PDA

View Full Version : MEAC Commits to Playoffs - No Split

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Thank goodness! No split means no championship game and no missing the playoffs. Even better, the MEAC will take on a seven or eight game schedule similar to the Big Ten and not take on any ridiculous mandate similar to the one the SWAC is abolishing after this season.
-------------------------------------
MEAC football won't split
Daily Press
June 6, 2007, 5:35 PM EDT
Hampton football coach Joe Taylor said the MEAC has rejected splitting into divisions and playing a championship game when Winston-Salem State becomes eligible for conference play in 2010. Instead, the conference will adopt a seven- or eight-game conference schedule similar to the Big Ten's.

Taylor said MEAC Commissioner Dennis Thomas wants to ensure rivalries stay intact under the new format, so Norfolk State will remain an annual fixture on the Pirates' schedule. Taylor added that the New York Urban League Classic definitely will not be played this season.

HU played annually in the Classic – held at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. – for almost 20 years. Taylor said the game committee could not offer an attractive enough financial package for the Pirates to commit to it this season.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-now-meac666,0,5618544.story?track=rss

AppGuy04
June 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
As long as Hampton and SCSU playxthumbsupx

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM
As long as Hampton and SCSU playxthumbsupx

Who is to say that those two teams won't fall or (most likely scenario) be joined by some other MEAC schools at the top of the league? Florida A&M or Bethune-Cookman are the most likely to 'crash' the party. We'll see...

GAD
June 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Kool

813Jag
June 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Who is to say that those two teams won't fall or (most likely scenario) be joined by some other MEAC schools at the top of the league? Florida A&M or Bethune-Cookman are the most likely to 'crash' the party. We'll see...
I agree, every league goes thru cycles. It wasn't too long ago that S.C. State wasn't at the top of the MEAC. I think Bethune-Cookman has some work to do to rise to the top of the league. I think the Wyatt bone is done unless they have a capable QB.

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
good to hear. always want more teams trying to compete.

Fresno St. Alum
June 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
If we could only get the IVY into the playoff mix

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 03:50 PM

...and the SWAC, and get non scholly teams to offer some more support and get competitive.

MplsBison
June 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Ivy should be forced down to DIII with UChicago, Washington St Louis, Emory, etc.

Get the hell out of our division if you won't commit to athletic competitiveness!

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
wish we could do the same with the pfl and maac...although I'd rather they make the commitment. I'd love to see Drake compete with us. 40+ point wins get old.

Franks Tanks
June 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Ivy should be forced down to DIII with UChicago, Washington St Louis, Emory, etc.

Get the hell out of our division if you won't commit to athletic competitiveness!

You have no idea what your talking about. The Ivies attract lot of talented FB players and field very solid teams, just look at NFL rosters dotted with kids from the Ivies. You have former pro bowlers like Matt Birk, and Marcelus Wiley. Guys like Finn on the Giants, Sean Morey of the Steelers (I believe), Jay Fiedler, Isiak Kasivinski jsut to name a very few off the top of my head. How may guys from NDSU are currently on NFL rosters?