PDA

View Full Version : HERO Sports Recruiting Rankings

SCPALADIN
February 14th, 2020, 09:46 AM
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2020-recruiting-top-50-fcs-team-rankings-ajaj

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere yet.....thoughts?

Daytripper
February 14th, 2020, 09:49 AM
So, James Madison will play Furman for the Natty in 4 years because, you know, recruiting rankings don't lie.

ysubigred
February 14th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Nice YSU comes in #22 BUT 5th in the MVFC though :(

Paladin1aa
February 14th, 2020, 10:11 AM
Sorry, Red, but YSU has either been ranked low overall in FCS or MVFC ranking all of Bozos years. It shows on the field.

BEAR
February 14th, 2020, 10:13 AM
Eh. Having 10 three star guys who don't contribute much on the field means nothing IMO. Having solid players at each position starred or walked on has worked for UCA. Now it's up to the coaches to lift them up to the next level. xthumbsupx

ysubigred
February 14th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Eh. Having 10 three star guys who don't contribute much on the field means nothing IMO. Having solid players at each position starred or walked on has worked for UCA. Now it's up to the coaches to lift them up to the next level. xthumbsupx

Agree 100% ^^ Hopefully the no name newbies coaches and assistants can do that at the Ice Castle.

ysubigred
February 14th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Sorry, Red, but YSU has either been ranked low overall in FCS or MVFC ranking all of Bozos years. It shows on the field.

I don't have the old rankings but, I look at these every year and this is the 1st time I can remember YSU getting a ranking (top 50) to include your boy Wolford's classes.

CenMEBlackBearFan
February 14th, 2020, 10:35 AM
So I went back the last 4 years Hero has been ranking recruiting classes and only once did Maine crack the top 50 and that was cause of Kolin Demens who was the #2 rated recruit in the country last year and he never stepped on the field for us this past year.
So bottom line the transfer of success on the field to the recruiting classes is not a strong one. The top Ivy schools should be slaughtering everyone according to their recruitsxpeacex

Mattymc727
February 14th, 2020, 11:00 AM
So I went back the last 4 years Hero has been ranking recruiting classes and only once did Maine crack the top 50 and that was cause of Kolin Demens who was the #2 rated recruit in the country last year and he never stepped on the field for us this past year.
So bottom line the transfer of success on the field to the recruiting classes is not a strong one. The top Ivy schools should be slaughtering everyone according to their recruitsxpeacex

Not to mention UNH never ranked well during their playoff run. JMU and Nova seem to have decent transfer from this list to on field success.

TheKingpin28
February 14th, 2020, 12:41 PM
Stars mean jack ****. Give me programs that find players who buy into a system Ava fight to start then blue chip players who have always been told they will start.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

HootyHoo
February 14th, 2020, 01:16 PM
#9 in the country for the ascendant Owls is excellent. Kennesaw State reloads every season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 14th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Still wish they included the Ivies to put things in more perspective!

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2020, 02:02 PM
It doesn't mean much, but nice to see Furman recognized.

Redbird 4th & short
February 15th, 2020, 08:36 AM

Below are the FCS programs with 3 or more players in NFL as of 9.7.19 according this article: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-09-07/2019-nfl-rosters-fcs-players-league. There are 157 total FCS players as of this date.

Harvard leading the way based on 2019. Chattanooga is bit of surprise to me.

Regarding my ISUr .. WR Cam Meredith isn't included because he is between contracts due to injury(s) .. he should re-sign, once he gets healthy, though won't get a another nice payday until and if he proves he can stay healthy. QB turned CB Tre Roberson just signed with my Bears. Plus looking good for RB Robinson .. so our current 4 could be as high as 6 or even 7 by next fall.

Row Labels
Count of FCS Player

Harvard

Chattanooga

North Dakota State

James Madison

Eastern Washington

Delaware

Idaho

Samford

Northern Iowa

South Carolina State

Illinois State

North Carolina A&T

Portland State

Villanova

Sam Houston State

Jacksonville State

William & Mary

Richmond

Chattanooga was a surprise to see this high:

NFL Team
FCS Player
FCS Team

Chicago Bears
Buster Skrine
Chattanooga

Denver Broncos
Corey Levin
Chattanooga

Jacksonville Jaguars
C.J. Board
Chattanooga

New England Patriots
Keionta Davis
Chattanooga

New York Giants
Tae Davis
Chattanooga

Tennessee Titans
Isaiah Mack
Chattanooga

Redbird 4th & short
February 15th, 2020, 08:39 AM
And here are the NFL teams with most FCS players .. top 13 with 6 or more FCS players:

Row Labels
Count of FCS Player

Baltimore Ravens

Chicago Bears

Denver Broncos

Indianapolis Colts

New York Giants

Los Angeles Chargers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Buffalo Bills

New Orleans Saints

Green Bay Packers

San Francisco 49ers

Houston Texans

Arizona Cardinals

caribbeanhen
February 15th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Three BlueHens from the 2017 Delaware defense in the NFL

talent wasted by dumb coaches

PaladinFan
February 15th, 2020, 02:14 PM
Samford and UTC have sort of been similar in this regard - their top players have often been supremely talented (hence, NFL roster spots), but their teams are not terribly deep and, at times, have been under-coached.

I'd wager that Samford would be one of the top FCS teams in the country in terms of their players spending time on NFL rosters. Samford has had a few guys - Jaquiski Tartt and Courtland Finnegan come to mind - that spent a lot of time in the NFL.

ejjones
February 15th, 2020, 04:16 PM
SC State 5 (Alex Brown DB got out on active roster for Kansas City just in time for SB ring.

Gangtackle11
February 15th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Three BlueHens from the 2017 Delaware defense in the NFL

talent wasted by dumb coaches

Yes they were good that season. Nova only beat them 28-7 with our backup QB in 2017. Couldn’t resist. I’ve tried to be good. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
February 16th, 2020, 06:32 AM
Yes they were good that season. Nova only beat them 28-7 with our backup QB in 2017. Couldn’t resist. I’ve tried to be good. xpeacex

don't you have a basket ball game to go too ...

The Defense was good in 2017, the offense was putrid.... if only Rocco could of found a QB that could put 17 points on the board that year

MR. CHICKEN
February 16th, 2020, 09:40 AM

....AN' WHENZ...YA LACE 'EM UP.....AGIN TEMPLE......TRY NOT...TA START OUT....15 POINTS IN ARREARS.....LIKE IN LOTTAH.....YOUSE GAMES.........DIS SEASON.......BAWK!

Sader87
February 16th, 2020, 11:39 AM
Who knows? But 5 of the Top 36 could bode well for the PL moving forward.

Gangtackle11
February 16th, 2020, 03:01 PM
....AN' WHENZ...YA LACE 'EM UP.....AGIN TEMPLE......TRY NOT...TA START OUT....15 POINTS IN ARREARS.....LIKE IN LOTTAH.....YOUSE GAMES.........DIS SEASON.......BAWK!

I KNOW YOURAH FEATHERS ARE GETTIN’ GRAY SO HERE YA GO MISTAH CHICKEN IN CASE YA MEMORY ISA FADING:

https://villanova.com/news/2019/11/23/football-battle-of-the-blue-trophy-stays-home-as-wildcats-thump-delaware-55-33.aspx (https://villanova.com/news/2019/11/23/football-battle-of-the-blue-trophy-stays-home-as-wildcats-thump-delaware-55-33.aspx)

DOODLE-DO!! xpeacex

Professor
February 17th, 2020, 12:42 PM
Recruiting rankings are pointless. When someone is beating NDSU , let me know

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 17th, 2020, 03:06 PM
Stars mean jack ****. Give me programs that find players who buy into a system Ava fight to start then blue chip players who have always been told they will start.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

This here 100%

These lists are a joke.

dewey
February 17th, 2020, 03:30 PM
Recruiting rankings are pointless. When someone is beating NDSU , let me know^^^^^^This right here.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
February 17th, 2020, 06:56 PM
Meh... it's good offseason banter.

The HERO guys didn't look at star ratings at all (which is most definitely completely pointless at the FCS level) but they looked at what schools offered the guys that each school ended up signing. Still a very inexact science since some offers that are reported were not committable when the recruit made his commitment to the school he ended up signing with but it's about as good as you can do at this level when gauging recruits.

I applaud their effort... it took a lot of time and energy I'm sure to dig up offers on every FCS commit since I'd bet that got very tough for schools that don't have a service or a message board that follows this stuff closely (which is the boat the vast majority of FCS schools are in I'd guess).

Redbird 4th & short
February 18th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Meh... it's good offseason banter.

The HERO guys didn't look at star ratings at all (which is most definitely completely pointless at the FCS level) but they looked at what schools offered the guys that each school ended up signing. Still a very inexact science since some offers that are reported were not committable when the recruit made his commitment to the school he ended up signing with but it's about as good as you can do at this level when gauging recruits.

I applaud their effort... it took a lot of time and energy I'm sure to dig up offers on every FCS commit since I'd bet that got very tough for schools that don't have a service or a message board that follows this stuff closely (which is the boat the vast majority of FCS schools are in I'd guess).
Agreed ... it tries to do it right considering the scope of undertaking, though with very suspect supporting data. Im sure winning programs get some additional consideration.

citdog
February 23rd, 2020, 02:29 AM
Don't have to be a "hero" or know all of the"stats" to realize these rankings are a joke. The Citadel got two Florida 8A All State players and the #1 rated receiver in SC all who committed to South Carolina's Military College very early in the process so got no fake FBS offers yet our "heroes" base their FCS rankings on how many fake FBS offers a player got. Seems totally legit.

whoanellie
February 23rd, 2020, 11:25 AM
I have to give the folks at HERO all the props for even attempting this.
Those guys seem to do it better than any other group I have seen. So much diversity.
FCS schools' are grouped into several sub-groups due the catch-all philosophies
of Tradition, Conferences, Schools and geography. Rebuilding a roster with competitive
athletes imho is an art in itself. The new red-shirting rules of 4 game test drives and the ever changing
Transfer Portal of graduate transfers in addition to the power-5 wash outs with 3 years of eligibility are going to
be developing a winning team concept. Pre-season polls will have to factor into all these elements. As for the 24/7 site Who the hell-o runs that site?
My school, Elon still lists Rich Shrosky as our Head Coach. Come on Man? As for Rivals? forgetaboutit!

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2020, 01:46 PM
Don't have to be a "hero" or know all of the"stats" to realize these rankings are a joke. The Citadel got two Florida 8A All State players and the #1 rated receiver in SC all who committed to South Carolina's Military College very early in the process so got no fake FBS offers yet our "heroes" base their FCS rankings on how many fake FBS offers a player got. Seems totally legit.

I think the biggest criticism is that it will skew towards those players based on total offers. Obviously, that is going to favor those players that don't commit early.

The longer these guys stay "on the market," the more offers they are likely to generate.

Furman did well in these rankings, but, in my opinion, their top overall recruit didn't even make the HERO list. He committed early and didn't accumulate a ton of offers.

PaladinNation
February 24th, 2020, 11:56 AM
I have to give the folks at HERO all the props for even attempting this.
Those guys seem to do it better than any other group I have seen. So much diversity.
FCS schools' are grouped into several sub-groups due the catch-all philosophies
of Tradition, Conferences, Schools and geography. Rebuilding a roster with competitive
athletes imho is an art in itself. The new red-shirting rules of 4 game test drives and the ever changing
Transfer Portal of graduate transfers in addition to the power-5 wash outs with 3 years of eligibility are going to
be developing a winning team concept. Pre-season polls will have to factor into all these elements. As for the 24/7 site Who the hell-o runs that site?
My school, Elon still lists Rich Shrosky as our Head Coach. Come on Man? As for Rivals? forgetaboutit!

ditto… you have to give BMac a lot of credit for A) putting his name on this and willing to talk about it openly on podcasts/interviews/dm's on twitter.
Also he does vett — players do engage with him on twitter and actually some direct commit tweets including him and HERO. Believe in it or not - high school players are engaged on social about their recruiting. I do think HERO playing up recruiting, investing the time to engage with the players is making a difference. In years past FCS recruiting got very minimal mentions at scale on social media - that's changed in the last two years.