to Yale last season.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2007, 04:46 PM
It's not just scholarships either.

It's a general lack of money being spent on football.

Sure the Ivy's can claim they don't participate in the playoffs because of acedemic reasons, but of course there's also the monetary reason of saving money on travel.

Go...gate
June 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Sure the Ivy's can claim they don't participate in the playoffs because of acedemic reasons, but of course there's also the monetary reason of saving money on travel.

Every school in Division I is trying to do that. Talk to any AD. Travel is more expensive with each day due to fuel prices, which makes everything more expensive.

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM

You think the Ivies dont have the money, may are without a doubt the richest schools in the country. Princeton's endowment is something like 11 billion, yes billion. Just the interest on that is probably more more than the operating budget of the state of North Dakota. Anyway I though in the previous post we werent commenting on the talent level, i though that has been established. Of course they wont be national titles contendors every year, but they have solid teams. Again it not that they dont have a commitment to football. They have huge stadiums, tons of money, just a pholosiphical notion that athletic scholarships arent what their about. You can put them down for that if you want, but they made the desicion not to compete for national titles on what is now the highest level about 50 years ago, as if they wanted they could easily be competitive in the FBS not just the FCS. The fact is it doesnt matter how they attract players to the school, they are viable members of FCS any field solid teams with very good players.

bison137
June 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM

The Ivy's have a collective endowment of about $85 BILLION - far more than the endowments of all other FCS schools combined. The expense to send a team to the playoffs would be lost in the rounding when any of the eight do their accounting.

PantherRob82
June 15th, 2007, 05:50 PM
maybe we can do away with non-scholarship. ;)

dgreco
June 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
So the summit could bring the end to non-schollie with this fold and really leaving a more teams without a place to play because of it.

NoCoDanny
June 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I do not care what level of any sport you play, there will always be schools that can support a particular sport at a higher level than other schools. If they taught you any math at that there university you attended, you might just have heard of something called a "normal distribution". If you only took the basketweave version of math, google bell curve and do a little bit of research. There is a reason it is called a "normal distribution" because it is NORMAL. Are you following me here? So, take any sport, and measure it almost any way you care to.... There will be schools at the high end of the bell curve, schools at the low end of the bell curve, with most hovering around the middle. UNLESS, an outside force is injected into the process that skews the "normal curve". If the NCAA mandated that you had to spend $X number of dollars to participate in FCS, the curve would be truncated, but essentially still mostly normal. You just might have more schools clusted at the minimum number.

The whole point of FCS, and the reason it exists at all, is to contain costs! If not, every schools would be FBS! It is absolutely comical to hear folks complain about the "commitment" school A or B has for football, in a division where EVERY school is working to contain costs!

Way too logical and sensible for this audience. xthumbsupx The idea here is to augment your penis size with your school's won/loss record every year. xwhistlex

danefan
June 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM
"Ivy League" and "cost reduction" don't fit in the same sentence together.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 15th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Let me end this debate about the Ivy once and for all.

If you can get into Harvard/Yale/Princeton and make less than $65K, you can get into these schools for FREE.

How that is essentially different than an athletic scholarship? It's not. If you can get in, you'll get the aid.

Furthermore, the Academic Index allows the Ivies to recruit players whose academic profile is lower than many Patriot League schools can admit.

Let's say 50% of the football players are like this (it's probably more). Let's even say 80% are getting some aid. How's that different from 50-60 scholarships?

True non-schollies are not like this, although Davisdon is going this route. But Ivy aid policies are extraordinary.

Pard4Life
June 15th, 2007, 09:33 PM
"Saint Peter's College dropped its non-scholarship Division I-AA football program Thursday, citing concern for its athletes and difficulty remaining competitive."

More like... we don't want to pay for it..

Model Citizen
June 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Let me end this debate about the Ivy once and for all.

If you can get into Harvard/Yale/Princeton and make less than $65K, you can get into these schools for FREE.

How that is essentially different than an athletic scholarship?

Because it's available to non-athletes.

Lehigh can't say the same.

GaelsFootball
June 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I gotta say, when you strip this issue bare, I completely agree with you, MnplsBison. I do feel horrible for the players. But this is how the market works.

Part of me wonders how serious ...

(OK, I can almost hear myself getting skewered for saying this, but here goes) ...

Part of me wonders how serious the players were about football, if they stayed here (or in the case of recruits, if they committed here), despite all the obvious signs that the program was on its last legs. I have to believe most of the players were in it for the fun but weren't going to lose any sleep if the program folded.

I'm re-reading that and it sounds a lot harsher than I wish it did. But I have a son playing FCS football, and I know I'd feel the same if he were at St Peters. I'd have told him long ago to transfer, and if he declined, it would send me a message that he liked the school just fine, with or without football.

This is one of the craziest things I've ever heard. Just b/c St. Peter's hasn't been fielding good teams in the past five years the kids don't care if they win or lose?!!!!I will guarentee you that every single one of those kids don't know where they are going to be next year without football. To say they won't even lose sleep over never getting a chance to finish out your collegiate career is unbelievable.
Just b/c MAAC players don't get schollys and don't get recognized as much as the top schools don't mean we don't put as much hours into our work (both coaches and players), and certainly don't care as much as players from other progams. If anything we love and care more about football b/c we could stop playing and we would still have to pay the same amount for school and go out and party all night. Instead we dedicate ourselves to this sport with NOT A SINGLE PENNY going towards our education from football.

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM
This is one of the craziest things I've ever heard. Just b/c St. Peter's hasn't been fielding good teams in the past five years the kids don't care if they win or lose?!!!!I will guarentee you that every single one of those kids don't know where they are going to be next year without football. To say they won't even lose sleep over never getting a chance to finish out your collegiate career is unbelievable.
Just b/c MAAC players don't get schollys and don't get recognized as much as the top schools don't mean we don't put as much hours into our work (both coaches and players), and certainly don't care as much as players from other progams. If anything we love and care more about football b/c we could stop playing and we would still have to pay the same amount for school and go out and party all night. Instead we dedicate ourselves to this sport with NOT A SINGLE PENNY going towards our education from football.

Thanks, well said agree 100%. The kids at St. Peters might not have been as talented but were every bit committed and loved the game. Maine guy your son may play the game but it doesnt sound like you did, or else you would realize anyone who loves and played the game would strap it up amywhere anytime just to get on the filed. Im to old now and broken down, but what I wouldnt give to get after it one more time

PapaBear
June 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks, well said agree 100%. The kids at St. Peters might not have been as talented but were every bit committed and loved the game. Maine guy your son may play the game but it doesnt sound like you did, or else you would realize anyone who loves and played the game would strap it up amywhere anytime just to get on the filed. Im to old now and broken down, but what I wouldnt give to get after it one more time

Actually, I did play. At a DII, for no money. So I understand completely what it's like to play for love of game and nothing else.

I can tell you, if my school had been sending signals that it was going to abandon football, I would have transferred.

That's how much I loved the game.

Still do.

Got it?

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Actually, I did play. At a DII, for no money. So I understand completely what it's like to play for love of game and nothing else.

I can tell you, if my school had been sending signals that it was going to abandon football, I would have transferred.

That's how much I loved the game.

Still do.

Got it?

I understand somewhat, but I dont think these kids knew for sure this was coming. They remained loyal to their school and teamates and that of course is very respectable. Papa Bear I dont want to stir up an arguement, but the kids are the victims here, and their only sin is blind loyalty.

GaelsFootball
June 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM
So you would leave all of your teammates who have become family over the years over speculation that the program would drop instead of sticking it out and at least trying to turn things around and turn some heads.
And even if those players did think it was going to drop (which most of them probly had no idea b/c they don't follow/understand the complicated system that's in place and how everything is all about the green), none of them thought it would be weeks before camp starts giving them absolutley zero chance to transfer. The last MAAC team to fold was Siena and they were given most of the offseason to go look for places to transfer with the help of their former coaches.

GaelsFootball
June 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Me personally I would have remained loyal to my school and my teammates like Franks Tanks suggested

dbackjon
June 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM
This sucks for St. Peter's players, and the teams on the schedule

dbackjon
June 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Oh - and please stop quoting MplsBison. I have him on ignore for a reason, and really do better without reading any of his posts.

UNHWildCats
June 15th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Dont throw anything to heavy at me Jon :p

dbackjon
June 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Got to spread some rep around so I can give Travis a red box...

UNHWildCats
June 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

UNHWildCats
see all better :p

dbackjon
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

yup.

Seawolf97
June 16th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Just speculation -but any chance the NCAA would allow teams who have open dates (Bye weeks) to a go to 12th game this season only -to fill the schedules of teams who are now at 9 or 10 games? Dont know if can be done . Just a thought.

DFW HOYA
June 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Just speculation -but any chance the NCAA would allow teams who have open dates (Bye weeks) to a go to 12th game this season only -to fill the schedules of teams who are now at 9 or 10 games? Dont know if can be done . Just a thought.

No chance. It's up to the schools themselves.

dgreco
June 16th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Got to spread some rep around so I can give Travis a red box...

how do you give out rep points?

dbackjon
June 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
how do you give out rep points?

Click on the blue box in the upper right hand corner of the post. It will then ask you if you want to give positive or negative points, and has a place for a comment.

youwouldno
June 16th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Whether they participate in post-season activities (either by choice or default) and whether I consider them in my poll is two totally different issues. The poll is who I think would beat who on any given saturday. Not who I think will ultimately make the playoffs.

Right, that's how I vote too. But it still means the Ivies are basically ranked because of a technicality-- they are called 'FCS.' But FCS is championship football and they don't attempt to win championships so they are not true members of the subdivision.

Seawolf97
June 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
But they can influence the standings on any given Saturday. Suppose a Brown knocks off a New Hampshire in an upset or Delaware falls to a Penn or Princeton. The Ivy stock goes up and two powerhouses have a loss they may not have expected. Thats why they should stay in the polls.

hebmskebm
June 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
that was quick, two of st. peters d3 opponents (geneva and salisbury) have already schedueled replacement games--each other. i hope the fcs teams are able to reschedule quickly.

Seawolf97
June 16th, 2007, 07:48 PM
So do I.

JMG1MON
June 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Well this just sucks all around!! Besides the fact that my school is now in a bind for an 11th game (im sure they will find a replacement and it may be LaSalle), to lose an entire team is not good for FCS. Best of luck to the coaches and players. To all the fans of the school, all I can say is I am sorry that you will never be able to watch SPC play another down of football.

Seawolf97
June 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I saw your modified schedule and hopefully you can find an FCS team to play. It really messed things up at this time of the year.