PDA

View Full Version : Dartmouth to open against New Haven in 2020

Go Green
January 30th, 2020, 02:48 PM
It appears that D-II New Haven is the best Dartmouth could get for a home opener this Fall after Jacksonville dropped football.

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2020/1/30/football-dartmouth-finalizes-fall-schedule-200130.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0o5xxXWNeiOJBjxYuYASCV_8XTm 0cmvCARt2ptFcZPc1Q5hIdY2Y3HtPs

I'm guessing we didn't have a lot of good options. Not sure if we made any efforts to get multiple teams to move things around. But if we did, they were obviously not fruitful.

We better win...

NY Crusader 2010
January 30th, 2020, 03:21 PM
What's the date?

Too bad the Ivy League isn't allowed to start early as Holy Cross had an open date for September 5th which we filled with Merrimack. Previously our open date had been 10/31 but BC had us move the game from 9/5 to that date.

On another note, I'm glad you guys are actually playing a game, even against a D-II, because I could totally see most Ivy League schools in this scenario simply opting to just play a nine-game schedule. 4-5 years ago Colgate played ten games rather than schedule a PSAC team to fill out a full schedule.

Go Green
January 30th, 2020, 03:33 PM
What's the date?

On another note, I'm glad you guys are actually playing a game, even against a D-II, because I could totally see most Ivy League schools in this scenario simply opting to just play a nine-game schedule. 4-5 years ago Colgate played ten games rather than schedule a PSAC team to fill out a full schedule.

Sept. 19.

And I fully concur that a game is better than no game. It gets boring going up against your own teammates week after week...

caribbeanhen
January 30th, 2020, 04:56 PM
New Haven was planning on moving up I believe

NY Crusader 2010
January 30th, 2020, 05:16 PM
New Haven was planning on moving up I believe

The new AD they hired in September was tasked with leading that "exploration". I honestly don't know either way if that's a worthwhile move for them but I must say that low-level Division I athletics is starting to get a little bit over-saturated in New England, especially in the state of Connecticut.

bonarae
January 30th, 2020, 05:45 PM
Oh my. New Haven? They are like ETSU, after having dropped football, restarted it after a while and they are quite up to winning ways again.

Go Green
January 30th, 2020, 07:20 PM
Oh my. New Haven? They are like ETSU, after having dropped football, restarted it after a while and they are quite up to winning ways again.

My guess is that NH would probably do just fine against several FCS schools.

Let's hope that Dartmouth isn't one of them. :)

NY Crusader 2010
January 30th, 2020, 08:15 PM
New Haven has played two Division I games that I remember:

1) A WIN over Villanova in the late 1990's. VU was coming off a national semifinal appearance and UNH was coming off a D-II Final loss to Northern Colorado if I recall.
2) A close 13-10 loss to William & Mary in 2010 or 2011. This game happened I believe because Old Dominion backed out from playing a scheduled game against The Tribe. They didn't think the team would be ready to compete against CAA competition just yet.

This is also only the second time I can recall an Ivy scheduling sub-DI. The other was Penn opening with Ohio Dominican a couple years ago.

Son of Eli
January 30th, 2020, 10:34 PM
My guess is that NH would probably do just fine against several FCS schools.

Let's hope that Dartmouth isn't one of them. :)

I think Dartmouth will win easily, provided they take UNH seriously. If not it’s quite possible UNH could pull a major upset. It’s not a gimme.

Go Green
January 31st, 2020, 05:15 AM
New Haven has played two Division I games that I remember:

1) A WIN over Villanova in the late 1990's. VU was coming off a national semifinal appearance and UNH was coming off a D-II Final loss to Northern Colorado if I recall.
2) A close 13-10 loss to William & Mary in 2010 or 2011. This game happened I believe because Old Dominion backed out from playing a scheduled game against The Tribe. They didn't think the team would be ready to compete against CAA competition just yet.

This is also only the second time I can recall an Ivy scheduling sub-DI. The other was Penn opening with Ohio Dominican a couple years ago.

They lost 41-31 to Bryant a few years ago.

https://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20180901tkqola

The Ivy has played four games against what were not considered D-I opponents.

Penn beat Ohio Dominican a few years ago.

Columbia lost to then D-III Villanova in 1986

Yale trashed Morgan State in 1984

Cornell beat Merchant Marine in 1982

UNHWildcat18
January 31st, 2020, 07:31 AM
The new AD they hired in September was tasked with leading that "exploration". I honestly don't know either way if that's a worthwhile move for them but I must say that low-level Division I athletics is starting to get a little bit over-saturated in New England, especially in the state of Connecticut.

I completely agree, All these rinky dink schools moving up to D1 that have no business being there. I think the NEC is full though so New Haven would be **** out of luck anyways.

Go Green
January 31st, 2020, 10:40 AM
I completely agree, All these rinky dink schools moving up to D1 that have no business being there. I think the NEC is full though so New Haven would be **** out of luck anyways.

Anyone wanting to discuss NH's plans further, work product already exists: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?233108-Univ-of-New-Haven-exploring-Division-I-FCS/page2

Sitting Bull
January 31st, 2020, 01:17 PM
This game happened I believe because Old Dominion backed out from playing a scheduled game against The Tribe. They didn't think the team would be ready to compete against CAA competition just yet.

One could argue that ODU is still not ready for CAA competition

dewey
January 31st, 2020, 04:02 PM
Kudos to Dartmouth and New Hampshire for scheduling this game. Big time early season test for both teams.

Dang it....reading failure on my part.

Dewey

PAllen
January 31st, 2020, 04:03 PM
Kudos to Dartmouth and New Hampshire for scheduling this game. Big time early season test for both teams.

Dewey

Uhhh.

TheValleyRaider
January 31st, 2020, 05:17 PM

It was 2016, and I believe the dropped game was Bryant. If Colgate is going to drop NEC foes, they aren't dipping into the D-II pool

dewey
January 31st, 2020, 05:32 PM
Uhhh.

Dang it! Reading fail on my partxconfusedx

Dewey

aceinthehole
February 2nd, 2020, 11:20 AM
Anyone wanting to discuss NH's plans further, work product already exists: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?233108-Univ-of-New-Haven-exploring-Division-I-FCS/page2

As I pointed out in that thread, the Chargers have a decent history of I-AA/FCS scalps.

I think Big Green wins this game without too much of a problem, but UConn, Lafayette, Monmouth, Robert Morris, and Villanova have all previously lost to D-II New Haven.