PDA

View Full Version : Challace McMillin, Father of JMU Football, Dies at 77

Derby City Duke
March 8th, 2020, 08:43 PM
His impact was felt far beyond the field by thousands of JMU students. Would be on JMU's Athletics Mt. Rushmore (non-player version). Sad, sad day in Harrisonburg.

https://jmusports.com/news/2020/3/8/jmu-mourns-the-passing-of-hall-of-fame-football-coach-challace-mcmillin.aspx

grayghost06
March 9th, 2020, 11:53 AM
In 1979, with only a 6 year DIII varsity football history, an ambitious JMU squad travelled to Charlottesville and was trounced by UVA 69-9. Three years later, and now competing at the I-AA level, Coach McMillin again took his Dukes over the mountains. This time, JMU triumphed over the I-A squad, who had a 90 year football head start on us and tons of money to spend on it. It was a great day for our fledgling program and I was fortunate to witness it in person.

After being relieved of his duties after the 1984 season, Coach McMillin stayed on at JMU. Earning his doctorate degree in Sports Psychology, he continued on as both a professor and sports psychologist at Madison. To his last day, he kept up with the lives of most of his former players and was an active part of every football squad through the 2019 season. The Challace J McMillin Center for Sports Psychology and the McMillin Academic Center are both named for him. He will be sadly missed.

Herdistheword
March 9th, 2020, 02:38 PM
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he will forever be one of the lead characters in the story of JMU football.