View Full Version : Does Your Band go to away football games?

GoAgs72
June 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
The UC Davis Aggie Marching Band-uh goes to all home and away games - over 17,000 miles in 2006. They took over 150 band-uh members to Cal Poly (bigger than the Cal Poly band), fewer to the out-of-state games. How many other bands go to away games?

TV appearance today
http://www.cbs13.com/video/[email protected]

TheValleyRaider
June 3rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
Colgate's band travels, but then again most of our games are day trips by bus. Ivy and Patriot League schools aren't that far apart, except for the trip to Georgetown, which we've never done.

TheBisonator
June 3rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
The only road games the Gold Star Marching Band does are at South Dakota State. At least that's how it's been for the past several years now. The last two years in a row, we hosted SDSU. We travel to them this year, so i think the band will be coming along. Brookings is only a 2 1/2 hour bus ride from Fargo.

Gorilla89
June 4th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I went to the University of Kansas. Does one bugle player hired to play
Taps at halftime count?xconfusedx

grizband
June 4th, 2007, 01:57 AM
The Grizzly Marching Band travels to Bozeman and Eastern Washington/Idaho (both played in the Spokane area). Would love to see them travel more, but there is simply no money.

ASU_Chad
June 4th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Marching Mountaineers (apx 250 strong) go to one away game a year and the National Championship. There is an unspoken rule that App will never travel to Western and vice versa. Or at least when I was at App till 05.

th0m
June 4th, 2007, 03:53 AM
JMU's band travels, but not to all games I think. The band is over 350+ in size, so its not feasible. Also depends on the number of tickets are allotted since the band takes up quite some space. Then some schools rather not have us come anymore because it gives us too much of a 'home'-feel.

PLLB
June 4th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Colgate has the worst band in FCS history. There is no doubt in my mind.

thirdgendin
June 4th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Furman's band also travels to one away game each season.

813Jag
June 4th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Our band goes to all away games.

CoastalFan2005
June 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM
The CCU Spirit of the Chanticleer Marching Band (http://www.coastal.edu/spirit/) travels to at least two and sometimes three away games per year. If it is a year that CCU is @Chas. Southern, then our band definitely goes to that game. Other than that, we generally travel to Gardner-Webb and some of the in-state schools. This year, I believe the only away game scheduled so far is @CSU.

ngineer
June 4th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Lehigh's "Marching 97" always travels to Lafayette when away. In years when Lafayette is home, it usually travels 'en masse' to one or two away games in their unis and full band. Usually, to Bucknell or one of the Ivies. All depends on the budget. However, a smaller 'pep band' for constant playing in the stands travels to virtually ALL away games. Lehigh is the only PL school with a 'traditional' military style marching band. The other schools have small (15-30 member) pep bands that play in the stands and sometimes at halftime.

SuperJon
June 4th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Liberty travelled to Wake and Coastal this year. However, the closest away game (VMI...an hour away) they didn't go to.

Our band isn't bad, they just do some stupid things.

JoshUCA
June 4th, 2007, 08:02 AM
The Bear Marching Band (http://www.uca.edu/cfac/music/band/bearmarchingband/) this season will be going to the Sam Houston State game for sure, but definitely won't be going to all of them.

Jag4Life
June 4th, 2007, 08:07 AM
The Human Jukebox (SU) travels to all away games, they may miss a game to host a Battle Of The Band or perform in an event, but other then that they are the every single game on the schedule.

Cocky
June 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM
The Southerners usally travel to 3 or 4 away games per year.

Appattk
June 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM
ASU's Band of Distinction generally doesn't go to too many away games. With Dr. Tobias (a Furman Grad) at the helm, we've gone down to their place every year, and I believe they are doing the same this year.

Band members also just received a letter in the mail about the upcoming season with a big question mark on September 1st.....

Could we see ASU march in the Big House???????

TheValleyRaider
June 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Well, that was a bit harsh, don't you think? xconfusedx xeyebrowx

GannonFan
June 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Delaware band goes to one away game a year - I think it's limited to that for both budgetary as well as scheduling reasons. The band used to go to 2 when we would play at nova but nova does not permit the UD band to march on the field. Apparently, they are worried that the artificial surface at nova would be damaged...xrolleyesx

SU Jag
June 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Most of the bands in the SWAC travel, their is a huge demand for the bands to be at the games. Their apart of the college football experience here in the SWAC and HBCU football.xnodx

douglasdmb
June 4th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Our band tends to only travel to our payout/FBS away games. Over the last ten years or so, I know that they've traveled to Stillwater for a game against Oklahoma State, to Lawrence for a game against KU, and I think even to Fayetteville for a game against Arkansas.

NSUDemon98
June 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM
The UC Davis Aggie Marching Band-uh goes to all home and away games - over 17,000 miles in 2006. They took over 150 band-uh members to Cal Poly (bigger than the Cal Poly band), fewer to the out-of-state games. How many other bands go to away games?

TV appearance today
http://www.cbs13.com/video/[email protected]

The Spirit of Northwestern travels to 2 away games per year and depending on the schedule may send a pep band to a third.

Of course, it can be pretty costly to send 300+ to a football game. xeekx

PSUVikings
June 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Whats a band?xnonono2x

McNeese72
June 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Whats a band?xnonono2x

LOL!

You know it is definitely summertime and in the offseason when you start getting band threads. xnodx

Doc

Cobblestone
June 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
To my knowledge the only road game our band goes to is the Brown game.

I'm glad the Delaware State band goes on the road though, what a pleasure it was watch them when Delaware St. came up to play us about 10 years ago. I saw them just a few years ago on some televised parade; they seem to be just as good as they always were.

McNeese72
June 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Whats a band?xnonono2x

I know what you are talking about. Not to hijack this thread, but I thought this was the PSU Band until I realized that the colors were wrong and there were anywhere from young kids to senior citizens in the Band. :)

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/psu04pgband.jpg

Doc

HIU 93
June 4th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Some away games, not all.

CoastalFan2005
June 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
LOL!

You know it is definitely summertime and in the offseason when you start getting band threads. xnodx

Doc

Hey, there's nothing wrong with talking about bands during the season! I was in CCU's marching band all 4 years of my undergrad there, and it's always nice for us in the band to hear that the crowd enjoys what we do.

Of course, it was also nice when CCU's band got a break in the 3rd quarter for me & some friends to go sit on the home side and watch the game from where I'll be watching it from now on! :D

SuperJon
June 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Bands should not get the 3rd quarter off.

We have this argument about our band all the time.

CoastalFan2005
June 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I agree and disagree -

Agree because the marching band should always be there to support the team, whether with music or with cheers.

Disagree because, well...damn if those uniforms don't get hot in the South Carolina heat! xlolx xthumbsupx

SU Jag
June 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM

HUH? Bands get the 3rd quarter off? Not in SWAC country! The bands usually get there an hour before kick-off and they battle it out to way after the game is over.xnodx

SuperJon
June 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Randy, you know I was in band in high school, so you know I'm not biased against bands.

The big argument for getting a break (which I think is a joke) is that they're tired from having performed at halftime. Some directors give their band the entire 3rd quarter off, and some give part of the 3rd quarter off. This does two things: it leaves a big glaring hole in the stands and can help to hurt the atmosphere a whole lot. A touchdown is scored in the 3rd quarter and there's no fight song, etc.

I'm ok with the band sitting in their spots for the first part of the third quarter and taking a semi-break from playing, but at least they're there and ready to play if something happens and they need to.

CoastalFan2005
June 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Randy, you know I was in band in high school, so you know I'm not biased against bands.

The big argument for getting a break (which I think is a joke) is that they're tired from having performed at halftime. Some directors give their band the entire 3rd quarter off, and some give part of the 3rd quarter off. This does two things: it leaves a big glaring hole in the stands and can help to hurt the atmosphere a whole lot. A touchdown is scored in the 3rd quarter and there's no fight song, etc.

I'm ok with the band sitting in their spots for the first part of the third quarter and taking a semi-break from playing, but at least they're there and ready to play if something happens and they need to.

Yeah man, I know you're not biased. xnodx

Like I said, I can see both sides. I personally would be a fan of what you suggested - having the band sitting there ready to play when need be. Both of the marching bands I've been in (high school and CCU) had 3rd quarter breaks, though. In high school that was a blessing because of the heavy wool uniforms we wore in the summertime xeekx

Anyway...as for us, I'll keep my opinions as to why CCU's marching band does what it does to myself because this is an open forum that anyone can read. xthumbsupx

SU Jag
June 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Some bands in the SWAC might take the a great deal of the 3rd quarter just marching back up into the stands. Some bands use the time after halftime to take a cheap shot at the other band(Southern is known for it!).xnodx A cheap shot is when you go first during half time, instead of watching the other band's show you rush back to the stands so that you can blast on them as soon as their show is done. Yep, the bands are a big part of HBCU football. Its like a chess match between the band directors that lasts for hours.

BisonBabe
June 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
The only road games the Gold Star Marching Band does are at South Dakota State. At least that's how it's been for the past several years now. The last two years in a row, we hosted SDSU. We travel to them this year, so i think the band will be coming along. Brookings is only a 2 1/2 hour bus ride from Fargo.

I believe they were at the Minnesota game last fall. Most likely will be again this year.

813Jag
June 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Some bands in the SWAC might take the a great deal of the 3rd quarter just marching back up into the stands. Some bands use the time after halftime to take a cheap shot at the other band(Southern is known for it!).xnodx A cheap shot is when you go first during half time, instead of watching the other band's show you rush back to the stands so that you can blast on them as soon as their show is done. Yep, the bands are a big part of HBCU football. Its like a chess match between the band directors that lasts for hours.
Yeah, the band doesn't take a break until after the 5th Quarter. xthumbsupx

SU Jag
June 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah, the band doesn't take a break until after the 5th Quarter. xthumbsupx

The 5th qurater at Mumford last forever!xnodx The 5th against Texas Southern was damn near 2 hours long.xeekx xeekx And my fiance' wanted to stay for the whole darn thing!

813Jag
June 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
The 5th qurater at Mumford last forever!xnodx The 5th against Texas Southern was damn near 2 hours long.xeekx xeekx And my fiance' wanted to stay for the whole darn thing!

The bands used to stay untill they turned off the lights and made people leave.

CopperCat
June 4th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Our band goes to Fizzoula, and that is about it. They suck, but it isn't their fault. The people who run our music department are a bunch of baboons. They have no vision or ambition to do anything with what they have.xnonono2x

89rabbit
June 4th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Sometimes, with over 400 members it can be a little pricey to get The Pride of the Dakotas to away games.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Data/11022.jpg

CSUBUCDAD
June 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
CSU normally travels to El Cid, CCU and maybe Wofford this year.

GAD
June 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
There ain't nothing like hearing The Juke Box play "Talking you the side of your neck" especially when they blowing on the other school when they're headed back to the stands

813Jag
June 4th, 2007, 02:37 PM
There ain't nothing like hearing The Juke Box play "Talking you the side of your neck" especially when they blowing on the other school when they're headed back to the stands

I like when they play "Can you feel it" xthumbsupx

jstate83
June 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Every one.................Every year.
It's in the budget.

It's extremely rare when the Boom don't show up. xnodx

melloAggiesousa
June 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Thank you, all of you. I isn't college football without the sounds and the pageantry.

I spent 10 of my best years in life as an undergrad, and all in the Cal Aggie Marching Band!

Still, one of my favorite memories (besides playing in the Athenium in Bucharest in '85 and helping to start the Velvet Revolution there) was when we finally beat Texas A&M Kingsville (formerly Texas A&I), at their place, and the Cal Aggie Band rushed the field while the football team rushed the band! Nothing like sousaphone (tuba) players picking up linesmen and carrying them around!

MACHIAVELLI
June 4th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Our band season ends in May. Well a little longer this year, some members are performing in a movie this summer.

One year at Band Camp.................

Hammersmith
June 4th, 2007, 05:05 PM
NDSU's Gold Star Marching Band, "The Pride of North Dakota", has one away trip in the budget. Last year they chose the Minnesota game as BisonBabe said. In recent years, they've also been to Nebraska-Omaha, SDSU, and UND. I expect the directors will choose the Minnesota game again this year because of the large NDSU contingent(10,000-15,000+) that will be travelling to see the game.

Regarding 3rd quarter breaks, the GSMB ends up taking about half of the quarter off just because it takes so damn long to get back to their seats in the Fargodome. Once they make it back up there, about 1/3 of the band at any one time can leave briefly for a food/drink/bathroom break. Enough of the band must remain to play for Bison scores and other critical events. I think it's a nice balance.

Former GSMB drum major.
"Hats and gloves off, but keep those collars buttoned!"

bjtheflamesfan
June 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Liberty travelled to Wake and Coastal this year. However, the closest away game (VMI...an hour away) they didn't go to.

Our band isn't bad, they just do some stupid things.
Word is we may be heading to Toledo for the 07 season Jon. Im not sure if there are any other travels planned but that is something Ive heard through the grapevine (VMI was after everybody went home for Thanskgiving break, and I think there was a big stink raised after we played the last game of the season at home (which was after break started)

bjtheflamesfan
June 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Additionally, I can understand Jon's issue with the band being gone for the entire third quarter. The people want to hear teh fight song when LU scores, and not hearing that, the excitement isn't as great. The VMI comeback taht was posted in the comeback poll is a good example. The cymbals were not in the stands for part of the 4th quarter. We had to rush some people back to the stands to play them for the fight song when the comeback got going.

SuperJon
June 4th, 2007, 10:22 PM
It's not just hearing the fight song. That's the least of it really. The band plays other things during the game that you don't realize until they're not doing it. Also, when there's a big open whole that has enough room for about 200 people, it looks horrible and does a lot to the atmosphere.

slycat
June 4th, 2007, 11:53 PM
the texas st band goes to the FBS game if its in texas and usually travels to sfa and shsu.

T-Dog
June 5th, 2007, 01:36 AM
I must say after going to Gardner-Webb last year their band is TINY. Literally around 25 members. If our band had shown up we'd blown them away.

The only two away games App's band showed up to last year were NCSU (they got to perform at halftime) and the National Championship.

I must say, I saw the App State band put on their full (black) uniforms right in front of Carter-Finley and march in playing and going to their seats at around 4 PM in 90+ degree weather. After they got the "at ease", those jackets were off as fast as they could get off.

McNeeserocket
June 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
The McNeese band usually travels to one out of town game a year. Sometimes they may travel to two games. If we play Northwestern State away, the band will travel to that game. The years that Northwestern State are in Lake Charles, we send our band to another conference game and we will alternate which conference game by who we went to last or by who sent one to our stadium last.

This year the band will travel to the McNeese - ULL game. I don't know if they will travel anywhere else after that game.

CoastalFan2005
June 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I must say after going to Gardner-Webb last year their band is TINY. Literally around 25 members. If our band had shown up we'd blown them away.

Our band has gone to GWU several times now - the reason they're so small is because all they have is a pep band. However, a couple years ago on our first visit, their director liked what he saw - I believe they're starting up a marching band this fall. xnodx

You guys' band is pretty good, gotta admit that - being a band guy myself, I enjoyed watching them at the CCU @ ASU playoff game last year!

JaxSinfonian
June 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
The Southerners usally travel to 3 or 4 away games per year.

To expand a little on what Cocky has said ...

The Marching Southerners typically travel to any in-state away games. In the recent past, that has included Samford, Alabama A&M and UAB. They also have traveled to Chattanooga (2-hour drive) and Furman (3.5-hour drive) in recent years. They've also made the trip to Starkville for both recent games against Mississippi State. The band also traveled to Bowling Green for the Gamecocks' first I-AA playoff appearance against WKU.

This fall they'll travel at least to Alabama State and Samford. Unsure yet if they'll make the trip to Memphis.

Traditionally, our band can't take too many Saturdays for away games, as they make appearances at high school marching band contests throughout the region when the Gamecocks are out of town. Those performances are very important in recruiting, and help to keep the band at its normal size of 300-350 members.

Wherever they go, the Southerners tend to make a lasting impression. Leaving the stadium after the loss to Miss. State last year, I was stopped by more than one Bulldog fan who wanted to compliment me on our incredible band.

www.marchingsoutherners.org (http://www.marchingsoutherners.org)

EDIT: Yeah, so I'll take any opportunity to brag about and show off our band. Here's a YouTube video taken at one of those high school contests (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjDA58Blmw) last year, the closing number from the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjDA58Blmw

ASU_Chad
June 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM
One of the neat things about ASU's band is that we usually do a different half time show at every game. Tobias has gotten lazier about this, but Jackson made us learn 5 different shows a year. That averaged out to 5 one hour and 45 minute on field practices and 2 one hour sectionals for music for each show.

g-webb1994
June 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Our band has gone to GWU several times now - the reason they're so small is because all they have is a pep band. However, a couple years ago on our first visit, their director liked what he saw - I believe they're starting up a marching band this fall. xnodx

You guys' band is pretty good, gotta admit that - being a band guy myself, I enjoyed watching them at the CCU @ ASU playoff game last year!

Dead on 2005.....G-W is starting up a marching band program this fall. No uniforms in place, but full-fledged unis, scholarship money, etc. by the fall of 2008.

I'm just hoping that it is better than our pep band. They are playing the same five songs today that they played when I was a student at The Webb back between 1991-1993.xsmhx

Also, with our new marching band we could use a better fight song than the UNC ripoff we are using now, and our alma mater is beautiful, but apparently was written for a slow-paced orchestra. Instant snooze time unless they figure a way to cut it down size-wise and pick up the tempo.

mountain man
June 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM

The only two away games App's band showed up to last year were NCSU (they got to perform at halftime) and the National Championship.

I must say, I saw the App State band put on their full (black) uniforms right in front of Carter-Finley and march in playing and going to their seats at around 4 PM in 90+ degree weather. After they got the "at ease", those jackets were off as fast as they could get off.

That's a full 11 game season for most schools. - NCSU, 6 home games, 3 playoff games, and 1 National Championship xbowx

SU Jag
June 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM

How about "Golden Time of Day", thats one of my favorites. xnodx

MACHIAVELLI
June 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
One year at Band Camp.................

bjtheflamesfan
June 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM

I have said this before but I give definite props to the director at Coastal for growing you guy's band like he has. When the LU band came down for the game in 2004 you had like 80 people, and then when we came last year you had about 120 (I think), and sounded really really GOOD! I keep wondering if you guys are ever gonna come up to LU and show our crowd how you roll

SuperJon
June 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
One of the neat things about ASU's band is that we usually do a different half time show at every game. Tobias has gotten lazier about this, but Jackson made us learn 5 different shows a year. That averaged out to 5 one hour and 45 minute on field practices and 2 one hour sectionals for music for each show.

That's why most consider App's band to be the best traditional marching band in the state. My high school director came from App. I'd always wondered why he chose the arrangements of stand tunes that we did, then I went to an App game, and found out exactly why.

Hammersmith
June 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM

The NDSU band usually does the same. Because they start rehearsals less than one week before the first game(and because we don't have a well-developed high school feeder system up here), we were normally restricted to 4 new shows per season(3, if the dates fell the wrong way). We weren't as polished as most southern bands, but I always liked the variety. The GSMB rehearses 1hr 15min per day, four or five days per week(Fridays off if no game that week) and one 1hr 30min to 2hr rehearsal on gameday.

GeauxColonels
June 5th, 2007, 06:49 PM
The Pride of NSU officially travels to one away game a year and the game depends primarily on where the director wants to go.

When I was there, we went to Texas State (then Southwest Texas State) 2 times due to the school's proximity to San Antonio. We also went to Samford, Sam Houston State, and Troy State once each in my 5 years there. The band also assembles smaller pep bands for games at Northwestern State, McNeese State and others sometimes.

CoastalFan2005
June 5th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I have said this before but I give definite props to the director at Coastal for growing you guy's band like he has. When the LU band came down for the game in 2004 you had like 80 people, and then when we came last year you had about 120 (I think), and sounded really really GOOD! I keep wondering if you guys are ever gonna come up to LU and show our crowd how you roll

Eh, CCU's band really hasn't increased or decreased in size. Every single year - we lose about half of our members, but gain the same number back in new people. This past season, there were less than 10 people left in the band from the Inaugural Season in 2003.

When y'all came down in '06, you had considerably more people on the field than we did. Our band photographer took a picture of our two bands side-by-side...we only had about 75 people on the field compared to your couple hundred.

I won't get into why our band does what it does - if you're really curious, feel free to PM me.

GoAgs72
June 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'm glad to see a lot of response to this topic. Without the Aggie Band-uh , UC Davis football games would not be the same. They do a pre-game show, halftime show and play throughout the game during breaks between plays and are usually the last people to leave the stadium. They are an integral part of my football season experience.

GAD
June 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM
How about "Golden Time of Day", thats one of my favorites. xnodx
My personal favorite is "It ain't over til its over" but there aint nothing like "Do what you wanna" when you got 20k plus on there feet and the stadium looks like the worlds largest block party!

NSUDemon98
June 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM
The Pride of NSU officially travels to one away game a year and the game depends primarily on where the director wants to go.

When I was there, we went to Texas State (then Southwest Texas State) 2 times due to the school's proximity to San Antonio. We also went to Samford, Sam Houston State, and Troy State once each in my 5 years there. The band also assembles smaller pep bands for games at Northwestern State, McNeese State and others sometimes.

From 1998-2002 I don't recall Nicholls sending any kind of band up to NSU...

No fear, from what the marching band director at NSU tells me, THE band is coming to you guys this year xlolx

Cocky
June 6th, 2007, 06:41 AM
The Southerners will play 3 away games this year. Schedule below:

SOUTHERNERS SCHEDULE FALL 2007
SEPTEMBER
1 @ Alabama St- Montgomery,AL
8 vs UT Chattanooga *BAND DAY
13 Calhoun County Exh
15 @ Memphis-Memphis,TN
18 Paulding County HS Exh- Dallas,GA
22 vs E KY *Parents/Preview Day
27 St Clair County HS Exh-Ashville, AL
29 Mid South-Gadsden, AL
OCTOBER
4 vs Tennesse-Martin
6 Superbowl of Sound-Carrollton,GA
13 Southern Classic
20 vs Tennessee Tech *Homecoming
20 Golden River-Haralson County HS Tallapoosa,GA
27 Bands Of America-Atlanta, GA
NOVEMBER
3 @ Samford Univ-Birmingham,AL
10 vs E Illinois

ysubigred
June 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM
YSU's band (90 some of them) goes to the FCS games and that's all. xoopsx I'm not sure if the even show up for the home games xlolx

Our local HS bands make YSU's band look bad xbawlingx

SactoHornetFan
June 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM
The Spirit of Sacramento usually makes 1-2 road games a year. This the band is going to Fresno State and maybe Weber State. We always go to the Causeway Classic.

In the past 10 years, the band has gone to Portland State (3x), Eastern Washington (2x), CS Northridge (3x), Weber State, Nevada, Cal and of course ucd. Still trying to get to Idaho State, Northern Arizona and of course Montana.

Ivytalk
June 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM
The Harvard band used to travel to all of the away Ivy League games, but not to the OOC games. I believe that's still the case, because I've seen them at Princeton and Penn in recent years.

melloAggiesousa
June 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
The Spirit of Sacramento usually makes 1-2 road games a year. This the band is going to Fresno State and maybe Weber State. We always go to the Causeway Classic.

In the past 10 years, the band has gone to Portland State (3x), Eastern Washington (2x), CS Northridge (3x), Weber State, Nevada, Cal and of course ucd. Still trying to get to Idaho State, Northern Arizona and of course Montana.

I'm glad that they dropped the "Marching Musicians" moniker. As a Bella Vista H.S. grad, a lot of my friends went to CSUS and several joined the band there. We had a great time partying together, but Dr. Foote was always a sore topic...as was the name. I now play in a pit orchestra with several CSUS grads, and they are all wonderful folks! May The Spirit of Sacramento fly high! They (and Sacramento State) deserve it!

GeauxColonels
June 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
From 1998-2002 I don't recall Nicholls sending any kind of band up to NSU...

No fear, from what the marching band director at NSU tells me, THE band is coming to you guys this year xlolx
We never went while I was there. We did take a pep band to UL-L and UL-M though. And Northwestern State did bring a pep band down to us a few times while I was there - too bad they only know a few songs. xwhistlex

saccat
June 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Our band goes to Fizzoula, and that is about it. They suck, but it isn't their fault. The people who run our music department are a bunch of baboons. They have no vision or ambition to do anything with what they have.xnonono2x

I got kicked out of the Cat/Friz game one year because my brother and I were telling our band to stand up and make some noise.

already123
June 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I've always enjoyed the band at the game. However, due to FCS budgets, its not always possible...is a shame

SU Jag
June 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Could you imagine the reaction of the band members and fans if the bands down here in SWAC country didnt travelxeekx xeekx Next to the football and basketball coach, the band directors are some of the most popular guys on campus, expecially at SU with Dr. Issac Greggs and now with Dr.Jackson

SunCoastBlueHen
June 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Could you imagine the reaction of the band members and fans if the bands down here in SWAC country didnt travelxeekx xeekx

I imagine that's true. In the SWAC the band always travels, but sometimes they leave the football team behind. :p

j/k

813Jag
June 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Could you imagine the reaction of the band members and fans if the bands down here in SWAC country didnt travelxeekx xeekx Next to the football and basketball coach, the band directors are some of the most popular guys on campus, expecially at SU with Dr. Issac Greggs and now with Dr.Jackson
I'd put the band director ahead of the basketball coach. (in some people's minds) xlolx

SU Jag
June 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I'd put the band director ahead of the basketball coach. xlolx

You're right, but Spivey is moving up!xnodx Dr.Greggs was so popular and Dr.Jackson is just like him. I remember walking by the band room and seeing all of the TV station from across the state interviewing Dr.Greggs.

SU Jag
June 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I imagine that's true. In the SWAC the band always travels, but sometimes they leave the football team behind. :p

j/k

Hey, you cant talk about Mississippi Valley like that!xlolx

813Jag
June 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
You're right, but Spivey is moving up!xnodx Dr.Greggs was so popular and Dr.Jackson is just like him. I remember walking by the band room and seeing all of the TV station from across the state interviewing Dr.Greggs.
I agree with that. Everybody loved Doc, that's for sure.

bjtheflamesfan
June 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
To all you guys from schools that change the show every week: what are the pros and cons of such a practice? LU sticks with one show for the year and while it isn't as exciting as having a different show every week, it lessens the amount of new drill that has to be taught, and it allows for more opportuinity to continually improve the look of the show over the couse of the semester.

GeauxColonels
June 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM

j/k
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

melloAggiesousa
June 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM
To all you guys from schools that change the show every week: what are the pros and cons of such a practice? LU sticks with one show for the year and while it isn't as exciting as having a different show every week, it lessens the amount of new drill that has to be taught, and it allows for more opportuinity to continually improve the look of the show over the couse of the semester.

Some of the pros: innovation, excitement, relevance, timeliness. There were times in the distant past that a popular show was shown once at an away game and once at home, but this was rare.

Cons: Having to come up with new music and props every week. Actually, those aren't bad things...

Basically, can you put together a brilliant show with two hours of music rehearsal and six of marching rehearsal? If you've got the basics down pat, why, yes. It takes a lot of personal initiative from all involved however, and juggling of school, work, personal obligations...and sleep. Beer doesn't hurt.

NSUDemon98
June 7th, 2007, 09:18 PM
We never went while I was there. We did take a pep band to UL-L and UL-M though. And Northwestern State did bring a pep band down to us a few times while I was there - too bad they only know a few songs. xwhistlex

I was actually in the pep band that came down in 2002.

Though our stand music has always been "lacking" it is amusing that someone from Nicholls(probably THE weakest music dept. in Louisiana) would have the gaul to criticize the Demon Band xnonox

SuperJon
June 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM
We didn't even have our entire show on the field until the 3rd home game this year I think. There's no way we could learn more than one show.

JaxSinfonian
June 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM

I understand that this is one area where it's different strokes for different folks, but I'm just not down with the new-show-every-week deal. After what I got used to marching, and later seeing, at Jax State, I can't think of anything a band could accomplish in one week that I'd be all that interested in watching.

I've had this debate with many a bando, some of whom counter that it must be incredibly boring to march (or watch) the same show week-in and week-out. I'm sure it would, if you're doing the kind of show that could be learned in a week. If, instead a band is tackling challenging music and difficult drill as part of a well-designed overall show, it sorta never gets old. I never got tired of watching this last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjDA58Blmw (sorry, I know I linked to it already. what can I say?)

As SuperJon noted, good bands that do just one show a year typically have to add to it throughout the early part of the season as they learn music & drill. At JSU we also normally swap out a tune or two for the fight song or a patriotic number at halftime of homecoming and Veteran's Day games. Things like that can help keep monotony at bay.

As I said, though, different strokes. If what you're doing works for you, more power to you. My favorite thing about college marching bands is the sheer variety. Everyone's got their own traditions, and there's no right way to do it (except Jax State's way! :D )

SuperJon
June 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM
If there's 6 home games, I'd like to see 3 shows. That gives time to learn it, but still keeps it fresh.

SuperJon
June 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM
For example, we have two home games to open the season (Show #1). We then have two weeks away before returning home for one week (Show #2, nothing elaborate since it's only for one week). We then have three weeks we're not at home (two away games and a bye), followed by three weeks at home (show #3). I'd even be ok with them only playing two shows. There's at least 3 weeks to learn the new show before the last three home games. That's plenty of time for a college band.

CoastalFan2005
June 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
With the FCS schools' marching bands generally being smaller, it really is more difficult to do multiple shows because of the drill, IMHO. College band directors at our level seem to want to get more creative because they have a smaller number, therefore a greater area to experiment with different types of drill & formations.

Just as an example - a good friend of mine transferred from CCU to the University of Florida a couple years ago. UF's marching band does one show per game - they get the drill & music on Monday, memorize the show by Wednesday, perfect on Friday & march it Saturday. They, of course, also have upwards of 350 people, which makes designing drill very easy (because there's really not much that's "innovative" or "different" you can do drill-wise with bands the size of UF, IMO).

So, what I think it comes down to is the skill level of the band itself and what the director wants to do with the shows (innovative & difficult vs. "flash in the pan" & moderately easy).

GoAgs72
June 8th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I hope I sit high enough in the new stadium to actually see more of what the Aggie Band-uh is spelling out in the half-time show. I enjoy having a new half-time program each week combined with many of the old favorites before, during and after the game. The Aggie Band-uh has an awesome show at the beginning of the Picnic Day parade every year. I just watched the DVD of it because from one vantage point you can't appreciate all of it and they have multiple cameras for the recording.

Cocky
June 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
With the FCS schools' marching bands generally being smaller, it really is more difficult to do multiple shows because of the drill, IMHO. College band directors at our level seem to want to get more creative because they have a smaller number, therefore a greater area to experiment with different types of drill & formations.

Just as an example - a good friend of mine transferred from CCU to the University of Florida a couple years ago. UF's marching band does one show per game - they get the drill & music on Monday, memorize the show by Wednesday, perfect on Friday & march it Saturday. They, of course, also have upwards of 350 people, which makes designing drill very easy (because there's really not much that's "innovative" or "different" you can do drill-wise with bands the size of UF, IMO).

So, what I think it comes down to is the skill level of the band itself and what the director wants to do with the shows (innovative & difficult vs. "flash in the pan" & moderately easy).

JSU has 350+ and they do some innovative and different moves.

JaxSinfonian
June 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
With the FCS schools' marching bands generally being smaller

The level of football has little to do with the size of the band. As Cocky noted, JSU puts about 350 on the field (from a school with an enrollment of about 9,000). I've seen others in this thread refer to their bands being around the same size. I've seen little FBS bands and huge FCS bands. I don't think there's much generalizing to be done.

College band directors at our level seem to want to get more creative because they have a smaller number, therefore a greater area to experiment with different types of drill & formations ... because there's really not much that's "innovative" or "different" you can do drill-wise with bands the size of UF, IMO.

Again, not so. I've heard lots of people say this, but it's a cop-out. I think its because the true innovators in the field are used to writing for DCI, where the max size is 135. In their "off season" they wind up writing for colleges and high schools. When faced with 350 people, they don't know what to do. With no pressure to win anything (and sometimes no pressure of high expectations from the band), they don't spend much time trying to figure it out. Truth is, you can do anything you want with almost any number of people on the field.

Despite your reasoning, you come to the right conclusion. It's all about expectations of the director, the staff and the students themselves.

(Waiting for AGS' band-haters to start flaming away about all the band-geek talk ... sorry guys. We all have our passions.)

bjtheflamesfan
June 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM

You make a good point. Dr Kerr takes a lot of influence from DCI shows with the drill he writes for our shows (I think we had 140-150 sets in last years show). Now we could go to the multiple shows in a year format but we may have to sacrifice visual innovation and drill difficulty to do that (even with the plan SJ puts forth). Dr Kerr likes to add new wrinkles to the show as the season progresses. Now Im not saying that going to multiple shows is necessarily not a great idea (it keeps things fresh and innovative as has been said already).

SU Jag
June 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM
You make a good point. Dr Kerr takes a lot of influence from DCI shows with the drill he writes for our shows (I think we had 140-150 sets in last years show). Now we could go to the multiple shows in a year format but we may have to sacrifice visual innovation and drill difficulty to do that (even with the plan SJ puts forth). Dr Kerr likes to add new wrinkles to the show as the season progresses. Now Im not saying that going to multiple shows is necessarily not a great idea (it keeps things fresh and innovative as has been said already).

I have a few family members that are in the band at their school. My cousin that marches for Miles said that they change their show every 2 weeks or every home game. They change the entrance, the drill, the dance routine, and music. Miles marches about 200. Kahlyl marches for AAMU, he told me that they changed their show every week. He is a drum major and he said that they change their DM entrance every show. I know that SU changes their show every game. I hope that helped out a lil bitxthumbsupx

ASU_Chad
June 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I personally liked doing a diferent show every game at App. We have around 220 and we did some difficult stuff. I know it may not have been as clean as a show or as difficult a show as one you do all year, but what is the point to having cleaned to perfection? (And I don't mean to say that we were sloppy at all. It was good but not perfect.) Its not like your college band is going to take its show to competition. You will never be scored or judged. College bands are about the fans. They want to see different things to keep them interested. And most fans cannot tell when a band is not marching to its best b/c they have no idea what to look for. But either way, as long as there are bands on the field at halftime I will be in my seat watching the show if I have seen it before or not.

leatherneck177
June 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM
The only game I can recall WIU bringing their band to was this past season's game at Northern Iowa. Maybe we ought to bring the band more often after those results.

NSUDemon98
June 8th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Skill level of the band? So, basically what you are saying is that bands that do 3 shows a year do not have the skill to do 1 show with more drill? come on...when you make that comment it applies to not just FCS bands but FBS as well.

If you prefer doing 1 show a year, great, but don't make it out to be like the reason you do that is b/c doing multiple shows is "beneath you" or that bands who do multiple shows in a season CAN'T do 1 show with extensive drill.

Personally I enjoyed doing 3 shows a year, and our crowd liked it as well.

Let's not confuse philosophies of the directors, mission, purpose, tradition with talent level of the band.

NSUDemon98
June 8th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I personally liked doing a diferent show every game at App. We have around 220 and we did some difficult stuff. I know it may not have been as clean as a show or as difficult a show as one you do all year, but what is the point to having cleaned to perfection? (And I don't mean to say that we were sloppy at all. It was good but not perfect.) Its not like your college band is going to take its show to competition. You will never be scored or judged. College bands are about the fans. They want to see different things to keep them interested. And most fans cannot tell when a band is not marching to its best b/c they have no idea what to look for. But either way, as long as there are bands on the field at halftime I will be in my seat watching the show if I have seen it before or not.

There are bands out there that focus more on exhibitions than football games b/c of recruiting purposes.

SU Jag
June 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM
SU's first halftime show from the 06 season http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-Txlfq41w

xthumbsupx enjoy

CoastalFan2005
June 8th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Skill level of the band? So, basically what you are saying is that bands that do 3 shows a year do not have the skill to do 1 show with more drill? come on...when you make that comment it applies to not just FCS bands but FBS as well.

If you prefer doing 1 show a year, great, but don't make it out to be like the reason you do that is b/c doing multiple shows is "beneath you" or that bands who do multiple shows in a season CAN'T do 1 show with extensive drill.

Personally I enjoyed doing 3 shows a year, and our crowd liked it as well.

Let's not confuse philosophies of the directors, mission, purpose, tradition with talent level of the band.

Yes, skill level of the band. Every band has its own skill level - you can't expect a band made up of middle & high schoolers to be able to march the exact same show as The Cavaliers Drum Corps. I wasn't trying to just apply that comment to FCS schools - it applies to any marching band you can think of.

I never said doing multiple shows is "beneath me" - in fact, CCU does 3 shows per year (one pregame and two separate halftime shows). I've been a member of CCU's marching band for 4 years. I've done 12 shows at CCU.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that I'm trying to say what you're telling me I'm trying to say. After re-reading my post that you quoted, I didn't talk about "one show" bands vs. "multiple show" bands at all. So please clarify where you're trying to come from.

mcveyrl
June 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM
On this whole multiple show thing, at JMU we usually learn 3 or 4 shows and for the other games we will mix and match.

Our middle song always has the same drill and features our Dukettes (the dance team). That way for the last few shows we can mix an opener from one show with the closer from another and the middle song can always be switched.

To me, the problem with doing one show is that in college the halftime show is all about the crowd. Today's crowd wants variety and doesn't matter if the diagonal is perfect (although you always strive for it to be). So, improving it until it's impecable seems sort of pointless to me. I mean, I'm all for impecable (marched Drum Corps for two years), but I don't know that college is the place to do it.

NSUDemon98
June 8th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Yes, skill level of the band. Every band has its own skill level - you can't expect a band made up of middle & high schoolers to be able to march the exact same show as The Cavaliers Drum Corps. I wasn't trying to just apply that comment to FCS schools - it applies to any marching band you can think of.

I never said doing multiple shows is "beneath me" - in fact, CCU does 3 shows per year (one pregame and two separate halftime shows). I've been a member of CCU's marching band for 4 years. I've done 12 shows at CCU.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that I'm trying to say what you're telling me I'm trying to say. After re-reading my post that you quoted, I didn't talk about "one show" bands vs. "multiple show" bands at all. So please clarify where you're trying to come from.

I guess I just misinterpreted what you wrote. The statement "innovative & difficult vs. flash in the pan & moderately easy" was where I assumed you had a personal preference towards 1 show a year. My bad...

melloAggiesousa
June 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Interesting. The Cal Aggie Band is student run, from travel management to uniform and instrument maintenance to policy to show charting to music arrangement, etc. Are there any others in FCS? Harvard, perhaps? I know there are a couple in FBS (Cal Berkeley) and Div II (Humboldt State).

There may be a correlation between amount of student input vs. travel desires and show considerations.

SuperJon
June 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Just don't ever make me watch Appalachian Spring ever again. Please.

We marched that the ENTIRE year my junior year in high school. Even playing trombone I still got to hate it.

ASU
June 9th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Marching Mountaineers (apx 250 strong) go to one away game a year and the National Championship. There is an unspoken rule that App will never travel to Western and vice versa. Or at least when I was at App till 05.

Years ago when I was in the ASU band, we Always went to Western.....a sure win was always fun.

Gorilla89
June 9th, 2007, 02:32 AM

So at Colgate, it's not so much that their band goes to away games, rather they just go away.

TheValleyRaider
June 9th, 2007, 08:22 AM
We actually do go to away games. More, it seems, than most. I don't know quite where PLLB's anger comes from, but in my experience, it is rather misdirected. xpeacex

appfan2008
June 9th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Years ago when I was in the ASU band, we Always went to Western.....a sure win was always fun.

the band still doesnt go to western and the rumor is that there was some fight between the bands years ago and they arent allowed anymore... and they dont alway s go to one away game... my freshman year 04 we went to none... and my soph year 05 we went to one... but last year 06 when i wasnt in it they went to 2 i believe

GeauxColonels
June 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I was actually in the pep band that came down in 2002.

Though our stand music has always been "lacking" it is amusing that someone from Nicholls(probably THE weakest music dept. in Louisiana) would have the gaul to criticize the Demon Band xnonox
I'll call it like I see it. You yourself are admitting that the stand music was lacking. I never said the band wasn't good.....it just got very tiring hearing the same song over and over again.

appfan2008
June 9th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I'll call it like I see it. You yourself are admitting that the stand music was lacking. I never said the band wasn't good.....it just got very tiring hearing the same song over and over again.

variety is very important when it comes to stands music

GeauxColonels
June 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Here was my take on it. At Nicholls State, we had a pregame show that was performed at all of the home games. Then we usually did 2 shows a year, maybe 3 if there were a lot of home games....I think this happened once while I was there.

In high school (at least where I'm from) you spend your entire year working on one show, slowly adding songs and drill until you get your complete routine down in time for marching competitions. So you need the whole football season to work on the routine and football games were almost viewed as practice performances.

In college, we had no competitions. So the band directors only wanted to do a show a few times and move on to something else.

TheValleyRaider
June 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
As for practices, it depends on how complicated the show is and how much time you want to spend learning it. It's especially hard to do a show for every home game if you've got 2 in a row, or something like that. If you're going to mix it up a bit, keep the drill as simple as possible from week to week.

james_lawfirm
June 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that I'm trying to say what you're telling me I'm trying to say.

Now, that is the most fascinating sentence I have ever seen here on AGS. xeyebrowx A committee of twenty Harvard English professors would be hard-pressed to decipher it. xrulesx

I nominate it for the "GOLDEN GRAMMAR AWARD". xbowx In the mean time, I think I will go ponder it for a while. If I ever figure it out, I will post its meaning. xsmiley_wix

And, back to football.

ronpayne
June 9th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Somebody said this way back, but I teach HS band (and am an AppState Grad), and my old HS (where I now teach), and while they used to take the entire 3rd quarter off, we now do 1 of 2 options:

1) Split the band into "Blue Band" and "Gold Band" with staff of each section split evenly, and the rest the band kinda gets to pick. Each group gets to play for half and then break for half.

OR

2) Eat/Drink in our seats, and just rest unless a big moment happens, then we get back to it.

On an unrelated side note, its very heartening for me as a band director to see former and non band members discussing how big an impact a band can have. When I switched our band away from the full 3rd quarter break, our AD was instantly a big fan of ours. The AD wants what is best for the team, and he realizes the impact a band can have in getting the fans motivated (at least ours does), and as such all he ever wanted from the band (and the band staff) was for us to take ourselves as seriously part of the game day as he did. It has had GREAT impact on our community relations, recruiting, and the level of fun and pride that the band has. I even had a band student's mom, in the process of cussing me out for some minor issues, tell me how great a job we did (made for funny conversation later, the whole irony thing).

Anyways, let the band play on! I loved ASU's setup - with our old and new directors, we played 3-5 shows and went to 1-2 away games, depending on budget, etc. The ASU Athletic dept. helps fund the band hugely, but they also have to help fund other sports, athletics and such so it was very understandable.

As for not traveling to Western, I know that some years ago some incidents happened I believe after a game, some of which involved home fans being ugly to the away band, and the directors at the time made a gentleman's agreement to NOT travel to each other, and in talking with both of them, I doubt that agreement will expire anytime soon, although since ASU has changed directors, and more importantly, WCU has room for a visiting band now with their stadium improvements, I would not be suprised to see it change. But in reality, it will probably just stay as it is now.

Hooray for band talk. Back to your regularly scheduled football debates. Go for 3!!!!

OldAggieAlum
June 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Interesting. The Cal Aggie Band is student run, from travel management to uniform and instrument maintenance to policy to show charting to music arrangement, etc. Are there any others in FCS? Harvard, perhaps? I know there are a couple in FBS (Cal Berkeley) and Div II (Humboldt State).

There may be a correlation between amount of student input vs. travel desires and show considerations.

I think that is a major factor in why the Aggie Band has been so successful.

It is harder for a band to coalesce around music and shows that are dictated to them by a faculty member, particularly if it is a credit class and some people are just in it for the credits. The director/music department may not be all that motivated to do all the work involved in getting money in the budget for travel, and money allocated to travel may result in money taken away from other needs of the music department.

When the band members themselves have the responsibility for every aspect of the administration and shows, along with no course credit, there is a high level of motivation to work together to put on the best show possible. People are there because they really want to be, or they get out. There is a feeling that it is their show and their responsibility to find a way to get the money for travel.

There are certainly some great marching bands that are affiliated with music departments, but I feel that in most cases that gets in the way of the band reaching its full potential.

When I was in the band we used to say, "Nothing stops the Aggie Band." We had a find a way attitude.

TheValleyRaider
June 9th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Colgate, too, is 100% student-organized and run. Some of the planning for football season is easy because we do it with the Cheerleaders, who have an actual coach who's been around since, well, 1819 :p. Certainly being student-run has the advantages of general freedom and lots of tradition, but at the same time we are also totally at the mercy of the membership. Small as we are (40 members on our very best days), the inability of people to get to events can limit our potential as well and certainly has required some creative thinking on our part.

Our finest moments, in my 4 years, came when we weren't at full strength, and still did our thing. Basketball games (poorly attended all around) and some late-semester contests (Football and Hockey playoffs) have brought out some of our greatest fun and most bizarre musical moments. Occasional stinkers here and there, but I still remember the great games we put together (some of which by the absolute skin of our teeth)

bjtheflamesfan
June 9th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I think that is a major factor in why the Aggie Band has been so successful.

It is harder for a band to coalesce around music and shows that are dictated to them by a faculty member, particularly if it is a credit class and some people are just in it for the credits. The director/music department may not be all that motivated to do all the work involved in getting money in the budget for travel, and money allocated to travel may result in money taken away from other needs of the music department.

When the band members themselves have the responsibility for every aspect of the administration and shows, along with no course credit, there is a high level of motivation to work together to put on the best show possible. People are there because they really want to be, or they get out. There is a feeling that it is their show and their responsibility to find a way to get the money for travel.

There are certainly some great marching bands that are affiliated with music departments, but I feel that in most cases that gets in the way of the band reaching its full potential.

When I was in the band we used to say, "Nothing stops the Aggie Band." We had a find a way attitude.
That can be true, but our director at Liberty, Dr Kerr, every spring opens the floor to suggestions for the next year's show from band members (because many are in teh wind ensemble/concert band as well). One of the tunes for our show this year was actually directly input by one of our clarinet players. We also have student leadership that largely takes care of the day to day things under the supervision of Dr Kerr. As for things like budget and what not, we have actually really ben able to step up things the last few years because Dr Falwell has been a huge supporter of the band program, so that really helps when it comes time to make travel plans for going to games, or festivals or what not.

SuperJon
June 9th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Somebody said this way back, but I teach HS band (and am an AppState Grad), and my old HS (where I now teach), and while they used to take the entire 3rd quarter off, we now do 1 of 2 options:

My HS director was from App, along with his wife (who did our color guard).

SactoHornetFan
June 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I'm glad that they dropped the "Marching Musicians" moniker. As a Bella Vista H.S. grad, a lot of my friends went to CSUS and several joined the band there. We had a great time partying together, but Dr. Foote was always a sore topic...as was the name. I now play in a pit orchestra with several CSUS grads, and they are all wonderful folks! May The Spirit of Sacramento fly high! They (and Sacramento State) deserve it!

The Marching Musicians name was dropped in 1996 when Jeff Edom became the Band Director. We became the CSUS Marching Band. Then in 2001, with the Athletic Dept. logo, the band name was changed to the Sacramento State Marching Band. Two years ago the moniker of "The Spirit of Sacramento" was added to before the SSMB name.

pantherclaw
June 13th, 2007, 07:07 PM
the PMB goes to our FBS game, escpecially if its against ISU or Iowa, and i have heard old-timers say they use to go to WIU every so often, also send a pep band to Drake.

SactoHornetFan
June 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I've always enjoyed the band at the game. However, due to FCS budgets, its not always possible...is a shame

I remember in 1997 the NAU Band came to Sac State. At the time they must of had 150 or so when we had only 75 (we now have 125). They looked impressive back then.

R.A.
June 14th, 2007, 10:19 PM
The Howard University "Showtime" Marching Band travels to all away games, they may miss a game to host a Battle Of The Band or perform in an event, but other then that they are the every single game on the schedule. :)

GoAgs72
June 14th, 2007, 11:37 PM
How many bands have a very formal field show and how many are more like the somewhat more informal UC Davis Band? I think ours is fun to watch because they are not quite so worried about perfect lines but concentrate on a good show with good music for the entertainment of the crowd. They also show some class unlike the Stanford or Humboldt State bands which can sometimes be an embarrassment to their schools.

An interesting aside - the band was always known as the Cal Aggie Marching Band, the student newspaper is the California Aggie and CA is on our water tower but the University is not and never will be Cal Davis (barf!).

ucdtim17
June 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM
And our alumni association is the Cal Aggie Alumni Association. But that's it for any "Cal" in our name

SactoHornetFan
June 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM
How many bands have a very formal field show and how many are more like the somewhat more informal UC Davis Band? I think ours is fun to watch because they are not quite so worried about perfect lines but concentrate on a good show with good music for the entertainment of the crowd. They also show some class unlike the Stanford or Humboldt State bands which can sometimes be an embarrassment to their schools.

An interesting aside - the band was always known as the Cal Aggie Marching Band, the student newspaper is the California Aggie and CA is on our water tower but the University is not and never will be Cal Davis (barf!).

The Sac State Band always stresses music first, then getting forms correct second. Musicianship is stressed from day 1 of the season.

bjtheflamesfan
June 15th, 2007, 03:31 PM

From day one on the field we work a lot on marching technique. Musical quality comes after that. Then once we start putting drill on the field the focus shifts to combining marching form with accuracy of the set on the field and making sure the music goes with the drill

EmeryZach
June 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I know that the UMass band went to Montana and to the championship game last year. I'm not sure if they go to all the other away games. They are awesome though. We might have lost to App State but our band kicked their bands ass.

813Jag
June 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I know that the UMass band went to Montana and to the championship game last year. I'm not sure if they go to all the other away games. They are awesome though. We might have lost to App State but our band kicked their bands ass.
Band smack, that's good. xlolx But seriously, is there competition with the other band? Because at our games the bands take each other as serious as the teams do.

ronpayne
June 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM

No, they didn't. Both bands are great in their own right. ASU is good at what they do, and yes I am bias because both my undergrad and the grad degree I"m working on are from ASU, but seriously, both bands are good at what the do. The UMASS band is much more "traditional" - I have worked with Dr. Parks at his Drum Major Academy, which by the way is awesome if you ever have the chance to send students, and while his approach differs greatly from Dr. Tobias at ASU's, both bands have a very healthy respect for each other. So while yes, bands are competitive, that is less important than making good music and entertaining your crowd.

In retrospect, it is pretty funny and obviously the offseason when a band thread makes the front page of the AGS forum, and then even has a little smack in it. haha! Gotta love it. And the band(s) play on....