PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Preseason

citdog
April 21st, 2020, 03:34 AM
The favorites to win the Southern Conference in 2020 have to be Chattanooga and The Citadel. Wofford must replace their entire offensive line, both Qb's and their best defensive lineman. Furman is soft. The furples can't win if rain is in the forecast. Chatt must replace their tranny Qb. The Citadel returns the reigning Defensive POTW and Qb Brandon Rainey who had better #'s than the Woffy Qb who won SoCon Offensive POTW in '19. The Citadel absolutely WHIPPED furman in Greenville in 2019.

citdog
April 21st, 2020, 03:36 AM
Long story short... The Citadel wins the Conference.

cx500d
April 21st, 2020, 07:37 AM
Samford is going to clean your clocks

PaladinFan
April 21st, 2020, 10:06 AM
Nonsense. Tolling aside, Furman is the clubhouse favorite.

Furman finished second in the SoCon last year. The only team they trailed, Wofford, loses darn near half their roster.

The Paladins finished with the league's top offense and top defense in 2019. They will return most of their key players on both sides of the ball.

The biggest knock on Furman last year was inconsistency at QB. They played two freshmen who, at times, struggled. They'll be another year of development in and will have the services of the league's best OL, the league's deepest RB group, and a rebuilt WR corps that has far more depth than last season's unit.

I don't ever buy the Citadel as a favorite. They lost to a few terrible teams last season. Their "keep away" style of football will allow them to fall into a few wins against good teams and they will usually stay in games by virtue of their offense as long as they don't turn it over.

citdog
April 21st, 2020, 10:37 AM
Nonsense. Tolling aside, Furman is the clubhouse favorite.

Furman finished second in the SoCon last year. The only team they trailed, Wofford, loses darn near half their roster.

The Paladins finished with the league's top offense and top defense in 2019. They will return most of their key players on both sides of the ball.

The biggest knock on Furman last year was inconsistency at QB. They played two freshmen who, at times, struggled. They'll be another year of development in and will have the services of the league's best OL, the league's deepest RB group, and a rebuilt WR corps that has far more depth than last season's unit.

I don't ever buy the Citadel as a favorite. They lost to a few terrible teams last season. Their "keep away" style of football will allow them to fall into a few wins against good teams and they will usually stay in games by virtue of their offense as long as they don't turn it over.

Your team is pretty loaded. There is just something missing. Toughness is what that is.

PaladinFan
April 21st, 2020, 12:00 PM
Your team is pretty loaded. There is just something missing. Toughness is what that is.

I do not necessarily disagree with that. Most Furman fans will tell you that Furman has, at times, struggled in a "street fight." They particularly struggled last season during inclement weather.

That's not all the time, of course. They've won a few tough defensive scraps against UTC and ETSU the past few seasons in games where the offense could never get going. They traded body blows with Virginia Tech for 4 quarters in Blacksburg this past year. Admittedly, they have struggled some against the Citadel and Wofford, two similarly-styled teams with stingy defensive fronts that won't make a lot of mistakes.

Under Hendrix, Furman's offense at times has been a bit like a fireball pitcher in baseball that can't consistently throw a breaking ball for a strike. That is, they've got the stuff to blow away a lot of hitters, but struggle against stingier guys that will flick away the fastball and lay off the curve.

SU DOG
April 21st, 2020, 12:03 PM
Right at this moment, I'm just hoping that there will be a 2020 SoCon Football Season.

Mocs123
April 21st, 2020, 01:13 PM
I agree on the fact that I just hope their is a season.

That being said, I think Furman has to be the favorite to win the SoCon, but Chattanooga should be in the hunt too (along with The Citadel). We have to replace our QB, and I'm not sure anyone knows who that will be yet, though we did get 2017 SoCon All-Freshman team member Cole Copeland back. Other possible candidates are Drayton Arnold a Senior who was highly recruited out of HS but hasn't played much in 4 years, along with Ty Gossett a strong armed Prep-School Grad who will be a Freshman. To be honest with our backfield and offensive line, I think we can win with a game manager at QB, they just have to take care of the ball. One disadvantage for us is we didn't get a Spring Practice (well we got one session in before they canceled it).

Does any SoCon school take a step back in 2020 other than Wofford?

PaladinFan
April 21st, 2020, 02:29 PM
I agree on the fact that I just hope their is a season.

That being said, I think Furman has to be the favorite to win the SoCon, but Chattanooga should be in the hunt too (along with The Citadel). We have to replace our QB, and I'm not sure anyone knows who that will be yet, though we did get 2017 SoCon All-Freshman team member Cole Copeland back. Other possible candidates are Drayton Arnold a Senior who was highly recruited out of HS but hasn't played much in 4 years, along with Ty Gossett a strong armed Prep-School Grad who will be a Freshman. To be honest with our backfield and offensive line, I think we can win with a game manager at QB, they just have to take care of the ball. One disadvantage for us is we didn't get a Spring Practice (well we got one session in before they canceled it).

Does any SoCon school take a step back in 2020 other than Wofford?

I'm not sure what to expect from Mercer.

While I think that the Bears are in good hands with Drew Cronic, he had to cobble together a recruiting class late, will change offensive systems, and won't have the benefit of a spring practice. Perhaps out of every team in the SoCon, Mercer needed the spring practice the most given the coaching change.

I think Cronic will have Mercer a more disciplined football team. What I'm not sure about is how much the lack of spring practice will cost a team trying to put in new offensive systems.

cx500d
April 21st, 2020, 02:36 PM
Long story short... The Citadel wins the Conference.
You will be lucky to get away from 9/19 with a close loss

citdog
April 21st, 2020, 04:05 PM
You will be lucky to get away from 9/19 with a close loss

Beat CSU last season without Rainey. If he stays healthy the 'Dogs will be thrusting.

ElCid
April 21st, 2020, 11:15 PM
Beat CSU last season without Rainey. If he stays healthy the 'Dogs will be thrusting.

Yeah, I like our chances. Great experience coming back.

And we got our new field!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2SV9zSFCqLg

PaladinNation
April 22nd, 2020, 06:19 AM

Citdog… sadly I agree with ya. Street fight toughness starts in the trenches and in the big SoCon games - the Dogs of the SoCon won those fights.

Hendrix will not settle for that, period. This season (hopefully) we'll see if the accolades about the young Paladin offensive linemen show up on the field. At times I think Furman's linemen got whipped, to be the top dog, that has to stop. I do think you'll see a Furman offensive line in 2020 play with more piss and vinegar. Keep an eye on Johanning and Toomey.

The other side of the ball Furman again loses a coach and somehow raises the bar with a new hire. Kevin Lewis has option experience (Army) and a lot of CAA experience (W&M). Again, all of this has to translate to the field.

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2020, 07:06 AM
Citdog… sadly I agree with ya. Street fight toughness starts in the trenches and in the big SoCon games - the Dogs of the SoCon won those fights.

Hendrix will not settle for that, period. This season (hopefully) we'll see if the accolades about the young Paladin offensive linemen show up on the field. At times I think Furman's linemen got whipped, to be the top dog, that has to stop. I do think you'll see a Furman offensive line in 2020 play with more piss and vinegar. Keep an eye on Johanning and Toomey.

The other side of the ball Furman again loses a coach and somehow raises the bar with a new hire. Kevin Lewis has option experience (Army) and a lot of CAA experience (W&M). Again, all of this has to translate to the field.

I see both sides.

The recipe for beating Furman last year was essentially the same for every team - load up the box, try to stop the running game, and pressure the young QBs into making mistakes. If Furman is able to establish a running game, their misdirection and play action game will blow a defense off the field.

The passing game ended up being problematic because Furman essentially had one primary target - Thomas Gordon. If a defense had 8 guys it could throw at the backfield and a way of covering up Gordon, you had a pretty good shot of slowing down Furman's offense.

Going into 2020, I think we'll see improvement. I do not believe the issue is particularly an offensive line one; after all, there are only 5 OL and Furman's TE is more of a receiver than a blocker.

The key, for me, is the maturation of Darren Grainger and whether Furman can eventually start consistently punishing defenses for aggressively trying to stop the running game.

citdog
April 22nd, 2020, 11:22 AM
ETSU is a little bit of a wildcard. They were able to stay in a lot of games last season due to good play on the defensive front. Most of those dudes are gone. Their offense was problematic in 2019. Will they be any better? Who is going to play Qb for the Bucs?

cx500d
April 22nd, 2020, 11:36 AM
ETSU is a little bit of a wildcard. They were able to stay in a lot of games last season due to good play on the defensive front. Most of those dudes are gone. Their offense was problematic in 2019. Will they be any better? Who is going to play Qb for the Bucs?

Tom Brady, I heard.

FormerPokeCenter
April 22nd, 2020, 11:45 AM
He's gonna get a huge assist with the addition of Gronkowski...

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2020, 03:30 PM

Looks like they return the formidably 1-2 punch of Holmes and Saylor. QB is still a question mark.

Defensively, I'd expect a step back. They graduate a good bit of their depth and, most notably, Nasir Player. Player was one of those rare guys that would force offenses to plan around him.

UpstateBison
April 22nd, 2020, 08:32 PM
The real preseason question is if the SoCon champ can beat the Big South (KSU) champ in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cx500d
April 22nd, 2020, 08:47 PM
The real preseason question is if the SoCon champ can beat the Big South (Monmouth) champ in the playoffs.

FYP

PaladinFan
April 23rd, 2020, 06:51 AM
It wouldn't be a SoCon thread without NDSU fans trying to troll by shouting to nobody in particular.

cx500d
April 23rd, 2020, 04:28 PM
It wouldn't be a SoCon thread without NDSU fans trying to troll by shouting to nobody in particular.

https://i.imgflip.com/296fqm.jpg

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 05:00 PM
Every thread is about NDSU "dontcha know"

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 05:02 PM
Would LOVE to host the bison at The General.

FUBeAR
April 23rd, 2020, 05:14 PM
Would LOVE to host the bison at The General.Hmmm...do ya think the bizuns would be willing to play in half-a-stadium?

cx500d
April 23rd, 2020, 05:41 PM
Every thread is about NDSU "dontcha know"
https://pics.me.me/this-guy-gets-it-emegenerator-net-45785468.png

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 06:58 PM
Hmmm...do ya think the bizuns would be willing to play in half-a-stadium?

Yet somehow the Cadets outdraw Mercer and vermin..

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 07:09 PM
In Greenville last season The Citadel beat vermin 27-10. The furples laid down when they got behind like a College of Charleston girl does for a Cadet on a Friday night. We really took it easy on the furples. 27-10 could have been 57-10 because it was about that close against the #8 team in the country. vermin is SOFT. That softness starts at the top. There is a reason Clay Hendrix is not the head coach of The Citadel Bulldogs even though he has applied multiple times. He is soft. Any team he coaches will be a reflection of his softness.

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 07:10 PM
"Blame it on the rain."

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 07:19 PM
In case you have reading comprehension problems I'm saying that Furman football players are pussies and your coach is a pussy. See you in Charleston at The General queefs.

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 07:32 PM
TOUCHDOWN! The Citadel!

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 07:40 PM
27-10

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 07:58 PM
Took two knees up 27-10 inside your 15. Should have given the ball right up the gut to Clay Harris.

cx500d
April 23rd, 2020, 08:41 PM
Would LOVE to host the bison at The General.
I'm sure the east coast and carolina contingent of Bison would love to come to the General.

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 09:17 PM
I'm sure the east coast and carolina contingent of Bison would love to come to the General.

You don't want any part of The Cadets at The General.

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 09:32 PM
The only way you whip the bison is by being tougher than they are. At The Citadel EVERYONE of us is WAY tougher than ANYONE they have EVER produced..

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 09:55 PM
Come on Bicourious homos.

PaladinFan
April 24th, 2020, 06:24 AM
At least we don't play football in a civic center.

cx500d
April 24th, 2020, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan;2879358]At least we don't play football/QUOTE]

FYP

FUBeAR
April 24th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Are you sure that contingent will be able to fit on the bellhops’ visitors’ bleachers?

http://sportsbyapt.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/08/Charleston-Southern-Gridiron-RS-52T-2-Web.jpg

cx500d
April 24th, 2020, 09:08 AM
Are you sure that contingent will be able to fit on the bellhops’ visitors’ bleachers?

http://sportsbyapt.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/08/Charleston-Southern-Gridiron-RS-52T-2-Web.jpg

That is the home stands. Other side would be the visitors side when the Bison play

walliver
April 24th, 2020, 09:09 AM
At this point, I just hope there is a season. Fortunately, for us, social distancing in the stands won't be an issue. It could, however, affect the inside the stadium tailgating in the Verandah lot. The college would probably check with all those well-off donors to make sure the school was included in their wills before allowing them in.

UpstateBison
April 27th, 2020, 09:50 PM
The only way you whip the bison is by being tougher than they are. At The Citadel EVERYONE of us is WAY tougher than ANYONE they have EVER produced..

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

MR. CHICKEN
April 28th, 2020, 09:08 AM
Took two knees up 27-10 inside your 15. Should have given the ball right up the gut to Clay Harris.

.....FAKE FG....WOODAH...BEEN.....UH SPORTSMANSHIP.....NICE TOUCH.........BRAWK!

PaladinFan
April 28th, 2020, 10:31 AM
.....FAKE FG....WOODAH...BEEN.....UH SPORTSMANSHIP.....NICE TOUCH.........BRAWK!

Don't let him fool you. The Citadel and Furman played in nasty weather. It was 7-3 at half time. The difference in the game ended up being two short touchdown drives by the Citadel in the second half on possessions starting deep in Furman territory, including one starting on the 12.

In all the "tough" talk, there's no mention, of course, of the Citadel giving up 61 points to the softest team in FCS football.

PaladinFan
April 28th, 2020, 10:37 AM
Speaking of Samford, I had failed to notice that they announced a lot of changes to their coaching staff a few weeks ago - https://samfordsports.com/news/2020/3/16/football-announces-coaching-staff-changes.aspx

By my count, that looks to be roughly half the coaching staff. If history is an indicator, mass change to the assistant coaches tend to be suggestive that the coach's seat is getting hot as the subordinates look for other opportunities while they can.

citdog
April 28th, 2020, 04:01 PM
Don't let him fool you. The Citadel and Furman played in nasty weather. It was 7-3 at half time. The difference in the game ended up being two short touchdown drives by the Citadel in the second half on possessions starting deep in Furman territory, including one starting on the 12.

In all the "tough" talk, there's no mention, of course, of the Citadel giving up 61 points to the softest team in FCS football.

Typical verminite. You fail to mention that is was in 5 overtimes and our Qb couldn't run after being yanked down by the facemask at Georgia Tech and we almost beat Samford by throwing the ball. You were accurate with the weather conditions in Greenville. Furman can't play in the rain. It causes their mascara to run.

ElCid
April 28th, 2020, 05:10 PM

Yeah, that's a little bit of spin there. Total yards 392 to 216. The other drive which you said was "deep" started at the Furman 31. I haven't heard that the 31 yard line was considered deep. Oh well. Not to mention we got the ball there after you punted it all of 25 yards. Pretty soft.

As for the other "deep" drive, so? We sacked your QB for 13 yards and he dropped the ball at the 12. Two quick running plays and BOOM, fire those cannons. The difference in the game was your punter and QB choked under our Defensive pressure. Oops!

And just for the record, it was 38 all at the end of regulation against Samford. And as Citdog pointed out, our QB was at half speed with a bum leg against Samford and still threw for almost 200 yards and ran for 65 more...at half speed.

PaladinFan
April 28th, 2020, 07:34 PM
Yeah, that's a little bit of spin there. Total yards 392 to 216. The other drive which you said was "deep" started at the Furman 31. I haven't heard that the 31 yard line was considered deep. Oh well. Not to mention we got the ball there after you punted it all of 25 yards. Pretty soft.

As for the other "deep" drive, so? We sacked your QB for 13 yards and he dropped the ball at the 12. Two quick running plays and BOOM, fire those cannons. The difference in the game was your punter and QB choked under our Defensive pressure. Oops!

And just for the record, it was 38 all at the end of regulation against Samford. And as Citdog pointed out, our QB was at half speed with a bum leg against Samford and still threw for almost 200 yards and ran for 65 more...at half speed.

Furman played their worst game of the year that day. You go back and watch that game, and Furman had men open all afternoon. The freshman QB just couldn't get the ball to them.

Yes, getting the ball at the +31 yard line is deep. Most teams can score from that distance and not run a single play. The Citadel had 1 touchdown all game where they actually had to cross the 50 (on the opening drive).

I watched the Samford/Citadel game. I missed how Rainey's bum leg surrendered a two touchdown lead in the 4th quarter or surrendered 61 points. The Citadel's defense was abused that day. I thought Samford may have been better than they were until I watched Furman eviscerate them in Birmingham the next weekend. I don't know if that was the biggest butt whipping of Chris Hatcher's career, but it'll do until it comes.

ElCid
April 28th, 2020, 08:38 PM
Furman played their worst game of the year that day. You go back and watch that game, and Furman had men open all afternoon. The freshman QB just couldn't get the ball to them.

Yes, getting the ball at the +31 yard line is deep. Most teams can score from that distance and not run a single play. The Citadel had 1 touchdown all game where they actually had to cross the 50 (on the opening drive).

I watched the Samford/Citadel game. I missed how Rainey's bum leg surrendered a two touchdown lead in the 4th quarter or surrendered 61 points. The Citadel's defense was abused that day. I thought Samford may have been better than they were until I watched Furman eviscerate them in Birmingham the next weekend. I don't know if that was the biggest butt whipping of Chris Hatcher's career, but it'll do until it comes.

The reason Samford came back was we couldn't play keep away as easily as we could have had he been healthy. Not that difficult to figure out. He was out for CSU, down for Samford and VMI and only started picking back up for WCU and Furman. I am not even convinced he ever got back to 100%. But he will be back again to torment you.

And sorry, the 31 ain't deep. It's a stupid point, but I think most people consider inside the 25 as "deep." Still, it only took us 6 plays to score. You guys had no grit. And that said a lot.

citdog
April 28th, 2020, 09:53 PM

27-10 and it could have been worse.

The first man speaking is R'shaud Graham. Our team Chaplin. He passed away today. He "completed his mission."

https://youtu.be/Bkxlh8gtJQo

PaladinFan
April 29th, 2020, 06:40 AM
The reason Samford came back was we couldn't play keep away as easily as we could have had he been healthy. Not that difficult to figure out. He was out for CSU, down for Samford and VMI and only started picking back up for WCU and Furman. I am not even convinced he ever got back to 100%. But he will be back again to torment you.

And sorry, the 31 ain't deep. It's a stupid point, but I think most people consider inside the 25 as "deep." Still, it only took us 6 plays to score. You guys had no grit. And that said a lot.

I disagree on the grit. Furman's defense held Citadel off most of the afternoon even though they got nothing from the offense. It isn't easy to defense an option team in bad weather for four quarters when the offense can't stay on the field.

In my view, The Citadel exposed Furman's greatest weakness and, really, the reason the Paladins were not ready for "prime time" - tough defenses could too easily disrupt the passing game by stuffing the box and pressuring Darren Grainger. Wofford and APSU did the same thing. Most of the time Furman lost, the games looked very similar.

Furman's biggest question mark this season is consistent QB play. Furman will have as much talent on offense as they've had since Ingle Martin was under center. Grainger has all the talent, he just needs consistency.

citdog
April 29th, 2020, 10:18 AM
I disagree on the grit. Furman's defense held Citadel off most of the afternoon even though they got nothing from the offense. It isn't easy to defense an option team in bad weather for four quarters when the offense can't stay on the field.

In my view, The Citadel exposed Furman's greatest weakness and, really, the reason the Paladins were not ready for "prime time" - tough defenses could too easily disrupt the passing game by stuffing the box and pressuring Darren Grainger. Wofford and APSU did the same thing. Most of the time Furman lost, the games looked very similar.

Furman's biggest question mark this season is consistent QB play. Furman will have as much talent on offense as they've had since Ingle Martin was under center. Grainger has all the talent, he just needs consistency.

Furman. Grit. Lol lol just count the number of touchdowns scored by The Citadel where if they were playing two hand touch you still wouldn't have stopped them. WE WHIPPED YOUR #8 ASS ON YOUR OWN FIELD AND OUR FANS OUTNUMBERED YOURS. Perhaps you will do better this year at The General but I doubt it because your team is femine.

POD Knows
April 29th, 2020, 10:56 AM
I'm sure the east coast and carolina contingent of Bison would love to come to the General.Dude, I would be there with bells on baby. I would rather go there than freaking Towson.

cx500d
April 29th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Dude, I would be there with bells on baby. I would rather go there than freaking Towson.

Not me. Towson is a local commute

citdog
April 29th, 2020, 11:24 AM
Dude, I would be there with bells on baby. I would rather go there than freaking Towson.
The Cadets were not afraid of Santa Anna, Abraham Lincoln, the Kaiser, Hitler, Tojo, Kim Jong IL, Giap, Saddam, or Bin Laden. They seriously aren't afraid of you.

cx500d
April 29th, 2020, 12:52 PM
The Cadets were not afraid of Santa Anna, Abraham Lincoln, the Kaiser, Hitler, Tojo, Kim Jong IL, Giap, Saddam, or Bin Laden. They seriously aren't afraid of you.
What about Shannon Faulkner?

POD Knows
April 29th, 2020, 01:11 PM
The Cadets were not afraid of Santa Anna, Abraham Lincoln, the Kaiser, Hitler, Tojo, Kim Jong IL, Giap, Saddam, or Bin Laden. They seriously aren't afraid of you.We would stomp you into oblivion but at least your players could tell their children and grandchildren of the day that got bitched slapped by the greatest college football "program" in all of America, there, now I am done polluting your thread. xlolx