PDA

View Full Version : KEEP WRITING TO ATHLON, IT'S WORKING

saint0917
May 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I wrote to Athlon this morning, and I got a response already.

Thanks for your email. We appreciate the feedback. I have received several
emails about this matter, and I'm glad that you, and other FCS fans, have
made the effort to contact us. We do have coverage of three I-AA conferences Ivy League, Patriot League and CAA in our Eastern Magazine but do not have I-AA rankings and an All-America team in our National Magazine, as we have had in recent years. It seems as though we may have underestimated the interested in this section of the magazine. We won't be making any final plans for our 2008 magazine until next winter, but I can tell you now that we will strongly consider finding some space for FCS coverage.xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Thanks again,
Mitchell Light
Senior Editor
Athlon Sports

KEEP WRITING

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Getting ready to open MS-OUTLOOK, thanks for the info.

Mr. C
May 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I have exchanged some emails with Mitchell Light, the senior editor, this morning. At least, I think we have gotten their attention. I even offered to help them in the future with their FCS coverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring back FCS coverage in their magazine next summer.

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 10:03 AM
WAY TO GO MR. C!

dbackjon
May 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I got an identical e-mail from Mitch today. This is one time I wish I was still in Nashville - my old office was just down the street from Athlon's.

saint0917
May 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I have exchanged some emails with Mitchell Light, the senior editor, this morning. At least, I think we have gotten their attention. I even offered to help them in the future with their FCS coverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring back FCS coverage in their magazine next summer.

That would be great. xbowx xthumbsupx

UNHWildCats
May 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Mr. C you are a god among gods :)

UNHWildCats
May 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM
anyone have an email address to contact them??

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM
anyone have an email address to contact them??

I posted it in the thread I started about them ditching the FCS. You can email them at [email protected] or [email protected]

mcveyrl
May 30th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I got an identical e-mail from Mitch today. This is one time I wish I was still in Nashville - my old office was just down the street from Athlon's.

Hmmm...

dback calls him Mitch, they drop FCS after dback moves...

Coincidence or jilted lover???

You decide.

dbackjon
May 30th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hmmm...

dback calls him Mitch, they drop FCS after dback moves...

Coincidence or jilted lover???

You decide.
xlolx xlolx xlolx

I call him Mitch because that is the name he went by on the radio - he was a weekly guest on one of the sports talk shows there. ;)

catbob
May 30th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I received the same email as well. :)

igo4uni
May 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM

Woo Hoo Mr. C!!!!

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 06:34 PM
If they put it back in, will it really be worth reading.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 07:18 PM
If they put it back in, will it really be worth reading.

I posted this before and thought I should bring this up again in this thread. If they do add it next year EVERYONE needs to make sure to buy a copy. If they add it and they only sell 5-10 more copies it is not really worth it to them. They will pay 300-800 bucks to the writers for covering it so they will want to make sure they are making that much more money for it to be worth it.

Say on average they pay the writer 500 dollars that makes what 60-80 more copies? If everyone on this board buys one they will more than make that and probably see a reason to even expand the coverage.

Does anyone remember the coverage The Sporting News did back in the mid 90s? They used to have the top 10 by position, all-american teams, and a writeup for each league with a very good analysis on each team. They even had an all-conference team and an honor roll for each league. Theirs was my favorite until they dropped it.

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I posted this before and thought I should bring this up again in this thread. If they do add it next year EVERYONE needs to make sure to buy a copy. If they add it and they only sell 5-10 more copies it is not really worth it to them. They will pay 300-800 bucks to the writers for covering it so they will want to make sure they are making that much more money for it to be worth it.

Say on average they pay the writer 500 dollars that makes what 60-80 more copies? If everyone on this board buys one they will more than make that and probably see a reason to even expand the coverage.

Does anyone remember the coverage The Sporting News did back in the mid 90s? They used to have the top 10 by position, all-american teams, and a writeup for each league with a very good analysis on each team. They even had an all-conference team and an honor roll for each league. Theirs was my favorite until they dropped it.

I remeber that, I used to look forward to it coming out before each season. Back then I-AA (as it was known) got some very decent coverage. I hope we see a return to those days.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I remeber that, I used to look forward to it coming out before each season. Back then I-AA (as it was known) got some very decent coverage. I hope we see a return to those days.

I don't think you will see that again. They have scaled the coverage back gradually each year. TSN dropped it, Otto Fad stopped printing his yearly preview, and now Athlon drops it. It is really a shame.

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Here's a real trivia question. How many of you remember a newspaper type periodical that came out every summer named Dan & Peggy's? It covered I-AA, D-II and D-III football in depth. The editor's name was Dan Shonka (don't quote me on the last name) and his wife Peggy helped him produce it. Sadly they didn't keep up with the times and faded away with the advancement of the internet. But it was a publication that really did justice to the "small" college football world.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Here's a real trivia question. How many of you remember a newspaper type periodical that came out every summer named Dan & Peggy's? It covered I-AA, D-II and D-III football in depth. The editor's name was Dan Shonka (don't quote me on the last name) and his wife Peggy helped him produce it. Sadly they didn't keep up with the times and faded away with the advancement of the internet. But it was a publication that really did justice to the "small" college football world.

I heard of it. Dan runs Ourlad's scouting. He is known around NFL circles.

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2007, 10:00 PM

So we should all buy it in hopes that they make it good? Why do that when we already have a GREAT FCS preview mag?

ngineer
May 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM
As I posted elsewhere, I emailed at lunch today and got a response this afternoon. Basically the same that you got, but at least they're acknowledging the demand.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2007, 10:54 PM
So we should all buy it in hopes that they make it good? Why do that when we already have a GREAT FCS preview mag?

My point is that if people complain about them not having it then they need to buy it when they do. The big reason why those mags are dropping the coverage is that the increase in sells when they do is very minimal. I really don't care either way. I would like to see the coverage and told them that, however, if they don't it is not a big deal. Those mags have been around a while and if they want to be called a college football preview they need to preview ALL of college football.

There are a good bit of people on here complaining. If they are complaining just to get the coverage in there but don't plan on buying the mag then they are wasting time by trying to get it in there.

I'm just saying that if there are 6-8 people who don't buy it because of the lack of FCS coverage then there is no point. If they lose hundreds and then gain them back the mags will consider it a smart move. If they cover it next year and sales don't go up heavily you can expect them to drop it again.

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 02:25 AM
I'm just saying that if there are 6-8 people who don't buy it because of the lack of FCS coverage then there is no point. If they lose hundreds and then gain them back the mags will consider it a smart move. If they cover it next year and sales don't go up heavily you can expect them to drop it again.

Ok, I'm following your idea a little bit better now. I guess I could care less if they cover it. Only FCS stuff I usually read is local coverage or AGS related.