PDA

View Full Version : 2007 NCAA Football Rule Changes

windwalker
June 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM
Well fans, here are some of the highlights that will affect the game. I guess the Rules Committee listened to the unhappy coaches and fans last year. Following are the highlights, and a couple of interesting changes.

Here is a link:

http://mutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041207aaa.html

The committee made two changes that revert to those rules used in the 2005 season. First, in Rule 3-2-5-e, the clock will start on the snap after a change in possession, as opposed to the 2006 rule which started the clock when the referee signaled the ball ready for play. The committee also returned its rules on free kicks to 2005 standards, starting the clock on kickoffs only when the ball is legally touched in the field of play.

The new rules will also limit charged team timeouts, during televised games only, to 30 seconds plus the 25-second play clock. Conference or institutional contractual media agreements shall supersede this policy. This will not affect non-televised games.

Another interesting change:

Rule 3-2-2-i.

This proposal alters the inadvertent whistle rule to read: "(i). If an inadvertent whistle occurs on a play and the down is replayed under the provisions of Rule 4-1 -2-by then the time and status of the game clock and play clock shall be reset to their position prior to the play in which the inadvertent whistle occurs. If necessary, instant replay can be consulted to determine the exact time and status of the game clock and the play clock."

Rationale: This allows an official to add lost clock time in the rare case where an inadvertent whistle is blown.

Another change back to 2005 rules:

Rule 3-2-5-e

When Team B is awarded a first down, the game clock is stopped and starts on the snap.

Rationale: This reverts back to the 2005 rule. This rule change last year was a large part of changes that eliminated about I6 plays from the game and cut about 15 minutes of elapsed time off of the game. The committee believes the elimination ofparticipation opportunities for student-athletes is too much and addressed the overall length of game issues in other ways.

NOTE: Team B is the Defense, so this basically means "change of possession"

Now this is in the Rule Book!!!!

1-3-2-d

Change wording from "I-AA" to "Championship Subdivision."

Rationale: Change to reflect NCM 's new designations for football subdivisions.

One other thing, the kickoff line has been moved back to the 30 yard line.

Comments????

rokamortis
June 3rd, 2007, 08:39 AM
I like them. The only one I have a question about is the timeouts for the TV games but are subject to media agreements - why not make it consistent?

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
One other thing, the kickoff line has been moved back to the 30 yard line.

Wasn't it once at the 40? Is this a reflection of a) better kickers, or b) the interest in more return yards?

windwalker
June 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
I like them. The only one I have a question about is the timeouts for the TV games but are subject to media agreements - why not make it consistent?

Their rational is basically, get the teams on the field, and ready to play when the commericials are over.

windwalker
June 3rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Wasn't it once at the 40? Is this a reflection of a) better kickers, or b) the interest in more return yards?

Their rational for this is that there will be more returns, thus running the clock more.

danefan
June 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
So now when the kick-off goes out of bounds untouched, does it still get put on the 40 yd line? I always thought that was connected to the kickoff yd line.

windwalker
June 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
So now when the kick-off goes out of bounds untouched, does it still get put on the 40 yd line? I always thought that was connected to the kickoff yd line.

Sorry did not include this in the original post...

On a Free Kick out of bounds, the ball will be place 35 yards in advance of the kicking spot. That will still place it at the 35 yard line.

ngineer
June 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Their rational for this is that there will be more returns, thus running the clock more.

Yes, I see that as a trade off from not starting the clock when the ball was kicked in the prior rule. At the same time, the offense will be having much better field position this year to start. Assuming a windless day, most PL kickers in recent years place their kicks between the 10 and goal line. Occasionally into the endzone, but not with any frequency. Now, the return men will be getting the ball, on average around the 15, so a lot of possessions beginning at the 35-40. Field position is such a big factor in football. For the defense to stop an O on a three and out after a kickoff would mean getting the ball somewhere near mid-field. Now, on a three and out, the O with a decent punter, will still be able to put the opposing team fairly deep in their own end. May make for some new appoaches to the special teams, especially on the kickoffs, i.e. tying to be more selective in placing the kickoff more to one side of the field in order to restrict the returner's options...

danefan
June 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
It definitely puts more of an emphasis on the kicking game.

65 Pard
June 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Yes, I see that as a trade off from not starting the clock when the ball was kicked in the prior rule. At the same time, the offense will be having much better field position this year to start. Assuming a windless day, most PL kickers in recent years place their kicks between the 10 and goal line. Occasionally into the endzone, but not with any frequency. Now, the return men will be getting the ball, on average around the 15, so a lot of possessions beginning at the 35-40. Field position is such a big factor in football. For the defense to stop an O on a three and out after a kickoff would mean getting the ball somewhere near mid-field. Now, on a three and out, the O with a decent punter, will still be able to put the opposing team fairly deep in their own end. May make for some new appoaches to the special teams, especially on the kickoffs, i.e. tying to be more selective in placing the kickoff more to one side of the field in order to restrict the returner's options...

Winning the coin toss is now more important than it used to be...

danefan
June 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
And is the default choice still a deferral? Your chances of scoring on the first drive have increased. Does that now push the choice scale over to receive?

windwalker
June 3rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
And is the default choice still a deferral? Your chances of scoring on the first drive have increased. Does that now push the choice scale over to receive?
As an official, I always thought the "defer to the 2nd half" was a dumb option. I would like it simply go back to the old way.. Receive, Kick, or choose to defend a goal.

of course.. opinions are like A**holes... everyone has one.
xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Eyes of Old Main
June 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
I like all the changes, except the I-A/I-AA to FBS/FCS change. That might catch me some heat with some folks around here, but the change has made things more confusing for almost everybody. At least before, non-I-AA fans understood the classification, now most non-FCS fans think FCS is a lower classification than it really is.

BEAR
June 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
I don't like the ball being moved back to the 30 yard line. UCA has no problem with kickoffs, James Paul usually puts it through the end zone like 90% of the time. But it just seems like too often teams I have seen have weak special teams coverage and only bad things happen to them. Moving the ball back will just make it worse for them and give the receiving teams better field advantage and the ability to run up the stats. Five yards doesn't sound like much but a team with an average kicker and decent coverage is going to lose more yards to the return teams. Just my theory. We'll see if it happens..then I'll revisit this thread and check my assumptions. xthumbsupx