PDA

View Full Version : Trey Lance hype train already rolling

Schism55
May 5th, 2020, 11:27 AM
https://twitter.com/HEROSportsFCS/status/1257701367193448448

Just forget about him for 2 years NFL, ok? xdrunkyx

Professor Chaos
May 5th, 2020, 11:45 AM
It would be crummy if this season is cancelled and he leaves for the draft only playing one season at NDSU.

I know FCS fans everywhere would feel bad for us Bison fans....

caribbeanhen
May 5th, 2020, 11:48 AM
It would be crummy if this season is cancelled and he leaves for the draft only playing one season at NDSU.

Yes, times have been really tough up in Fargo

PaladinFan
May 5th, 2020, 11:56 AM

Or worse, goes and plays for a P5 school.

uni88
May 5th, 2020, 12:39 PM
Or worse, goes and plays for a Kansas State.

FYP

Daytripper
May 5th, 2020, 02:06 PM

I will cry tears of joy.

JacksFan40
May 5th, 2020, 02:42 PM

Yeah, he’s the only good QB the Bison have had in the last 10 years. Whatever will you do at QB?

Chalupa Batman
May 5th, 2020, 06:07 PM

I really don’t see him leaving for the NFL having only played one season in college. I’m not sure the NFL considers him a finished product quite yet, but part of the hype is the presumed progression in his development.

If the season is cancelled I could however see him transferring to a P5 school for that one more season of development in 2021. I don’t expect he’d do that, but wouldn’t be surprised by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonTru
May 5th, 2020, 06:45 PM
To temper things a bit the hype kid in Wentz’s draft class at this point in the process was Christian Hackenberg.

Professor Chaos
May 5th, 2020, 06:55 PM
I really don’t see him leaving for the NFL having only played one season in college. I’m not sure the NFL considers him a finished product quite yet, but part of the hype is the presumed progression in his development.

If the season is cancelled I could however see him transferring to a P5 school for that one more season of development in 2021. I don’t expect he’d do that, but wouldn’t be surprised by it.

In order to transfer to a P5 after this year without having to sit a year he'd have to graduate in 3 years. It's doable but you've got to commit to it from fall semester of your freshman year on and bust your ass in the classroom for 3 years. Maybe he's done that but I think it's unlikely. If a P5 transfer happens for him it probably wouldn't be until the 2022 season and by that time I'd guess he'd be a bona fide first rounder if he continues this trajectory.

TheKingpin28
May 5th, 2020, 07:12 PM
Yeah, he’s the only good QB the Bison have had in the last 10 years. Whatever will you do at QB?Play Zeb Noland and watch him smack the bunnies around?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Chalupa Batman
May 5th, 2020, 07:20 PM
In order to transfer to a P5 after this year without having to sit a year he'd have to graduate in 3 years. It's doable but you've got to commit to it from fall semester of your freshman year on and bust your ass in the classroom for 3 years. Maybe he's done that but I think it's unlikely. If a P5 transfer happens for him it probably wouldn't be until the 2022 season and by that time I'd guess he'd be a bona fide first rounder if he continues this trajectory.

If they cancelled this season and he decided to transfer, would the 2020-2021 school year count as his sit-out year and he could play in 2021? That’s what I was thinking.

Professor Chaos
May 5th, 2020, 09:06 PM
If they cancelled this season and he decided to transfer, would the 2020-2021 school year count as his sit-out year and he could play in 2021? That’s what I was thinking.

That's an interesting scenario with a lot of hypotheticals. If he'd enter the transfer portal and enroll at a new school before the decision to cancel the season was made I could see him getting that year to count. If he decides he wants to transfer after the decision has been made to cancel the season I'd guess the NCAA would have to sign off on allowing that as a transfer's "sit out year" and I'd also guess they'd get heavy resistance amongst their member schools to do that considering how much opposition there seems to be for the one-time transfer waiver that was recently given a thumbs down by the board of directors (NCAA membership votes on it later this month). IOW it could open up a lot of transfer action since players would essentially get a free year to make that move and that seems to be a no-no in the NCAA world of transfers for the money sports.

Anthony215
May 6th, 2020, 10:44 AM
To temper things a bit the hype kid in Wentz’s draft class at this point in the process was Christian Hackenberg.

Even PSU followers knew Hackenberg wasn't the real deal after his sophomore year. The Jets were QB desperate and reached grabbing him in the 2nd round when he at best was a Day 3 pick or possibly an UDFA type talent. Jets picking him at that spot is more puzzling than the Eagles taking Hurts in the 2nd round lol

Mocs123
May 6th, 2020, 11:39 AM
I saw a Mock draft where Trey was listed as the #4 pick in next years draft. Now obviously this was just one mock draft and it's way too early, but just the fact that a nationally publicized mock draft had him at #4 is impressive. I got to thinking, if that were to really happen, NDSU would have two top 5 pick QB's in the past five years. How insane is that for an FCS school? You would think an FCS school having a 1st round selection would be a generational thing, much less have TWO QB's in the TOP FIVE! Other than Oklahoma, is there even another P5 school that has had two QB's picked in the top 5 during the past five years?

And I'm not a NDSU fan, and I don't want to make their fans big heads get any bigger, but you have to really respect they way NDSU has recruited. To get two first round QB talents had to take some real digging (and probably a little luck) as I'm sure these guys weren't turning down offers from Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson to come play for the Bison, NDSU had to go find these diamonds in the rough and develop them.

Bisonator
May 6th, 2020, 11:43 AM
Why would he transfer to a P5 when he can be drafted in the first round right out of NDSU? Zero chance he transfers, this isn't the same situation as Jabril Cox. He's playing QB in a pro-style offense under a great college QB coach. There's no reason to transfer.

Mocs123
May 6th, 2020, 12:15 PM
I'm not saying he should transfer, or that it would even be beneficial to him, but coming from FCS there will be "Quality of Competition" concerns entering the draft.

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2020, 12:16 PM
Why would he transfer to a P5 when he can be drafted in the first round right out of NDSU? Zero chance he transfers, this isn't the same situation as Jabril Cox. He's playing QB in a pro-style offense under a great college QB coach. There's no reason to transfer.

I wouldn't say zero chance.

If a player wants the NFL and thinks his draft stock improves or other opportunities would be available, then it is always a possibility.

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2020, 12:24 PM
I'm not saying he should transfer, or that it would even be beneficial to him, but coming from FCS there will be "Quality of Competition" concerns entering the draft.

I love the FCS, but the gap in competition from what you see at this level and what you would see in, say, the SEC, is massive.

Chalupa Batman
May 6th, 2020, 12:48 PM

I don’t think he will transfer either. My thought was in the scenario where this season is cancelled, it was more likely he transfers than leave for the NFL in 2021 with only 1 college season under his belt. That’s also under the assumption that he would be allowed to transfer and play in 2021 which might not even be the case.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 9th, 2020, 10:13 AM
I dont think he will ever transfer from NDSU. NDSU's offense is similar to the pro game and Wentz going #2 doesn't hurt NDSU's reputation for QB development. I'd say the chances he leaves early for the NFL are greater.

smallcollegefbfan
May 10th, 2020, 01:31 PM
FYP

I can tell you from talking to NFL people that the hype is not the same in league circles. He was good but NFL teams did not do full reports on him since he was not draft eligible. I have had scouts tell me they have seen a guy who was good as a freshman but by their junior year they were not anymore. Look at most first round busts and they were underclassmen.

If NDSU plays Oregon and Lance has cleaned things up, such as hitch in his throw, improve the arm a little, and protect himself when he runs and not take hits, then he could seriously come out and at least be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Lance is a really good player but I think media hype on a freshman from FCS is too much this early. Need to make sure he is able to follow up that year with another big year and not have a sophomore slump.

The best advice for Lance is to ignore the hype, have a big year, and then go to the NFL advisory board for a grade after the season. He should also make it public what they give him to show if the media saw this early and was right or they are just falsely hyping his stock. If he gets a 1st or 2nd round grade then he should go pro. He does not need to transfer to be a first round pick, as seen before, and thus he should either stay at NDSU or go early.

smallcollegefbfan
May 10th, 2020, 01:37 PM
I dont think he will ever transfer from NDSU. NDSU's offense is similar to the pro game and Wentz going #2 doesn't hurt NDSU's reputation for QB development. I'd say the chances he leaves early for the NFL are greater.

Good to hear. I think he should stay for sure and just declare if he has another big year. Great player who needs to show he can repeat what he did and continue to improve. Just hope he has that chip on his shoulder and keeps it so he does not let the attention get to him. I have seen a lot of FCS players become full of themselves and not get drafted where they thought or at all because they bought in to early hype. Lance is fun to watch for sure.

clenz
May 11th, 2020, 09:15 AM
He won't transfer or leave early.

No one leaves NDSU for any reason

Bison for lyfe gang

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2020, 11:41 AM
I love the FCS, but the gap in competition from what you see at this level and what you would see in, say, the SEC, is massive.

Huge gap. There are probably 20 FBS teams who should drop down to FCS but they are all G5 programs now. I bet there are 50-55 FCS teams who should be much better off in D2 and they are scattered over all conferences of FCS. To me the Pioneer League, Big South, NEC, and Patriot League are the only leagues where majority should drop down but there are a hand full of schools everywhere else who really should drop down to D2.

Say the FCS set a minimum of 6,000 average attendance the following schools would all have to drop down. Albany, Bryant, Bucknell, Butler, CCSU, Charleston Southern, Colgate, Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Davidson, Dayton, Delaware St, Drake, Duquesne, Eastern Illinois, Fordham, Furman, Gardner-Webb, Georgetown, Houston Baptist, Howard, Indiana St, Jacksonville, Kennesaw St, Lafayette, LIU, Marist, MVSU, Monmouth, Morehead St, Morgan St, Northern Colorado, Portland St, Presbyterian, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, Saint Francis, Sam Houston St, Samford, San Diego, South Dakota, SEMO, Southern Utah, Stetson, Incarnate Word, UT Martin, Valparaiso, VMI, Wagner, Western Illinois, and Wofford.

There are D2 schools who average 7-10k and FCS schools who average less than 3k.

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2020, 11:48 AM
He won't transfer or leave early.

No one leaves NDSU for any reason

Bison for lyfe gang

I'm not big on players leaving early unless they have a 1st or 2nd round grade. I feel like if you don't get that you should stay. If he gets a 1st or 2nd round grade, he like any SEC player, should declare. The risk of injury is too great. Imagine if he comes back in 2021 and gets hurt to never play again. If he is ready in the eyes of the NFL he should cash in. If he is told to stay in school he should stay, no matter what media says.

PaladinFan
May 11th, 2020, 01:07 PM
Huge gap. There are probably 20 FBS teams who should drop down to FCS but they are all G5 programs now. I bet there are 50-55 FCS teams who should be much better off in D2 and they are scattered over all conferences of FCS. To me the Pioneer League, Big South, NEC, and Patriot League are the only leagues where majority should drop down but there are a hand full of schools everywhere else who really should drop down to D2.

Say the FCS set a minimum of 6,000 average attendance the following schools would all have to drop down. Albany, Bryant, Bucknell, Butler, CCSU, Charleston Southern, Colgate, Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Davidson, Dayton, Delaware St, Drake, Duquesne, Eastern Illinois, Fordham, Furman, Gardner-Webb, Georgetown, Houston Baptist, Howard, Indiana St, Jacksonville, Kennesaw St, Lafayette, LIU, Marist, MVSU, Monmouth, Morehead St, Morgan St, Northern Colorado, Portland St, Presbyterian, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, Saint Francis, Sam Houston St, Samford, San Diego, South Dakota, SEMO, Southern Utah, Stetson, Incarnate Word, UT Martin, Valparaiso, VMI, Wagner, Western Illinois, and Wofford.

There are D2 schools who average 7-10k and FCS schools who average less than 3k.

I don't disagree that most a large portion of the FBS would need to drop down. I think attendance figures are sort of arbitrary, though.

First, this isn't a question of D1 v D2 football. Many of those schools have been D1 in athletics for a long period of time. Some of them have nationally relevant D1 programs in sports other than football (see e.g. Butler). So, in no way are you going to force schools to drop to D2 based on football attendance.

Second, those attendance figures appear to be routinely ignored. The FBS has a stated requirement of a 15,000 attendance rolling average over a 2 year period. The MAC conference averages right at about that number. No one appears to be kicking them out.

Third, the attendance figures can be manipulated.

uni88
May 11th, 2020, 01:25 PM
I don't disagree that most a large portion of the FBS would need to drop down. I think attendance figures are sort of arbitrary, though.

First, this isn't a question of D1 v D2 football. Many of those schools have been D1 in athletics for a long period of time. Some of them have nationally relevant D1 programs in sports other than football (see e.g. Butler). So, in no way are you going to force schools to drop to D2 based on football attendance.

Second, those attendance figures appear to be routinely ignored. The FBS has a stated requirement of a 15,000 attendance rolling average over a 2 year period. The MAC conference averages right at about that number. No one appears to be kicking them out.

xthumbsupx Most of those schools would drop football before dropping down.

citdog
May 11th, 2020, 02:54 PM

Translation from the original verminite "the furples would be screwed because they don't draw 6k if you add up the attendance from two games."

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2020, 04:55 PM

I'm big on paid attendance of the butts in the seats. I also think they probably should set a fundraising minimum, enrollment, etc and make sure schools abide by them all. As you said, a big issue is that the NCAA is not enforcing the rules they already have. Half of the MAC should drop down, a couple in the SBC, MWC, and even CUSA should probably drop down to FCS.

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2020, 04:58 PM
xthumbsupx Most of those schools would drop football before dropping down.

I think that would help college football if some of these schools did drop football. It is so watered down now. I would say about 1/4 of FCS players currently should have been D2 players. I see players signing with G5 schools that you feel like would have been I-AA back in the late 90s or early 2000s.

PaladinFan
May 12th, 2020, 09:37 AM
I think that would help college football if some of these schools did drop football. It is so watered down now. I would say about 1/4 of FCS players currently should have been D2 players. I see players signing with G5 schools that you feel like would have been I-AA back in the late 90s or early 2000s.

Yeah, but football isn't played to meet our expectations about what is and what isn't watered down.

I'd like to see a lot of the G5 back in the FCS. I think it would make for fun football. Most of those G5 teams are far closer to the FCS than they are to the P5 anyway.

I recall App posters on here a few years back noting that they understood a move to the SunBelt was not a move to "big time" football. They just saw that while football used to have two divisions, the move was now essentially to three divisions - P5, G5, and FCS. They wanted App to stay in the second division.

smallcollegefbfan
May 18th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Yeah, but football isn't played to meet our expectations about what is and what isn't watered down.

I'd like to see a lot of the G5 back in the FCS. I think it would make for fun football. Most of those G5 teams are far closer to the FCS than they are to the P5 anyway.

I recall App posters on here a few years back noting that they understood a move to the SunBelt was not a move to "big time" football. They just saw that while football used to have two divisions, the move was now essentially to three divisions - P5, G5, and FCS. They wanted App to stay in the second division.

It is all about the money but I think many G5s truly need to drop down. SBC, just like it would be for JMU or Liberty if either goes, is a stepping stone to get into the AAC in the eyes of those who have moved up recently. They all can't get there but you never get there if you don't try. Can always move back down if you don't succeed.

The reason some of their fans did not want to move up was fear they would not succeed and fear that they could not financially support 85 scholarships. I am also sure some felt the more spread out conference makes less games to attend. I don't know about you but I don't blame GSU and App. I don't think you would find of any of their fans upset they moved up. They are beating P5s, ranked in the top 25, and feel like they can compete with Boise, UCF, and Memphis now.

With that said, there are a lot of G5 programs who should move down. I scoured attendance, overall success, etc and here are the schools I came up with who truly need to drop down to FCS.

Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Connecticut, Kent State, UL Monroe, Mass, MTSU, New Mexico, Northern Illinois, San Jose State, and Western Kentucky as far as attendance. Most of those plus ODU, UTEP, UTSA, New Mexico St, South Alabama, and Texas State based on performance.

If that happened you could have MAC, CUSA, and SBC combine to form a much stronger G5 league. A couple of the current AAC teams would go to Big 12 and then AAC would pull from top SBC and CUSA. Then have the CUSA, SBC, and MAC combine into one much stronger conference. FCS would get a lot better at the top and G5 would not be so watered down at the bottom.

citdog
May 18th, 2020, 08:43 PM
It is all about the money but I think many G5s truly need to drop down. SBC, just like it would be for JMU or Liberty if either goes, is a stepping stone to get into the AAC in the eyes of those who have moved up recently. They all can't get there but you never get there if you don't try. Can always move back down if you don't succeed.

The reason some of their fans did not want to move up was fear they would not succeed and fear that they could not financially support 85 scholarships. I am also sure some felt the more spread out conference makes less games to attend. I don't know about you but I don't blame GSU and App. I don't think you would find of any of their fans upset they moved up. They are beating P5s, ranked in the top 25, and feel like they can compete with Boise, UCF, and Memphis now.

With that said, there are a lot of G5 programs who should move down. I scoured attendance, overall success, etc and here are the schools I came up with who truly need to drop down to FCS.

Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Connecticut, Kent State, UL Monroe, Mass, MTSU, New Mexico, Northern Illinois, San Jose State, and Western Kentucky as far as attendance. Most of those plus ODU, UTEP, UTSA, New Mexico St, South Alabama, and Texas State based on performance.

If that happened you could have MAC, CUSA, and SBC combine to form a much stronger G5 league. A couple of the current AAC teams would go to Big 12 and then AAC would pull from top SBC and CUSA. Then have the CUSA, SBC, and MAC combine into one much stronger conference. FCS would get a lot better at the top and G5 would not be so watered down at the bottom.

App and GaSo, GSU is in Atlanta, are completely irrelevant in the FBS and always will be. Hey Josh what happened the last two times App played The Citadel? TOUCHDOWN! THE CITADEL!

nodak651
May 19th, 2020, 03:22 PM
There are a lot of FCS teams that should move down as well.

citdog
May 19th, 2020, 03:46 PM
Ivy, pioneer (except San Diego who whips big fluffy sky teams in the playoffs).

cx500d
May 19th, 2020, 03:59 PM
Duquesne who whips colonial teams in the playoffs

caribbeanhen
May 19th, 2020, 11:29 PM

Yankee Princeton would flog The Citadel

citdog
May 19th, 2020, 11:53 PM

What happened the last time the blue hens ventured down to the cradle of secession?

cx500d
May 20th, 2020, 06:40 AM

The Furman women's overhand bowling team could whip the citadel.

IBleedYellow
May 20th, 2020, 02:10 PM

Starting with the University of North Dakota.

What a joke of a program they call their football program.

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2020, 06:04 PM
App and GaSo, GSU is in Atlanta, are completely irrelevant in the FBS and always will be. Hey what happened the last two times App played The Citadel? TOUCHDOWN! THE CITADEL!

Georgia State beat Tennessee and went to a bowl game. They have had some moments. I thought they should have stayed FCS but they could pan out. They are in a very good market.

Because of the history at Georgia Southern, unless they can't financially make it work I think they stay. Their attendance did not boost with the move up but have gone to bowls regularly and are better than at least 25-30 or so G5 programs out there right now.

As for App and Citadel, do you really want to smack talk a team who owned Citadel? App won that series 19-7 with just a 3-point loss in last game, so it was not some big blowout. App was in transition and most of the team did not care. If you are bragging about one game in a series where App owned Citadel and was 7 years ago then call Charter or get help somewhere lol.

In 2019, App was a top 20 ranked program (https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings), beat 2 P5 teams, and became the 1st and only former FCS team to win a bowl game every season after completing a move to FBS. They are 5-0 and have pretty much owned CUSA and MAC in bowl games. App is not a P5 caliber team by any means but I think you can safely say Boise State, UCF, and App are the top teams who moved up from I-AA/FCS. They are one of the top 3 G5 programs in the country right now. I don't remember seeing Citadel ranked in the FBS polls like App, NDSU, JMU, etc have pulled off receiving votes in them while in FCS. I believe App was the team that forced the change to that rule to even allow it. In fact, where was Citadel ranked in the STATS or Coaches Poll this year? I can't find them?

You guys had a down year after being ranked in the top 10 every year...oh wait I believe that was Furman and Wofford who have run the SoCon about every year? LOL.

Outside of the FCS, the sad part is that NDSU is the only team that is considered relevant right now. Nobody at FS1, ESPN, etc. really pays attention to the FCS and I wish they would because there is still some good football, especially at the top of the CAA, Big Sky, and MVFC.

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2020, 06:07 PM

I really think the NCAA needs to set a scholarship and attendance minimum for both FBS and FCS and then enforce it. I have no clue on UND but there are a lot of FCS programs who truly do need to be in D2. I don't say it as smack talk but just stating where many programs would be most competitive.

citdog
May 20th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Georgia State beat Tennessee and went to a bowl game. They have had some moments. I thought they should have stayed FCS but they could pan out. They are in a very good market.

Because of the history at Georgia Southern, unless they can't financially make it work I think they stay. Their attendance did not boost with the move up but have gone to bowls regularly and are better than at least 25-30 or so G5 programs out there right now.

As for App and Citadel, do you really want to smack talk a team who owned Citadel? App won that series 19-7 with just a 3-point loss in last game, so it was not some big blowout. App was in transition and most of the team did not care. If you are bragging about one game in a series where App owned Citadel and was 7 years ago then call Charter or get help somewhere lol.

In 2019, App was a top 20 ranked program (https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings), beat 2 P5 teams, and became the 1st and only former FCS team to win a bowl game every season after completing a move to FBS. They are 5-0 and have pretty much owned CUSA and MAC in bowl games. App is not a P5 caliber team by any means but I think you can safely say Boise State, UCF, and App are the top teams who moved up from I-AA/FCS. They are one of the top 3 G5 programs in the country right now. I don't remember seeing Citadel ranked in the FBS polls like App, NDSU, JMU, etc have pulled off receiving votes in them while in FCS. I believe App was the team that forced the change to that rule to even allow it. In fact, where was Citadel ranked in the STATS or Coaches Poll this year? I can't find them?

You guys had a down year after being ranked in the top 10 every year...oh wait I believe that was Furman and Wofford who have run the SoCon about every year? LOL.

Outside of the FCS, the sad part is that NDSU is the only team that is considered relevant right now. Nobody at FS1, ESPN, etc. really pays attention to the FCS and I wish they would because there is still some good football, especially at the top of the CAA, Big Sky, and MVFC.

I notice that you left out the 52-28 whipping in Boone the last visit. The streak is W2 and that's all that matters. App was "transitioning" all right...

cx500d
May 20th, 2020, 07:16 PM
This thread is about NDSU, and we have all the trolls come in here and co-opt the thread and drift it elsewhere besides its intent - i.e. adulation of NDSU

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2020, 10:21 PM
I notice that you left out the 52-28 whipping in Boone the last visit. The streak is W2 and that's all that matters. App was "transitioning" all right...

The last game was just 3 points and App owned the series 19-7, which is dominant, and are both facts. I believe App has throttled Citadel a few times as well. It happens. Any Given Saturday.

I just looked and both teams play in 2022. How bad do you think Citadel will beat App?

Mocs123
May 21st, 2020, 05:32 AM
This thread is about NDSU, and we have all the trolls come in here and co-opt the thread and drift it elsewhere besides its intent - i.e. adulation of NDSU

Pot, meet kettle.

uni88
May 21st, 2020, 11:58 AM
Pot, meet kettle.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/Du8wN.png

citdog
May 21st, 2020, 12:17 PM
The last game was just 3 points and App owned the series 19-7, which is dominant, and are both facts. I believe App has throttled Citadel a few times as well. It happens. Any Given Saturday.

I just looked and both teams play in 2022. How bad do you think Citadel will beat App?

THE Citadel will show up in the lesser Carolina and take your money and another scalp back to Charleston with them.

The Cadets last trip to Boone.

https://youtu.be/qCms3ZG3sao

cx500d
May 21st, 2020, 03:47 PM
THE Citadel will show up in the lesser Carolina and take your money and another scalp back to Charleston with them.

Did Ted Turner colorize this game?

smallcollegefbfan
May 21st, 2020, 08:57 PM

App was in transition but I feel like the one reason they had a bad year was the QB play. It was frustrating for them and I think by midseason the team mentally checked out. QB Londry-Jackson was not very good. My NFL contacts thought he had a real shot before his senior year for some reason and that was one player I did not see it with. Media liked him as well. He had an awful senior year and I don't even think he got a tryout in the NFL.

In 2019 the only way to compare is the one common opponent between them. App started off slow in their first game with the new coaches but beat ETSU 42-7 and by the 2nd quarter it really was not a game. Citadel beat ETSU 31-27 and had to put the game away in the 4th quarter.

The big difference for App and GSU now is both teams have a couple more potential NFL players and much better depth. In FCS a team is super lucky to have 3 very good RBs but both of them have 4-5 RBs who can run for 100 yards in a game easy. App actually beat South Carolina because of depth. Both teams had major injuries but App's 2nd and 3rd string came up big and helped put them over the top in Columbia.

App's depth is what should give them the edge with Citadel but the option is the one thing that has given App troubles at times. 2022 is a ways away though so it is hard to know how either team will look. Anything could happen and we have two years so we will see how it looks.

Schism55
May 26th, 2020, 10:48 AM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1265109380959215617

smallcollegefbfan
May 26th, 2020, 05:25 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1265109380959215617

He is really good. What is crazy here though is that the media does not effect the grades NFL teams put on players but basically two media outlets rated him super high and then everyone else just copied. This happen was not happening when he was playing or right when season was over. The media saw two respected outlets rank him high and then just copied them.

With that said, Lance is a definite talent. I have seen one year wonders a lot so I am always hesitant until I see back to back years. If he comes out and has a year like last year in terms of stats and shows improved strength and even better accuracy then I will definitely say he is a top 10 pick. I would just hold off and put him in the 2nd or 3rd round right now until he has a chance to prove he can continue to evolve and not be figured out.

Just to show that for the 2023 draft I had him in the 4th round back in January with UNI CB Omar Brown as a PFA and SIU RB Javon Williams as a PFA. They look to be the top 3 early on but it would not shock me if Brown ended up being a 2nd-4th round type player. I just won't project it this early because I like to make sure players develop and not be too quick and they let me down. I have been let down by a lot of players with great early starts in the past.

Schism55
May 27th, 2020, 12:33 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1265683351756853254

Crazy....

70MilesFromCanada
May 29th, 2020, 02:06 PM

Wow. I’m surprised it took this long for the same old dig. If there is a season played this year we will get a chance to see how UND does in the Valley. Maybe good, fair or bad but no more guessing.

cx500d
May 29th, 2020, 02:32 PM
Wow. I’m surprised it took this long for the same old dig. If there is a season played this year we will get a chance to see how UND does in the Valley. Maybe good, fair or bad but no more guessing.

Who’s guessing?

TheKingpin28
May 29th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Wow. I’m surprised it took this long for the same old dig. If there is a season played this year we will get a chance to see how UND does in the Valley. Maybe good, fair or bad but no more guessing.Avatar bet. You wont finish above 6th (record ties not included) in the Valley this year.

70MilesFromCanada
May 29th, 2020, 05:42 PM
Who’s guessing?

You answered your own question. xnodx

70MilesFromCanada
May 29th, 2020, 05:45 PM
Avatar bet. You wont finish above 6th (record ties not included) in the Valley this year.

Again, just your opinion. Everyone has one. Just saying that actual results, not opinions, will tell the story. I’m not predicting anything. Unlike
the garbage you guys are always spewing.

cx500d
May 29th, 2020, 05:46 PM
You answered your own question. xnodx
Any truth to the rumor your football team has been quarantining in the weightroom?

POD Knows
May 29th, 2020, 05:49 PM
Again, just your opinion. Everyone has one. Just saying that actual results, not opinions, will tell the story. I’m not predicting anything. Unlike
the garbage you guys are always spewing.
What is your record against MVFC teams? I honestly don't know, it should be pretty good considering you seem to play the bottom feeders like MSU and USD quite a bit. You had some losses against NDSU, probably got beat by SDSU, didn't have to play ISUr or UNI so I would guess you would be slightly over .500.

70MilesFromCanada
May 29th, 2020, 05:56 PM
What is your record against MVFC teams? I honestly don't know, it should be pretty good considering you seem to play the bottom feeders like MSU and USD quite a bit. You had some losses against NDSU, probably got beat by SDSU, didn't have to play ISUr or UNI so I would guess you would be slightly over .500.

Are you just being obtuse? (Gotta love Shawshank Redemption). My point, again, is a full season of Valley matchups will show where UND is in the pecking order. Past comparisons to the infrequent matchups are irrelevant. I can dig for many posts stating that UND couldn’t cut it if they had a Valley schedule. Well now we will see. As for Bizon or Bunnie losses, I think quite a few other Valley teams had those too. Those teams have been good. Again, I am making no predictions but I am curious. Hoping there will be a season of some sort.

POD Knows
May 29th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Are you just being obtuse? (Gotta love Shawshank Redemption). My point, again, is a full season of Valley matchups will show where UND is in the pecking order. Past comparisons to the infrequent matchups are irrelevant. I can dig for many posts stating that UND couldn’t cut it if they had a Valley schedule. Well now we will see. As for Bizon or Bunnie losses, I think quite a few other Valley teams had those too. Those teams have been good. Again, I am making no predictions but I am curious. Hoping there will be a season of some sort.Yea, I don't know what obtuse means in this context but if it is the same as sarcastic, then yea, I am being obtuse but I would still like you to post the records and it is not irrelevant, if NDSU played the Big 10 and got beat every time the history would matter, or the Big 12, I mean, it is a barometer or something.

70MilesFromCanada
May 29th, 2020, 06:03 PM
Yea, I don't know what obtuse means in this context but if it is the same as sarcastic, then yea, I am being obtuse but I would still like you to post the records and it is not irrelevant, if NDSU played the Big 10 and got beat every time the history would matter, or the Big 12, I mean, it is a barometer or something.

I remember things like: a week after week Valley schedule will grind a team down while a single matchup proves nothing. So, no respect for any wins vs a Valley team cause it was just one week. Agreed.

POD Knows
May 29th, 2020, 06:14 PM
I remember things like: a week after week Valley schedule will grind a team down while a single matchup proves nothing. So, no respect for any wins vs a Valley team cause it was just one week. Agreed.Yea, I have seen MVFC fans state that, games against ISUb, MSU are a grind, it is brutal. There are 4 decent consistent teams in the MVFC, NDSU, SDSU, UNI and ISUr, you can't beat any of those at this stage. A solid 5th or 6th would be a good showing, I have checked your recruiting threads on SS, pretty weak unless everything is secret, imagine what will happen when you are a bottom feeder in the MVFC vs a contender in the BSC. You guys need to start fast in this conference or it will be a death spiral. There aren't enough good FB players in Canada that like hockey to make up the difference.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 29th, 2020, 09:07 PM
If UND gets to .500 in Valley play I'll be surprised.

TheKingpin28
May 29th, 2020, 10:11 PM
the garbage you guys are always spewing.So I'll take that as a no, since you know it to be true?

Schism55
June 17th, 2020, 02:27 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1273236697162092544

that guy
June 17th, 2020, 02:34 PM
Seems like Dan is trying real hard to stand out at his job.

dewey
June 17th, 2020, 04:35 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1273236697162092544

I am a huge fan of Trey Lance but ahead of Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence? Come on.

Dewey

Daytripper
June 17th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Seems like Dan is trying real hard to stand out at his job.

In my personal draft rankings, I have Lance as a 7th round/Preferred free agent. Don't think his skill set translates... :Dxdrunkyx

smallcollegefbfan
June 17th, 2020, 05:11 PM
I am a huge fan of Trey Lance but ahead of Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence? Come on.

Dewey

I don't know for sure here but I just can't fathom ranking a FCS freshman that high so fast. I don't know if media members are just bored and the quarantine is getting to them or if they are just trying to get clicks? I love Lance but I don't think he is a top 5 pick right now. I feel like when you take the chip off the shoulders of FCS players they start to decline because they don't work as hard. I hope that is not what has happened here. I would hate to for them to jinx him and see Lance have a bad year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 17th, 2020, 05:27 PM

Dewey

He could be, we dont know yet. I listened to Jeremiah's assessment of TL and it seemed spot on. Now is he better than the other 2? Remains to be seen.

TL and his performance against Oregon will probably have all the NFL scouts watching. If TL has a good or very good performance against the Ducks, wow the hype train will really gain more momentum.

Professor Chaos
June 17th, 2020, 05:48 PM
He could be, we dont know yet. I listened to Jeremiah's assessment of TL and it seemed spot on. Now is he better than the other 2? Remains to be seen.

TL and his performance against Oregon will probably have all the NFL scouts watching. If TL has a good or very good performance against the Ducks, wow the hype train will really gain more momentum.
And Fields (Ohio St) plays Oregon the week after Lance if the season goes as scheduled.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 17th, 2020, 05:58 PM
And Fields (Ohio St) plays Oregon the week after Lance if the season goes as scheduled.

Boy, I hope there is a season.

Oregon is going to have a nasty defense. I'm looking forward to our OL and how they do. The only problem is that the Ducks are loaded on all 3 levels of the defense. But the one thing the Bison have going is our ground/pound style of running. Oregon doesn't face a lot of it. Let Trey run and use the TEs. This game will be tough but I guarantee the Bison will hang with them.

thebootfitter
June 17th, 2020, 09:36 PM
I don't know for sure here but I just can't fathom ranking a FCS freshman that high so fast. I don't know if media members are just bored and the quarantine is getting to them or if they are just trying to get clicks? I love Lance but I don't think he is a top 5 pick right now. I feel like when you take the chip off the shoulders of FCS players they start to decline because they don't work as hard. I hope that is not what has happened here. I would hate to for them to jinx him and see Lance have a bad year.Anything can happen, but if Lance's coaches, predecessors and mentors offer any indication, I don't think you'll see Lance slack off any due to the attention. In fact, if anything, it will probably fuel the work ethic even more.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

smilo
June 18th, 2020, 09:13 AM
I view Trevor Lawrence to be a part of the Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold pipeline of people who obviously shouldn't be first round picks that the NFL thinks are good for some reason (height and arm strength?). He might be a bit more physically gifted than those two, but he doesn't make good decisions and is lucky to be surrounded by elite talent all around him. No doubt Trey Lance has already proven himself better.

Justin Fields on the other hand is a very high IQ guy that looks like he could start for a playoff team at the next level within a year or two and should be a top 5 pick. I'm not certain Lance has proven himself to be this good yet, but another good could move him from mid-first round to top 5 or 10. Seems a bit pre-mautre, but they may have more info than us!

Bisonator
June 18th, 2020, 11:43 AM
I don't know for sure here but I just can't fathom ranking a FCS freshman that high so fast. I don't know if media members are just bored and the quarantine is getting to them or if they are just trying to get clicks? I love Lance but I don't think he is a top 5 pick right now. I feel like when you take the chip off the shoulders of FCS players they start to decline because they don't work as hard. I hope that is not what has happened here. I would hate to for them to jinx him and see Lance have a bad year.
Don't have to worry about that, Trey's as grounded as they come and knows he has plenty to get better at and work on, if he has a bad year it won't be from lack of effort. Gonna be hard to top his freshman season statistically, I mean he's bound to throw some picks at some point, just needs to keep developing.

smallcollegefbfan
June 19th, 2020, 10:41 AM
Don't have to worry about that, Trey's as grounded as they come and knows he has plenty to get better at and work on, if he has a bad year it won't be from lack of effort. Gonna be hard to top his freshman season statistically, I mean he's bound to throw some picks at some point, just needs to keep developing.

Unless he throws something like 10 picks or has a really bad TD:INT ratio I don't think anyone who knows football will look at it as a down year if he just throws a few picks. Like you said, they are going to happen. I hope he keeps the chip because he does have a chance to be special. I just feel bad for him with what media did because now he has the expectation that anything other than top 5 and his stock has dropped some when in reality the NFL was not putting solid grades on him in 2019. The only reason I think a lot of scouts will write full reports on him this year is because the school has said he may come out early so scouts will be prepared.

WeAreThePride
June 19th, 2020, 12:49 PM
Choo Choo, mutha****as. All aboard the hype train.

Schism55
June 22nd, 2020, 11:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLO0V2Lztg

Trey talk starts around the 6 minute mark

Professor
June 22nd, 2020, 12:01 PM
Pray the game happens. I wanna see him in person

dewey
June 22nd, 2020, 01:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLO0V2Lztg

Trey talk starts around the 6 minute mark

I love the fact that Joe Klatt has a Bison picture in the background during his interview.

Dewey

Herdistheword
June 23rd, 2020, 12:14 PM
Trey Lance getting early season hype like this has to be good for the entire FCS. More eyes means more chances to get noticed.

Schism55
June 23rd, 2020, 01:39 PM
Trey Lance getting early season hype like this has to be good for the entire FCS. More eyes means more chances to get noticed.

https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/1275412348874915841

Herder
June 23rd, 2020, 01:40 PM
I love the fact that Joe Klatt has a Bison picture in the background during his interview.

Dewey

That’s actually a mythical (does not exist in North America) Colorado Buffalo. Not a true Bison.

Schism55
October 6th, 2020, 04:54 PM
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1313591913078034437

Not surprising, but a punch in the gut nonetheless.