PDA

View Full Version : College Footballs Best Uniforms

UNHWildCats
June 14th, 2007, 12:33 PM
#8 Georgia Southern

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.bestuniforms/content.3.html

#6 Wofford

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.bestuniforms/content.5.html

#4 Yale

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.bestuniforms/content.7.html

OL FU
June 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I like all three of them xnodx

flexbone
June 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I like all three of them xnodx

Oh come on ! u know Furman should have been in there!

I like em too, but think FU over Woffy.

How can Michigan be #2 and wasn't Delaware in the Worst list ?

Go Bison
June 14th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Can someone explain to me the significance of the winged helmet? I don't get it.

GannonFan
June 14th, 2007, 01:03 PM
While they are fine uniforms, it begs the questions - obviously, if Michigan can be #2 how can Delaware fall so far to what was basically around the #300 mark? If Wofford is in there, why not Navy? They have basically the same uniform? And if Georgia Southern is in there why not Alabama? Is the choice of blue over red that important??? Ahhh, SI, you used to be so worth the subscription... xsmhx

GannonFan
June 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Can someone explain to me the significance of the winged helmet? I don't get it.

See the other thread (worst unis) for a detailed write-up. Basically the Princeton coach, to make passing easier, came up with a winged helmet so the QB could distinguish his receivers from the defense. He then went on to coach Michigan and brought the design there.

th0m
June 14th, 2007, 01:05 PM
While they are fine uniforms, it begs the questions - obviously, if Michigan can be #2 how can Delaware fall so far to what was basically around the #300 mark? If Wofford is in there, why not Navy? They have basically the same uniform? And if Georgia Southern is in there why not Alabama? Is the choice of blue over red that important??? Ahhh, SI, you used to be so worth the subscription... xsmhx

Or Georgia and which red uni's did they have in the worst, Utah and Iowa State...?

dgreco
June 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM
i dont get it, it was like the plainest uniforms are the best. I do like Texas though, they are all nice, but I don't get how they are the best.

OL FU
June 14th, 2007, 01:09 PM

I didn't say I like any of them better than Furman:p xsmiley_wix

Go...gate
June 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM
i dont get it, it was like the plainest uniforms are the best. I do like Texas though, they are all nice, but I don't get how they are the best.

Right on...plain, elegant and purposeful. xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
June 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I was thinking exactly the same points, also how about Notre Dame being in both the worst and best??

GannonFan
June 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I was thinking exactly the same points, also how about Notre Dame being in both the worst and best??

I agree with that point too - they wear the dark blue shirt and all of a sudden top ten - they trade it in for a reasonable shade of green and all of a sudden bottom 10. Methinks the people at SI either are not very knowledgeable or they're just pulling chains.

EmeryZach
June 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I can't believe Penn State isn't on that list. I think they have the best

uniforms by far.

GoGuins
June 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM

I don't know, big difference IMHO
http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.ugly.uniforms/images/016133764.jpghttp://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.bestuniforms/images/12062416.jpg

bulldog10jw
June 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Only 4TH?

Mountaineer
June 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Indeed, I like the Hens colors much better than Micheeeegins. xthumbsupx

GoGuins
June 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Only 4TH?

I know, what's up with that?:D

GoGuins
June 14th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Indeed, I like the Hens colors much better than Micheeeegins. xthumbsupx

I'm sure any ASU fan wouldxsmiley_wix

Kosty
June 14th, 2007, 02:05 PM
First, it's SIOC....Sports Illustrated on Campus.......not actual SI.

Second, no Penn State on the best list is a travesty.

Third, Delaware wouldn't be on the worst list if it had better blues and yellows or at the very least matched the blue in the helmet with the blue in the shirts.

Fourth, I had a fourth but can't remember it.

Mountaineer
June 14th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I'm sure any ASU fan wouldxsmiley_wix

Nothing to do with the game this year. I've never really thought they were that great. I don't like the Ohio State or Texas unis either. :D ;)

GoGuins
June 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Nothing to do with the game this year. I've never really thought they were that great. I don't like the Ohio State or Texas unis either. :D ;)

I agree with others that Penn State should be on there. Texas & Auburn are favorites of mine

GannonFan
June 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM
First, it's SIOC....Sports Illustrated on Campus.......not actual SI.

Second, no Penn State on the best list is a travesty.

Third, Delaware wouldn't be on the worst list if it had better blues and yellows or at the very least matched the blue in the helmet with the blue in the shirts.

Fourth, I had a fourth but can't remember it.

They do match now, they have since 2004. Maybe the picture isn't good but they do match now. But you're saying the difference between #2 and #300 is the shade of blue and yellow, which aren't all that different anyway? xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

JDC325
June 14th, 2007, 05:22 PM
All I know is I am happier than a pig in sheeattt thinking about how initially all those arrogant UGA fans will be real happy seeing they made the top ten THEN having their little worlds imploded when the see GSU is ranked above them.

Made my day!!! GATA EAGLES!!!

GeauxColonels
June 14th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I don't think that Georgia belongs on there. They've had too many tweaks and changes that they've tried. I just don't think of UGA when I think of classic college unis.

dgreco
June 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM
If the list is classic uni's I can see the point of a lot of teams on there, but isn't it the best uniforms?

Maroons
June 14th, 2007, 11:19 PM
If the list is classic uni's I can see the point of a lot of teams on there, but isn't it the best uniforms?

I agree completely. There is nothing wrong with having classic uniforms. But that doesn't make them unboring (see Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc.)

I have to believe there is a happy medium between Penn State and Oregon State.

Tod
June 14th, 2007, 11:34 PM

Not wings, but ears. Princeton is the Tigers, and the "wings" are actually ears, and the stripes are tiger stripes.

Not sure if that falls fully into line with a wolverine.

REALLY not sure how it falls into line with a bird.

But no offense to Delaware. I like 'em! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

The issue with the UD uniform is the colors. Too bright.

xtwocentsx

Old Cat Fan
June 14th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Penn State away on a muddy field college football at its finest.xthumbsupx

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/state.jpg

TheBisonator
June 15th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Penn State has the most gawd-awful POS uniforms in history. Anyone who thinks they're the best obviously has no sense of creativity. Penn State's unis look like a retarded kid designed them. They're a f***ing eyesore.

I think among the traditional unis, Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio State have the best. Good use of color and simplicity. Penn State and Texas make me puke. Any team who has white on 99 percent of their uniform while playing on the road automatically goes on my s*** list. They look like a bunch of Michelin men or Klan members out there.

th0m
June 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM
xlolx

GoGuins
June 15th, 2007, 05:31 AM

Michigan Winged Helmet

Who was responsible for designing the football helmets for the University of Michigan football team?

Michigan's famed winged football helmet dates back to 1938, when Fritz Crisler arrived from Princeton University with his penchant for detail and style.

"Michigan had a plain black helmet and we wanted to dress it up a little," Crisler recalled. "We added some color (maize and blue) and used the same basic helmet I had designed at Princeton."

There was one other consideration. Fritz thought this unique helmet could be helpful to his passers as they tried to spot their receivers downfield. "There was a tendency to use different-colored helmets just for receivers in those days, but I always thought that would be as helpful for the defense as for the offense," offered the former Wolverine football coach and athletic director.

http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/helmet/mhelmet.htm

Wildman
June 15th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Not wings, but ears. Princeton is the Tigers, and the "wings" are actually ears, and the stripes are tiger stripes.

Not sure if that falls fully into line with a wolverine.

REALLY not sure how it falls into line with a bird.

But no offense to Delaware. I like 'em! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

The issue with the UD uniform is the colors. Too bright.

xtwocentsx

The "wings" on the Princeton/Michigan/Delaware helmets goes back to the leather helmet days. It doesn't have anything to do with wings, tiger ears, or wolverines. The pattern actually comes from the protective layers of leather on the old helmets. Coach Crisler got the manufacturer to assemble the helmets with contrasting colors, that's all.

terrierbob
June 15th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Florida State should be in the top ten.

813Jag
June 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Florida State should be in the top ten.
But not these...xnonono2x
http://www.fanblogs.com/img3750418-01.jpg

EmeryZach
June 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Penn State has the most gawd-awful POS uniforms in history. Anyone who thinks they're the best obviously has no sense of creativity. Penn State's unis look like a retarded kid designed them. They're a f***ing eyesore.

I think among the traditional unis, Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio State have the best. Good use of color and simplicity. Penn State and Texas make me puke. Any team who has white on 99 percent of their uniform while playing on the road automatically goes on my s*** list. They look like a bunch of Michelin men or Klan members out there.

You are nuts. Penn State's uniforms are classic. They are the classiest uniforms in college football. The navy blue and white with no names on the back and the black cleats is just classic college football.

lc83
June 15th, 2007, 08:34 PM
But wouldn't it be interesting to see an alternate for a game or two for Penn State. You see some teams do a good job with alternate colors such as black, Louisville is the only one I can think of right now, or using a 3rd color from their color scheme.

Eyes of Old Main
June 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Is the choice of blue over red that important???

In football uniforms, not really. When it comes to States, they are better red than blue.

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2007, 10:42 PM
But wouldn't it be interesting to see an alternate for a game or two for Penn State. You see some teams do a good job with alternate colors such as black, Louisville is the only one I can think of right now, or using a 3rd color from their color scheme.

You wont see that until Paterno keels over, and I hope that is a very long time from now.

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 15th, 2007, 10:46 PM

Don't be so subtle. Tell us what you really think :D By the way, Penn State is classy in virtually every way, including their uniforms.....

seantaylor
June 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I love Penn State's unis. I also like Ohio States. Surprised they've got no mention.

ngineer
June 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Georgia Southern's and Penn State's are not too different (reverse the helmet color and remove the numerals for PSU) so I find it odd that the Nittany Lions wouldn't be in the top ten.
While I certainly wouldn't think ours are worthy of top ten, I think we do the most with the least---i.e. considering our primary school color is brown. We began using 'old gold' as a third color around 1980 to help give a little more color to the brown & white motif and I think it has worked quite well.

ngineer
June 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I am surprised by Texas' ranking...I really don't care for the shade of orange that they use...Clemson and Syracuse use a better shade of orange.

spelunker64
June 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/campus.bestuniforms/content.1.html

#8 Georgia Southern xthumbsupx

No_Skill
June 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Texas at number one? Personally I prefer Michigan over Texas.

Mr. C
June 22nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
They seem to put a heavy emphasis on traditional. Personally, I absolutely hate the boring and bland uniforms of teams like Georgia Southern, Wofford, Penn State, Notre Dame, Alabama and the like. I guess they would like some team even more if they were wearing leather helmets. Hey folks, ever hear of designing logos for your helmets?

th0m
June 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hey folks, ever hear of designing logos for your helmets?

You mean like this? ;) http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/image.php?u=104&dateline=1113968644

Seahawks Fan
June 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
I would pick Michigan as No. 1. That is a classic uniform.

89rabbit
June 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
They seem to put a heavy emphasis on traditional.

I noticed that too. It is an "old school" top 10.

DaveK
June 22nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Although I wouldn't rank them in that exact order, I think it's a great list. Every uniform on the list is old-school, which is the way it should be. The new style uniforms are all hideous. Ever since the Denver Broncos went away from their classic look in 1997, almost every uniform change in football at every level has been a disaster.