PDA

View Full Version : Drake's Ash tells players he's leaving

Reed Rothchild
June 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070609/SPORTS020402/70609016/1003/SPORTS

Drake football coach Rob Ash told his players today that he's accepted the head coaching job at Montana State, running back Scott Phaydavong told the Register.

Ash coached the Bulldogs for 18 seasons. Montana State officials said they will introduce their new coach at noon Monday.

Ash was one of four finalists who interviewed in Bozeman, Mont., this week. Two of the other finalists reportedly pulled out of the running.

PSUVikings
June 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Whoa!!!! MSU has a coach!

BearsCountry
June 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I'm suprised Ash stuck around Drake as long as he did. MSU is getting a good coach.

CatFan22
June 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM
So whoever knows, can you tell us what kind of system Ash runs there (offense/defense).

Model Citizen
June 9th, 2007, 09:21 PM
So whoever knows, can you tell us what kind of system Ash runs there (offense/defense).

Multiple offense, with plays called to suit his personnel. He likes a mobile quarterback...someone like Ira Vandever from a few years ago, who can scramble, throw on the run, or execute quarterback draws. Option is also a part of his playbook, though we haven't seen much of it lately.

Drake has set school season rushing records the past four years, so he's not opposed to playing smashmouth either. But he's a former quarterback himself, and he's Drake's receiver coach, so he's got lots of tricks in his bag.

Defense is a 4-3. I don't think he's involved nearly as much on that side.

MplsBison
June 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I don't think there would be any pressure to continue running a 3-4, would there?

catbob
June 9th, 2007, 11:22 PM
We more run a 3-3-5 flex right now. Ash was quoted in the forum that he knows this team is good and would try and adjust to that, at least for now.

I hope he keeps our DC and OL coach, at the very least.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2007, 07:16 AM
New coach for Montana St...

Ash to be Bobcats' 31st football coach
By SCOTT MANSCH
Tribune Asst. Sports Editor

Come Monday, the Montana State Bobcats will have a new football coach.

Drake's Rob Ash will be announced as MSU's 31st head coach at a Monday morning press conference at Bobcat Stadium.

That news ended another tumultuous day for Montana State fans, who Friday learned that Mike Van Diest of Carroll College withdrew from consideration. On Saturday, Dale Lennon of North Dakota announced he was also staying put.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610/SPORTS/706100349

appfan2008
June 10th, 2007, 07:20 AM
congrats msu on getting yourself a new coach... good luck down the road and in the future

Reed Rothchild
June 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Ash is very well respected and a big contributor to the Des Moines community. MSU is getting a great coach and an even better person. Drake will have a tough time getting someone half as good as him.

JALMOND
June 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM
We more run a 3-3-5 flex right now. Ash was quoted in the forum that he knows this team is good and would try and adjust to that, at least for now.

I hope he keeps our DC and OL coach, at the very least.

This late in the year, might be better for the coach to adjust instead of the team. Interesting that the Carroll coach withdrew. Anyone know why? The saga continues...

MplsBison
June 10th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Maybe he really wants the UM job?

HI54UNI
June 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Here's another article:

http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2007/06/10/latest_news/doc466c9871c9eb7837663536.txt

Bobcat in NC
June 11th, 2007, 06:09 AM
This late in the year, might be better for the coach to adjust instead of the team. Interesting that the Carroll coach withdrew. Anyone know why? The saga continues...

Honestly, there may be more than one answer (and I'm not discounting MplsBison's opinion, as that may have something to so with it). I think that the combination of the time of year (doesn't want to "abandon" his guys), his love for Carroll (I don't think he's hurting financially by staying there) and the fact that his son's a player there probably all had something to do with the decision. He also may not be a fan of cleaning up a mess like the one in Bozeman and may not be a fan of the AD.

I'm looking at it as a "don't know, don't care" situation at this point and throwing my support completely behind Coach Ash. xthumbsupx

GtFllsGriz
June 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Congratulations to the Cats. It sounds like they got a quality guy on many levels.