PDA

View Full Version : "A Lot Less Gray Hair"

blur2005
August 12th, 2005, 02:43 PM
"A Lot Less Gray Hair"

By MIKE BARBER
Daily News-Record

Jeff Bourne stood on the sideline during James Madison football practice with a lot less on his mind than in recent years. With his program coming off the school’s first NCAA championship in a men’s sport and his head coach signed through 2010, the athletic director can just enjoy watching a little football.

"I have a lot less gray hair," Bourne said, laughing while the Dukes ran conditioning sprints Thursday.

After a string of disappointing seasons forced JMU to weigh coach Mickey Matthews’ future before the 2003 campaign, last year’s Division I-AA championship has made life far less stressful at Bridgeforth Stadium.

Matthews is now the toast of I-AA football, and his bosses at Madison have nothing but praise for where the Dukes are headed. On Thursday, Bourne said the program is strong – not just for this year’s team, but for the future as well.

"You look at the kids that are returning from last year, they bring a lot of talent to the team," Bourne said. "If you look deeper than that, you see a lot of young kids that have come in that are new that are very good athletes."

As he has in past, more tumultuous years, Bourne refused to make a prediction for the Dukes, who play a weak non-conference schedule but a brutal Atlantic 10 slate, including out-of-division games at Massachusetts and Hofstra and divisional road games at Delaware and William & Mary.

But he did say returning to the playoffs after the Dukes’ 13-2 season and I-AA national championship is a reasonable goal.

"Oh I think so. I think it’s certainly our goal," Bourne said. "There are a lot of ifs in any season, but I think in terms of their talent level, we look, I think, very promising."

Before Bourne gave Matthews a three-year extension after the 2003 season, he talked about wanting his coach to build a successful program, one that could consistently challenge for A-10 championships. Evaluating the talent of the underclassmen in the program, Bourne said, shows Matthews, who got a new five-year deal after winning the national title, is on his way to doing that.

"We’re looking for good, strong, competitive play and watching these young kids grow up and be able to compete at the level where we have our upperclassmen right now; that’s the secret," Bourne said. "You do that year in, year out, you’ll have good football teams."

Madison’s fans apparently agree, Bourne said. JMU set a school record for season-ticket sales for the upcoming year.

"I think it shows a strong belief that this team and future teams will continue to do well," Bourne said. "You’ve got to have that to grow your program."

The Dukes also have moved into their new home – the Plecker Athletic Center – complete with state-of-the-art weight room, training room and locker rooms.

Bourne and Matthews said returning the entire coaching staff from last season helps build continuity for both current and future players.

"Good football programs keep their coaches year after year," Matthew said. "I think it shows in our recruiting, I think it shows in our practices."

Last year, JMU hired a new offensive coordinator, Jeff Durden, from Virginia Military Institute. Durden installed a spread offense, but the Dukes remained a run-oriented team. This year, Matthews and Durden expect to pass the ball more. Matthews said having Durden together with returning quarterback Justin Rascati for a second straight year will make the team’s passing attack more effective.

"I think the biggest improvement will probably be our passing game," Matthews said. "The fact that we’ve had Rascati here for an entire year and a summer, he and Jeff have been together, I think you’ll really see a lot of improvement."

Bourne isn’t the only one enjoying a preseason without persistent questions about Matthews’ future. The newfound stability has made things more enjoyable for the assistant coaches as well, associate head coach Curt Newsome said.

Newsome is "enjoying" a preseason of worrying about replacing three starters on his offensive line instead of questions about the staff’s future.

"It’s a lot more fun," Newsome said. "It’s a lot more enjoyable. There haven’t been as many distractions."

NOTES: Linebackers Akeem Jordan (foot) and Justin Barnes (hamstring) did not practice Thursday, but freshman linebacker Trae Kenney, whose lacerated left biceps required eight stitches Wednesday, was bandaged and back on the field Thursday… Receiver D.D. Boxley tweaked his perpetually sore hamstring and sat out most of the day’s workout … Freshman tight end Mike Caussin made the catch of the day, pulling in a long seam pass with his fingertips… Matthews delivered the line of the day, telling a misaligned fullback, "I can’t coach stupid players."

Copyright 2005 Daily News-Record

Hopefully this means the Dukes will live up to the hype.

grizbeer
August 12th, 2005, 02:57 PM
No offense, but it might be a bad sign if your athletic director thinks winning a NC will lead to less stress and worries - More success = more fans and boosters = higher expectations = more people questioning your every move = more bandwagon fans who want to fire the coach/ad/whoever at any stumble = coaches getting better job offers = trying to keep momentum going = much more stress.

For the sake of fans of JMU I hope Mr. Bourne is just enjoying the calm before the storm.

blukeys
August 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
No offense, but it might be a bad sign if your athletic director thinks winning a NC will lead to less stress and worries - More success = more fans and boosters = higher expectations = more people questioning your every move = more bandwagon fans who want to fire the coach/ad/whoever at any stumble = coaches getting better job offers = trying to keep momentum going = much more stress.

For the sake of fans of JMU I hope Mr. Bourne is just enjoying the calm before the storm.
LMAO
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Way to go grizbeer!! you said exactly what I was thinking when I read the article. 2 years ago a 7-4 record at JMU would have been a good season. Go 7-4 this year and miss the playoffs this year and LOOK OUT!!!

JMU2004
August 12th, 2005, 05:10 PM
its funny....every time something about JMU is posted, posters respond with something negative.

Must come with the territory

blukeys
August 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM
its funny....every time something about JMU is posted, posters respond with something negative.

Must come with the territory

Not being negative 2004 just being realistic. The reality at long time successful prgrams such as Montana and Delaware is that success breeds higher expectations and more criticism. Believe me after Keeler's 2002 year there were calls for his head. There had been serious Tubby Raymond critics at UD for years starting in 1967. Read the posts and see who it is from and then read the article. We are responding to your AD thinking he will have fewer gray hairs. In fact JMU's success causes him MORE gray hairs. While this is good overall for JMU this will not make your AD's job easier. Increased success in life causes more work not less. If you haven't learned that yet in your life. Learn it and accept it now.

JMU2004
August 12th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Not being negative 2004 just being realistic. The reality at long time successful prgrams such as Montana and Delaware is that success breeds higher expectations and more criticism. Believe me after Keeler's 2002 year there were calls for his head. There had been serious Tubby Raymond critics at UD for years starting in 1967. Read the posts and see who it is from and then read the article. We are responding to your AD thinking he will have fewer gray hairs. In fact JMU's success causes him MORE gray hairs. While this is good overall for JMU this will not make your AD's job easier. Increased success in life causes more work not less. If you haven't learned that yet in your life. Learn it and accept it now.

thats a fact that I know very well blukeys

It will be up to Bourne to continue to grow our program. Future stadium/facility expansions are already in the works. He has made sure that Mick is one of the highest paid coaches in 1-AA. He has hired a great coach to rebuild our downtrodden bball program. Heck, he even hired Mick back in 1999. The man has had a proven record of success so far, and I think the article was trying to state that Bourne is enjoying his success.

Trust me...JMU fans have very high expectations, and we wil not let him slide :coach: or he will get the :anim_chai

CrunchGriz
August 12th, 2005, 06:55 PM
LMAO

Way to go grizbeer!! you said exactly what I was thinking when I read the article. 2 years ago a 7-4 record at JMU would have been a good season. Go 7-4 this year and miss the playoffs this year and LOOK OUT!!!

As a case in point, just check egriz.com sometime. You'd think the Griz went 0-11 last year instead of 12-3. Losing a championship game is a sure sign to many Griz fans that the coach is incompetent and should be run out of town on a rail.

I'd prefer to give JMU their props and let it go at that. One step below national champion is nothing to sneeze at, and if it indicates anything, it's that the Griz have not slipped from the top tier of I-AA. I would be dubbed a sugar-coater for saying that on egriz. Go figure.

If you stay at or near the top, you'd better get used to it, JMU fans.

Ronbo
August 12th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Well Crunch, just cause the neggy's yell the loudest does't mean they are a majority. There is maybe 2-3 real neggy's that regularly post, but they seem to hijack every thread lately. :bang:

blukeys
August 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
As a case in point, just check egriz.com sometime. You'd think the Griz went 0-11 last year instead of 12-3. Losing a championship game is a sure sign to many Griz fans that the coach is incompetent and should be run out of town on a rail.

I'd prefer to give JMU their props and let it go at that. One step below national champion is nothing to sneeze at, and if it indicates anything, it's that the Griz have not slipped from the top tier of I-AA. I would be dubbed a sugar-coater for saying that on egriz. Go figure.

If you stay at or near the top, you'd better get used to it, JMU fans.

Once again LMAO

No offense Crunch but I don't have to go to your board or the Georgia Southern board as I can read the same thing on the Delaware boards (names might be different but that would be the extent of it). I hate to say it but Delaware fans are spoiled brats who get royally pissed when Delaware does not win every game by 50-0. They are sort of like the old Saturday Night Live Da Bears crew who think that Ditka could beat the Cowboys 50-0 by himself. IF you want I can give you a link for boards that say.

1. Fire Ciarraca (offensive coordinator)
2. Fire Cohen (Defensive coordinator)
3. Fire Tubby (I know he is retired but they want to fire him anyway)
4. Fire KC
5. When is UD going I-A instead of hanging around the I-AA losers

As for the Montana board

1. what a bunch of losers to come into 2nd place.
2. 2nd place is just first loser.
3. Why didn't they do a better job of stopping the run.
4. When are they firing the D coordinator.
5. When is Montana going I-A instead of hanging around the I-AA losers :) :) :D :D

Hoo-ah
August 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM
You guys need to come to the Umass board--all they care about is fighting over going 1-A or non-scholarship, (neither which will happen for many years--if ever). :bang:

blukeys
August 12th, 2005, 07:57 PM
You guys need to come to the Umass board--all they care about is fighting over going 1-A or non-scholarship, (neither which will happen for many years--if ever). :bang:

I'll save my time Hoo-ah as I can't imagine UMASS idiocy being better than UD's idiocy. Non-scollie for UMASS? You mean there are idiots who WANT to play Williams and Amherst? My biggest problem with Whipple was how he dissed I-AA. I thought he was an excellent coach but why didn't he keep his mouth shut.

Delaware already meets I-A requirements for attendance and could afford the extra scollies and women's equivalents. But the administraition does not want to be another Temple. Should UD go I-A it would probably be with some A-10/CAA partners. Highest up on that list would be JMU and W&M but Umass would be in that mix as well if they were interested in a joint move that could result in a new conference. Don't hold your breath on this though. The UD administration is in a wait and see mode.

CrunchGriz
August 12th, 2005, 08:13 PM
As for the Montana board

1. what a bunch of losers to come into 2nd place.
2. 2nd place is just first loser.
3. Why didn't they do a better job of stopping the run.
4. When are they firing the D coordinator.
5. When is Montana going I-A instead of hanging around the I-AA losers :) :) :D :D

Amazingly, there has been little talk of firing the defensive coordinator...oh, yeah, he moved on to Cal Poly because of a family illness situation, I forgot.

Bobby Hauck takes almost all the heat on the Griz boards, for everything from so-called poor recruiting to having the nerve to lose three games last year--all are blamed on him. OC Rob Phenecie takes a bit of heat, too, for alleged failure to design a suitable offense to match the Grizzlies' offensive players' talents. Let's see, last year in the playoffs the Griz scored 56, 47, 34, and 21 points, for an average of 39.5 points/game. Yep, sure sounds like the OC isn't doing his job--after all, those were merely four of the best teams in I-AA last year, not to mention some of the best defenses (NW State came into the game as the top-ranked rushing D in the country, and got run over by Montana's so-called "passing" offense--the Griz only scored 56 in that one; poor game planning by the offensive/head coaches, I'm sure).

I often find more rational analyses of how the Griz are doing here than on eGriz or grizzlyboards. Sometimes you need to take a step back from internecine battles to see the bigger picture.

Like I said, you JMU fans enjoy your championship honeymoon: Either you go down in future seasons, and everyone goes ballistic, or you stay around the top, and expectations get ridiculous. Think "Nebraska" if you believe I'm too focussed on Montana.

blukeys
August 12th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I often find more rational analyses of how the Griz are doing here than on eGriz or grizzlyboards. Sometimes you need to take a step back from internecine battles to see the bigger picture.

Agree with you 100% Crunchy. I can't help but notice that all those critical fans are making beaucoup bucks coaching football. It seems that consumption of alcohol makes some folks smarter regarding how to coach a football team!!!! Pm me sometime if you want some Delaware sites that will make you laugh your ass off. Of course you have already seen the same stupidity on the GRIZ sites.

Best of luck to you guys this season.