PDA

View Full Version : The U. in FCS College Football

Baron Sardonicus
April 2nd, 2020, 03:46 PM
By CRAIG HALEY

Stats Perform FCS Senior Editor
Link (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200402121326669973504&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS) (note says "Updated April 2, 2020")

(Stats Perform) - Sports Illustrated recently published a story that analyzed data from the 2010s to identify which FBS programs can brand themselves as the modern "U" at different positions.
We've crunched a decade's worth of numbers with FCS programs and found similar results.
FCS dynasty North Dakota State is the U. at three of eight positions with five other schools earning one distinction each. That's what SI found with FBS power Alabama being the U. at three positions and five other schools claiming one position title each.

"U" want it, "U" got it:

----------------------

Tight End U.: Drake

No, don't be surprised by Drake. There were 24 FCS tight ends with 100 or more receptions in the 2010s and four starred at the Pioneer Football League school - twice as many as any other FCS program. Consistent production has been the staple with Drake tight ends. Eric Saubert was the Bulldogs' first NFL Draft pick in 24 years in 2017 and leads the group that also boasts Devin Cates, Kevin Marshall and Michael Hudson.

I'm certainly not surprised that Drake was mentioned here.

Going back further than a decade, he could have noted I-AA All-American Pat Dunsmore from Drake's days in scholarship football. And guess what position his (Northwestern alum) son plays for the Bucs...

Also notable is Brendan Daly, a former Drake tight end in the Pioneer league, who later coached the position at three different FCS schools. He is no longer a TE coach, but he's still good at what he does. He just picked up his fourth Super Bowl ring.

Baron Sardonicus
April 2nd, 2020, 03:58 PM
Cates is a serious prospect. Possibly better than Saubert.