PDA

View Full Version : SMU Schedules TxSt-SM and Sam in 2006

TexasTerror
August 14th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Here's an excerpt from a story about SMU scheduling both Texas State Univ - San Marcos and the Sam Houston State football teams in 2006.

---------
SMU craves an early win
Mustangs have been hurt out of the gate by rough September foes
03:14 AM CDT on Sunday, August 14, 2005
By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

Bennett said SMU was overscheduled in nonconference play in previous years. It's one thing to play a rival such as TCU, where the possibility of being in a competitive game is possible. But it's difficult to play against ranked opponents such as Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and former Southwest Conference rival Arkansas.

The schedule remains tough this season. SMU plays host to TCU on Sept. 10 before traveling to Texas A&M on Sept. 17 and returning home for its Conference USA opener against Tulane on Sept. 24. Tulane and TCU each come off of losing seasons.

But future schedules have more competitive balance. Texas Tech is on the schedule: the Mustangs visit Lubbock next season, and TCU remains on nonconference schedules.

In 2006, the Mustangs will play Sun Belt conference teams North Texas and Arkansas State and host I-AA opponents Texas State and Sam Houston State.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/smu/stories/081405dnsposmulede.2be66ba.html

For more I-AA/SHSU talk:
http://www.katfans.com

blackfordpu
August 14th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Here's an excerpt from a story about SMU scheduling both Texas State Univ - San Marcos and the Sam Houston State football teams in 2006.

---------
SMU craves an early win
Mustangs have been hurt out of the gate by rough September foes
03:14 AM CDT on Sunday, August 14, 2005
By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

Bennett said SMU was overscheduled in nonconference play in previous years. It's one thing to play a rival such as TCU, where the possibility of being in a competitive game is possible. But it's difficult to play against ranked opponents such as Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and former Southwest Conference rival Arkansas.

The schedule remains tough this season. SMU plays host to TCU on Sept. 10 before traveling to Texas A&M on Sept. 17 and returning home for its Conference USA opener against Tulane on Sept. 24. Tulane and TCU each come off of losing seasons.

But future schedules have more competitive balance. Texas Tech is on the schedule: the Mustangs visit Lubbock next season, and TCU remains on nonconference schedules.

In 2006, the Mustangs will play Sun Belt conference teams North Texas and Arkansas State and host I-AA opponents Texas State and Sam Houston State.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/smu/stories/081405dnsposmulede.2be66ba.html

For more I-AA/SHSU talk:
http://www.katfans.com

They sound confident that they will get a win over the Kats and Tx State. Why do they think it will come so easy? I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they get "upset" by SHSU. :)

TxSt02
August 14th, 2005, 02:28 PM
They sound confident that they will get a win over the Kats and Tx State. Why do they think it will come so easy? I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they get "upset" by SHSU. :)

I want the SLC sweep!

blackfordpu
August 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I want the SLC sweep!

That would be nice too. Actually, I would laugh my a$$ off if they lost all four of the "easy, winnable" games they have scheduled. :)

kats89
August 14th, 2005, 06:58 PM
That would be nice too. Actually, I would laugh my a$$ off if they lost all four of the "easy, winnable" games they have scheduled. :)
Do ya'll really think it would be an upset if we beat SMU? I don't. However it would be a win against a I-A.

KnuckleStang
August 15th, 2005, 02:54 PM
You're right, there are some Pony fans who scoff at the idea of playing SHSU and TexSt, because they feel the "easy wins" are below us. But the intelligent ones know better. I have always thought that if you're going to play a 1-AA team, make sure they suck, so there's no chance you lose. Isn't that the whole point of 1-AA scheduling? Tex. St. doesn't suck, and SHSU really, really doesn't suck. I question the SMU AD's judgement in the scheduling of SHSU especially. I saw what William & Mary almost did to freaking North Carolina last year.

That said, I think all the article was saying was that SMU has a better CHANCE of beating SHSU, et al, than they do Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, or Texas A&M. And that was the whole point of scheduling 1-AA teams, so you would have somebody you have a CHANCE to beat. Hopefully no one on this board has a problem with that logic.

Good luck to y'all this year in the Southland. See ya in '06.

kats89
August 15th, 2005, 05:43 PM
You're right, there are some Pony fans who scoff at the idea of playing SHSU and TexSt, because they feel the "easy wins" are below us. But the intelligent ones know better. I have always thought that if you're going to play a 1-AA team, make sure they suck, so there's no chance you lose. Isn't that the whole point of 1-AA scheduling? Tex. St. doesn't suck, and SHSU really, really doesn't suck. I question the SMU AD's judgement in the scheduling of SHSU especially. I saw what William & Mary almost did to freaking North Carolina last year.

That said, I think all the article was saying was that SMU has a better CHANCE of beating SHSU, et al, than they do Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, or Texas A&M. And that was the whole point of scheduling 1-AA teams, so you would have somebody you have a CHANCE to beat. Hopefully no one on this board has a problem with that logic.

Good luck to y'all this year in the Southland. See ya in '06.

Maybe the SMU AD needs to look to move to the Southland so he can compete, because it is obvious they can't compete at the level they are currently in.

KnuckleStang
August 15th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah...I'd wait and see how the Stangs do this year and next before I make any judgements about their ability to compete in 1-A. But I do agree the last 16 years support your statement. I'm an eternal optimist, I guess.

I'd like to see SHSU beat the Coogs this year. Is that the only 1-A team y'all are playing in '05? Who else are y'all playing OOC? Anyway, good luck against those guys. But not good luck against us. Hopefully in '06 we'll have matured some, and actually be good enough to beat you. If not it'll be a long day.