PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2020 Combine - FCS player results

Redbird 4th & short
February 29th, 2020, 09:33 AM
After 2 days of Combine .. Thursday was for QB, WR, and TE groups. Friday was for RB, OL, special teams groups:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker#day=friday

ISUr RB James Robinson struggled in forty, but did surprisingly well everywhere else, including agility runs. His weight is down to 219, which is pretty light for him, considering he came to ISU as true FR weight 230, and played closer to 225 lbs.

He ran a 4.64 forty, which was way down the rankings list. But he finished 2nd in vertical (40"), tied for 3rd in bench (24) and 20 yd shuttle (4.19), a close 5th in 3 cone with big dropoff after him, tied for 5th in broad jump. Unlike many RBs, he only skipped the 60 yd shuttle .. which everyone skipped.

Here's Robinsons day compared to WR group who ran Thursday:

- for his 4.19 20 yd shuttle, he was 3rd among RBs but he would also have finished 3rd among WRs.

- for his 7.03 3-cone run, he was a close 5th among RBs and would have been a close 7th among WRs.

- his bench would have 1st and his vertical would have been a very close 2nd

Unfortunately, his forty will hurt him no doubt. in 2016, ISUr RB Marshaun Coprich ran a 4.47 forty which was top 5 for RBs ... and he barely got a sniff of NFL camps, but he was not nearly as strong/big as Robinson. And Robinson easily outdid Coprich in every other event, which really surprised me in the agility runs.

lionsrking2
February 29th, 2020, 12:25 PM
After 2 days of Combine .. Thursday was for QB, WR, and TE groups. Friday was for RB, OL, special teams groups:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker#day=friday

ISUr RB James Robinson struggled in forty, but did surprisingly well everywhere else, including agility runs. His weight is down to 219, which is pretty light for him, considering he came to ISU as true FR weight 230, and played closer to 225 lbs.

He ran a 4.64 forty, which was way down the rankings list. But he finished 2nd in vertical (40"), tied for 3rd in bench (24) and 20 yd shuttle (4.19), a close 5th in 3 cone with big dropoff after him, tied for 5th in broad jump. Unlike many RBs, he only skipped the 60 yd shuttle .. which everyone skipped.

Here's Robinsons day compared to WR group who ran Thursday:

- for his 4.19 20 yd shuttle, he was 3rd among RBs but he would also have finished 3rd among WRs.

- for his 7.03 3-cone run, he was a close 5th among RBs and would have been a close 7th among WRs.

- his bench would have 1st and his vertical would have been a very close 2nd

Unfortunately, his forty will hurt him no doubt. in 2016, ISUr RB Marshaun Coprich ran a 4.47 forty which was top 5 for RBs ... and he barely got a sniff of NFL camps, but he was not nearly as strong/big as Robinson. And Robinson easily outdid Coprich in every other event, which really surprised me in the agility runs.

The 40 is overrated for a running back. Obviously a 4.4 is more desirable than a 4.7, but ability to change direction, make people miss and burst is more advantageous than straight line speed. There are lots of good running backs in NFL history who couldn't break a 4.6, and there are plenty of examples guys who ran good 40's but couldn't survive at the position.

Redbird 4th & short
February 29th, 2020, 12:46 PM
very true lion ... in fact, I've read that the average forty time for RBs at the NFL combine is 4.49 over several years. But the average time for RBs on NFL rosters jumps to 4.59. Every position is going to show jumps like that, because ultimately, you have to be able to play the position well and avoid injuries. His agility and explosion/power was pretty evident with his combine results .. just doesn't have break away speed at next level. And we saw that with his 2 big plays during Shrine game, where he was caught from behind. His vision and patience will also improve his chances. But after initially looking like round 3-5, it is now looking more like he will be late round pick, or a very attractive UDFA who is likely to make a game roster if he finds the right team.

Herdistheword
February 29th, 2020, 09:16 PM
James Robinson did well. Derrek Tuszka did very well. Dante Olson had a fantastic vertical, but not sure on anything else yet.

Schism55
February 29th, 2020, 10:55 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1233930958056890368

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1233974740882280448

WestCoastAggie
March 1st, 2020, 09:14 AM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1233930958056890368

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1233974740882280448

I am so glad we won’t have to see Tuszka this fall.

Redbird 4th & short
March 1st, 2020, 10:52 AM
many good combine results overall for FCS players .. except for the forty results .. those did not help our FCS cause this year.

Schism55
March 1st, 2020, 12:21 PM
The Dayton TE and Portland St TE both did well too.
FCS players availed themselves very well imo.

grizband
March 1st, 2020, 01:11 PM
many good combine results overall for FCS players .. except for the forty results .. those did not help our FCS cause this year.
If their 40 times were much faster, they may not have been on an FCS roster.

Schism55
March 1st, 2020, 01:24 PM
https://twitter.com/HEROSportsFCS/status/1234197535293657090

Herdistheword
March 1st, 2020, 03:40 PM
Jeremy Chinn just rocked the broad and vertical jumps, especially at his size. All results aren’t posted yet, but he has a good shot to be top 10. I believe he was 8th in the bench press too. FCS measuring up so far!

Edit: He just posted a 4.46 40yd. He is truly a freak.

Redbird 4th & short
March 1st, 2020, 04:13 PM
If their 40 times were much faster, they may not have been on an FCS roster.

true dat

Redbird 4th & short
March 1st, 2020, 04:20 PM
https://twitter.com/HEROSportsFCS/status/1234197535293657090

very good article and perspective on FCS performance this year. What surprised me some is only 12 FCS players were invited to combine out of 337 total. Assumed it was higher number ... but makes their collective performance even more impressive, as many of them impressed with top 5 and 10 results in many of their events.

Redbird 4th & short
March 2nd, 2020, 09:04 AM
Chinn rocked his events, but skipped the agility runs ... 3 cone and 20 yd shuttle.

technocat
March 2nd, 2020, 11:19 AM
I always wonder about the 40 and bench press. I've seen too many stories about players training specifically to test well and it not translating to the actual games. They are also so subjective to how a player is feeling on that particular day. Did they get enough sleep, are they wore out from being hopped up on adrenaline from being there, do they have a slight cold, did they cut themselves on a piece of equipment?...

Bisonator
March 2nd, 2020, 11:50 AM
A lot of these combine metrics are stupid especially relating to different positions. They don't call it the underwear Olympics for nothing. The smarter coaches and gm's rely more on the tape then some numbers from the combine. I think the interviews are probably the most important aspect.

Herdistheword
March 2nd, 2020, 12:30 PM
I always wonder about the 40 and bench press. I've seen too many stories about players training specifically to test well and it not translating to the actual games. They are also so subjective to how a player is feeling on that particular day. Did they get enough sleep, are they wore out from being hopped up on adrenaline from being there, do they have a slight cold, did they cut themselves on a piece of equipment?...

The agility drills for a historically great WR class were disappointing this year. Having the WR run agility drills at 11pm (estimated) may have had something to do with it....The NFL really got the combine wrong this year. It wasn’t about showcasing the athletes. It was about trying to create another profit-driven event (by putting it in primetime). Honestly, testing well or bad isn’t the end-all-be-all, but there are certain marks that can be red flags for some positions and for the relatively overlooked guys, a good score can certainly get more eyeballs on their tape.

Redbird 4th & short
March 3rd, 2020, 12:15 AM
so turns out, just 5 of 26 Safeties did the 3 cone and 6 of 26 did the 20 yd shuttle ... maybe that's the norm for Safeties, because they don't want to be embarrassed by the Corners.

So Chinn did what most of them did and still dominated his events.

POD Knows
March 3rd, 2020, 05:53 AM
so turns out, just 5 of 26 Safeties did the 3 cone and 6 of 26 did the 20 yd shuttle ... maybe that's the norm for Safeties, because they don't want to be embarrassed by the Corners.

So Chinn did what most of them did and still dominated his events.This Chinn guy can ball, I would expect that he gets drafted.

Redbird 4th & short
March 3rd, 2020, 07:39 AM
This Chinn guy can ball, I would expect that he gets drafted.

i read his NFL combine scouting report .. according to this, he is considered very physically ready, but doesn't play or know the position well enough. Instincts arent there when he has to make decisions in space. Very effective once he knows what to do. So he might be viewed as a project, when it comes to learning position at NFL level. They just scout weaknesses so well at that level. But there is no doubt his body is ready for NFL.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jeremy-chinn?id=32194348-4965-0621-179b-1e6fa9b75e74

Strengths

NFL frame with good size, length and muscle composition
Speed for sharper pursuit angles
Leverages ball-carrier against sideline in the alley
Bodies up and unfurls length when wrapping up
Aggressive stack and shed to rid blockers
Plays with hustle from the backside
Footwork and athleticism of a big cornerback
Above-average closing burst and recovery speed
Excellent ball production and is disruptive at catch point
Will take the ball away when he gets his shot

Weaknesses

Not as instinctive as he needs to be
Eye-balance needs improvement
Plays through a straw when asked to cover, losing play development around him
Football IQ is below average at this time
Bait routes pull him out of deep coverage duties
Could struggle in digesting combo routes
Slow to read keys and flow to football from the box
Will need to eliminate head-ducking as chop-down tackler

Bisonoline
March 4th, 2020, 12:22 AM

If you read how the combine is run you learn that everything is done to stress the athlete. Plane arrival times to hotel check ins and interviews are scheduled to not allow a lot of rest. Its a test for them to keep jacked up and to stay mentally focused.