PDA

View Full Version : ASU vs. Montana Schedule

Saint3333
June 13th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I didn't want to hi-jack the FCS champ prediction thread so I thought I'd move this discussion.

Original post on the subject:

If I were a Montana fan I wouldn't get into a strength of schedule discussions with many teams. For fun let's just compare Montana to ASU note toughest to weakest games are compared. Note AGS rankings (#):

@ Michigan FBS top 5 - @ MSU (21) ASU
@ Furman (9) – PSU (14) ASU
@ Wofford (16) - @ NAU (36) ASU
NAU (36) - Albany (44) ASU
GSU (34) – Weber St. (4-7) ASU
@ Citadel (47) – EWU (3-8) ASU
UTC (3-8) – @ Sac St. (4-7) Montana
@ Elon (5-6) – @ Idaho St. (2-9) Draw
G-Webb (6-5)– Southern Utah (3-8) ASU
WCU (2-9) – N. Colorado (1-10) ASU
L-R – Fort Lewis (D2) Montana

ASU 8-2-1.

Ok, Homer, but the ONLY thing that makes ASU's schedule tougher is Michigan...and the ONLY reason you can play Michigan is because you get one more OOC game.

DII - DII
Gardner-Webb - Southern Utah
NAU - Albany

Outside of Michigan, your OOC schedule ain't nothing to write home about (based solely on the East Coast opinion of NAU). So, the way I see it, you're pretty much set up for 3 home games in the playoffs as well....doesn't sound like such a bad thing, does it? xrolleyesx

1. I'm a Homer xrolleyesx , but I'm the one looking at the discussion subjectively by taking in to account the whole schedule, including AGS preseason poll results, and past season results as my basis.

2. The only reason we can play Michigan isn't because we have 4 OOC games. ASU signed the Michigan game prior to the NAU and D2 game. In fact if we only had 3 OOC games the D2 game would not have been signed as it was the last game ASU booked.

3. Do you realy want to compare OOC games even without the Michigan game? NAU has always been a quality OOC game and are a much better team than Albany IMO. Also Southern Utah is 2-17 against D1 opponents the last two year (2 D2 wins last year), so I'd say G-Webb is stronger. Congrats Ft. Lewis is tougher than L-R (maybe don't know either team).

4. I'm not blaming Montana for such a weak schedule, I just don't like hearing Montana fans claim that it's tough. They got what they wanted, make money and set themselves up to get 3 home playoff games.

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Nowhere did I ever say Montana's schedule was "tough"....just trying to get you off the kookaid that ASU's is so much tougher. And it's hilarious to hear (NOW) about how tough NAU is....apparently you're the only person East of the Mississippi who feels that way about ANY BSC team NOT named Montana.

That's all.

Dismissed. xthumbsupx xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

putter
June 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Nowhere did I ever say Montana's schedule was "tough"....just trying to get you off the kookaid that ASU's is so much tougher. And it's hilarious to hear (NOW) about how tough NAU is....apparently you're the only person East of the Mississippi who feels that way about ANY BSC team NOT named Montana.

That's all.

Dismissed. xthumbsupx xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Easy AZ, you will get Hen in this discussion.xlolx I too have not heard any Montana fan say our OOC was tough. Heck, I have yet to hear any Montana fan who is happy with our OOC schedule or even say it is remotely difficult. Albany beat UD @ UD last year so I think they will be better than most think. SUU is a western FCS team so I don't whine about playing them. The only game I don't like is Ft. Lewis but then again our Ft. Lewis is Michigan's App St. :p

Tailbone
June 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I didn't want to hi-jack the FCS champ prediction thread so I thought I'd move this discussion.

Original post on the subject:

If I were a Montana fan I wouldn't get into a strength of schedule discussions with many teams. ........

Funny conversation.
You're right though, our schedule is nowhere near as tough as your's......you have to play Michigan AND Montana.
That would be the two toughest games for ANY FCS team.

Two NC's and App fans are still measuring themselves against the Griz.
At season's end the Griz will be undefeated and App will have lost to both UMs on their schedule.

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 03:07 PM
And, Saint, for what it's worth, SUU could go 0-11 this year with their schedule, but with ASU's schedule I think they go 5-6 or 6-5. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

In fact, with a second look, maybe even 7-4.

putter
June 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Personally I think our schedule is the way it is, is because we lose 8 of 11 starters on defense after this year and Hauck wants to get backups a lot of reps....

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Personally I think our schedule is the way it is, is because we lose 8 of 11 starters on defense after this year and Hauck wants to get backups a lot of reps....

Interesting theory......I'll have to ponder that.

Do you REALLY think Hauck thinks that far into the future? Or that the AD does? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

putter
June 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Interesting theory......I'll have to ponder that.

Do you REALLY think Hauck thinks that far into the future? Or that the AD does? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

I think they both sat down to figure out what schedule worked (like they did with Iowa) and it may have come into the equasion. Hauck may not be here but he has to act like he will be.

Saint3333
June 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
And, Saint, for what it's worth, SUU could go 0-11 this year with their schedule, but with ASU's schedule I think they go 5-6 or 6-5. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

In fact, with a second look, maybe even 7-4.

So they'd be 9-2 with Montana's schedule... xsmiley_wix

already123
June 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Funny conversation.
You're right though, our schedule is nowhere near as tough as your's......you have to play Michigan AND Montana.
That would be the two toughest games for ANY FCS team.

Two NC's and App fans are still measuring themselves against the Griz.
At season's end the Griz will be undefeated and App will have lost to both UMs on their schedule.

Hmmm...what about playing Montana, App St., and Arizona...?xrulesx xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
So they'd be 9-2 with Montana's schedule... xsmiley_wix

riiiiiight. xrolleyesx xeyebrowx xmadx :D

Besides, the only reason Montana's SOS is so low is because we don't get to play with ourselves. :o :o :o :o

AppStateold299
June 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I give respect to Montana for having the ability to make the playoffs year after year. Although, your playoff birth is due to the lack of opponents during the regular season. I have to say that Montana cries how strong they are all the time, but don't have the balls to prove it during the season. The only way they test themselves is seeing how much weaker their schedule can be from last year. Bravo on the cream of the crop this year.

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I give respect to Montana for having the ability to make the playoffs year after year. Although, your playoff birth is due to the lack of opponents during the regular season. I have to say that Montana cries how strong they are all the time, but don't have the balls to prove it during the season. The only way they test themselves is seeing how much weaker their schedule can be from last year. Bravo on the cream of the crop this year.

Perhaps you meant playoff "berth"? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Another genius who believes the BSC is overrated. And for what it's worth there, Einstein, prior to this two year NC repeat, ASU's playoff record was a stellar 4-12.

DuckDuckGriz
June 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Wow - love to see the App State fans come out of the woodwork now that you have a title. Obviously you know nothing about Montana or the FCS for that matter. I would probably say that the 2000 loss still hurts - but you probably would have no idea what I'm talking about there either.

@ Iowa (Big Ten)
Cal Poly (at the time ranked 4th in FCS, a team who killed us in playoffs)

@ Oregon (Pac 10, went on to a 10-1 reg season)
Cal Poly (high ranking at the time also)

Maine
@ Sam Houston State (went onto the FCS semifinals)

@ Maine (went to the FCS quarterfinals the year before)
Idaho

@ Hofstra
@ Idaho (spin the Vandals anyway you'd like, at the FCS level they'd be a contender every year)

@ Cal Poly
@ Hawaii (went on to an 11-2 record)
Idaho

Hofstra (ranked 9th at the time)
@ Idaho

Idaho (coming off a bowl win the previous year)

Saint3333
June 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Perhaps you meant playoff "berth"? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Another genius who believes the BSC is overrated. And for what it's worth there, Einstein, prior to this two year NC repeat, ASU's playoff record was a stellar 4-12.

Do some research prior to calling people out? Do you always shoot from the hip during discussions???xreadx

ASU was 8-12 prior to 2005, now 16-12.

These stats don't include the 2006 playoff games.

http://www.diaafootball.com/playoffbyname.html

Duckduck we have two titles, just as many as everyone else not named GSU & YSU. There are plenty of ASU fans that have been around with plenty of 1-AA/FCS knowledge. Yes I remember Jimmy Farris catching that pass over Corey Hall like it was yesterday. We owe you one.

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Do some research prior to calling people out? Do you always shoot from the hip during discussions???xreadx

ASU was 8-12 prior to 2005, now 16-12.

These stats don't include the 2006 playoff games.

http://www.diaafootball.com/playoffbyname.html

Sorry. I was still laughing about the "birth" comment.... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

8-12 is so much better. xeyebrowx

nevadagriz
June 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Name one other year that the Griz had a "weak" schedule? Yes this year is weak but in the past we have played some pretty good competition.
Look at ducks post!
Also do not try to take away from the 14 straight appearances it is impressive no matter who you play!
I have total respect for APPY and right now you guys are king of the hill.
I am however tired of the Montana bashing from some Appy fans!

AppStateold299
June 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Sorry I had a slip of the keyboard and don't always proofread my comments before submitting them. I'm so glad that you have so much knowledge about iaa/fcs. You think being in the playoffs every year since 1993 you would have a few more titles. I'm glad you are the Bufalo Bills or the Atlanta Braves of FCS. Congrats on making it to the playoffs every year. Amazing since we had such a horrible record that you incorrectly posted that we still have as many titles as your wonderful school. It is quite amazing! I would think with such a horrible track record in the playoffs that we would merely exit in the 1st round or something every year. I hope to see you in the playoffs this year if you guys get that far.

putter
June 13th, 2007, 04:18 PM

don't have the balls??? Man, people need to get their heads out of the sand. I guess history to you people is what, one or two years and we still have played quality opponents during that time. All we are guilty of is staying home the last two years.

The Big Sky may not have the playoff pedigree overall but it does have quality teams that play Montana tough every year.

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Sorry I had a slip of the keyboard and don't always proofread my comments before submitting them. I'm so glad that you have so much knowledge about iaa/fcs. You think being in the playoffs every year since 1993 you would have a few more titles. I'm glad you are the Bufalo Bills or the Atlanta Braves of FCS. Congrats on making it to the playoffs every year. Amazing since we had such a horrible record that you incorrectly posted that we still have as many titles as your wonderful school. It is quite amazing! I would think with such a horrible track record in the playoffs that we would merely exit in the 1st round or something every year. I hope to see you in the playoffs this year if you guys get that far.

Alright whippersnapper---let's talk about THAT. Before you go putting your words into my mouth, look at the facts: ASU has 14 playoff appearances since 1986. 6 first round exits and 2 NC's. Montana has 14 playoff appearances in a row and 16 since 1986. 7 first round exits and 2 NC's (with 3 other NC appearances). So, in 21 years, we have a grand total of TWO more playoff appearances. If we're the Buffalo Bills, I guess that would make you the Minnesota *****ing Vikings, huh? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

laxVik
June 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Oh geez. Bicker, bicker, bicker. The handicap kids missed the bus again. :)

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM
You shouldn't talk about your Vikings like that... :D

AppStateold299
June 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Did you not quote that we were a mere 4-12 before our back to back? I'm not putting words in your mouth. Since 90 Montana has been in the playoffs 14 times. 6 first round exits. Since 90 Appalachian has been in the playoffs 11 times. 4 first round exits. What do you know you guys are leading in both cases. Good job.

putter
June 13th, 2007, 05:04 PM
App St fans better watch out, their ego's are going to get bigger than us terrible Montana fans......;)

AppStateold299
June 13th, 2007, 05:38 PM
We are proud of our team, but we don't have nearly the arrogance of the Montana fans.

Tailbone
June 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM
We are proud of our team, but we don't have nearly the arrogance of the Montana fans.

Says you.xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mountain Panther
June 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Is that one of those cross-your-eyes-and-then-uncross-them patterns and you will see a hidden image? Oh wait, I think I see a grizzly mauling a mountaineer.

AZGrizFan
June 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Is that one of those cross-your-eyes-and-then-uncross-them patterns and you will see a hidden image? Oh wait, I think I see a grizzly mauling a mountaineer.

If you look closely you'll see the old bikini thread.

Nothing has changed here. xcoolx

SirApp
June 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM
If you look closely you'll see the old bikini thread.

Nothing has changed here. xcoolx

Wish that were true!

putter
June 13th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Sorry Sir,

We are proud of our program, past and present, just like you.

BigApp
June 13th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Montana is the greatest program ever in the history of Earth.

putter
June 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Montana is the greatest program ever in the history of Earth.

:( :( xconfusedx xsmhx

laxVik
June 13th, 2007, 06:37 PM
You shouldn't talk about your Vikings like that... :DI pulled my post before I thought anyone would notice. xlolx

As a duck fan it reminds me of the Big 10 vs Pac 10 squabbles. And in matters of opinion I guess debate is pointless.

Though the mods should limit the amount of emoticons on one post. xwhistlex

Col Hogan
June 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I pulled my post before I thought anyone would notice. xlolx

As a duck fan it reminds me of the Big 10 vs Pac 10 squabbles. And in matters of opinion I guess debate is pointless.

Though the mods should limit the amount of emoticons on one post. xwhistlex

I'm just sitting here enjoying the show...don't bring the mod squad into it...the locals are doing fine.

AZ, to borrow your line, "Nothing to see here...move along"...

MountainMan
June 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM
How many road playoff games have the Griz played in and what is their record in those games? ASU has played 10, not counting the 2 neutral championship games, and has a record of 3-7. We won at New Hampshire in 1994 before losing at Boise, and then we won at Troy and at Western Ky before losing to the Griz in 2000. I'm asking out of curiosity more than anything, because I can't remember seeing a Montana playoff game in someplace other than Washington/Griz Stadium. Other than JMU in 2004 very few teams have had success on the road.

FCS Go!
June 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM
How many road playoff games have the Griz played in and what is their record in those games? ASU has played 10, not counting the 2 neutral championship games, and has a record of 3-7. We won at New Hampshire in 1994 before losing at Boise, and then we won at Troy and at Western Ky before losing to the Griz in 2000. I'm asking out of curiosity more than anything, because I can't remember seeing a Montana playoff game in someplace other than Washington/Griz Stadium. Other than JMU in 2004 very few teams have had success on the road.

I don't have the stats but Montana almost never wins a playoff game on the road. My "homer" reason for this is that if they have a really good team they play at home. On a down year they have to go on the road. There were a couple of games at McNeese where MT had a chance to win and I know there were some road games that MT did win but their W-L on the road is not the best % in FCS for sure.

FCS Go!
June 13th, 2007, 09:00 PM
My unofficial search:

1982 lost @ Idaho 7-21
1988 lost @ Idaho 19-38
1989 lost @ Ga Southern 15-45
1994 lost @ Youngstown 9-28
1995 won @ Marshall 22-20
1996 lost @ Marshall 29-49
1997 lost @ McNeese 14-19
1998 lost @ W. Illinois 9-52 (ugliest Griz game I've seen)
2002 lost @ McNeese 20-24

Have at it Grizhaters!

WUTNDITWAA
June 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM
My unofficial search:

1982 lost @ Idaho 7-21
1988 lost @ Idaho 19-38

Have at it Grizhaters!

Naah. That's a who's who list right there. Hard enough to beat those teams at home.

SoCon48
June 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
My unofficial search:

1982 lost @ Idaho 7-21
1988 lost @ Idaho 19-38

Have at it Grizhaters!

That pretty much sums it up 1-8! Whew! 49-29 and 52-9!! Geez.
Thanks for your honesty in posting this.

SoCon48
June 13th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Naah. That's a who's who list right there. Hard enough to beat those teams at home.

I believe App has taken both GSU and Marshall a few times.xeyebrowx

T-Dog
June 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM
We own the Blundering Turds in the all time series 10-7 IIRC.

And GSU.....the home team more than not wins. I belive we're one or two games ahead in the all time catergory.

At least you beat the BT's once :thumbs up:

GrizDen
June 14th, 2007, 12:07 AM
That pretty much sums it up 1-8! Whew! 49-29 and 52-9!! Geez.
Thanks for your honesty in posting this.

I can't feel all that bad about the 49-29 loss to Marshall. Mr. Randy Moss had 3 TD's. I spoke with Billy Ivy, the CB who had to guard Moss and he had never covered (or in this case....didn't cover) a better receiver ever. Not to say the Griz would have won back to back titles if Moss hadn't been kicked out of ND and FSU which led him to Marshall, but the Griz wouldn't have lost by 20.

Just to get it off my chest, it still pains me that Eric Kresser (sp) who transferred from Florida that year to Marshall won a NC --- Chad Pennington sat on the bench his Sophmore year after being the starter the year before as a Freshman when Marshall played Montana for the first time in a NC game. Kresser felt "above" I-AA (as it was known then). Pennington shouldn't have had to take a back seat to Kresser.

Tod
June 14th, 2007, 01:15 AM

A few more titles? When there are 16 teams in the hunt, how is winning two in 14 years bad?

Hey, you have two trophies just like we do. Oh, wait. There is a 2nd place trophy in FCS/I-AA. We have three of them. What's your trophy case look like?

grizband
June 14th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I can't feel all that bad about the 49-29 loss to Marshall. Mr. Randy Moss had 3 TD's. I spoke with Billy Ivy, the CB who had to guard Moss and he had never covered (or in this case....didn't cover) a better receiver ever. Not to say the Griz would have won back to back titles if Moss hadn't been kicked out of ND and FSU which led him to Marshall, but the Griz wouldn't have lost by 20.

Just to get it off my chest, it still pains me that Eric Kresser (sp) who transferred from Florida that year to Marshall won a NC --- Chad Pennington sat on the bench his Sophmore year after being the starter the year before as a Freshman when Marshall played Montana for the first time in a NC game. Kresser felt "above" I-AA (as it was known then). Pennington shouldn't have had to take a back seat to Kresser.
Im sure Pennington is happy with how his football career ended out...

SoCon48
June 14th, 2007, 06:43 AM
A few more titles? When there are 16 teams in the hunt, how is winning two in 14 years bad?

Hey, you have two trophies just like we do. Oh, wait. There is a 2nd place trophy in FCS/I-AA. We have three of them. What's your trophy case look like?

Really never bothered looking for loser trophies.xcoffeex

Saint3333
June 14th, 2007, 07:52 AM

If you ain't first you're last.

Ricky Bobby

They don't really give 2nd place trophies do they... this ain't pee wee ball.

DuckDuckGriz
June 14th, 2007, 08:51 AM

I bet you brandish that 2000 semifinal trophy :D

FCS Go!
June 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I see that this thread can't get away from a "App St is more butch than Montana" theme so:

I believe App has taken both GSU and Marshall a few times.xeyebrowx

Wrong! Not on the road, in the playoffs.

App St's Awesome Road Dominance:

1989 lost @Middle TN St 21-24
1991 lost @ E Kentucky 3-14
1992 lost @ Middle TN 10-35
1994 won @ New Hampshire 17-10
1994 lost @ Boise St 14-17
1998 lost @ Northwestern St 20-31
1999 lost @ Florida A&M 29-44
2000 won @ Troy 33-30
2000 won @ W Kentuckey 17-14
2000 lost @ Montana 16-19
2001 lost @ Georgia So 24-38

How many of these teams went on to the championship game? Two.
How many of these teams won the NC? Zero.

Montana's numbers are five and three (two runner ups and three champions). Montana at least has the decency to lose to good teams on the road most of the time. For App I guess you take what you can get or maybe you don't try unless its the NC game.

FCS Go!
June 14th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Come on. Take some pride in your program! Don't insult the efforts of your team just because they didn't win it all. xrolleyesx

MountainMan
June 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I see that this thread can't get away from a "App St is more butch than Montana" theme so:

Wrong! Not on the road, in the playoffs.

App St's Awesome Road Dominance:

1989 lost @Middle TN St 21-24
1991 lost @ E Kentucky 3-14
1992 lost @ Middle TN 10-35
1994 won @ New Hampshire 17-10
1994 lost @ Boise St 14-17
1998 lost @ Northwestern St 20-31
1999 lost @ Florida A&M 29-44
2000 won @ Troy 33-30
2000 won @ W Kentuckey 17-14
2000 lost @ Montana 16-19
2001 lost @ Georgia So 24-38

How many of these teams went on to the championship game? Two.
How many of these teams won the NC? Zero.

Montana's numbers are five and three (two runner ups and three champions). Montana at least has the decency to lose to good teams on the road most of the time. For App I guess you take what you can get or maybe you don't try unless its the NC game.

The 1999 Florida A&M game was actually in Boone. Talk about a high scoring offense... they had 3 WR's go to the NFL off that team.

FCS Go!
June 14th, 2007, 10:19 AM
The 1999 Florida A&M game was actually in Boone. Talk about a high scoring offense... they had 3 WR's go to the NFL off that team.

Whoops. Thanks for the correction.

james_lawfirm
June 14th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I bet you brandish that 2000 semifinal trophy :D

Ouch!

Appaholic
June 14th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Still no comfort to me.....

We had no business losing to a MEAC team in Boone. I know we were playing NC A&T on regular basis from the MEAC in late 80's/90's and were mopping the floor with them. But, it was cool to watch their half time shows....both A&T and A&M....woorth the price of the ticket....

SoCon48
June 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Come on. Take some pride in your program! Don't insult the efforts of your team just because they didn't win it all. xrolleyesx

Yep. I do take pride in it, that's why I don't go around looking for almost wons. We have high standards.

FCS Go!
June 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Yep. I do take pride in it, that's why I don't go around looking for almost wons. We have high standards.

So I guess App St sucked before 2005?

already123
June 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM
good question...xrolleyesx

AppStateold299
June 14th, 2007, 07:02 PM

No AppState didn't suck before 2005, but we did have a bunch of almost NC's. We were getting restless and wondering when we woudl finally break through to win the big game. Now that we have won the game we expect excellence every year. We have the talent and the coaching to achieve a NC and only need the luck and game day play to get there AGAIN!

twentythreeOh4
June 14th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Whatever you're smoking better not give it up. You don't WANT to see what reality looks like.

Tod
June 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM

So, you're saying you've never bragged about an Olympic silver medalist from ASU?

SoCon48
June 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Whatever you're smoking better not give it up. You don't WANT to see what reality looks like.

Let's say the years Montana was contending or winning the NC. According to them, ASU was just a little pissant school back in the sticks who couldn't get into a championship game.
My, things have changed.

SoCon48
June 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM
So, you're saying you've never bragged about an Olympic silver medalist from ASU?
Hell, that's the Olympics. The freaking world, not 2nd out of 16 teams.

SoCon48
June 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM
No AppState didn't suck before 2005, but we did have a bunch of almost NC's. We were getting restless and wondering when we woudl finally break through to win the big game. Now that we have won the game we expect excellence every year. We have the talent and the coaching to achieve a NC and only need the luck and game day play to get there AGAIN!

Well stated. And after the grief we caught, we deserve a little crowing time.
Everybody else sure did. I was starting to think Del, GSU, and Montana were gods.

SoCon48
June 14th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Pretty much.xconfusedx
But no more!!!xlolx

FCS Go!
June 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Let's say the years Montana was contending or winning the NC. According to them, ASU was just a little pissant school back in the sticks who couldn't get into a championship game.
My, things have changed.

What them are you referring too? I don't recall anyone saying that about ASU. Maybe some GSU folks back in the day? Some local ACC fans in Boone maybe? Sounds like you've got some issues and can't help but thump your chest now that you feel you have something to brag about. ASU was a top-notch program before 2005. Get some perspective.

Tod
June 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Hell, that's the Olympics. The freaking world, not 2nd out of 16 teams.

Out of about 120 teams, you obviously meant. xrolleyesx

Appstate29
June 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM
This is so f-cking dumb. Do the Ads know they could have done a home and home with a billion dollar buyout, and then charged 500 bucks a ticket?? We'd both make BANK on our games, and ASU fans would have a lot to brag about :D

Tod
June 14th, 2007, 11:24 PM
This is so f-cking dumb. Do the Ads know they could have done a home and home with a billion dollar buyout, and then charged 500 bucks a ticket?? We'd both make BANK on our games, and ASU fans would have a lot to brag about :D

I agree totally! Seeing Glacier National Park is certainly something to brag about (and hopefully something the team would have done). :D

boonegoon
June 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM
What's with the chest pumping guys?? Whats next, my dad can beat up your dad?

SoCon48
June 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM
What them are you referring too? I don't recall anyone saying that about ASU. Maybe some GSU folks back in the day? Some local ACC fans in Boone maybe? Sounds like you've got some issues and can't help but thump your chest now that you feel you have something to brag about. ASU was a top-notch program before 2005. Get some perspective.

Duh, with your 10 posts, I imagine you weren't around this board pre-ASU championship era to recall the numerous threads demeaning App's lack of even sniffing the championship games and bowing out early so many times as well as saying they didn't deserve to get in over Wofford, etc..

I have years of perspective. Evidently you don't.xcoffeex

SoCon48
June 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Out of about 120 teams, you obviously meant. xrolleyesx

Thank you. Compared to 120 countries. xlolx xlolx

60 5-6 or worse teams aren't included. And last I heard only 16 teams were invited.
xreadx

AppStateold299
June 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Duh, with your 10 posts, I imagine you weren't around this board pre-ASU championship era to recall the numerous threads demeaning App's lack of even sniffing the championship games and bowing out early so many times as well as saying they didn't deserve to get in over Wofford, etc..

I'm glad to those of you that heard of this site a long time ago, but some don't get turned onto this site until later in life. Also some have other things to do. Don't bust on someone for the mere fact that they don't waste hours a day like some people on here. The fact that he is here now and supports his team is enough. And yes I do agree with you don't have the knowledge or just don't care as much about all the history as some of you on here.

We were a dominant force before the championships despite the fact of not winning the big one. Now we are justified in or as you put it chest thumping. IT IS GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!

FCS Go!
June 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Point granted. Sounds like the same kind of talk Montana gets year after year.

SoCon48
June 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I'm glad to those of you that heard of this site a long time ago, but some don't get turned onto this site until later in life. Also some have other things to do. Don't bust on someone for the mere fact that they don't waste hours a day like some people on here. The fact that he is here now and supports his team is enough. And yes I do agree with you don't have the knowledge or just don't care as much about all the history as some of you on here.

We were a dominant force before the championships despite the fact of not winning the big one. Now we are justified in or as you put it chest thumping. IT IS GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!

Now we are justified in or as you put it chest thumping.

1. I didn't mention chest thumping.
2. The point of 10 posts was that the guy must not have been around 3 and 4 years ago when Dels, GSU's and Monts gave us hell when he said he didn't recall that.
Simple as that.

SoCon48
June 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Point granted. Sounds like the same kind of talk Montana gets year after year.

But still you had em when we didn't.xthumbsupx