PDA

View Full Version : NC A&T joining Big South

NDSUtk
February 6th, 2020, 10:10 AM
Very interesting news.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/ncat/a-t-will-leave-meac-for-big-south-conference-source/article_827f910e-c4eb-5815-8821-1ed75cf66272.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

IBleedYellow
February 6th, 2020, 10:12 AM
Watch more MEAC schools follow.

WestCoastAggie
February 6th, 2020, 10:14 AM
https://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/ncat/a-t-will-leave-meac-for-big-south-conference-source/article_827f910e-c4eb-5815-8821-1ed75cf66272.html

A&T will leave MEAC for Big South Conference, source says
xcoffeex

WestCoastAggie
February 6th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Y'all get your wish, pending the Board of Trustees agreeing and us surviving an internal civil war.

WileECoyote06
February 6th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Y'all get your wish, pending the Board of Trustees agreeing and us surviving an internal civil war.

Bout to be ugly. Even with the travel issues, your fanbase enjoyed MEAC rivalries..

WestCoastAggie
February 6th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Bout to be ugly. Even with the travel issues, your fanbase enjoyed MEAC rivalries..

Not really. Delaware State, Bethune Cookman, Morgan State or even Savannah State didn't travel to Greensboro like that. The ones we did enjoy, like our lil bros/sisters in Durham, we still can play OOC, I guess.

Redbird 4th & short
February 6th, 2020, 10:29 AM
Among other tings I'm sure, does this have anything to with this ?? NC A&T was flirting with FBS move according to some.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?244954-Atlantic-Sun-plans-Football

Nor Eastern
February 6th, 2020, 10:30 AM

I'm sure Central and A&T will keep a game every year

WileECoyote06
February 6th, 2020, 10:32 AM
The game would have to be moved back to the beginning of the season; the same time period when both of our institutions will be looking to play FBS games. This rivalry game won't be an annual thing, anymore in my opinion.

WileECoyote06
February 6th, 2020, 10:33 AM
Not really. Delaware State, Bethune Cookman, Morgan State or even Savannah State didn't travel to Greensboro like that. The ones we did enjoy, like our lil bros/sisters in Durham, we still can play OOC, I guess.

You'll only get 100 fans from Gardner-Webb, Campbell, and Charleston Southern, so I guess that's a push. At least UNA travels well.

Basketball might be better.

Professor Chaos
February 6th, 2020, 10:34 AM
Wow.... this is interesting on a whole bunch of levels. What does this say about the future of the Celebration Bowl that the most successful program in it's history is leaving? What does this say about the future of MEAC football with their flagship program leaving, Savannah St dropping it's program to D2, and BCU potentially having to follow suit with major cuts looming? Does this signify a gradual ramp-up in athletic/football budget at A&T angling towards an FBS move?

IBleedYellow
February 6th, 2020, 10:36 AM
Alright guys. Hear me out.

Jacksonville State to the Big South.

Youngstown State to the OVC. (This was Thumpers idea fwiw)

NDSUtk
February 6th, 2020, 10:38 AM

Not sure I would say it's "our" wish. I believe "our" wish would be for the conferences to participate in the playoffs. Granted most years that would have been A&T but not necessarily all years.

Seems this is more A&T's wish than ours since they are making the change!

Professor Chaos
February 6th, 2020, 10:38 AM

Would make a ton of sense geographically... so it probably won't happen.

If it does happen the Big South will pass the SOCON in terms of overall football conference quality in that area of the country.

PAllen
February 6th, 2020, 10:58 AM
Wasn't Delaware St. trying to get an invite to the Big South a few years ago?

Any rumblings about them making the move too?

WestCoastAggie
February 6th, 2020, 11:05 AM
Wow.... this is interesting on a whole bunch of levels. What does this say about the future of the Celebration Bowl that the most successful program in it's history is leaving? What does this say about the future of MEAC football with their flagship program leaving, Savannah St dropping it's program to D2, and BCU potentially having to follow suit with major cuts looming? Does this signify a gradual ramp-up in athletic/football budget at A&T angling towards an FBS move?

I will put it to you like this... ESPN and the conferences haven't announced a contract extension and the last game is this December.

ASU33
February 6th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Que up the Alabama State and Alabama A&M talks to the MEAC again.

kdinva
February 6th, 2020, 11:30 AM
You'll only get 100 fans from Gardner-Webb, Campbell, and Charleston Southern, so I guess that's a push.

I'd like to think real soon the Campbell fan base will be engaged enough to travel to their Conf. away games, and it's only 95 miles from campbell to A&T.

kdinva
February 6th, 2020, 11:33 AM

at least A&T is doing it correctly, time wise. Not the 8 month notice Hampton did....

Lorne_Malvo
February 6th, 2020, 11:45 AM
I think its a great move.

Mocs123
February 6th, 2020, 11:46 AM
I can't comment on if this is good/bad for A&T, but I do think this is good for the Big South.

Anthony215
February 6th, 2020, 11:48 AM
I think this is a great move for AT&T as they can still play a classic game in week 1, still keep their rivalry with NCCU and schedule FAMU or possibly a SWAC member for a home/away series. This means they'll have to find a way to win in the playoffs now to get additional revenue from the extra home games since they'll no longer get the Celebration bowl money. As mentioned the DSU/Norfolk State games weren't bringing many road fans to Greensboro anyways. At least in the Big South they'll have closer games with still only one plane ride to North Jersey (Monmouth). Gardner-Webb, Campbell, Kennesaw and North Charleston are all bus trips. I think the MEAC as a conference will be gone within 3-4 years with BCU having money issues, DSU having competitiveness issues and the other schools not stepping up. FAMU may make the trip to the SWAC while the northern HBCU's drop down to D2 or leave for the NEC/Patriot League (Howard), or follow Hampton and NC A&T to the Big South.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 6th, 2020, 11:50 AM
The Big South could really have a pretty decent football league if they can get North Alabama on board.

UNHWildcat18
February 6th, 2020, 12:02 PM
So why is the HBCU national champion leaving its conference of other HBCU's and abandoning its way more important and more beneficial than playoffs BOWL.......To an okay conference that only participates in "barely brake even" playoffs.. Sorry I know I sound like a jerk but I am just really ****ing confused.......

Lion1983
February 6th, 2020, 12:05 PM
The Big South could really have a pretty decent football league if they can get North Alabama on board.

What are you talking about? North Alabama plays football in the Big South.

Lion1983
February 6th, 2020, 12:10 PM
I like the move. They will bring the Big South up.

I figure a couple of more may join the Big South from the MEAC. Mainly to replace UNA and KSU after the UAC starts.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 6th, 2020, 12:18 PM
Wow, that is surprising. Big South is becoming a very good conference and this would definitely add to that. What is your thought on it though WCA?

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 6th, 2020, 12:23 PM
What are you talking about? North Alabama plays football in the Big South.

LawL got them mixed up with someone else.

Lorne_Malvo
February 6th, 2020, 12:24 PM
Their board is a dumpster fire right now.

AmsterBison
February 6th, 2020, 12:26 PM
Did not see that coming. What is the reasoning behind the move?

Redbird 4th & short
February 6th, 2020, 12:29 PM
So why is the HBCU national champion leaving its conference of other HBCU's and abandoning its way more important and more beneficial than playoffs BOWL.......To an okay conference that only participates in "barely brake even" playoffs.. Sorry I know I sound like a jerk but I am just really ****ing confused.......

equally confused

uni88
February 6th, 2020, 12:36 PM
Let's cut to the chase. What does HootyHoo think of this?

WileECoyote06
February 6th, 2020, 12:49 PM

If the southern Big South schools leave to join the ASun spin off, it makes the Big South geographically compact. A&T will have local schools all within a short drive. Also, the Celebration Bowl contract hasn't been renewed. I think this is preemptive, but hey . . whatever works for the Aggies. Not hearing a lot of support from their alums xcoffeex

Good luck though farmers.

aggie2039
February 6th, 2020, 12:50 PM

The money from the Celebration bowl does not cover the costs of non-revenue sport travel. This move has more to do with saving costs on non-revenue sports and reducing time on the road for students. Less time on the road means better class attendance, reduced costs for hotels, meals, transportation and ultimately reduced athletic fees for A&T students. We cant continue to fund sports on the backs of our students, crippling them with more student loans so another student can hit a volleyball or tennis ball.

Think big picture not just football.

Lorne_Malvo
February 6th, 2020, 12:55 PM
The money from the Celebration bowl does not cover the costs of non-revenue sport travel. This move has more to do with saving costs on non-revenue sports and reducing time on the road for students. Less time on the road means better class attendance, reduced costs for hotels, meals, transportation and ultimately reduced athletic fees for A&T students. We cant continue to fund sports on the backs of our students, crippling them with more student loans so another student can hit a volleyball or tennis ball.

Wont Trumps new legislation help the financial bottom line?

The Future Act will provide HBCUs with a minimum of $255 million, annually.

ASU33
February 6th, 2020, 01:04 PM

If you think that legislation is "new" then we're going to have to start from a place that I simply don't have the keystrokes in me to go to.

aggie2039
February 6th, 2020, 01:04 PM

Is this a real question or are you trolling? First lets start with facts like what the bill actually states.

The FUTURE Act reauthorizes $255 million in critical funding for Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) for the next two years, including $85 million for HBCUs.

There are 101 HBCUs, for simple math sake that is less than $1M per school... so to answer your question no! Additionally, I dont think the American public including myself would approve of those dollars being used to fund a sport.

katss07
February 6th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Damn, so the Celebration Bowl isn’t so great after all.

At least according to the people that matter.

Lorne_Malvo
February 6th, 2020, 01:27 PM
Is this a real question or are you trolling? First lets start with facts like what the bill actually states.

The FUTURE Act reauthorizes $255 million in critical funding for Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) for the next two years, including $85 million for HBCUs.

There are 101 HBCUs, for simple math sake that is less than $1M per school... so to answer your question no! Additionally, I dont think the American public including myself would approve of those dollars being used to fund a sport.

If 1M wont help, then all of the HBCUs should probably just refuse to accept the money.

You should probably read the Bill before commenting on it: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/2486/text

Birdman_
February 6th, 2020, 01:28 PM
Love this for the Big South. Especially if the whole ASUN/UAC conference exploration thing is effectively moving football from the Big South into the UAC. Would be great to add one or more from: Jax St., UTC, etc. and to replace Monmouth from a geographical perspective. Excited to see what happens.

dbackjon
February 6th, 2020, 01:29 PM

Huge difference in travel - average distance in the Big South will be 154 miles, with no trip over 267 (Charleston Southern). Average trip in MEAC is 340 miles. MEAC features 6 schools over 6 hours away. The Florida schools are 8+. 5 schools up north, Howard is closest, with average travel time just under 6 hours. That is a lot of travel for student-athletes

ursus arctos horribilis
February 6th, 2020, 01:35 PM
A word of warning here. I don't care if it is somewhat germaine to the discussion or not, any and all political stuff should be avoided on the FCS board because if it happens then I have to take steps to make sure it does not again. Those steps start with me taking away the FCS portion of this site away from anyone offending that rule.

If we feel like having those types of discussions I am all for it over in The Lounge and specifically the poli board. There are certainly political things that affect FCS schools and those things should be handled over on the boards mentioned. Do not bring up any Trump BS on the FCS board from either side.

ASU33
February 6th, 2020, 01:37 PM
Damn, so the Celebration Bowl isn’t so great after all.

At least according to the people that matter.

This isn't a Celebration Bowl decision this is an athletic department decision and A&T is making the best decision for them and their athletic department.

aggie2039
February 6th, 2020, 01:37 PM
If 1M wont help, then all of the HBCUs should probably just refuse to accept the money.

You should probably read the Bill before commenting on it: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/2486/text

i did read it...you didnt. You assumed that HBCUs would get $255M which is inaccurate, that was for all Minority serving institutions.

We elect politicians to do what they think is correct, it was their decision so be it.

Back to your initial somewhat Passive aggressive racist statement...the money wont help with reducing cost of athletics.

aggie2039
February 6th, 2020, 01:40 PM
A word of warning here. I don't care if it is somewhat germaine to the discussion or not, any and all political stuff should be avoided on the FCS board because if it happens then I have to take steps to make sure it does not again. Those steps start with me taking away the FCS portion of this site away from anyone offending that rule.

If we feel like having those types of discussions I am all for it over in The Lounge and specifically the poli board. There are certainly political things that affect FCS schools and those things should be handled over on the boards mentioned. Do not bring up any Trump BS on the FCS board from either side.

I agree, I support your rules 100 Percent. I dont think a political board would go over very well...I wouldn't start one.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 6th, 2020, 01:47 PM
I agree, I support your rules 100 Percent. I dont think a political board would go over very well...I wouldn't start one.

We have one here and Lorne already knows my stance on the FCS board so he is playing around with the rule a bit and pushing the line on this issue so I wanted to make sure we are all clear on what goes on this particular part of the board (FCS Discussion board) and what a good alternative to his post would have been.

Welcome to the place btw, glad you joined as it seems early on here that you provide good knowledge on the workings of it all.xthumbsupx

aggie2039
February 6th, 2020, 01:49 PM
We have one here and Lorne already knows my stance on the FCS board so he is playing around with the rule a bit and pushing the line on this issue so I wanted to make sure we are all clear on what goes on this particular part of the board (FCS Discussion board) and what a good alternative to his post would have been.

Welcome to the place btw, glad you joined as it seems early on here that you provide good knowledge on the workings of it all.xthumbsupx

Thank You, glad to be here.

citdog
February 6th, 2020, 01:51 PM
Good for the Aggies and good for that league.

whoanellie
February 6th, 2020, 01:57 PM
JMHO, Thanks to Rod Broadway former HC whom turned around the football program. NCA&T brings a lot to the Big South and the other Big South School's especially the ones located nearby bring a lot to A&T.
From a geographic media point of view Greensboro is a great place to host any conference championship event and High Point is right next door and Campbell is just down 421.
It beats all the FBS talk. NCA&T for Presbyterian is a no-brainer.

WestCoastAggie
February 6th, 2020, 01:58 PM
JMHO, Thanks to Rod Broadway former HC whom turned around the football program. NCA&T brings a lot to the Big South and the other Big South School's especially the ones located nearby bring a lot to A&T.
From a geographic media point of view Greensboro is a great place to host any conference championship event and High Point is right next door and Campbell is just down 421.
It beats all the FBS talk. NCA&T for Presbyterian is a no-brainer.

me thinks that series with High Point in basketball will be interesting.

whoanellie
February 6th, 2020, 01:59 PM
stay on the point of topic,

MR. CHICKEN
February 6th, 2020, 02:00 PM
31371...........AH'D SAY....BAH DUH.......xcoffeex......WCA....NOT THRILLED.....OR JES' IN NEED UH CAFFINE/DIET PILL/RED BULL.....xeyebrowx....AWK!

JSUSoutherner
February 6th, 2020, 02:14 PM

Oh yeah, the whole JSU to Big South idea was all Thumper.

Laker
February 6th, 2020, 03:06 PM
Aggie fans- how do you feel about this? Good thing for your school and programs?

Herder
February 6th, 2020, 03:07 PM
NCA&T is an HBCU, regardless of the conference they are in, correct? Entering the deeper water, much respect.

ASU33
February 6th, 2020, 03:12 PM
Aggie fans- how do you feel about this? Good thing for your school and programs?

Mixed reactions. Some are pissed while others aren't. I see that the A&T student body is planning a sit-in protest tomorrow to show their disapproval of the decision.

WestCoastAggie
February 6th, 2020, 03:43 PM
Mixed reactions. Some are pissed while others aren't. I see that the A&T student body is planning a sit-in protest tomorrow to show their disapproval of the decision.

Once the kids are shown the financials and shown how we can schedule NCCU and Winston-Salem State, they’ll get in-line.

ST_Lawson
February 6th, 2020, 03:54 PM
NCA&T is an HBCU, regardless of the conference they are in, correct? Entering the deeper water, much respect.

Yes. HBCU is a institution designation, not based on the conference they are in. There's HBCU's in traditionally non-HBCU conferences (like Tennessee State in the OVC, for example). So regardless of NC A&T being in the MEAC, Big South, or if they eventually work their way up to FBS and join the Sun Belt or something, they're still considered a HBCU.

Lorne_Malvo
February 6th, 2020, 03:57 PM

My question regarding the Future Act was sincere and I tried to avoid anything political about it.
It was simply a question of the funding helping or not helping.

JSUSoutherner
February 6th, 2020, 04:05 PM
Yes. HBCU is a institution designation, not based on the conference they are in. There's HBCU's in traditionally non-HBCU conferences (like Tennessee State in the OVC, for example). So regardless of NC A&T being in the MEAC, Big South, or if they eventually work their way up to FBS and join the Sun Belt or something, they're still considered a HBCU.
Maybe the OVC will get lucky and TSU will leave for the MEAC.

Nor Eastern
February 6th, 2020, 04:07 PM
My question regarding the Future Act was sincere and I tried to avoid anything political about it.

Putting it the way you did was throwing water on a grease fire. But to the actual bill itself... It's like throwing a cup of dirt on a seed and wondering if it'll grow into a sequoias.

- - - Updated - - -

Big South couldn't have gotten a better basketball program in the available lot of schools.

ASU33
February 6th, 2020, 04:13 PM

I wouldn't bet on that at all.

JSUSoutherner
February 6th, 2020, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't bet on that at all.
Probably not. But it's a nice thought.

ST_Lawson
February 6th, 2020, 04:14 PM

They might be hurting for another member or two after NC A&T leaves and if Bethune-Cookman ends up having to make major changes to make the financial situation work. They already lost Hampton for the Big South last year. If they're wanting to bring in a HBCU, TSU is pretty much their only other option unless there's a DII looking to move up.

The MEAC currently has 9 football playing schools, so minus NC A&T, they're at 8, which is still fine. They may want to drop the North/South conference division, but they probably don't need another member at this point. The B-C situation is where things might start to get dicey.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 6th, 2020, 04:16 PM

I can see that but you threw "Trump" in so we both know that probably isn't going to lead to productive discussion in here so I felt I needed to make that point early.

Honestly, if you have a question like that I'd have no problem at all with starting a thread in the poli lounge and placing a link to it in a reply on this thread so you can still have the freedom to do as you would like...just an extra step or so but it would work out better.xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
February 6th, 2020, 04:16 PM
They might be hurting for another member or two after NC A&T leaves and if Bethune-Cookman ends up having to make major changes to make the financial situation work. They already lost Hampton for the Big South last year. If they're wanting to bring in a HBCU, TSU is pretty much their only other option unless there's a DII looking to move up.

A&T goes to the Big South.
JSU goes to the Big South.
TSU goes to the MEAC.
WIU and YSU go to the OVC.

Everyone wins.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 6th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Putting it the way you did was throwing water on a grease fire. But to the actual bill itself... It's like throwing a cup of dirt on a seed and wondering if it'll grow into a sequoias.

- - - Updated - - -

Big South couldn't have gotten a better basketball program in the available lot of schools.

Nailed it.

ST_Lawson
February 6th, 2020, 04:20 PM
WIU and YSU go to the OVC.

Everyone wins.

Not sure if that really helps us much. Football would be a bit more competitive, basketball less so. Travel for football, maybe a bit worse than the current MVFC setup, but better for other sports. I feel like it'd essentially balance out, but I haven't really dug into the numbers on that to know for sure.

Lorne_Malvo
February 6th, 2020, 04:22 PM
I can see that but you threw "Trump" in so we both know that probably isn't going to lead to productive discussion in here so I felt I needed to make that point early.

Honestly, if you have a question like that I'd have no problem at all with starting a thread in the poli lounge and placing a link to it in a reply on this thread so you can still have the freedom to do as you would like...just an extra step or so but it would work out better.xthumbsupx

No problem.

ASU33
February 6th, 2020, 04:25 PM

The MEAC currently has 9 football playing schools, so minus NC A&T, they're at 8, which is still fine. They may want to drop the North/South conference division, but they probably don't need another member at this point. The B-C situation is where things might start to get dicey.

The MEAC doesn't have divisions. The next few months for the MEAC are critical to the overall longevity of the conference.

JSUSoutherner
February 6th, 2020, 04:27 PM
Not sure if that really helps us much. Football would be a bit more competitive, basketball less so. Travel for football, maybe a bit worse than the current MVFC setup, but better for other sports. I feel like it'd essentially balance out, but I haven't really dug into the numbers on that to know for sure.

Well considering the furthest football trip would be an 8 hour trek to Cookeville every other year, I'd wager a bet the OVC is a better fit than going to the Dakota's. The closest Dakota school is 7.5 hours.

ST_Lawson
February 6th, 2020, 04:29 PM
The MEAC doesn't have divisions. The next few months for the MEAC are critical to the overall longevity of the conference.

Sorry, was just going off of wikipedia for that. They were listing divisions, but I probably should have checked the MEAC site for that.

You're right on that second point. It feels like it's pretty much "make or break" time for the MEAC.

Well considering the furthest football trip would be an 8 hour trek to Cookeville every other year, I'd wager a bet the OVC is a better fit than going to the Dakota's. The closest Dakota school is 7.5 hours.

Ah, ok. True, if you're considering JSU to the Big South. That's a much tighter conference then.

Lion1983
February 6th, 2020, 04:35 PM
Sorry, was just going off of wikipedia for that. They were listing divisions, but I probably should have checked the MEAC site for that.

You're right on that second point. It feels like it's pretty much "make or break" time for the MEAC.

Ah, ok. True, if you're considering JSU to the Big South. That's a much tighter conference then.

I dont think JSU will join the Big South.

This still doesn't change the fact that the ASUN is basically trying to split. If JSU goes anywhere, it will be to join UNA and KSU in the UAC...

ASU33
February 6th, 2020, 04:36 PM

The MEAC will probably make another run at Alabama State and Alabama A&M again and you'll probably see them test their luck with Tennessee State. If those schools don't jump at the offer then you'll start to see more schools exit the MEAC.

JSUSoutherner
February 6th, 2020, 04:37 PM
I dont think JSU will join the Big South.

This still doesn't change the fact that the ASUN is basically trying to split. If JSU goes anywhere, it will be to join UNA and KSU in the UAC...

Ok, I've been under a rock for a while. What's the UAC?

cx500d
February 6th, 2020, 04:54 PM
We won’t see hootyhoo until next November

Panther88
February 6th, 2020, 05:18 PM
Que up the Alabama State and Alabama A&M talks to the MEAC again.

Yepper. I thought this was an interesting fact:

In 2017-18 fiscal year, the MEAC reported annual revenue at $12,409,055.

The Big South reported $6,096,850

Who actually needs who?

dbackjon
February 6th, 2020, 05:26 PM
Yepper. I thought this was an interesting fact:

In 2017-18 fiscal year, the MEAC reported annual revenue at $12,409,055.

The Big South reported $6,096,850

Who actually needs who?

How much is that Celebration Bowl?
How much more do MEAC members spend on travel?

Panther88
February 6th, 2020, 05:28 PM
How much is that Celebration Bowl?
How much more do MEAC members spend on travel?

I don't think The CB has anything to do w/ their decision, if it holds true. Not sure of the individual members but there's a HUGE stretch of their overall budgets dedicated to team travel. DelawareSt to FAMU? Ridiculous.

dgtw
February 6th, 2020, 07:02 PM
Ok, I've been under a rock for a while. What's the UAC?

That is the new conference that is supposed to be formed when the ASun does their big expansion thing.

JSUSoutherner
February 6th, 2020, 07:23 PM
That is the new conference that is supposed to be formed when the ASun does their big expansion thing.

So is this actually happening or is this just someone's pipe dream?

Lion1983
February 6th, 2020, 09:09 PM
So is this actually happening or is this just someone's pipe dream?

It may be a pipe dream, but at least it's the ASUN commissioners pipe dream and not just people on sports forums pipe dreams...

SUPharmacist
February 6th, 2020, 09:40 PM
If NC A&T has a great season in the Big South and a solid post season are they still eligible for the Black College Football National Championship or is that reserved for the Celebration Bowl winner at this point? I hope this works out well for the Aggies and that the MEAC also finds the stability they need. This should be a solid addition for the Big South and could create some good rivalries for all parties.

WestCoastAggie
February 6th, 2020, 10:01 PM
It may be a pipe dream, but at least it's the ASUN commissioners pipe dream and not just people on sports forums pipe dreams...

It’s definitely a lofty goal.

dewey
February 7th, 2020, 12:00 AM
I am excited to see A&T get into the playoffs. Monmouth, Kennesaw State and A&T is a pretty good top 3 teams in the Big South.

Dewey

Herder
February 7th, 2020, 06:22 AM
This is a fairly big deal for an HBCU to shun their cash cow bowl and leave their hbcu conf to pursue greater competition and playoffs. Maybe this move is an FBS stepping stone, but a bold move none the less.

It’s not as big of a deal as Yale calling bull**** on the Ivy and joining the Patriot . . . Now that would be a big myth buster of the IVy charade.

GAD
February 7th, 2020, 06:47 AM
It will be interesting to see if there fan base remains as engaged

caribbeanhen
February 7th, 2020, 06:49 AM
I am excited to see A&T get into the playoffs. Monmouth, Kennesaw State and A&T is a pretty good top 3 teams in the Big South.

Dewey

Yes and would have to say A&T would be the immediate front runner in the Big South... Let's see what they can do in the playoffs ... and that big upset over the Bison that's coming

Anthony215
February 7th, 2020, 07:22 AM
I don't think The CB has anything to do w/ their decision, if it holds true. Not sure of the individual members but there's a HUGE stretch of their overall budgets dedicated to team travel. DelawareSt to FAMU? Ridiculous.

I can only imagine that travel bill from Tallahassee to New Castle (If they're flying out of the small regional airport there) and then the bus ride to Dover for 65 players and a staff of about 20 others plus equipment. And because it's 2 florida schools in the confernece every year they're making a trek to Florida.

WestCoastAggie
February 7th, 2020, 07:29 AM
I can only imagine that travel bill from Tallahassee to New Castle (If they're flying out of the small regional airport there) and then the bus ride to Dover for 65 players and a staff of about 20 others plus equipment. And because it's 2 florida schools in the confernece every year they're making a trek to Florida.

There are times where A&T has to travel to Florida twice and up to Princess Anne (Eastern Shore) and Maryland in the same year, in multiple sports. And for those posting that data from the 990 form, the schools aren't getting as much of that money as it's being perceived. Not to mention, the streaming/TV contract will be better for us.

But it doesn't make it any less emotional.

Professor Chaos
February 7th, 2020, 07:53 AM
Yes and would have to say A&T would be the immediate front runner in the Big South... Let's see what they can do in the playoffs ... and that big upset over the Bison that's coming
Are you saying that Paul is getting old and is past his prime???

dewey
February 7th, 2020, 09:18 AM
Very interesting that the A&T fans have been saying how much money A&T is making off the Celebration Bowl and the high attendance. Then to trade all that in for the Big South and the playoffs.

It will be interesting to hear what other reasons get released.

Edit. Here is an article about what A&T gains and loses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.greensboro.com/sports/college/ncat/what-a-t-gains-and-loses-with-the-move-to/article_a1c172b9-eba1-56cc-aa6c-7c1fc047aff9.amp.html

Dewey

HootyHoo
February 7th, 2020, 09:26 AM

I’m glad you asked, As KSU’s self appointed Conference Czar, this is the first domino to fall in my master plan to create an FCS super conference. NC A&T is joining the Big South, but in the future they will be a founding member of the United Athletic Conference along with KSU, UNA, Jacksonville St, Chattanooga, and more.

JSUSoutherner
February 7th, 2020, 10:00 AM
I’m glad you asked, As KSU’s self appointed Conference Czar, this is the first domino to fall in my master plan to create an FCS super conference. NC A&T is joining the Big South, but in the future they will be a founding member of the United Athletic Conference along with KSU, UNA, Jacksonville St, Chattanooga, and more.

It's November already?

kdinva
February 7th, 2020, 10:24 AM
Presser:

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/sports/ncat-aggies-leave-meac-joining-big-south-switching-conferences-athletics/83-6b3163f8-6f93-491c-83e2-cdc6cf289801

Anthony215
February 7th, 2020, 10:26 AM
There are times where A&T has to travel to Florida twice and up to Princess Anne (Eastern Shore) and Maryland in the same year, in multiple sports. And for those posting that data from the 990 form, the schools aren't getting as much of that money as it's being perceived. Not to mention, the streaming/TV contract will be better for us.

But it doesn't make it any less emotional.

It'll definitely be quite a change especially having to play new conference members and recruiting will definitely change as the players recruited will be more diversified. Previously I thought A&T did a good job with identifying and bringing in a few kids who weren't African American and selling them on the program/school, but they may entice more local kids within the region to come to Greensboro and play what's perceived to be better competition and a legit chance at winning a national championship. The real question is if BCU drops football will this cancel out the Celebration Bowl contract early with 2 conference schools gone off the original contract....

Anthony215
February 7th, 2020, 10:28 AM
So does this make NC A&T ineligible for the Celebration Bowl this upcoming season? If so I guess SC State & FAMU will battle it out and if A&T won the MEAC with best record they'd get the leagues auto bid into the playoffs.

WestCoastAggie
February 7th, 2020, 10:31 AM
So does this make NC A&T ineligible for the Celebration Bowl this upcoming season? If so I guess SC State & FAMU will battle it out and if A&T won the MEAC with best record they'd get the leagues auto bid into the playoffs.

Nope! We're still full members of the conference and we gave the conference full notice of our intentions to leave. Hampton tried to leave in the same FY while still keeping full-membership. You can't do both. By-Laws require advance notice of leaving.

kdinva
February 7th, 2020, 10:38 AM
It'll definitely be quite a change especially having to play new conference members and.....

A & T folks gonna enjoy Chuck South's 775 seat "arena"...

AmsterBison
February 7th, 2020, 10:45 AM
Today I learned that NC A&T has a bowling team.

Professor Chaos
February 7th, 2020, 11:02 AM
https://twitter.com/ncatsuaggies/status/1225803295123542018

This made me go xeyebrowx

Appears they were very actively trying to get out of the MEAC.

Herder
February 7th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Wow, that's a tough decision, but likely a step forward for a growing institution. Yale is on the clock in pursuit of playoff eligibility.

WestCoastAggie
February 7th, 2020, 11:52 AM

We almost made the jump allegedly back in 2014/15. There was a detailed ppt presentation which detailed the cost savings of leaving the MEAC.

uni88
February 7th, 2020, 11:58 AM
We almost made the jump allegedly back in 2014/15. There was a detailed ppt presentation which detailed the cost savings of leaving the MEAC.

Is it all about the cost savings or is there a concern that the Celebration Bowl contract won't be renewed or renewed at a lower amount?

uni88
February 7th, 2020, 12:00 PM

Will you be able to handle it when KSU is the little brother in that conference?

Chalupa Batman
February 7th, 2020, 12:03 PM

Great, Lakes sees this and he’ll really be harping about trying to get NDSU to solicit the MWC, MAC, or AAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
February 7th, 2020, 12:10 PM
Great, Lakes sees this and he’ll really be harping about trying to get NDSU to solicit the MWC, MAC, or AAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This A&T move is proof that these kinds of conference invite solicitations do not happen in the public eye and for good reason. I bet if we'd all be pretty surprised to find out how many schools have had these kinds of conversations and with various conferences but nothing has come from it (at least not yet).

Lorne_Malvo
February 7th, 2020, 12:39 PM
This A&T move is proof that these kinds of conference invite solicitations do not happen in the public eye and for good reason. I bet if we'd all be pretty surprised to find out how many schools have had these kinds of conversations and with various conferences but nothing has come from it (at least not yet).

As it pertains to NDSU, I think very little. You dont want to go poking around and get a good offer before you are actually ready to make a move.
Its pretty obvious that the Aggies administration wanted to move very quickly.

OhioHen
February 7th, 2020, 12:47 PM
A & T folks gonna overflow Chuck South's 775 seat "arena"...

FIFY

that guy
February 7th, 2020, 01:26 PM
I think this is a good move for A&T as it should increase their brand nationally; guessing they really didn't have the best of both worlds as stated on different thread.

caribbeanhen
February 7th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Are you saying that Paul is getting old and is past his prime???

haha funny, But back when Paul started doing duets with Michael Jackson that was pretty much true

BurialGround
February 7th, 2020, 03:07 PM
Great for the Big South, and as a KSU guy, great for us too. A great trade for the annual Presbyterian snoozer. Fine by me that most seem to think they're gonna thump us, Coach Bo has done a pretty good job of preparing us for big games! I'm very excited for next season.

Thumper 76
February 7th, 2020, 06:00 PM

Oh sure credit me on here but not Twitter xsmhx

Oh yeah, the whole JSU to Big South idea was all Thumper.

But the YSU part was. Therefore it all is my idea. You’re supposed to be planning flights anyways.

DEX
February 8th, 2020, 09:30 AM
Wasn't Delaware St. trying to get an invite to the Big South a few years ago?

Any rumblings about them making the move too?

No chance of them moving to the BSC. Latest rumor has them trying to get an invite to the NEC.

DEX
February 8th, 2020, 09:53 AM
Huge difference in travel - average distance in the Big South will be 154 miles, with no trip over 267 (Charleston Southern). Average trip in MEAC is 340 miles. MEAC features 6 schools over 6 hours away. The Florida schools are 8+. 5 schools up north, Howard is closest, with average travel time just under 6 hours. That is a lot of travel for student-athletes

Bingo! The MEAC's footprint is just to long. Our AD asked/warned the MEAC back in 2015 to come up with a solution as were already looking to move. If it hadn't been for the success of the Celebration Bowl I think we would have left a few years ago.

Professor
February 10th, 2020, 07:58 AM
See you in 2021 FCS Playoffs

Professor
February 10th, 2020, 08:02 AM
Is it all about the cost savings or is there a concern that the Celebration Bowl contract won't be renewed or renewed at a lower amount?

Moreso cost savings. For example, our basketball teams are on their Florida Swing. The left Greensboro for Tallahassee on Thursday. Arrived in Tally on Fri and had practice and overnight. Game on sat. Back to hotel. Sun morning , Bus to Daytona. check in and then practice. Then game Monday evening. Then shower after game and his road back to Greensboro. Arrive Tuesday afternoon.

Now this is for all the Olympic sports. That is why we are gone

walliver
February 10th, 2020, 08:17 AM
I wonder if NC Central and SC State will look to move also. Both fall within the Carolinas-Virginia all sports footprint of the Big South.

I also wonder if this move explains the current A-Sun expansion talk. Does the A-Sun somehow hope to pick up the remaining MEAC members? I don't see the non-football Big South members wanting to expand the footprint. My biggest question mark with the A-Sun expansion was where all these new members would come from. A liquidation of the MEAC would produce a good number of teams. I just question how many remaining MEAC schools would want to play in a non-HBCU conference.

Derby City Duke
February 10th, 2020, 11:00 AM
The Aggies should rise to the top of the Big South pretty quickly (read: immediately upon joining). Expect them to make the playoffs in their first year in the Big South.

Lion1983
February 10th, 2020, 12:21 PM
I wonder if NC Central and SC State will look to move also. Both fall within the Carolinas-Virginia all sports footprint of the Big South.

I also wonder if this move explains the current A-Sun expansion talk. Does the A-Sun somehow hope to pick up the remaining MEAC members? I don't see the non-football Big South members wanting to expand the footprint. My biggest question mark with the A-Sun expansion was where all these new members would come from. A liquidation of the MEAC would produce a good number of teams. I just question how many remaining MEAC schools would want to play in a non-HBCU conference.

There was much speculation about what the ASUN was doing, and where the extra schools would come from.

Even some speculation that it may come from the Big South.

That being said, after the series of videos put out by the ASUN commissioner, it's kinda cut and dry, at least on where the schools will come from.

He states that UNA and KSU would go to the UAC, being a FCS conference, along with 6 others from around the Southeast that are state funded public FCS schools.

The ASUN wants to get to 12-14 members. He didnt mention were they would come from. And being that he says that they have to maintain the core 7, that tells me that the ASUN will more than likely go after mostly D2 schools.

So the ASUN will expand with a few D2 schools

The UAC will basically be a new conference with 8 schools, UNA, KSU and 6 current FCS schools.

Where those schools come from is purely speculation. I have however had conversation with the Commissioner via Email and he said the other 6 are on board with the proposal and it will be up to the NCAA going forward, and said at the NCAA meetings, they seemed receptive to the idea.

smilo
February 10th, 2020, 03:04 PM
I was just looking at the MEAC remaining baseball footprint, and it's an even bigger laugher than some of their other sports. NCCU needs to escape this nightmare quickly so the others can just sort themselves out into an arrangement that allows for any sort of competitiveness. If they exit, it would force everyone else's hands. You can't handle an extra round of Florida roadtrips, you really can't. It's not even like you can easily pair with softball travel given three extra teams (50% more) for the logical adjacent sport.

Delaware State
Coppin State
UMES

Norfolk State
NC Central

Bethune Cookman
FAMU

WestCoastAggie
February 11th, 2020, 08:29 AM
This is gonna be a long process. 😪

Anthony215
February 11th, 2020, 01:18 PM
If the Celebration Bowl contract is not extended does the SWAC still abstain from the playoffs????? I know due to the Bayou Classic Southern/Grambling State will never participate in the playoffs but for a school like Alcorn State if they ran the table is a SWAC Championship game the end goal rather than competing in the playoffs? With no Celebration Bowl there won't be a "game" that determines the Black College Football Champion unless both Southern/Grambling State are undefeated Thanksgiving Weekend.

Professor
February 11th, 2020, 02:16 PM
If the Celebration Bowl contract is not extended does the SWAC still abstain from the playoffs????? I know due to the Bayou Classic Southern/Grambling State will never participate in the playoffs but for a school like Alcorn State if they ran the table is a SWAC Championship game the end goal rather than competing in the playoffs? With no Celebration Bowl there won't be a "game" that determines the Black College Football Champion unless both Southern/Grambling State are undefeated Thanksgiving Weekend.

Contract will be extended according to a tweet from the executive director John Grant , Jr.

And the SWAC doesn't abstain from the playoffs. All it's teams aren't eligible due to games conflicting with Playoff schedule. Gram and Southern will never play in the playoffs because the 1st round is the same as the Bayou. Then the winner of the East and West Divisions play in the SWAC title game , 1st sat in Dec. The other teams are eligible to get an at -large but they usual don't meet the criteria of the committee

Anthony215
February 11th, 2020, 02:42 PM
Contract will be extended according to a tweet from the executive director John Grant , Jr.

And the SWAC doesn't abstain from the playoffs. All it's teams aren't eligible due to games conflicting with Playoff schedule. Gram and Southern will never play in the playoffs because the 1st round is the same as the Bayou. Then the winner of the East and West Divisions play in the SWAC title game , 1st sat in Dec. The other teams are eligible to get an at -large but they usual don't meet the criteria of the committee

Thats good to know that the Celebration Bowl will be extended. Time for a new MEAC team to step up, if SCSU can sustain and maintain their budget to stay at the D1 level while keeping football then them, FAMU and NCCU should be able to battle every year for the MEAC title and compete against the SWAC champion in the Bowl Game.

NY Crusader 2010
February 11th, 2020, 07:59 PM
The last SWAC team to participate in the I-AA playoffs was Jackson State in 1996. They were boat-raced by Yankee Conference champ William & Mary in the Round of 16.

With or without the Celebration Bowl, the only way the SWAC sends a playoff entrant is if a school not named Grambling or Southern, who also doesn't happen to win one of the two 5-team divisions, is good enough to earn an at-large. Each of the division winners plays in the SWAC Championship Game which coincides with the FCS Playoffs, as does the Bayou Classic.

The other (EXTREMELY) unlikely scenario:

Either Grambling or Southern has such a great season that they earn a first round playoff bye but somehow don't win the SWAC West Division. This would mean that they could play the Bayou Classic Thanksgiving Day and then go right into the second round of the bracket.

HAL_9000
February 12th, 2020, 12:41 AM
The last SWAC team to participate in the I-AA playoffs was Jackson State in 1996. They were boat-raced by Yankee Conference champ William & Mary in the Round of 16.

With or without the Celebration Bowl, the only way the SWAC sends a playoff entrant is if a school not named Grambling or Southern, who also doesn't happen to win one of the two 5-team divisions, is good enough to earn an at-large. Each of the division winners plays in the SWAC Championship Game which coincides with the FCS Playoffs, as does the Bayou Classic.

The other (EXTREMELY) unlikely scenario:

Either Grambling or Southern has such a great season that they earn a first round playoff bye but somehow don't win the SWAC West Division. This would mean that they could play the Bayou Classic Thanksgiving Day and then go right into the second round of the bracket.

Jackson St. participated in playoffs in 1997. I was at that first round game between #13Jackson St. and #2Western Illinois in Macomb (WIU 31 JSU 24) . I seem to recall Walter Payton being on the JSU sideline although that was a long time ago maybe I mis-rememberxeyebrowx.

ASU33
February 12th, 2020, 01:02 PM
Jackson St. participated in playoffs in 1997. I was at that first round game between #13Jackson St. and #2Western Illinois in Macomb (WIU 31 JSU 24) . I seem to recall Walter Payton being on the JSU sideline although that was a long time ago maybe I mis-rememberxeyebrowx.

Walter was a fixture on the J-State sidelines after his retirement all the way up until he got very ill.

WileECoyote06
February 12th, 2020, 09:14 PM
I was just looking at the MEAC remaining baseball footprint, and it's an even bigger laugher than some of their other sports. NCCU needs to escape this nightmare quickly so the others can just sort themselves out into an arrangement that allows for any sort of competitiveness. If they exit, it would force everyone else's hands. You can't handle an extra round of Florida roadtrips, you really can't. It's not even like you can easily pair with softball travel given three extra teams (50% more) for the logical adjacent sport.

Delaware State
Coppin State
UMES

Norfolk State
NC Central

Bethune Cookman
FAMU
The MEAC was literally founded on our campus. We're going to take a wait and see approach.

Redbird 4th & short
February 15th, 2020, 10:41 AM
Walter was a fixture on the J-State sidelines after his retirement all the way up until he got very ill.

Man, I miss watching him run ... Barry Sanders was more electrifying, and broke more long runs to pad his ypc stats. But no one could grind it out, play after play, and do everything like Walter Payton. His breakaway speed was pretty good his younger years, but not so much as he got older and game started to get faster. But he was just such a phenominal runner and could do it all ... at 200 lbs, he could take and deliver big hits like no one else ever, especially at his size. And until they put it all together in 1985 and could pass some, he always did what he did without a pass offense and everyone in the stadium knowing he was going to run the ball 20-25 times every game .. some games, way more. He led the NFL in rush attempts for 1976-79. But his year with the most rushes was 1984 with 381, which was his 2nd highest rushing yards per game year .. and he turned 30 that year.

Man, he was fun to watch on Sundays.

ST_Lawson
February 17th, 2020, 06:02 PM

Yup, he was absolutely there that day. As a Bears fan, it was all I could do to pull my eyes away from Sweetness himself to pay attention to what was going on on the field. A great man and an incredible athlete, gone too soon.

Professor
February 24th, 2020, 09:40 AM
I think this is a good move for A&T as it should increase their brand nationally; guessing they really didn't have the best of both worlds as stated on different thread.

We do and did. This is about the Olympic sports. We are saving about 500k to 600k annually in travel. Celebration Bowl payout after expenses was about the same. We will miss the national exposure , but this about using that savings and reinvesting. We were in the top 3 of every conf sport except Softball last year.

With the investments we have made previously , this is an exciting time.

Everyone is just gonna have to wait and see

Anthony215
February 24th, 2020, 12:26 PM
We do and did. This is about the Olympic sports. We are saving about 500k to 600k annually in travel. Celebration Bowl payout after expenses was about the same. We will miss the national exposure , but this about using that savings and reinvesting. We were in the top 3 of every conf sport except Softball last year.

With the investments we have made previously , this is an exciting time.

Everyone is just gonna have to wait and see

Looking at the big picture I think this move will pay dividends to NC A&T while current athletes may be pissed that they'll no longer be in the MEAC in due time they'll come around. With this move A&T if they qualify for the playoffs next year (2021) they can't drop the ball by throwing in a low bid, they need to pony up the cash. Also this may open up for higher ranked recruits to decide to go to a HBCU, still play meaningful HBCU games in non conference schedules, yet compete for a playoff bid and national title. I believe the NCCU game will remain in tact and a SWAC opponent (Southern, Grambling or Alcorn State) along with the annual FBS game.

kdinva
March 2nd, 2020, 03:33 PM
Looking at the big picture......I believe the NCCU game will remain in tact and a SWAC opponent (Southern, Grambling or Alcorn State) along with the annual FBS game.

....This....

DEX
March 8th, 2020, 11:43 AM

A month later alums and fans are starting to get on board with this move. It helps that the athletic director is on a barnstorming tour to our largest alumni chapters explaining the move.

Nor Eastern
March 9th, 2020, 10:48 AM
A month later alums and fans are starting to get on board with this move. It helps that the athletic director is on a barnstorming tour to our largest alumni chapters explaining the move.

That's good to hear!

dbackjon
March 9th, 2020, 11:41 AM

Does Hampton making the Big South Finals in MBB have any effect?

Professor
March 10th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Does Hampton making the Big South Finals in MBB have any effect?

I would say none.