PDA

View Full Version : Tenn. State could lose $750K if games against Southern, Jackson State are not played

ASU33
April 13th, 2020, 12:46 PM
https://www.hbcusports.com/2020/04/09/report-tennessee-state-could-lose-750k-if-games-against-southern-jackson-state-are-canceled/

Tennessee State could lose $750k this year if big games against rivals Jackson State and Southern are canceled. Tennessee State is schedule to play Southern in Detroit in the revival of the Detroit Football Classic on September 6th and is scheduled to meet Jackson State in The Southern Heritage Classic in Memphis on September 13th.

dgtw
April 13th, 2020, 02:06 PM
A lot of FCS teams will be hurting if they can’t play their FBS money game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormerPokeCenter
April 13th, 2020, 02:17 PM
Pretty much every non-elite team in the country is in the same boat. I feel sorry for them, but no more so than anybody else. It's a tragedy for everybody involved..

A&T AGGIE96
April 13th, 2020, 06:01 PM
A lot of FCS teams will be hurting if they can’t play their FBS money game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but these aren’t FBS money games...most FCS schools don’t see anything close to those numbers playing each other.

If we all had games like these w wouldn’t need FBS money games.

FormerPokeCenter
April 13th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Yeah, but these aren’t FBS money games...most FCS schools don’t see anything close to those numbers playing each other.

If we all had games like these w wouldn’t need FBS money games.

They're also not home and home games. They're classic games that are structured differently and which have outside organizations promoting and sponsoring them. From the standpoint that these games are far different than the home and home series these teams normally schedule with their conference mates, they might as well be FBS money games.

favorite football fan
April 13th, 2020, 09:39 PM
When a PWI gets the flu, an HBCU gets double pneumonia. Heck, most if not all, HBCUs are on life support as we speak and that is not their athletic departments alone. Their entire institution are operating on a shoe-string. Low resource? You would be considered "well off" if you are considered "low resource".

cx500d
April 13th, 2020, 09:41 PM
When a PWI gets the flu, an HBCU gets double pneumonia. Heck, most if not all, HBCUs are on life support as we speak and that is not their athletic departments alone. Their entire institution are operating on a shoe-string. Low resource? You would be considered "well off" if you are considered "low resource".
I don't know how that is possible with all these big payday "classic" games, high game attendance, celebration bowl payouts, etc.

favorite football fan
April 13th, 2020, 10:01 PM
I don't know how that is possible with all these big payday "classic" games, high game attendance, celebration bowl payouts, etc.

Not every HBCU plays in these "classic" games. And when you "cut the pie" the payout is probably not as near as one would think. And I do not think these classic games rake in that much cash above and beyond the overhead expense. And yes, a good number of HBCU's are operating on a shoe-string. The endowments are not large and there is very little room for error as per budgeting. Alumni giving is not that strong. Prioritization is key but sometimes errors are made in predictions and plans. A $800K payday for a game is huge for an HBCU and adds much to meet the budget.

ASU33
April 14th, 2020, 02:22 PM

Because HBCUs are historically underfunded. I know mine was up until we along with other HBCUs in the state of Alabama sued the state. You have the same thing playing out in Maryland, North Carolina and other states right now.

https://diverseeducation.com/article/73463/

WestCoastAggie
April 15th, 2020, 08:54 AM
A&T has a chance to lose $850K alone if we can't play NDSU and our Homecoming game this Fall and that's before we account our other home games.

Professor
April 15th, 2020, 01:49 PM
Because HBCUs are historically underfunded. I know mine was up until we along with other HBCUs in the state of Alabama sued the state. You have the same thing playing out in Maryland, North Carolina and other states right now.

https://diverseeducation.com/article/73463/

As well they should and i'm glad to see it. Public is public

unknown3
April 15th, 2020, 09:21 PM
At this point, there's pretty much no chance there's a season this year.

cx500d
April 15th, 2020, 09:33 PM
At this point, there's pretty much no chance there's a season this year.
https://media2.giphy.com/media/8vDbvPMP3tGF2/giphy.gif

GannonFan
April 16th, 2020, 09:23 AM
Quick thought, though. Most of FCS doesn't make a profit on their football programs - with the exception of NDSU, Montana, and maybe JMU, that's just possibly 3 out of 120 some odd teams that make money. And even with those 3, the biggest slice of revenue comes from student fees (at least for JMU). I understand the need for FBS programs to play - they make their money on ticket sales, other game day revenue, and TV/marketing contracts. And then they use that money to plow into support of all the other sports. In FCS, every sport is a revenue loser. Heck, I'd argue that some schools could lose less money by not playing football this year. Not that I want that, but just a reality check on the financial importance of FCS football.

FormerPokeCenter
April 16th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Quick thought, though. Most of FCS doesn't make a profit on their football programs - with the exception of NDSU, Montana, and maybe JMU, that's just possibly 3 out of 120 some odd teams that make money. And even with those 3, the biggest slice of revenue comes from student fees (at least for JMU). I understand the need for FBS programs to play - they make their money on ticket sales, other game day revenue, and TV/marketing contracts. And then they use that money to plow into support of all the other sports. In FCS, every sport is a revenue loser. Heck, I'd argue that some schools could lose less money by not playing football this year. Not that I want that, but just a reality check on the financial importance of FCS football.

Uh, just a minor clarification here, but there's only ONE sport in FCS...The non-football athletic teams for FCS schools don't play in the FCS. They play in the NCAA's Division I...

citdog
April 16th, 2020, 11:53 AM
Uh, just a minor clarification here, but there's only ONE sport in FCS...The non-football athletic teams for FCS schools don't play in the FCS. They play in the NCAA's Division I...

FCS is Division I too.

FormerPokeCenter
April 16th, 2020, 01:18 PM
FCS is Division I too.

Is it?

GannonFan
April 16th, 2020, 04:03 PM
Is it?

Yes, it is.

FormerPokeCenter
April 16th, 2020, 04:11 PM
Yes, it is.

I couldn't tell it by your post. Thanks for the clarification....

kdinva
April 17th, 2020, 11:25 AM
Is it?

yes, it is.

the old designations, remember, were Div. 1A and 1AA.

FormerPokeCenter
April 17th, 2020, 12:34 PM
I hear a giant whooshing sound as the sarcasm flies by rapidly, just overhead.....