PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 FCS players all time

Schism55
March 28th, 2020, 06:47 PM
There is a cool thread with lots of steam on Twitter to list your top 5 all time college players. The replies to it are incredibly varied so I thought it'd be cool to do an FCS list here. Feel free to include smaller school players as well, I know there will be at least 1 D2 player on mine. Please include school for each player. Will post my list shortly.
Go!

JSUSoutherner
March 28th, 2020, 07:35 PM
Walter Payton
Jerry Rice
Terrell Owens
Charles Haley
Adam Vinatieri

But really picking just 5 is difficult.

Chalupa Batman
March 28th, 2020, 08:10 PM
Walter Payton
Jerry Rice
Terrell Owens
Charles Haley
Adam Vinatieri

But really picking just 5 is difficult.

SDSU wasn’t FCS when Vinateiri was there.

Edit: just saw the OP said include smaller school players as well. Never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
March 28th, 2020, 08:35 PM
Walter Payton
Randy Moss
Jerry Rice
Steve McNair
Dave Meggett

FUBeAR
March 28th, 2020, 08:35 PM
Stanford Jennings
Louis Ivory
Ingle Martin
Tracy Ham
Adrian Peterson

...perhaps, FUBeAR is a wee bit biased

Professor Chaos
March 28th, 2020, 08:37 PM
Steve McNair and (the other) Adrian Peterson for sure.

ST_Lawson
March 28th, 2020, 09:54 PM
Are we talking about the best players when they were in the FCS, or including NFL careers? Most of the really big names I know more about their NFL careers than I do about their college careers. Guys like Richard Dent (Tennessee State), Ken Houston (Prairie View A&M), or Kurt Warner (Northern Iowa)...in addition to the obvious previously mentioned guys.

Just as an example though, if I remember correctly, Warner wasn't even the best QB in UNI history (probably Ryan Helming or Eric Sanders on that front). But Warner is by far the biggest name out of those guys due to his success in the NFL.

citdog
March 29th, 2020, 01:08 AM
1. Randy Moss
2. Tracy Ham
3. Stump Mitchell
4. Armanti Edwards
5. Jack Douglas

Gangtackle11
March 29th, 2020, 06:18 AM
Brian Westbrook Villanova

WeAreThePride
March 29th, 2020, 08:29 AM
Pure greatness at the FCS level, Easton Stick has to be on the list.

100%GRIZ
March 29th, 2020, 09:19 AM
1. Jerry Rice
2. Sweetness
3. Randy Moss
4. Armanti Edwards
5. Dave Dickenson
5. Jan Stenerud
5. Tony Romo
5. Matt Szczur

semobison
March 29th, 2020, 09:57 AM
Dexter Coakley! Should be on any serious FCS greatest player list.

Sader87
March 29th, 2020, 10:10 AM
Gordie Lockbaum was a Top 5 Heisman vote getter twice lest we forget xdrunkyx

Redbird 4th & short
March 29th, 2020, 12:19 PM
great idea for thread, but looking at these names so far, doing a top 5 is way too hard .. and were just 2 pages in.

And agree, need to remove anything that is more NFL based, than FCS based .. though suppose somebody played on an average team in a great conference, and wasn't quite able to fully prove himself at FCS level, then clearly proved himself at NFL level .. that seems fair to consider NFL experience .. splitting hairs there, but I think a valid approach.

Schism55
March 29th, 2020, 01:05 PM
No particular order...

Cooper Kupp
Randy Moss
Gordie Lockbaum
Easton Stick
Need one defensive guy.. Phil Hansen- Absolutely dominant, best player on 2 ludicrously loaded Bison title teams.

100%GRIZ
March 29th, 2020, 01:39 PM
No particular order...

Cooper Kupp
Randy Moss
Gordie Lockbaum
Easton Stick
Need one defensive guy.. Phil Hansen- Absolutely dominant, best player on 2 ludicrously loaded Bison title teams.
Yea I definitely missed Cooper Kupp, & I had to put up with him for 4 long years but he is still in his infancy in the NFL!

Fordham
March 29th, 2020, 01:44 PM
Awesome thread. I'm going to give a shot at adding our conference's top 5 as well. Doing this off the top of my head and very heavily influenced on the all-time list by those who posted already but fire away .... (and, yes, I know there are 6 there - just want to make sure I over-delivered).

FCS
Steve McNair
Adrian Peterson
Walter Payton
Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Brian Westbrook

Patriot League
Gordie Lockbaum
Frank Baur
Chase Edmonds
Rabih Abdullah? (maybe a Lehigh QB instead?)
Julien Davenport
Jamaal Branch

wapiti
March 29th, 2020, 01:58 PM
1. Jerry Rice
2. Sweetness
3. Randy Moss
4. Armanti Edwards
5. Dave Dickenson
5. Jan Stenerud
5. Tony Romo
5. Matt Szczur

Dave was good, but he is not even close to a top 5 good. He would not even been in the top 5 FCS QB's of all time.
Your bias is affecting that choice way too much.

MR. CHICKEN
March 29th, 2020, 02:00 PM
No particular order...

Cooper Kupp
Randy Moss
Gordie Lockbaum
Easton Stick

NOT CLAIMIN' TOP 5................JES' REAL GOOD GUYS.........SO TAKE COMPLAINTS....TA MANAGEMENT.........AWK!

CHRIS GOCONG DE.................CAL-POLY
JORDAN BECK LB....................CAL-POLY
CHARLES HALEY LB.................JMU
JOHN TAYLOR WR....................DELAWARE STATE
WAYNE CHREBET WR...............HOFSTRA
DAVID BALL WR......................NEW HAMPSHIRE
MARQUES COLSTON WR...........HOFSTRA
VICTOR CRUZ WR....................UMASS (I-AA BACK THEN)

frozennorth
March 30th, 2020, 04:03 PM
Steve McNair
Jerry Rice
Walter Payton
Armanti Edwards
Gordie Lockbaum

- - - Updated - - -

Dave was good, but he is not even close to a top 5 good. He would not even been in the top 5 FCS QB's of all time.
He woudn't even be a top 5 QB at some FCS programs

NY Crusader 2010
March 30th, 2020, 04:11 PM
No one mentioned Carson Wentz?

How many other FCS players were drafted 1st overall? Anyone?

And he won at least one championship as a starter for the Bison.

Lockbaum definitely belongs in any Top 10 list containing the likes of Adrian Peterson, Easton Stick or Matt Sczcur. He was invited to this thing called the HEISMAN CEREMONY. Kind of a big deal.

frozennorth
March 30th, 2020, 04:17 PM
No one mentioned Carson Wentz?

How many other FCS players were drafted 1st overall? Anyone?

And he won at least one championship as a starter for the Bison.

Lockbaum definitely belongs in any Top 10 list containing the likes of Adrian Peterson, Easton Stick or Matt Sczcur. He was invited to this thing called the HEISMAN CEREMONY. Kind of a big deal.
Carson is maybe a top 5 QB, if we are only talking NDSU QB's.

clenz
March 30th, 2020, 04:18 PM
Wentz was drafted as much because of his size/potential than anything he did at NDSU

He missed over 50% of his senior season, a freshman named Easton Stick stepped and and guess how many games he lost?

The last QB to start a game for NDSU that didn't win a national title was in September 18, 2010

That QB lost his job that day to Brock Jensen - who would go on to set the FCS record for wins by a QB, only to be passed by Easton Stick, who will be passed by Trey Lance.

Honestly, in terms of QB's NDSU has started since Sept 18, 2010, Wentz is probably the worst of them. The others just didn't have the body of Wentz to get drafted (also he wasn't #1 overall)

Brock was probably the smartest QB in the FCS in many many years. He won games (Because of the team around him) but largely because of his mental game. I know Carson NFL qb and all that, I'd still guess Brock was better at the mental side of it. He's just, far and away, the least athletic of all of them.

Easton was just a play maker. He wasn't as physically gifted at throwing the ball as Carson, but he made smarter on field decisions in the moment.

Trey is the smallest, but probably going to be the best "college" QB there is. He's a smaller/slightly quicker version of Easton.

Carson was the biggest. The best "body". The best combination of "body and mind". He was probably the "worst" QB at NDSU of those. You can see the things against him at NDSU on display in the NFL. He doesn't make great decisions on when/where to throw the ball. He doesn't make great decisions when running. He just has all the physical tools that NFL teams wanted.

Schism55
March 30th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Clenz said it perfectly, Carson just didn't play enough to make this list.
Now if you want to discuss best NFL players careers from FCS schools, that's a whole different ball of wax xthumbsupx

POD Knows
March 30th, 2020, 04:34 PM
Wentz was drafted as much because of his size/potential than anything he did at NDSU

He missed over 50% of his senior season, a freshman named Easton Stick stepped and and guess how many games he lost?

The last QB to start a game for NDSU that didn't win a national title was in September 18, 2010

That QB lost his job that day to Brock Jensen - who would go on to set the FCS record for wins by a QB, only to be passed by Easton Stick, who will be passed by Trey Lance.

Honestly, in terms of QB's NDSU has started since Sept 18, 2010, Wentz is probably the worst of them. The others just didn't have the body of Wentz to get drafted (also he wasn't #1 overall)

Brock was probably the smartest QB in the FCS in many many years. He won games (Because of the team around him) but largely because of his mental game. I know Carson NFL qb and all that, I'd still guess Brock was better at the mental side of it. He's just, far and away, the least athletic of all of them.

Easton was just a play maker. He wasn't as physically gifted at throwing the ball as Carson, but he made smarter on field decisions in the moment.

Trey is the smallest, but probably going to be the best "college" QB there is. He's a smaller/slightly quicker version of Easton.

Carson was the biggest. The best "body". The best combination of "body and mind". He was probably the "worst" QB at NDSU of those. You can see the things against him at NDSU on display in the NFL. He doesn't make great decisions on when/where to throw the ball. He doesn't make great decisions when running. He just has all the physical tools that NFL teams wanted.
Trey Lance is bigger than Stick, he is about an inch taller and by the time he leaves, he will probably weigh more as well, the Bison have Lance at 6' 3" 225. I think they had Stick at 6' 2" and that was a stretch.

clenz
March 30th, 2020, 04:37 PM
Trey Lance is bigger than Stick, he is about an inch taller and by the time he leaves, he will probably weigh more as well, the Bison have Lance at 6' 3" 225. I think they had Stick at 6' 2" and that was a stretch.
I honestly didn't realize Lance was that big. I thought he was a bit smaller for some reason.

WeAreThePride
March 30th, 2020, 04:59 PM
I honestly didn't realize Lance was that big. I thought he was a bit smaller for some reason.
He's deceptively big. He's proportioned like he's 5" 11" and 195, but when you see him next to his teammates, you realize he's actually 6' 3" and 230 at least.

clenz
March 30th, 2020, 05:00 PM
He's deceptively big. He's proportioned like he's 5" 11" and 195, but when you see him next to his teammates, you realize he's actually 6' 3" and 230 at least.And I would have guessed him at 6 it 6'1 215 or so

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 30th, 2020, 05:41 PM

I've stood really close to ES and no way is he 6-2. TL seems bigger than 6-3. When he fills out I bet he'll be close to 235 or 240 when he is done at NDSU.

JALMOND
March 30th, 2020, 05:55 PM
Need one defensive guy..

Jared Allen, Idaho State.

WeAreThePride
March 30th, 2020, 06:21 PM
I've stood really close to ES and no way is he 6-2. TL seems bigger than 6-3. When he fills out I bet he'll be close to 235 or 240 when he is done at NDSU.
I think we need to be careful bulking Lance up just for the hell of it. He's big enough, and we need him to stay fast.

NY Crusader 2010
March 30th, 2020, 06:59 PM
Jared Allen, Idaho State.

If we're going by what happened on the field, Darren Sharper would be a notable defensive player to speak of. Unfortunately, he's now in the same boat as Bill Cosby. Sad.

Bisonoline
March 30th, 2020, 07:01 PM
Now if you want to discuss best NFL players careers from FCS schools, that's a whole different ball of wax xthumbsupx

Absolutely correct. I will also say CW wasnt my fav QB. That would have to go to Brock. Steve Walker was also a great QB that led us through the transition years.

that guy
March 30th, 2020, 07:01 PM
Glad I didn't have to throw up a bit as I haven't seen Briscoe's name on here.

citdog
March 30th, 2020, 07:15 PM
Everette Sands deserves consideration. He played what is now called B-Back in the Triple Option. He was never tackled for a loss once in his 3 years as a starter. Think about that for a second.

NY Crusader 2010
March 30th, 2020, 07:30 PM

Looking into it, it appears Carson's NDSU career was a pre-cursor to his NFL career from an injury standpoint. Flashes of greatness but just couldn't stay healthy.

For every TD Wentz threw in college, Stick threw 2.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 30th, 2020, 08:14 PM
Steve McNair
Randy Moss
Adrian Peterson
Gordi Lockbaum
Jared Allen - Argument can be made he's the best defensive played in FCS/1-AA history....

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 30th, 2020, 08:17 PM
Awesome thread. I'm going to give a shot at adding our conference's top 5 as well. Doing this off the top of my head and very heavily influenced on the all-time list by those who posted already but fire away .... (and, yes, I know there are 6 there - just want to make sure I over-delivered).

FCS
Steve McNair
Adrian Peterson
Walter Payton
Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Brian Westbrook

Patriot League
Gordie Lockbaum
Frank Baur
Chase Edmonds
Rabih Abdullah? (maybe a Lehigh QB instead?)
Julien Davenport
Jamaal Branch

PL
Gordi Lockbaum
Ryan Vena
Chase Edmonds
Phil Stambaugh
Jamaal Branch
Andrew Hollingsworth
Erik Marsh
Adam Lord
Rich Lemon

favorite football fan
March 31st, 2020, 10:38 AM
Novel Covid, who wore the unusual number of 19, was so feared that teams simply did not want to play against him; he was so great that the NCAA cancelled their entire season. He was unusual in that he played on both sides of the ball and special teams. He would cause headaches to opponents, shortness of breath among fans, and simply make you sick because of his special talents. Coaches could not design schemes to stop him. In fact, he was a one-man wrecking ball. He was so good that professional teams did not want him saying "his behavior is not aligned with our core values." However, insiders insist that "look, this guy was going to cost us a lot of money and we simply could not take the chance."

favorite football fan
March 31st, 2020, 10:45 AM
Novel Covid, who wore the unusual number of 19, was so feared that teams simply did not want to play against him; he was so great that the NCAA cancelled their entire season. He was unusual in that he played on both sides of the ball and special teams. He would cause headaches to opponents, shortness of breath among fans, and simply make you sick because of his special talents. Coaches could not design schemes to stop him. In fact, he was a one-man wrecking ball. He was so good that professional teams did not want him saying "his behavior is not aligned with our core values." However, insiders insist that "look, this guy was going to cost us a lot of money and we simply could not take the chance."

I might add that he was from Wuhan, China. Several sports writers who are of the politically correct stature, claimed that the reason he did not play professionally was due to the NFL's underlying racism and xenophobia. Some insiders, who wish to remain anonymous, suggested that team nutritionists would not work with him based on his diet of eating exotic bats and snakes. However, data from this is still controversial at this time. Several owners did not like his ties to the Chinese Communist government.

FormerPokeCenter
March 31st, 2020, 10:53 AM
He does have a rather virulent following, though....people can't seem to go more than a few minutes without checking the news and social media to catch a glimpse of his latest updates!

He's seemingly everywhere and he's expanding beyond sports. He's disrupting music and entertainment as well...

favorite football fan
March 31st, 2020, 11:27 AM
Yes, in the modern era since 1960 where most of the names mentioned on this board are being generated from.

But the greatest of all time is Bubo La Pest (the Pestilence) who played in Europe before the introduction of football in this country. He played the position of "rat back."

ASU33
March 31st, 2020, 12:53 PM
Steve McNair
Adrian Peterson
Jerry Rice
Walter Payton
Jared Allen

Sader87
March 31st, 2020, 01:57 PM
PL
Gordi Lockbaum
Ryan Vena
Chase Edmonds
Phil Stambaugh
Jamaal Branch
Andrew Hollingsworth
Erik Marsh
Adam Lord
Rich Lemon

HC QB Tom Ciaccio starter from '89-'91 should be in the PL discussion imo...30-2-1 as a starter (the 2 losses were to Army) and put up very good numbahs

WestCoastAggie
March 31st, 2020, 02:25 PM
Kurt Warner
Tarik Cohen
Steve McNair
Jerry Rice
Tony Romo

BigGrizz
March 31st, 2020, 05:39 PM
Top 4 are the easiest. #5 could be a handfull of different players.

Steve McNair
Adrian Peterson
Jerry Rice
Walter Payton
Armanti Edwards

BigGrizz
March 31st, 2020, 05:41 PM
And Dave Dickinson is easily in the top 5 QB's of all time!

grizband
April 1st, 2020, 02:28 AM
Steve McNair
Jerry Rice
Walter Payton
Armanti Edwards
Gordie Lockbaum

- - - Updated - - -

He woudn't even be a top 5 QB at some FCS programs
Which programs would Dave Dickensen not be in the top 5? Not trying to sound biased, I'm honestly curious here.

FormerPokeCenter
April 1st, 2020, 07:37 AM
I'd add Neil Lomax, of Portland State, Joe Delaney of Northwestern, Gary Reasons of Northwestern, Mark Duper of Northwestern, Darrel Green, Gene Upshaw and Johnny Bailey of Texas A&I for consideration.

Lomax rewrote the entire NCAA passing record book while at Portland State and then had a 15 year career with the Cardinals. Joe Delaney was simply amazing at running back for Northwestern, he was the AFC rookie of the Year in 1981. The only reason you didn't hear more about him was because he drowned in the spring of 1983, trying to save some kids who couldn't swim. Neither could Joe, but that didn't stop him from saving one, getting another out and he drowned going back in for the third one.

Delaney was from Haughton, La., the same HS and impoverished community that produced Dak Prescott. Not many HS's can boast two NFL Rookies of the Year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-JYdHaSHQ0

Gary Reasons is in the College Football Hall of Fame and was the first person to be named to the I-AA All America Team THREE TIMES for his play at linebacker. He had a helluva career with the Giants. You may remember him from "The Hit" that broke Joe Theisman's leg. LT takes the rap for that, but if you watch the video, which I ****ing CAN'T, because I it causes my knee to hurt, LOL, you'll see that it's actually Reasons who does Theisman in.

Duper was terrific at WR and he and Delaney teamed up on Northwestern's 4x100 meter relay team that shocked with world with a win at the NCAA Championships. They beat Tennesee with Willie Gault and Jeff Phillips, they beat Georgia with Herschel Walker and Mel Lattany, and they beat Houston, with Carl Lewis running anchor. Duper held him off, but ****ing Delaney ran the fastest relay leg I've ever seen and blew past Phillips who was a 10.00 meter dash guy. Delany was a 10.26 out of the blocks, but with a flying start on a relay? Fastest ****ing guy in the world...Duper held off Lewis on the anchor and Duper's career catching passes for Dan Marino in Miami needs no clarifcation.

Darrell Green had a helluva career at A&I on the field and the oval, turning in a 10.08 in Abilene, which was more than likely wind-aided. He would later go on to win a string of NFL"s fastest man competitions in the 80's.

Gene Upshaw was a guard for A&I, winning multiple All-American awards and had a 20 year NFL career with the Raiders, before becoming the President of the NFL Players Union. Johnny Bailey was the first and only 3 time winner of the Div II's Harlon Hill Trophy and had a career with Chicago. He succumbed to Pancreatic cancer in 2010.

You could probably throw Bruce Collie into the mix, too....he was a multiple year All-Ameican OT at University of Texas Arlington, who's since dropped football. At 6'4, 328 and mobile (This was ****ing gargantuan for the early 80's. At the time, he was the largest human I'd ever seen face to face. He was a force on the O line. He had a long and distinguished career with the 49ers blocking for Joe Montana and Marcus Allen.

PaladinFan
April 1st, 2020, 09:03 AM
Armanti Edwards probably gets overlooked on these types of lists, but he was a freak. I'd argue that outside of Adrian Peterson, Edwards would have been the best player on any team in the FCS for about a 15 year period.

Over 10,000 yards passing, 4,300 yards rushing, 139 touchdowns, all with a 65% completion percentage. Insane.

clenz
April 1st, 2020, 09:08 AM
Armanti Edwards probably gets overlooked on these types of lists, but he was a freak. I'd argue that outside of Adrian Peterson, Edwards would have been the best player on any team in the FCS for about a 15 year period.

Over 10,000 yards passing, 4,300 yards rushing, 139 touchdowns, all with a 65% completion percentage. Insane.
But...not smart enough to use a lawn mower safely.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 1st, 2020, 09:47 AM
HC QB Tom Ciaccio starter from '89-'91 should be in the PL discussion imo...30-2-1 as a starter (the 2 losses were to Army) and put up very good numbahs

Definitely considered Ciaccio and Randolph. However, I think QB wise it's always come down to Vena and Stambaugh in terms of talent, team success and post college play (Stambaugh NFL Europe/Vena Arena League). They dueled for 4 years in the closest thing this league has seen to a Brady/Manning QB battle.

The one position that's tough is WR imo. Lehigh has had a bunch of All-American level players at that position but I'm not sure if one TRULY stands out to the masses. IMO, Spadola was the most dominant WR I've seen in the PL. Pelletier might have had the best hands but I don't think he could change the game like Spadola. Jarvis Dudley and Phil Yarberough also come to mind.

Professor
April 1st, 2020, 02:24 PM
Steve McNair
Jerry Rice
Walter Payton
Armanti Edwards
Jared Allen

MEAC FCS Top 5 All Time

Harry Carson
Larry Little
Tarik Cohen
Bob Hayes
Robert (https://meacsports.com/hof.aspx?hof=139) Porcher, (https://meacsports.com/hof.aspx?hof=139)

cx500d
April 1st, 2020, 05:24 PM
Jim Hart from southern illinois should be on this list? His passing yards surpass Kurt Warner, 4 pro bowls....Despite being in an age when the pass was less prevalent.

ElCid
April 1st, 2020, 07:57 PM
1. Randy Moss
2. Tracy Ham
3. Stump Mitchell
4. Armanti Edwards
5. Jack Douglas

While I like your enthusiasm, Stump Graduated in 1981. At which time we, along with the entire SOCON, were still IA.

ejjones
April 1st, 2020, 08:44 PM
SC State (no particular order)...would stack these against anyone.

Harry Carson
Donnie Shell
Deacon Jones
Barney Chavous
John Gilliam
Robert Porcher
Chuck Darby
Barney Bussey
Javon Hargrave
Darius Leonard
Dwayne Harper
Charlie Brown
Edwin Bailey
Anthony Cook
Marion Motley

Schism55
April 1st, 2020, 08:50 PM
But...not smart enough to use a lawn mower safely.
Too soon? :D

NY Crusader 2010
April 2nd, 2020, 09:08 AM

Totally agree on Edwards. Not only does he have the stats throw in the fact that he led App State to victory in the most notable upset in the history of college football. Oh and he won two national championships. Probably should've won four.

Speaking of Adrian Peterson, I didn't realize how long he lasted in the NFL. He wound up as mainly a special teams guy but carved out a nice 9-year career with the Chicago Bears.

Redbird 4th & short
April 2nd, 2020, 11:41 AM
Totally agree on Edwards. Not only does he have the stats throw in the fact that he led App State to victory in the most notable upset in the history of college football. Oh and he won two national championships. Probably should've won four.

Speaking of Adrian Peterson, I didn't realize how long he lasted in the NFL. He wound up as mainly a special teams guy but carved out a nice 9-year career with the Chicago Bears.

Not easy to play RB in Chicago under the shadows of Sayers, Payton, Matt Forte, Neil Anderson, etc .. but he was a popular player. Tough as nails and talented, just not enough talent to dominate at NFL level. His best season was 2007, when he was 2nd in rushing (500+ yards) and receiving (51 catches) ... he never had another year with even 10 catches .. but when given a chance to catch ball out of backfield, he did very well. This was the year after we made it to super bowl, and we decided to go with Cedric Benson over Thomas Jones ... I like Jones better. So Peterson got much more of an opportunity in 2007 and delivered. Petersons career (2002-09), we went thru so many below average or inconsistent QBs .. it was pathetic offensive era for my Bears .. many more downs, than ups ... but great defenses !! It was also the QB era when we tied our hopes to Grossman (much like Trubisky now ???), who had a career half season in 2006, but otherwise was very underwhelming or irratically good/bad.

In a better offense, Peterson could have been a much more productive as a multi-purpose 2nd string RB, like he was in 2007. Loved watching hiim play.

Grizalltheway
April 2nd, 2020, 11:56 AM

Not sure about that. The '09 semifinal was one for the ages, but even if they had won, I have my doubts that they'd have been able to beat Nova.

NY Crusader 2010
April 2nd, 2020, 01:11 PM
Not sure about that. The '09 semifinal was one for the ages, but even if they had won, I have my doubts that they'd have been able to beat Nova.

Holy Cross gave 'Nova all they could handle for 3 quarters. Pretty sure App State would've had more than a punchers chance.

Daytripper
April 3rd, 2020, 11:01 AM
Walter Payton
Jerry Rice
Steve McNair
Darrell Green
Michael Strahan

cx500d
April 3rd, 2020, 11:04 AM
Jeremiah Briscoe
Josh McCown
Rhett Bhomar
Dustin Long
Brian Bell

FYP

Daytripper
April 3rd, 2020, 11:12 AM
FYP

https://media.giphy.com/media/jzWErKneiZBWE/giphy.gif

PaladinFan
April 3rd, 2020, 12:04 PM

As someone who watched Edwards a bunch, what you miss in the stats were his intangibles. He had insanely quick feet and could change direction on a dime. Even though he wasn't a big guy, he was also a strong and incredibly balanced runner. You rarely saw him go down with an arm tackle.

With Peterson - this is just my opinion - but he was probably a guy that played in the wrong era of the NFL. In his days (15-20 years ago) the NFL was far more of a single feature back offense where half the teams in the league had a running back with 300+ carries. If you weren't the bell cow, there wasn't as many touches to go around.

Today, the NFL is far more of a spread multi-back league. Most teams throw it a lot more and virtually every team sees the benefit of utilizing multiple running backs to spread the work load. I imagine Peterson would have seen the field a bunch in today's offensive systems

100%GRIZ
April 4th, 2020, 09:54 AM
And unfortunately he never got his chance in the NFL & yes I am biased because I saw him play for 3 of 4 years at WaGriz! If he would have got his chance I honestly believe he would have been the 2nd coming of Fran!

100%GRIZ
April 4th, 2020, 10:23 AM
Jerry Kramer - ID?

NY Crusader 2010
April 5th, 2020, 09:53 AM
As someone who watched Edwards a bunch, what you miss in the stats were his intangibles. He had insanely quick feet and could change direction on a dime. Even though he wasn't a big guy, he was also a strong and incredibly balanced runner. You rarely saw him go down with an arm tackle.

With Peterson - this is just my opinion - but he was probably a guy that played in the wrong era of the NFL. In his days (15-20 years ago) the NFL was far more of a single feature back offense where half the teams in the league had a running back with 300+ carries. If you weren't the bell cow, there wasn't as many touches to go around.

Today, the NFL is far more of a spread multi-back league. Most teams throw it a lot more and virtually every team sees the benefit of utilizing multiple running backs to spread the work load. I imagine Peterson would have seen the field a bunch in today's offensive systems

Agreed. Especially an East-West guy like him who was a threat to make catches out of the backfield.

I was lucky enough to get the chance to watch a decent amount of Armanti Edwards' brilliance in college. I've been following I-AA football since 1995 and remember those Georgia Southern teams in the late '90's too. Unfortunately back then I think only the championship was televised live by ESPN. Don't remember the earlier rounds getting live coverage until about 2002/2003.

PaladinFan
April 5th, 2020, 11:10 AM
Agreed. Especially an East-West guy like him who was a threat to make catches out of the backfield.

I was lucky enough to get the chance to watch a decent amount of Armanti Edwards' brilliance in college. I've been following I-AA football since 1995 and remember those Georgia Southern teams in the late '90's too. Unfortunately back then I think only the championship was televised live by ESPN. Don't remember the earlier rounds getting live coverage until about 2002/2003.

I am admittedly biased, but it's hard to recreate the 10+ year period in the Southern Conference from 1995 and running through App's dominance in the mid-2000s in terms of the ultimate FCS/1-AA experience. Marshall, Furman, Georgia Southern, and App State were so good during those years and watching those teams lock up multiple times a season was just a real treat for football fans.

frozennorth
April 5th, 2020, 05:14 PM
Which programs would Dave Dickensen not be in the top 5? Not trying to sound biased, I'm honestly curious here.
You know exactly which school I'm talking about. The one were Wentz isn't a top 5 QB either

NY Crusader 2010
April 5th, 2020, 08:28 PM

Taking a crack at my PL Top 5:

1) Edmonds
2) Lockbaum
3) Branch
4) Ciaccio
5) tie Hollingsworth & Ryan Spadola (Lehigh)

Baron Sardonicus
April 6th, 2020, 11:24 AM
I'll see your hijack, and raise you a consonant.

My PFL Top 5: (no particular order)

Donald Payne
Billy Cundiff
Jamal Agnew
Arnold Mickens
Josh Johnson

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 8th, 2020, 12:27 PM
I would put Ricky Santos, Adrian Peterson, and Armanti Edwards over any FCS player from the 2010s.

uni88
April 8th, 2020, 04:46 PM
So FUBear and citdog are the only ones with Tracy Ham on their list. That guy set the standard for I-AA/FCS. Uncanny physical talent and a will to win.

clenz
April 8th, 2020, 04:50 PM
I would put Ricky Santos, Adrian Peterson, and Armanti Edwards over any FCS player from the 2010s.
Slicky Ricky Santos, and his overly white high tops, wasn't a top 5 QB of his own era.

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Slicky Ricky Santos, and his overly white high tops, wasn't a top 5 QB of his own era.

Until today, I did not realize Santos was the HC of UNH.

It's an interesting era argument. Santos played, I think, between 2004-2007. You could argue that during the same period of time, he overlapped with a golden age of FCS QBs - Tyler Thigpen (Coastal), Ingle Martin (Furman), Armanti Edwards (App State), Lang Campbell (W&M), Jayson Foster (GSU), Josh Johnson (USD), Joe Flacco (UD), Scott Riddle (Elon), and Eric Sanders (UNI), among others.

NY Crusader 2010
April 9th, 2020, 12:34 PM

I would rank Jimmy Garroppolo (EIU) ahead of Ricky Santos.

clenz
April 9th, 2020, 01:32 PM
Until today, I did not realize Santos was the HC of UNH.

It's an interesting era argument. Santos played, I think, between 2004-2007. You could argue that during the same period of time, he overlapped with a golden age of FCS QBs - Tyler Thigpen (Coastal), Ingle Martin (Furman), Armanti Edwards (App State), Lang Campbell (W&M), Jayson Foster (GSU), Josh Johnson (USD), Joe Flacco (UD), Scott Riddle (Elon), and Eric Sanders (UNI), among others.
And he went under .500 against those QBs that when he faced them

I know W/L for a QB is a meh stat at best but worth noting.

He played the exact same years as Eric Sanders - 04-07 - went 0-3

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2020, 03:05 PM
Very hard to say just 5 top overall.

5 OFFENSE
WR Randy Moss, Marshall
WR Jerry Rice, MVSU
QB Armanti Edwards, App State
RB Brian Westbrook, Villanova tie Walter Payton, Jackson State
QB Steve McNair, Alcorn State

Honorable Mention
RB Adrian Peterson, Georgia Southern
WR/DB Gordie Lockbaum, Holy Cross
QB Easton Stick, NDSU
QB Tracy Ham, Georgia Southern
QB Dave Dickenson, Montana
QB Josh Johnson, San Diego- People forget him because of Pioneer League but he put up the kind of numbers a great player should put up in the Pioneer League
WR Cooper Kupp, Eastern Washington
RB Louis Ivory, Furman
RB Dave Meggett, Towosn

5 DEFENSE
LB Charles Haley, James Madison
LB Dexter Coakley, App State
LB Boomer Grigsby, Illinois State
DB Rashean Mathis, Bethune-Cookman
DE Jared Allen, Idaho State

Honorable Mention
DE Robert Mathis, Alabama A&M
LB Gary Reasons, NW State
DE Chris Gocong, Cal Poly
LB Sherrod Coates, Western Kentucky
S Corey Lynch, App State
DT Al Lucas, Troy State
LB Dante Olson, Montana
DE Michael Strahan, Texas Southern

FormerPokeCenter
April 10th, 2020, 05:15 PM

5 OFFENSE
WR Randy Moss, Marshall
WR Jerry Rice, MVSU
RB Brian Westbrook, Villanova

Honorable Mention
RB Walter Payton, Jackson State
QB Gordie Lauckbaum, Holy Cross
QB Easton Stick, NDSU
QB Josh Johnson, San Diego- People forget him because of Pioneer League but he put up the kind of numbers a great player should put up in the Pioneer League
RB Louis Ivory, Furman
RB Dave Meggett, Towosn

5 DEFENSE

Honorable Mention
S Corey Lynch, App State
DT Al Lucas, Troy State
LB Dante Olson, Montana

Jerry Rice, but no Willie "Satellite" Toten? C'mon....

Walter Payton, "Honorable mention?" ....I don't have a printable reply...

No Gary Reasons on Defense? First three time All-American in I-AA history and in the college football hall of fame?

Man, tough crowd...

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2020, 10:18 PM
Jerry Rice, but no Willie "Satellite" Toten? C'mon....

Walter Payton, "Honorable mention?" ....I don't have a printable reply...

No Gary Reasons on Defense? First three time All-American in I-AA history and in the college football hall of fame?

Man, tough crowd...

I must admit I had forgotten about Reasons. I was trying to go through my notes of names I had seen and he was a little before my time for watching I-AA/FCS enough to have him come to mind immediately.

As for Payton, I put him at a tie with Westbrook. Payton was the best pure runner but Westbrook was the best all-purpose back I thought. Rice is the greatest WR of all-time and the most dominant in terms of career numbers for a long time. Moss was the best physical specimen to set foot in I-AA and we all know he would have been a 5-star top 10 player out of HS. He really did not belong in the MAC or SoCon. Should have been in ACC or SEC but FSU and ND both dropped him. Edwards has to be in there as the first 2-time winner of the Payton Award and someone who was a top 100 draft pick who played in the NFL a while and been very good in the CFL. McNair had a top 5 finish for the Heisman and was a great NFL player. Hard to leave him off. What is crazy is that the two-time winners of the Payton have either had a mediocre time in NFL or never made it.

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2020, 10:43 PM
Who would be your top 10 OL of all-time in I-AA/FCS? I really need to go through and look at the AA teams.

Some names who come to mind.

OT Mike Roos, Eastern Washington
OT Jermon Bushrod, Towson
C Matt Birk, Harvard
OT Terron Armstead, UAPB
OT Willie Colon, Hofstra
C Brad Meester, Northern Iowa
OT Chad Rinehart, Northern Iowa
OT Austin Howard, Northern Iowa
OT JC Tretter, Cornell
OT Scott Gragg, Montana
OT Dakota Dozier, Furman
OG Lester Holmes, Jackson State
OT Buster Ashley, Western Kentucky
OT Jamain Stephens, NC A&T
OT Billy Turner, NDSU
OT Dillon Radunz, NDSU- I think he will be by this time next year
OT Vladimir Ducasse, UMASS
OT Ben Ijalana, Villanova
OT Marko Cavka, Sac State
OG Mark Williams, Georgia Southern
OG Kerry Brown, App State
OT Derrick Graham, App State
OT Corey Levin, Chattanooga
OT Tytus Howard, Alabama State

Who am I missing to consider?

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 10th, 2020, 11:27 PM

5 OFFENSE
WR Randy Moss, Marshall
WR Jerry Rice, MVSU

Honorable Mention
QB Easton Stick, NDSU
RB Louis Ivory, Furman
RB Dave Meggett, Towosn

5 DEFENSE

Honorable Mention
S Corey Lynch, App State
DT Al Lucas, Troy State
LB Dante Olson, Montana

Lockbaum didn't play any quarterback to my knowledge. He was basically a RB/Flanker (similar to Ricky Watters/Rocket Ismail's role in Holtz's offense at ND) on offense, DB on defense and kick returner. Bottom line, he was a freak....

FormerPokeCenter
April 11th, 2020, 12:26 AM
Who would be your top 10 OL of all-time in I-AA/FCS? I really need to go through and look at the AA teams.

OT Terron Armstead, UAPB
OT Willie Colon, Hofstra
OT Scott Gragg, Montana
OT Dakota Dozier, Furman
OT Billy Turner, NDSU

Bruce Collie, UT-Arlington, SF 49ers...

NY Crusader 2010
April 11th, 2020, 09:00 AM

5 OFFENSE
WR Randy Moss, Marshall
WR Jerry Rice, MVSU

Honorable Mention
QB Easton Stick, NDSU
RB Louis Ivory, Furman
RB Dave Meggett, Towosn

5 DEFENSE

Honorable Mention
S Corey Lynch, App State
DT Al Lucas, Troy State
LB Dante Olson, Montana

No Jared Allen on defense?

NY Crusader 2010
April 11th, 2020, 09:03 AM

OT Terron Armstead, UAPB
OT Willie Colon, Hofstra
OT Scott Gragg, Montana
OT Dakota Dozier, Furman
OT Billy Turner, NDSU

Matt Birk, PENN.

Also as a Jets fan it would be great if you could remove Vlad Ducasse from this list thank you.

MR. CHICKEN
April 11th, 2020, 09:35 AM
.....CONWAY HAYMAN.......DELAWARE ALL -AMERICAN GUARD 1970.......PAVED DUH WAY FO' EARL CAMPBELL.........BRAWK!

smallcollegefbfan
April 11th, 2020, 01:40 PM
Lockbaum didn't play any quarterback to my knowledge. He was basically a RB/Flanker (similar to Ricky Watters/Rocket Ismail's role in Holtz's offense at ND) on offense, DB on defense and kick returner. Bottom line, he was a freak....

Yes, typo. WR, RB, DB, and RS. Played all 3 phases real well.

smallcollegefbfan
April 11th, 2020, 01:42 PM
No Jared Allen on defense?

I had made a couple typos and omissions because I was typing fast. I have updated it now. Allen would be top 5 for me on defense. I'm sure I still may be missing a couple names. Hopefully I caught the couple of edits I needed to make.

smallcollegefbfan
April 11th, 2020, 01:44 PM
Matt Birk, PENN.

Also as a Jets fan it would be great if you could remove Vlad Ducasse from this list thank you.

Birk played at Harvard. I looked at the Ivy league Media Guide and added a couple more from the league.

Can't remove Ducasse. NFL bust but he was a great college OL.

NY Crusader 2010
April 12th, 2020, 12:09 PM
Birk played at Harvard. I looked at the Ivy league Media Guide and added a couple more from the league.

Can't remove Ducasse. NFL bust but he was a great college OL.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't even realize he was an Ivy League / FCS alum until someone pointed it out in the "Top All Time" Ivy thread. I got Harvard and Penn mixed up I guess...

Mocs123
April 13th, 2020, 07:27 AM
Randy Moss
Adirian Peterson
Armanti Edwards
Steve McNair
Terrell Owens

I'm limiting my list to guys that I was able to see play either in person or on TV. That left two greats: Walter Payton and Jerry Rice off the list (though I saw Rice play in the NFL).

Sader87
April 13th, 2020, 02:16 PM

C Matt Birk, Harvard
OT Terron Armstead, UAPB
OT Willie Colon, Hofstra
OT JC Tretter, Cornell
OT Scott Gragg, Montana
OT Dakota Dozier, Furman
OT Billy Turner, NDSU
OT Tytus Howard, Alabama State

Bruce Kozerski OL Holy Cross ....played multiple OL positions for the Cincy Bengals from 1984-1995

PaladinFan
April 13th, 2020, 03:55 PM
Did someone say Corey Lynch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs