PDA

View Full Version : PSU thinks this might be the year for them

grizbeer
August 12th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Not a lot of PSU (any?) fans here, so I thought I would post this link from the Oregonian. The article does point out how close PSU was to breaking through last year:

PSU won four consecutive games to close out a 7-4 season and they say that there's no reason why the trend can't continue. The Vikings are confident they can contend for their first- Big Sky Conference championship.

They were close last year. For example, they could have won two other games, but suffered late-game breakdowns that led to losses.

"We lost on the scoreboard because we couldn't finish. So our motto is: 'Did we learn how to finish or not?' " PSU coach Tim Walsh said Thursday during the team's media day at the Stott Center. "Finishing is an important part of any football game or contest. You can start great and get ahead and feel good about yourself, but if you don't finish the entire game, bad things can happen. If we learned anything from last year, hopefully that's what we learned.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/112384102038801.xml&coll=7

Ronbo
August 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Portland sure opened eyes last season when they lost to #18 Fresno State 27-17. It was the buzz on the WAC board and they were showing a new respect for the Big Sky.

It was Fresno State's 3rd game and Portland State's 2nd. Fresno State had beat U. of Washington 35-16 and Kansas State 45-21 prior to the PSU game.

catbob
August 12th, 2005, 10:00 AM
PSU could be dangerous this year, but how many times before have we thought that? They have to prove something before they warrant any respect in IAA, and the Sky. That being said, I'm worried about my Cats in Portland.

IaaScribe
August 12th, 2005, 12:51 PM
The loss last year to a bad Northern Arizona team was devastating for PSU.

DuckDuckGriz
August 12th, 2005, 02:24 PM
PSU is Jekyll and Hyde when they are having a great season.

Mr. C
August 13th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Isn't Portland State talking about how this year is going to be its break-through year just about every season? Even thought they always seem to have some quality talent, it just always seems like something is missing there.

grizfnz
August 13th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Same old story....... In 99 PSU beat UM in a thrilling overtime victory (the greatest win in PSU history according to the PA announcer) and had their sights set on winning the BSC in 2000. John Edwards started for an injured Drew Miller and the Griz came away with the win and later a trip to the chipper vs. GSU, while PSU stayed home for the holidays. If you read the PSU board, there seems to be many who think Walsh needs to find a new job. They seem to always have tallent, just missing the ability to put it to good use.

Pantherpower
August 13th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Portland State seems like Southwest Missouri State from the Gateway. Jekyl & Hyde as someone mentioned earlier here.

Every year, the chatter from SMS is "This is the year we are gonna breakout" They have a lot of returning talent, and need to prove it on the field.