PDA

View Full Version : Ex Furmanite - QB coach at SC STATE

OL FU
August 12th, 2005, 01:04 PM
We may not fill up the pro's, but we do our best to fill up the coaching ranks. Usually, our ex players coach at Furman.

Go Bulldogs.

Matt Dougherty on the MEAC.

PRGONOSIS: After just missing out on a playoff berth a year ago, the Bulldogs have the pieces to contend in the MEAC again. If, as Pough says, the quarterback knows where the ball’s going. McCoy is a great athlete and has the potential to be a good player, and if quarterback coach and ex-Furman great Billy Napier can help him with his accuracy the Bulldogs’ offense should roll. Martin departs but the running game is still in good hands with Jackson, especially with four starters returning on the offensive line. South Carolina State’s defense was among the best in the league in scoring, passing and rushing, and will be solid again if it can replace some quality players at linebacker and in the secondary. The Bulldogs were probably a close loss to Wofford away from making the playoffs a year ago and have the ability to challenge Hampton for MEAC supremacy after sharing the crown a year ago. Playing tough games on the road won’t help, but S.C. State is a notch above everyone in the conference except the Pirates.

blueballs
August 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Napier played one of the best playoff games by an opposing QB against GSU in 2001 in the semis at Paulson that I can remember when he went something like 12-12 against a great GSU defense that was at that time two time defending NC's. The guy was nails.

Baldy
August 12th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Napier played one of the best playoff games by an opposing QB against GSU in 2001 in the semis at Paulson that I can remember when he went something like 12-12 against a great GSU defense that was at that time two time defending NC's. The guy was nails.

I also remember David Young's hit on Napier in 2003.....nasty but clean.

FU97
August 12th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Napier had been a graduate assistant at Clemson for the last few years.

Mr. C
August 13th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Matt Dougherty on the MEAC.

The Bulldogs were probably a close loss to Wofford away from making the playoffs a year ago ...
Was a win over Wofford last year really enough to get SC State into the playoffs? I doubt it. The Bulldogs didn't have the strength of schedule to make the field. Their schedule was comparable to Coastal Carolina, which missed out at 10-1. Wofford couldn't get in with an 8-3 record out of the SoCon and I would have taken 8-3 Lehigh, or 9-2 Cal Poly in a heart beat over a 9-2 or 10-1 SC State team.

Mr. C
August 13th, 2005, 12:53 AM
I guess my comparison between South Carolina State and Coastal Carolina was pretty accurate, at least if you base it on the GPI.