PDA

View Full Version : Two Headed Monster Attacks the Gateway!!!

Reed Rothchild
August 16th, 2005, 10:51 AM
UNI now has 2 great running backs to attack to the Gateway. Farley can't contain his excitement and I'm really looking forward to the season. They both get along so don't look for a lot of chemistry issues coming from them. The Panthers have the receivers to stretch the field too and aren't afraid to drop one on anyone who lines up 9 in the box. I hope everyone can stay healthy this year and look for the Panthers to have a big year. Hopefully, it will translate into some playoff wins too.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050816/SPORTS05/508160394/1003/SPORTS

P2TheB
August 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Things are definitely exciting in Cedar Falls!!! I am pumped for this season. The offense should be fine, it's the defense I am a little worried about. However, it's been the defense that has been receiving all of the practice praise. With Key and Dokes as shut down corners and Koebcke and Heidemann clogging up the middle at the MLB positions, I think this could be the best Mark Farley coached team. In order to go deep into the playoffs, a team has to have a little good fortune on your side, stay healthy, and be talented.

GannonFan
August 16th, 2005, 02:22 PM
In order to go deep into the playoffs, a team has to have a little good fortune on your side, stay healthy, and be talented.

And as for UNI to go deep, getting home games in the dome would be beneficial as well - I don't think they've won a road playoff game since the mid 90's and then it was a nailbiter against an Ohio Valley team - UNI needs to have a great season and get a high seed.

Pen Guin
August 16th, 2005, 03:06 PM
You can have all of the star backs you want, as long they are over 5' 5" tall & their name is not Carter. We have been able to stop almost every back UNI has ever possessed, but Carter gave us fits for what seems like 10 years of eligibility. The old Flying Dutchmen were the same way ... small speedy backs. Hofstra's backs had great hands as well. In the GFC & you cannot see them until they are past you. You have to use a 3-4 & bring in a small speedy DB to cover them.

P2TheB
August 16th, 2005, 03:10 PM
UNI last won on the road in 2001 against Eastern Illinois.

MR. CHICKEN
August 16th, 2005, 03:21 PM
UNI now has 2 great running backs to attack to the Gateway. Farley can't contain his excitement and I'm really looking forward to the season. They both get along so don't look for a lot of chemistry issues coming from them. The Panthers have the receivers to stretch the field too and aren't afraid to drop one on anyone who lines up 9 in the box. I hope everyone can stay healthy this year and look for the Panthers to have a big year. Hopefully, it will translate into some playoff wins too.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050816/SPORTS05/508160394/1003/SPORTS

LET ME GUESS..............YA'LL GONNA CALL DEM......"THUNDER"...AN'..."LIGHTNIN'.......BEEN THRU DAT STORM...DERE PANTHER DROPPIN'S!.............:p...........AWK!

P2TheB
August 16th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Thunder and Lightning was Southern Illinois.

This is combo is just Freeney and Horne. No nicknames needed.

Hansel
August 16th, 2005, 05:58 PM
How about Ace and Gary?

http://www.elvistrooper.com/stuff/happy.gif

igo4uni
August 16th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I'm just happy that the Des Moines Register:

A) Realized that UNI actually has a football team

B) Published a story about said team

I being sarcastic, but it sure seems to me that Iowa and Iowa State get 10 times the coverage that UNI gets in the Des Moines Register.

peace

igo4uni

igo4uni
August 16th, 2005, 06:45 PM
And as for UNI to go deep, getting home games in the dome would be beneficial as well - I don't think they've won a road playoff game since the mid 90's and then it was a nailbiter against an Ohio Valley team - UNI needs to have a great season and get a high seed.

So true, in my opinion.

UNI can do well in the playoffs without home games. However, it sure seems to be much easier to win in the fabulous UNI-Dome.

http://www.denardis.com/specialimage/s_images/uni1.jpg
The fabulous UNI-Dome

peace

igo4uni

GannonFan
August 17th, 2005, 12:08 AM
UNI last won on the road in 2001 against Eastern Illinois.

I apologize - so that's two road wins in the past 10 years,both against the Ohio Valley during easily the most feeble time in Ohio Valley history. Point's still the same.

Mr. C
August 17th, 2005, 12:52 AM
UNI had a pretty good one-two punch in the past couple of years with Freeney and mighty-mite Carter, so this is just more of the same. But with a good young QB in Sanders, a top-flight WR in Surrency and a recharged defense, I think the Panthers could be one of the sleeper teams in the country this year. WKU and SIU better watch out. The game with SIU is in the dome, so that is a big plus for UNI.

Pantherpower
August 17th, 2005, 09:40 PM
GannonFan,

Your comment on home field importance is hard to argue with. The only teams in recent memory to me to make much noise on the road have been JMU in '04, WKU in '02 and a couple of the YSU squads in the '90s. Haven't given it a lot of thought, but who am I missing?

GannonFan
August 18th, 2005, 09:08 AM
GannonFan,

Your comment on home field importance is hard to argue with. The only teams in recent memory to me to make much noise on the road have been JMU in '04, WKU in '02 and a couple of the YSU squads in the '90s. Haven't given it a lot of thought, but who am I missing?

Delaware was on the losing end of two semifinal home games a few years back (McNeese in '97 and Georgia Southern in '00) so homefield isn't the end all be all in the playoffs, especially in the later rounds. But for schools with significant home field advantages (UD, Montana, Georgia Southern, McNeese, UNI) playing at home is a big boost - it doesn't win the game by itself but it does help. I believe UMass in '98 got a few road games as well before beating GSU in the championship - not all 3 road games but I thought maybe 2. UNI, unless they are really that much better than the rest of IAA, routinely struggles in the playoffs on the road - however, they would be a beast at home if they got one of the top 2 seeds - hard to see them not making Chatty if that was the case (of course, Chatty does not have a roof so all bets would be off then for UNI).

P2TheB
August 18th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Just a side note to what GannonFan said.

UNI practices outside almost all of the season. They only play in the Dome on gamedays, when lightning strikes, and mabye 1 time per week late in the season (typically the day before a game).

GannonFan
August 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Just a side note to what GannonFan said.

UNI practices outside almost all of the season. They only play in the Dome on gamedays, when lightning strikes, and mabye 1 time per week late in the season (typically the day before a game).

Then why, do you think, they are at such an advantage in the dome versus not?

Chi Panther
August 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I think Gannon Fan is speaking the truth....UNI does struggle in the Playoffs on the Road. I think that is all he is really trying to say.

I can only think of a couple road playoff victories for UNI.

But for anyone to lump UNI into the recent Gateway playoff struggles is silly....

I've said this on here before and I'll say it again....this UNI team on paper is the best we've had for a while....there is something special brewing in Cedar Falls this year.....

igo4uni
August 18th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Then why, do you think, they are at such an advantage in the dome versus not?

Ask any Southern Illinois fan!! :D :D :D :D

peace

igo4uni

P2TheB
August 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM
In addition to the two running backs, UNI has also picked up a few more unnoted or confirmed before transfers:

Cyrus Garrett 6'1" 246 LB transfer from Illinois (was a HS All-American out of Chicago)--currently a junior
Brett Bergman 6'3" 325 OL transfer from Iowa State (was a preferred walk on)---currently a RS freshman
Josh Fristley 5'11 230 FB transfer from Ellsworth CC (1st Team All-Region)---currently a junior
Matt Mackey 6'2 255 DE transfer from Iowa Central CC---currently a junior

Of these, Garrett will probably have a very good chance at starting, and Fristley will too. Mackey is an unknown, and Bergman is probably a year or so away. UNI's O-line right now averages 6'4"/295, and the 2nd string (disregarding one player at 230!!!) is 6'4"/297. Only 1 projected starter is a senior, and only one backup is a senior (6 sophs in the 2 deeps). So, hopefully this young, but experienced line will be able to carry the Panthers for the next few years....they're going to have to!

I-AA Fan
August 19th, 2005, 06:06 PM
All you have to do is go to a game in the dome, and you will know the advantage. I have only been there once. Many teams practice inside & out. Most teams I know, mostly IA with the funds for indoor practice, will play inside. Tressel (OSU) holds all of his spring camps inside & much of the fall camp as well. (however they have a full indoor field). They lock the doors so the scouts & media cannot get in. Also, you practice inside with fan noise soundtracks & band music playing to teach play-calling in hostile environments.

ISUMatt
August 19th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Speaking of Gateway, Illinois State will rely on RBs Brian Thompson and transfer Pierre Rembert!!

Chi Panther
August 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I'm excited for ISU! The Offense will be solid.

Lots of talented RBs in the Gateway this year......kinda thin on the WRs however....

Saluki_man
August 21st, 2005, 03:45 PM
Ask any Southern Illinois fan!! :D :D :D :D

peace

igo4uni

That dome has given me nightmares the last two years in both football and basketball.

ISUMatt
August 21st, 2005, 03:55 PM
I'm excited for ISU! The Offense will be solid.

Lots of talented RBs in the Gateway this year......kinda thin on the WRs however....

And QBs

Cap'n Cat
August 24th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Warning to SIU fans: Cap'n Cat's award-winning Gateway Conference Season Preview hits the bandwidth next week and in the preliminary manuscripts, the Salookeys are not treated kindly, or fairly, for that matter.

Be watching at a I-AA message board near you!

:D :D :D :p :p :p :p

igo4uni
August 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Warning to SIU fans: Cap'n Cat's award-winning Gateway Conference Season Preview hits the bandwidth next week and in the preliminary manuscripts, the Salookeys are not treated kindly, or fairly, for that matter.

Be watching at a I-AA message board near you!

:D :D :D :p :p :p :p

Oh man, I can't wait!! :) :) :)

How about the boys from Macomb?? Will they be treated with love and respect??

peace

igo4uni

igo4uni
August 24th, 2005, 04:33 PM
That dome has given me nightmares the last two years in both football and basketball.

2005-2006 will be the last year for basketball in the Fabulous UNI-Dome.

Construction is well under way for the McLeod Center, directly south of the UNI-Dome.

http://www.uni-foundation.org/foundation/SF/images/UNI-Arena-UpHi-NE-final_jpg.jpg

http://www.uni-foundation.org/foundation/SF/images/UNI-HOF-E-final_jpg.jpg
Walkway between the McLeod Center and the UNI-Dome

Live webcam of McLeod Center construction (http://www.vpaf.uni.edu/facplan/Content/McLeod/Current/webcam-live.asp)

peace

igo4uni

Cap'n Cat
August 24th, 2005, 05:16 PM
2005-2006 will be the last year for basketball in the Fabulous UNI-Dome.

Construction is well under way for the McLeod Center, directly south of the UNI-Dome.

peace

igo4uni

Looks pretty, go4, but the *****ers built over my tailgating spot!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Regarding WIU and the Preseason Review, they've been down for a year or two, so I'll go somewhat easy on them. Youngstown gets no such largesse on the part of The Cap'n.

:D

GoGuins
August 25th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Youngstown gets no such largesse on the part of The Cap'n.

:D

Where's the love Cap'n? YSU will have a three headed monster in the backfield as we are going to the wishbone.

And YSU will kick UNI's a$$es in the Dome this year http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/mac/invision/html/emoticons/nutkick.gif

igo4uni
August 25th, 2005, 07:33 PM
And YSU will kick UNI's a$$es in the Dome this year http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/mac/invision/html/emoticons/nutkick.gif

Now, now, Guins. Let's not get crazy here!! :) :)

We all know the Panthers are tough to beat in the Fabulous UNI-Dome.

peace

igo4uni