PDA

View Full Version : How hot is it?

LBPop
August 13th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I'm not ripping off an old Johnny Carson routine (for those of you who remember), but I'm wondering what you are hearing about the heat for teams practicing in the east. Word from Georgetown is that it is well over 110 degrees on that new field turf. In full equipment, that's gotta be rough. :eek:

Anyone else hearing figures like that, or is the kid messing with the old man?

Retro
August 13th, 2005, 11:12 PM
http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/SafetyServices/EmergencyManagement/EMD/j0135991.gif

bobcatfan06
August 13th, 2005, 11:42 PM
It's been pretty toasty in San Marcos the past week. Rained at the beginning, but other than that I think about 95-100 would be accurate. The Bobcats are practicing on the grass practice field right now, probably to combat the heat. I'm sure the FieldTurf in the stadium is mighty warm.

Go...gate
August 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM
All you have to do is turn on the PGA Championship to see what it is like in the NJ/NY metro area - TERRIBLY, DANGEROUSLY hot :eek: .

Tribe4SF
August 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM
90-100 lately in Williamsburg. We hit 106 about two weeks ago. But it's always hot here in August.

charliej
August 14th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Temps in the Philly area have been in the mid-upper 90's for a few days now.With the humidity, heat index has been in the 105-110 range.(I think it was 113 or so last thurs.)

I work outside,at the shore and without all the equipment.
Take it from me....Its HOT!

Eagle_77
August 15th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Take all that heat that you guys are seeing and add 90% humidity. You walk outside here and in 5 minuets you are soaking wet.

buckp
August 15th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Take all that heat that you guys are seeing and add 90% humidity. You walk outside here and in 5 minuets you are soaking wet.

3 minutes here in SW Louisiana......97 degrees yesterday out by the pool before we finally got some rain. :nod:

colgate13
August 15th, 2005, 09:22 AM
it was humid but in the high 70s/low 80s this weekend. Don't know about elsewhere, but last nite it dropped a lot in terms of heat. This week should be a fine practice week with morning temps in the 60s, highs in the low 80s.

AgentOrange
August 15th, 2005, 09:39 AM
You're probably familiar with the old saying around here: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

Well, that's the case around here, as usual. So the Bearkats have been trading two-a-days between the turf at Bowers Stadium and the grass at our recently retired baseball diamond. Ingenious, really. Has any other team out there tried that before?

89Hen
August 15th, 2005, 10:07 AM
77, you haven't cornered the market on humidity. Yesterday driving around it was 101, when I stopped in a parking lot it got to 113. This was with ridiculously high humidity, so bad you could see the air. There is no way anybody could have been practicing in the afternoon here.

TxSt02
August 15th, 2005, 11:10 AM
You're probably familiar with the old saying around here: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

Well, that's the case around here, as usual. So the Bearkats have been trading two-a-days between the turf at Bowers Stadium and the grass at our recently retired baseball diamond. Ingenious, really. Has any other team out there tried that before?

No because most of us have grass PRACTICE FIELDS... You guys must look like the Miami Dolphins out there running through the dirt...

TxSt02
August 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Our trainers have our players putting on these bucket hats between drills that have been dipped in ice water...

http://www.bobcatsports.com/images_stories/2005-08-12_practice_11.jpg

By the way... #55 Fred Evans (the dude that looks "fly") you will see him picked on the first day this coming April...

DuckDuckGriz
August 15th, 2005, 03:14 PM
It's a comfortable 85 with almost no humidity :nod:

The smoke from wildfires during practices though are a nuisance. They've considered moving practices to Butte for the third time since 2000.

LBPop
August 15th, 2005, 04:20 PM
There is no way anybody could have been practicing in the afternoon here.

Well, I'm afraid to say that our Hoya kids just down the road were scheduled for their first "two-a-day" today. I'm no wimp, but I do look forward to speaking with the LB this evening just to hear his voice...providing he has the strength.

Stupid factoid department: I wonder how much weight was lost collectively by teams that practiced today. I would put the over/under for I-AA at about 500 lbs. For the larger I-A teams it could be 700 to 800 lbs. Of course it will all be gained back tonight. :rolleyes:

89Hen
August 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I hope everything went well. It wasn't quite as hot today thank goodness.

eagle36
August 15th, 2005, 06:15 PM
heard practice at Georgetown might be moved to very late afternnon & early morning to not be out in mid day heat.

Coastal89
August 15th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Tuesday is the last day of 2 a days for Coastal. The forecast is for more of the same, highs in the 90s and heat index around 105.

Doo Cane 4 ever
August 15th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Officially 118º last week as taken in the middle of the artificial field at Duquesne. Considerably cooler today but players lost buckets of sweat last week and all the weight gained during off-season lifting was lost :(