PDA

View Full Version : FCS Alum in the Super Bowl

NY Crusader 2010
February 3rd, 2020, 07:13 AM
Despite playing on the losing side, two FCS alum were prominent in yesterday's Super Bowl. Starting QB Jimmy Garoppolo was a former Payton Award winner at Eastern Illinois and Kyle Juszczyk of Harvard scored a TD in the second quarter.

Prior to Garropolo, who was the last FCS QB to start a Super Bowl? Kurt Warner with the Cardinals in January 2009?

In 2000, you had a Super Bowl with two I-AA QB in Warner (Rams/Northern Iowa) and Steve McNair (Titans/Alcorn State).

Also, if we looked into top I-AA / FCS / sub-DI Super Bowl performances, what would be the top 5? In my lifetime, Warner's MVP would have to be #1. Jerry Rice was also a I-AA alum from Mississippi Valley State, who I believe won an MVP as well.

Adam Vinatieri of University of North Dakota (D-II when he played) obviously had two pretty memorable Super Bowl moments with walk-off FG against Rams and Panthers.

SUPharmacist
February 3rd, 2020, 07:23 AM
Adam Vinatieri of University of North Dakota (D-II when he played) obviously had two pretty memorable Super Bowl moments with walk-off FG against Rams and Panthers.

Vinatieri went to South Dakota State.

Redbird 4th & short
February 3rd, 2020, 08:12 AM
EWU's WR Kendrick Bourne had 2 catches for 41 yards for 49ers.

ST_Lawson
February 3rd, 2020, 08:20 AM
Idk how many Leathernecks have been in Super Bowls, but I know that Leatherneck players have won 13 SB rings (18 if you include coaches).
This year was Khalen Saunders on the KC defense. I know I saw him out there on at least a couple of plays too.

Other Leathernecks with rings are:
Cyron Brown - Broncos
Frank Winters - Packers
Don Beebe - Packers
Bryan Cox - Patriots
Rodney Harrison - Patriots (x2)
Rich Seubert - Giants
Mike Wagner - Steelers (x4)
Aaron Stecker - Buccaneers

BisonTru
February 3rd, 2020, 08:20 AM
Mike Person (Montana St OL) is also the starting right guard for SF.

Henny
February 3rd, 2020, 08:35 AM
Prior to Garropolo, who was the last FCS QB to start a Super Bowl? Kurt Warner with the Cardinals in January 2009?

Joe Flacco (Delaware) was the Super Bowl MVP in 2013.

SU DOG
February 3rd, 2020, 08:47 AM
The starting strong safety for the 49ers last night was #29 Jaquiski Tartt, a 5 year NFL veteran. Tartt was a 2 times FCS All-American for my Samford Bulldogs!

Chalupa Batman
February 3rd, 2020, 10:47 AM
Despite playing on the losing side, two FCS alum were prominent in yesterday's Super Bowl. Starting QB Jimmy Garoppolo was a former Payton Award winner at Eastern Illinois and Kyle Juszczyk of Harvard scored a TD in the second quarter.

In 2000, you had a Super Bowl with two I-AA QB in Warner (Rams/Northern Iowa) and Steve McNair (Titans/Alcorn State).

Also, if we looked into top I-AA / FCS / sub-DI Super Bowl performances, what would be the top 5? In my lifetime, Warner's MVP would have to be #1. Jerry Rice was also a I-AA alum from Mississippi Valley State, who I believe won an MVP as well.

In the 1980's 1AA/FCS had a string of 4 straight Super Bowls MVP's:

XX Richard Dent (Tennessee State)
XXI Phil Simms (Morehead State)
XXII Doug Williams (Grambling State)
XXIII Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley State)

clenz
February 3rd, 2020, 11:21 AM
This year was Khalen Saunders on the KC defense. I know I saw him out there on at least a couple of plays too.

Khalen was pair with Xavier Williams of UNI as the back up DTs for KC.

Xavier grew up in Kansas City as a massive Cheifs fan. He was drafted by Arizona (in the same draft as his UNI teammate David Johnson) but didn't sign a new contract there as he had a chance to play for his hometown team. He went to HS 15 minutes from Arrowhead.

He started games for the last year, had 15 tackles through the first couple games this year before a high ankle sprain shut him down until December. Was put back on the active roster for the playoffs.

It paid off.

Literal dream scenario to win a super bowl playing for the team you grew up cheering for and going to games of in your hometown.

NY Crusader 2010
February 3rd, 2020, 11:42 AM

Joe Flacco (Delaware) was the Super Bowl MVP in 2013.

And of course Rich Gannon (Delaware) also started in the Super Bowl in a losing effort in 2003 for the Raiders.

uni88
February 3rd, 2020, 11:53 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPpCGKAUwAAmY-U?format=jpg&name=large

ST_Lawson
February 3rd, 2020, 04:16 PM

Xavier grew up in Kansas City as a massive Cheifs fan. He was drafted by Arizona (in the same draft as his UNI teammate David Johnson) but didn't sign a new contract there as he had a chance to play for his hometown team. He went to HS 15 minutes from Arrowhead.

He started games for the last year, had 15 tackles through the first couple games this year before a high ankle sprain shut him down until December. Was put back on the active roster for the playoffs.

It paid off.

Literal dream scenario to win a super bowl playing for the team you grew up cheering for and going to games of in your hometown.

Yup, I thought that was pretty cool that a couple of MVFC guys got to pair up on the line there. Khalen is from St. Louis, so he wasn't too far away either. Grew up in a really rough area though. His contract with KC allowed him to get his mom out of there and move her across the state, but it's still close enough that plenty of friends and family can drive over for games. It was pretty much the perfect scenario for him, and then winning a ring in his rookie year was the icing on the cake.

JayJ79
February 3rd, 2020, 04:51 PM

It paid off.

Did he play at all in the SB last night? I didn't notice him, but wasn't paying all that much attention (and sometimes it's tough to tell with D-line players, unless they get a big sack or something).

Either way, still cool.
(also, he wasn't "drafted", but signed as an undrafted free agent, but I'm nitpicking again)

ST_Lawson
February 3rd, 2020, 07:58 PM
Did he play at all in the SB last night? I didn't notice him, but wasn't paying all that much attention (and sometimes it's tough to tell with D-line players, unless they get a big sack or something).

Either way, still cool.
(also, he wasn't "drafted", but signed as an undrafted free agent, but I'm nitpicking again)

According to the official game book (last page: https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58167/KC_Gamebook.pdf) Khalen Saunders was in on 4 defensive plays and was credited with 1 assisted tackle. It doesn't look like Xavier Williams is listed as getting in on any plays though.

Professor Chaos
February 4th, 2020, 07:46 AM
Yup, I thought that was pretty cool that a couple of MVFC guys got to pair up on the line there. Khalen is from St. Louis, so he wasn't too far away either. Grew up in a really rough area though. His contract with KC allowed him to get his mom out of there and move her across the state, but it's still close enough that plenty of friends and family can drive over for games. It was pretty much the perfect scenario for him, and then winning a ring in his rookie year was the icing on the cake.
I follow Khalen on Twitter, he's a great player but he's got a great head on his shoulders too. He had some excellent advice for any high school recruit that feels he's being under-recruited which got him a follow from me. I'm sure he's going to be successful in whatever he chooses after his NFL career as well with the drive and ambition he has. You Neck fans should feel darn proud to produce a talent and a man like that.

MSUBobcat
February 4th, 2020, 09:38 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPpCGKAUwAAmY-U?format=jpg&name=large

Soooooo.... what I'm seeing here is, MSU is equivalent to 'Bama. Is that a proper assessment? xsmiley_wixxdrunkyx

uni88
February 4th, 2020, 10:08 AM
Soooooo.... what I'm seeing here is, MSU is equivalent to 'Bama. Is that a proper assessment? xsmiley_wixxdrunkyxMSU, UNI, WIU, EWU, Samford, San Diego and Villanova are all equivalent to Bama.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MSUBobcat
February 4th, 2020, 10:38 AM
MSU, UNI, WIU, EWU, Samford, San Diego and Villanova are all equivalent to Bama.

xthumbsupx I see no flaw in that statement.

Redbird 4th & short
February 4th, 2020, 01:20 PM
MSU, UNI, WIU, EWU, Samford, San Diego and Villanova are all equivalent to Bama.

Goes without even saying.

OhioHen
February 4th, 2020, 02:20 PM

At least a few of those schools would take exception to being compared to Alabama (academically).

Ivytalk
February 4th, 2020, 03:53 PM
Juszczyk damn near scored two TDs. I think he’s the first Harvard alum to ever score a point in a Super Bowl.

SU DOG
February 4th, 2020, 03:53 PM
At least a few of those schools would take exception to being compared to Alabama (academically).

Great point Hen. I know that Samford certainly would.

Catbooster
February 5th, 2020, 02:17 PM
I enjoyed watching Person. Thought he had a good game.

A guy on a previous KC superbowl team might get consideration for that list - Jan Stenerud. But that was a long time ago.