PDA

View Full Version : UM QB Jason Washington kicked off team

DuckDuckGriz
June 9th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Don't piss Bobby off. xrolleyesx

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/06/09/sports/sports02.txt

aggie6thman
June 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM
From that article it seems as though there is a little more beneath the surface. Interesting. This won't affect anything for the Griz right?

DuckDuckGriz
June 9th, 2007, 07:09 PM
From that article it seems as though there is a little more beneath the surface. Interesting. This won't affect anything for the Griz right?

It shouldn't. Jason hasn't had really any playing time since 2005 - and even then he was basically pushed aside after being ineffective (and getting injured) for Cole Bergquist - who is slated to start this year anyway.

Grizalltheway
June 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Bobby's a decent coach, but I won't exactly be disappointed to seem him walk after his contract is up next year, especially since MVD will be available. xtwocentsx

already123
June 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
sucks. I think there is more behind it than we are being told...

blackfordpu
June 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
seems to me that the UM coach needs to grow up.

catdaddy2402
June 9th, 2007, 10:12 PM
“The only reason I was kicked off the team was - and I quote Bobby's word - I was ‘defiant,' ” Washington said. “I was like, ‘Defiant? What's your definition of defiant?'

“He said, ‘Not doing what I say.' ”

Seems like a good enough reason to me.

Tribe4SF
June 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
There can't be too much more behind it or he wouldn't be keeping his scholarship. Very unusual for someone to be kicked off the team and keep their scholarship.

Peems
June 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM
just another fumble in the PR department for hauck. When there were rumors that Craig Chambers was kicked off, instead of coming out and answering whether or not he was on the team, he sidestepped the issue until we actually saw chambers on the sideline of spring ball. Jason Washington was the definition of what an upstanding citizen should be. Football speaking this doesn't do a thing to the griz. PR wise it's bad because of how great a person Jason is and how it was handled

catbob
June 9th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Well, from what I understand, Ash likes a mobile QB... ;)

Peems
June 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Well, from what I understand, Ash likes a mobile QB... ;)

aaaaahh nightmare!!!xlolxxlolxxlolx But Jason isn't going anywhere since he has his scholarship still and has a booming business in Missoula and is involved with the community. It's just too bad he was treated this way, after all he has done for the U and for Missoula

Keeper
June 10th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Coach must have heard it's Griz Month at AGS
and wanted to get the action going. xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
June 10th, 2007, 07:24 AM
silly and sad story... defiance does seem like a good reason to me but i wish they could tell us everything... good luck to what sounds like a good kid in the future

VictorG
June 10th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I saw this coming months ago. IMO it was just a business move and happens all the time at all levels of football. I like Jason W. and I think he is a fine young man and I hope he has a wonderful future. But.....

Washington is a 5th year Senior and wasn't going to see the field again this year at QB and was moved to receiver (new position) where he was buried so deep in the depth charts he wouldn't even get to hold the clip board. This may have been different had he not been in the last year of eligibility but in the position he is in, he could contribute very, very little to the football team now and even less in the future.

Bobby did what a lot of coaches do and that is to open up a spot on the team for someone who can contribute. Didn't anyone else find it interesting that a day or two after we learned Washington was off the team we all learned of another walk-on! Personally, I don't find this coincidental.

I'm glad Washington gets to keep his scollie for his last year. He wasn't going to see the field as a player so it was time for him to move on anyway. I'm also glad we have a new walk-on who may develop into a player for us. I see it as a win/win situation. This type of action may reside on the "dark" side of the duties coaches have to do, but it had to be done.

But, that's just my opinion.

Tribe4SF
June 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I saw this coming months ago. IMO it was just a business move and happens all the time at all levels of football. I like Jason W. and I think he is a fine young man and I hope he has a wonderful future. But.....

Washington is a 5th year Senior and wasn't going to see the field again this year at QB and was moved to receiver (new position) where he was buried so deep in the depth charts he wouldn't even get to hold the clip board. This may have been different had he not been in the last year of eligibility but in the position he is in, he could contribute very, very little to the football team now and even less in the future.

Bobby did what a lot of coaches do and that is to open up a spot on the team for someone who can contribute. Didn't anyone else find it interesting that a day or two after we learned Washington was off the team we all learned of another walk-on! Personally, I don't find this coincidental.

I'm glad Washington gets to keep his scollie for his last year. He wasn't going to see the field as a player so it was time for him to move on anyway. I'm also glad we have a new walk-on who may develop into a player for us. I see it as a win/win situation. This type of action may reside on the "dark" side of the duties coaches have to do, but it had to be done.

But, that's just my opinion.

I'm sorry, but if that was the rationale, and it were my coach, I'd be calling for his head. If "the dark side" of a coach's duties includes jettisoning scholarship players who don't look to get alot of playing time, then that coach should not be involved in collegiate athletics.

What makes you think getting rid of this kid "opened a spot for a walk-on"? Even if Washington wasn't invited to camp, he could have joined the team when school opened. The kid said he wanted to be part of the team.

Frankly, this sounds like an absurd situation to result in dismissal from the team. It did not "have to be done".

SeattleGriz
June 10th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Don't piss Bobby off. xrolleyesx

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/06/09/sports/sports02.txt

How much of Bobby's zero tolerance attitude is instilled by his brother Tim? Since Tim was in the NFL for 13 seasons, I am sure he saw his fair share of players that were not helpful to team chemistry, so I have to wonder if those stories have any effect of Bobby.

Or, maybe he is trying to distance himself from any sort of history with Neuheisel.

Tribe4SF
June 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM
How much of Bobby's zero tolerance attitude is instilled by his brother Tim? Since Tim was in the NFL for 13 seasons, I am sure he saw his fair share of players that were not helpful to team chemistry, so I have to wonder if those stories have any effect of Bobby.

Or, maybe he is trying to distance himself from any sort of history with Neuheisel.

By getting rid of what appears to be a model citizen?xeyebrowx

And an injured one, at that?xnonono2x

Tailbone
June 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
On the other hand.......

I had an employee who did what was necessary to get fired so that:

1) He wouldn't have to explain to his parents why he "quit" (after his parents insisted he work for the summer).
2) He could still collect unemployment.
3) He could go to the lake with his buddies rather than work his scheduled hours.

I'm not suggesting that this is what happened with Mr. Washington but:

1) His uncle is Gene washington (NFL). JW doesn't have to explain quitting, as he didn't quit.
2) JW, as has been stated, would never have seen the field again, and probably didn't see the point in working his ass off for the sake of the charade.
3) He has a growing business in its infancy that will require his undivided attention if it is going to survive.
4) He still gets his education paid for as he is still on scholarship (may be paid for by Grizzly Scholarship Assoc. and not UM - which frees up a scholarship for a contributing athlete). Kind of a win-win for all concerned.

I think it unwise to jump to conclusions based on speculation, particularly in the absence of any meaningful information as to what actually transpired.

Cleets
June 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Exactly what I was thinking...
It's sometimes important to sacrafice a player in order to show the team... "Zero B.S. in this house"

especially if that player is not contributing and is "defiant" ...

The Griz run a clean program... xrotatehx that's my spin..!!! xlolx

Tailbone
June 10th, 2007, 01:27 PM
It's sometimes important to sacrafice a player in order to show the team... "Zero B.S. in this house".....

Also, coach Kramer (Montana State) felt that his players and assistants "were adults" and therefore responsible for their own actions - an attitude that some feel contributed to the problems in Bozeman.
While some might feel that coach Hauck's response to JW's "defiance" was an overreaction, others might perceive it as a statement that "there will be NO crap in Missoula".

Cleets
June 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Also, coach Kramer (Montana State) felt that his players and assistants "were adults" and therefore responsible for their own actions - an attitude that some feel contributed to the problems in Bozeman.
While some might feel that coach Hauck's response to JW's "defiance" was an overreaction, others might perceive it as a statement that "there will be NO crap in Missoula".

Bingo..!
A preemptive strike (if you will)

already123
June 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hey, was Washington even that good in the first place?? I only got to see him play once or twice...

Tribe4SF
June 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
On the other hand.......

I had an employee who did what was necessary to get fired so that:

1) He wouldn't have to explain to his parents why he "quit" (after his parents insisted he work for the summer).
2) He could still collect unemployment.
3) He could go to the lake with his buddies rather than work his scheduled hours.

I'm not suggesting that this is what happened with Mr. Washington but:

1) His uncle is Gene washington (NFL). JW doesn't have to explain quitting, as he didn't quit.
2) JW, as has been stated, would never have seen the field again, and probably didn't see the point in working his ass off for the sake of the charade.
3) He has a growing business in its infancy that will require his undivided attention if it is going to survive.
4) He still gets his education paid for as he is still on scholarship (may be paid for by Grizzly Scholarship Assoc. and not UM - which frees up a scholarship for a contributing athlete). Kind of a win-win for all concerned.

I think it unwise to jump to conclusions based on speculation, particularly in the absence of any meaningful information as to what actually transpired.

You should be a politician!xlolx

"I'm not saying.....BUT".xrolleyesx

Hauck is fortunate to have a group of koolaid drinkers like you guys. As to whether he's still a counter or not, I don't know. It will be interesting if no other players commit more serious infractions and remain on the team. Missing a session of any kind out of season is a frequent occurence in college athletics. And when there's an injury involved, a student's rights come front and center.

Maverick
June 10th, 2007, 04:46 PM
If he has eligibility left and he is on scholarship, he still counts. If he cannot continue due to medical reasons, he can have the scholarship and not count. It doesn't matter if his aid is from athletics or the Griz foundation if it raises athletic money, he is a counter so no scholarship is freed. As to walk-ons there is no NCAA limit, but some programs have squad size limits which may explain why Washington's departure frees up a place on the squad.

SeattleGriz
June 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM
You should be a politician!xlolx

"I'm not saying.....BUT".xrolleyesx

Hauck is fortunate to have a group of koolaid drinkers like you guys. As to whether he's still a counter or not, I don't know. It will be interesting if no other players commit more serious infractions and remain on the team. Missing a session of any kind out of season is a frequent occurence in college athletics. And when there's an injury involved, a student's rights come front and center.

Whats really sad about all this, is that the FBS absolutely crushes the FCS when it comes to infractions that are allowed to happen. Can you imagine what happens at the Floridas and Ohio States of the world?

Grizo406
June 10th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Hey, was Washington even that good in the first place?? I only got to see him play once or twice...

He's a great guy, and has added a lot to the Missoula community, but player wise, at QB, he was in way over his head.xtwocentsx

already123
June 10th, 2007, 06:28 PM
ah...

Peems
June 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Booo Bobby Hauck. Hooray Jason Washington!

http://www.offthewallonline.com/images-paperboy/03-05/red-stripe.jpg

Tribe4SF
June 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Bumping this up for comparison to the current discussion regarding the murder investigation.

Read the quotes here regarding "Don't piss Bobby off", "there will be no crap taken in Missoula"...etc.

Hammered the guy who's a model citizen, but doesn't look to play much, and kept the guy who was pulling guns on people, but was a potential All-American. xthumbsdownx Hauck appears to be part of the odor emanating from Missoula.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
I can't wait for Hauck to leave Missoula. I like watching the Griz, but enjoyed the way their program was run in the past.

DuckDuckGriz
June 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
I agree. It might be far fetched but Washington was not that good of a player, atleast I know in Bobby's eyes especially since he was stripped of his starting spot back in `05. He may have just wanted an excuse to not have any pressure of putting him in.

Quinton Jacksona and Jimmy Wilson on the other hand were absolutely detrimental to the Griz defense.

My opinion of Bobby is up and down. He's a good coach as far as Xs and Os, but when it comes to people skills the guy can be a d!ck.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
I agree. It might be far fetched but Washington was not that good of a player, atleast I know in Bobby's eyes especially since he was stripped of his starting spot back in `05. He may have just wanted an excuse to not have any pressure of putting him in.

Quinton Jacksona and Jimmy Wilson on the other hand were absolutely detrimental to the Griz defense.

My opinion of Bobby is up and down. He's a good coach as far as Xs and Os, but when it comes to people skills the guy can be a d!ck.

well stated. xthumbsupx