PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll mentioned in Cowboy's local paper....

buckp
May 29th, 2007, 12:44 PM
The AGS Preseason Poll was listed in the Lake Charles American Press today as a more realistic poll vs. Lindy's....:D

"With that in mind, it's been leaked that Lindy's college football preview will come out today with the Cowboys ranked No. 4 in (take your pick) the Football Championship Series or Division I-AA, whichever you want to call it."

"...But the other super-early preseason poll, the Any Given Saturday poll, has McNeese at a more realistic No. 12 and the Vikings at No. 14."

http://www.americanpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1154&Itemid=96

Go...gate
May 29th, 2007, 01:23 PM
For a minute, one might think that Dallas and Minnesota of the NFL (Cowboys and Vikings) were in FCS!! :)

89Hen
May 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
"...But the other super-early preseason poll, the Any Given Saturday poll, has McNeese at a more realistic No. 12 and the Vikings at No. 14."
The best poll out there earns some more respect. xthumbsupx

Cleets
May 29th, 2007, 02:03 PM
The best poll out there earns some more respect. xthumbsupx

I'll tell you... if I were a journalsit covering our beloved sport I would keep my eye on this forum...xnodx

(Mr. C... for example)

CopperCat
May 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'll tell you... if I were a journalsit covering our beloved sport I would keep my eye on this forum...xnodx

(Mr. C... for example)

In some instances I think some of the folks on this board know more than a lot of jounralists do!xcoolx And I don't necessarily think that is a good thing.

McNeese72
May 29th, 2007, 02:19 PM

(Mr. C... for example)

I think Gary Laney probably does. That's probably why he knows of the poll and why he mentioned it in the article.

Doc

aggie6thman
May 29th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I would imagine that most journalists do monitor the boards to find out any new rumblings within the department. I know that our local writer checks out AggieSportsTalk and even has a link to it on his sports blog.

McTailGator
May 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM

(Mr. C... for example)

The McNeese beat writer, who is one of the best in FCS IMO, does stop here from time to time.

He will eventually come out with his own pre-season ranking that you can just about bank will be pretty close at the end of the year. He really knows his stuff.

McBeat, don't let this go to your head if you read this...xsmiley_wix

Ivytalk
May 29th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Let's hear it for the Lake Chucky American Press!xbowx xbowx

PantherRob82
May 29th, 2007, 06:58 PM
very cool to see more coverage coming out.

blukeys
May 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
In some instances I think some of the folks on this board know more than a lot of jounralists do!xcoolx And I don't necessarily think that is a good thing.

WE DO KNOW MORE!!!!!!

Collectively.

I have friends here who can give me an honest appraisal of McNeese, SHSU, Montana, MSU, NDSU, Lehigh, Harvard, UNI, ASU, JMU, etc, etc, etc,.

Sportswriters either don't have this nationwide reach (they should) or are in many cases too lazy to use the contacts that are available and choose to go with the established order and tried and true.

Other polls use Sports Information Directors or AD's. Both groups are at their busiest during the fall and are lucky to see all of their own fall sports teams playing, forget about actually following football teams that will never play their own teams.

I have been on this board long enough to know who is a straight shooter and who is a flat out homer. We get the unvarnished truth from certain posters who know their teams inside and out and are willing to share the same with this community. If you pay attention to those worth paying attention to, you can make very intelligent choices regarding top 25. The Only concern that anyone has is the relative strength of the conferences from year to year.

We have had many threads about the "best" conference. For my money the Southern, CAA, and Gateway are the top tier with no one knowing who will actually be considered the best till the end of the playoffs when the REAL inter league competition begins. Because there is so little interleague competition it is hard to make clear judgements regarding the fine lines between a top ten and top twenty team before the season starts. However due to our collective wisdom, the AGS poll has consistently proven to be the most accurate poll of all of the others.

I am not convinced that this will be adequately acknowledged in the media as they will want to Promote the view of the "experts" (writers and AD's) over the more accurate opinons of the unwashed masses. But If we persist and do our jobs fairly we will win in the end. At some stage even sportswriters have to acknowledge who is the best. xnodx xnodx