PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoff Games-Weather

KAUMASS
May 30th, 2007, 07:59 PM
If two regional teams are playing in the playoffs and within driving distance of a couple hundred miles of each other...aka...UMass vs. Colgate 2003, and the home field is under severe weather watch..i.e..(blizzard, heavy snow) and the other field is not under bad weather, should the game be moved?

ISUMatt
May 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM
nope

FlyYtown
May 30th, 2007, 08:02 PM
If two regional teams are playing in the playoffs and within driving distance of a couple hundred miles of each other...aka...UMass vs. Colgate 2003, and the home field is under severe weather watch..i.e..(blizzard, heavy snow) and the other field is not under bad weather, should the game be moved?

No; the team which is seeded or bids more should still keep the game. Chances are the other school; if just a hundred miles or so away, would have similar weather conditions.

Mountaineer
May 30th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I'd say - quit being a bunch of girly-men and play the damn game. xthumbsupx xlolx

NDSUFREAK
May 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
absolutely not

LeopardFan04
May 30th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I said no...I guess an exception would be dangerous weather, such as a hurricane, etc...but usually those don't happen in that late in the year anyway...

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM
We're talking about football here, not some sissy sport. Boy, do I remember UMass fans complaining about that trip to Colgate in 2003. Things were even worse a week later when Colgate and Western Illinois played in a blizzard. That was a fun game to watch. Still have a copy of it on tape.

NDSUFREAK
May 30th, 2007, 09:29 PM
If weather caused playoff games to be transfered to a different site then NDSU wouldn't have ever had a home playoff game during the Dacotah field days.

bobbythekidd
May 30th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I'd say - quit being a bunch of girly-men and play the damn game. xthumbsupx xlolx

Jeez, what he said. It's football, not diving.xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 09:56 PM
crazy idea. weather is a part of home field.

Zoo
May 30th, 2007, 10:09 PM
crazy idea. weather is a part of home field.

Exactly.

Though it would be awesome to see ASU play in a blizzard.

TheValleyRaider
May 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Football is for outdoors! :p xnodx

ngineer
May 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Football was meant to be played 'in the elements'---including grass...xnodx

gokats85
May 30th, 2007, 11:29 PM
No.

GOKATS
May 30th, 2007, 11:35 PM
No- absolutely not- it's football.

Tod
May 30th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I don't necessarily agree that football is meant to be played outdoors or in the elements, but I think it's meant to be where it's scheduled! xnodx

ButlerGSU
May 30th, 2007, 11:43 PM
No way, weather is part of football - hot or cold.

GolfingGriz
May 30th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Who are the two people who voted yes? Seriously?

ASU_Chad
May 30th, 2007, 11:49 PM
ASU has turf for a reason.

CopperCat
May 31st, 2007, 12:07 AM
No; the team which is seeded or bids more should still keep the game. Chances are the other school; if just a hundred miles or so away, would have similar weather conditions.

Bingo.

And no, it should never be moved. Come hell or high water, sleet, rain, or snow, play the game where it is supposed to be played.xnodx

BigApp
May 31st, 2007, 12:22 AM
heck no! weather has been a big factor over years to us

aggie6thman
May 31st, 2007, 01:07 AM
Why would there even be a need to give out home field advantage. Part of that is being able to play in the current weather conditions. If a team from California travels to the East Coast and has to play in snow, you get an even bigger home field advantage. Just like when those teams have to come out here and it is 110.

crunifan
May 31st, 2007, 01:10 AM
I don't necessarily agree that football is meant to be played outdoors or in the elements, but I think it's meant to be where it's scheduled! xnodx

Is that a subtle hint that you secretly love the UNI-Dome? :D

CoastalFan2005
May 31st, 2007, 01:47 AM
Absolutely not.

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 02:14 AM

exactly.

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 02:14 AM
Who are the two people who voted yes? Seriously?

3 people now. xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 02:15 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

bluehenbillk
May 31st, 2007, 07:06 AM
Football is meant to be played in ANY kinda weather. That's my biggest beef with the Super Bowl.

andy7171
May 31st, 2007, 07:12 AM

We're talking about football here, not some sissy sport. Boy, do I remember UMass fans complaining about that trip to Colgate in 2003. Things were even worse a week later when Colgate and Western Illinois played in a blizzard. That was a fun game to watch. Still have a copy of it on tape.

Jeez, what he said. It's football, not diving.xrolleyesx

Football was meant to be played 'in the elements'---including grass...xnodx

Oh man! You guys are going to get MPLSBISON all worked up over these comments!

saint0917
May 31st, 2007, 07:16 AM
Nope

BeauFoster
May 31st, 2007, 07:22 AM
If I can sit through bitter cold, snow, sleet, and freezing rain, then the players can play in those same conditions. The weather is part of the game. A team plays hard all year long to get home field (if we are talking about seeds), they should keep it. Play the stupid game where it is meant to be played.

Gil Dobie
May 31st, 2007, 07:47 AM
They should all be played in the Fargodome, so I can go to every game. ;)

saint0917
May 31st, 2007, 07:59 AM

That's because Umass should have held a home playoff game that year. And we are not saying Colgate should have played at Umass. Umass AND Colgate should have held home games that year. Umass was 11-1 in FCS play losing AT Delaware in 3 OT, and their only other lose was to 1-A power Kansas St. NO ONE in their right mind can tell me Umass should have played on the road that year. One of the criterias for making the playoffs is strength of schedule (Just ask San Diego:D ), and Umass got punished for it. And yet Three teams ranked lower than UMass were given home games 9-2 Northern Iowa, 8-3 Western Kentucky, and 9-2 Bethune-Cookman , runner-up in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, got a first-round home game, go figure. Thank you Wayne Hogan xrolleyesx

UncleSam
May 31st, 2007, 08:07 AM
I have to agree, UMass and Delaware may have been the top two teams in I-AA back in '03 and no way should UMass have been sent on the road for a 1st round game. That being said, the game should not have been moved due to weather conditions once it was scheduled to be played at Colgate.

89Hen
May 31st, 2007, 08:09 AM
aka...UMass vs. Colgate 2003... should the game be moved?
Well, I guess this wasn't the majority you were looking for. :p

spelunker64
May 31st, 2007, 08:12 AM
Yes votes from AppGuy04, JMUDrew, KAUMASS

Shouldn't be a problem when we're eligible...

SunCoastBlueHen
May 31st, 2007, 08:17 AM
Besides the logistical issues such as ticket purchases, ticket refunds, which school gets the gate money etc, etc. The answer is NOOOOOOO! It is football!!!!

Ivytalk
May 31st, 2007, 09:27 AM

Beat me to it!xbowx xbowx

"Gentlemen, it's worse than Green Bay in '65. Grow some!"

saint0917
May 31st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Yes votes from AppGuy04, JMUDrew, KAUMASS

How can you tell who voted yes?

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Umass was 11-1 in FCS play losing AT Delaware in 3 OT, and their only other lose was to 1-A power Kansas St.

What was their real record? They didn't play 12 FCS games that year.

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM
Well, I guess this wasn't the majority you were looking for. :p

xlolx xlolx xlolx

UncleSam
May 31st, 2007, 09:33 AM

Other than K-State, ALL UMass games were vs FCS (I-AA) schools in '03.

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 09:38 AM
Other than K-State, ALL UMass games were vs FCS (I-AA) schools in '03.

so were they 10-2 , 10-1 vs FCS?

DallasNeck
May 31st, 2007, 09:39 AM

I acutally played in that game and there was no football being played that day. It was more like ice skating with a football involved in the mix. The game should have been moved to Syracuse and played in the Carrier Dome. It's the only time I have felt that a game should have been moved, I will admit some bias since we lost.

saint0917
May 31st, 2007, 09:54 AM

My bad, 10-1 :o . 10-2 overall.

2003 Schedule (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/umas-m-footbl-sched-2003.html)

Bulldog87
May 31st, 2007, 12:24 PM
NO.BTW Dome stadiums should be outlawed. Football is an outdoor sport.

saint0917
May 31st, 2007, 12:38 PM

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Baseball too. xnodx xnodx

dbackjon
May 31st, 2007, 12:42 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Baseball too. xnodx xnodx

What is wrong with natural grass domed baseball stadiums?

saint0917
May 31st, 2007, 01:32 PM
What is wrong with natural grass domed baseball stadiums?

The grass part is good, but, baseball is to be played outside not inside.

Col Hogan
May 31st, 2007, 01:45 PM
That's because Umass should have held a home playoff game that year. And we are not saying Colgate should have played at Umass. Umass AND Colgate should have held home games that year. Umass was 11-1 in FCS play losing AT Delaware in 3 OT, and their only other lose was to 1-A power Kansas St. NO ONE in their right mind can tell me Umass should have played on the road that year. One of the criterias for making the playoffs is strength of schedule (Just ask San Diego:D ), and Umass got punished for it. And yet Three teams ranked lower than UMass were given home games 9-2 Northern Iowa, 8-3 Western Kentucky, and 9-2 Bethune-Cookman , runner-up in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, got a first-round home game, go figure. Thank you Wayne Hogan xrolleyesx

I have to agree, UMass and Delaware may have been the top two teams in I-AA back in '03 and no way should UMass have been sent on the road for a 1st round game. That being said, the game should not have been moved due to weather conditions once it was scheduled to be played at Colgate.

No...Weather is not a reason to move a game.

But Saint and Sam are right on about the 03 screwing UMass got over the home field...

Having said that, UMass lost, and neither field or weather were factors there IMHO.....

mrfeem
May 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
you should see spring practice in boone nc. its no picnic

lucchesicourt
May 31st, 2007, 03:45 PM
I replied yes, only because I assumed it was not because of inclimate weather, but because of hazardous conditions, such as tornado warnings, hurricane warnings, damage from earthquakes, etc. Moving games for non hazardous reasons should not be considered.

Go...gate
May 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM
No, a game should not be moved.

Mountaineer
May 31st, 2007, 04:32 PM
I replied yes, only because I assumed it was not because of inclimate weather, but because of hazardous conditions, such as tornado warnings, hurricane warnings, damage from earthquakes, etc. Moving games for non hazardous reasons should not be considered.

Well I think that'd be a given from anyone that otherwise voted "No". Those are extreme cases of weather and dangerous.

But to move it because of cold? a lot of snow? C'mon now..that's what makes football great. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM

Tornado warnings wouldn't give enough warning to move the games. They would be delayed or cancelled.

KAUMASS
May 31st, 2007, 07:14 PM
I acutally played in that game and there was no football being played that day. It was more like ice skating with a football involved in the mix. The game should have been moved to Syracuse and played in the Carrier Dome. It's the only time I have felt that a game should have been moved, I will admit some bias since we lost.

Another former player like myself who has a similar opinion...things that make you go hmmmm...

I bet DallasNeck watched the Delaware-Colgate game and puked..

blackfordpu
May 31st, 2007, 10:10 PM
No, weather has long been a tradition in football. Play it as it lies, so to speak.

McTailGator
June 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM
Nope,

Play the game.

BigApp
June 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
wow. 8 votes for "Yes" http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-4139.gif

Seawolf97
June 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Play the game

Maroon&White
June 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Only if a field is a little muddy should it be moved, right Mickey Matthews?

Mr. C
June 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Exactly.

Though it would be awesome to see ASU play in a blizzard.
It has happened before. People forget sometimes that Boone is in the mountains. Just ask Georgia Southern about Boone in December. One of only two playoff losses the Eagles had between 1985-90 was on a cold and snowy day at Kidd Brewer Stadium. ASU ended GSU's two-year championship run in 1987 with a 19-0 quarterfinal round win.

I remember another ASU home game with Western Carolina in Nov. 1995 when it was raining cats and dogs all morning up through kickoff and about 50 degrees. By the end of the first half, the temperature had dropped below freezing and it was snowing, with the first half having seen about every form of percipitation known to man. It snowed through the whole second half. After having their uniforms soaked and then getting snow and ice, those players in the two locker rooms were some of the most beaten up I had every seen.

KAUMASS
June 3rd, 2007, 08:40 AM
It has happened before. People forget sometimes that Boone is in the mountains. Just ask Georgia Southern about Boone in December. One of only two playoff losses the Eagles had between 1985-90 was on a cold and snowy day at Kidd Brewer Stadium. ASU ended GSU's two-year championship run in 1987 with a 19-0 quarterfinal round win.

I remember another ASU home game with Western Carolina in Nov. 1995 when it was raining cats and dogs all morning up through kickoff and about 50 degrees. By the end of the first half, the temperature had dropped below freezing and it was snowing, with the first half having seen about every form of percipitation known to man. It snowed through the whole second half. After having their uniforms soaked and then getting snow and ice, those players in the two locker rooms were some of the most beaten up I had every seen.

Homering aside, do you think the best team won in those games?

Eyes of Old Main
June 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Seeding must be preserved or the regular season becomes irrelevant. If seeding is not a factor, then it's less of a factor, but I still see no reason to move a game unless safety is an issue.

TheValleyRaider
June 3rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Homering aside, do you think the best team won in those games?

Homering aside, isn't the best team the one that can best adjust to the conditions and circumstances presented?

KAUMASS
June 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Homering aside, isn't the best team the one that can best adjust to the conditions and circumstances presented?

Yes, to an extent and you have a valid point. If you have a team with a strong passing game and play in a blizzard, it can severly hurt that team chances of winning. Kids work hard all season to get to a playoff game. Both teams have to play and adapt to those elements, I just don't think having severe weather affecting play and possibly affecting the outcome of a FCS playoff game is just, especially if the other regional opponents field is dry and not under the same weather conditions, or was forecasted for the same severe weather. This would be better for the whole playoff bracket, as the better team may, I repeat may, advance on a drier field. There would be no debating or crying, whatever you want to call it.

Again, there is no doubt that this can be debated forever and this is going to be a rare occurance in FCS, but it has happened. If the team has flown in, play the game as is. No questions.

BrevardMountaineer03
June 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
No. You earn Homefield advantage, whether by Seed or by bid, you still earned homefield advantage, therefore you should be at home, weather conditions favorable or not.

BrevardMountaineer03
June 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
Seeding must be preserved or the regular season becomes irrelevant. If seeding is not a factor, then it's less of a factor, but I still see no reason to move a game unless safety is an issue.

Here, here, I have to agree with my SOCON comrade. But maybe instead of moving it for safety reasons, how bout postponing it for safety, that way seeding will be preserved.

igo4uni
June 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM

Everyone loves the fabulous UNI-Dome!!!

Cobblestone
June 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Should a regional FCS playoff game moved due to weather? NO WAY!

colorless raider
June 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I'll take bad weather any day if I can generate our record in 2003!:)

Chi Panther
June 4th, 2007, 11:48 PM

I agree, Colgate got the home field and ran with it.

If it was possible to pass during that game WIU would have won in a romp.....

g-webb1994
June 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I can only think of three weather-related reasons to not play a game:

1. Lightning.
2. Hurricane with heavy winds, or already caused damage to area, destroying infrastructure.
3. Tornado warnings (which more than likely would fall under the lightning category).

Never play with lightning, period.

A blizzard in wintertime though....that is fun!

I remember during G-Webb's 1992 NAIA playoff run our first playoff game was in Boiling Springs in an absolute deluge all game, with the temperature somewhere between 35-40. I sure as hell didn't stay in the dorm that day like many of my fellow students. Front row on the 50 and soaked to the skin within five minutes, and would do it again in a heartbeat.xthumbsupx

nmatsen
June 5th, 2007, 08:53 PM

unless... well, you know.

nmatsen
June 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM

yet about every other year they play the worlds most important football game in the domexconfusedx xconfusedx