PDA

View Full Version : Value of the Board

MDFAN
May 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM
As a new member of AGS I just wanted to thank everyone for the great insights to FCS Football. My son is in his senior year of high shcool and due to his size is being recruited for a lot of the Ivy League and Patriot League shcools plus a few FBS schools. I was initally a little disappointed that he might have to play FCS Football but after reading this board for the last couple of weeks I think maybe an FCS school may be a much better fit.

Thanks Again!!

CopperCat
May 31st, 2007, 11:26 AM
FCS is the best!!!xthumbsupx

bison95
May 31st, 2007, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the board, pay attention to leagues that don't participate in the playoffs! Your son may want the extended competition over the "education" some leagues offer.

andy7171
May 31st, 2007, 11:28 AM
Good luck to your son.
There is no shame is playing sub-FBS football.
You should only be disappointed if your son ends up playing rugby. xcoolx

dbackjon
May 31st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Welcome!!

Let us know how it turns out - good luck to your son!

BeauFoster
May 31st, 2007, 12:16 PM
Good luck to your son.

Or soccer...xlolx

BeauFoster
May 31st, 2007, 12:16 PM
Oh, and welcome to the board!

Pard94
May 31st, 2007, 12:50 PM
That is some great feedback. Let me be the first to welcome you and your son to the Lafayette family. After he tours the campus and the brand spanking new, $30 million dollar football facilities, it's all but a foregone conclusion that your son will sign with the Leopardsxsmiley_wix . Seriously, no matter what his decision, if he is looking at the Ivies or PL...he can't lose. Welcome and I hope you and your son enjoy every second of their extended football career!

DetroitFlyer
May 31st, 2007, 01:10 PM
Do not discount the PFL. Dayton, Drake, San Diego, Davidson, Butler, Valparaiso, Morehead State, and Jacksonville are often in the mix with the Ivy League and PL.

Ivytalk
May 31st, 2007, 01:12 PM
Hello, and welcome! It's an exciting time in your son's life. Best of luck to him!xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 31st, 2007, 01:21 PM
Best of luck to your son MDFAN, please stick around and let us know where he ends up. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2007, 01:27 PM
That is some great feedback. Let me be the first to welcome you and your son to the Lafayette family. After he tours the campus and the brand spanking new, $30 million dollar football facilities, it's all but a foregone conclusion that your son will sign with the Leopardsxsmiley_wix . Seriously, no matter what his decision, if he is looking at the Ivies or PL...he can't lose. Welcome and I hope you and your son enjoy every second of their extended football career!

That's right, the name of the school I hope your son would want to be looking at is spelled L-E-H-I-G-H. You know, where the Philadelphia Eagles hold their pre-season camp? xsmiley_wix

Go...gate
May 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM
As a new member of AGS I just wanted to thank everyone for the great insights to FCS Football. My son is in his senior year of high shcool and due to his size is being recruited for a lot of the Ivy League and Patriot League shcools plus a few FBS schools. I was initally a little disappointed that he might have to play FCS Football but after reading this board for the last couple of weeks I think maybe an FCS school may be a much better fit.

Thanks Again!!

IMO, FCS is more about the traditional student-athlete than many FBS programs. It's more like college football used to be...the kids play like hell to win, but they also know they have to hit the books and get their degrees because the education they are getting is going to make the biggest difference in their lives over the long term.

slostang
May 31st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the board and good luck to you and your son. Keep us up to date as his senior season progresses. He can not go wrong if he ends up at a school from the Ivy League or the Patriot League. Great education with great football.

DUPFLFan
May 31st, 2007, 03:44 PM
IMO, FCS is more about the traditional student-athlete than many FBS programs. It's more like college football used to be...the kids play like hell to win, but they also know they have to hit the books and get their degrees because the education they are getting is going to make the biggest difference in their lives over the long term.xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

mcveyrl
May 31st, 2007, 04:05 PM
Welcome to the board!! Have your son go to the place that gives him the most cash!!xsmiley_wix

Seriously, good luck with your decisions. Let us know how it goes

phillyAPP
May 31st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Best of luck to your son MDFAN, please stick around and let us know where he ends up. xthumbsupx

Hey MDFAN, you may want to change your name to a FCS name when your son chooses a school. MD is not a FCS school and you will learn to love FCS football.

GoldandBlack
May 31st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Hey MDFAN, you may want to change your name to a FCS name when your son chooses a school. MD is not a FCS school and you will learn to love FCS football.

Oh, yeah, there is a school called Maryland- I thought he was a Montana and Delaware fan.xrolleyesx

catbob
May 31st, 2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks Again!!

You don't happen to coach, do you...

McTailGator
May 31st, 2007, 05:51 PM

Thanks Again!!

Other than the IVY's

We play for the ONLY NCAA football championship.

Bowl games are simply post season exhibition games.

No_Skill
May 31st, 2007, 06:18 PM

Thanks Again!!

Just wait until the season starts. Then this place really gets rockin'. You'll need to check the board about 4-5 times per day.

GGASU
May 31st, 2007, 06:25 PM
Good luck to your son.

Nothing wrong with Rugby.

Pads are for Girls :)

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 06:25 PM

Thanks Again!!

very cool.

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Do not discount the PFL. Dayton, Drake, San Diego, Davidson, Butler, Valparaiso, Morehead State, and Jacksonville are often in the mix with the Ivy League and PL.

But the IVY and PFL won't be in the playoffs. Go Patriot.

PapaBear
May 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM
Based on two years of reading and posting on this board, I believe I'm one of the few parents of an actual FCS student-athlete on here (guess what school?).

The recruiting process is still very fresh in my mind. Like yours, my son had Ivy and PL schools -- as well as several FBS schools -- recruiting him. So it sounds like we have a lot in common.

I can point you to some very helpful FREE sources of advice and insight, if you like. Just drop me a PM.

Either way, enjoy this time and make sure your son does the same. It is crazy fun and it's ALLLL good.

PSUVikings
May 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM
Other than the IVY's

We play for the ONLY NCAA football championship.

Bowl games are simply post season exhibition games.

I never understand stuff like that, we play for the only championship!....and? Are you trying to imply that we are better then them cause we play for a real title game? Cause in reality the FCS has nothing over the FBS beyond the system.xrolleyesx

Sorry, I just feel like we are a JV football team trying to find some way to be better then the varsity off the field instead of on.

anyways good luck to your son, pick the place that he is the most comfortable with.

Seawolf97
May 31st, 2007, 07:03 PM
Best of luck to your son and welcome !

Franks Tanks
May 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the board, pay attention to leagues that don't participate in the playoffs! Your son may want the extended competition over the "education" some leagues offer.

C'mon education should be one of the major reasons who one chooses a school. Others in no particluar order should be amount of scholarship/grant money being offered, fit with the coaching staff and players currently on the team, location and level of comfort with the campus, and how hot the women are.

Franks Tanks
May 31st, 2007, 07:09 PM
C'mon education should be one of the major reasons who one chooses a school. Others in no particluar order should be amount of scholarship/grant money being offered, fit with the coaching staff and players currently on the team, location and level of comfort with the campus, and how hot the women are.

also i should point out by education I dont mean how high the school rates on some ranking system, but by choosing a school that has a major or program of study that fits what you are looking to do

Ronbo
May 31st, 2007, 07:39 PM

Thanks Again!!

For kids that are borderline FBS material FCS is a good way to go. All kids want to play and going FCS offers the opportunity. Even kids that choose a scholly at an FBS school over a FCS school can regret it later when they are in their Junior year and just getting kickoff team action. Maybe he could have been a offensive of defensive starter at a FCS school.

KAUMASS
May 31st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Welcome to AGS.

As a former recruit and player, the best advice I can give to you and your son in your college search, is don't go to a school because of a certain coach. Pick the school you want to play for regardless of the coaching staff, because it is likely the coach and coaching staff that recruited your son will not be there for the whole 4 or 5 years your son will be there. FCS football is not a step down from FBS, FBS gives 22 more scholies. That is the difference, depth. Your son will probably have a better chance to play sooner on the FCS level. A big school or state school like a UMass that has 25,000 students can give a lot of diversity and exposure
to many cultures and people and is an education within and education.
That many students is not overwhelming. Smaller schools like a Lehigh, Lafayette or Colgate offer outstanding football but demand higher academics historically.

Best of luck to you and your son.

douglasdmb
May 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM
I never understand stuff like that, we play for the only championship!....and? Are you trying to imply that we are better then them cause we play for a real title game? Cause in reality the FCS has nothing over the FBS beyond the system.xrolleyesx

Sorry, I just feel like we are a JV football team trying to find some way to be better then the varsity off the field instead of on.

anyways good luck to your son, pick the place that he is the most comfortable with.

I'm right there with ya. I think some of us have some sort of a college football fan's inferiority complex, sometimes.

ngineer
May 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Oh, yeah, there is a school called Maryland- I thought he was a Montana and Delaware fan.xrolleyesx

Here, I thought he might be a MEDICAL DOCTOR...all depends on your perspective.
MD--welcome aboard. This is a great place to learn about all the 'lesser publicized' schools that play a great brand of football. HOpe you get to visit a lot of the campus and ask a lot of questions. Your son will be spending four years at some place and it has to feel right, for the right reasons. I was recruited at several schools and it, ironically, came down to Lehigh and Lafayette. My avatar shows where I went and have never regretted a minute. In fact it wasn't until after I graduated, went to law school, and saw how well I was prepared compared to others in my 'first year boat' that I really appreciated what I had gone through.
It isn't easy, but anything worth anything, is never easy. This is also a great time for some 'bonding' as you take your campus tours. I had a great time taking both my daughter and son around the country and visiting all the different schools. ENJOY THE RIDE!

andy7171
June 1st, 2007, 07:10 AM
Nothing wrong with Rugby.

Pads are for Girls :)

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

DetroitFlyer
June 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM
THE COACH!! Mike Kelly has been at the University of Dayton for over 25 years. By any measure, he is one of the most successful coaches at any level of college football. I predict that one day, he will be the second UD coach inducted into the college football hall of fame. ( I'll give you extra credit if you know who the first coach was.... ) In addition to being a great coach, he is a great person. If you are the type of kid that fits in well at UD, ( great student, great athlete, great person ), you cannot have a more positive college football playing experience than playing for Coach Mike Kelly! Of course a UD education / experience is second to none IMHO!! ( Not that I am biased or anything ). GO FLYERS!!!!

MDFAN
June 1st, 2007, 08:02 AM
THE COACH!! Mike Kelly has been at the University of Dayton for over 25 years. By any measure, he is one of the most successful coaches at any level of college football. I predict that one day, he will be the second UD coach inducted into the college football hall of fame. ( I'll give you extra credit if you know who the first coach was.... ) In addition to being a great coach, he is a great person. If you are the type of kid that fits in well at UD, ( great student, great athlete, great person ), you cannot have a more positive college football playing experience than playing for Coach Mike Kelly! Of course a UD education / experience is second to none IMHO!! ( Not that I am biased or anything ). GO FLYERS!!!!

Harry Baujan. Extra credit!!

MDFAN
June 1st, 2007, 08:05 AM

We've seen it, not in person yet, and it is impressive.

DetroitFlyer
June 1st, 2007, 08:20 AM
Harry Baujan it is! Baujan Field on campus was the football stadium at UD for many years. It is where UD played football in our FBS, ( I-A ) days. When I was at UD in the early 80's, it was an intramural field. Today, it is a beautiful, state of the art soccer venue!

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/BaujanField.html

Above is a link to the field that carrys Harry's name.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/dayt-facilities.html

This link will take you to a site for all UD Athletics facilities. I should note that Welcome Stadium is getting field turf before the start of the 2007 season!

Great job, you earn 150% on the "test" for getting that extra credit question correct!!

Pauly LB
June 1st, 2007, 08:49 AM
MDFAN...

Best of luck to you and your son. As a previous poster noted, there absolutely is no shame in playing FCS (or as many magazines still refer to Division I-AA). My son was recruited by several west coast schools plus he visited Colorado State where he was told he was a top recruit. When Coach Lubick was able to sign a couple of JUCO transfers, all of a sudden my son was invited to compete as a walk-on. My son also had a trip scheduled at University of Nevada Reno but then they fired their Coach and his name fell off their board. I only use these as examples because this stuff happens all of the time -- the rules are ever-changing. And, it really is not that I am saying that the coaches are dishonest -- only that their situations all change -- when they make scholarship offers they "over-book" just like airlines. When they have someone accept their offer then they always reserve the right to withdraw other offers. Again, this happens all of the time.

What you have to remember is that you are not only your son's dad but you also have to be his agent. You have to help him to figure out what is best for him. If eduction is his top priority the Ivy League schools (and many others) are a great choice. If playing football at a high level is a priority over eduction (that is OK, too) then he would probably want to play in a football program that plays an extended schedule -- either bowl series (FBS) or championship series (FCS). If he wants to play at the "highest" level then his choice then it would be FBS.

There are, however, some tradeoffs. Unless your son has the physical attributes and skills and is a top recruit then he should consider FCS. You have to remember that when a top FBS school spends a scholarship on a top recruit, a walk-on has very little chance of competing for playing time against the recruit. The walk-on ends up competing for playing time on special teams. This really gets down to choices and even though you son may feel that he can compete with top recruits he is going to have to be realistic and you need to help him with that realization.

For my son, he was offered a scholarship at a top notch FCS school and (after red-shirting his freshman year) he has been a starter for two years and he still has two years left. My point is that he could have walked on at Colorado State or UCLA without a scholarship and could have competed for playing time on special teams but he has played now for two years in an FCS school. If you are a football player, there really is no substitue for playing. If you are a football player you hate to sit and watch -- AND the quality of football is excellent -- in fact last season was highlighted by a victory over one of the FCS schools that my son was interested in playing for but the football coach was not interested in him.

AND, after playing in an FCS program for five years (yes, during the redshirt year they always play but it is against their starters -- this is called scout team) my son will leave a top notch FCS school with a degree and a chance to play at the next level. I should note that students who graduate from his school with a degree get jobs -- good jobs. It is not only a top notch FCS program but also a highly respected educational institution. At the end of his run he will have a degree and possibly a chance to play at the next level.

He is having a great experience and we are happy to enjoy the experience with him. Last week when my wife and I visited our son we took him and four of his football player friends to dinner -- he took me aside and thanked me for helping him to get to play college football. Personally I consider helping my son along this journey to be one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Again, best wishes in helping your son along his journey.

MDFAN
June 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the great info Pauly LB. This is the kind of in-sight that you don't get unless you have been through the "process". There is a ton of information available on the internet but it's difficult to weed through the garbage and find the useful.

As a 6' QB my son will probably have little opportunity (unless he grows) to start anytime before his senior year, if ever, at the 1A level. I do think that, given the schools that have come down and talked to his coaches and counselors this past May that he will have a very good chance of a very succesful career in the FCS.

Of course he needs another good year this fall, take the SAT's a couple of more times to get those scores as high as possible, and to stay healthy. We will be going to several CAA and Patriot League prospect camps this June. Hopefully after those camps we will have a better "feel" for what he is looking in a school. Thanks to everyone for the kind words!!

andy7171
June 1st, 2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the great info Pauly LB. This is the kind of in-sight that you don't get unless you have been through the "process". There is a ton of information available on the internet but it's difficult to weed through the garbage and find the useful.

As a 6' QB my son will probably have little opportunity (unless he grows) to start anytime before his senior year, if ever, at the 1A level. I do think that, given the schools that have come down and talked to his coaches and counselors this past May that he will have a very good chance of a very succesful career in the FCS.

Of course he needs another good year this fall, take the SAT's a couple of more times to get those scores as high as possible, and to stay healthy. We will be going to several CAA and Patriot League prospect camps this June. Hopefully after those camps we will have a better "feel" for what he is looking in a school. Thanks to everyone for the kind words!!
Whoa there! I just noticed you're from Calvert County! Towsons QB Sean Shaefer is from Calvert County (Northern HS) who will be graduating just in time for your son to continue the Calvert influence.

MDFAN
June 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM
yup

NE MT GRIZZ
June 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM
MDFAN,
Check out some photos of Washington-Grizzly stadium and Missoula, it might make your son's decision easier.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

HensRock
June 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM
MDFAN,
Check out some photos of Delaware stadium and Newark, it might make your son's decision easier.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Fixed it for ya xthumbsupx

Oh, and Flyer, "UD" already has 3 coaches in the college football hall of fame. They also just happen to be the 3 previous ones: :D

Bill Murray (1940-1950) 11 seasons 49-16-2 (.747)
David Nelson (1951-1965) 15 seasons 84-42-2 (.664)
"Tubby" Raymond (1966-2001) 36 seasons 300-119-3 (.714)

bobbythekidd
June 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM
MDFAN,
Check out some photos of Washington-Grizzly stadium and Missoula, it might make your son's decision easier.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

What's it look like?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

OB55
June 1st, 2007, 04:44 PM
What's it look like?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Montana_S/stadium_sd.jpg

bobbythekidd
June 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/vs_Montana_S/stadium_sd.jpg

It was a joke OB.xthumbsupx We have seen it more times than all other stadiums combined.

OB55
June 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM
It was a joke OB.xthumbsupx We have seen it more times than all other stadiums combined.

He posted that on the smack thread, just doing what I do, helping xlolxxlolx

Yeah I figured that image has been permanently burned in everyones retinas. xlolxxlolxxlolx:D

BeauFoster
June 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM

What a dump! :D

Just kinding, Grizzies. That was just a little smack on the FCS board.

LBPop
June 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Well now, we may end up having a lot in common. I'm a Terrapin Alum with a kid playing FCS football. It's all been good. Sure, Georgetown doesn't win a lot, but my son loves the place, has played since his freshman year, and started as a junior (he will be a senior in 2007). But the best part for him has been the environment and the perspective of football vs. education/opportunities.

You see, he was recruited for and accepted a New York internship with a big deal Investment Bank. When he told the coach that he would be spending the summer in NY, the coach wished him luck and simply said that if he was at a I-A school it could have been an issue. But at an FCS school (and non-scholarship as well), he expects this kind of thing and takes pride that one of his players (actually two of them got a NY internship) has such an opportunity.

As many have said, this is a wonderful time in both your lives. Enjoy it, remember it, and make the best choice. We got lucky and I am getting very sentimental about the coming season being LBKid's last. However, I am not going to miss those %^$*#! tuition bills. xhurrayx

Go...gate
June 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Well now, we may end up having a lot in common. I'm a Terrapin Alum with a kid playing FCS football. It's all been good. Sure, Georgetown doesn't win a lot, but my son loves the place, has played since his freshman year, and started as a junior (he will be a senior in 2007). But the best part for him has been the environment and the perspective of football vs. education/opportunities.

You see, he was recruited for and accepted a New York internship with a big deal Investment Bank. When he told the coach that he would be spending the summer in NY, the coach wished him luck and simply said that if he was at a I-A school it could have been an issue. But at an FCS school (and non-scholarship as well), he expects this kind of thing and takes pride that one of his players (actually two of them got a NY internship) has such an opportunity.

As many have said, this is a wonderful time in both your lives. Enjoy it, remember it, and make the best choice. We got lucky and I am getting very sentimental about the coming season being LBKid's last. However, I am not going to miss those %^$*#! tuition bills. xhurrayx

Great story. Best wishes to your son.

ngineer
June 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM

Looks like they're either burning the stadium down or fumigating it...;) :D

AppFan61
June 1st, 2007, 10:52 PM

Thanks Again!!

Familiar story. Went through the same experience. My son got to play as true freshman. You can't go wrong. The best part about the FCS is the 15 weeks of tailgating!

james_lawfirm
June 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM
The best part about the FCS is the 15 weeks of tailgating!

Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen.

BrevardMountaineer03
June 2nd, 2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks Again!!

First off, Welcome, this is a great community.
Second, let us know how your son fairs, I hope he goes where he wants to go and gets a good education as well as plenty of PT.