PDA

View Full Version : No Spring Football for the Ivy League schools

bonarae
March 10th, 2020, 06:52 PM
... in light of the coronavirus.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200310120904455209804&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

citdog
March 10th, 2020, 07:43 PM

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200310120904455209804&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

HILARIOUS! Ivy League football is the joke that never gets old.

NY Crusader 2010
March 10th, 2020, 08:27 PM
This is the Ivy League trying to show the rest of the world how "woke" they are. MAYBE I could justify cancelling spring practice to prevent the slim possibility of a Holy Cross 1969 Hepatitis re-occurrence.

But their decision today to CANCEL the Men's and Women's Basketball conference tournaments is a complete travesty. HOW HARD IS IT TO PLAY THE GAMES IN AN EMPTY GYM?? Allow essential personnel, select media (it's the IL so Fox News is out) and however many will call tickets each player and coach would typically be allocated.

Ivytalk
March 10th, 2020, 08:47 PM
HILARIOUS! Ivy League football is the joke that never gets old.

You can put that Princeton rejection letter back in your desk now, Bubba.

Bisonator
March 10th, 2020, 09:57 PM
Lol they aren't even going to practice? JFC what a bunch of pansies.

bonarae
March 11th, 2020, 01:57 AM
Lol they aren't even going to practice? JFC what a bunch of pansies.

Over on CS.com (ChampionshipSubdivision.com for the newer posters here), a Sacramento State fan having a connection with a son at Harvard's track team informed the forum there that all spring sports competitions for the Crimson this season are already cancelled along with academic classes for this semester, the latter having to go the online route.

I have yet to check the student newspaper for updates, though. I'll also check the other Ivies for any similar updates.

Go Green
March 11th, 2020, 05:26 AM
Assuming that the cancellation holds, and assuming that things return to normal by summer, I'd say that the teams that will benefit the most in the Ivy are the teams that have experienced QBs returning for the fall.

Teams breaking in new QBs will find that they have very little time to have the new guy get comfortable in the starter's spot.

Redbird 4th & short
March 11th, 2020, 07:57 AM
Not going to knock the Ivys for taking this precaution. This thing is ramping up and there is too much we don't know, and are not prepared for if it continues to ramp.

p.s. but I won't stop knocking their non-participation in football playoffs, especially their excuses.

Mocs123
March 11th, 2020, 08:10 AM
I get being cautious, but are the teams not doing winter workouts being together anyways? It's not like spring practice brings in that many more people? What if contravirus is still lingering in the fall, are they going to cancel the entire football season?

bonarae
March 11th, 2020, 08:45 AM
What if contravirus is still lingering in the fall, are they going to cancel the entire football season?

xdontknowx We'll see in the summer...

Sycamore62
March 11th, 2020, 08:51 AM
I doubt the virus will be killing 18-22yo college athletes.

on the other hand, nobody will miss the 2020 season with a spring practice injury

ST_Lawson
March 11th, 2020, 08:52 AM
What if contravirus is still lingering in the fall, are they going to cancel the entire football season?

Cancel...probably not.

Close some games to the public (like, play in front of no crowd, like the Orioles did a few years back)...I could see that happening. All depends on where things progress between now and then.

Mocs123
March 11th, 2020, 09:35 AM
We could see games being played in front of now crowds sooner than that in the NBA, NCAA BB, MLB. I would have thought Spring Practice would have been considered no crowd though.

Sader87
March 11th, 2020, 12:19 PM
It wasn't that long ago that the Ivies didn't have Spring practice altogether.

Not sure when they started having it.

Laker
March 11th, 2020, 12:24 PM
It wasn't that long ago that the Ivies didn't have Spring practice altogether.

Not sure when they started having it.

I wondered about that myself.

June and December 1991
Coincident with reducing the permitted number of recruited football players, the Council agrees to freshman eligibility in football and to 12 sessions of spring practice for football rather than one spring "media day."

https://ivyleague.com/sports/2017/7/28/history-timeline-index.aspx

WestCoastAggie
March 11th, 2020, 01:33 PM
FAMU is going to have a spring game but fans won't be allowed to attend.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/03/10/famu-spring-game-no-fans-coronavirus/

Morgan State also cancelled face to face classes. I'm not sure how their spring practice is going though. In Greensboro, it's full sail ahead, for now.

RichH2
March 11th, 2020, 01:51 PM
I doubt the virus will be killing 18-22yo college athletes.

on the other hand, nobody will miss the 2020 season with a spring practice injury

That is not the issue. They can still be infected. Most at that age will have relatively minor or no symptoms. But they are carriers of the virus able to spread the infection. All you need is a staff member with the virus who spreads it among the team. They go home and the infections spreads into the general population.

Go Green
March 11th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Now the Ivy has canceled all spring sports...

:(

cx500d
March 11th, 2020, 04:01 PM

I'm confused....Do they have Fall Football?

Sycamore62
March 11th, 2020, 04:02 PM
ISUb is way out in front of this. We have been limiting crowds for athletic events for years.

Sader87
March 11th, 2020, 04:27 PM
No crowds for NCAA hoop tourney now....I think it may get cancelled actually.

Panic is spreading out of control imo.

Ivytalk
March 11th, 2020, 05:10 PM

Just in: The Ivies have agreed to disband and dissolve. No more elite colleges for the hoi polloi to rag on. We’re done.

R.I.P. Harvard University 1636-2020.

cx500d
March 11th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Just in: The Ivies have agreed to disband and dissolve. No more elite colleges for the hoi polloi to rag on. We’re done.

R.I.P. Harvard University 1636-2020.

What are they going to do with all that pudding? Giving it to Cosby?

https://pics.me.me/i-love-pudding-jello-pudding-pudding-my-dick-where-it-51541271.png

Ivytalk
March 11th, 2020, 05:30 PM
What are they going to do with all that pudding? Giving it to Cosby?

https://pics.me.me/i-love-pudding-jello-pudding-pudding-my-dick-where-it-51541271.png
As in Hasty Pudding? I’ve tried it. Nothing to write home about.

bulldog10jw
March 11th, 2020, 06:36 PM

Accelerating the panic. xthumbsdownx

NY Crusader 2010
March 11th, 2020, 08:40 PM
Michigan and Ohio State just cancelled spring practice as well.

Holy Cross earlier today cancelled all campus events between now and the end of the semester. Students MUST move out by March 14th. No official announcement but I would assume we will hear shortly that all spring sports are cancelled.

JayJ79
March 11th, 2020, 09:04 PM
Students sure as hell better be getting refunds for at the very least room/board. I suppose if online courses are replacing the regular instruction, that would give the school reason to keep tuition. But I don't think online instruction necessarily works for all types of classes.

cx500d
March 11th, 2020, 10:59 PM
Students sure as hell better be getting refunds for at the very least room/board. I suppose if online courses are replacing the regular instruction, that would give the school reason to keep tuition. But I don't think online instruction necessarily works for all types of classes.
Online shouldnt cost as much as in-person either, and better not be paying those student fees

Redbird 4th & short
March 11th, 2020, 11:09 PM
Accelerating the panic. xthumbsdownx

Well, NBA just canceled rest of season.

cx500d
March 11th, 2020, 11:15 PM
Well, NBA just canceled rest of season.
I thought they said suspended the season, which I thought basically paused it for the time being, not a full on cancellation (yet)

Laker
March 11th, 2020, 11:34 PM
I thought they said suspended the season, which I thought basically paused it for the time being, not a full on cancellation (yet)

Yes, it is a suspension. They could still have playoffs in August.

bonarae
March 12th, 2020, 07:33 AM
Just to keep you all updated regarding this... I'm contemplating of me representing an under-represented FCS school instead of Harvard for this year's AGS countdown. The Crimson usually release their coming season's roster at end of spring practice but this won't proceed the usual way this year due to this fiasco.

I will create a separate thread regarding this decision soon. The coronavirus has thrown every entertainment (not just sports) opportunity out of whack for the safety of all. xprayx

RichH2
March 12th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Pats are following suit. Lehigh, Holy Cross and and Lafayette have closed campuses. Remote classes for at least 2 weeks as the situation and actual options develop.Lehigh has delayed all sports activity for the period.
Spring Practice also delayed. The Pat Council of Presidents will be developing. PL policy for sports.
If. Spring practices are cancelled the option may be trying to schedule that segment to June after Finals. Not sure whether there is an NCAA rule as to when those practices cand be held.

Redbird 4th & short
March 12th, 2020, 08:20 AM
good point .. saw some clarification that they might still do playoffs based on standings as of now. But at current rate (i.e. new cases), I doubt they will allow fans in the stadiums. So they will rely entirely on TV revenue. But I would assume it will only take a couple more players contracting COVID before they would also cancel playoffs.

p.s. the US is still way behind the curve on new cases being diagnosed, because we are even further behind on testing. So the number could be much higher, because diagnoses aren't happening. According to WHO, the US ranks 16th in testing per capita. This rank is down from 9th just 1 week ago. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

RichH2
March 12th, 2020, 08:32 AM
Pats are following suit. Lehigh, Holy Cross and and Lafayette have closed campuses. Remote classes for at least 2 weeks as the situation and actual options develop.Lehigh has delayed all sports activity for the period.
Spring Practice also delayed. The Pat Council of Presidents will be developing. PL policy for sports.
If. Spring practices are cancelled the option may be trying to schedule that segment to June after Finals. Not sure whether there is an NCAA rule as to when those practices cand be held.

LU of Maryland Colgate Georgetown and Bucknell have adopted similar temporary policies.

RichH2
March 12th, 2020, 09:45 AM
Bucknell athletes have been informed Council of Presidentd has decided that all Spring sports are cancelled for this academic year. Winter sports can finish
their schedules. No Spring practice.

Ivytalk
March 12th, 2020, 10:57 AM
At least the Sixers won’t lose again on the road for awhile.xsmiley_wix

jacksfan29!
March 12th, 2020, 10:57 AM

Won't happen, or in the case of the University of Colorado, "no classes but the campus remains open for business including the dorms, student cafeteria and recreation center". That way when mommy and daddy ask for a refund of the room and board they can say no.

If you want to know how big a joke this is, and how academia are only doing this to save face, CU's action plan is proof that this whole thing is a joke driven by idiocy.

Redbird 4th & short
March 12th, 2020, 11:02 AM
At least the Sixers won’t lose again on the road for awhile.xsmiley_wix

Got you beat .. my Bulls can't lose home or road any more. Is that they call that a win win situation !!

JALMOND
March 12th, 2020, 02:01 PM
Portland State cancelled their spring football game this weekend.

https://goviks.com/news/2020/3/12/viking-spring-football-game-canceled.aspx

SUPharmacist
March 12th, 2020, 02:15 PM
Won't happen, or in the case of the University of Colorado, "no classes but the campus remains open for business including the dorms, student cafeteria and recreation center". That way when mommy and daddy ask for a refund of the room and board they can say no.

If you want to know how big a joke this is, and how academia are only doing this to save face, CU's action plan is proof that this whole thing is a joke driven by idiocy.

I do not know anymore of CU’s action plan than you just posted, but based off of that alone I do not see this as a joke to save face. Some of these students do not have other housing if they are asked to leave the dorms (I know I did not during college), and while most could arrange to find family/friends they could stay with it may warrant a flight (confined space for this to spread if anyone on flight has been exposed). Also, most college age students will have a mild case if they get it, but may bring these cases home to parents who are at a much higher risk of severe disease.

I think the challenging part to understand is that a lot of the actions around colleges have little to do with keeping the students healthy and more to do with protecting staff and the broader public from potential for more transmission. It is always hard to explain severe actions for groups where the impact will be small, but a large part of public health policies are to maximize safety to high risk groups.

Outsider1
March 12th, 2020, 02:23 PM
The Southland Conference has followed suit. Spring football practices are up to the schools. I have no idea what ACU will do. I can see both sides as a alumni/fan and public health person.

https://acusports.com/news/2020/3/12/baseball-southland-conference-announces-suspension-of-spring-sport-competitions.aspx

FormerPokeCenter
March 12th, 2020, 02:34 PM
The Chinese are reporting that the virus appears to spread faster in temps below 8.72 celsius, roughly 48 degrees....A US researcher at the U of Maryland has said the same thing, but he puts the upper end of the range in the mid 50s...and most folks agree that it doesn't like high temps...push spring training back a bit...

Libertine
March 12th, 2020, 04:23 PM
The amount of intellectual cowardice and abdication of leadership by the people who run higher education right now in this country is just staggering. You don't run from your responsibilities just because "there's just so much we don't know". That is the exact opposite of leadership. Any decision based on what you're afraid of instead of based on what you actually know is guaranteed to be the wrong decision. To rather be safe than sorry is, in reality, a lie that the weak-willed fall back on in order to justify their reliance on the intelligence of the mob; particularly when, so often, the "safe" decision doesn't actually make anyone safer and just makes everyone sorry.

unknown3
March 12th, 2020, 04:58 PM
The amount of intellectual cowardice and abdication of leadership by the people who run higher education right now in this country is just staggering. You don't run from your responsibilities just because "there's just so much we don't know". That is the exact opposite of leadership. Any decision based on what you're afraid of instead of based on what you actually know is guaranteed to be the wrong decision. To rather be safe than sorry is, in reality, a lie that the weak-willed fall back on in order to justify their reliance on the intelligence of the mob; particularly when, so often, the "safe" decision doesn't actually make anyone safer and just makes everyone sorry.

This may be the dumbest thing i've read in a long time.

cx500d
March 12th, 2020, 04:59 PM
The Southland Conference has followed suit. Spring football practices are up to the schools. I have no idea what ACU will do. I can see both sides as a alumni/fan and public health person.

https://acusports.com/news/2020/3/12/baseball-southland-conference-announces-suspension-of-spring-sport-competitions.aspx
Abilene is a god forsaken wasteland...corona virus has no desire to go to Abilene

Outsider1
March 12th, 2020, 06:53 PM
Abilene is a god forsaken wasteland...corona virus has no desire to go to Abilene

I found out a long time ago that the mesquites repel it.

Libertine
March 12th, 2020, 07:53 PM

I'll be honest, when I wrote the above post, I had just heard about the basketball tournament cancellations and I was really pissed off. I've had a little bit of time to reflect now and, frankly, I don't take back anything. I stand by my comments on intellectual cowardice and abdication of leadership on the part of the NCAA and the conferences. On the other hand, should we expect any different? I've always believed that sports are a microcosm of society in general and this public health crisis is only confirming that theory. Yes, COVID-19 can be deadly for a portion of the population but only a fraction of those exposed to the virus will fall ill and for only a small fraction of those will the disease prove fatal. The point I'm getting to here is that the effect of the public health scare far far far far far far far far outsizes the effect of the disease itself. We, as a society, should be reacting to this situation with perspective and aplomb but we're not. Our leaders aren't either so why should we have any confidence that, of all organizations, the NCAA might represent the cooler head?

Now, granted, I understand that while a person is, statistically, more likely to be killed by lightning than by COVID-19, that bolt of lightning can't be transmitted to other people who, by physical condition or age, might be far more susceptible to worse effect from the virus. I also recognize that large group gatherings are more likely to be transmission points to those people. Still, why is this the thing we panic over? Again, going back to statistics, the seasonal flu is substantially more widespread and fatal for a far wider stratum of the population in the US alone every single year than the coronavirus has been globally up to this point. Proportionally, the public reaction to corona doesn't make sense other than, as I told my wife, "It's an election year, so everyone's lost their damn mind."

Now, the soapbox rant is over but here's one other fun fact that I haven't heard anyone in college athletics talking about just yet but they will likely have to at some point. There are two big cash cows in college sports: the FBS College Football Playoff and the March Madness basketball tournament. However, the CFP is its own organization that the NCAA has no financial role in, meaning that the vast majority -- I'm talking upwards of 90% -- of the NCAA's annual operating budget which pays for their own internal operations in Indianapolis along with the playoff formats for D2, D3 and Olympic sports at all levels all comes from revenue generated by the March Madness tournament. The College World Series generates a little money but, by itself, March Madness is worth nearly a billion dollars annually to the NCAA. In 2013, the NCAA stated that they had just over $500 million -- or 6 months' operating expenses -- in cash reserves on hand and they typically managed to hang onto an additional 8.4% of that per year. However, that was before legal challenges to transfer rules, concussion lawsuits and NIL policies started generating legal fees for the organization.

In addition, every April, there are payouts from the NCAA's Equal Conference Fund and Performance Fund for the teams and conferences that made the Big Dance. These are payments to the conferences represented in the field (usually split up equally among its members by the conference) along with bonus payments for the actual participants. This means that the team that actually made the tournament gets paid by the NCAA just for getting in but the worst team in a one-bid league still gets paid as well. It's a yearly revenue that many smaller schools with their accompanying smaller budgets count on having. In fact, some non-football D2's have made the jump to D1 because that piece of the March Madness pie makes up their cost difference between the two divisions. That won't be happening this year which is going to financially affect smaller schools in greater negative proportion than larger schools who could better absorb the loss. The bottom line is that no NCAA basketball tournament in 2020 means a cash crunch down the line for somebody and I think that it's far more likely that FCS, D2 and D3 will be forced to bear the financial brunt of it more so than the autonomous Power 5 conferences.

favorite football fan
March 13th, 2020, 12:18 AM
"It's an election year, so everyone's lost their damn mind."

Since Nov of 2016, a lot of people have lost their collective minds. There are going to be a number of conspiracy theories and I happen to agree with the above quote.

I would not be surprised in the least if there was some underlying rationale for the "loss of common sense." I will list a few that are, in my opinion, reasonable.

1. mainstream media (MSM) wants to see Trump lose in November and are going to try to do everything they can to steer the election in favor of whoever the democrats nominate; thus, they are attempting to pin this whole thing on Trump. It's an attempt to separate Trump's base from Trump. And of course, those Trump supporters are "deplorables" and LOVE their sports teams and want to sit in front of their TV's, spittin' their chaw and beat their Bibles and hold onto their guns. The elitists in the MSM think these folks are nothing but a bunch of uneducated country bumpkins. There is little doubt that the MSM has been doing this for some time. Some are calling this "Trump's Katrina" or "Trump's Chernobyl".

Plus, the MSM is trying to gin up panic so people will view their sites and "get clicks". How many times have we seen the "drive-by media" getting people riled up to cause a riot or scare people into buying stuff during a hurricane? So, the election year madness is quite true in my opinion. The MSM always wants to be on the cutting edge of being the first to break the story of mass death from the Andromeda Strain. Makes for a great story and they want to win their Pulitzer Prize for "Best Story."

2. the NCAA along with the professional sports leagues (NFL, NBA, etc) are trying to be on the "right side of history" and in hopes that the mainstream media won't take them to task for valuing "profits over people". In this way, the MSM is attempting to create and instill a panic in which the economy will take a hit. The MSM is hoping that the economy takes a hit in order to have big govt to come in and take more control of the economy. If you are a Bernie supporter, this fits right in the Crazy Bernie narrative of corporate greed and applaud such action. Thus, taking out the big money of the NCAA and MLB etc feeds into the "workers of the world unite against the evil capitalists and bourgeoisie that own and/or control the means of production."

As I write this, Silver of the NBA is starting to "re-think" this a bit more; the move initially was a public relations advantage temporarily but they will say "hey, this virus thing is going to subside and cannot go one forever, so, once we see the peaking of this, we will resume play." MLB will do the same thing. PR first, then reason; think of your fan's health then figure out a way to get them back in the arena buying your product. Ice caps melting? Sure, we are concerned about that. Drink our lite beer because we too care about the elves at the North Pole drowning.

3. the universities are trying to do the same thing i.e. "be on the right side of history." They are trying to avoid, in my opinion, lawsuits that could stem from this thus the "cowardice" that was mentioned is quite accurate. No university administrator wants to be the next hashtag. Plus, give that a majority of your faculty are liberals (you have a better than 60% to 70% chance of being a progressive democrat) and hate athletics and the money that is fed through that system i.e. these faculty do not like the "athletics tail that wags the university/college dog." While the administrators are going to miss the money, they are, as we speak, being quietly applauded by the faculty. How many of you remember a faculty member got mad at you for missing class because of "travel" with the team or was put out because you had to miss a test that was scheduled and had to set up a special time for you to take the test? And colleges depend on the federal govt for student loans so these administrators want to see some one in office that is going to keep the money funnel running. From this it is quite simple: close the schools, cancel the sports, show that you care, but teach students online but not give back any money. So, suck up to the govt and claim "hey, we did the right thing, we need our bail-out to continue." The public schools can make this argument better whereas the private ones are going to have to depend on student-loans AND private donations much more but they are all really in the same boat.

4. the NCAA could be doing this as well to stem the tide of the NIL and the paying of college students. What they can say is "hey, we sacrificed a LOT of money that goes back to the colleges and our organization, why do we want to pay student-athletes when we lost all that money?" Of course, college presidents are going to like this because that will help them keep more of the pie. This Andromeda Strain panic is really an opportunity but cloaked in the PR and public health argument.

Of course, this is not a complete list. Some kook will come in and say this is why we need the New Green Deal and eliminate fossil fuels because the "earth is fragile and angry" and put out a virus to because of climate change.

lionsrking2
March 13th, 2020, 12:19 AM

Agree.

Redbird 4th & short
March 13th, 2020, 02:00 AM
This may be the dumbest thing i've read EVER.
FIFY

Redbird 4th & short
March 13th, 2020, 02:03 AM
Since Nov of 2016, a lot of people have lost their collective minds. There are going to be a number of conspiracy theories and I happen to agree with the above quote.

I would not be surprised in the least if there was some underlying rationale for the "loss of common sense." I will list a few that are, in my opinion, reasonable.

1. mainstream media (MSM) wants to see Trump lose in November and are going to try to do everything they can to steer the election in favor of whoever the democrats nominate; thus, they are attempting to pin this whole thing on Trump. It's an attempt to separate Trump's base from Trump. And of course, those Trump supporters are "deplorables" and LOVE their sports teams and want to sit in front of their TV's, spittin' their chaw and beat their Bibles and hold onto their guns. The elitists in the MSM think these folks are nothing but a bunch of uneducated country bumpkins. There is little doubt that the MSM has been doing this for some time. Some are calling this "Trump's Katrina" or "Trump's Chernobyl".

Plus, the MSM is trying to gin up panic so people will view their sites and "get clicks". How many times have we seen the "drive-by media" getting people riled up to cause a riot or scare people into buying stuff during a hurricane? So, the election year madness is quite true in my opinion. The MSM always wants to be on the cutting edge of being the first to break the story of mass death from the Andromeda Strain. Makes for a great story and they want to win their Pulitzer Prize for "Best Story."

2. the NCAA along with the professional sports leagues (NFL, NBA, etc) are trying to be on the "right side of history" and in hopes that the mainstream media won't take them to task for valuing "profits over people". In this way, the MSM is attempting to create and instill a panic in which the economy will take a hit. The MSM is hoping that the economy takes a hit in order to have big govt to come in and take more control of the economy. If you are a Bernie supporter, this fits right in the Crazy Bernie narrative of corporate greed and applaud such action. Thus, taking out the big money of the NCAA and MLB etc feeds into the "workers of the world unite against the evil capitalists and bourgeoisie that own and/or control the means of production."

As I write this, Silver of the NBA is starting to "re-think" this a bit more; the move initially was a public relations advantage temporarily but they will say "hey, this virus thing is going to subside and cannot go one forever, so, once we see the peaking of this, we will resume play." MLB will do the same thing. PR first, then reason; think of your fan's health then figure out a way to get them back in the arena buying your product. Ice caps melting? Sure, we are concerned about that. Drink our lite beer because we too care about the elves at the North Pole drowning.

3. the universities are trying to do the same thing i.e. "be on the right side of history." They are trying to avoid, in my opinion, lawsuits that could stem from this thus the "cowardice" that was mentioned is quite accurate. No university administrator wants to be the next hashtag. Plus, give that a majority of your faculty are liberals (you have a better than 60% to 70% chance of being a progressive democrat) and hate athletics and the money that is fed through that system i.e. these faculty do not like the "athletics tail that wags the university/college dog." While the administrators are going to miss the money, they are, as we speak, being quietly applauded by the faculty. How many of you remember a faculty member got mad at you for missing class because of "travel" with the team or was put out because you had to miss a test that was scheduled and had to set up a special time for you to take the test? And colleges depend on the federal govt for student loans so these administrators want to see some one in office that is going to keep the money funnel running. From this it is quite simple: close the schools, cancel the sports, show that you care, but teach students online but not give back any money. So, suck up to the govt and claim "hey, we did the right thing, we need our bail-out to continue." The public schools can make this argument better whereas the private ones are going to have to depend on student-loans AND private donations much more but they are all really in the same boat.

4. the NCAA could be doing this as well to stem the tide of the NIL and the paying of college students. What they can say is "hey, we sacrificed a LOT of money that goes back to the colleges and our organization, why do we want to pay student-athletes when we lost all that money?" Of course, college presidents are going to like this because that will help them keep more of the pie. This Andromeda Strain panic is really an opportunity but cloaked in the PR and public health argument.

Of course, this is not a complete list. Some kook will come in and say this is why we need the New Green Deal and eliminate fossil fuels because the "earth is fragile and angry" and put out a virus to because of climate change.
this garbage belongs on the poli board

WestCoastAggie
March 13th, 2020, 06:55 AM
I know we’re missing sports but can y’all get back to ragging on the Ivy for being ahead of the containment spike?

OhioHen
March 13th, 2020, 06:59 AM

Then you haven't read about 90% of the posts on the Poli Board.

And you don't read much in the way of mainstream media reports.

Ivytalk
March 13th, 2020, 07:47 AM
I know we’re missing sports but can y’all get back to ragging on the Ivy for being ahead of the containment spike?
Good idea. I’m starting to miss the abuse.

Outsider1
March 13th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Life moves on...

BEAR
March 13th, 2020, 09:00 AM
Life moves on...

Man what a week.

UCA has cancelled classes until next Tuesday. The classes on campus will now be online only. No need for students to come to campus. Everything else on campus is operating normally. Library etc. No sports though. Don't know if the football team is still practicing or if there will be a spring game. Sucks if there won't but I don't want kids sick either. No baseball. No softball. No beach volleyball. Ouch.

Sycamore62
March 13th, 2020, 09:00 AM
Good idea. I’m starting to miss the abuse.

You guys suck

Redbird 4th & short
March 13th, 2020, 09:08 AM
You guys suck

This !

:D

Outsider1
March 13th, 2020, 09:16 AM
Man what a week.

UCA has cancelled classes until next Tuesday. The classes on campus will now be online only. No need for students to come to campus. Everything else on campus is operating normally. Library etc. No sports though. Don't know if the football team is still practicing or if there will be a spring game. Sucks if there won't but I don't want kids sick either. No baseball. No softball. No beach volleyball. Ouch.

That's exactly what ACU is doing. I would be surprised if football has official practice. I wouldn't be surprised if players had "assignments". I'm not sure about the library, weight room, cafeteria, etc... They gave and extra week of Spring Break for professors to prepare the remainder of their classes to be online format.

ST_Lawson
March 13th, 2020, 09:26 AM
That's exactly what ACU is doing. I would be surprised if football has official practice. I wouldn't be surprised if players had "assignments". I'm not sure about the library, weight room, cafeteria, etc... They gave and extra week of Spring Break for professors to prepare the remainder of their classes to be online format.

I think it's safe to say that most universities are doing some version of this...I know that all the public ones in Illinois are.

favorite football fan
March 13th, 2020, 10:41 AM
this garbage belongs on the poli board

Not really. My post was actually directed at the topic at large and has direct application to the world of sports/athletics and in particular college athletics. And I do not consider it garbage either. In fact, this "garbage" as you say is chocked full of the realities that affect football.

Since this is my third post overall, could you be so kind as to tell me what one is allowed to post here? If you could I will be most grateful.

lionsrking2
March 13th, 2020, 01:01 PM

We had practice number 5 yesterday and assume we'll continue with No. 6 on Saturday. My guess is the spring game festivities with fans will be canceled but it's a glorified scrimmage anyway and can take place without fans. Baseball is playing a three game intrasquad series starting tonight, just like a regular season game, free to the public.

Outsider1
March 13th, 2020, 01:10 PM
We had practice number 5 yesterday and assume we'll continue with No. 6 on Saturday. My guess is the spring game festivities with fans will be canceled but it's a glorified scrimmage anyway and can take place without fans. Baseball is playing a three game intrasquad series starting tonight, just like a regular season game, free to the public.

Currently our coaches are wanting to continue practice starting Monday. Questions are already going around. We'll see as I can see it going either way. Another poster of ours wondered if the SLC had put out any official guidelines or not. We thought they may have but haven't seen anything.

lionsrking2
March 13th, 2020, 01:14 PM
Currently our coaches are wanting to continue practice starting Monday. Questions are already going around. We'll see as I can see it going either way. Another poster of ours wondered if the SLC had put out any official guidelines or not. We thought they may have but haven't seen anything.

Pretty sure it's optional per each school.

Ivytalk
March 13th, 2020, 08:00 PM
You guys suck
But you guys suck-a-more!xnodx

SUPharmacist
March 13th, 2020, 10:07 PM
Not really. My post was actually directed at the topic at large and has direct application to the world of sports/athletics and in particular college athletics. And I do not consider it garbage either. In fact, this "garbage" as you say is chocked full of the realities that affect football.

Since this is my third post overall, could you be so kind as to tell me what one is allowed to post here? If you could I will be most grateful.

There are segments of your post that fit here, but when you get into Trump and Sanders (regardless of your own personal opinions) that is where your post starts to belong more in the political board. There is so much crossover on the topic it is understandable to try and bring politics into the discussion (policies from the current administration or those proposed by other parties definitely impact this). But generally on the main FCS board members try to keep things neutral politically.

Personally I would have liked to see the NCAA try to reschedule some of these activities. As far as things that relate directly to FCS football, such as spring football, most are being decided at the school level (or by individual states for public universities). I am definitely curious to see what impact the budget shortfall from a missing bball tourney will have, but their likely will be a big budget impact at schools from the overall economy as well.

Redbird 4th & short
March 14th, 2020, 08:57 AM

my bad not realizing this was your 3rd post .. seriously. I should have more constructively directed you to the Poli Board. I take it back.

xpeacex

Redbird 4th & short
March 14th, 2020, 09:00 AM
But you guys suck-a-more!xnodx
good to have things back to "normal" !!!

https://media.makeameme.org/created/i-used-an-5b835e.jpg

https://makeameme.org/images/app-store-download.png (https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1220843834?pt=118610755&ct=MemePage&mt=8)

Meme Generator (https://makeameme.org/memegenerator)

I USED AN ABBY SOMETHING BRAIN... - YES!! IT WAS ABBY NORMAL!!

Check out all our blank memes (https://makeameme.org/characters)

report this image (https://makeameme.org/meme/i-used-an-5b835e#)

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 14th, 2020, 10:15 AM
I'm surprised they had spring ball at all. Wouldn't that take away study time for finals?

Ivytalk
March 14th, 2020, 07:52 PM
I'm surprised they had spring ball at all. Wouldn't that take away study time for finals?
Maybe for your “Fertile” brain, but not for the Ivies.xcoolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 15th, 2020, 10:33 AM
Maybe for your “Fertile” brain, but not for the Ivies.xcoolx

But the FCS playoffs takes away study time for finals. At least the snob elites should be consistent.