PDA

View Full Version : Rumors of Albany moving to the Big South again...anyone hear anything

Ruler 79
May 29th, 2007, 10:39 AM
The rumor has surfaced that Albany WILL join the Big South. Anyone hearing the same?

dbackjon
May 29th, 2007, 10:45 AM
The rumor has surfaced that Albany WILL join the Big South. Anyone hearing the same?

Surfaced from where?

Ruler 79
May 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Their website

dbackjon
May 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Their website

Don't see anything here:http://www.ualbanysports.com/

Please link.

henfan
May 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Not sure I see where anyone connected with Albany has indicated that UA would be moving its FB program to the Big South. The only stuff I could find seemed to indicate that they would NOT be moving anytime soon.
http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4198

It would be nice if Ruler would share the link to which he's referred.xsmhx

Ruler 79
May 29th, 2007, 01:22 PM
http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?

As I said it is a RUMOR on their board.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Can't see them doing this. Stony Brook took an awfully big chance making their move.

zilla
May 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Whatever happened to the rumor about Jacksonville increasing the number of their scholarships & moving to the Big South? Anyone heard anything lately? I know many projected JU to leave the Pioneer & enter the BSC right around the time Stony Brook accepted its invitation.

henfan
May 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM
http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?

As I said it is a RUMOR on their board.

I don't mean to be a ballbuster, Ruler, but I honestly did not see anything on the Big Purple website that would indicate that the rumor was that UA "WILL join the Big South," as you indicated in your original post that began this thread.

Take a look at the deep link I provided. You'll read a post from 5/27which starts off as follows:

posted by Reeder on 5/27/07

FWIW, I heard from a pretty reliable source (outside of UA) that Albany planned on going to the Big South with Stony Brook but backed out...

The rumor was that UA back out, not that they were moving to the Big South.

Reeder indicated that he would not be suprised if UA announced that they were leaving for the Big South later this year. Understand though that appears to be his sole opinion and not the rumor he heard. Two different things completely.

As of right now, there's absolutely no indication that UA is moving to the Big South... unless our UA friends have juicy news to report.

aceinthehole
May 29th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I hope UA is staying for a while.

As a UA poster wrote on that board, the ONLY reason to consider such a move would be the GUARANTEE of an AQ. I have yet to see how the BS gets an AQ in 2010. That bid is not a given by any stretch.

SBU was in a huge bind because of the dificultly scheduling as an Independent. I think SBU jumped the gun in their move to full schollys. IMO their AD is crazy and his move out of the NEC backfired just as Albany and CCSU began to make national headlines (and polls). Albany doesn't have the scheduling (or ego) problem that SBU had and could, arguably, with their NEC and OOC schedule today qualify as an at large with some big wins.

The Danes would have to shell out a lot more $$ for schollys and travel in the BS, without any measurable increased chance in making the playoffs. Most UA fans seem content in the NEC unless the CAA came calling or if America East football comes to fruition. Albany is primed for the next step, but its not the Big South.

youwouldno
May 29th, 2007, 04:04 PM
All a conference really is a pre-made scheduling agreement, that you can't suddenly back out of. SB went Big South for scheduling reasons, as other posters have noted. UA has a conference...

danefan
May 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I haven't heard anything new. I don't think we would go to the Big South unless something happens with the NEC and schollys. Albany (along with a few others) are pushing to get the NEC to 45 schollys. If something happened with that who knows what would happen. I'm not even sure we can go to 63 rides yet because of Title IX concerns, but I don't have any raw data to back that up.

I'm very happy in the NEC so long as it goes to 45 rides. The goal at UA is to be full scholly, but not next week.

rmutv
May 29th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I think SBU jumped the gun in their move to full schollys. IMO their AD is crazy and his move out of the NEC backfired just as Albany and CCSU began to make national headlines (and polls). Albany doesn't have the scheduling (or ego) problem that SBU had and could, arguably, with their NEC and OOC schedule today qualify as an at large with some big wins.

Agreed. Keep in mind, Stony Brook was not the dominant team in the NEC. They had an equal share, essentially, with the likes of Monmouth, Albany, Central Connecticut State, and Robert Morris last year.

Monmouth went three and one against those four (lost to Stony Brook). Stony Brook went two and two (lost to CCSU and RMU). Albany went two and two (lost to Stony Brook and Monmouth). RMU went two and two (lost to Monmouth and Albany). CCSU went one and three (beat Stony Brook).

The one thing that SBU had is the fact they played a tough out of conference schedule (Hofstra, Georgetown, UMass, and UNH). However, they lost all four games, including large losses to UMass and UNH.

I think the Seawolves jumped the gun and they'll pay for it.

Fresno St. Alum
May 29th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hey what ever happened to that meeting with some FCS schools wanting to add non-scholly football? I thought it was supposed to be in May.

rmutv
May 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Hey what ever happened to that meeting with some FCS schools wanting to add non-scholly football? I thought it was supposed to be in May.

I think it's actually June 14th or so.

Fresno St. Alum
May 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I hope they can get some schools to start FCS football

ngineer
May 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Gosh with Stony Brook 'going South' ..if UA were to join, too, really couldn't call is "the Big South" anymore, could we...or "South of the St. Lawrence"...need a new thread to float suggested conference name change.xrolleyesx

DFW HOYA
May 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM
If Albany thinks about a move south, perhaps Central Connecticut would follow. Without it, CCSU will be the only large, state-supported school in an NEC that would contain Wagner, Monmouth, St. Francis, Sacred Heart, Robert Morris, and Duquesne.

Seawolf97
May 29th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I think Stonybrook will hold its own this year and be more than competitive in the Big South in 08.

ngineer
May 29th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I think Stonybrook will hold its own this year and be more than competitive in the Big South in 08.

I think they will be competitive, but it might not be reflected in the record; meaning that they'll be in most of their games but I don't see a lot of wins unless they get some breaks.

aceinthehole
May 30th, 2007, 09:52 AM
If Albany thinks about a move south, perhaps Central Connecticut would follow. Without it, CCSU will be the only large, state-supported school in an NEC that would contain Wagner, Monmouth, St. Francis, Sacred Heart, Robert Morris, and Duquesne.

I don't think the Albany "rumor" is even close to a possiblity and CCSU would never leave the NEC for the Big South. Unlike Albany or Stony Brook, CCSU is an all-sports member of the NEC.

The Blue Devils just made the NCAA men's hoop tourney with the AQ from the NEC and the Danes won the AQ from America East. So right now they are in 2 different conference for all sports, except football.

Its much more likely that CCSU is extened an offer to join the AE for all-sports, and it maintains NEC-football only membership, just like Albany, until a new New England/New York based football conference can be formed. You are right that CCSU doesn't fit the NEC profile, but that has more to do with early 1990s conference realighments than anything with football.

dbackjon
May 30th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Its much more likely that CCSU is extened an offer to join the AE for all-sports, and it maintains NEC-football only membership, just like Albany, until a new New England/New York based football conference can be formed. You are right that CCSU doesn't fit the NEC profile, but that has more to do with early 1990s conference realighments than anything with football.

Yup - NEC was better than CCSU's old conference - the Mid-Con

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2007, 11:42 AM
That would not make much sense: Albany going to the Big South. Frankly, I don't agree with what Stony Brook did either...

The NEC is a tough conference, and is going to continue its improvement.