View Full Version : Tarleton State Plan Includes Div I/FCS

TexasTerror
May 30th, 2007, 08:31 PM
The blueprint for the next ten years says that Tarleton State wants to position itself to move into Division I athletics here in the next 10 years in addition to a new arena facility on campus.

Tarleton State expressed an interest to join the Southland Conference during our last wave of expansion that saw Central Arkansas and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi join. They'd be a pretty ideal fit for the conference and truly in the shell of the conference.

http://www.tarleton.edu/~policy/strategic0711/slices/tsu2017beyond.jpg

Fresno St. Alum
May 30th, 2007, 08:39 PM
you da man TT. They'll have to speed up the plan if Texas St. leaves.

I heard that their president is retiring. Will that affect the plan?

TexasTerror
May 30th, 2007, 08:41 PM
you da man TT. They'll have to speed up the plan if Texas St. leaves.

Texas State, Lamar and UT-San Antonio are all 'up in the air' as far as movement goes...pending who you ask...

I heard that their president is retiring. Will that affect the plan?

This strategic plan was put together by a whole group of people, according to the web site.

http://www.tarleton.edu/~policy/strategic0711/acknowledgements.htm

One would think that this involvement by all as part of a 'master plan' for everything the institution does would be a basis for forward movement, regardless of what the President does or who he is. I did hear their President was retiring though....

Fresno St. Alum
May 30th, 2007, 08:44 PM
If all 3 leave where will they go? Only room for 1 in the Belt. They need another split for all 3 to find other homes.

TexasTerror
May 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM
If all 3 leave where will they go? Only room for 1 in the Belt. They need another split for all 3 to find other homes.

UTSA may go to C-USA. That's a pretty nice market and they are destined for FBS football in the Alamodome if they can get that together...

SLC 2013

West
Houston Baptist (non-FB)
Sam Houston St
Stephen F Austin
Tarleton St
Texas - Arlington (non-FB)
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (new FB)

East
Central Arkansas
Delta State
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Southeastern Louisiana

Schools desiring SLC invite...
Centenary
UT-Pan American

Fun to think about...
LSU-Shreveport
Oklahoma City University
Texas A&M-Kingsville

Fresno St. Alum
May 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM
TT, no Delta St. in the fun to think about?

TexasTerror
May 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
TT, no Delta St. in the fun to think about?

They are in the SLC East. xthumbsupx

Fresno St. Alum
May 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Oh, I didn't see that.

Poor UTPA got kicked out of the Belt and now no one will give them a home, not even the Summit

already123
May 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
id love to see them make it to Div I...

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Pretty soon DI is going to be WAY too big. There's already what, 330+ basketball teams?

Fresno St. Alum
May 30th, 2007, 11:31 PM
347 D-I basketball teams if you count OCU and the other newbies coming next year.
D-III 410 men's basketball w/newbies
D-II 282 men's basketball w/newbies

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 02:23 AM
347 D-I basketball teams if you count OCU and the other newbies coming next year.
D-III 408 men's basketball w/newbies

geez.xeekx

813Jag
May 31st, 2007, 06:53 AM
D-III 408 men's basketball w/newbies

That's alot of people sitting home in the post season. xeekx

CSUBUCDAD
May 31st, 2007, 07:14 AM
back when I played in HS it seemed like we were the feeder team for Tarleton. Sent a bunch of boys to play there in the 4 years I was playing.

aztecjim
May 31st, 2007, 07:45 AM
Fresno
Mind if I ask where that 347 number comes from? I have a list(yes I have no life) of 345 schools and that includes schools like Oklahoma City,Houston Baptist,Seattle,CSU-Bakersfield,SIU-Edwardsville,etc. Some of them have only announced they are going to ask for re-classification and haven't started the process yet.

chrisattsu
May 31st, 2007, 11:43 AM
TT,

Glad to see you are reading D2football...i mean messageboard (stupid Russian hackers...)

Anyways, I am glad to see that Tarleton is looking to move to D1.
I previously was informed that Dr. McCabe (current president) was interested in the move to D1, but we already money tied up in massive construction and launching several new programs around the university. I addition to this, Tarleton had the second lowest cost of attendance in Texas when I started there back in 2000. They pride themselves in that fact, and I believe they will be reluctant to raise their fees until they have to.

I think we would make a good travel partner for UTA, We could restart our history annual-rivalry with them.

We bring another football team to the conference.

One con that I see is that this move will hurt our top-ranked D2 Basketball team.
1. We had the longest streak in the region for playoff appearances (until last year).
2. Numerous #1 and top 10 rankings since 2003
3. Our current transfer class for the 07-08 season has transfers from St. Johns, U Minnesota, and U New Mexico.

I would hate to lose this especially since we have been to the elite eight and final four in recent years without winning the big game. But you shouldn't be afraid to move up.

Fresno St. Alum
May 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Fresno
Mind if I ask where that 347 number comes from? I have a list(yes I have no life) of 345 schools and that includes schools like Oklahoma City,Houston Baptist,Seattle,CSU-Bakersfield,SIU-Edwardsville,etc. Some of them have only announced they are going to ask for re-classification and haven't started the process yet.

I have a notebook where I track the all conferences in D-I,D-II,D-III,NAIA D-I,NAIA DII,NCCAA, & USCAA

Check the conference websites don't forget indy's
this is the best link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_Institutions
However theay haven't taken off Birmingham-Southern & they have USC-Upstate, FGCU twice but it's 347

Fresno St. Alum
May 31st, 2007, 03:24 PM
actecjim, there are a few of us that track this. TexasTerror is real good, collegesportsinfo, and me. The D-II board has cardinalfan. My guess is that you missed UTPA and Chicago St. They've been D-I for a while but both are Indy's, very forgetable

aztecjim
May 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Hmmm. I have 119 in FBS,124 in FCS, and 102 non-football schools. My FCS includes NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, UCA, UC-Davis, Presbyterian, Western Kentucky(for now), NCCU, and W-SSU. My I-AAA list(is it still called that?) has Campbell and ODU(for now), USC-U, FGCU, HBU, OCU, Seattle, SIU-E, CSU-Bakersfield, Longwood, Kennesaw State, UNF,and NJIT.

chrisattsu
May 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Hmmm. I have 119 in FBS,124 in FCS, and 102 non-football schools. My FCS includes NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, UCA, UC-Davis, Presbyterian, Western Kentucky(for now), NCCU, and W-SSU. My I-AAA list(is it still called that?) has Campbell and ODU(for now), USC-U, FGCU, HBU, OCU, Seattle, SIU-E, CSU-Bakersfield, Longwood, Kennesaw State, UNF,and NJIT.

Nope.. it is just called Division I

Fresno St. Alum
May 31st, 2007, 05:08 PM
When WKU leaves FBS 120
With ODU & Campbell FCS 127
Non FB 100

McTailGator
May 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM
UTSA may go to C-USA. That's a pretty nice market and they are destined for FBS football in the Alamodome if they can get that together...

SLC 2013

West
Houston Baptist (non-FB)
Sam Houston St
Stephen F Austin
Tarleton St
Texas - Arlington (non-FB)
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (new FB)

East
Central Arkansas
Delta State
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Southeastern Louisiana

Schools desiring SLC invite...
Centenary
UT-Pan American

Fun to think about...
LSU-Shreveport
Oklahoma City University
Texas A&M-Kingsville

McNeese (and other La. schools) will STRONGLY oppose granting membership to any school that does not play football.

I don't see Centenary, Tx PA, or Houston Baptist having a true shot at SLC membership.

Regarding T-State,,,

If Lamar does as is expected and brings back football along with T-A&M-CC, which is expected to start up FB in 2011, than one of those schools would replace TxSU if they decide to commit FBS suicide. This will give us 9 FB teams. Up one from the current 8 teams. 9 teams only gives us 3 OOC games, which makes it very difficult to get 6 home games every year if we schedule a FBS team every year for a much needed money game.

* 4 home SLC games; +
* 4 Away SLC games = 8 games;+
* 1 FBS away $ game = 9 games;
* This leaves only 2 games for home games which means the only way to get 6 home games is to schedule two D-II's every Year for games 10 and 11. 4 home SLC games in one year and 3 the next gives us a great opportunity to schedule home and home with a FCS team from another conference, which is good for our programs.

NO ONE WILL BE FOR ADDING A 10 th TEAM. 9 IS ONE TOO MANY GIVEN THE ABOVE INFORMATION. Thus, there is no way T-State get's an invite, unless both Lamar and T-A&M-CC decide not to start up FB teams.

aztecjim
May 31st, 2007, 05:41 PM
When WKU leaves FBS 120
With ODU & Campbell FCS 127
Non FB 100

You seem to have two more FCS schools than I do. 124-WKU+ODU+Campbell=125

Fresno St. Alum
May 31st, 2007, 05:49 PM
aztec, this should help

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/ARTICLE.ASP?ARTICLEID=82996

Plus N.Dakota, S.Dakota, Campbell, Old Dominion = 127

FBS + WKU =120

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM
it's a battle of informational purportions.

Go...gate
May 31st, 2007, 06:54 PM
It's all good - the more the merrier.