PDA

View Full Version : Money or a win? is it worth it?

PSUVikings
June 14th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Yesterday I was talking to some San Diego State fans about PSU's game next season with them, asked them how much the payout for PSU was, told me somewhere around 250-300 K. That is a pretty good amount but it did strike my mind about what occurred last season, is money over giving up a win worth it? It wasn't for PSU last season, we finished 7-4 last year, losses to UM, MSU, Oregon, and California. We made some BIG money from Cali and UO, but both were big losses, and in the end they hurt us, cause MSU got the playoff birth...not us. Had we played some FCS school and won we could have been 9-2, which is good enough for a playoff birth. So my question is, Is it worth taking a big loss for money? Cause for some schools it can hurt you in the long haul...........

flexbone
June 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM
1 game a year = YES
2+ games in same year = potential problem if considering getting in the playoffs.
If not a legit shot at the playoffs - TAKE THE $$$$. Build the program so that you can be a factor in years to come.

JoshUCA
June 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
1 game a year = YES
2+ games in same year = potential problem if considering getting in the playoffs.
If not a legit shot at the playoffs - TAKE THE $$$$. Build the program so that you can be a factor in years to come.

That pretty much sums it up!

slostang
June 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Yesterday I was talking to some San Diego State fans about PSU's game next season with them, asked them how much the payout for PSU was, told me somewhere around 250-300 K. That is a pretty good amount but it did strike my mind about what occurred last season, is money over giving up a win worth it? It wasn't for PSU last season, we finished 7-4 last year, losses to UM, MSU, Oregon, and California. We made some BIG money from Cali and UO, but both were big losses, and in the end they hurt us, cause MSU got the playoff birth...not us. Had we played some FCS school and won we could have been 9-2, which is good enough for a playoff birth. So my question is, Is it worth taking a big loss for money? Cause for some schools it can hurt you in the long haul...........

You can do like Cal Poly did last year and take San Diego State's money and the win.xthumbsupx

I think that playing one money (FBS) game a year is ok. More than that and it is too big of a risk.

UNHWildCats
June 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Of course the issue of Money vs Win is moot if you win the money game. lol

DaveK
June 14th, 2007, 01:27 PM
My personal feeling is don't schedule any game that you can pencil in with 99.9% certainty as a loss. I don't care what the payoff is, I don't want to be a cupcake on somebody's schedule.

SoCon48
June 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Just depends on whether your program has balls or not.

GtFllsGriz
June 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I personally don't think that it is worth it. But in this day and age all the athletic departments are needing the money so don't expect it to change. It appears that possibly UM has gotten out of their money problems and we won't have to play them unless there is a benefit that surpasses the money issue, ie, a game that we could win.

bison95
June 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I personally don't think that it is worth it. But in this day and age all the athletic departments are needing the money so don't expect it to change. .It appears that possibly UM has gotten out of their money problems and we won't have to play them unless there is a benefit that surpasses the money issue, ie, a game that we could win.

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaoxxlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaoxxlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaoxxlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaoxxlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaoxxlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaoxxlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaoxxlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

made my dayxnodx

GtFllsGriz
June 14th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I am not sure what those mean, care to elaborate?

already123
June 14th, 2007, 04:44 PM
just take the money and the win....Keep scheduling teams like SDSU, Stanford, Idaho, etc and get the win! But when you schedule two Bowl teams (like NAU did last year) you are putting your teams success in limbo....

SoCon48
June 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM
just take the money and the win....Keep scheduling teams like SDSU, Stanford, Idaho, etc and get the win! But when you schedule two Bowl teams (like NAU did last year) you are putting your teams success in limbo....

ASU played and lost to #6 LSU and Kansas in 2005. Still won their first National Championship.

Seawolf97
June 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I think 1 game season is good. If you want a chance at the money and the win then stay away from the Big Boys and a pounding. I give alot of credit to App. State and Youngstown for playing Michigan and Ohio State respectively- that is always something to look back on .
There are plenty of of good FBS programs out there where an FCS team can pull off a win or not get blown out.

Peems
June 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM
ASU played and lost to #6 LSU and Kansas in 2005. Still won their first National Championship.

he said two BCS teams is bad, playing one can't hurt you too much. But as PSU showed us, losing to top teams like cal and oregon can really hurt you, replace Cal with Southern Utah and PSU is in the playoffs

skinny_uncle
June 16th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Of course the issue of Money vs Win is moot if you win the money game. lol
Amen.
http://web.mac.com/saluki1/iWeb/Dawg%20Tracker/Indiana%20Gallery_files/DSC_4053.jpg

Eyes of Old Main
June 16th, 2007, 05:09 PM
1 game a year = YES

My exact feelings.

JALMOND
June 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM

PSU played three bowl teams last year, going 1-2. Ask New Mexico how they liked the idea of giving us the money and the win.

Ronbo
June 16th, 2007, 09:16 PM
We firgured out how to have money and win.xnodx xrotatehx xnodx Home games baby!

Grizalltheway
June 17th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I'd also like to know why that's so funny 95, are you a budget analyst for the UM athletic department?

SoCon48
June 17th, 2007, 05:51 AM
he said two BCS teams is bad, playing one can't hurt you too much. But as PSU showed us, losing to top teams like cal and oregon can really hurt you, replace Cal with Southern Utah and PSU is in the playoffs
Playing the #6 team and opening on the road at Kansas is plenty tough but didn't kill App's run to the Nat Championship. Just prepares a team well for top FCS teams.
Just takes a pair.xcoffeex

PantherRob82
June 17th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I don't remember the last time we played a FBS money game out of state. Get people to pony up for your schools athletic club and I would guess you'll see a better schedule.