PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Ivy Players of All-Time (FCS Era)

NY Crusader 2010
April 5th, 2020, 10:08 AM
Since the PL has basically been done already in the FCS thread figured I'd try and spitball a few Ivy League names that are notable. In no exact order, I'll let the experts break down the rankings:

Jay Fiedler QB Dartmouth
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB Harvard
Zac DeOssie LB/LS Brown
Tom Gilmore DL Penn
Brandon Copeland LB Penn
Kyle Juczcyk FB Harvard
Cameron Brate TE Harvard
Greg Van Roten OL Penn
Clifton Dawson RB Harvard
Mike McLeod RB Yale
Kurt Rawlings QB Yale

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 5th, 2020, 12:00 PM
Matt Birk has to be on that list; 2x All-Pro 6x Pro-Bowler....

NY Crusader 2010
April 5th, 2020, 08:20 PM
Matt Birk has to be on that list; 2x All-Pro 6x Pro-Bowler....

Didn't know about Birk. But looking at his resume, certainly what looks to be a top 5 guy. So I'll take a crack at my 1983-present Ivy top 5:

1) Fitzpatrick
2) Birk
3) Fiedler
4) DeOssie
5) Van Roten

bonarae
April 5th, 2020, 09:49 PM
I posted my list on the Ivy Voy board yesterday to start a similar thread that only covers two most recent decades (for my view):

https://www.voy.com/152805/190859.html

Go Green
April 6th, 2020, 01:54 PM
1) Fitzpatrick

As great as he was, he was only a full-time starter for two years at Harvard.

Sader87
April 6th, 2020, 02:49 PM
Marcellus Wiey Columbia should be in the mix imo

Ivytalk
April 6th, 2020, 08:40 PM
Gotta add Princeton’s John Lovett.

Gangtackle11
April 7th, 2020, 06:28 AM
Keith Elias RB Princeton

Go Green
April 7th, 2020, 10:04 AM
Keith Elias RB Princeton

I fully respect Elias' ability as a player and won't quarrel with your opinion here.

That said, he clearly belongs on the FCS all-time biggest mouths' list. Look at some of the **** he said:

http://www.princetontigersfootball.com/2017/07/the-greatest-talent-of-the-skilled-1992-tigers-might-have-been-an-ability-to-work/

https://vault.si.com/vault/1993/11/15/penn-and-needles-their-academics-belittled-the-quakers-came-up-big-against-princeton-in-the-ivy-leagues-showcase-game

And yeah- he lost both those games.

Ivytalk
April 7th, 2020, 04:38 PM
I fully respect Elias' ability as a player and won't quarrel with your opinion here.

That said, he clearly belongs on the FCS all-time biggest mouths' list. Look at some of the **** he said:

http://www.princetontigersfootball.com/2017/07/the-greatest-talent-of-the-skilled-1992-tigers-might-have-been-an-ability-to-work/

https://vault.si.com/vault/1993/11/15/penn-and-needles-their-academics-belittled-the-quakers-came-up-big-against-princeton-in-the-ivy-leagues-showcase-game

And yeah- he lost both those games.
Harvard’s wideout Pat McInally was also known for the quick quip, although it may not have cost Harvard any games. Harvard lost to Yale 35-0 in the 1973 version of The Game that cost us a share of the Ivy title. Yale’s stud DB Elvin Charity kept Pat in check that day. Before the 1974 Game, a reporter asked McInally how Harvard would do. Pat replied, “No Charity!” Harvard won a thriller, 21-16, with McInally throwing a long option pass to Jim Curry that set up a score, and catching another TD pass.

NY Crusader 2010
April 8th, 2020, 10:14 AM

True but I don't recall many recent Ivy QB's who have started 3+ years. And Fitzpatrick led the '04 team to an undefeated season. Harvard finished season ranked #2 by Sagarin behind JMU.

bulldog10jw
April 8th, 2020, 12:21 PM
True but I don't recall many recent Ivy QB's who have started 3+ years.

Rawlings

bulldog10jw
April 8th, 2020, 12:26 PM

Maybe the QB who started ahead of him the other two years was also a great QB

Go Green
April 8th, 2020, 12:41 PM
Maybe the QB who started ahead of him the other two years was also a great QB

It was Neil Rose. And he was certainly a fine QB in his own right. But he won't be making anyone's all-time list.

Go Green
April 8th, 2020, 12:44 PM
True but I don't recall many recent Ivy QB's who have started 3+ years. And Fitzpatrick led the '04 team to an undefeated season. Harvard finished season ranked #2 by Sagarin behind JMU.

There have been a few. Among others, Princeton's John Lovett, who was two-time All American, two-time Ivy MVP, three time All Ivy, and also led his team to an undefeated season.

Again, no one is going to knock you for picking Fitzpatrick. He had an elite college career. If you want to also include post-collegiate careers, then yeah- he probably is the best among Ivy FCS QBs.

bulldog10jw
April 8th, 2020, 01:09 PM
It was Neil Rose. And he was certainly a fine QB in his own right. But he won't be making anyone's all-time list.

Harvard was undefeated in 2001 as well. Was Rose the QB?

Go Green
April 8th, 2020, 01:26 PM
Harvard was undefeated in 2001 as well. Was Rose the QB?

He was indeed.

But I think most would attribute Harvard's success that season to Ivy MVP Carl Morris.

bulldog10jw
April 8th, 2020, 01:42 PM
He was indeed.

But I think most would attribute Harvard's success that season to Ivy MVP Carl Morris.

Fitzpatrick had Dawson. No one does it alone.