PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota laughs at the Ivies

Go Green
February 21st, 2020, 10:35 AM
https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/4962182-Kolpack-NDSUs-high-GPA-an-example-to-Ivys-that-football-and-school-do-mix

That said... hard to argue with anything in here.

:(:(:(

Professor Chaos
February 21st, 2020, 11:10 AM
Good substance to that article. But I don't know if the Ivy's aversion towards the FCS playoffs is because they're living in the past as the article insinuates or because they don't want to "lower themselves" to competing with the participants of the FCS playoffs. There's a reason why they're willing to put academic concerns aside to compete in the NCAA basketball tournament but not for the FCS playoffs.

Bisonoline
February 21st, 2020, 11:16 AM
https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/4962182-Kolpack-NDSUs-high-GPA-an-example-to-Ivys-that-football-and-school-do-mix

Im surprised the Ivies have basketball teams considering they play twice as many games as FB in the regular season. Then add post season play and you would think the presidents would be having heart attacks.

bulldog10jw
February 21st, 2020, 11:22 AM
Im surprised the Ivies have basketball teams considering they play twice as many games as FB in the regular season. Then add post season play and you would think the presidents would be having heart attacks.

Hockey and LAX are even worse since Ivy teams can actually go pretty far in the postseason

Outsider1
February 21st, 2020, 12:12 PM
1) Kuddos to NDSU for their football GPA and number of players to make the list. It is an accomplishment worth recognizing. Not a lot of schools can say that regardless of dividion. 2) I agree with the question of why would football be different. I don't have the answer, although I have various suspisions. Maybe it will change. The Ivies do bring good things to the table.

ccd494
February 21st, 2020, 12:53 PM
Harvard doesn't measure itself against North Dakota State or Eastern Washington.

Go Green
February 21st, 2020, 01:00 PM
Harvard doesn't measure itself against North Dakota State or Eastern Washington.

But they do against San Diego?

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/fball/2019-20/releases/20190921tor3zr

FormerPokeCenter
February 21st, 2020, 01:00 PM
Harvard doesn't measure itself .

Fixed your post...

Bisonator
February 21st, 2020, 01:03 PM
The question is why do they allow post season play in every sport except FB? It clearly has nothing to do with academics.

ElCid
February 21st, 2020, 01:13 PM
The question is why do they allow post season play in every sport except FB? It clearly has nothing to do with academics.

Ingrained disdain for football?

Baron Sardonicus
February 21st, 2020, 01:18 PM
A few anecdotal things I've heard over the years, which may or may not be true...

--NDSU's football team has a few really good students.

--It's not difficult to get a 3.0 at most schools. That includes NDSU.

--Making grades in the Ivy League (https://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/9/10/6132411/chart-grade-inflation-in-the-ivy-league-over-time) may be even easier. If you can get in, they want you to stay. And while their football players don't get athletic scholarships (why bother, with all the other aid offered?), they do get admitted...all because the football coach wants them.

So what FCS school has the best mix of challenging academics and high achieving student-athletes?

The University of San Diego. :D

Redbird 4th & short
February 21st, 2020, 01:39 PM
It's simply a combination of false pride and a healthy fear of not measuring up consistently against FCS level teams. They had some good teams in 2018 ... but that was a peak season for them. Most years they would be a 1 or 2 bid league at best, that wouldn't win much in playoffs, much less advance very far.

It comes down to pride and fear.

uni88
February 21st, 2020, 01:44 PM
I don't think the Ivies care of North Dakota is laughing at them.

Ivytalk
February 21st, 2020, 02:01 PM
Interesting article. Not really laughing at the Ivies, but resurrecting the old Ivy FB playoff hypocrisy theme. The author suggests NDSU at Harvard. I’m all for that!xthumbsupx Then I could see my buds Winterborn and Bisonoline in New England.

Baron Sardonicus
February 21st, 2020, 02:01 PM
The Ivy League strives to be the best in everything.

Except the NCAA won't allow them to be in the highest football classification.

The football playoffs are not, and should not, be important to them.

FormerPokeCenter
February 21st, 2020, 02:12 PM
The Ivies are basically the gated community of the football playing world...the lack of playoff participation is akin to taking the kids to the gated community pool and playground instead of the public park where one might encounter the great unwashed masses.

JayJ79
February 21st, 2020, 02:22 PM
It's simply a combination of false pride and a healthy fear of not measuring up consistently against FCS level teams. They had some good teams in 2018 ... but that was a peak season for them. Most years they would be a 1 or 2 bid league at best, that wouldn't win much in playoffs, much less advance very far.

Ivy teams would get their butts kicked in the playoffs.
I mean sure, they'd probably get some cushy easy opponent in their first game, but wouldn't make it far once they faced real competition.

Bisonoline
February 21st, 2020, 02:51 PM
Interesting article. Not really laughing at the Ivies, but resurrecting the old Ivy FB playoff hypocrisy theme. The author suggests NDSU at Harvard. I’m all for that!xthumbsupx Then I could see my buds Winterborn and Bisonoline in New England.

I would love to make that trip!!!! Sign me up coach!!!!!

In 2021 we are playing Towson at Towson . So we will be coming out there again.

bonarae
February 21st, 2020, 03:00 PM
Ingrained disdain for football?

Yes. xsmhx

Agree on both.

My take: The 2021 vacant date filled by Towson is a prime example of the Ivies ducking themselves of just about every opportunity they play top-tier teams west of the Alleghenies and south of the Potomac.

Any over/under on when the Ivies will schedule loftier? xchinscratchx

uni88
February 21st, 2020, 03:01 PM
I would love to make that trip!!!! Sign me up coach!!!!!

In 2021 we are playing Towson at Towson . So we will be coming out there again.

xthumbsupx RV parking might be a little tight in Cambridge though.

Go Green
February 21st, 2020, 03:08 PM
My take: The 2021 vacant date filled by Towson is a prime example of the Ivies ducking themselves of just about every opportunity they play top-tier teams west of the Alleghenies and south of the Potomac.

Any over/under on when the Ivies will schedule loftier? xchinscratchx

Dartmouth is playing Towson in a return game this October.

But more to the point, Dartmouth's Teevens and Princeton's Surace both had to field questions last fall about why their respective schools were scheduling such weak-ass OOC teams. Both gave the standard "the games were scheduled 10 years ago and we thought they'd be better" response. The guess here is that both D and P turn it up a bit in the OOC scheduling, especially since Dartmouth hasn't lost an OOC game in about six years...

DFW HOYA
February 21st, 2020, 05:30 PM

I'd amend that to south of the Patapsco. Harvard isn't coming back to Washington anymore. For that matter, neither are a few other Ivy schools.

Redbird 4th & short
February 21st, 2020, 09:42 PM
I don't think the Ivies care of North Dakota is laughing at them.
Not sure that is true about the football players and coaches. It is pretty well known, most Ivy football coaches hate the policy and want to see it change. And i can't believe any football player worth a dime on the football field agrees with the no playoff policy. I am pretty sure they all hate it too. As a competitive kid, you just don't play sports all your life and get to the college level and not want a shot to prove yourself against th best there is. Doesn't matter whether it is in class room, playing field, or video games ... just no way they are ok with it. Just ask the Ivy league basketball players .. or every other Ivy sports teams .. except football.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 22nd, 2020, 05:02 AM
Kolpack for the Fargo Forum is a good writer and does an excellent job of covering Bison football. It was a good article.

I would love for NDSU to schedule a Harvard/Yale game and even a road game there to make it happen. I doubt they would come out to ND for a game though.

In one of their "normal years" they would get blown out but it would be competitive for awhile if they were in one of their better "years".

Redbird 4th & short
February 22nd, 2020, 08:32 AM
Kolpack for the Fargo Forum is a good writer and does an excellent job of covering Bison football. It was a good article.

I would love for NDSU to schedule a Harvard/Yale game and even a road game there to make it happen. I doubt they would come out to ND for a game though.

In one of their "normal years" they would get blown out but it would be competitive for awhile if they were in one of their better "years".

I agree.

Am curious if you think (like I do) that 2018 was their peak year for the top 3 or 4 Ivy teams, say over the last 10 years. And they may have gottten 3 bids that year and actually won a few games. But most other years, it would be 1 bid, maybe 2, and very few wins, much less playoff runs.

Obviously all speculation because .. well .. they refuse to participate in our FCS playoffs, like all other Ivy sports teams do.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 22nd, 2020, 09:18 AM
I agree.

Am curious if you think (like I do) that 2018 was their peak year for the top 3 or 4 Ivy teams, say over the last 10 years. And they may have gottten 3 bids that year and actually won a few games. But most other years, it would be 1 bid, maybe 2, and very few wins, much less playoff runs.

Obviously all speculation because .. well .. they refuse to participate in our FCS playoffs, like all other Ivy sports teams do.

Ivy games are on FoxSports up here and they had some good teams in '18.

I think most years the top Ivy teams would beat most FCS teams out of the top 15 or so....maybe more. Some Ivy teams in some years are really good. But watching these games every year, there is not one team that I have watched on TV that would beat the Bison ( just using my team as an example).

No Ivy team last year would have been within 3-4 TDs of the Bison and that is with the coaches taking the foot off the pedal.....IMO of course.

Redbird 4th & short
February 22nd, 2020, 10:44 AM

I think most years the top Ivy teams would beat most FCS teams out of the top 15 or so....maybe more. Some Ivy teams in some years are really good. But watching these games every year, there is not one team that I have watched on TV that would beat the Bison ( just using my team as an example).

No Ivy team last year would have been within 3-4 TDs of the Bison and that is with the coaches taking the foot off the pedal.....IMO of course.
So this year, Ivy's 2 best teams, that finished ranked in top 12 or so, were Dartmouth and Yale .. where do you think they have finished in MVFC. I'm thinking 4th or 5th place behind NDSU, SDSU, UNI .. since ISUr had a very uneven regular season. Including playoffs, I think they would have finished as 5th and 6th best teams .. and SIU would have been very competitive with them the 2nd half of regular season, when they heated up.

Curious of your thoughts ...

Herder
February 22nd, 2020, 10:58 AM
Good substance to that article. But I don't know if the Ivy's aversion towards the FCS playoffs is because they're living in the past as the article insinuates or because they don't want to "lower themselves" to competing with the participants of the FCS playoffs. There's a reason why they're willing to put academic concerns aside to compete in the NCAA basketball tournament but not for the FCS playoffs.

Yes, I agree with you, it's clearly arrogance vs FCS teams. I've said that all along. The rest of the stuff is excuses to cover for arrogance.

Herder
February 22nd, 2020, 11:06 AM
So this year, Ivy's 2 best teams, that finished ranked in top 12 or so, were Dartmouth and Yale .. where do you think they have finished in MVFC. I'm thinking 4th or 5th place behind NDSU, SDSU, UNI .. since ISUr had a very uneven regular season. Including playoffs, I think they would have finished as 5th and 6th best teams .. and SIU would have been very competitive with them the 2nd half of regular season, when they heated up.

Curious of your thoughts ...

Last . . . if forced to play MVFC teams, they'd vacate.

RichH2
February 22nd, 2020, 11:30 AM
Disdain and hypocrisy are certainly factors. Truth is if Harvard and Yale wanted to be in the playoffs the Ivies would be. Neither want that as it may distract from the primacy of their GAME which caps the Ivy season.

DFW HOYA
February 22nd, 2020, 12:19 PM
Disdain and hypocrisy are certainly factors. Truth is if Harvard and Yale wanted to be in the playoffs the Ivies would be. Neither want that as it may distract from the primacy of their GAME which caps the Ivy season.

The Army-Navy game is even more sacrosanct than Harvard-Yale; yet, the academies go to bowl games without any dire consequences to the value of the series.

cx500d
February 22nd, 2020, 12:28 PM
The Army-Navy game is even more sacrosanct than Harvard-Yale; yet, the academies go to bowl games without any dire consequences to the value of the series.

Bowl games are different, its one meaningless game vice a playoff series.

DFW HOYA
February 22nd, 2020, 12:35 PM
Bowl games are different, its one meaningless game vice a playoff series.

The playoffs are overrated and bowl games are underrated. A first round game of Bryant vs Yale draws 4,000 on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

And though the I-AA folks scoff at bowl games, they are a great recruiting tool. Telling recruits they're likely to travel to the Bahamas or California or Florida for a 13th game carries a lot more weight than arguing for a first round game game at Normal, IL or Durham, NH.

cx500d
February 22nd, 2020, 12:40 PM
The playoffs are overrated and bowl games are underrated. A first round game of Bryant vs Yale draws 4,000 on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

And though the I-AA folks scoff at bowl games, they are a great recruiting tool. Telling recruits they're likely to travel to the Bahamas or California or Florida for a 13th game carries a lot more weight than arguing for a first round game game at Normal, IL or Durham, NH.

Ha ha, that's funny, Bryant in the payoffs

FormerPokeCenter
February 22nd, 2020, 01:26 PM
Ha ha, that's funny, Bryant in the payoffs

You'd have to expand the field to let the Ivies in...

Sader87
February 22nd, 2020, 01:27 PM

This....and the continued domination of NDSU is basically devaluing the FCS playoffs by the year. Not sour grapes...I'd rather go to an FCS Bowl game than win the FCS playoffs. Serious as a hahhht attack. xdrunkyx

FormerPokeCenter
February 22nd, 2020, 01:30 PM
This....and the continued domination of NDSU is basically devaluing the FCS playoffs by the year. Not sour grapes...I'd rather go to an FCS Bowl game than win the FCS playoffs. Serious as a hahhht attack. xdrunkyx

Do you like Apples?

BisonFan02
February 22nd, 2020, 01:37 PM

Patriot vs. Ivy bowl game. One less bad autobid.

Redbird 4th & short
February 22nd, 2020, 02:03 PM
Do you like Apples?
https://media1.tenor.com/images/d75387d37800addae30a6f33c196a036/tenor.gif?itemid=11363998

Redbird 4th & short
February 22nd, 2020, 02:05 PM
Patriot vs. Ivy bowl game. One less bad autobid.

one less bad autobid, and another conference claiming a national championship ... so it's a wash as ideas go.

Ivytalk
February 22nd, 2020, 03:45 PM

The Bison Nation would have a great time in Boston/Cambridge! xthumbsupx

New Haven blows.xthumbsdownx

JayJ79
February 22nd, 2020, 06:53 PM
Nah. with the current 24-team field, there can be up to 12 autobids but there are currently only 10 FCS conferences that choose to send their champion to the playoffs. So there's room for 2 more.

ST_Lawson
February 22nd, 2020, 08:00 PM

True, but if they really wanted to compete with the rest of the FCS (or the FBS for that matter), they easily could. Harvard and Yale have the #1 and #3 (maybe #2 depending on the year) largest endowments in the country...quite possibly the world. They also both have a TON of well-connected, powerful, and wealthy alumni. If they chose to, they could easily (with a few years of investment in their football program) be right on par with Notre Dame, Stanford, or TCU (in terms of football) while still being right at the top in terms of academics.

I'm honestly kind of surprised they haven't all gotten together and decided to petition the NCAA to go FBS en masse. I'm sure they've got enough powerful people to make it happen "politically" and I think most of them have the money to make it happen financially. Going FBS, they could compete at the "top level" of football (prestige), still play "The Game" at the end of the season during "rivalry week" (tradition), potentially play in the FBS "playoffs" and bowl games if they wanted to (although they might decide not to).

DFW HOYA
February 22nd, 2020, 08:24 PM
I'm honestly kind of surprised they haven't all gotten together and decided to petition the NCAA to go FBS en masse. I'm sure they've got enough powerful people to make it happen "politically" and I think most of them have the money to make it happen financially. Going FBS, they could compete at the "top level" of football (prestige), still play "The Game" at the end of the season during "rivalry week" (tradition), potentially play in the FBS "playoffs" and bowl games if they wanted to (although they might decide not to).

Only three Ivy schools have a stadium that meets I-A seating minimums: Yale (61,446), Penn (52,958), and Harvard (30,000). By contrast, Dartmouth seats just 11,000 and Columbia just 17,000. This was a part of the Ivy's decision not to stay in I-A--they would have had to break up the Ancient Eight as not all would have qualified for I-A.

citdog
February 22nd, 2020, 11:27 PM
Don't the rest of you drooling land grant 73IQ idiots get it yet? The IVY League will never lower themselves to play your team. They are the Globo Gym of the FCS. "We're better than you and we know it." Pure northeast yankee elitism at its finest.

JayJ79
February 22nd, 2020, 11:29 PM
Don't the rest of you drooling land grant 73IQ idiots get it yet? The IVY League will never lower themselves to play your team. They are the Globo Gym of the FCS. "We're better than you and we know it." Pure northeast yankee elitism at its finest.
who is the "Steve the Pirate" of the FCS?

citdog
February 22nd, 2020, 11:33 PM
who is the "Steve the Pirate" of the FCS?

Gotta be San Diego. They think they are in the Big Sky because they beat Big Sky teams so often in the playoffs. "San Diego is way more Big Sky than you will ever be."

FormerPokeCenter
February 22nd, 2020, 11:40 PM
I met an NDSU chick in a bar once...she was kinda scary...

https://i.imgur.com/WQ4ZN4h.jpg

citdog
February 22nd, 2020, 11:44 PM

Hell Bro nothing there that a weed whacker won't fix.

97Torero
February 22nd, 2020, 11:47 PM
Ivy schools will play San Diego, because it’s located in San Diego where they have strong alumni base groups.

citdog
February 22nd, 2020, 11:49 PM
Ivy schools will play San Diego, because it’s located in San Diego where they have strong alumni base groups.

Princeton played The Citadel and attempted their antics that they find so cute until they ran into people who didn't find them cute at all. They also got their brains stomped out on the field.

Bisonoline
February 22nd, 2020, 11:54 PM

Those are USD colors. xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
February 23rd, 2020, 12:06 AM

No, Ivy schools will play San Diego, because it’s nonscholarship.

Gil Dobie
February 23rd, 2020, 07:25 AM

Bowl games I've been to are very blah, compared to any regular season Bison game I've attended.

NDSU1980
February 23rd, 2020, 07:53 AM
Or Jacksonville State

Redbird 4th & short
February 23rd, 2020, 08:23 AM
True, but those teeth are all Fargo ...

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org.uk/files/styles/full/public/image/fargo-1994-006-steve-buscemi.jpg?itok=rFTEcAeC

:Dhttps://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org.uk/files/styles/full/public/image/fargo-1994-006-steve-buscemi.jpg?itok=rFTEcAeC

uni88
February 23rd, 2020, 10:46 AM
Those are USD colors. xthumbsupxMaybe he's talking about the person on the right.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 23rd, 2020, 12:44 PM
I think the Ivies would fare just fine in the playoffs and likely better the than the Patriot League. The biggest reason for that is the ability to secure home games. Plus, I do think ESPN would "encourage" certain parties to ensure the Ancient 8'ers are positioned in a manner that makes them tv friendly.

Outside of the top 1-4 teams it's usually an open book in FCS.

NY Crusader 2010
February 23rd, 2020, 01:58 PM
True, but if they really wanted to compete with the rest of the FCS (or the FBS for that matter), they easily could. Harvard and Yale have the #1 and #3 (maybe #2 depending on the year) largest endowments in the country...quite possibly the world. They also both have a TON of well-connected, powerful, and wealthy alumni. If they chose to, they could easily (with a few years of investment in their football program) be right on par with Notre Dame, Stanford, or TCU (in terms of football) while still being right at the top in terms of academics.

Why would the big boys of FBS want to further share revenue with an entire conference that would make the jump in competition in name only? Also, as much as we scratch our heads wondering why Ivies refuse to go to the FCS playoffs, the Ivy postseason ban actually pre-dates their entry to I-AA by several decades. Joe Paterno and Penn State attempted to get Dartmouth to commit to a bowl game between the schools in 1970 but it never materialized. This was the last Ivy team to finish in the AP Top 25.

NY Crusader 2010
February 23rd, 2020, 02:03 PM

Actually you wouldn't...yet. Right now you have 10 auto and 14 at-large. With the Ivies, you could have 11 auto and 13 at-large.

If the Ivy, SWAC AND MEAC all decided to accept an auto-bid, then you would have 13 total autos, which would require a minimum of 13 at-large bids, or a minimum 26-team field.

NY Crusader 2010
February 23rd, 2020, 02:21 PM

I was at the Princeton-Dartmouth game at Yankee Stadium this year and I don't think either would have gotten past the Round of 16 in 2019. If either had to go through Harrisonburg, they would've been smoked. Princeton the year prior and maybe Harvard and Dartmouth a couple years before that would have had the opportunity to make deeper runs. Going further back, Penn had a couple teams the previous decade that were very good as well as the Harvard Ryan Fitzpatrick-led squad in 2004. The Ivy League HAS gotten much deeper the last 5 years -- for a while it was just Harvard/Yale and everyone else.

Your "example" is a bad one however, as no one in FCS can beat the Bison. So someone making the (probably correct) claim that top Ivy teams would lose to NDSU by 3 TD's really means nothing relative to how they'd do against the rest of the division. The Ivy League is typically ranked in the Top 4 or so of conferences by Sagarin so it's not like we're talking about Marist and Butler here...

Go Green
February 23rd, 2020, 03:07 PM
This was a part of the Ivy's decision not to stay in I-A--they would have had to break up the Ancient Eight as not all would have qualified for I-A.

"Not all" = everyone besides Yale.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/03/sports/yale-true-blue-to-ivies.html

NDB
February 23rd, 2020, 06:39 PM
The Ivies are basically the gated community of the football playing world...the lack of playoff participation is akin to taking the kids to the gated community pool and playground instead of the public park where one might encounter the great unwashed masses.

I wipe my own a$$!

bulldog10jw
February 23rd, 2020, 07:11 PM
I wipe my own a$$!

Kudos

FormerPokeCenter
February 23rd, 2020, 07:13 PM
I wipe my own a$$!

I'm sure there are lots of people who are eternally grateful!

Hammerhead
February 23rd, 2020, 10:01 PM
Maybe if the Ivies were in the playoffs they would attract better players.

NY Crusader 2010
February 24th, 2020, 12:24 PM
Maybe if the Ivies were in the playoffs they would attract better players.

While I am sure that 99.9% of the players in the Ivy League would vote yes to have the opportunity to compete for a national championship, I also highly doubt that there are very many prospective recruits (if any) that turn down Ivy offers for this reason. There are definitely guys they go after that end up accepting FBS offers because they feel it's a better opportunity to pursue an NFL dream. There are also be prospective recruits with well-heeled parents who would not get much $$$ via the Ivy aid model and would prefer to go on scholarship at William & Mary, Villanova, Lehigh, etc. I thought the PL would steal some of these would-be Ivy recruits when we went full scholarship but the results on the field seem to indicate that this hasn't really materialized to the extend we expected (i.e. guys turning down Harvard and Yale to play at Holy Cross).

Outsider1
February 24th, 2020, 12:27 PM
A few anecdotal things I've heard over the years, which may or may not be true...

--NDSU's football team has a few really good students.

--It's not difficult to get a 3.0 at most schools. That includes NDSU.

--Making grades in the Ivy League (https://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/9/10/6132411/chart-grade-inflation-in-the-ivy-league-over-time) may be even easier. If you can get in, they want you to stay. And while their football players don't get athletic scholarships (why bother, with all the other aid offered?), they do get admitted...all because the football coach wants them.

So what FCS school has the best mix of challenging academics and high achieving student-athletes?

The University of San Diego. :D

159 is indeed impressive, just like NDSU's numbers were impressive. There are many FCS schools that have pushed their athletic programs to perform better on and off the field; in the classrooms and in the communities. The Ivy's elitism is still there, as well as their fears. They like their bubble and their traditions. What would they be if they were proven to not be special anymore; on the field or off?

Winterborn
February 24th, 2020, 02:01 PM

I would be there. xthumbsupx

I may ask for the nickle tour of the place though. :D

Lorne_Malvo
February 24th, 2020, 03:01 PM
North Dakota laughs at the IviesNo we dont.

Professor
February 24th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Never have understood the anger at the Ivy league

Ivytalk
February 24th, 2020, 04:08 PM
I would be there. xthumbsupx

I may ask for the nickle tour of the place though. :D
I’s be happy to give you my 25-cent tour for free!xrotatehxxrotatehx

FormerPokeCenter
February 24th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Never have understood the anger at the Ivy league

I'm not sure anybody's angry at the Ivies....simply objectively pointing out that the stated reason for not participating in the FCS playoffs, despite belonging to the FCS doesn't hold much water when you consider that their other teams, with longer schedules participate deep into the playoff systems in other sports...

Noting an inconsistency isn't the same thing as being angry...

Professor
February 25th, 2020, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure anybody's angry at the Ivies....simply objectively pointing out that the stated reason for not participating in the FCS playoffs, despite belonging to the FCS doesn't hold much water when you consider that their other teams, with longer schedules participate deep into the playoff systems in other sports...

Noting an inconsistency isn't the same thing as being angry...

But is their conference decision. If the schools wanted different , they would instruct their commissioner to do something different. It's just a playoff. Sounds like some schools just wanna an easy 1st round game to continue their thoughts of being a dominate program

Redbird 4th & short
February 25th, 2020, 11:01 AM
But is their conference decision. If the schools wanted different , they would instruct their commissioner to do something different. It's just a playoff. Sounds like some schools just wanna an easy 1st round game to continue their thoughts of being a dominate program
Yes it is, but it raises many questions about the inconsistencies. Not to mention, how they are ranked when they avoid any real competition at all costs ... not just playoffs, but regular season. Their OOC is usually very weak.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 25th, 2020, 11:17 AM
Yes it is, but it raises many questions about the inconsistencies. Not to mention, how they are ranked when they avoid any real competition at all costs ... not just playoffs, but regular season. Their OOC is usually very weak.

I quit ranking any Ivy school in my AGS poll. They are not playoff participants so IMO, there is no need to have them in my poll. Irrelevant.

uni88
February 25th, 2020, 11:42 AM
US News & World Report is far from perfect but it does rank the Ivy's ...

1. Princeton University
2. Harvard University
3. Columbia University
3. Yale University
6. University of Pennsylvania
12. Dartmouth College
14. Brown University
17. Cornell University
281. North Dakota State University

I don't think they care if North Dakota is laughing at them.

ngineer
February 25th, 2020, 12:42 PM

And the Lehigh-Lafayette Game (#156 coming up) hasn't prevented either school from going to the playoffs!xsmiley_wix

I think it is still a long holdover, now tradition, for the Ivies to disavow post-season football playoffs going back the reason the Ivy League was created in the early 1950's when some point scandals involving Penn and possibly Cornell resulted in the presidents of the what is now the 'Ancient Eight" getting together to keep 'big money' out of athletics and impose some academic standards. I agree times have changed, but this resulted in their 'elitist' view of football (not athletics in general).

Gil Dobie
February 25th, 2020, 01:37 PM

1. Princeton University
2. Harvard University
3. Columbia University
3. Yale University
12. Dartmouth College
14. Brown University
17. Cornell University

Now if Iowa was laughing at them, they would care. ;)

Go Green
February 25th, 2020, 01:38 PM

1. Princeton University
2. Harvard University
3. Columbia University
3. Yale University.

That's the first USN&WR rankings I've seen that didn't have Harvard, Yale, and Princeton as the undisputed top three Ivy schools.

Wow.

In my day, Dartmouth was usually the #4 Ivy (sometimes tied with Columbia), and #7 or #8 overall. That began to change in the late 1990s when cities became nicer places to live in (or at least stopped being dumps) and schools like Penn and Columbia were able to beat us out for top students (particularly women). Oh well...

Redbird 4th & short
February 25th, 2020, 01:51 PM
I quit ranking any Ivy school in my AGS poll. They are not playoff participants so IMO, there is no need to have them in my poll. Irrelevant.
agreed .. especially since they mostly avoid any real FCS competition in OOC games.

uni88
February 25th, 2020, 02:26 PM
Now if Iowa was laughing at them, they would care. ;)

There is no university in Iowa that they give two *****s about either. Grinnell would be the closest but it's a liberal arts college not a research university.

Go Green
February 25th, 2020, 03:26 PM
agreed .. especially since they mostly avoid any real FCS competition in OOC games.

If Princeton goes undefeated this Fall, will you be impressed enough to rank them?

https://goprincetontigers.com/sports/football/schedule

NY Crusader 2010
February 25th, 2020, 05:09 PM

What about good teams from the MEAC and SWAC? They effectively don't participate in the playoffs anymore. But I get not ranking Ivy League teams, it's almost like they should be in their own classification of football. As someone who follows the PL and Ivy it's really not THAT hard to figure out roughly where top Ivy teams should be ranked but I understand why you those in other regions would have less of a basis to evaluate. Especially earlier in the season when the Ivies are 2-3 weeks behind everyone else in terms of games played so Sagarin and Massey ratings for them don't mean much until mid-October.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 25th, 2020, 07:46 PM
What about good teams from the MEAC and SWAC? They effectively don't participate in the playoffs anymore. But I get not ranking Ivy League teams, it's almost like they should be in their own classification of football. As someone who follows the PL and Ivy it's really not THAT hard to figure out roughly where top Ivy teams should be ranked but I understand why you those in other regions would have less of a basis to evaluate. Especially earlier in the season when the Ivies are 2-3 weeks behind everyone else in terms of games played so Sagarin and Massey ratings for them don't mean much until mid-October.

I rank them because a good team that does not make the Celebration Bowl could still make the playoffs. I rank schools from both of those conferences if they deserve it. To me, the Ivy's are irrelevant in FCS football as pertaining to my AGS poll.

Derby City Duke
February 25th, 2020, 09:41 PM
And the Lehigh-Lafayette Game (#156 coming up) hasn't prevented either school from going to the playoffs!xsmiley_wix

I think it is still a long holdover, now tradition, for the Ivies to disavow post-season football playoffs going back the reason the Ivy League was created in the early 1950's when some point scandals involving Penn and possibly Cornell resulted in the presidents of the what is now the 'Ancient Eight" getting together to keep 'big money' out of athletics and impose some academic standards. I agree times have changed, but this resulted in their 'elitist' view of football (not athletics in general).

It’s the other 10 games that keep them from going to the playoffs!

Ivytalk
February 26th, 2020, 05:15 AM
There is no university in Iowa that they give two *****s about either. Grinnell would be the closest but it's a liberal arts college not a research university.

1. Princeton University
2. Harvard University
3. Columbia University
3. Yale University
12. Dartmouth College
14. Brown University
17. Cornell University

On the first six days, the Lord created the first six Ivy League schools. On the seventh day, He took a dump and called it Brown.

NY Crusader 2010
February 26th, 2020, 06:25 AM
On the first six days, the Lord created the first six Ivy League schools. On the seventh day, He took a dump and called it Brown.

This is a good one. I thought they were the eighth?

From having a couple friends who ran track in the Ivy League, I know the Ivy Championships are still referred to by runners as "Heptagonals" or "Heps". This is derived from when there were only 7 Ivy League schools.

NY Crusader 2010
February 26th, 2020, 06:30 AM
I rank them because a good team that does not make the Celebration Bowl could still make the playoffs. I rank schools from both of those conferences if they deserve it. To me, the Ivy's are irrelevant in FCS football as pertaining to my AGS poll.

Could definitely and almost has happened in the MEAC where a second place team could make the FCS playoffs. However, it is almost impossible for the SWAC to be represented because of their conference championship game. In order for it to happen, a school not named Grambling or Southern would have to finish second in one of the five team divisions but still manage to have a playoff resume. The Bayou Classic takes Grambling and Southern automatically out of consideration for the postseason since it's Thanksgiving Weekend.

Professor
February 26th, 2020, 09:28 AM

They are ranked based on their overall record just like any other FCS team. I doubt they avoid anything. They play a schedule that works in their best interest. Don't really get how that should be a disqualifier.

Redbird 4th & short
February 26th, 2020, 10:18 AM
If Princeton goes undefeated this Fall, will you be impressed enough to rank them?

https://goprincetontigers.com/sports/football/schedule

So in 2019, they went 8-2, losing to the only 2 tough games they played (Dartmouth and Yale) by a fair amount. And their 8 wins were against teams with combined record of 31-54. They only beat 1 team with .500 record, none with over .500. Their 3 true blowouts were to teams from weak connferences with bad records (8-25 combined). Everyone else they struggled to pull away from and it was against mediocre to bad teams.

As for 2020 .. not based on playing VMI and Bucknell. Army is a nice get .. they had a tough 2019 year at 4-8 with their best win by 7 over a 3-9 Rice team. But they also played Michigan and Air Force tough, while struggling rest of season. They were very tough in 2018. We'll see how they are in 2020. But yes, that would probably be an impressive win. So if Princeton puts away more teams like they did in 2018, and competes with Army, they would be in top 20 hunt again.

But again, I was not impressed with their 8-2 schedule and results in 2019. Now 2018 was a different story .. 10-0 and they put away most of their average and weak opponents. Plus I happen to think 2018 was a high water mark for Ivy in football. So those wins seemed more impressive overall and I believed their resume was probably top 10 in FCS that year.

caribbeanhen
February 26th, 2020, 10:33 AM

You might wanna watch a few games without your rusty belt Amber waves of grain glasses on

Redbird 4th & short
February 26th, 2020, 10:33 AM
They are ranked based on their overall record just like any other FCS team. I doubt they avoid anything. They play a schedule that works in their best interest. Don't really get how that should be a disqualifier.
I'm not sure how playing a schedule "in their best interest" helps their case for being ranked. It is a disqualifier if your OOC is weak and your conference is questionable. Because Ivys don't partipate in playoffs and for most part don't play playoff-level teams in OOC, their records are not statistically as well connected as the rest of FCS.

See my post above on Princeton .. they went 8-2 and struggled to put away most teams on their 77th ranked SOS per Massey.

Massey Composite had them ranked 22nd .. given autobids, that would not have been a playoff team. Plus I think some of that ranking could be a bit of spillover from an unusually strong 2018 for Princeton and Ivy. I do think 2018 Princeton was a top 10 teams, but I viewed 2018 as a high water mark for Ivy league:

2019 season sorted by Massey rank .. this just is not an impressive 8-2 resume. So again, playing this schedule was not in their best interest, if they want to lay claim to being a ranked team. Point of sports is to compete and see how you measure up against better and best teams. Their schedule ranked 77th by Massey .. not sure this sschedule was in their best interests. So again, why would they only schedule Butler and Bucknell, if they want to be ranked among the best teams.

Date

Opponent

Result
PF
PA

Sat 11-16

Yale (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9177&s=308075)
10(9-1)
L (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158648)

Sat 11-09
vs
Dartmouth (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2052&s=308075)@ Bronx NY
11(9-1)
L (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158643)

Sat 10-26

Harvard (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3162&s=308075)
54(4-6)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158631)

Sat 11-23
at
Penn (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6103&s=308075)
57(5-5)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158653)

Fri 11-01
at
Cornell (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1910&s=308075)
60(4-6)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158633)

Sat 10-05

Columbia (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1766&s=308075)
78(3-7)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158610)

Sat 10-19
at
Brown (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=933&s=308075)
84(2-8)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158620)

Fri 10-11

Lafayette (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3888&s=308075)
90(4-8)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158616)

Sat 09-28
at
Bucknell (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=964&s=308075)
97(3-8)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158598)

Sat 09-21

Butler (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1004&s=308075)
124(3-9)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158594)

caribbeanhen
February 26th, 2020, 10:41 AM
The Bison Nation would have a great time in Boston/Cambridge! xthumbsupx

New Haven blows.xthumbsdownx

true words on New Haven, dreary vibe .... Not sure why anybody actually lives there

Redbird 4th & short
February 26th, 2020, 10:49 AM
You might wanna watch a few games without your rusty belt Amber waves of grain glasses on
You may have time to watch all these marginal teams who play weak schedules in and out of conference, but I don't .. and it's not my job to diligently watch all these marginal teams who mostly avoid tough OOC games. Besides, I have stated multiple times the Ivys seemed to have strong year in 2018 (without watching a single game) .. though view it as a high water mark.

Fact is, Ivys choose to not participate in playoffs and to play very weak OOC games for most part .. they discredit their schedules and potential rankings themselves by doing this. If they want to lay claim to being a top team, maybe they can play some tougher OOC games more regularly .. or god forbid, just participate in playoffs like all other Ivy League sports do.

Never mind the hypocrisy of their position on football playoffs .. Isn't this the very nature of all sports .. competing against the best to prove you can (or can't) compete.

caribbeanhen
February 26th, 2020, 11:29 AM
You may have time to watch all these marginal teams who play weak schedules in and out of conference, but I don't .. and it's not my job to diligently watch all these marginal teams who mostly avoid tough OOC games. Besides, I have stated multiple times the Ivys seemed to have strong year in 2018 (without watching a single game) .. though view it as a high water mark.

Fact is, Ivys choose to not participate in playoffs and to play very weak OOC games for most part .. they discredit their schedules and potential rankings themselves by doing this. If they want to lay claim to being a top team, maybe they can play some tougher OOC games more regularly .. or god forbid, just participate in playoffs like all other Ivy League sports do.

Never mind the hypocrisy of their position on football playoffs .. Isn't this the very nature of all sports .. competing against the best to prove you can (or can't) compete.

If they were just “marginal” I wouldn’t be watching much

You can watch replays and Actually use the fast-forward button but you make it sound like you just don’t want to

Bisonator
February 26th, 2020, 11:53 AM
If they were just “marginal” I wouldn’t be watching much

You can watch replays and Actually use the fast-forward button but you make it sound like you just don’t want to
As I've said many times, they don't care enough to participate in the PO's so why should I care enough to watch their games much less rank them in a poll? When 2 teams play that really don't play any teams outside of the same conference except a ****ty PL then what exactly can you garner from their play? It's like watching a race between 2 jackasses and trying to see how they'd do in the Kentucky derby.

NY Crusader 2010
February 26th, 2020, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure how playing a schedule "in their best interest" helps their case for being ranked. It is a disqualifier if your OOC is weak and your conference is questionable. Because Ivys don't partipate in playoffs and for most part don't play playoff-level teams in OOC, their records are not statistically as well connected as the rest of FCS.

See my post above on Princeton .. they went 8-2 and struggled to put away most teams on their 77th ranked SOS per Massey.

Massey Composite had them ranked 22nd .. given autobids, that would not have been a playoff team. Plus I think some of that ranking could be a bit of spillover from an unusually strong 2018 for Princeton and Ivy. I do think 2018 Princeton was a top 10 teams, but I viewed 2018 as a high water mark for Ivy league:

2019 season sorted by Massey rank .. this just is not an impressive 8-2 resume. So again, playing this schedule was not in their best interest, if they want to lay claim to being a ranked team. Point of sports is to compete and see how you measure up against better and best teams. Their schedule ranked 77th by Massey .. not sure this sschedule was in their best interests. So again, why would they only schedule Butler and Bucknell, if they want to be ranked among the best teams.

Date

Opponent

Result
PF
PA

Sat 11-16

Yale (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9177&s=308075)
10(9-1)
L (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158648)

Sat 11-09
vs
Dartmouth (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2052&s=308075)@ Bronx NY
11(9-1)
L (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158643)

Sat 10-26

Harvard (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3162&s=308075)
54(4-6)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158631)

Sat 11-23
at
Penn (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6103&s=308075)
57(5-5)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158653)

Fri 11-01
at
Cornell (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1910&s=308075)
60(4-6)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158633)

Sat 10-05

Columbia (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1766&s=308075)
78(3-7)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158610)

Sat 10-19
at
Brown (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=933&s=308075)
84(2-8)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158620)

Fri 10-11

Lafayette (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3888&s=308075)
90(4-8)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158616)

Sat 09-28
at
Bucknell (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=964&s=308075)
97(3-8)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158598)

Sat 09-21

Butler (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1004&s=308075)
124(3-9)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=931158594)

This is pretty good analysis. Princeton would not have been a playoff team last year. I saw them play at play at Yankee Stadium and I viewed them as maybe a fringe Top 25 team. As you pointed out, Princeton 2018 was a different story. They beat FCS at-large qualifier Monmouth by 6 TD and ran the table overall. Anyone with a brain would understand that team was Top 10-caliber (maybe a real doubter would have them Top 15), so that's a case where the "I just don't rank the Ivy's" argument is silly. Playoff abstinence definitely cost the Tigers the Lambert Cup, which was won by Colgate. IMO Princeton was slightly better.

2018 may be the recent high-water mark but if you look at the last decade as a whole, Ivy League football is stronger and deeper than it's been in a long time.

caribbeanhen
February 26th, 2020, 12:06 PM
As I've said many times, they don't care enough to participate in the PO's so why should I care enough to watch their games much less rank them in a poll? When 2 teams play that really don't play any teams outside of the same conference except a ****ty PL then what exactly can you garner from their play? It's like watching a race between 2 jackasses and trying to see how they'd do in the Kentucky derby.

Speaking for myself I don’t watch FBS football so sometimes you have to look far and wide to find better FCS games and the reality is some of the best teams have been in the Ivy League the past Few Year’s

Would love to see them in the playoffs

Professor
February 26th, 2020, 12:17 PM
It's a lot of football elitism on this thread

bulldog10jw
February 26th, 2020, 12:24 PM
true words on New Haven, dreary vibe .... Not sure why anybody actually lives there

Many people who work or go to school in New Haven don't live there. They live in Orange, Milford, Woodbridge, Guilford, Madison, and even Fairfield and Westport.

Go Green
February 26th, 2020, 12:30 PM
As for 2020 .. not based on playing VMI and Bucknell. Army is a nice get .. they had a tough 2019 year at 4-8 with their best win by 7 over a 3-9 Rice team. But they also played Michigan and Air Force tough, while struggling rest of season. They were very tough in 2018. We'll see how they are in 2020. But yes, that would probably be an impressive win. So if Princeton puts away more teams like they did in 2018, and competes with Army, they would be in top 20 hunt again.

Obviously, we have to actually play the games. But 2020 Princeton should be expected to be one of the best Ivy teams ever. They were missing several potential starters in 2019 due to injuries and other factors, and they still went 8-2. If those guys return 100% this coming fall, and blend in well with Princeton's other returnees (of which there are many), it's hard to see any other Ivy staying with them.

So... that game against Army should be very interesting.

Ivytalk
February 26th, 2020, 08:06 PM
This is a good one. I thought they were the eighth?

From having a couple friends who ran track in the Ivy League, I know the Ivy Championships are still referred to by runners as "Heptagonals" or "Heps". This is derived from when there were only 7 Ivy League schools.
I always thought Cornell was the afterbirth. The placenta of the Ivy League.

bulldog10jw
February 26th, 2020, 08:28 PM
I always thought Cornell was the afterbirth. The placenta of the Ivy League.

I always thought it was Penn

Bill
February 26th, 2020, 08:30 PM
I know this is old news - from 1982 - but is worth a re-read regarding the ivy's....and army, navy - even Northwestern.... it's fun to look back.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/10/sports/ivy-league-considers-adding-2-schools.html

Sader87
February 26th, 2020, 10:54 PM
I know this is old news - from 1982 - but is worth a re-read regarding the ivy's....and army, navy - even Northwestern.... it's fun to look back.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/10/sports/ivy-league-considers-adding-2-schools.html

Holy Cross: we could have been in the Big East and the Ivy League xdrunkyx

grizband
February 27th, 2020, 02:12 AM

Interesting to note that of the 6 schools who planned to appeal the demotion from I-A, 3 remain in FBS, while the 2 toil in FCS mediocrity (VMI and William & Mary); only Richmond is competitive in FCS.

Go Green
February 27th, 2020, 05:15 AM
only Richmond is competitive in FCS.

And Richmond lost to the Ivy last fall. :)

https://richmondspiders.com/news/2019/10/19/football-drops-heartbreaker-in-final-seconds-to-yale.aspx

caribbeanhen
February 27th, 2020, 06:45 AM
Many people who work or go to school in New Haven don't live there. They live in Orange, Milford, Woodbridge, Guilford, Madison, and even Fairfield and Westport.

good for them

still in Connecticut though

ElCid
February 27th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Interesting to note that of the 6 schools who planned to appeal the demotion from I-A, 3 remain in FBS, while the 2 toil in FCS mediocrity (VMI and William & Mary); only Richmond is competitive in FCS.

Just to be accurate, of those 6, the 3 currently in FBS were moved to FCS, and moved back to FBS later. They weren't allowed to remain FBS at the time. I think it was late 80s that they moved back to FBS.

bulldog10jw
February 27th, 2020, 09:31 AM
still in Connecticut though

Obviously, but you seemed to be bitching about New Haven.

Go Green
February 27th, 2020, 09:54 AM

Like a lot of cities, I think New Haven has improved immensely from a few decades ago. I was there three years ago, and it really didn't seem bad at all...

Ivytalk
February 27th, 2020, 10:37 AM
It's a lot of football elitism on this thread
Ivies do most kinds of elitism better than anyone else.:)

NDSU does football elitism better than anyone else.:)

Ivytalk
February 27th, 2020, 10:42 AM
Like a lot of cities, I think New Haven has improved immensely from a few decades ago. I was there three years ago, and it really didn't seem bad at all...

To quote the immortal Bette Davis: “What a dump!”

Professor Chaos
February 27th, 2020, 12:53 PM
Ivies do most kinds of elitism better than anyone else.:)

NDSU does football elitism better than anyone else.:)
We piss elitism in the port-a-johns at the NDSU tailgate lot. :D

uni88
February 27th, 2020, 01:35 PM
We piss elitism in the port-a-johns at the NDSU tailgate lot and use it to dye our gear. Don't ask where the green comes from. :D

FYP xsmiley_wix

caribbeanhen
March 2nd, 2020, 07:01 AM

Yes I was but I don’t stop there, the whole state of Connecticut is a dump with a Dreary vibe

having said that if you’re going to live in a dump like Puerto Rico, Palm trees good weather tropical breeze an aqua clear water is a must

bulldog10jw
March 2nd, 2020, 09:24 AM
Yes I was but I don’t stop there, the whole state of Connecticut is a dump with a Dreary vibe

Okay 😆

BadlandsGrizFan
March 2nd, 2020, 03:03 PM

Is the inforum so up NDSUs ass that it seriously just wrote an article comparing the academic standard and participation of an Ivy League school to that of North Dakota State University??????

Professor Chaos
March 2nd, 2020, 03:08 PM
Is the inforum so up NDSUs ass that it seriously just wrote an article comparing the academic standard and participation of an Ivy League school to that of North Dakota State University??????
lol.... if you only knew all the times Forum Communications and NDSU (and NDSU Athletics) have butted heads with each other. Let's just say there's no love lost between the two but they both know that they need to be somewhat civil with each other.

In any case, I think you're missing the point of the article. The point was the NDSU football team's academic performance was as good as it has ever been despite playing 6 extra games and 2 extra months from what a traditional Ivy League team plays. IOW the Ivy League presidents' primary excuse for not allowing their teams to participate in postseason football is a crock of ****.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 2nd, 2020, 03:44 PM

having said that if you’re going to live in a dump like Puerto Rico, Palm trees good weather tropical breeze an aqua clear water is a must

Ouch! I have no real issue with the Nutmeg State other than traveling 84 from Danbury to Hartford is never a pleasant experience....

Hopefully Lehigh is playing well enough this season to justify a return trip to Yale Bowl. I was last there in 2016 when Lehigh QB Brad Mayes set all kinds of Yale Bowl records.

ngineer
March 3rd, 2020, 01:48 PM
Ouch! I have no real issue with the Nutmeg State other than traveling 84 from Danbury to Hartford is never a pleasant experience....

Hopefully Lehigh is playing well enough this season to justify a return trip to Yale Bowl. I was last there in 2016 when Lehigh QB Brad Mayes set all kinds of Yale Bowl records.

Yes, fingers crossed on how well our offense improves to match the defensive improvement of this past year. I was there for the "A-Mayes"ing game in the Yale Bowl. Unfortunately, that was a peak for his career. QB is probably still the #1 ?? mark for us this coming year. A number of horses in the stable, but it will be interesting to see if we have a clear front runner by late August. Not sure if we will learn much from the Spring "Game" since it has become more of a skeleton practice. At least we'll get to compare arms.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 3rd, 2020, 04:10 PM
Anyone see this?
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/03/princeton-students-disappointed-marshawn-lynch-class-speaker

cx500d
March 3rd, 2020, 07:17 PM
Anyone see this?
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/03/princeton-students-disappointed-marshawn-lynch-class-speaker

Not in my give a **** bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivytalk
March 4th, 2020, 05:15 AM
Not in my give a **** bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nor mine. Princeton can invite Stormy Daniels for all I care.

FormerPokeCenter
March 4th, 2020, 08:55 AM
So an elitist, overwhelmingly white private and privileged school doesn't want a successful African-American as their commencement speaker. Who'da thunk it?

Do they know he graduted from Cal-Berkley with a degree in social welfare? Would that change anything, you think?

Probably not...privileged gotta privilege...

uni88
March 4th, 2020, 09:03 AM
Nor mine. Princeton can invite Stormy Daniels for all I care.She's speaking at Wharton that week. :D

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lehigh'98
March 4th, 2020, 05:39 PM
Lynch should just talk for two hours on why he didn't get the ball on the one yard line.

POD Knows
March 4th, 2020, 06:00 PM
Lynch should just talk for two hours on why he didn't get the ball on the one yard line. Not kidding, they need to do a 30 for 30 on this and go back into the haunted past that drove Pete Carroll to that fateful play. I have seen them milk 30 minutes to 60 minutes on things a lot less interesting.