PDA

View Full Version : UC-Davis 20, Stanford 17

Jacks76
June 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Biggest FCS upset ever over a FBS team? Have any FBS teams even lost to Division II teams before?

Paul

MplsBison
June 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Not just FBS, BCS!

New Hampshire beat Northwestern last season I believe.

aggie6thman
June 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Not to mention the fact that we were not fully funded! Jacks76 just got some rep points.

Best game I have been to and I have the scars from that damn fence that used to go around Stanfurd Stadium! xnodx

PSUVikings
June 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
MSU beating a Big 12 school is huge!!!! IMO that win had more coverage then any other FCS over FBS in history, people were talking about it all week, then everybody made fun of MSU when they lost to a lower team the week afterxlolx

Eyes of Old Main
June 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Furman got a lot of press for beating North Carolina a few years back.

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
New Hampshire beat Northwestern last season I believe.

There were other BCS losses to FCS last year...

Montana St beat Colorado St...
Duke fell to Richmond...
Southern Illinois dropped Indiana...

JohnStOnge
June 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
I think the biggest "upset" ever by a I-AA/FCS in a game against a I-A/FBS team may have been a tie. In 1986 then I-AA Arkansas State tied Ole Miss 10 - 10. Ole Miss finished 8-3-1 (the Stanford team UC Davis beat finished 5-6), went 4-2 in the SEC, and beat Texas Tech in the Independence Bowl.

Another candidate is then I-AA Nevada's 40-26 win over Fresno State in 1982. Fresno State finished 11-1 (i.e., Nevada was the only loss) and beat Bowling Green in a bowl. But, schedule considered, I personally think Arkansas State's tie with Ole Miss was more impressive. 1986 Ole Miss, I think, played a much tougher schedule than 1982 Fresno State and was, I think, a notably better team.

ucdtim17
June 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
It should be noted that while Stanford was 5-6, that included last second losses to top-10 teams in UCLA and ND (in addition to UCD). They finished 42nd in sagarin with the 9th toughest schedule in the country. They weren't a bad team

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
I think the biggest "upset" ever by a I-AA/FCS in a game against a I-A/FBS team may have been a tie. In 1986 then I-AA Arkansas State tied Ole Miss 10 - 10. Ole Miss finished 8-3-1 (the Stanford team UC Davis beat finished 5-6), went 4-2 in the SEC, and beat Texas Tech in the Independence Bowl.

Arkansas' 1992 debut as an SEC team had the Hogs at home against Citadel, which saw the Bulldogs win 10-3 in Fayetteville. Jack Crowe was fired the next week.

CopperCat
June 3rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
MSU beating a Big 12 school is huge!!!! IMO that win had more coverage then any other FCS over FBS in history, people were talking about it all week, then everybody made fun of MSU when they lost to a lower team the week afterxlolx

And who got in the playoffs?xchinscratchx

hebmskebm
June 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM

Chadron State, they made the playoffs. And oh yeah, that team that got beat by Chadron State made it too :D

PSUVikings
June 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM

--smack deleted--

TheBisonator
June 3rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
There were other BCS losses to FCS last year...

Montana St beat Colorado St...
Duke fell to Richmond...
Southern Illinois dropped Indiana...

You forgot NDSU beating Ball State...:D

CopperCat
June 3rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
--smack deleted--.

MplsBison
June 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
You forgot NDSU beating Ball State...:D

Ball State isn't BCS.

MplsBison
June 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM

Go play intramurals brother!

LOL! I'll never forget that.

Could be the funnest head coach quote of all time.

Maybe behind Jim Mora "We couldn't do diddly... POO offensively... we couldn't get a first down, we couldn't run the ball, we didn't try to run the ball, we couldn't complete a pass. We sucked.".

Mr. C
June 3rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Arkansas' 1992 debut as an SEC team had the Hogs at home against Citadel, which saw the Bulldogs win 10-3 in Fayetteville. Jack Crowe was fired the next week.

A lot of people, myself included, consider the 1992 Citadel win over Arkansas as the best upset. I wasn't even covering an FCS team at the time and I remember that game really catching my attention.

RadMann
June 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Maine beat Mississippi State two years ago.

ngineer
June 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Biggest FCS upset ever over a FBS team? Have any FBS teams even lost to Division II teams before?

Paul

Oh, yes. Before known as FBS and just D-I, a D-II team would occasionally bite a D-I..Lehigh (then a D-II) beat Rutgers in 1971, 35-14 and again, in 1975, 34-20. In 1976, we lost to Virginia 21-20 when Lehigh scored late in the fourth quarter and went for 2 and the win, but failed to convert.

TheBisonator
June 3rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Ball State isn't BCS.

Neither is Colorado State, but he mentioned that game...xrolleyesx

Eyes of Old Main
June 3rd, 2007, 11:39 PM

I forgot about that one. I'll change my vote to El Cid over Arkansas as the biggest.

ucdtim17
June 4th, 2007, 12:05 AM

It was Colorado and yes they are in a BCS conference

Gorilla89
June 4th, 2007, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror;554056]There were other BCS losses to FCS last year...

Montana St beat Colorado St...QUOTE]

Montana St. produced the only placekicker in the NFL Hall of Fame. And
he went there on a Skiing Scoolie.;)

Gorilla89
June 4th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Pitt State 151 SMS 0 ;)

PantherRob82
June 4th, 2007, 01:04 AM

That was a great win.

Gorilla89
June 4th, 2007, 01:12 AM
It was Colorado and yes they are in a BCS conference

Great win. Is the Big 12 North considered BCS?xrolleyesx

CopperCat
June 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Great win. Is the Big 12 North considered BCS?xrolleyesx

CU won a nat'l championship at one point.

And I was in Boulder when MSU was playing CU. Didn't see the game (sad for me) but I definitely wore my MSU shirt with pride the day after the fallout!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Montana St. produced the only placekicker in the NFL Hall of Fame. And
he went there on a Skiing Scoolie.;)

Which reminds me of the Baseball Hall of Fame catcher who attended UNH on a basketball scholarship! And the Ice Hockey Hall of Fame Defenseman who also played linebacker in addition to manning the blue line at UNH.

That would be Carlton Fisk and Rod Langway.

89Hen
June 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM
And I was in Boulder when MSU was playing CU. Didn't see the game

xconfusedx xeekx xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx

crunifan
June 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Montana State's win over Colorado last year wasn't that amazing. Colorado was atrocious.

New Hampshire's win over Northwestern was more impressive. As was SIU's win over Indiana.

HensRock
June 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Have any FBS teams even lost to Division II teams before?

This actually used to happen quite a bit back in the day. Back when Delaware was in Div II, one year they had I beleive 5 Div I teams on their schedule ... and they beat 4 of them!

CopperCat
June 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
xconfusedx xeekx xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx

Some of us have jobs the require us to work on Saturday, which doesn't allow us to go to every last football game.......

MplsBison
June 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Montana State beat Colorado, which is BCS.

They didn't even play Colorado State.

CopperCat
June 4th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Montana State beat Colorado, which is BCS.

They didn't even play Colorado State.

Actually the DID play CSU on September 25, 2004.

http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=704&archive=y

catbob
June 4th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Actually the DID play CSU on September 25, 2004.

http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=704&archive=y

That's when Lulay busted that 40 yard run and I jumped up and smashed my head into my suspended bed above me. That freakin hurt.

CopperCat
June 5th, 2007, 01:35 PM
That's when Lulay busted that 40 yard run and I jumped up and smashed my head into my suspended bed above me. That freakin hurt.

Owwie!!!!

But yes, I do remember getting a little excited about that play myself...what I would give to have him back this year.:(

GGASU
June 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Appalachian State over Michigan was a pretty big upset....

oh wait you guys don't know about that one yet. xshhhx

Best Regards,

Marty McFly

bjtheflamesfan
June 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM
you my friend better hope you guys don't lose by like 30 with all this smack your talkin

CopperCat
June 5th, 2007, 06:39 PM
you my friend better hope you guys don't lose by like 30 with all this smack your talkin

Hmmmmm.......this gives me an idea!:D

MplsBison
June 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM
They lost to NC State last season.

Won't say anything else, make your own conclusions.

WyomingGrizFan
June 5th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I'd still have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that the Griz defeated a PAC-10 team not once, but twice in a row in beating out Oregon St. in 1989 by a score of 22 - 15 and again in 1996, 35 - 14.

It may not rank up there as good as The Cid over Arkansas etc. but twice in a row is still better than but once. It's like making a difficult shot in a basketball game;.."ya did it once but can ya do it again?" Though acknowledgements and congratulations are always in order for 'any' FCS team taking down a I-A team.

Saluations still extended unto Cal Davis and New Hampshire for their most recent against Stanford and Northwestern, respectively.

GGASU
September 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Appalachian State over Michigan was a pretty big upset....

oh wait you guys don't know about that one yet. xshhhx

Best Regards,

Marty McFly

Sorry for ruining the surprise......

Marty

Peems
September 2nd, 2007, 01:15 AM

Marty

rep points awarded

CoastalFan2005
September 2nd, 2007, 01:17 AM

Marty

LoL - what numbers do I need to play in the Powerball for Wednesday night, Marty? xlolx

AggieFinn
September 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
The Appy win over Michigan is 100 times more impressive than the Aggies' win over Stanfurd two years ago.

poly51
September 2nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
This actually used to happen quite a bit back in the day. Back when Delaware was in Div II, one year they had I beleive 5 Div I teams on their schedule ... and they beat 4 of them!

Back in the day......

D-II Cal Poly over
I-A Fresno State 24-12 1978
I-A Cal State Fullerton 41-27 1978
I-AA Boise State 7-3 1978
I-A Fresno State 26-0 1979
I-AA National Champ Boise State 23-20 1980